Heard in the street.

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Jan 14, 2022, 4:38:59 AM1/14/22
Child, we saw some old Children's tv this morning at school.
One was called Noddy, why did Noddy have an open top car, as it always
rains here.
Parent, I don't know, really. Did you ask the teacher?
Yes he said the climate had changed since those days.....

Is this the way the kids are being taught about the climate? Sadly I can
remember those Noddy kids shows and I'm pretty sure it rained in the UK back
then as well....

So it got me thinking about some of the shows we saw in the 50s, Wooden
tops. Andy Pandy, and I think I caught the end of Muffin the Mule, though I
recall wondering at the time how come you would have a small horse on top of
a piano.
What about other puppet shows like Twizzle, Four Feather Falls, and Space
patrol.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jan 14, 2022, 6:30:01 AM1/14/22
On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 09:38:54 -0000
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Child, we saw some old Children's tv this morning at school.
> One was called Noddy, why did Noddy have an open top car, as it always
> rains here.
> Parent, I don't know, really. Did you ask the teacher?
> Yes he said the climate had changed since those days.....

<thwack> to parent and teacher, and a second thwack to techer for
the climate change remark - the correct answer AAFK is that Noddy lives in
Toyland where it never rains. Thus starting sproglets on the road to
understanding the difference between reality and fiction.

> Is this the way the kids are being taught about the climate? Sadly I can
> remember those Noddy kids shows and I'm pretty sure it rained in the UK
> back then as well....

Quite a lot.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Tone

Jan 14, 2022, 6:44:41 AM1/14/22
On 14/01/2022 11:04, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> <thwack> to parent and teacher, and a second thwack to techer for
> the climate change remark - the correct answer AAFK is that Noddy lives in
> Toyland where it never rains. Thus starting sproglets on the road to
> understanding the difference between reality and fiction.

Please Miss, if it never rains in Toyland how do all those toy trees and
how does all that toy grass grow? And where does the water come from in
the toy river?

Tone (aged 7)

Nicholas D. Richards

Jan 14, 2022, 6:54:23 AM1/14/22
In article <20220114110442.083c...@eircom.net>, Ahem A
Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> on Fri, 14 Jan 2022 at 11:04:42 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
Like the wet Sundays in Manchester, of my memory (nearly 70 years ago).
A certain Hungarian song always seemed to be appropriate for Sundays in
Manchester, even if it didn't rain (a truly rare event in my memory),
made worse by two church services and/or a visit to my paternal
grandmother.

Mind you the worst part of Sunday was Monday, or at least getting ready
for Monday.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jan 14, 2022, 7:30:03 AM1/14/22
Ah Tone, Toyland is a lot like California, they have to pump the
water in from places it does rain. Now how would you like to write me a nice
essay on irrigation - you can use the encyclopedia for references.

Tone

Jan 14, 2022, 7:41:33 AM1/14/22
'My dad had to have irrigation. They poked a rubber tube up his bum, and
poured water down it through a funnel.'

Tone (Form 3)

Richard Robinson

Jan 14, 2022, 8:50:18 AM1/14/22
Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 09:38:54 -0000
> "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Child, we saw some old Children's tv this morning at school.
>> One was called Noddy, why did Noddy have an open top car, as it always
>> rains here.
>> Parent, I don't know, really. Did you ask the teacher?
>> Yes he said the climate had changed since those days.....
>
> <thwack> to parent and teacher, and a second thwack to techer for
> the climate change remark - the correct answer AAFK is that Noddy lives in
> Toyland where it never rains. Thus starting sproglets on the road to
> understanding the difference between reality and fiction.

Yes.

>> Is this the way the kids are being taught about the climate? Sadly I can
>> remember those Noddy kids shows and I'm pretty sure it rained in the UK
>> back then as well....
>
> Quite a lot.

"And that's why we're not suprised that much of the country is covered
by grass".

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Richard Robinson

Jan 14, 2022, 8:50:52 AM1/14/22
"magic".

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jan 14, 2022, 9:00:02 AM1/14/22
On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 12:41:38 +0000
Tone <em...@address.com> wrote:

> 'My dad had to have irrigation. They poked a rubber tube up his bum, and
> poured water down it through a funnel.'
>
> Tone (Form 3)

I'm sure the biology teacher would be fascinated by an essay about
that - ten pages please.

