Heard in the street.

40 views
Skip to first unread message

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

unread,
Jan 14, 2022, 4:38:59 AMJan 14
to
Child, we saw some old Children's tv this morning at school.
One was called Noddy, why did Noddy have an open top car, as it always
rains here.
Parent, I don't know, really. Did you ask the teacher?
Yes he said the climate had changed since those days.....

Is this the way the kids are being taught about the climate? Sadly I can
remember those Noddy kids shows and I'm pretty sure it rained in the UK back
then as well....

So it got me thinking about some of the shows we saw in the 50s, Wooden
tops. Andy Pandy, and I think I caught the end of Muffin the Mule, though I
recall wondering at the time how come you would have a small horse on top of
a piano.
What about other puppet shows like Twizzle, Four Feather Falls, and Space
patrol.


Brian

--

This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!


Ahem A Rivet's Shot

unread,
Jan 14, 2022, 6:30:01 AMJan 14
to
On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 09:38:54 -0000
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Child, we saw some old Children's tv this morning at school.
> One was called Noddy, why did Noddy have an open top car, as it always
> rains here.
> Parent, I don't know, really. Did you ask the teacher?
> Yes he said the climate had changed since those days.....

<thwack> to parent and teacher, and a second thwack to techer for
the climate change remark - the correct answer AAFK is that Noddy lives in
Toyland where it never rains. Thus starting sproglets on the road to
understanding the difference between reality and fiction.

> Is this the way the kids are being taught about the climate? Sadly I can
> remember those Noddy kids shows and I'm pretty sure it rained in the UK
> back then as well....

Quite a lot.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Tone

unread,
Jan 14, 2022, 6:44:41 AMJan 14
to
On 14/01/2022 11:04, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> <thwack> to parent and teacher, and a second thwack to techer for
> the climate change remark - the correct answer AAFK is that Noddy lives in
> Toyland where it never rains. Thus starting sproglets on the road to
> understanding the difference between reality and fiction.

Please Miss, if it never rains in Toyland how do all those toy trees and
how does all that toy grass grow? And where does the water come from in
the toy river?

Tone (aged 7)

Nicholas D. Richards

unread,
Jan 14, 2022, 6:54:23 AMJan 14
to
In article <20220114110442.083c...@eircom.net>, Ahem A
Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> on Fri, 14 Jan 2022 at 11:04:42 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
Like the wet Sundays in Manchester, of my memory (nearly 70 years ago).
A certain Hungarian song always seemed to be appropriate for Sundays in
Manchester, even if it didn't rain (a truly rare event in my memory),
made worse by two church services and/or a visit to my paternal
grandmother.

Mind you the worst part of Sunday was Monday, or at least getting ready
for Monday.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

unread,
Jan 14, 2022, 7:30:03 AMJan 14
to
Ah Tone, Toyland is a lot like California, they have to pump the
water in from places it does rain. Now how would you like to write me a nice
essay on irrigation - you can use the encyclopedia for references.

Tone

unread,
Jan 14, 2022, 7:41:33 AMJan 14
to
'My dad had to have irrigation. They poked a rubber tube up his bum, and
poured water down it through a funnel.'

Tone (Form 3)

Richard Robinson

unread,
Jan 14, 2022, 8:50:18 AMJan 14
to
Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 09:38:54 -0000
> "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Child, we saw some old Children's tv this morning at school.
>> One was called Noddy, why did Noddy have an open top car, as it always
>> rains here.
>> Parent, I don't know, really. Did you ask the teacher?
>> Yes he said the climate had changed since those days.....
>
> <thwack> to parent and teacher, and a second thwack to techer for
> the climate change remark - the correct answer AAFK is that Noddy lives in
> Toyland where it never rains. Thus starting sproglets on the road to
> understanding the difference between reality and fiction.

Yes.

>> Is this the way the kids are being taught about the climate? Sadly I can
>> remember those Noddy kids shows and I'm pretty sure it rained in the UK
>> back then as well....
>
> Quite a lot.

"And that's why we're not suprised that much of the country is covered
by grass".


--
Richard Robinson
"The whole plan hinged upon the natural curiosity of potatoes" - S. Lem

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Richard Robinson

unread,
Jan 14, 2022, 8:50:52 AMJan 14
to
"magic".

