Driving Assessment

Tone

Nov 2, 2022, 8:30:08 PM11/2/22
A brown envelope arrived yesterday, stating that I have to have a
driving assessment test, to see if I'm still safe on the roads, the
latest result of the X^4's narcissist son's claim that I'm not.

Don't know when it is yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Tone

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Nov 3, 2022, 12:01:22 PM11/3/22
Here in Ontario there is a special process for 80-year-olds
to renew their drivers licence - which _may_ require them
to take a road test.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/renew-g-drivers-licence-80-years-and-over

Could this be your first renewal since turning 80 and thus
a new-to-you but normal process ?
John T.

RustyHinge

Nov 3, 2022, 1:15:47 PM11/3/22
This is the latest stage in a sorry tale of aggravation.

--
Rusty Hinge

Tone

Nov 3, 2022, 1:36:41 PM11/3/22
On 03/11/2022 16:01, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:
It's been ongoing since I received this email from him.

"Have you had a letter from the DVLA yet? You'll soon be getting one."

Tone

Tone

Nov 3, 2022, 1:44:47 PM11/3/22
On 03/11/2022 17:15, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 03/11/2022 16:01, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>> On Thu, 3 Nov 2022 00:30:06 +0000, Tone <to...@email.com> wrote:
>>
>>> A brown envelope arrived yesterday, stating that I have to have a
>>> driving assessment test, to see if I'm still safe on the roads, the
>>> latest result of the X^4's narcissist son's claim that I'm not.
>>> Don't know when it is yet, but I'm looking forward to it.
>>> Tone
>>

>> Here in Ontario  there is a special process for 80-year-olds
>>   to renew their drivers licence  -  which  _may_   require them
>> to take a road test.
>>
>> https://www.ontario.ca/page/renew-g-drivers-licence-80-years-and-over
>>
>> Could this be your first renewal since turning 80  and  thus
>> a   new-to-you   but  normal process  ?
>
> This is the latest stage in a sorry tale of aggravation.

Made worse because he is mentally ill, which seems to scare the police
into not taking further action against him. This what I'm having to deal
with:

Bully's smear campaign was calculated and threatening; Stalker slammed
for vile messages.

Link/Page Citation
Byline: KENNY MACDONALD

A sick stalker who terrorised Moffat residents has been hammered with
PS3,000 in fines and branded a bully by a sheriff.

Edward Glenwright, now living in Kent, circulated dozens of vile and
menacing emails after he was sacked from a woodland group.

Using computer trickery to mimic the addresses of real people in the
town, he sent a barrage of messages that made threats and falsely
accused two trustees of the group of being paedophiles.

He also sent vile and perverted messages that threatened violence
against his victims, making them believe their lives were in danger.

One man moved his wife and children into a hotel for four days and
bought a fortified door for his house as the threats escalated.

Between July 2017, when Glenwright was sacked from the Moffat Community
Woodlands organisation, and November last year at least 106 hateful
emails were circulated to trustees of the group, local business owners
and other residents, with many appearing to be from known people in Moffat.

The messages stopped after Glenwright's computer was seized by police.

The 46-year-old appeared at Dumfries Sheriff Court on Wednesday for
sentencing after background reports had been prepared on him.

His solicitor, Vicky Urquhart, agreed that his "behaviour became
obsessive towards them (the victims)" during the campaign.

Sheriff Brian Mohan tore into the thug who now has two businesses in
England as a beekeeper and tree surgeon.

He said: "This is absolutely appalling behaviour and within the custody
threshold for the trauma you caused these people.

"It was calculated by creating these false emails and with the matter
remaining undetected.

"There's an explanation given about the background which your solicitor
says caused you worry because of information about you, but that falls
flat on its face when you consider the damage to the woman concerned who
was a working colleague.

"You felt under threat from her.

"This is worth of a custody, however, the appropriate sentence is to
make compensation orders and impose a fine."

Glenwright was fined PS1,000 and ordered to pay Jon Haydon and a woman
PS1,000 each.

Ms Urquhart told the court that Glenwright, who earns PS4,000 per month,
has been doing his "utmost" to address his mental health problems.

She said: "He has a depressive illness and a stress-related illness
after what happened to him when he was much younger.

"He has been engaging with the Mental Health Service in England and he
has now been prescribed medication and receiving counselling. He speaks
to a member of the crisis team every month about any problems.

"He is working and set up two companies which are doing well. He is a
beekeeper with 10 hives and sold honey throughout this year and is also
a tree surgeon and employs two other people."

Glenwright offered to pay the penalties immediately and there was no
need to impose instalments.

