Heard in the street.

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Jan 14, 2022, 4:38:59 AM1/14/22
Child, we saw some old Children's tv this morning at school.
One was called Noddy, why did Noddy have an open top car, as it always
rains here.
Parent, I don't know, really. Did you ask the teacher?
Yes he said the climate had changed since those days.....

Is this the way the kids are being taught about the climate? Sadly I can
remember those Noddy kids shows and I'm pretty sure it rained in the UK back
then as well....

So it got me thinking about some of the shows we saw in the 50s, Wooden
tops. Andy Pandy, and I think I caught the end of Muffin the Mule, though I
recall wondering at the time how come you would have a small horse on top of
a piano.
What about other puppet shows like Twizzle, Four Feather Falls, and Space
patrol.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jan 14, 2022, 6:30:01 AM1/14/22
On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 09:38:54 -0000
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Child, we saw some old Children's tv this morning at school.
> One was called Noddy, why did Noddy have an open top car, as it always
> rains here.
> Parent, I don't know, really. Did you ask the teacher?
> Yes he said the climate had changed since those days.....

<thwack> to parent and teacher, and a second thwack to techer for
the climate change remark - the correct answer AAFK is that Noddy lives in
Toyland where it never rains. Thus starting sproglets on the road to
understanding the difference between reality and fiction.

> Is this the way the kids are being taught about the climate? Sadly I can
> remember those Noddy kids shows and I'm pretty sure it rained in the UK
> back then as well....

Quite a lot.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Tone

Jan 14, 2022, 6:44:41 AM1/14/22
On 14/01/2022 11:04, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> <thwack> to parent and teacher, and a second thwack to techer for
> the climate change remark - the correct answer AAFK is that Noddy lives in
> Toyland where it never rains. Thus starting sproglets on the road to
> understanding the difference between reality and fiction.

Please Miss, if it never rains in Toyland how do all those toy trees and
how does all that toy grass grow? And where does the water come from in
the toy river?

Tone (aged 7)

Nicholas D. Richards

Jan 14, 2022, 6:54:23 AM1/14/22
In article <20220114110442.083c...@eircom.net>, Ahem A
Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> on Fri, 14 Jan 2022 at 11:04:42 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
Like the wet Sundays in Manchester, of my memory (nearly 70 years ago).
A certain Hungarian song always seemed to be appropriate for Sundays in
Manchester, even if it didn't rain (a truly rare event in my memory),
made worse by two church services and/or a visit to my paternal
grandmother.

Mind you the worst part of Sunday was Monday, or at least getting ready
for Monday.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jan 14, 2022, 7:30:03 AM1/14/22
Ah Tone, Toyland is a lot like California, they have to pump the
water in from places it does rain. Now how would you like to write me a nice
essay on irrigation - you can use the encyclopedia for references.

Tone

Jan 14, 2022, 7:41:33 AM1/14/22
'My dad had to have irrigation. They poked a rubber tube up his bum, and
poured water down it through a funnel.'

Tone (Form 3)

Richard Robinson

Jan 14, 2022, 8:50:18 AM1/14/22
Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 09:38:54 -0000
> "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Child, we saw some old Children's tv this morning at school.
>> One was called Noddy, why did Noddy have an open top car, as it always
>> rains here.
>> Parent, I don't know, really. Did you ask the teacher?
>> Yes he said the climate had changed since those days.....
>
> <thwack> to parent and teacher, and a second thwack to techer for
> the climate change remark - the correct answer AAFK is that Noddy lives in
> Toyland where it never rains. Thus starting sproglets on the road to
> understanding the difference between reality and fiction.

Yes.

>> Is this the way the kids are being taught about the climate? Sadly I can
>> remember those Noddy kids shows and I'm pretty sure it rained in the UK
>> back then as well....
>
> Quite a lot.

"And that's why we're not suprised that much of the country is covered
by grass".

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Richard Robinson

Jan 14, 2022, 8:50:52 AM1/14/22
"magic".

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jan 14, 2022, 9:00:02 AM1/14/22
On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 12:41:38 +0000
Tone <em...@address.com> wrote:

> 'My dad had to have irrigation. They poked a rubber tube up his bum, and
> poured water down it through a funnel.'
>
> Tone (Form 3)

I'm sure the biology teacher would be fascinated by an essay about
that - ten pages please.

Tone

Jan 14, 2022, 9:50:18 AM1/14/22
On 14/01/2022 13:53, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 12:41:38 +0000
> Tone <em...@address.com> wrote:
>
>> 'My dad had to have irrigation. They poked a rubber tube up his bum, and
>> poured water down it through a funnel.'
>>
>> Tone (Form 3)
>
> I'm sure the biology teacher would be fascinated by an essay about
> that - ten pages please.

