Memory test

Jim the Geordie

Feb 13, 2024, 1:23:53 PMFeb 13
The location of this place came to me quite unexpected-ly
There's a tiny house there - by a tiny stream
If I told you any more then you would know.

Memory only!
NO GOOGLING!

Why that popped out of my memory, I have no idea.
--
Jim the Geordie

John Williamson

Feb 13, 2024, 1:29:19 PMFeb 13
In.
You are inside a small building.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Brian Gaff

Feb 13, 2024, 2:12:02 PMFeb 13
I cannot spell it, does it actually exist I thought somebody made it up
though apparently the word was written down in the studio when recorded by
Max.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Jim the Geordie" <j...@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote in message

Sam Plusnet

Feb 13, 2024, 2:38:41 PMFeb 13
Grate!

--
Sam Plusnet

Kerr-Mudd, John

Feb 13, 2024, 3:49:47 PMFeb 13
On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 19:38:36 +0000
Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com> wrote:

> On 13-Feb-24 18:29, John Williamson wrote:
> > On 13/02/2024 18:23, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> >> The location of this place came to me quite unexpected-ly
> >> There's a tiny house there - by a tiny stream

I gooved it was a rather long name. Max for short.

> >> If I told you any more then you would know.
> >>
> >> Memory only!
> >> NO GOOGLING!
> >>
> >> Why that popped out of my memory, I have no idea.
> >>
> > In.
> > You are inside a small building.
>
> Grate!

Please do not feed the troll. or throw axes at him.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Feb 13, 2024, 4:30:04 PMFeb 13
On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 18:23:49 -0000
Jim the Geordie <j...@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

> The location of this place came to me quite unexpected-ly
> There's a tiny house there - by a tiny stream
> If I told you any more then you would know.

Bedquilt.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Mike Spencer

Feb 13, 2024, 5:34:59 PMFeb 13
Unsure what this is about; as a Leftpondian I may be missing something
obvious to a Brit.

But the first thing that came to mind was the exterior of the Tooth
Fairy's castle as seen by Susan Sto Helit and Bilious in Hogfather.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

John Williamson

Feb 13, 2024, 5:38:53 PMFeb 13
V gubhtug onpx gb n CQC 10 va na Nzrevpna havirefvgl, naq n cynpr arne
Ghpfba Nevmban. But that's getting awfully close to a spoiler.

Jim the Geordie

Feb 13, 2024, 7:02:14 PMFeb 13
In article <20240213204944.a0fa...@127.0.0.1>, admin@
127.0.0.1 says...
I wanna tell you a story.

--
Jim the Geordie

Mike Fleming

Feb 13, 2024, 7:26:44 PMFeb 13
On 13/02/2024 18:23, Jim the Geordie wrote:
Was that where a lovely lass had a lovely dream, which came true quite
unexpectedly? I have some vague recall of a shilly shilly dum de dum de
dum by the seeeeeeaa. I don't think I've heard it since watching
Crackerjack [16:55] one Christmas in the mid-60s, so that's probably
wildly inaccurate.

[16:55] CRACKERJACK!

maus

Feb 14, 2024, 3:48:26 AMFeb 14
By the sea, if I remember,(50's?)

--
grey...@mail.com
Is There not even one Influencer here to torment?

nev young

Feb 14, 2024, 3:49:03 AMFeb 14
On 13/02/2024 18:23, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> The location of this place came to me quite unexpected-ly
> There's a tiny house there - by a tiny stream
> If I told you any more then you would know.
>
> Memory only!
> NO GOOGLING!

Summat like
Tvyyl-tvyyl-bffrasrssre-pnfra-obtra-ol-gur-frn.

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse

Brian Gaff

Feb 14, 2024, 4:01:08 AMFeb 14
No it was a song called after a place with a very long name which as far as
I know does not exist, but apparently its by the sea. Let me say that his
next hit was about a love affair between toothbrushes. They said the English
were mad!

He also had a hit about rain where he was joined by a very off key child
performer. Then he got one called Tulips from Hamster Jam and you need hands
where he tap danced on the record. Cutting edge stuff.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Mike Spencer" <m...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Feb 14, 2024, 4:02:55 AMFeb 14
It goes back a bit further than that.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Mike Fleming" <mi...@tauzero.co.uk> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Feb 14, 2024, 4:51:49 AMFeb 14
Spelling is wrong but I don't miss hearing Gilly Gilly gosenfeffer
catsenella bogen by the see.
Mind you there are a lot of songs that are in effect nonsense. what about
that one about doe's eat oats and lambs eat ivy?
Gilbert O'Sullivans Oh whackado Whacka day is another one, but then he
likes nonsense and ridiculous songs I mean what is Mr Moody's Garden about?