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

unread,
Jan 14, 2022, 9:00:02 AMJan 14
to
On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 12:41:38 +0000
Tone <em...@address.com> wrote:

> 'My dad had to have irrigation. They poked a rubber tube up his bum, and
> poured water down it through a funnel.'
>
> Tone (Form 3)

I'm sure the biology teacher would be fascinated by an essay about
that - ten pages please.

Tone

unread,
Jan 14, 2022, 9:50:18 AMJan 14
to
On 14/01/2022 13:53, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 12:41:38 +0000
> Tone <em...@address.com> wrote:
>
>> 'My dad had to have irrigation. They poked a rubber tube up his bum, and
>> poured water down it through a funnel.'
>>
>> Tone (Form 3)
>
> I'm sure the biology teacher would be fascinated by an essay about
> that - ten pages please.
>

That was ten pages. Very small ones.

Tone

Peter

unread,
Jan 14, 2022, 10:23:21 AMJan 14
to
Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote in
news:20220114110442.083c...@eircom.net:

>> I'm pretty sure it rained in the
>> UK back then as well....
>
> Quite a lot.
>

In those days I was living in Manchester. It rained.

--
Peter
-----

John Williamson

unread,
Jan 14, 2022, 10:32:14 AMJan 14
to
I read somewhere that it had the highest annual rainfall of any city in
the UK.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Kerr-Mudd, John

unread,
Jan 14, 2022, 2:18:59 PMJan 14
to
I ain't gonna post here no more if they keep handing out homework. (Plays with conkers).

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

RustyHinge

unread,
Jan 14, 2022, 3:35:48 PMJan 14
to
Should Stornoway have been a city Manchester would never have got near
that distinction.

--
Rusty Hinge
To err is human. To really foul things up requires a computer and the BOFH.

Tone

unread,
Jan 14, 2022, 4:02:12 PMJan 14
to
On 14/01/2022 20:35, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 14/01/2022 15:32, John Williamson wrote:
>> On 14/01/2022 15:23, Peter wrote:
>>> Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote in
>>> news:20220114110442.083c...@eircom.net:
>>>
>>>>> I'm pretty sure it rained in the
>>>>> UK back then as well....
>>>>
>>>>      Quite a lot.
>>>>
>>>
>>> In those days I was living in Manchester. It rained.
>>>
>> I read somewhere that it had the highest annual rainfall of any city
>> in the UK.
>
> Should Stornoway have been a city Manchester would never have got near
> that distinction.
>


Unless Manchester had been built on the Isle of Lewis.

Tone

Sam Plusnet

unread,
Jan 14, 2022, 4:41:52 PMJan 14
to
On 14-Jan-22 20:35, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 14/01/2022 15:32, John Williamson wrote:
>> On 14/01/2022 15:23, Peter wrote:
>>> Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote in
>>> news:20220114110442.083c...@eircom.net:
>>>
>>>>> I'm pretty sure it rained in the
>>>>> UK back then as well....
>>>>
>>>>      Quite a lot.
>>>>
>>>
>>> In those days I was living in Manchester. It rained.
>>>
>> I read somewhere that it had the highest annual rainfall of any city
>> in the UK.
>
> Should Stornoway have been a city Manchester would never have got near
> that distinction.
>
Which is perhaps one reason why Stornoway is not a city.

--
Sam Plusnet

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

unread,
Jan 14, 2022, 5:00:01 PMJan 14
to
Sigh, the dry lands, try the wet coast of Ireland. We've just had
six days straight without a drop of rain and yet I still need wellies to
walk to the end of my back swamp^Wgarden because of the preceding double
fortnight with no weak ends only wetnessdays, at least it now goes squelch
instead of splash!

Richard Robinson

unread,
Jan 14, 2022, 6:03:57 PMJan 14
to
I read an odd book a few weeks ago, all about a big sleazy city built
around the shores of Loch Eriboll. Malcolm Mackay, I think by, but I
can't unforget what it was called, or BA to lookitup.