Following the sentence, a statement was released by the Moffat Community

Woodlands (MCW) trustees. It said: "For approximately two years, MCW and
some individuals associated with it experienced a horrific campaign of
malicious harassment by persons unknown using either anonymous
identities or impersonating real individuals' identities.

"The abusive behaviour included emails and Facebook posts which were
widely circulated in Moffat and elsewhere.

"These communications contained the vilest false allegations imaginable
and various threats of violence.

"There have also been threatening phone calls, circulation of poison pen
letters and attempts to sully our name with funders and regulatory bodies.

"All of this has been designed to destroy the project and to harm the
individuals involved with it, as well as causing division within the
local community.

"We are pleased that this chapter has come to an end with Mr
Glenwright's guilty plea and Wednesday's sentence.

"We do not feel, however, that the sentence reflects the seriousness of
the offences committed as nobody can understand the impact his behaviour
has had on the many people affected.

"The individuals affected by these offences continue to consider other
legal options and we will be seeking a meeting with the authorities to
understand where the investigation now stands.

"The malicious communications have had a devastating impact on the
individuals concerned and their families.

"This personal toll has been very damaging to their health and is not
something that should be tolerated.

"The charity itself and the project to create a mixed broadleaf woodland
on Gallow Hill has also been set back because of the time and energy
that we have had to devote to dealing with this harassment.

"The trustees would like to thank the police for their diligent work in
preparing the file for the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service.
We are also grateful for the help we have received from

Victim Support Scotland, from the charity regulator OSCR (to whom we
reported this as a 'notifiable incident' in March 2018) and our funders
including the Scottish Land Fund. Most importantly, we thank members of
the local community, too numerous to mention, who have supported us
throughout this period."

CAPTION(S):

Hateful Glenwright (left) targeted trustees including Jon Haydon (right)

Tone

Nov 3, 2022, 1:52:24 PM11/3/22

Brian Gaff

Nov 4, 2022, 4:42:43 AM11/4/22
Big debate on at the moment about what eyesight parameters need to be used
to see if people can still drive. They say that any loss of visual field can
make you unable to drive and there is a test for this, but yet they allow
people with one eye to drive even though they have little depth perception.
The real point I think is that now we know the eyesight is mostly
constructed by your brain from very poor imagery etc, how on earth can you
tell?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Tone" <to...@email.com> wrote in message

Kerr-Mudd, John

Nov 4, 2022, 6:29:47 AM11/4/22
On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 08:42:35 -0000
"Brian Gaff" <brian...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Big debate on at the moment about what eyesight parameters need to be used
> to see if people can still drive. They say that any loss of visual field can
> make you unable to drive and there is a test for this, but yet they allow
> people with one eye to drive even though they have little depth perception.

I have no parallax, but I can get by with other clues. threading a needle
is much trickier than judging car distances (too close!)

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Tone

Nov 5, 2022, 3:35:10 PM11/5/22
With a view to the above I ordered a 2022 edition of the Highway Code.
Blimee! 168 pages!

Tone

greymaus

Nov 5, 2022, 4:23:45 PM11/5/22
I read one that my granddaughter got to pass her car test, at it now 2
years, and counting. It shows a lot of funny symbols, some almost
inpossible to connect with anything in real road traffic. Nothing on
what `afar' means in English, it seems to mean something like 'slow
down' in Welsh, well north Welsh anyway.

--
grey...@mail.com

Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the stench of an Influencer.
Where is our money gone, Dude?

John Williamson

Nov 5, 2022, 4:33:43 PM11/5/22
On 05/11/2022 20:23, greymaus wrote:

> I read one that my granddaughter got to pass her car test, at it now 2
> years, and counting. It shows a lot of funny symbols, some almost
> inpossible to connect with anything in real road traffic. Nothing on
> what `afar' means in English, it seems to mean something like 'slow
> down' in Welsh, well north Welsh anyway.

"Araf" means slow. "Arafwch nawr" means slows down now.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

RustyHinge

Nov 5, 2022, 4:54:34 PM11/5/22
The Welsh language is rather like Hebrew, but with just a *few* more vowels.

Tease'n'Seize

Nov 6, 2022, 3:39:09 AM11/6/22
Tone wrote:

> With a view to the above I ordered a 2022 edition of the Highway Code.
> Blimee! 168 pages!

I've heard there are fakes out there, which contain misinformation, and (of
course) claim to be official versions ...

Clues to the fake versions are
logos being pisky lated
no ISBN number above the bark ode
shiny covers

Tone

Nov 6, 2022, 4:27:09 AM11/6/22
Mine is genuine.