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"nev young" <newsforpa...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

Jim the Geordie

Feb 14, 2024, 5:03:17 AMFeb 14
In article <uqhupt$2ijtc$1...@dont-email.me>, newsforpasiphae1953
@yahoo.co.uk says...

> On 13/02/2024 18:23, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> > The location of this place came to me quite unexpected-ly
> > There's a tiny house there - by a tiny stream
> > If I told you any more then you would know.
> >
> > Memory only!
> > NO GOOGLING!
> >
> Summat like
> Tvyyl-tvyyl-bffrasrssre-pnfra-obtra-ol-gur-frn.

Indeed
You must be as old and daft as me.
--
Jim the Geordie

Jim the Geordie

Feb 14, 2024, 5:03:58 AMFeb 14
In article <uqhvgi$2itlh$1...@dont-email.me>, brian...@gmail.com says...

> No it was a song called after a place with a very long name which as far as
> I know does not exist, but apparently its by the sea. Let me say that his
> next hit was about a love affair between toothbrushes. They said the English
> were mad!
>
> He also had a hit about rain where he was joined by a very off key child
> performer. Then he got one called Tulips from Hamster Jam and you need hands
> where he tap danced on the record. Cutting edge stuff.
> Brian

All true.

--
Jim the Geordie

Nicholas D. Richards

Feb 14, 2024, 5:43:34 AMFeb 14
In article <MPG.4036a0361...@paganini.bofh.team>, Jim the
Geordie <j...@jimXscott.co.uk> on Wed, 14 Feb 2024 at 10:03:13 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
You, me and him, tree
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

chr...@privacy.net

Feb 14, 2024, 5:44:53 AMFeb 14
On 14/02/2024 09:51, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Spelling is wrong but I don't miss hearing Gilly Gilly gosenfeffer
> catsenella bogen by the see.
> Mind you there are a lot of songs that are in effect nonsense. what about
> that one about doe's eat oats and lambs eat ivy?

Mersey Docks and Harbour Board?

Chris

nev young

Feb 14, 2024, 5:53:34 AMFeb 14
I am now ear wormyed.
You can be too:
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=h9SChjqE07Q

Sn!pe

Feb 14, 2024, 6:44:10 AMFeb 14
The clerk will now proceed to read the order of the day.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Kerr-Mudd, John

Feb 14, 2024, 10:22:07 AMFeb 14
I wanna Pencil. ANNA Blue Peter Badge. Gimme.

Sn!pe

Feb 14, 2024, 10:55:07 AMFeb 14
My pal Round Roger did 'Double Or Drop', got the pencil and had it
nicked in the skool playground by a big boy wot dunnit and runned off.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Feb 14, 2024, 1:00:03 PMFeb 14
On Wed, 14 Feb 2024 00:26:39 +0000
Mike Fleming <mi...@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:

> [16:55] CRACKERJACK!

It's only Wednesday, you're twirly by two days.

Sam Plusnet

Feb 14, 2024, 3:17:30 PMFeb 14
Tvyyl Tvyyyl Bffrasrssre Xngmraryyra Obtra Ol gur Frn.
--
Sam Plusnet

Sam Plusnet

Feb 14, 2024, 3:24:56 PMFeb 14
On 14-Feb-24 10:53, nev young wrote:
> On 14/02/2024 10:41, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>> In article <MPG.4036a0361...@paganini.bofh.team>, Jim the
>> Geordie <j...@jimXscott.co.uk>  on Wed, 14 Feb 2024 at 10:03:13 awoke
>> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>>> In article <uqhupt$2ijtc$1...@dont-email.me>, newsforpasiphae1953
>>> @yahoo.co.uk says...

>>> Indeed
>>> You must be as old and daft as me.
>>
>> You, me and him, tree
>
> I am now ear wormyed.
> You can be too:
> https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=h9SChjqE07Q

Talking of earworms...

I have this bad habit of whistling 'tunes' when in certain rooms - it
must be the acoustics.

I should have said the tunes whistle me - since I don't do it
consciously - and if I try to stop it starts up again a few seconds later.

Yesterday I wandered from the kitchen into the storeroom whistling Tommy
Steel's "Little White Bull". I came out a couple of seconds later,
whistling some of the more interesting bits of the 1812 Overture.

