Problems connecting, usenet isolated

Richard Robinson

Jan 12, 2022, 7:06:57 AM1/12/22

Anybody else using the plusnet server ? It spent the last couple of
days demanding a username/password (and not liking anything I could come
up with, never having needed one before).

And now, obviously, it's ok again. Before I even got round to
complaining. *Huh*.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Dennis Davis

Jan 13, 2022, 2:44:20 AM1/13/22
In article <db6dnUlMRabBWUP8...@brightview.co.uk>,
Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:

>Anybody else using the plusnet server ? It spent the last couple of
>days demanding a username/password (and not liking anything I could
>come up with, never having needed one before).
>
>And now, obviously, it's ok again. Before I even got round to
>complaining. *Huh*.

Plusnet don't run a Usenet service. They've outsourced their
service to Giganews:

$ host news.plus.net
news.plus.net is an alias for usenet.plus.net.
usenet.plus.net is an alias for europe.isp.giganews.com.
europe.isp.giganews.com has address 216.166.105.145

Presumably Plusnet's dialup/ADSL addresses (31.185.192.0 -
31.185.255.255 etc) have blanket access to the Giganews service.

I've seen other comments about the Plusnet News service. However
one of the benefits of outsourcing the service is that Plusnet
can also outsource the blame. A win-win situation!

I'm a Plusnet customer but prefer to use the free service at
aioe.org. See:

http://www.aioe.org/

You could also look at the Eternal September Usenet site:

http://www.eternal-september.org/

and the pay-for-service site news.individual.net:

http://news.individual.net
--
Dennis Davis <denni...@fastmail.fm>

Tease'n'Seize

Jan 14, 2022, 4:46:36 AM1/14/22
Richard Robinson wrote:

> Anybody else using the plusnet server ? It spent the last couple of
> days demanding a username/password

Yes I noticed, of course that prevents you getting to the plusnet "support"
froup, but I looked on their wibbly forum, and Bob was investigating, then it
was fixed ... yay Bob.