Tone

Tone

Nov 6, 2022, 4:46:10 AM11/6/22
It seems very biased towards those road users who pay no tax, have no
insurance and don't have a licence, and who's vehicles are untested,
i.e. cyclists

Tone

Tim+

Nov 6, 2022, 5:21:19 AM11/6/22
Seems reasonable that the Highway Code should prioritise the most
vulnerable folk who can legally use the roads, who aren’t killing the
planet or polluting city air.

Many/most cyclists *do* pay tax, income and road tax.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Nov 6, 2022, 5:30:04 AM11/6/22
On Sun, 6 Nov 2022 09:46:08 +0000
Tone <to...@email.com> wrote:

> It seems very biased towards those road users who pay no tax, have no
> insurance and don't have a licence, and who's vehicles are untested,
> i.e. cyclists

There used to be a special edition for cyclists, I got given a copy
when I took my cycling proficiency course and quizzed on it in the test (a
mini driving test administered by an ecliops ossifier) wot I had to pass
before I could cycle to fpubby.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Don Stockbauer

Nov 6, 2022, 5:43:14 AM11/6/22
The Shed used to tolerate nonconformity, didn't it? From what I've read that's how it got its start.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Nov 6, 2022, 6:00:03 AM11/6/22
On 6 Nov 2022 10:21:18 GMT
Tim+ <tim.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Seems reasonable that the Highway Code should prioritise the most
> vulnerable folk who can legally use the roads, who aren’t killing the
> planet or polluting city air.

It's a shame that the training and certification that was required
when I was at fpubby for anyone cycling in isn't generally available as
safety training and certification. Around 90% of cyclists I see theses days
need it badly - the ones that dress up in Lycra and go round in packs being
the worst of the lot. We were taught to ride single file whenever there was
traffic behind us and the highway code said that too! But then we were
expected to be capable of looking round and signalling without wobbling
all over the road. We certainly weren't taught to bunch up and irritably
wave motorists to pass on a corner into the path of an oncoming car - I
declined that invitation and was still being waved at when said car
appeared. Some people seem determined to give cyclists a bad name, still
the Lycra and gregariousness are good warning signs.

Richard Robinson

Nov 6, 2022, 6:18:52 AM11/6/22
Tim+ said:
> Tone <to...@email.com> wrote:

>>> Mine is genuine.
>>
>> It seems very biased towards those road users who pay no tax, have no
>> insurance and don't have a licence, and who's vehicles are untested,
>> i.e. cyclists
>
> Seems reasonable that the Highway Code should prioritise the most
> vulnerable folk who can legally use the roads, who aren’t killing the
> planet or polluting city air.
>
> Many/most cyclists *do* pay tax, income and road tax.

Also, being so much lighter, their road usage doesn't entail anything
like the same wear&tear on the road.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Nov 6, 2022, 7:00:02 AM11/6/22
On Sun, 6 Nov 2022 11:18:51 -0000 (UTC)
Richard Robinson <ric...@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:

> Also, being so much lighter, their road usage doesn't entail anything
> like the same wear&tear on the road.

This is true ... but if you were to be standing on the pavement of
St John's Street in Cambridge on a term time morning during the five minutes
around the top of any hour you might be forgiven for thinking otherwise as
several thousand students cycle frantically from one lecture to the next.

Tone

Nov 6, 2022, 7:04:52 AM11/6/22
There are considerate cyclists, but they are far outnumbered by the
middle aged men in lycra, who, in most cases, think they own the roads
and ride accordingly, and the 'local' cyclists, who, here in York, are
mostly a menace, riding through red traffic lights zooming across in
front of on-coming traffic, on pavements, with both hands on a smart
phone and no hands on the handlebars, without lights at night, on bikes
with little or no brakes. And in one case a gang of kids doing wheelies
along the middle of the York Inner Ring Road defying anyone not to avoid
them.

But the good ones tend to be the elderly going shopping, or the careful
two-wheeled commuter. However they are a sensible minority.

Even worse, here in York, we have an electric bike or scooter hire
system all over the city, heavily subsidised by our rates. The users of
these have no idea at all about the Highway Code and seem to think they
have a right to ride down the middle of the road, anywhere, ignoring all
traffic signs.

Until cycling is policed and riders who break the law get spot-fined, it
will only get worserererer.

Tone

Jim the Geordie

Nov 6, 2022, 7:51:32 AM11/6/22
In article <tk7vp1$3287m$1...@dont-email.me>, to...@email.com says...