Quite how one morphed into the other I cannot tell.

Is there a cure?

--
Sam Plusnet

Richard Robinson

Feb 14, 2024, 4:32:29 PMFeb 14
Sam Plusnet said:
> On 14-Feb-24 10:53, nev young wrote:
>> On 14/02/2024 10:41, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>>> In article <MPG.4036a0361...@paganini.bofh.team>, Jim the

>>> You, me and him, tree
>>
>> I am now ear wormyed.
>> You can be too:
>> https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=h9SChjqE07Q
>>
> Talking of earworms...
>
> I have this bad habit of whistling 'tunes' when in certain rooms - it
> must be the acoustics.
>
> I should have said the tunes whistle me - since I don't do it
> consciously - and if I try to stop it starts up again a few seconds later.
>
> Yesterday I wandered from the kitchen into the storeroom whistling Tommy
> Steel's "Little White Bull". I came out a couple of seconds later,
> whistling some of the more interesting bits of the 1812 Overture.
>
> Quite how one morphed into the other I cannot tell.
>
> Is there a cure?

Cork ?

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Hymermut

Feb 14, 2024, 7:01:25 PMFeb 14
On 14/02/2024 20:24, Sam Plusnet wrote:
.

> Yesterday I wandered from the kitchen into the storeroom whistling Tommy
> Steel's "Little White Bull".

Jeez! How old ARE you!

Tone

Sam Plusnet

Feb 14, 2024, 8:45:58 PMFeb 14
That was 1959 (google tells me), so I was a a worldly wise nine year old.

Unforgetting stuff like that is easy.
What we had for dinner yesterday? Now that's a tricky one.

--
Sam Plusnet

Hymermut

Feb 14, 2024, 8:57:42 PMFeb 14
I actually bought the 78rpm out of my garage hand wages!

Tone

Sn!pe

Feb 14, 2024, 9:31:53 PMFeb 14
My mum took me to see Tommy the Toreador
at the Odeon pictures when I was ~10 y.o.

maus

Feb 15, 2024, 2:33:28 AMFeb 15
It says in the song what place it is from, "Where the tulips Grow,"

The Netherlands. or as most people from West of There call it, Holland.
Unless they are thinking of the english "Holland"

Simon

Feb 15, 2024, 3:25:31 AMFeb 15
Yes please, whistling is the stuff of the devil.

--
Simon

RLU: 222126

Simon

Feb 15, 2024, 3:26:25 AMFeb 15
I know the song, but only because of the Barron Knights Little white
bum.

--
Simon

RLU: 222126

Brian Gaff

Feb 15, 2024, 5:24:25 AMFeb 15
For years I thought Some Enchanted Evening was Sam and Janet Evening mis-
heard lyrics are a very rich vein to mine.
Car and Mirror Mine
Bears and cubs have a devil for a sideboard

Of course the song written by Bruce Springsteen Blinded by the light is
total nonsense as he admitted himself, indeed it took Manfred Manns Earth
band to make it sound like it referred to female sanitary products to make
it a hit.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Sn!pe" <snip...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Feb 15, 2024, 5:24:25 AMFeb 15
74 in December if I make it.

I even remember the pheasant pluckers song.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Nicholas D. Richards" <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Feb 15, 2024, 5:27:34 AMFeb 15
For me the toothbrush song was the ear worm. Incidentally the sheddi
language in this thread is totally incomprehensible when read by my
screenreader.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Sam Plusnet" <n...@home.com> wrote in message

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Feb 15, 2024, 5:30:03 AMFeb 15
On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 08:25:29 -0000 (UTC)
Simon <Sim...@eu.invalid> wrote:

> Yes please, whistling is the stuff of the devil.

Aw now

If you're feeling in the dumps
Don't be silly chumps
Just purse your lips and whistle
That's the thing

Brian Gaff

Feb 15, 2024, 5:38:39 AMFeb 15
Yes don't you think Little White Bull took advantage of the fact that in
those days we did not understand the cruelty involved in bullfighting? Tommy
The Toreador would never be made today, nor do Spanish children singing in
English sound like those in the film.
I just wonder at what point Tommy Steele morphed from a pop singer to an
actor and purveyor of comedy songs? Who remembers I puts the lighty on, all
about a little man who lived in his fridge.
Mind you, over the years of pop music there have been some bizarre things
recorded by otherwise well respected singers. Take The Little Blue Man by
Petula Clark or her rendition of Make Way, which appears to have a lot in
common with the Yellow rose of Texas and other traditional songs.
If Helen Reddy were still alive and had just recorded Angy baby would it
have been as much of a hit as it was?