Tone

Jan 14, 2022, 9:50:18 AM1/14/22
On 14/01/2022 13:53, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 12:41:38 +0000
> Tone <em...@address.com> wrote:
>
>> 'My dad had to have irrigation. They poked a rubber tube up his bum, and
>> poured water down it through a funnel.'
>>
>> Tone (Form 3)
>
> I'm sure the biology teacher would be fascinated by an essay about
> that - ten pages please.

That was ten pages. Very small ones.

Tone

Peter

Jan 14, 2022, 10:23:21 AM1/14/22
Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote in

>> I'm pretty sure it rained in the
>> UK back then as well....
>
> Quite a lot.

In those days I was living in Manchester. It rained.

--
Peter
-----

John Williamson

Jan 14, 2022, 10:32:14 AM1/14/22
I read somewhere that it had the highest annual rainfall of any city in
the UK.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Kerr-Mudd, John

Jan 14, 2022, 2:18:59 PM1/14/22
I ain't gonna post here no more if they keep handing out homework. (Plays with conkers).

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

RustyHinge

Jan 14, 2022, 3:35:48 PM1/14/22
Should Stornoway have been a city Manchester would never have got near
that distinction.

--
Rusty Hinge

Tone

Jan 14, 2022, 4:02:12 PM1/14/22
On 14/01/2022 20:35, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 14/01/2022 15:32, John Williamson wrote:
>> On 14/01/2022 15:23, Peter wrote:
>>> Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote in

>>> In those days I was living in Manchester. It rained.
>>>
>> I read somewhere that it had the highest annual rainfall of any city
>> in the UK.
>
> Should Stornoway have been a city Manchester would never have got near
> that distinction.

Unless Manchester had been built on the Isle of Lewis.

Tone

Sam Plusnet

Jan 14, 2022, 4:41:52 PM1/14/22
On 14-Jan-22 20:35, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 14/01/2022 15:32, John Williamson wrote:
>> On 14/01/2022 15:23, Peter wrote:
>>> Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote in

>>> In those days I was living in Manchester. It rained.
>>>
>> I read somewhere that it had the highest annual rainfall of any city
>> in the UK.
>
> Should Stornoway have been a city Manchester would never have got near
> that distinction.

Which is perhaps one reason why Stornoway is not a city.

--
Sam Plusnet

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jan 14, 2022, 5:00:01 PM1/14/22
Sigh, the dry lands, try the wet coast of Ireland. We've just had
six days straight without a drop of rain and yet I still need wellies to
walk to the end of my back swamp^Wgarden because of the preceding double
fortnight with no weak ends only wetnessdays, at least it now goes squelch
instead of splash!

Richard Robinson

Jan 14, 2022, 6:03:57 PM1/14/22
I read an odd book a few weeks ago, all about a big sleazy city built
around the shores of Loch Eriboll. Malcolm Mackay, I think by, but I
can't unforget what it was called, or BA to lookitup.

John Williamson

Jan 15, 2022, 3:19:44 AM1/15/22
On 14/01/2022 23:03, Richard Robinson wrote:

> I read an odd book a few weeks ago, all about a big sleazy city built
> around the shores of Loch Eriboll. Malcolm Mackay, I think by, but I
> can't unforget what it was called, or BA to lookitup.

Doesn't look like one I'd be interested in.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0772WR761/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Peter

Jan 15, 2022, 5:47:39 AM1/15/22
John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote in
I might. I'll have to see if they have it on Kobo though, because I
eschew the big river, somewhat. And then it will have to wait in a rather
long reading queueue.

--
Peter
-----

Peter

Jan 15, 2022, 5:53:12 AM1/15/22
Peter <mys...@prune.org.uk> wrote in
Yup, there it is. 3zu59. geohlen. Thanks, Richard.

--
Peter
-----

Nicholas D. Richards

Jan 15, 2022, 7:02:30 AM1/15/22
In article <XnsAE206DCC15...@144.76.35.252>, Peter
<mys...@prune.org.uk> on Sat, 15 Jan 2022 at 10:47:38 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
Another source:

https://www.hive.co.uk/Product/Malcolm-MacKay/In-the-Cage-Where-Your-
Saviours-Hide/21865376

Richard Robinson

Jan 15, 2022, 7:28:52 AM1/15/22
You're welcome ... it's why I continue a big fan of the local library.
Try 'em for free, and there's always the option of npghnyyl fcraqvat
zbarl if you think it's worth reading more than once.