<snip>

> > Mine is genuine.
> >
> > Tone
>
> It seems very biased towards those road users who pay no tax, have no
> insurance and don't have a licence, and who's vehicles are untested,
> i.e. cyclists
>
> Tone

It seems to assume all cyclists obey the Highway Code and most motorists
don't. Neither is true.

--
Jim the Geordie

Richard Robinson

Nov 6, 2022, 9:43:23 AM11/6/22
Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
> On Sun, 6 Nov 2022 11:18:51 -0000 (UTC)
> Richard Robinson <ric...@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Also, being so much lighter, their road usage doesn't entail anything
>> like the same wear&tear on the road.
>
> This is true ... but if you were to be standing on the pavement of
> St John's Street in Cambridge on a term time morning during the five minutes
> around the top of any hour you might be forgiven for thinking otherwise as
> several thousand students cycle frantically from one lecture to the next.

And if you were to look at an unpaved cycletrack, I think you'd see that it
needs a certain amount of maintenance, but not nearly so much as a road.

John Williamson

Nov 6, 2022, 10:05:19 AM11/6/22
On 06/11/2022 14:43, Richard Robinson wrote:

> And if you were to look at an unpaved cycletrack, I think you'd see that it
> needs a certain amount of maintenance, but not nearly so much as a road.

Along our canal system, Sustrans and local councils are rapidly turning
all unpaved urban towpaths into well surfaced racetracks for cyclists.
As a result, pedestrians, wheelchair users and those pushing baby
buggies are now having to learn how to dodge....

Many MAMILs don't seem to grasp the idea that pedestrians have priority
on the towpath.

RustyHinge

Nov 6, 2022, 10:13:55 AM11/6/22
On 06/11/2022 14:43, Richard Robinson wrote:
> Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
>> On Sun, 6 Nov 2022 11:18:51 -0000 (UTC)
>> Richard Robinson <ric...@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Also, being so much lighter, their road usage doesn't entail anything
>>> like the same wear&tear on the road.
>>
>> This is true ... but if you were to be standing on the pavement of
>> St John's Street in Cambridge on a term time morning during the five minutes
>> around the top of any hour you might be forgiven for thinking otherwise as
>> several thousand students cycle frantically from one lecture to the next.
>
> And if you were to look at an unpaved cycletrack, I think you'd see that it
> needs a certain amount of maintenance, but not nearly so much as a road.

A couple of lengths of motorway were having a drink in a bar and
bragging how hard they were when a length of red tarmac came in. One of
the motorway sections dives under the table and cowers.

The red section drinks-up and departs and the motorway section comes out
and gives a sigh of relief.

The other says: "You were just telling me how hard you were, when this
skinny length of red tarmac came in. Hard? You?"

"Arbut, he's a cyclepath."

Richard Robinson

Nov 6, 2022, 10:45:08 AM11/6/22
Then I shall have a whinge about the self-centred abstrads of all
wheeled or unwheeled persuasions who act like they're too important to
look out for anyone else. No form of age, transport or clothing has a
monopoly on the selfishstupidtwat nature. And as for those who go out of
the pub for a smoke, stand right in front of the door so no-one can get
in, get reluctantly out of the way when I ask them in my snarkiest
voice, and then move straight back to blocking it as soon as I'm through

greymaus

Nov 6, 2022, 11:26:55 AM11/6/22
I heard of a man who, at a certain age, decided to take up bikeriding,
and dressed in very tight lycra, would ride his racing bike up and down the
town. At his wife's requests, the police stopped him from doing that

Julian Macassey

Nov 6, 2022, 11:28:45 AM11/6/22
I thought horses had the priority on the towpath.
--
"Drugs are becoming cheaper than candy bars" Donald Trump, 16 Feb 2017

Tone

Nov 6, 2022, 12:11:26 PM11/6/22
Only allowed on towing paths with permission from CaRT nowadays.

Tone

Tone

Nov 6, 2022, 12:12:24 PM11/6/22
Cheese wire?

Tone

John Williamson

Nov 6, 2022, 12:52:11 PM11/6/22
I find a centre line handy.

Don Stockbauer

Nov 6, 2022, 12:53:47 PM11/6/22
Good exercise in how it's better to ignore people (which forms 99% of all human communication ) rather than to acknowledge them.

Peter

Nov 6, 2022, 1:05:27 PM11/6/22
John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote in news:jsqai9Fhs9sU1
@mid.individual.net:

> On 06/11/2022 17:12, Tone wrote:
>> On 06/11/2022 15:05, John Williamson wrote:
>
>>> Many MAMILs don't seem to grasp the idea that pedestrians have
>>> priority on the towpath.
>>>

>> Cheese wire?
>>
> I find a centre line handy.