I just have to go and play Purple People Eater by Sheb Wooley. I'm sure that
song inspired Rap-Ture.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Simon" <Sim...@eu.invalid> wrote in message

Nicholas D. Richards

Feb 15, 2024, 5:41:14 AMFeb 15
In article <uqjr2k$2tdvo$1...@dont-email.me>, Hymermut <to...@email.com> on
Thu, 15 Feb 2024 at 01:57:39 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
C*rses, I cannot get Ferrous Tommy out of my mind now. He has quite made
me forget what I had for dinner (at least that is my excuse, and I am
sticking to it).
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Brian Gaff

Feb 15, 2024, 5:44:28 AMFeb 15
That post had everything twice. What is going on. Oh I have it on 45, having
migrated to these quite recently. Was it not Singing Time on the B side of
the single? Decca have a lot to answer for.
Yes I can remember what I did yesterday too, but the problem seems to be
that it has to do with named people or telephone numbers I never know what
they were. Likewise the order in which I do things seems seldom to be
preserved. I think as we age the memories get fragmented and re-stored
making things like ordering and details hard to recall at the time you need
them. That is why we are so bad at remembering passwords.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Hymermut" <to...@email.com> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Feb 15, 2024, 5:47:54 AMFeb 15
I heard Little White Bull only three days ago on Boom Radio.
Like the old saying goes, what goes around comes around.

Going on to the 70s, I still get ear wormed by Harry Nielsen's Coconut song.
Total rubbish but somehow annoyingly catchy.
Brian

--

--:
> "Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Feb 15, 2024, 7:30:05 AMFeb 15
On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 10:38:34 -0000
"Brian Gaff" <brian...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If Helen Reddy were still alive and had just recorded Angy baby would it
> have been as much of a hit as it was?

Dunno but it goes down well at the open mic night when I play it.

Peter

Feb 15, 2024, 7:53:07 AMFeb 15
Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com> wrote in news:sd9zN.113179$c1y8....@fx15.ams1:
V nyjnlf urneq gung nf "bffracrccre".Arire vzntvarq gung vg zvtug or bgure
guna n pbaqvzrag.

--
Peter
-----

Peter

Feb 15, 2024, 7:59:32 AMFeb 15
Hymermut <to...@email.com> wrote in news:uqjk8j$2p10k$3...@dont-email.me:
I ohled Tommy Steele's "whistling the blues" (1957) on a 78 out of my pocket
money. I'd have been 11.

--
Peter
-----

maus

Feb 15, 2024, 9:38:46 AMFeb 15
On 2024-02-15, Brian Gaff <brian...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes don't you think Little White Bull took advantage of the fact that in
> those days we did not understand the cruelty involved in bullfighting? Tommy
> The Toreador would never be made today, nor do Spanish children singing in
> English sound like those in the film.
> I just wonder at what point Tommy Steele morphed from a pop singer to an
> actor and purveyor of comedy songs? Who remembers I puts the lighty on, all
> about a little man who lived in his fridge.
> Mind you, over the years of pop music there have been some bizarre things
> recorded by otherwise well respected singers. Take The Little Blue Man by
> Petula Clark or her rendition of Make Way, which appears to have a lot in
> common with the Yellow rose of Texas and other traditional songs.
> If Helen Reddy were still alive and had just recorded Angy baby would it
> have been as much of a hit as it was?
>

> I just have to go and play Purple People Eater by Sheb Wooley. I'm sure that
> song inspired Rap-Ture.
> Brian

Tommy was big when i was young. The rumor was that whoever controlled
him would only allow rubber strings in his guitar, and when he visited
Ireland, he had to leave his hotel room, while a group of specially
hired thugs trashed it, the image of a pop star included him trashing
the room. Migh have been a decent guy, but we will never really know.

Sam Plusnet

Feb 15, 2024, 1:43:02 PMFeb 15
On 15-Feb-24 2:31, Sn!pe wrote:
> Hymermut <to...@email.com> wrote:
>
>> On 14/02/2024 20:24, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> .
>>>
>>> Yesterday I wandered from the kitchen into the storeroom whistling Tommy
>>> Steel's "Little White Bull".
>>
>> Jeez! How old ARE you!
>>
>> Tone
>
> My mum took me to see Tommy the Toreador
> at the Odeon pictures when I was ~10 y.o.

