Strange tv channels

Brian Gaff

Nov 21, 2022, 5:35:23 AM11/21/22
On my Samsung TV there are a load of channels above 4000, and one of these
is fireplace. Yes it seems to be a continuous recording of a finreplace with
wood burning or maybe coal. I cannot see the image, but who on earth would
want to waste internet bandwidth with such a channel?

I mean there is one running The Fbi files, one running myth busters, another
Baywatch, and one Doc the bounty hunter, yet another relic hunter etc.
But a fireplace? Really?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

chr...@privacy.net

Nov 21, 2022, 5:45:11 AM11/21/22
On 21/11/2022 10:35, Brian Gaff wrote:
> On my Samsung TV there are a load of channels above 4000, and one of these
> is fireplace. Yes it seems to be a continuous recording of a finreplace with
> wood burning or maybe coal. I cannot see the image, but who on earth would
> want to waste internet bandwidth with such a channel?
>
> I mean there is one running The Fbi files, one running myth busters, another
> Baywatch, and one Doc the bounty hunter, yet another relic hunter etc.
> But a fireplace? Really?
> Brian

Slow TV?
Maybe its a fish tank alternative?

Chris
PS. I like watching a fire*

* I hasten to add, a properly laid and restrained one in a
grate/stove/firepit etc

Julian Macassey

Nov 21, 2022, 7:22:40 AM11/21/22
On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 10:35:20 -0000, Brian Gaff <brian...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On my Samsung TV there are a load of channels above 4000, and one of these
> is fireplace. Yes it seems to be a continuous recording of a finreplace with
> wood burning or maybe coal. I cannot see the image, but who on earth would
> want to waste internet bandwidth with such a channel?
>
> I mean there is one running The Fbi files, one running myth busters, another
> Baywatch, and one Doc the bounty hunter, yet another relic hunter etc.
> But a fireplace? Really?

There is a New York TV channel that runs that fireplace
loop every Xmas eve.

That's Dog (woof woof) bounty hunter. Busy hunting down
desperadoes that haven't paid their parking tickets. This is
"Trash TV", staring American White Trash.

Yes, people really do watch the fireplace. Many people
never switch off the TV, so a burning log keeps it idling.

--
War against a foreign country only happens when the moneyed
classes think they are going to profit from it. - George Orwell

John Williamson

Nov 21, 2022, 7:32:40 AM11/21/22
On 21/11/2022 12:22, Julian Macassey wrote:

> Yes, people really do watch the fireplace. Many people
> never switch off the TV, so a burning log keeps it idling.

Bets on it being digitally generated? A smart TV could easily run that
program even when off air.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Kerr-Mudd, John

Nov 21, 2022, 7:51:19 AM11/21/22
and in 256 bytes!

https://www.pouet.net/party.php?which=1791&when=1996

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Nicholas D. Richards

Nov 21, 2022, 8:22:06 AM11/21/22
In article <slrntnmrcf....@n6are.com>, Julian Macassey
<jul...@n6are.com> on Mon, 21 Nov 2022 at 12:22:39 awoke Nicholas from
his slumbers and wrote
>On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 10:35:20 -0000, Brian Gaff <brian...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On my Samsung TV there are a load of channels above 4000, and one of these
>> is fireplace. Yes it seems to be a continuous recording of a finreplace with
>> wood burning or maybe coal. I cannot see the image, but who on earth would
>> want to waste internet bandwidth with such a channel?
>>
>> I mean there is one running The Fbi files, one running myth busters, another
>> Baywatch, and one Doc the bounty hunter, yet another relic hunter etc.
>> But a fireplace? Really?
>
> There is a New York TV channel that runs that fireplace
>loop every Xmas eve.
>
> That's Dog (woof woof) bounty hunter. Busy hunting down
>desperadoes that haven't paid their parking tickets. This is
>"Trash TV", staring American White Trash.
>
> Yes, people really do watch the fireplace. Many people
>never switch off the TV, so a burning log keeps it idling.

I have watched a toad on my front doorstep, many times. I was surprised
that a cold blooded toad could trigger the PIRs on the camera and the
security light.

I have also watched a young man looking around the bins, the outside
door mat, flower pots, etc. He did not find the key, that was not there.

He did find the note, that said 'LOOK UP, NOW'. He started to look up
and then changed his mind and departed into the land of Ohttrerz.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Peter

Nov 21, 2022, 10:05:23 AM11/21/22
Julian Macassey <jul...@n6are.com> wrote in

> Yes, people really do watch the fireplace. Many people
> never switch off the TV, so a burning log keeps it idling.

We have a fan heater built into the living room fireplace. It comes with a
full-sized simulation of a log fire. AFAICT the simulation is generated by a
hidden rotating cylinder and a series of coloured LEDs. I quite like it -
even with the heating elements switched off the display makes the room seem
warmer. Doesn't shift the thermometer until I turn the heater on, thobut.