I'd not heard the term MAMIL before. "oBlody MAMIL!" seems like a good
thing to have in one's bag of epithets to be hurled after male Karens as
they cycle past, far too close.

--
Peter
-----

Kerr-Mudd, John

Nov 6, 2022, 1:13:05 PM11/6/22
Are you advocating violence, as per the JC petrolhead? furrfu.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Sam Plusnet

Nov 6, 2022, 2:18:19 PM11/6/22
On 06-Nov-22 11:18, Richard Robinson wrote:
> Tim+ said:
>> Tone <to...@email.com> wrote:

>>> It seems very biased towards those road users who pay no tax, have no
>>> insurance and don't have a licence, and who's vehicles are untested,
>>> i.e. cyclists
>>
>> Seems reasonable that the Highway Code should prioritise the most
>> vulnerable folk who can legally use the roads, who aren’t killing the
>> planet or polluting city air.
>>
>> Many/most cyclists *do* pay tax, income and road tax.
>
> Also, being so much lighter, their road usage doesn't entail anything
> like the same wear&tear on the road.

Up to a point Lord Copper.
'Round 'ere most of the damage to roads is due to frost. (Although
subsequent traffic does make it worse.)
I don't think one type of road user is more responsible for frost than
any other.

--
Sam Plusnet

Richard Robinson

Nov 6, 2022, 2:25:14 PM11/6/22
Psycles aren't nearly so responsible for the need for expensive roads in
the first place. "Qu'ils mangent des vélos de montagne".

Nicholas D. Richards

Nov 6, 2022, 2:51:16 PM11/6/22
In article <tk8prq$33r1m$1...@dont-email.me>, Tone <to...@email.com> on
Sun, 6 Nov 2022 at 17:11:22 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On 06/11/2022 16:28, Julian Macassey wrote:
>> On Sun, 6 Nov 2022 15:05:16 +0000, John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.
>com> wrote:

>>> Along our canal system, Sustrans and local councils are rapidly turning
>>> all unpaved urban towpaths into well surfaced racetracks for cyclists.
>>> As a result, pedestrians, wheelchair users and those pushing baby
>>> buggies are now having to learn how to dodge....
>>>
>>> Many MAMILs don't seem to grasp the idea that pedestrians have priority
>>> on the towpath.
>>
>> I thought horses had the priority on the towpath.
>
>Only allowed on towing paths with permission from CaRT nowadays.

Even when they are attached to a boat/barge?

I have been re-reading the Maigret novels, quite of few of which are set
on the canals of Northern France. I was quite surprised to discover that
quite a few of these boats stabled, overnight, their horses on board the
boat. Of course the locks and therefore the boats were much larger than
on British canals.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Tone

Nov 6, 2022, 5:15:57 PM11/6/22
On 06/11/2022 19:44, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>> Only allowed on towing paths with permission from CaRT nowadays.
>>
> Even when they are attached to a boat/barge?

As I say, only with permission.

There are a couple of horse-drawn trip boat operations still at it,
notably on the Llangollen and Kennet & Avon, and for years one brave
lady called 'Sue' used to ply the system with a horse and a working boat
(usually empty**).

We had one on the Basingstoke once. It went under a railway bridge by
Great Bottom Flash*. One day a train went over just as the horse was
approaching. The horse stopped dead. The boat didn't and lost steerage,
and slammed into the brickwork of the bridge. You can still see the
damage on the brickwork to this day.

*Tizza real lake that the canal skirts. They also have Little Bottom Flash.

**The boat, not the horse.

Tone

Brian Gaff

Nov 7, 2022, 4:45:54 AM11/7/22
Yes quite a number of electric bikes and scooters have collided with blind
people on these tracks since they were resurfaced, the old gravel was good
because you could hear any crunching of it behind you, but now you hear
nothing, and they cannot see your white cane if the are coming up from
behind, You only feel the draft and hear the swear words as they pass.

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tone" <to...@email.com> wrote in message

chrisnd @ukrm

Nov 7, 2022, 4:53:39 AM11/7/22
On 07/11/2022 09:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
>Yes quite a number of electric bikes and scooters have collided with blind
>people on these tracks since they were resurfaced, the old gravel was good
>because you could hear any crunching of it behind you, but now you hear
>nothing, and they cannot see your white cane if the are coming up from
>behind, You only feel the draft and hear the swear words as they pass.