John Williamson

unread,
Jan 15, 2022, 3:19:44 AMJan 15
to
On 14/01/2022 23:03, Richard Robinson wrote:

> I read an odd book a few weeks ago, all about a big sleazy city built
> around the shores of Loch Eriboll. Malcolm Mackay, I think by, but I
> can't unforget what it was called, or BA to lookitup.
>
>
Doesn't look like one I'd be interested in.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0772WR761/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Peter

unread,
Jan 15, 2022, 5:47:39 AMJan 15
to
John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote in
news:j4fecu...@mid.individual.net:
I might. I'll have to see if they have it on Kobo though, because I
eschew the big river, somewhat. And then it will have to wait in a rather
long reading queueue.

--
Peter
-----

Peter

unread,
Jan 15, 2022, 5:53:12 AMJan 15
to
Peter <mys...@prune.org.uk> wrote in
news:XnsAE206DCC15...@144.76.35.252:
Yup, there it is. 3zu59. geohlen. Thanks, Richard.

--
Peter
-----

Nicholas D. Richards

unread,
Jan 15, 2022, 7:02:30 AMJan 15
to
In article <XnsAE206DCC15...@144.76.35.252>, Peter
<mys...@prune.org.uk> on Sat, 15 Jan 2022 at 10:47:38 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
Another source:

https://www.hive.co.uk/Product/Malcolm-MacKay/In-the-Cage-Where-Your-
Saviours-Hide/21865376

Richard Robinson

unread,
Jan 15, 2022, 7:28:52 AMJan 15
to
You're welcome ... it's why I continue a big fan of the local library.
Try 'em for free, and there's always the option of npghnyyl fcraqvat
zbarl if you think it's worth reading more than once.

Richard Robinson

unread,
Jan 15, 2022, 7:44:59 AMJan 15
to
Ah, yes, another one. The one I met was "A Line of Forgotten Blood"


He also has a bunch of Glasgow Noir, not as weird.

Nicholas D. Richards

unread,
Jan 15, 2022, 9:52:37 AMJan 15
to
In article <UpWdnTcuhIBjIH_8...@brightview.co.uk>, Richard
Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> on Sat, 15 Jan 2022 at 06:28:46 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>Peter said:
>> Peter <mys...@prune.org.uk> wrote in
>> news:XnsAE206DCC15...@144.76.35.252:
>>
>>> John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote in
>>> news:j4fecu...@mid.individual.net:
>>>
>>>> On 14/01/2022 23:03, Richard Robinson wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> I read an odd book a few weeks ago, all about a big sleazy city
>>>>> built around the shores of Loch Eriboll. Malcolm Mackay, I think by,
>>>>> but I can't unforget what it was called, or BA to lookitup.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>> Doesn't look like one I'd be interested in.
>>>>
>>>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0772WR761/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encodin
>>>> g =UTF8&btkr=1
>>>>
>>>
>>> I might. I'll have to see if they have it on Kobo though, because I
>>> eschew the big river, somewhat. And then it will have to wait in a
>>> rather long reading queueue.
>>>
>>
>> Yup, there it is. 3zu59. geohlen. Thanks, Richard.
>
>You're welcome ... it's why I continue a big fan of the local library.
>Try 'em for free, and there's always the option of npghnyyl fcraqvat
>zbarl if you think it's worth reading more than once.
>
Much to my wife's disgust I like the feel of books and being able to
just go and pick up a book and consult it again or re-read it cover to
cover. Some of the books that I bought when I was an undergraduate have
finger grease marks on some of their index pages.

I have bought the complete set of the re-published Penguin Maigret
novels (74 of them), I have re-read some of them three times now. It has
been a bit of a nostalgia fest for my early teens. Mind you, old age
has its compensations, when it comes to re-reading novels. When I was
a child, I could not afford to buy more than a few, so I did depend on
the library.

chr...@privacy.net

unread,
Jan 15, 2022, 10:16:47 AMJan 15
to
On 14/01/2022 20:35, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 14/01/2022 15:32, John Williamson wrote:
>> On 14/01/2022 15:23, Peter wrote:
>>> Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote in
>>> news:20220114110442.083c...@eircom.net:
>>>
>>>>> I'm pretty sure it rained in the
>>>>> UK back then as well....
>>>>
>>>>      Quite a lot.
>>>>
>>>
>>> In those days I was living in Manchester. It rained.
>>>
>> I read somewhere that it had the highest annual rainfall of any city
>> in the UK.
>
> Should Stornoway have been a city Manchester would never have got near
> that distinction.
>
Not to mention Denley Moor?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STl224mhlA8

Chris

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

unread,
Jan 16, 2022, 6:50:24 AMJan 16
to
I suspect that the person had not thought it through, so just fobbed him
off.