--
Peter
-----

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Nov 21, 2022, 10:38:41 AM11/21/22
<brian...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On my Samsung TV there are a load of channels above 4000, and one of these
>is fireplace. Yes it seems to be a continuous recording of a finreplace with
>wood burning or maybe coal. I cannot see the image, but who on earth would
>want to waste internet bandwidth with such a channel?
> a fireplace? Really?
> Brian

The Yule Log tv broadcast pre-dates the internet
as per this wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule_Log_(TV_program)

I remember seeing it on an early < to me > cable tv
subscription ~ late 1970s.
I suspect that people would leave it on as background
at a Christmas gathering ; or in a waiting room ..
John T.

Nicholas D. Richards

Nov 21, 2022, 10:42:05 AM11/21/22
In article <XnsAF5699804C...@88.198.57.247>, Peter
<mys...@prune.org.uk> on Mon, 21 Nov 2022 at 15:05:22 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
In a previous flat I had a gas heater that replaced an open coal fire.
Much as I have an emotional attachment to coal (my Dad was a mining
engineer) the coal fire never really cut it in cold weather. Some of the
burning gas went through ceramic 'coals'. The rest of the gas burned at
the back and joined together to go through a heat exchanger above the
'faire. Some of the heat was radiated from the coals and the rest from
convection via the heat exchanger above the 'fire'. Probably not very
'efficient' but realistic and rather pleasantly warm.

It was very quiet, in comparison with the gas heater in my bedroom,
which had two fans one for combustion and the other over the heater
exchanger for convection.

Sam Plusnet

Nov 21, 2022, 2:20:14 PM11/21/22
There was a cartoon at the time of the ITV strike (when they just showed
a fixed card saying "Sorry we're not showing programmes."[1] for dayz 'n
dayz on end.
A man pointing to a pile of VCR tapes, & saying proudly "We've got the
whole thing on tape!"

[1] I read that the caption had ratings of one million viewers.

--
Sam Plusnet

Brian Gaff

Nov 23, 2022, 4:06:01 AM11/23/22
Oddly there is no aquarium one on there, well not that I can tell, but there
is a Karaoke channel called Stingray, and that is a kind of fish. Maybe its
that aquaria make no real sound, whereas fires crackle.

Judging by some of the channels up there, I might actually suspect many are
just thre to fill bandwidth.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
<chr...@privacy.net> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Nov 23, 2022, 4:08:13 AM11/23/22
Well, I think more interesting would be wildlife cam tv. Just stuff some
cameras in various parts of the world with motion detectors and a caption of
where they are and leave them running.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Julian Macassey" <jul...@n6are.com> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Nov 23, 2022, 4:09:32 AM11/23/22
No this is definitely a real fire. Its not always there though, sometimes
the channel is blank.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John Williamson" <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

Tone

Nov 23, 2022, 4:44:51 AM11/23/22
On 23/11/2022 09:09, Brian Gaff wrote:
> No this is definitely a real fire. Its not always there though, sometimes
> the channel is blank.
> Brian

Do you recall the 'interludes' on early black & white BBC TV?

There was a windmill, a spinning wheel, a cat playing, a potter's wheel,
horses ploughing, embroidery, a fish tank, a riverboat bow scene (I
think The Thames), waves breaking on a rocky shoreline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybg2cke8DEw

For the sighted, Brian. But you might enjoy matching the music to the
scenes.

Far better therapeutic telly than we get now!

Tone

greymaus

Nov 23, 2022, 5:33:21 AM11/23/22
On 2022-11-23, Brian Gaff <brian...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I think more interesting would be wildlife cam tv. Just stuff some
> cameras in various parts of the world with motion detectors and a caption of
> where they are and leave them running.
> Brian

Our local TV channel inserted a camera into a nest of nestlings The next
day a cat arrived and ate the nestlings.

--
grey...@mail.com

Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the stench of an Influencer.
Where is our money gone, Dude?

greymaus

Nov 23, 2022, 5:36:17 AM11/23/22
After coming home from the hospital almost 3 years ago, I wheeled away
the TV. Never missed it, and nobody wants it. Internet now.

Peter

Nov 23, 2022, 9:01:41 AM11/23/22
There are quite a few around. Not much use to you, I imagine, but here's
the Wildlife Trust ones:

https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/webcams

I find them quite relaxing.

--
Peter
-----

Tease'n'Seize

Nov 23, 2022, 4:01:17 PM11/23/22
Brian Gaff wrote:

> No this is definitely a real fire. Its not always there though, sometimes
> the channel is blank.

Maybe it's your turn to add some logs?