Perhaps try baton twirling as you walk?
It might at least make them ring a bell?
HTH

Chris

Tone

Nov 7, 2022, 6:47:51 AM11/7/22
Waltz or Quickstep?

Tone

RustyHinge

Nov 7, 2022, 6:52:53 AM11/7/22
Foxtrot

Sam Plusnet

Nov 7, 2022, 3:20:02 PM11/7/22
On 07-Nov-22 9:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Yes quite a number of electric bikes and scooters have collided with blind
> people on these tracks since they were resurfaced, the old gravel was good
> because you could hear any crunching of it behind you, but now you hear
> nothing, and they cannot see your white cane if the are coming up from
> behind, You only feel the draft and hear the swear words as they pass.

SWMBO isn't visually handicapped, but she is a world leader at being
startled.
When startled, she is inclined to go into sudden motion in which any one
or more of her limbs may move in an uncoordinated fashion. She may jump
up, forward, left, right or even backwards. She will also scream.

I'll leave it up to the reader to imagine how this plays out on a towpath.

--
Sam Plusnet

Sam Plusnet

Nov 7, 2022, 3:22:27 PM11/7/22
I think bikes need a better road surface than a car. Even a small bit
of road damage can be serious for a biker - when a car will hardly
notice it.

--
Sam Plusnet

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Nov 7, 2022, 4:00:02 PM11/7/22
On Mon, 7 Nov 2022 20:22:26 +0000
Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com> wrote:

> I think bikes need a better road surface than a car. Even a small bit
> of road damage can be serious for a biker - when a car will hardly
> notice it.

Having cycled on many mud tracks, farm roads, forest paths and other
unpaved surfaces of dubious quality as well as many damaged roads I'm not
sure I agree. The only iffy bit IME was the need to sometimes hop up sharp
edges but any cyclist who could handle kerbs would have no trouble.

RustyHinge

Nov 7, 2022, 4:00:24 PM11/7/22
Startled b a passing narrowboat?

Thomas Prufer

Nov 8, 2022, 2:05:09 AM11/8/22
On Mon, 7 Nov 2022 20:59:17 +0000, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net>
wrote:

>On Mon, 7 Nov 2022 20:22:26 +0000
>Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com> wrote:
>
>> I think bikes need a better road surface than a car. Even a small bit
>> of road damage can be serious for a biker - when a car will hardly
>> notice it.
>
> Having cycled on many mud tracks, farm roads, forest paths and other
>unpaved surfaces of dubious quality as well as many damaged roads I'm not
>sure I agree. The only iffy bit IME was the need to sometimes hop up sharp
>edges but any cyclist who could handle kerbs would have no trouble.

Er? A bike will roll so much more nicely, easily, faster on a smooth surface.

And yes, bikes will do all right on mud tracks, but it need tires for it,
possibly the suspension, and is work compared to a smooth road... and yer
screwed on a racing bike, Ok on a "trekking" bike, and it's what mountain bikes
are made for...

Thomas Prufer

Tim+

Nov 8, 2022, 3:10:22 AM11/8/22
I’ve met a woman like that. Scared me witless as I was running past.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Nov 8, 2022, 3:30:02 AM11/8/22
On Tue, 08 Nov 2022 08:05:08 +0100
Thomas Prufer <prufer...@mnet-online.de.invalid> wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Nov 2022 20:59:17 +0000, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net>
> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 7 Nov 2022 20:22:26 +0000
> >Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I think bikes need a better road surface than a car. Even a small bit
> >> of road damage can be serious for a biker - when a car will hardly
> >> notice it.
> >
> > Having cycled on many mud tracks, farm roads, forest paths and
> > other
> >unpaved surfaces of dubious quality as well as many damaged roads I'm not
> >sure I agree. The only iffy bit IME was the need to sometimes hop up
> >sharp edges but any cyclist who could handle kerbs would have no trouble.
>
> Er? A bike will roll so much more nicely, easily, faster on a smooth
> surface.

Yes it will but the odd pothole and rough bit isn't much of a
problem. Bikes *like* a really good surface but they don't *need* one.

> And yes, bikes will do all right on mud tracks, but it need tires for it,

Nope - I used to ride a normal 'racing bike' everywhere - drop
handlebars, fairly skinny tyres at high pressure. Note 'normal' not 'fancy'
so steel not alloys and fairly skinny tyres not pressurised razor blades.