If it never rains in toyland, how come there are toy boats?

Brian

--

This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Ahem A Rivet's Shot" <ste...@eircom.net> wrote in message
news:20220114110442.083c...@eircom.net...

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

unread,
Jan 16, 2022, 6:54:53 AMJan 16
to
I remember building a model railway when I was young and we had a river and
a lake. they were in fact mirrors or plastic with something stuck on the
back. I also remember designing a tunnel entrance out of cardboard cut from
a toy typewriter box as it looked a bit like stone cladding. We used a
pencil to make the sooty mark where the trains went in.


Great fun, I even electrified some of the lamp posts using pigmy lights
running off the 12v of the transformer.
Brian

--

This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tone" <em...@address.com> wrote in message
news:srrnn6$c4m$1...@dont-email.me...

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

unread,
Jan 16, 2022, 6:57:31 AMJan 16
to
Yes well I had some of that, but itit was not a funnel. I believe the name
on it was Bardex or something.
Brian

--

This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tone" <em...@address.com> wrote in message
news:srrr1s$ag7$1...@dont-email.me...

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

unread,
Jan 16, 2022, 6:58:43 AMJan 16
to
I'm still thinking about the other puppet shows. I mean twizzle? Torchy the
Battery Boy?

Brian

--

This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Ahem A Rivet's Shot" <ste...@eircom.net> wrote in message
news:20220114135359.e64c...@eircom.net...

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

unread,
Jan 16, 2022, 7:03:10 AMJan 16
to
I never got into magic.

Do you remember those magic sets a misguided relative always got you for
Christmas? Total Junk. Give me Radionics parts any day, build a transistor
radio, with 6Ba nuts, bolts and brass strips to connect the bits together
then learn how to line it up and get very distant stations.
Brian

--

This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Richard Robinson" <rich...@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:ypSdnaIMKd8r4nz8...@brightview.co.uk...

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

unread,
Jan 16, 2022, 7:07:38 AMJan 16
to
I expect the teacher was trying to avoid questions about Big Ears.
I guess its good though that youngsters are able to see older tv as often
Noddy is considered very non PC and Enid Blighton a bit of a racist
according to the stuff I've read, but this is all about societal norms for
the time of course, which changes as the years pass by.

We there any women in Toyland? I don't remember any.

Brian

--

This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Nicholas D. Richards" <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote in message
news:JeltfJAQ...@salmiron.com...
> In article <20220114110442.083c...@eircom.net>, Ahem A
> Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> on Fri, 14 Jan 2022 at 11:04:42 awoke
> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>>On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 09:38:54 -0000
>>"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Child, we saw some old Children's tv this morning at school.
>>> One was called Noddy, why did Noddy have an open top car, as it always
>>> rains here.
>>> Parent, I don't know, really. Did you ask the teacher?
>>> Yes he said the climate had changed since those days.....
>>
>> <thwack> to parent and teacher, and a second thwack to techer for
>>the climate change remark - the correct answer AAFK is that Noddy lives in
>>Toyland where it never rains. Thus starting sproglets on the road to
>>understanding the difference between reality and fiction.
>>
>>> Is this the way the kids are being taught about the climate? Sadly I
>>> can
>>> remember those Noddy kids shows and I'm pretty sure it rained in the UK
>>> back then as well....
>>
>> Quite a lot.
>>
> Like the wet Sundays in Manchester, of my memory (nearly 70 years ago).
> A certain Hungarian song always seemed to be appropriate for Sundays in
> Manchester, even if it didn't rain (a truly rare event in my memory),
> made worse by two church services and/or a visit to my paternal
> grandmother.
>
> Mind you the worst part of Sunday was Monday, or at least getting ready
> for Monday.

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

unread,
Jan 16, 2022, 7:10:31 AMJan 16
to
I was just thinking back. Were they puppets or stop motion animations, I'm
tending toward the latter.

Incidentally what do you folk make of Shawn the Sheep? No dialogue, just
sounds, However it has audio description.