Richard Robinson

Jan 15, 2022, 7:44:59 AM1/15/22
Ah, yes, another one. The one I met was "A Line of Forgotten Blood"

He also has a bunch of Glasgow Noir, not as weird.

Nicholas D. Richards

Jan 15, 2022, 9:52:37 AM1/15/22
In article <UpWdnTcuhIBjIH_8...@brightview.co.uk>, Richard
Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> on Sat, 15 Jan 2022 at 06:28:46 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>Peter said:
>> Peter <mys...@prune.org.uk> wrote in
>>
>>> John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote in

>>> I might. I'll have to see if they have it on Kobo though, because I
>>> eschew the big river, somewhat. And then it will have to wait in a
>>> rather long reading queueue.
>>>

>> Yup, there it is. 3zu59. geohlen. Thanks, Richard.
>
>You're welcome ... it's why I continue a big fan of the local library.
>Try 'em for free, and there's always the option of npghnyyl fcraqvat
>zbarl if you think it's worth reading more than once.

Much to my wife's disgust I like the feel of books and being able to
just go and pick up a book and consult it again or re-read it cover to
cover. Some of the books that I bought when I was an undergraduate have
finger grease marks on some of their index pages.

I have bought the complete set of the re-published Penguin Maigret
novels (74 of them), I have re-read some of them three times now. It has
been a bit of a nostalgia fest for my early teens. Mind you, old age
has its compensations, when it comes to re-reading novels. When I was
a child, I could not afford to buy more than a few, so I did depend on
the library.

chr...@privacy.net

Jan 15, 2022, 10:16:47 AM1/15/22
On 14/01/2022 20:35, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 14/01/2022 15:32, John Williamson wrote:
>> On 14/01/2022 15:23, Peter wrote:
>>> Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote in

>>> In those days I was living in Manchester. It rained.
>>>
>> I read somewhere that it had the highest annual rainfall of any city
>> in the UK.
>
> Should Stornoway have been a city Manchester would never have got near
> that distinction.

Not to mention Denley Moor?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STl224mhlA8

Chris

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Jan 16, 2022, 6:50:24 AM1/16/22
I suspect that the person had not thought it through, so just fobbed him
off.

If it never rains in toyland, how come there are toy boats?

"Ahem A Rivet's Shot" <ste...@eircom.net> wrote in message
> [...]

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Jan 16, 2022, 6:54:53 AM1/16/22
I remember building a model railway when I was young and we had a river and
a lake. they were in fact mirrors or plastic with something stuck on the
back. I also remember designing a tunnel entrance out of cardboard cut from
a toy typewriter box as it looked a bit like stone cladding. We used a
pencil to make the sooty mark where the trains went in.

Great fun, I even electrified some of the lamp posts using pigmy lights
running off the 12v of the transformer.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tone" <em...@address.com> wrote in message

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Jan 16, 2022, 6:57:31 AM1/16/22
Yes well I had some of that, but itit was not a funnel. I believe the name
on it was Bardex or something.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tone" <em...@address.com> wrote in message

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Jan 16, 2022, 6:58:43 AM1/16/22
I'm still thinking about the other puppet shows. I mean twizzle? Torchy the
Battery Boy?

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Ahem A Rivet's Shot" <ste...@eircom.net> wrote in message

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Jan 16, 2022, 7:03:10 AM1/16/22
I never got into magic.

Do you remember those magic sets a misguided relative always got you for
Christmas? Total Junk. Give me Radionics parts any day, build a transistor
radio, with 6Ba nuts, bolts and brass strips to connect the bits together
then learn how to line it up and get very distant stations.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Richard Robinson" <rich...@privacy.net> wrote in message

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Jan 16, 2022, 7:07:38 AM1/16/22
I expect the teacher was trying to avoid questions about Big Ears.
I guess its good though that youngsters are able to see older tv as often
Noddy is considered very non PC and Enid Blighton a bit of a racist
according to the stuff I've read, but this is all about societal norms for
the time of course, which changes as the years pass by.

We there any women in Toyland? I don't remember any.

