Pancake day

crn

Feb 10, 2024, 12:20:48 PMFeb 10
Pancake day on tuesday - very early this year

Nicholas D. Richards

Feb 10, 2024, 1:18:39 PMFeb 10
In article <uq8b9e$38o0m$1...@dont-email.me>, crn <c...@nospam.netunix.com>
on Sat, 10 Feb 2024 at 17:20:46 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and
wrote
>Pancake day on tuesday - very early this year

You need an excuse for pancakes?

Which reminds me I must buy a fresh bottle of Amaretto. Crępes with
Amaretto and Swedish Glacé, heaven.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Tim+

Feb 10, 2024, 2:11:15 PMFeb 10
Nicholas D. Richards <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote:
> In article <uq8b9e$38o0m$1...@dont-email.me>, crn <c...@nospam.netunix.com>
> on Sat, 10 Feb 2024 at 17:20:46 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and
> wrote
>> Pancake day on tuesday - very early this year
>>
> You need an excuse for pancakes?
>
> Which reminds me I must buy a fresh bottle of Amaretto. Crêpes with
> Amaretto and Swedish Glacé, heaven.

Wot, that dairy-free muck? Why spoil them? You were doing so well up till
then.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Feb 10, 2024, 2:31:30 PMFeb 10
On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 18:18:17 +0000, "Nicholas D. Richards"
<nich...@salmiron.com> wrote:

>In article <uq8b9e$38o0m$1...@dont-email.me>, crn <c...@nospam.netunix.com>
>on Sat, 10 Feb 2024 at 17:20:46 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and
>wrote
>>Pancake day on tuesday - very early this year
>>
>You need an excuse for pancakes?
>
>Which reminds me I must buy a fresh bottle of Amaretto. Crępes with
>Amaretto and Swedish Glacé, heaven.

We're on our last bottle of maple syrup .. pretty good timing !

https://www.ontariomaple.com/vendor/schmidlts-family-syrup/

We usually buy a 4 litre jug and split it into 750 ml liquor bottles
and put them in the freezer for year-long enjoyment. :-)
There's no shortage of maple syrup producers in our area.
One nearby town is known for its big maple syrup fest -
drawing scads of people from far and wide.

https://www.elmiramaplesyrupfestival.com/

Dumb question - is maple syrup a thing in UK at all ?

Sometimes things get out-of-hand :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Canadian_Maple_Syrup_Heist

Happy New Year to sheddies all - Dragons or not.
John T.

Peter

Feb 10, 2024, 4:19:46 PMFeb 10
hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote in news:0oifsid4uhpp8694obkjm79jjb189c9sai@
4ax.com:

> Dumb question - is maple syrup a thing in UK at all ?

It is known of, and it can be obtained in the siops by those who really want
it (mainly Canadians living over here), but it is hardly a staple. We tend
to go more for Golden Syrup, which is a synthetic substitute (sugar syrup,
partially inverted and just a tad caramelised.

--
Peter
-----

Richard Robinson

Feb 10, 2024, 5:05:26 PMFeb 10
I tend to eschew that in favour of various-shades-of-brown sugar.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Sam Plusnet

Feb 10, 2024, 9:27:50 PMFeb 10
On 10-Feb-24 19:31, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 18:18:17 +0000, "Nicholas D. Richards"
> <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <uq8b9e$38o0m$1...@dont-email.me>, crn <c...@nospam.netunix.com>
>> on Sat, 10 Feb 2024 at 17:20:46 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and
>> wrote
>>> Pancake day on tuesday - very early this year
>>>
>> You need an excuse for pancakes?
>>
>> Which reminds me I must buy a fresh bottle of Amaretto. Crêpes with
>> Amaretto and Swedish Glacé, heaven.
>>

> We're on our last bottle of maple syrup .. pretty good timing !
>
> https://www.ontariomaple.com/vendor/schmidlts-family-syrup/
>
> We usually buy a 4 litre jug and split it into 750 ml liquor bottles
> and put them in the freezer for year-long enjoyment. :-)
> There's no shortage of maple syrup producers in our area.
> One nearby town is known for its big maple syrup fest -
> drawing scads of people from far and wide.
>
> https://www.elmiramaplesyrupfestival.com/
>
> Dumb question - is maple syrup a thing in UK at all ?