Brian

--

This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Richard Robinson" <rich...@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:ypSdnaMMKd8O4nz8...@brightview.co.uk...
> Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
>> On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 09:38:54 -0000
>> "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Child, we saw some old Children's tv this morning at school.
>>> One was called Noddy, why did Noddy have an open top car, as it always
>>> rains here.
>>> Parent, I don't know, really. Did you ask the teacher?
>>> Yes he said the climate had changed since those days.....
>>
>> <thwack> to parent and teacher, and a second thwack to techer for
>> the climate change remark - the correct answer AAFK is that Noddy lives
>> in
>> Toyland where it never rains. Thus starting sproglets on the road to
>> understanding the difference between reality and fiction.
>
> Yes.
>
>>> Is this the way the kids are being taught about the climate? Sadly I
>>> can
>>> remember those Noddy kids shows and I'm pretty sure it rained in the UK
>>> back then as well....
>>
>> Quite a lot.
>
> "And that's why we're not suprised that much of the country is covered
> by grass".

nev young

unread,
Jan 16, 2022, 7:26:24 AMJan 16
to
On 16/01/2022 11:58, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
> I'm still thinking about the other puppet shows. I mean twizzle? Torchy the
> Battery Boy?
>
I unforget all of them.
I unforget watching Rag, Tag and Bobtail as I snuggled up next to mum on
the couch.
As well as not understanding why Maid Marion[1] read the Picture Book[2].
Believing Percy Thrower was "the man who worked in the garden" that Bill
and Ben had to hide from when he came back from lunch. [3]

[1] Robin Hood with Richard Greene.
[2] Watch with mother.
[3] [because 2] was followed by a gardening program.

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse
that so many people are unable to understand what I write.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

unread,
Jan 16, 2022, 12:00:02 PMJan 16
to
On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 12:03:08 -0000
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Do you remember those magic sets a misguided relative always got you for
> Christmas? Total Junk. Give me Radionics parts any day,

Those kits were one of the best things Sinlcair ever did - I never
got any top up parts for mine though - instead I got a soldering iron and a
matchbox radio kit.

Nicholas D. Richards

unread,
Jan 16, 2022, 1:53:05 PMJan 16
to
In article <ss12tf$tgq$1...@dont-email.me>, nev young <newsforpasiphae1953@
yahoo.co.uk> on Sun, 16 Jan 2022 at 12:26:22 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>On 16/01/2022 11:58, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>> I'm still thinking about the other puppet shows. I mean twizzle? Torchy the
>> Battery Boy?
>>
>I unforget all of them.
>I unforget watching Rag, Tag and Bobtail as I snuggled up next to mum on
>the couch.
>As well as not understanding why Maid Marion[1] read the Picture Book[2].
>Believing Percy Thrower was "the man who worked in the garden" that Bill
>and Ben had to hide from when he came back from lunch. [3]
>
>[1] Robin Hood with Richard Greene.
>[2] Watch with mother.
>[3] [because 2] was followed by a gardening program.
>

[1] I always felt that the real hero was Alan Wheatley, every week the
Sheriff of Nottingham would be knocked down by that bully Robin Hood
only to get back up the following week to again to be knocked down by
the bully.

The first time I saw Alan Rickman play the English baddy (especially to
confirm American prejudices*) he reminded me of Alan Wheatly.

*Can you imagine them allowing the movie be made with that all American
hero Bruce Willis as Hans Gruber?

RustyHinge

unread,
Jan 16, 2022, 2:54:07 PMJan 16
to
On 16/01/2022 12:26, nev young wrote:
> On 16/01/2022 11:58, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>> I'm still thinking about the other puppet shows. I mean twizzle?
>> Torchy the
>> Battery Boy?
>>
> I unforget all of them.
> I unforget watching Rag, Tag and Bobtail as I snuggled up next to mum on
> the couch.
> As well as not understanding why Maid Marion[1] read the Picture Book[2].
> Believing Percy Thrower was "the man who worked in the garden" that Bill
> and Ben had to hide from when he came back from lunch. [3]
>
> [1] Robin Hood with Richard Greene.
> [2] Watch with mother.
> [3] [because 2] was followed by a gardening program.
>
Most of these I haven't heard of, but i used to watch Muffin the Mule on
my grandmother's pre-war console set (9" CRT screen), Hank et al, In
Town Tonight, etc (Once again we still the mighty roar of Lodnol Traffic...)