> possibly the suspension, and is work compared to a smooth road... and yer
> screwed on a racing bike,

That's what I (and just about everyone else I knew) used on or off
road I never had any trouble getting it to go quickly anywhere I wanted. A
good many of the short cuts around town used pretty good mud tracks. For
fun there were woods with tracks down and up ditches and along ridges, I do
recall one muddy riverside track in Nine Wells that required frantic
pedalling to keep the back wheel from sliding sideways into the drink.

It's all gone now - the bits that aren't underneath housing estates
have been gentrified with rubbery paths, hand rails and signs. It's no
wonder kids get stuck in video games - there's nowhere else to play
unsupervised.

> Ok on a "trekking" bike, and it's what mountain bikes are made for...

They weren't around when I was doing stuff like that, there were
sit-up bikes, shopping bikes, racing bikes and the truly awful chopper. A
steel racing bike worked fine pretty much anywhere.

Nicholas D. Richards

Nov 8, 2022, 6:56:59 AM11/8/22
In article <6OdaL.34014$TUR8....@fx17.iad>, Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com>
on Mon, 7 Nov 2022 at 20:22:26 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and
wrote
Except, IME, the damage will have been caused by four wheeled (or more)
road vehicles or water seeping up from below. The water may well be
leaking from pipes damaged by the passage overhead of road vehicles.

Exclusive Cycleways do not need as expensive preparation as vehicle
roads.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

soup

Nov 8, 2022, 8:57:31 AM11/8/22
On 06/11/2022 22:15, Tone wrote:
a horse and a working boat
> (usually empty**).

> **The boat, not the horse.

David Niven and Errol Flynn were filming The Charge of the Light Brigade
for a director, Michael Curtiz, 'whose Hungarian-orientated English was
a joy to us all'. High on the rostrum he decided the moment had come to
order the arrival on the scene of a hundred riderless chargers. "Okay,"
he yelled into a megaphone, "Bring on the empty horses!" '

soup

Nov 8, 2022, 10:15:59 AM11/8/22
On 06/11/2022 18:05, Peter wrote:

> I'd not heard the term MAMIL before. "oBlody MAMIL!" seems like a good
> thing to have in one's bag of epithets to be hurled after male Karens as
> they cycle past, far too close.

As others have said . Being a nerfhole is not restricted to one form of
transport.
There are chaps like me, an OMIL (old man in Lycra) who obeys the laws.

And who despairs at the lack of etiquette SOME drivers exhibit.

And whilst driving I despair at the risks SOME cyclists take .

And whilst using either I despair at the lack of awareness SOME
pedestrians exhibit.

And yet for each of the situations I could counter with one were the
other people were kind, law abiding and aware of what was going on .

Me in full OMIL mode :-
https://postimg.cc/1n2tnCWc

soup

Nov 8, 2022, 10:22:17 AM11/8/22
On 06/11/2022 17:12, Tone wrote:
Come now Tone you are surely not advocating attempted murder?

RustyHinge

Nov 8, 2022, 10:28:23 AM11/8/22
Truckledown justice.

Peter

Nov 8, 2022, 10:52:27 AM11/8/22
soup <inv...@invalid.com> wrote in news:tkdrrd$3u83k$1...@dont-email.me:

> Me in full OMIL mode :-
> https://postimg.cc/1n2tnCWc

Now *that* I wasn'r expecting. Well done!

--
Peter
-----

Kerr-Mudd, John

Nov 8, 2022, 11:30:46 AM11/8/22
Looks a bit nippy! Oooh fancy disk brakes eh?
PS your rear mud guard is NBG to the cyclist following you.

Tim+

Nov 8, 2022, 11:36:35 AM11/8/22
Unless the way you “dress” is entirely visible I’m not sure that counts as
Lycra.

greymaus

Nov 8, 2022, 12:45:21 PM11/8/22
One of my hates, people with earphones riding bikes.
another, People using earphones.
--
grey...@mail.com

Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the stench of an Influencer.
Where is our money gone, Dude?

soup

Nov 8, 2022, 1:05:38 PM11/8/22
On 08/11/2022 17:45, greymaus wrote:
> On 2022-11-08, soup <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:
>> On 06/11/2022 18:05, Peter wrote:
>>
>>> I'd not heard the term MAMIL before. "oBlody MAMIL!" seems like a good
>>> thing to have in one's bag of epithets to be hurled after male Karens as
>>> they cycle past, far too close.
>>
>> As others have said . Being a nerfhole is not restricted to one form of
>> transport.
>> There are chaps like me, an OMIL (old man in Lycra) who obeys the laws.
>>
>> And who despairs at the lack of etiquette SOME drivers exhibit.
>>
>> And whilst driving I despair at the risks SOME cyclists take .
>>
>> And whilst using either I despair at the lack of awareness SOME
>> pedestrians exhibit.
>>
>> And yet for each of the situations I could counter with one were the
>> other people were kind, law abiding and aware of what was going on .
>>
>> Me in full OMIL mode :-
>> https://postimg.cc/1n2tnCWc
>
> One of my hates, people with earphones riding bikes.
> another, People using earphones.