"Nicholas D. Richards" <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote in message
> In article <20220114110442.083c...@eircom.net>, Ahem A
> Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> on Fri, 14 Jan 2022 at 11:04:42 awoke
> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>>On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 09:38:54 -0000
>>"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Child, we saw some old Children's tv this morning at school.
>>> One was called Noddy, why did Noddy have an open top car, as it always
>>> rains here.
>>> Parent, I don't know, really. Did you ask the teacher?
>>> Yes he said the climate had changed since those days.....
>>
>> <thwack> to parent and teacher, and a second thwack to techer for
>>the climate change remark - the correct answer AAFK is that Noddy lives in
>>Toyland where it never rains. Thus starting sproglets on the road to
>>understanding the difference between reality and fiction.
>>
>>> Is this the way the kids are being taught about the climate? Sadly I
>>> can
>>> remember those Noddy kids shows and I'm pretty sure it rained in the UK
>>> back then as well....
>>
>> Quite a lot.
>>
> Like the wet Sundays in Manchester, of my memory (nearly 70 years ago).
> A certain Hungarian song always seemed to be appropriate for Sundays in
> Manchester, even if it didn't rain (a truly rare event in my memory),
> made worse by two church services and/or a visit to my paternal
> grandmother.
>
> Mind you the worst part of Sunday was Monday, or at least getting ready
> for Monday.

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Jan 16, 2022, 7:10:31 AM1/16/22
I was just thinking back. Were they puppets or stop motion animations, I'm
tending toward the latter.

Incidentally what do you folk make of Shawn the Sheep? No dialogue, just
sounds, However it has audio description.

> Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
>> On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 09:38:54 -0000
>> "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Child, we saw some old Children's tv this morning at school.
>>> One was called Noddy, why did Noddy have an open top car, as it always
>>> rains here.
>>> Parent, I don't know, really. Did you ask the teacher?
>>> Yes he said the climate had changed since those days.....
>>
>> <thwack> to parent and teacher, and a second thwack to techer for
>> the climate change remark - the correct answer AAFK is that Noddy lives
>> in
>> Toyland where it never rains. Thus starting sproglets on the road to
>> understanding the difference between reality and fiction.
>
> Yes.
>
>>> Is this the way the kids are being taught about the climate? Sadly I
>>> can
>>> remember those Noddy kids shows and I'm pretty sure it rained in the UK
>>> back then as well....
>>
>> Quite a lot.
>
> "And that's why we're not suprised that much of the country is covered
> by grass".

nev young

Jan 16, 2022, 7:26:24 AM1/16/22
On 16/01/2022 11:58, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
> I'm still thinking about the other puppet shows. I mean twizzle? Torchy the
> Battery Boy?

I unforget all of them.
I unforget watching Rag, Tag and Bobtail as I snuggled up next to mum on
the couch.
As well as not understanding why Maid Marion[1] read the Picture Book[2].
Believing Percy Thrower was "the man who worked in the garden" that Bill
and Ben had to hide from when he came back from lunch. [3]

[1] Robin Hood with Richard Greene.
[2] Watch with mother.
[3] [because 2] was followed by a gardening program.

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jan 16, 2022, 12:00:02 PM1/16/22
On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 12:03:08 -0000
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Do you remember those magic sets a misguided relative always got you for
> Christmas? Total Junk. Give me Radionics parts any day,

Those kits were one of the best things Sinlcair ever did - I never
got any top up parts for mine though - instead I got a soldering iron and a
matchbox radio kit.

Nicholas D. Richards

Jan 16, 2022, 1:53:05 PM1/16/22
In article <ss12tf$tgq$1...@dont-email.me>, nev young <newsforpasiphae1953@
yahoo.co.uk> on Sun, 16 Jan 2022 at 12:26:22 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>On 16/01/2022 11:58, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>> I'm still thinking about the other puppet shows. I mean twizzle? Torchy the
>> Battery Boy?
>>
>I unforget all of them.
>I unforget watching Rag, Tag and Bobtail as I snuggled up next to mum on
>the couch.
>As well as not understanding why Maid Marion[1] read the Picture Book[2].
>Believing Percy Thrower was "the man who worked in the garden" that Bill
>and Ben had to hide from when he came back from lunch. [3]
>
>[1] Robin Hood with Richard Greene.
>[2] Watch with mother.
>[3] [because 2] was followed by a gardening program.

[1] I always felt that the real hero was Alan Wheatley, every week the
Sheriff of Nottingham would be knocked down by that bully Robin Hood
only to get back up the following week to again to be knocked down by
the bully.