Tone

unread,
Jan 16, 2022, 3:03:58 PMJan 16
to
Keith Allen was the greatest Sheriff of not in Ham ever!

Tone

Tone

unread,
Jan 16, 2022, 3:04:39 PMJan 16
to
Andy Pandy rules!

Tone

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

unread,
Jan 16, 2022, 3:30:02 PMJan 16
to
On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:58:41 -0000
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm still thinking about the other puppet shows. I mean twizzle? Torchy
> the Battery Boy?

The names ring vague bells but I don't think I saw them. Gerry and
Sylvia Anderson dominated my childhood TV from quite an early age - once I
got past Andy Pandy, Bill and Ben, Jackanory et al - I've seen Thunderbirds
since and it really was remarkably good compared to some of the later
children's programs (Power Rangers I'm looking your way).

John Williamson

unread,
Jan 16, 2022, 3:47:37 PMJan 16
to
On 16/01/2022 20:14, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:58:41 -0000
> "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I'm still thinking about the other puppet shows. I mean twizzle? Torchy
>> the Battery Boy?
>
> The names ring vague bells but I don't think I saw them. Gerry and
> Sylvia Anderson dominated my childhood TV from quite an early age - once I
> got past Andy Pandy, Bill and Ben, Jackanory et al - I've seen Thunderbirds
> since and it really was remarkably good compared to some of the later
> children's programs (Power Rangers I'm looking your way).
>
The Anderson Family's shows were made, as should all children's
programmes, to appeal to the adults as well. Things the kids "got" and
things the adults "got" were not always the same, and in many cases,
both were laughing at the same jokes for different reasons.

Sam Plusnet

unread,
Jan 16, 2022, 4:46:21 PMJan 16
to
(That Brian Johnston in his earlier daze.)
>
> Andy Pandy rules!

When was the last time you heard about the Woodentops?

"the very biggest spotty dog you ever did see"


--
Sam Plusnet

Mike Fleming

unread,
Jan 16, 2022, 6:54:16 PMJan 16
to
Alan Rickman was a great Sheriff in the awful Kevin Costner film, Robin
Hood: Prince of Thieves. That's the one where they land apparently at
Dover, Robin Hood says they'll be at his father's castle in Nottingham
by nightfall, and they go there via Hadrian's Wall.

Mike Fleming

unread,
Jan 16, 2022, 7:02:49 PMJan 16
to
On 16/01/2022 20:14, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:58:41 -0000
> "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I'm still thinking about the other puppet shows. I mean twizzle? Torchy
>> the Battery Boy?
>
> The names ring vague bells but I don't think I saw them. Gerry and
> Sylvia Anderson dominated my childhood TV from quite an early age - once I
> got past Andy Pandy, Bill and Ben, Jackanory et al - I've seen Thunderbirds
> since and it really was remarkably good compared to some of the later
> children's programs (Power Rangers I'm looking your way).

I just about unforget Supercar, then there was Fireball XL5, then
Stingray, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet (which I think was when they
moved the actuating servoes into the puppets' bodies and/or shrank the
electronics and so got the heads down to proper human proportions). Then
Joe 90 and finally the mixed live and puppet Secret Service (with
Stanley Unwin).

Nick Odell

unread,
Jan 16, 2022, 9:32:49 PMJan 16
to
On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 23:54:14 +0000, Mike Fleming <mi...@tauzero.co.uk>
wrote:
Oybbql mini-cab drivers...

Nick

Nick Odell

unread,
Jan 16, 2022, 9:36:52 PMJan 16
to
That's something new I've learned. We didn't have a telly when I were
a nipper[405] and for me, In Town Tonight was always on the wireless.
I never realised before that it transferred to TV


Nick
[405]Which is probably why I can't be bothered with 'em now

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

unread,
Jan 17, 2022, 1:00:02 AMJan 17
to
On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 00:02:47 +0000
Mike Fleming <mi...@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:

> I just about unforget Supercar, then there was Fireball XL5, then
> Stingray, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet (which I think was when they
> moved the actuating servoes into the puppets' bodies and/or shrank the
> electronics and so got the heads down to proper human proportions). Then
> Joe 90 and finally the mixed live and puppet Secret Service (with
> Stanley Unwin).