That was ten pages. Very small ones.

Tone

Peter

Jan 14, 2022, 10:23:21 AM1/14/22
Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote in

>> I'm pretty sure it rained in the
>> UK back then as well....
>
> Quite a lot.

In those days I was living in Manchester. It rained.

--
Peter
-----

John Williamson

Jan 14, 2022, 10:32:14 AM1/14/22
I read somewhere that it had the highest annual rainfall of any city in
the UK.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Kerr-Mudd, John

Jan 14, 2022, 2:18:59 PM1/14/22
I ain't gonna post here no more if they keep handing out homework. (Plays with conkers).

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

RustyHinge

Jan 14, 2022, 3:35:48 PM1/14/22
Should Stornoway have been a city Manchester would never have got near
that distinction.

--
Rusty Hinge

Tone

Jan 14, 2022, 4:02:12 PM1/14/22
On 14/01/2022 20:35, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 14/01/2022 15:32, John Williamson wrote:
>> On 14/01/2022 15:23, Peter wrote:
>>> Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote in

>>> In those days I was living in Manchester. It rained.
>>>
>> I read somewhere that it had the highest annual rainfall of any city
>> in the UK.
>
> Should Stornoway have been a city Manchester would never have got near
> that distinction.

Unless Manchester had been built on the Isle of Lewis.

Tone

Sam Plusnet

Jan 14, 2022, 4:41:52 PM1/14/22
On 14-Jan-22 20:35, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 14/01/2022 15:32, John Williamson wrote:
>> On 14/01/2022 15:23, Peter wrote:
>>> Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote in

>>> In those days I was living in Manchester. It rained.
>>>
>> I read somewhere that it had the highest annual rainfall of any city
>> in the UK.
>
> Should Stornoway have been a city Manchester would never have got near
> that distinction.

Which is perhaps one reason why Stornoway is not a city.

--
Sam Plusnet

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jan 14, 2022, 5:00:01 PM1/14/22
Sigh, the dry lands, try the wet coast of Ireland. We've just had
six days straight without a drop of rain and yet I still need wellies to
walk to the end of my back swamp^Wgarden because of the preceding double
fortnight with no weak ends only wetnessdays, at least it now goes squelch
instead of splash!

Richard Robinson

Jan 14, 2022, 6:03:57 PM1/14/22
I read an odd book a few weeks ago, all about a big sleazy city built
around the shores of Loch Eriboll. Malcolm Mackay, I think by, but I
can't unforget what it was called, or BA to lookitup.

John Williamson

Jan 15, 2022, 3:19:44 AM1/15/22
On 14/01/2022 23:03, Richard Robinson wrote:

> I read an odd book a few weeks ago, all about a big sleazy city built
> around the shores of Loch Eriboll. Malcolm Mackay, I think by, but I
> can't unforget what it was called, or BA to lookitup.

Doesn't look like one I'd be interested in.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0772WR761/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Peter

Jan 15, 2022, 5:47:39 AM1/15/22
John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote in
I might. I'll have to see if they have it on Kobo though, because I
eschew the big river, somewhat. And then it will have to wait in a rather
long reading queueue.

--
Peter
-----

Peter

Jan 15, 2022, 5:53:12 AM1/15/22
Peter <mys...@prune.org.uk> wrote in
Yup, there it is. 3zu59. geohlen. Thanks, Richard.

--
Peter
-----

Nicholas D. Richards

Jan 15, 2022, 7:02:30 AM1/15/22
In article <XnsAE206DCC15...@144.76.35.252>, Peter
<mys...@prune.org.uk> on Sat, 15 Jan 2022 at 10:47:38 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
Another source:

https://www.hive.co.uk/Product/Malcolm-MacKay/In-the-Cage-Where-Your-
Saviours-Hide/21865376

Richard Robinson

Jan 15, 2022, 7:28:52 AM1/15/22
You're welcome ... it's why I continue a big fan of the local library.
Try 'em for free, and there's always the option of npghnyyl fcraqvat
zbarl if you think it's worth reading more than once.

Richard Robinson

Jan 15, 2022, 7:44:59 AM1/15/22
Ah, yes, another one. The one I met was "A Line of Forgotten Blood"

He also has a bunch of Glasgow Noir, not as weird.

Nicholas D. Richards

Jan 15, 2022, 9:52:37 AM1/15/22
In article <UpWdnTcuhIBjIH_8...@brightview.co.uk>, Richard
Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> on Sat, 15 Jan 2022 at 06:28:46 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>Peter said:
>> Peter <mys...@prune.org.uk> wrote in
>>
>>> John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote in

>>> I might. I'll have to see if they have it on Kobo though, because I
>>> eschew the big river, somewhat. And then it will have to wait in a
>>> rather long reading queueue.
>>>

>> Yup, there it is. 3zu59. geohlen. Thanks, Richard.
>
>You're welcome ... it's why I continue a big fan of the local library.
>Try 'em for free, and there's always the option of npghnyyl fcraqvat
>zbarl if you think it's worth reading more than once.