The first time I saw Alan Rickman play the English baddy (especially to
confirm American prejudices*) he reminded me of Alan Wheatly.

*Can you imagine them allowing the movie be made with that all American
hero Bruce Willis as Hans Gruber?

RustyHinge

Jan 16, 2022, 2:54:07 PM1/16/22
On 16/01/2022 12:26, nev young wrote:
> On 16/01/2022 11:58, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>> I'm still thinking about the other puppet shows. I mean twizzle?
>> Torchy the
>> Battery Boy?
>>
> I unforget all of them.
> I unforget watching Rag, Tag and Bobtail as I snuggled up next to mum on
> the couch.
> As well as not understanding why Maid Marion[1] read the Picture Book[2].
> Believing Percy Thrower was "the man who worked in the garden" that Bill
> and Ben had to hide from when he came back from lunch. [3]
>
> [1] Robin Hood with Richard Greene.
> [2] Watch with mother.
> [3] [because 2] was followed by a gardening program.

Most of these I haven't heard of, but i used to watch Muffin the Mule on
my grandmother's pre-war console set (9" CRT screen), Hank et al, In
Town Tonight, etc (Once again we still the mighty roar of Lodnol Traffic...)

Tone

Jan 16, 2022, 3:03:58 PM1/16/22
Keith Allen was the greatest Sheriff of not in Ham ever!

Tone

Tone

Jan 16, 2022, 3:04:39 PM1/16/22
Andy Pandy rules!

Tone

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jan 16, 2022, 3:30:02 PM1/16/22
On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:58:41 -0000
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm still thinking about the other puppet shows. I mean twizzle? Torchy
> the Battery Boy?

The names ring vague bells but I don't think I saw them. Gerry and
Sylvia Anderson dominated my childhood TV from quite an early age - once I
got past Andy Pandy, Bill and Ben, Jackanory et al - I've seen Thunderbirds
since and it really was remarkably good compared to some of the later
children's programs (Power Rangers I'm looking your way).

John Williamson

Jan 16, 2022, 3:47:37 PM1/16/22
On 16/01/2022 20:14, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:58:41 -0000
> "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I'm still thinking about the other puppet shows. I mean twizzle? Torchy
>> the Battery Boy?
>
> The names ring vague bells but I don't think I saw them. Gerry and
> Sylvia Anderson dominated my childhood TV from quite an early age - once I
> got past Andy Pandy, Bill and Ben, Jackanory et al - I've seen Thunderbirds
> since and it really was remarkably good compared to some of the later
> children's programs (Power Rangers I'm looking your way).

The Anderson Family's shows were made, as should all children's
programmes, to appeal to the adults as well. Things the kids "got" and
things the adults "got" were not always the same, and in many cases,
both were laughing at the same jokes for different reasons.

Sam Plusnet

Jan 16, 2022, 4:46:21 PM1/16/22
(That Brian Johnston in his earlier daze.)

> Andy Pandy rules!

When was the last time you heard about the Woodentops?

"the very biggest spotty dog you ever did see"

--
Sam Plusnet

Mike Fleming

Jan 16, 2022, 6:54:16 PM1/16/22
Alan Rickman was a great Sheriff in the awful Kevin Costner film, Robin
Hood: Prince of Thieves. That's the one where they land apparently at
Dover, Robin Hood says they'll be at his father's castle in Nottingham
by nightfall, and they go there via Hadrian's Wall.

Mike Fleming

Jan 16, 2022, 7:02:49 PM1/16/22
On 16/01/2022 20:14, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:58:41 -0000
> "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I'm still thinking about the other puppet shows. I mean twizzle? Torchy
>> the Battery Boy?
>
> The names ring vague bells but I don't think I saw them. Gerry and
> Sylvia Anderson dominated my childhood TV from quite an early age - once I
> got past Andy Pandy, Bill and Ben, Jackanory et al - I've seen Thunderbirds
> since and it really was remarkably good compared to some of the later
> children's programs (Power Rangers I'm looking your way).

I just about unforget Supercar, then there was Fireball XL5, then
Stingray, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet (which I think was when they
moved the actuating servoes into the puppets' bodies and/or shrank the
electronics and so got the heads down to proper human proportions). Then
Joe 90 and finally the mixed live and puppet Secret Service (with
Stanley Unwin).