We must be (more or less) con temporaries.
I was just shy of my tenth birthday when the song came out. I assume
that was at much the same time as the filum.

--
Sam Plusnet

Hymermut

Feb 15, 2024, 3:35:55 PMFeb 15
I go back to 'Rock With The Cavemen' !

Tone

Nicholas D. Richards

Feb 16, 2024, 5:02:53 AMFeb 16
In article <uqlsj9$3ff0j$1...@dont-email.me>, Hymermut <to...@email.com> on
Thu, 15 Feb 2024 at 20:35:52 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
Last Train to San Fernando.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Sn!pe

Feb 16, 2024, 10:06:02 AMFeb 16
Nicholas D. Richards <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote:

> Hymermut <to...@email.com> wrote:
> >On 15/02/2024 18:43, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> >> On 15-Feb-24 2:31, Sn!pe wrote:
[...]
> >> We must be (more or less) con temporaries.
> >> I was just shy of my tenth birthday when the song came out.
> >> I assume that was at much the same time as the filum.
> >>

> >I go back to 'Rock With The Cavemen' !
> >

> Last Train to San Fernando.

# Last train to San Fernando, last train to San Fernando
# If you miss this one, you'll never get another one
# Bee-dee-dee-dee-bom-bom to San Fernando.

[sigh]

maus

Feb 16, 2024, 10:42:12 AMFeb 16
Don't Miss It

Nicholas D. Richards

Feb 16, 2024, 11:08:09 AMFeb 16
In article <1qp105z.1vs642y5dp3r5N%snip...@gmail.com>, Sn!pe
<snip...@gmail.com> on Fri, 16 Feb 2024 at 15:05:59 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
>Nicholas D. Richards <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote:
>
>> Hymermut <to...@email.com> wrote:
>[...]
>> >>

>> >I go back to 'Rock With The Cavemen' !
>> >

>> Last Train to San Fernando.
>>

># Last train to San Fernando, last train to San Fernando
># If you miss this one, you'll never get another one
># Bee-dee-dee-dee-bom-bom to San Fernando.
>
>[sigh]

I was only nine and we, (my first bestest friend - Stuart Maxwell by
name) used to listen to it, over and over again. Friendship ended, as
his parents sent him away to boarding school.

--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

James Heaton

Feb 16, 2024, 5:52:28 PMFeb 16
Preferred 'last train to Glasgow Central' myself...

James

chr...@privacy.net

Feb 17, 2024, 7:22:15 AMFeb 17
Ok, I'll raise you: "Last Train To Clarksville"...*

Chris

*Beeching really did swing his axe widely didn't he?

Abandoned Trolley

Feb 17, 2024, 8:48:05 AMFeb 17

> Ok, I'll raise you: "Last Train To Clarksville"...*
>
> Chris
>
> *Beeching really did swing his axe widely didn't he?

I think Beeching just wrote a "report" - and the actual axe swinging was
carried by the incoming Labour Government ?

Nicholas D. Richards

Feb 17, 2024, 12:33:38 PMFeb 17
In article <l3bmnk...@mid.individual.net>, chr...@privacy.net
<chr...@privacy.net> on Sat, 17 Feb 2024 at 12:22:12 awoke Nicholas
But the last train still passes through Addlestrop. It never stops, at
the now non-existent platform.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Chris Elvidge

Feb 18, 2024, 9:30:46 AMFeb 18
Yes, I remember Adlestrop, the name ....

--
Chris Elvidge, England
BUTT.COM IS NOT MY E-MAIL ADDRESS

Kerr-Mudd, John

Feb 18, 2024, 10:01:51 AMFeb 18
Never mind all that, what I want to know is: Are there buttered scones
for tea?

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Peter

Feb 18, 2024, 10:22:35 AMFeb 18
Chris Elvidge <ch...@mshome.net> wrote in
because one afternoon
Of heat the express-train drew up there
Unwontedly. It was late June.

--
Peter
-----

Richard Robinson

Feb 18, 2024, 10:32:44 AMFeb 18
Kerr-Mudd, John said:

> Never mind all that, what I want to know is: Are there buttered scones
> for tea?

It depends on whether you got to the shops & back. And then whether you
CBA to butter them.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Kerr-Mudd, John

Feb 18, 2024, 11:28:09 AMFeb 18
Precisély

Tim+

Feb 18, 2024, 2:24:50 PMFeb 18
Richard Robinson <ric...@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:
> Kerr-Mudd, John said:
>>
>> Never mind all that, what I want to know is: Are there buttered scones
>> for tea?
>
> It depends on whether you got to the shops & back. And then whether you
> CBA to butter them.