A thing? Yes we can buy it without too much of a problem. I don't know
if we only import the good stuff - or SWMBO only buys the good stuff.

--
Sam Plusnet

Brian Gaff

Feb 11, 2024, 8:11:57 AMFeb 11
Why does it exist at all? Was it invented by a pancake manufacturer?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"crn" <c...@nospam.netunix.com> wrote in message

John Williamson

Feb 11, 2024, 8:34:29 AMFeb 11
On 11/02/2024 13:11, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Why does it exist at all? Was it invented by a pancake manufacturer?
> Brian

Originally, Shrove Tuesday was the last day of normal food before the
Lent fast started. As a result it turned into a sort of party day, as it
was the day before Ash Wednesday, which was the day you repented of your
sins,sought forgivemess for them and started fasting until Easter, which
happened 40 days later.

Its dedication to pancakes seems to be only in this country.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Nicholas D. Richards

Feb 11, 2024, 8:39:07 AMFeb 11
In article <919448900.729285011.085629.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.
individual.net>, Tim+ <timdo...@yahoo.co.youkay> on Sat, 10 Feb 2024
at 19:11:12 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>Nicholas D. Richards <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote:
>> In article <uq8b9e$38o0m$1...@dont-email.me>, crn <c...@nospam.netunix.com>
>> on Sat, 10 Feb 2024 at 17:20:46 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and
>> wrote
>>> Pancake day on tuesday - very early this year
>>>
>> You need an excuse for pancakes?
>>
>> Which reminds me I must buy a fresh bottle of Amaretto. Crępes with
>> Amaretto and Swedish Glacé, heaven.
>
>Wot, that dairy-free muck? Why spoil them? You were doing so well up till
>then.

As an omnivore I often find vegan substitutes, tasteless, lacking in
mouth feel and unsatisfying. However I am lactose intolerant as were
most of our distant adult ancestors. The part that meat played in our
human evolution is probably considerable. Lactase persistence as a trait
is relatively recent in our evolution and is found mostly in people of
Northern European ancestry.

However I have found that this 'dairy-free muck' is not just tolerable
it tastes better, has a better mouth feel and is more satisfying than
dairy ice-cream. In addition it does not painfully inflate my guts and
give me the squits. What is there not to like?

If you prefer dairy ice-cream that is fine by me. I keep dairy and dairy
free products in the larder and freezer although I suspect that my non-
European SWMBO may have some improvement in some of her asthma symptoms
if she stopped eating and drinking products with lactose in them.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Feb 11, 2024, 9:00:03 AMFeb 11
On Sun, 11 Feb 2024 13:11:53 -0000
"Brian Gaff" <brian...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why does it exist at all? Was it invented by a pancake manufacturer?

It's the last chance to eat nice things before giving them up for
Lent.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Sn!pe

Feb 11, 2024, 9:23:39 AMFeb 11
Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Feb 2024 13:11:53 -0000
> "Brian Gaff" <brian...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Why does it exist at all? Was it invented by a pancake manufacturer?
>
> It's the last chance to eat nice things before giving them up for
> Lent.

It's also to clear the store-cupboard of food put away for Winter
at the previous harvest before it all goes off.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon says:
The first duty of government is defence of the realm.