Woah there, I missed that last one completely - all the rest are
familiar, but as a child I didn't notice the head size change.

chr...@privacy.net

unread,
Jan 17, 2022, 4:40:44 AMJan 17
to
From my childhood I seem to remember someone called 'Mr Pastry' - of
whom, I was told, I was a great fan.
Anybody else?

Chris

Mike Fleming

unread,
Jan 17, 2022, 5:17:28 AMJan 17
to
On 17/01/2022 09:40, Chr...@privacy.net wrote:
> From my childhood I seem to remember someone called 'Mr Pastry' - of
> whom, I was told, I was a great fan.
> Anybody else?

Yes, I unforget his existence but can't unforget what he actually did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Hearne

Nicholas D. Richards

unread,
Jan 17, 2022, 5:39:20 AMJan 17
to
In article <09l9ug9ka00gjm0uh...@4ax.com>, Nick Odell
<ni...@themusicworkshop.plus.com> on Mon, 17 Jan 2022 at 02:32:48 awoke
Like the Taxi (French) driver who took three quarters of an hour to take
three people, one British and two German, from the Gare Maritime,
Marseille to Gare St Charles. It is apparently a 5 minutes walk. We
should have done our homework.

Oybbql taxi drivers indeed.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Nicholas D. Richards

unread,
Jan 17, 2022, 5:59:06 AMJan 17
to
In article <Jm0FJ.63581$uVO3....@fx02.ams1>, Sam Plusnet
<n...@home.com> on Sun, 16 Jan 2022 at 21:46:17 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>On 16-Jan-22 20:04, Tone wrote:
>> On 16/01/2022 19:54, RustyHinge wrote:
>>> On 16/01/2022 12:26, nev young wrote:
>>>> On 16/01/2022 11:58, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>>>>> I'm still thinking about the other puppet shows. I mean twizzle?
>>>>> Torchy the
>>>>> Battery Boy?
>>>>>
>>>> I unforget all of them.
>>>> I unforget watching Rag, Tag and Bobtail as I snuggled up next to mum
>>>> on the couch.
>>>> As well as not understanding why Maid Marion[1] read the Picture
>>>> Book[2].
>>>> Believing Percy Thrower was "the man who worked in the garden" that
>>>> Bill and Ben had to hide from when he came back from lunch. [3]
>>>>
>>>> [1] Robin Hood with Richard Greene.
>>>> [2] Watch with mother.
>>>> [3] [because 2] was followed by a gardening program.
>>>>
>>> Most of these I haven't heard of, but i used to watch Muffin the Mule
>>> on my grandmother's pre-war console set (9" CRT screen), Hank et al,
>>> In Town Tonight, etc (Once again we still the mighty roar of Lodnol
>>> Traffic...)
>
>(That Brian Johnston in his earlier daze.)
>>
>> Andy Pandy rules!
>
I give you Billy Bean and his Funny Machine.

>When was the last time you heard about the Woodentops?
>
>"the very biggest spotty dog you ever did see"
>
Didn't Mr Hodges call Capt. Mainwaring a Woodentop? If not he should
have.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Peter

unread,
Jan 17, 2022, 6:11:24 AMJan 17
to
Mike Fleming <mi...@tauzero.co.uk> wrote in news:j4ku1mFa5tmU1
@mid.individual.net:
Wasn't there some sort of WvzzlFnivyyr-like scandal? No sign of in that
wikipedia article so maybe he was exonerated. Or maybe I imagined it.

--
Peter
-----

Richard Robinson

unread,
Jan 17, 2022, 6:42:06 AMJan 17
to
Mike Fleming said:
> On 17/01/2022 09:40, Chr...@privacy.net wrote:
>> From my childhood I seem to remember someone called 'Mr Pastry' - of
>> whom, I was told, I was a great fan.
>> Anybody else?
>
> Yes, I unforget his existence but can't unforget what he actually did.

Likewise

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Hearne

Richard Robinson

unread,
Jan 17, 2022, 6:43:21 AMJan 17
to
Videoed with an underage Danish ?