Nick Odell

Jan 16, 2022, 9:32:49 PM1/16/22
On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 23:54:14 +0000, Mike Fleming <mi...@tauzero.co.uk>
wrote:
Oybbql mini-cab drivers...

Nick

Nick Odell

Jan 16, 2022, 9:36:52 PM1/16/22
That's something new I've learned. We didn't have a telly when I were
a nipper[405] and for me, In Town Tonight was always on the wireless.
I never realised before that it transferred to TV

Nick
[405]Which is probably why I can't be bothered with 'em now

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jan 17, 2022, 1:00:02 AM1/17/22
On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 00:02:47 +0000
Mike Fleming <mi...@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:

> I just about unforget Supercar, then there was Fireball XL5, then
> Stingray, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet (which I think was when they
> moved the actuating servoes into the puppets' bodies and/or shrank the
> electronics and so got the heads down to proper human proportions). Then
> Joe 90 and finally the mixed live and puppet Secret Service (with
> Stanley Unwin).

Woah there, I missed that last one completely - all the rest are
familiar, but as a child I didn't notice the head size change.

chr...@privacy.net

Jan 17, 2022, 4:40:44 AM1/17/22
From my childhood I seem to remember someone called 'Mr Pastry' - of
whom, I was told, I was a great fan.
Anybody else?

Chris

Mike Fleming

Jan 17, 2022, 5:17:28 AM1/17/22
On 17/01/2022 09:40, Chr...@privacy.net wrote:
> From my childhood I seem to remember someone called 'Mr Pastry' - of
> whom, I was told, I was a great fan.
> Anybody else?

Yes, I unforget his existence but can't unforget what he actually did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Hearne

Nicholas D. Richards

Jan 17, 2022, 5:39:20 AM1/17/22
In article <09l9ug9ka00gjm0uh...@4ax.com>, Nick Odell
<ni...@themusicworkshop.plus.com> on Mon, 17 Jan 2022 at 02:32:48 awoke
Like the Taxi (French) driver who took three quarters of an hour to take
three people, one British and two German, from the Gare Maritime,
Marseille to Gare St Charles. It is apparently a 5 minutes walk. We
should have done our homework.

Oybbql taxi drivers indeed.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Nicholas D. Richards

Jan 17, 2022, 5:59:06 AM1/17/22
In article <Jm0FJ.63581$uVO3....@fx02.ams1>, Sam Plusnet
<n...@home.com> on Sun, 16 Jan 2022 at 21:46:17 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>On 16-Jan-22 20:04, Tone wrote:

>>> Most of these I haven't heard of, but i used to watch Muffin the Mule
>>> on my grandmother's pre-war console set (9" CRT screen), Hank et al,
>>> In Town Tonight, etc (Once again we still the mighty roar of Lodnol
>>> Traffic...)
>
>(That Brian Johnston in his earlier daze.)
>>
>> Andy Pandy rules!

I give you Billy Bean and his Funny Machine.

>When was the last time you heard about the Woodentops?
>
>"the very biggest spotty dog you ever did see"

Didn't Mr Hodges call Capt. Mainwaring a Woodentop? If not he should
have.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Peter

Jan 17, 2022, 6:11:24 AM1/17/22
Mike Fleming <mi...@tauzero.co.uk> wrote in news:j4ku1mFa5tmU1
@mid.individual.net:
Wasn't there some sort of WvzzlFnivyyr-like scandal? No sign of in that
wikipedia article so maybe he was exonerated. Or maybe I imagined it.

--
Peter
-----

Richard Robinson

Jan 17, 2022, 6:42:06 AM1/17/22
Mike Fleming said:
> On 17/01/2022 09:40, Chr...@privacy.net wrote:
>> From my childhood I seem to remember someone called 'Mr Pastry' - of
>> whom, I was told, I was a great fan.
>> Anybody else?
>
> Yes, I unforget his existence but can't unforget what he actually did.

Likewise

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Hearne

Richard Robinson

Jan 17, 2022, 6:43:21 AM1/17/22
Videoed with an underage Danish ?

Richard Robinson

Jan 17, 2022, 6:49:55 AM1/17/22
I can remmber being very cross about Pooh. [The book, read to me]
Supposed to be for kids, and the very first thing that happens
is he's "living under the name of Sanders".
"What ?"
"I's a grownup thing, you wouldn't understand".
"OI ! You said ..."