Tim+

Feb 11, 2024, 9:28:52 AMFeb 11
Nicholas D. Richards <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote:
> In article <919448900.729285011.085629.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.
> individual.net>, Tim+ <timdo...@yahoo.co.youkay> on Sat, 10 Feb 2024
> at 19:11:12 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>> Nicholas D. Richards <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote:
>>> In article <uq8b9e$38o0m$1...@dont-email.me>, crn <c...@nospam.netunix.com>
>>> on Sat, 10 Feb 2024 at 17:20:46 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and
>>> wrote
>>>>
>>> You need an excuse for pancakes?
>>>
>>> Which reminds me I must buy a fresh bottle of Amaretto. Crêpes with
>>> Amaretto and Swedish Glacé, heaven.
>>
>> Wot, that dairy-free muck? Why spoil them? You were doing so well up till
>> then.
>>
> As an omnivore I often find vegan substitutes, tasteless, lacking in
> mouth feel and unsatisfying. However I am lactose intolerant as were
> most of our distant adult ancestors. The part that meat played in our
> human evolution is probably considerable. Lactase persistence as a trait
> is relatively recent in our evolution and is found mostly in people of
> Northern European ancestry.
>
> However I have found that this 'dairy-free muck' is not just tolerable
> it tastes better, has a better mouth feel and is more satisfying than
> dairy ice-cream. In addition it does not painfully inflate my guts and
> give me the squits. What is there not to like?

The taste of sprouts in your “ice cream”? Maybe not sprouts but there’s a
“not rightness” about it that puts me right off.

If you like the taste then it sounds like you have good reason to use it.
Personally, if I were lactose intolerant I’d seek something better. This
possibly?

https://fridgeofplenty.com/products/rich-chocolate-lactose-free-ice-cream-500ml?variant=41118421811349

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Feb 11, 2024, 9:30:04 AMFeb 11
On Sun, 11 Feb 2024 13:36:50 +0000
"Nicholas D. Richards" <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote:

> As an omnivore I often find vegan substitutes, tasteless, lacking in
> mouth feel and unsatisfying.

Attempting to imitate something else is rarely successful. The few
counterexamples I know of are Greg's vegan sausage rolls (Aldi's aren't
bad either), Denny meat-free sausages, Denny meat-free mince and Beyond
burgers (strangely their mince[1] is dreadful) - the only difference in
taste and mouth feel with these is that they are always perfect and meat
almost never is. I'm told that Alpro's "Not Milk" is convincing but I have
yet to try it. Oh and most vegan ice cream is OK but never as rich as the
best dairy ice cream.

[1] How is it that none of the imitation mince products are as good as the
soya mince I used to buy to stretch the mince when I was a broke stewed
ant. They got the texture right then, most of the current offerings get it
badly wrong.

maus

Feb 11, 2024, 9:46:50 AMFeb 11
On 2024-02-11, Nicholas D. Richards <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote:
> In article <919448900.729285011.085629.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.
> individual.net>, Tim+ <timdo...@yahoo.co.youkay> on Sat, 10 Feb 2024
> at 19:11:12 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>>Nicholas D. Richards <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote:
>>> In article <uq8b9e$38o0m$1...@dont-email.me>, crn <c...@nospam.netunix.com>
> give me the squits. What is there not to like?
>
> If you prefer dairy ice-cream that is fine by me. I keep dairy and dairy
> free products in the larder and freezer although I suspect that my non-
> European SWMBO may have some improvement in some of her asthma symptoms
> if she stopped eating and drinking products with lactose in them.

The problem with ice-cream is that they are allowed to mix up all sorts
of s*** in it, a mild example is prossesed lard. Yougurt is purer. My
veggie daughter arrived yesterday with non-dairy yougurt, which does not
tell you what it is made of. Also vegetable soup, ditto. (I actually
like vegetable soup, but that was flavoured with some sort of spice
that is dangerously strong). Just got her gone and put some potatoes on.
Heaven!

--
grey...@mail.com
Is There not even one Influencer here to torment?

Abandoned Trolley

Feb 11, 2024, 10:56:31 AMFeb 11

> It's also to clear the store-cupboard of food put away for Winter
> at the previous harvest before it all goes off.

Because we all know that Jesus invented sell-by dates ?

Sn!pe

Feb 11, 2024, 11:26:13 AMFeb 11
maus <ma...@deb2.org> wrote:

[...]

> The problem with ice-cream is that they are allowed to mix up all sorts
> of s*** in it, a mild example is prossesed lard. Yougurt is purer. My
> veggie daughter arrived yesterday with non-dairy yougurt, which does not
> tell you what it is made of. Also vegetable soup, ditto. (I actually
> like vegetable soup, but that was flavoured with some sort of spice
> that is dangerously strong). Just got her gone and put some potatoes on.
> Heaven!