Earphones?

Ah I see, that cord isn't for earphones, it is for my eye protectors

soup

Nov 8, 2022, 1:12:44 PM11/8/22
On 08/11/2022 16:30, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Nov 2022 15:52:26 -0000 (UTC)
> Peter <mys...@prune.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> soup <inv...@invalid.com> wrote in news:tkdrrd$3u83k$1...@dont-email.me:
>>

>>> Me in full OMIL mode :-
>>> https://postimg.cc/1n2tnCWc
>>
>> Now *that* I wasn'r expecting. Well done!
>>
> Looks a bit nippy! Oooh fancy disk brakes eh?

Hydraulic no less.

> PS your rear mud guard is NBG to the cyclist following you.

He/she/it shouldn't be following so close .
As long as I don't have a "skunk stripe" up my back.

Sam Plusnet

Nov 8, 2022, 2:48:06 PM11/8/22
On 08-Nov-22 8:10, Tim+ wrote:
> Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com> wrote:

>> SWMBO isn't visually handicapped, but she is a world leader at being
>> startled.
>> When startled, she is inclined to go into sudden motion in which any one
>> or more of her limbs may move in an uncoordinated fashion. She may jump
>> up, forward, left, right or even backwards. She will also scream.
>>
>> I'll leave it up to the reader to imagine how this plays out on a towpath.
>>

> I’ve met a woman like that. Scared me witless as I was running past.

She and I have lived in this house for over 40 years.
She will still sometimes jump and scream if I walk into a room.

"Oh he lives here, so I should expect to see him from time to time."
doesn't seem to figure in her approach to life.

--
Sam Plusnet

RustyHinge

Nov 8, 2022, 5:07:23 PM11/8/22
Don't make the mistake of asking her what daydream she was having just
before...

Mike Fleming

Nov 9, 2022, 1:00:49 PM11/9/22
IIRC, when everyone started laughing, he then bellowed "You think I know
fuck-nothing about English, but I know fuck-all!".

Tone

Nov 18, 2022, 9:37:52 AM11/18/22
Now booked for Fri 2nd Dec at 10am. in my own car on familiar local roads.

I will report back on the experience.

Tone

Tim+

Nov 18, 2022, 9:44:26 AM11/18/22
Good luck!

Peter

Nov 18, 2022, 10:34:25 AM11/18/22
Tim+ <tim.d...@gmail.com> wrote in

> Tone <to...@email.com> wrote:
>> Now booked for Fri 2nd Dec at 10am. in my own car on familiar local
>> roads.
>>
>> I will report back on the experience.
>>
>> Tone
>>

> Good luck!
>
> Tim

+1

--
Peter
-----

greymaus

Nov 18, 2022, 11:28:43 AM11/18/22
++1

Kerr-Mudd, John

Nov 18, 2022, 11:39:55 AM11/18/22
On 18 Nov 2022 14:44:24 GMT
Tim+ <tim.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tone <to...@email.com> wrote:
> > Now booked for Fri 2nd Dec at 10am. in my own car on familiar local roads.
> >
> > I will report back on the experience.
> >
> > Tone
> >

> Good luck!

I beg to differ; I trust you (Tone) pass by using skill.

Tim+

Nov 18, 2022, 11:47:58 AM11/18/22
I’m sure the skill is there. The luck lies in getting a competent examiner.

Thomas Prufer

Nov 18, 2022, 12:15:53 PM11/18/22
"The result of an exam is the product of skill and luck. If either is zero, the
result will be zero."

(Sententious words of an examiner.)

Thomas Prufer

RustyHinge

Nov 18, 2022, 1:53:03 PM11/18/22
On 18/11/2022 14:44, Tim+ wrote:
> Tone <to...@email.com> wrote:
>> Now booked for Fri 2nd Dec at 10am. in my own car on familiar local roads.
>>
>> I will report back on the experience.
>>
>> Tone
>>

> Good luck!

+1

Mike Fleming

Nov 18, 2022, 8:04:24 PM11/18/22
On 18/11/2022 14:37, Tone wrote:
> Now booked for Fri 2nd Dec at 10am. in my own car on familiar local roads.
>
> I will report back on the experience.

Hope it goes well.