Richard Robinson

unread,
Jan 17, 2022, 6:49:55 AMJan 17
to
I can remmber being very cross about Pooh. [The book, read to me]
Supposed to be for kids, and the very first thing that happens
is he's "living under the name of Sanders".
"What ?"
"I's a grownup thing, you wouldn't understand".
"OI ! You said ..."

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

unread,
Jan 17, 2022, 7:00:01 AMJan 17
to
On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 10:35:14 +0000
"Nicholas D. Richards" <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote:

> Like the Taxi (French) driver who took three quarters of an hour to take
> three people, one British and two German, from the Gare Maritime,
> Marseille to Gare St Charles. It is apparently a 5 minutes walk. We
> should have done our homework.

Those guys must hate gurgle maps.

John Williamson

unread,
Jan 17, 2022, 7:07:36 AMJan 17
to
On 17/01/2022 11:57, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 10:35:14 +0000
> "Nicholas D. Richards" <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote:
>
>> Like the Taxi (French) driver who took three quarters of an hour to take
>> three people, one British and two German, from the Gare Maritime,
>> Marseille to Gare St Charles. It is apparently a 5 minutes walk. We
>> should have done our homework.
>
> Those guys must hate gurgle maps.
>
A lot of taxi drivers, whether hackney carriage or minicabs, have Gurgle
Mops (Or one of the other mapping apps) always on display. They still
have trouble finding places.

Mike Fleming

unread,
Jan 17, 2022, 7:44:17 AMJan 17
to
On 17/01/2022 11:42, Richard Robinson wrote:
> Mike Fleming said:
>> On 17/01/2022 09:40, Chr...@privacy.net wrote:
>>> From my childhood I seem to remember someone called 'Mr Pastry' - of
>>> whom, I was told, I was a great fan.
>>> Anybody else?
>>
>> Yes, I unforget his existence but can't unforget what he actually did.
>
> Likewise

But I did find an example of him in the role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVu3khlA8ME

Compare and contrast with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n7VI0rC8ZA

Nicholas D. Richards

unread,
Jan 17, 2022, 7:49:12 AMJan 17
to
In article <20220117115759.532a...@eircom.net>, Ahem A
Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> on Mon, 17 Jan 2022 at 11:57:59 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 10:35:14 +0000
>"Nicholas D. Richards" <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote:
>
>> Like the Taxi (French) driver who took three quarters of an hour to take
>> three people, one British and two German, from the Gare Maritime,
>> Marseille to Gare St Charles. It is apparently a 5 minutes walk. We
>> should have done our homework.
>
> Those guys must hate gurgle maps.
>
In 1988?
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Nicholas D. Richards

unread,
Jan 17, 2022, 7:49:13 AMJan 17
to
In article <oYSdnX-p_fnJy3j8...@brightview.co.uk>, Richard
Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> on Mon, 17 Jan 2022 at 05:43:16 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>Peter said:
>> Mike Fleming <mi...@tauzero.co.uk> wrote in news:j4ku1mFa5tmU1
>> @mid.individual.net:
>>
>>> On 17/01/2022 09:40, Chr...@privacy.net wrote:
>>>> From my childhood I seem to remember someone called 'Mr Pastry' - of
>>>> whom, I was told, I was a great fan.
>>>> Anybody else?
>>>
>>> Yes, I unforget his existence but can't unforget what he actually did.
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Hearne
>>
>> Wasn't there some sort of WvzzlFnivyyr-like scandal? No sign of in that
>> wikipedia article so maybe he was exonerated. Or maybe I imagined it.
>
>Videoed with an underage Danish ?
>
A Smørrebrød or a Wienerbrød?
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

nev young

unread,
Jan 17, 2022, 8:14:15 AMJan 17
to
Yer ununforgot Terrorhawks

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse
that so many people are unable to understand what I write.

Richard Robinson

unread,
Jan 17, 2022, 9:29:38 AMJan 17
to
Given that an English Danish Pastry is a Danish Viennese Bread[1], does
anybody happen to know what they are in Vienna ?

[1] sorry imitation of, anyway

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

unread,
Jan 17, 2022, 10:30:02 AMJan 17
to
On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 12:07:32 +0000
John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> A lot of taxi drivers, whether hackney carriage or minicabs, have Gurgle
> Mops (Or one of the other mapping apps) always on display. They still
> have trouble finding places.

Don't they still have "The Knowledge" in that nodnoL ?