It isn't by coincidence that a certain well-known sossidge manufacturer
also makes "ice cream". Whip up some pig fat with sugar and a little
flavouring and it's fit to have a flake shoved into it.

nJyyf unir rnef (naq enrf'byrf gbb).

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Feb 11, 2024, 12:30:03 PMFeb 11
Well they are often treated as gospel.

Abandoned Trolley

Feb 11, 2024, 12:35:44 PMFeb 11
On 11/02/2024 17:06, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Feb 2024 15:56:30 +0000
> Abandoned Trolley <fr...@fred-smith.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>> It's also to clear the store-cupboard of food put away for Winter
>>> at the previous harvest before it all goes off.
>>>

>> Because we all know that Jesus invented sell-by dates ?
>
> Well they are often treated as gospel.

Praise the Lord

Tim+

Feb 11, 2024, 12:42:33 PMFeb 11
Inshallah.

Sn!pe

Feb 11, 2024, 1:02:12 PMFeb 11
Tim+ <timdo...@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:
[...]
> >> Well they are often treated as gospel.
> >
> > Praise the Lord
>
> Inshallah.
>
> Tim

Oh dear. "Religion" gets everywhere, dunnit.

[fu2: bit-bucket]

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Sn!pe

Feb 11, 2024, 1:02:12 PMFeb 11
Abandoned Trolley <fr...@fred-smith.co.uk> wrote:

[Sn!pe]
> > It's also to clear the store-cupboard of food put away for Winter
> > at the previous harvest before it all goes off.
> >

> Because we all know that Jesus invented sell-by dates ?

That's a figment of your imagination.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Tim+

Feb 11, 2024, 1:53:48 PMFeb 11
Sn!pe <snip...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tim+ <timdo...@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Praise the Lord
>>
>> Inshallah.
>>
>> Tim
>
> Oh dear. "Religion" gets everywhere, dunnit.
>
> [fu2: bit-bucket]

FWIW, as a Pastafarian Inshallah is as meaningful to me as praise the lord.
Both addressed to an imaginary being.

Just trying to be inclusive.

Tease'n'Seize

Feb 11, 2024, 1:57:14 PMFeb 11
crn wrote:

> Pancake day on tuesday - very early this year

Yum ...

Kerr-Mudd, John

Feb 11, 2024, 3:15:34 PMFeb 11
On Sun, 11 Feb 2024 16:26:10 +0000
snip...@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:

> maus <ma...@deb2.org> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > The problem with ice-cream is that they are allowed to mix up all sorts
> > of s*** in it, a mild example is prossesed lard. Yougurt is purer. My
> > veggie daughter arrived yesterday with non-dairy yougurt, which does not
> > tell you what it is made of. Also vegetable soup, ditto. (I actually
> > like vegetable soup, but that was flavoured with some sort of spice
> > that is dangerously strong). Just got her gone and put some potatoes on.
> > Heaven!
> >

> It isn't by coincidence that a certain well-known sossidge manufacturer
> also makes "ice cream". Whip up some pig fat with sugar and a little
> flavouring and it's fit to have a flake shoved into it.

The get-out clause IIRC is "contains non-milk fat"

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Sam Plusnet

Feb 11, 2024, 8:58:10 PMFeb 11
On 11-Feb-24 14:16, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Feb 2024 13:36:50 +0000
> "Nicholas D. Richards" <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote:
>
>> As an omnivore I often find vegan substitutes, tasteless, lacking in
>> mouth feel and unsatisfying.
>
> Attempting to imitate something else is rarely successful. The few
> counterexamples I know of are Greg's vegan sausage rolls (Aldi's aren't
> bad either), Denny meat-free sausages, Denny meat-free mince and Beyond
> burgers (strangely their mince[1] is dreadful) - the only difference in
> taste and mouth feel with these is that they are always perfect and meat
> almost never is. I'm told that Alpro's "Not Milk" is convincing but I have
> yet to try it. Oh and most vegan ice cream is OK but never as rich as the
> best dairy ice cream.
>
> [1] How is it that none of the imitation mince products are as good as the
> soya mince I used to buy to stretch the mince when I was a broke stewed
> ant. They got the texture right then, most of the current offerings get it
> badly wrong.