Much to my wife's disgust I like the feel of books and being able to
just go and pick up a book and consult it again or re-read it cover to
cover. Some of the books that I bought when I was an undergraduate have
finger grease marks on some of their index pages.

I have bought the complete set of the re-published Penguin Maigret
novels (74 of them), I have re-read some of them three times now. It has
been a bit of a nostalgia fest for my early teens. Mind you, old age
has its compensations, when it comes to re-reading novels. When I was
a child, I could not afford to buy more than a few, so I did depend on
the library.

chr...@privacy.net

Jan 15, 2022, 10:16:47 AM1/15/22
On 14/01/2022 20:35, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 14/01/2022 15:32, John Williamson wrote:
>> On 14/01/2022 15:23, Peter wrote:
>>> Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote in

>>> In those days I was living in Manchester. It rained.
>>>
>> I read somewhere that it had the highest annual rainfall of any city
>> in the UK.
>
> Should Stornoway have been a city Manchester would never have got near
> that distinction.

Not to mention Denley Moor?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STl224mhlA8

Chris

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Jan 16, 2022, 6:50:24 AM1/16/22
I suspect that the person had not thought it through, so just fobbed him
off.

If it never rains in toyland, how come there are toy boats?

"Ahem A Rivet's Shot" <ste...@eircom.net> wrote in message
> [...]

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Jan 16, 2022, 6:54:53 AM1/16/22
I remember building a model railway when I was young and we had a river and
a lake. they were in fact mirrors or plastic with something stuck on the
back. I also remember designing a tunnel entrance out of cardboard cut from
a toy typewriter box as it looked a bit like stone cladding. We used a
pencil to make the sooty mark where the trains went in.

Great fun, I even electrified some of the lamp posts using pigmy lights
running off the 12v of the transformer.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tone" <em...@address.com> wrote in message

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Jan 16, 2022, 6:57:31 AM1/16/22
Yes well I had some of that, but itit was not a funnel. I believe the name
on it was Bardex or something.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tone" <em...@address.com> wrote in message

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Jan 16, 2022, 6:58:43 AM1/16/22
I'm still thinking about the other puppet shows. I mean twizzle? Torchy the
Battery Boy?

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Ahem A Rivet's Shot" <ste...@eircom.net> wrote in message

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Jan 16, 2022, 7:03:10 AM1/16/22
I never got into magic.

Do you remember those magic sets a misguided relative always got you for
Christmas? Total Junk. Give me Radionics parts any day, build a transistor
radio, with 6Ba nuts, bolts and brass strips to connect the bits together
then learn how to line it up and get very distant stations.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Richard Robinson" <rich...@privacy.net> wrote in message

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Jan 16, 2022, 7:07:38 AM1/16/22
I expect the teacher was trying to avoid questions about Big Ears.
I guess its good though that youngsters are able to see older tv as often
Noddy is considered very non PC and Enid Blighton a bit of a racist
according to the stuff I've read, but this is all about societal norms for
the time of course, which changes as the years pass by.

We there any women in Toyland? I don't remember any.

"Nicholas D. Richards" <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote in message
> In article <20220114110442.083c...@eircom.net>, Ahem A
> Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> on Fri, 14 Jan 2022 at 11:04:42 awoke
> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>>On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 09:38:54 -0000
>>"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Child, we saw some old Children's tv this morning at school.
>>> One was called Noddy, why did Noddy have an open top car, as it always
>>> rains here.
>>> Parent, I don't know, really. Did you ask the teacher?
>>> Yes he said the climate had changed since those days.....
>>
>> <thwack> to parent and teacher, and a second thwack to techer for
>>the climate change remark - the correct answer AAFK is that Noddy lives in
>>Toyland where it never rains. Thus starting sproglets on the road to
>>understanding the difference between reality and fiction.
>>
>>> Is this the way the kids are being taught about the climate? Sadly I
>>> can
>>> remember those Noddy kids shows and I'm pretty sure it rained in the UK
>>> back then as well....
>>
>> Quite a lot.
>>
> Like the wet Sundays in Manchester, of my memory (nearly 70 years ago).
> A certain Hungarian song always seemed to be appropriate for Sundays in
> Manchester, even if it didn't rain (a truly rare event in my memory),
> made worse by two church services and/or a visit to my paternal
> grandmother.
>
> Mind you the worst part of Sunday was Monday, or at least getting ready
> for Monday.

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Jan 16, 2022, 7:10:31 AM1/16/22