Heresy! What kind of animal would eat a scone without butter??

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Adrian

Feb 18, 2024, 4:21:04 PMFeb 18
In message
<1081257410.729977040.890489...@news.individual.
net>, Tim+ <timdo...@yahoo.co.youkay> writes
>Richard Robinson <ric...@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:
>> Kerr-Mudd, John said:
>>>
>>> Never mind all that, what I want to know is: Are there buttered scones
>>> for tea?
>>
>> It depends on whether you got to the shops & back. And then whether you
>> CBA to butter them.
>>

>Heresy! What kind of animal would eat a scone without butter??

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Richard Robinson

Feb 18, 2024, 5:57:22 PMFeb 18
Tim+ said:
> Richard Robinson <ric...@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:
>> Kerr-Mudd, John said:
>>>
>>> Never mind all that, what I want to know is: Are there buttered scones
>>> for tea?
>>
>> It depends on whether you got to the shops & back. And then whether you
>> CBA to butter them.
>
> Heresy! What kind of animal would eat a scone without butter??

An elephant. HTH.

Sn!pe

Feb 18, 2024, 6:45:34 PMFeb 18
Richard Robinson <ric...@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:

> It depends on whether you got to the shops & back.
> And then whether you CBA to butter them.

Buttered shops? I'm up for: battered (with chips and pickled Onion);
Pizza alla stylee Romanian; curried; sweet 'n' sour chinese; but neither
laundrettes nor poast offices, TYVM.

I suspect that butter may be inappropriate in some of the above cases.

me9

Feb 18, 2024, 9:08:04 PMFeb 18
snip...@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:

> Richard Robinson <ric...@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > It depends on whether you got to the shops & back. And then whether you
> > CBA to butter them.
>
> Buttered shops? I'm up for: battered (with chips and pickled Onion);
> Pizza alla stylee Romanian; curried; sweet 'n' sour chinese; but neither
> laundrettes nor poast offices, TYVM.
>
> I suspect that butter may be inappropriate in some of the above cases.

Well I CBA to cook my fish and chips today so had buttered fish instead.

--
braind

Brian Gaff

Feb 19, 2024, 6:30:39 AMFeb 19
I had not realised before a few days ago that London Overground were in fact
originally lesser used lines of the old British Rail, which with some
investment and new stations actually make money for the company with the
franchise and TFL now. It does make you wonder if the Beeching remit was, as
has been mooted to deliberately run down the railways in order to make large
road projects more likely to be built as members of the Government had
shares in the companies building them.

When we say Last train, in some instances it means the last train today, but
as for the Nancy Whisky song, I don't know enough about US rail history to
know if its based on anything real.
I gather from that song City of New Oreans that Rail travel is declining in
the US as it is shall we say leisurely, and most people want to get to
places yesterday, so to speak. I used to like the trains when I was younger
and could see. You tended to have a good panoramic of country and towns and
you could lose yourself in thought. A friend of mine who is now no longer
with us said that you could meet some famous people on trains.

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
<chr...@privacy.net> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Feb 19, 2024, 6:35:21 AMFeb 19
Does anyone know if the platforms still exist at Minehead, no tracks no
trains when I was last there.
Brian

--

--:
"Chris Elvidge" <ch...@mshome.net> wrote in message
> [...]

Brian Gaff

Feb 19, 2024, 6:41:11 AMFeb 19
Around those times, late 50s and early 60s, it now seems obvious that we all
spoke differently, and so much is different now in oh so many ways. The
films from back then seem like they are from another planet, but I lived
through the years and never really noticed the changes at the time, its only
later on that they become obvious.

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Kerr-Mudd, John" <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Feb 19, 2024, 6:46:23 AMFeb 19
Off on a tangent, Does anyone recall Balham, Gateway to the South?

On that same Parlaphone LP was a track called Party Political Speech. Apart
from the accent, the words could apply to today.
IE he never answers the questions he poses but bullshits his way through
without saying anything at all.
And let me tell you, I do not consider existing conditions likely, we must
build, but build surely, and in conclusion , let me say just this....