Re: Mince.
Even 'real' mince, in most prepared meals, has a terrible texture.
It isn't minced, it's puréed.

--
Sam Plusnet

Richard Robinson

Feb 11, 2024, 9:07:33 PMFeb 11
All hail Discordia ...

crn

Feb 11, 2024, 9:40:43 PMFeb 11
On 2024-02-11, Brian Gaff <brian...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why does it exist at all? Was it invented by a pancake manufacturer?
> Brian

It is a religious thing.
During lent, the 40 days befor easter, many foods should not be eaten
so the contents of these are used up on Shrove Tuesday, the last day
before Lent. In the UK we use them to make pancakes, some other
countries use a different menu.

Abandoned Trolley

Feb 12, 2024, 3:57:04 AMFeb 12

> Re: Mince.
> Even 'real' mince, in most prepared meals, has a terrible texture.
> It isn't minced, it's puréed.

SWMBO only allows Waitrose mince in the house, and I think she has a point.

Alternatively, if you are lucky enough to have a local butchers shop you
could ask about some coarse mince ?

Some "chefs" make their version of Ragu / Bolognese sauce with added
chicken liver. The liver is pan fried in butter and then beaten to a
sort of pulp using a potato masher.

Whether it improves the favour or not is debatable, but it must have
some effect on the texture.

chr...@privacy.net

Feb 12, 2024, 6:27:35 AMFeb 12
On 12/02/2024 02:07, Richard Robinson wrote:
> Tim+ said:
>> Sn!pe <snip...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Tim+ <timdo...@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Oh dear. "Religion" gets everywhere, dunnit.
>>>
>>> [fu2: bit-bucket]
>>>

>> FWIW, as a Pastafarian Inshallah is as meaningful to me as praise the lord.
>> Both addressed to an imaginary being.
>>
>> Just trying to be inclusive.
>
> All hail Discordia ...

ITYM, Hail Eris?

Chris

Bernard Peek

Feb 12, 2024, 9:02:27 AMFeb 12
Sort of. It's supposed to be the day you use up all of the perishable food
you won't be allowed during Lent. There are similar customs elsewhere.

--
Bernard Peek
b...@shrdlu.com

Bernard Peek

Feb 12, 2024, 9:13:01 AMFeb 12
My objection to most ice-cream is that it's mostly fresh-air. Have you
noticed that it's always sold by volume and not by weight?

Ben Newsam

Feb 12, 2024, 9:29:36 AMFeb 12
John Williamson wrote, though the Organization header says "":
Using up all your eggs before Lent, I have always assumed.
--
Ben

Richard Robinson

Feb 12, 2024, 9:31:51 AMFeb 12
Of all the people using up their eggs, I wonder how many of them observe
Lent ?

Nicholas D. Richards

Feb 12, 2024, 9:45:33 AMFeb 12
In article <uqda4l$1igc3$1...@dont-email.me>, Richard Robinson
<ric...@qualmograph.org.uk> on Mon, 12 Feb 2024 at 14:31:49 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>Ben Newsam said:
>> John Williamson wrote, though the Organization header says "":

>>>Originally, Shrove Tuesday was the last day of normal food before the
>>>Lent fast started. As a result it turned into a sort of party day, as it
>>>was the day before Ash Wednesday, which was the day you repented of your
>>>sins,sought forgivemess for them and started fasting until Easter, which
>>>happened 40 days later.
>>>
>>>Its dedication to pancakes seems to be only in this country.
>>
>> Using up all your eggs before Lent, I have always assumed.
>
>Of all the people using up their eggs, I wonder how many of them observe
>Lent ?

Why would I? Pancakes are nice, so I'll probably have some more on
Wednesday. I'll not be greedy so I'll pass them up on Thursday.

Tease'n'Seize

Feb 12, 2024, 12:43:08 PMFeb 12
Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

> Sn!pe wrote:
> >> It isn't by coincidence that a certain well-known sossidge manufacturer
>> also makes "ice cream". Whip up some pig fat with sugar and a little
>> flavouring and it's fit to have a flake shoved into it.

I disgoove it's because their ice-cream contain whizzed up bits of
pinky&perky, rather that that the suppliers of "whey solids" can't
guarantee that it's 100% rennet free.

> The get-out clause IIRC is "contains non-milk fat"

I wouldn't have though that phrase would cut it nowadays, they'd have to
say "animal fats"? The Ice Cream Regulations 1967 mention vegetable
fats, but not animal fats.

Maybe "refined" is their get-out clause?

<https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1996/1499/schedule/3/made?view=plain#tgp1-tbl1-tbd1-tr6-tc1>

e.g.

<https://www.wallsicecream.com/uk/p/wall%27s-soft-scoop-vanilla-1800ml.html/08712566291144>

Julian Macassey

Feb 13, 2024, 6:46:03 AMFeb 13
On Mon, 12 Feb 2024 14:31:49 -0000 (UTC), Richard Robinson <ric...@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:
> Ben Newsam said:
>>
>> Using up all your eggs before Lent, I have always assumed.
>
> Of all the people using up their eggs, I wonder how many of them observe
> Lent ?

Fresh eggs should still be edible by Easter. As the
chickens are heathens they no doubt keep laying through Lent, so
when Easter rolls around, you could make a massive omelet. or a
ton of Yorkshire pudding.

My dad had a papist partner who gave up drinking water
for Lent.

--
"That they’re an armed, racist gang." - Moxie Marlinspike,
Rolling Stone July 31 2016 About the Police

Nicholas D. Richards

Feb 13, 2024, 7:44:23 AMFeb 13
In article <slrnusmljp....@n6are.com>, Julian Macassey
<jul...@n6are.com> on Tue, 13 Feb 2024 at 11:46:01 awoke Nicholas from
his slumbers and wrote
>On Mon, 12 Feb 2024 14:31:49 -0000 (UTC), Richard Robinson
><ric...@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:
>> Ben Newsam said:
>>>
>>> Using up all your eggs before Lent, I have always assumed.
>>
>> Of all the people using up their eggs, I wonder how many of them observe
>> Lent ?
>
> Fresh eggs should still be edible by Easter. As the
>chickens are heathens they no doubt keep laying through Lent, so
>when Easter rolls around, you could make a massive omelet. or a
>ton of Yorkshire pudding.
>
> My dad had a papist partner who gave up drinking water
>for Lent.

My left footer SWMBO does not appear to give up anything for Lent. As I
do the cooking I think I would know.

She certainly would not use whisky as a substitute for water!

Tease'n'Seize

Feb 13, 2024, 7:53:27 AMFeb 13
Richard Robinson wrote:

> Of all the people using up their eggs, I wonder how many of them observe
> Lent ?

I think I might have a 40 day period of cutting down a bit, that just
happens to coincide with Lent ...

Richard Robinson

Feb 13, 2024, 11:30:28 AMFeb 13
Nicholas D. Richards said:
> In article <slrnusmljp....@n6are.com>, Julian Macassey

>>> Of all the people using up their eggs, I wonder how many of them observe
>>> Lent ?
>>
>> Fresh eggs should still be edible by Easter. As the
>>chickens are heathens they no doubt keep laying through Lent, so
>>when Easter rolls around, you could make a massive omelet. or a
>>ton of Yorkshire pudding.

Or throw them at lots of politicians ?

>> My dad had a papist partner who gave up drinking water
>>for Lent.
>>
> My left footer SWMBO does not appear to give up anything for Lent. As I
> do the cooking I think I would know.
>
> She certainly would not use whisky as a substitute for water!

It'd probably make an onelette taste odd.

Crepe MacSuzette, thobut ?

Peter

Feb 13, 2024, 11:30:31 AMFeb 13
Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote in news:k5GdnaejjYuh-
1b4nZ2dnZ...@brightview.co.uk:
SWMBO gives up chocolate, but insists that it is "during" lent, not "for"
lent.

--
Peter
-----