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Richard Robinson" <ric...@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Feb 19, 2024, 6:47:25 AMFeb 19
And is there Honey still for tea? Honey's off dear.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tim+" <timdo...@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Feb 19, 2024, 6:49:17 AMFeb 19
Was that post trunkated?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Richard Robinson" <ric...@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Feb 19, 2024, 6:53:59 AMFeb 19
My news feed is going backwards now, bah humbug. Brian

--

--:
"Brian Gaff" <brian...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> 74 in December if I make it.
>
> I even remember the pheasant pluckers song.
> Brian
>
> --
>
> --:
> This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
> The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
> bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
> Blind user, so no pictures please
> Note this Signature is meaningless.!
> "Nicholas D. Richards" <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote in message
>> In article <MPG.4036a0361...@paganini.bofh.team>, Jim the
>> Geordie <j...@jimXscott.co.uk> on Wed, 14 Feb 2024 at 10:03:13 awoke
>> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>>>In article <uqhupt$2ijtc$1...@dont-email.me>, newsforpasiphae1953
>>>@yahoo.co.uk says...

>>>Indeed
>>>You must be as old and daft as me.
>>
>> You, me and him, tree
>> --
>> 0sterc@tcher -
>>
>> "Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

John Williamson

Feb 19, 2024, 6:57:41 AMFeb 19
On 19/02/2024 11:30, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I had not realised before a few days ago that London Overground were in fact
> originally lesser used lines of the old British Rail, which with some
> investment and new stations actually make money for the company with the
> franchise and TFL now. It does make you wonder if the Beeching remit was, as
> has been mooted to deliberately run down the railways in order to make large
> road projects more likely to be built as members of the Government had
> shares in the companies building them.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

John Williamson

Feb 19, 2024, 6:59:36 AMFeb 19
Oops, finger trouble, trying again.

I heard that it was some of Beeching's personal friends that owned the
road builders.

On 19/02/2024 11:30, Brian Gaff wrote:
> It does make you wonder if the Beeching remit was, as
> has been mooted to deliberately run down the railways in order to make large
> road projects more likely to be built as members of the Government had
> shares in the companies building them.

chr...@privacy.net

Feb 19, 2024, 7:22:46 AMFeb 19
I have always understood that Marples (Transport minister?) was the
problem? ISTR that he allegedly left the country with a large sack of
dosh and was never seen again?

Chris

Simon

Feb 19, 2024, 7:30:39 AMFeb 19
Someone with jam and cream? The order I leave up to you depending on
your county of choice.

--
Simon

RLU: 222126

Kerr-Mudd, John

Feb 19, 2024, 8:02:12 AMFeb 19
On Mon, 19 Feb 2024 11:47:23 -0000
"Brian Gaff" <brian...@gmail.com> wrote:

> And is there Honey still for tea? Honey's off dear.
> Brian

Darn it, you're right; Is that the time?

Nicholas D. Richards

Feb 19, 2024, 8:03:32 AMFeb 19
In article <uqt4ak$169df$1...@dont-email.me>, Chris Elvidge
<ch...@mshome.net> on Sun, 18 Feb 2024 at 14:30:43 awoke Nicholas from
It was my father's favourite pome. Comes in my eight desert island
pomes.

One hot summer afternoon I visited Adlestrop, because of the pome.
Inside the village bus stop was the a bench seat from the station
waiting room and the platform 'Adlestrop' sign.

Somewhere or other I read that it had been nicked and a replacement
made.

"Not guilty Guv", and I am sticking to that.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Nicholas D. Richards

Feb 19, 2024, 8:28:32 AMFeb 19
In article <l3gu56...@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson
<johnwil...@btinternet.com> on Mon, 19 Feb 2024 at 11:59:34 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>Oops, finger trouble, trying again.
>
>I heard that it was some of Beeching's personal friends that owned the
>road builders.

I do not know about Dr. Beeching, he was a long term employee of ICI on
secondment.

The Minister of Transport who oversaw the great expansion in major
roadways and motorways was one Ernest Marples. He was an 80% majority
shareholder in Marples Ridgeway, a major Civil Engineering company with
fists in the roads expansion programme. Although he was supposed to
divest himself of all interests in Marples Ridgeway he went through all
sorts of chicanery to ensure that he could buy back his shares at the
price he sold them.

Marples was odious; OTOH my view of Beeching was that he was a business
man out of his depth where the railways were concerned. I would not
impute Beeching's motives and believe he was genuinely shocked at the
reaction to his two reports.

Top posted!

Nicholas D. Richards

Feb 19, 2024, 8:28:33 AMFeb 19
In article <l3gvgk...@mid.individual.net>, chr...@privacy.net
<chr...@privacy.net> on Mon, 19 Feb 2024 at 12:22:44 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
When the shit threatened to hit the fan he suddenly left the country. He
remained abroad until he had come to an 'arrangement' with the Inland
Revenue.

Abandoned Trolley

Feb 19, 2024, 8:55:07 AMFeb 19

> When the shit threatened to hit the fan he suddenly left the country. He
> remained abroad until he had come to an 'arrangement' with the Inland
> Revenue.

Not just the Inland Revenue - he could have been jailed for taking cash
out of the country

Nicholas D. Richards

Feb 19, 2024, 11:48:43 AMFeb 19
In article <uqvmjq$1t5ae$1...@dont-email.me>, Abandoned Trolley <fred@fred-
smith.co.uk> on Mon, 19 Feb 2024 at 13:55:07 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote

I had forgotten about that, and exchange control was not a very large
amount, £50 and £15 in cash, IIRC. You can take as much as you like
now, but you have to report (to who/whom?) if you wish to take more than
£10,000 in cash.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Abandoned Trolley

Feb 19, 2024, 12:07:05 PMFeb 19

>> Not just the Inland Revenue - he could have been jailed for taking cash
>> out of the country
>
> I had forgotten about that, and exchange control was not a very large
> amount, £50 and £15 in cash, IIRC. You can take as much as you like
> now, but you have to report (to who/whom?) if you wish to take more than
> £10,000 in cash.

According to wikipedia ... "In November 1977, he paid £7,600 to the
British government in settlement of his breach of exchange control
regulations" - so I am assuming that he must have exceeded the (£10 ?)
limit by some margin.

I am told that the Great Train Robbery plot started to unravel when one
of the junior gang members was detained at Heathrow airport and arrested
on the spot when he was found to be carrying £18,000 in cash

Sam Plusnet

Feb 19, 2024, 1:50:24 PMFeb 19
On 19-Feb-24 11:46, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Off on a tangent, Does anyone recall Balham, Gateway to the South?
>

> On that same Parlaphone LP was a track called Party Political Speech. Apart
> from the accent, the words could apply to today.
> IE he never answers the questions he poses but bullshits his way through
> without saying anything at all.
> And let me tell you, I do not consider existing conditions likely, we must
> build, but build surely, and in conclusion , let me say just this....

Also Eccles counting the votes after the election.

--
Sam Plusnet

Nicholas D. Richards

Feb 19, 2024, 5:48:59 PMFeb 19
In article <ur01rn$1vnk9$1...@dont-email.me>, Abandoned Trolley <fred@fred-
smith.co.uk> on Mon, 19 Feb 2024 at 17:07:03 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote

I would suggest that the discovery was not accidental. I must go back to
my cousin's definitive book on said robbery. My cousin also made a TV
docudrama program about it.

On that weekend I started a 3 week exchange in France. The father of
the boy who was my exchange partner joshed with me that I was on the run
from les flics.

Abandoned Trolley

Feb 20, 2024, 4:06:29 AMFeb 20

> I would suggest that the discovery was not accidental. I must go back to
> my cousin's definitive book on said robbery. My cousin also made a TV
> docudrama program about it.
>
> On that weekend I started a 3 week exchange in France. The father of
> the boy who was my exchange partner joshed with me that I was on the run
> from les flics.

"docudrama" = fact ?

I believe that the Exchange Control Act of 1948 was still in force up to
1979, (long after we had joined the EEC) when the incoming Tory
government dispensed with it.

At the time the Thatcher woman explained it away by saying that it had
outlived its usefulness and would allow foreign investment in the country.

To me that sounds like "ThatcherSpeak" for "everything is for sale"

In that context, I don’t suppose the circumstances surrounding the
arrest of an armed robber are of much importance

Nicholas D. Richards

Feb 20, 2024, 5:57:26 AMFeb 20
In article <ur1q2k$2e0v3$1...@dont-email.me>, Abandoned Trolley <fred@fred-
smith.co.uk> on Tue, 20 Feb 2024 at 09:06:28 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
1963 (Macmillan/Home) and 1979 (Gungpure - spit) were very different
times. If you were around in 1963 you would be aware that the
establishment reacted as if they had been existentially affronted. East
End gangsters falling out, so what, especially when many in the
establishment were having their peccadilloes catered for by those self
same gangsters (see Lord(!) Boothby). East End gangsters rob, very
publicly, the establishment and the book is thrown at them. A belted
earl murders his children's nanny (by mistake) and he is helped to
escape ("Well, she was only the nanny").

Richard Robinson

Feb 20, 2024, 1:27:53 PMFeb 20
"The brains behind the Windscale disaster".