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jan 17, 2022, 7:00:01 AM1/17/22
On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 10:35:14 +0000
"Nicholas D. Richards" <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote:

> Like the Taxi (French) driver who took three quarters of an hour to take
> three people, one British and two German, from the Gare Maritime,
> Marseille to Gare St Charles. It is apparently a 5 minutes walk. We
> should have done our homework.

Those guys must hate gurgle maps.

John Williamson

Jan 17, 2022, 7:07:36 AM1/17/22
On 17/01/2022 11:57, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 10:35:14 +0000
> "Nicholas D. Richards" <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote:
>
>> Like the Taxi (French) driver who took three quarters of an hour to take
>> three people, one British and two German, from the Gare Maritime,
>> Marseille to Gare St Charles. It is apparently a 5 minutes walk. We
>> should have done our homework.
>
> Those guys must hate gurgle maps.

A lot of taxi drivers, whether hackney carriage or minicabs, have Gurgle
Mops (Or one of the other mapping apps) always on display. They still
have trouble finding places.

Mike Fleming

Jan 17, 2022, 7:44:17 AM1/17/22
On 17/01/2022 11:42, Richard Robinson wrote:
> Mike Fleming said:
>> On 17/01/2022 09:40, Chr...@privacy.net wrote:
>>> From my childhood I seem to remember someone called 'Mr Pastry' - of
>>> whom, I was told, I was a great fan.
>>> Anybody else?
>>
>> Yes, I unforget his existence but can't unforget what he actually did.
>
> Likewise

But I did find an example of him in the role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVu3khlA8ME

Compare and contrast with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n7VI0rC8ZA

Nicholas D. Richards

Jan 17, 2022, 7:49:12 AM1/17/22
In article <20220117115759.532a...@eircom.net>, Ahem A
Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> on Mon, 17 Jan 2022 at 11:57:59 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 10:35:14 +0000
>"Nicholas D. Richards" <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote:
>
>> Like the Taxi (French) driver who took three quarters of an hour to take
>> three people, one British and two German, from the Gare Maritime,
>> Marseille to Gare St Charles. It is apparently a 5 minutes walk. We
>> should have done our homework.
>
> Those guys must hate gurgle maps.

In 1988?
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Nicholas D. Richards

Jan 17, 2022, 7:49:13 AM1/17/22
In article <oYSdnX-p_fnJy3j8...@brightview.co.uk>, Richard
Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> on Mon, 17 Jan 2022 at 05:43:16 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>Peter said:
>> Mike Fleming <mi...@tauzero.co.uk> wrote in news:j4ku1mFa5tmU1
>> @mid.individual.net:

>>> Yes, I unforget his existence but can't unforget what he actually did.
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Hearne
>>
>> Wasn't there some sort of WvzzlFnivyyr-like scandal? No sign of in that
>> wikipedia article so maybe he was exonerated. Or maybe I imagined it.
>
>Videoed with an underage Danish ?

A Smørrebrød or a Wienerbrød?
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

nev young

Jan 17, 2022, 8:14:15 AM1/17/22
Yer ununforgot Terrorhawks

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse
that so many people are unable to understand what I write.

Richard Robinson

Jan 17, 2022, 9:29:38 AM1/17/22
Given that an English Danish Pastry is a Danish Viennese Bread[1], does
anybody happen to know what they are in Vienna ?

[1] sorry imitation of, anyway

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jan 17, 2022, 10:30:02 AM1/17/22
On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 12:07:32 +0000
John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> A lot of taxi drivers, whether hackney carriage or minicabs, have Gurgle
> Mops (Or one of the other mapping apps) always on display. They still
> have trouble finding places.

Don't they still have "The Knowledge" in that nodnoL ?

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jan 17, 2022, 12:00:02 PM1/17/22
On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 13:14:14 +0000
nev young <newsforpa...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Yer ununforgot Terrorhawks

Yet another one I'd never heard of <fwse> ah 1980 vintage, no
wonder <lwks> oh boy Sgt Major Zero - how did I guess it was voiced by
Windsor Davies ?

Bernard Peek

Jan 17, 2022, 1:16:45 PM1/17/22
Four Feather Falls predates all of those.

--
Bernard Peek
b...@shrdlu.com

Tone

Jan 17, 2022, 2:01:52 PM1/17/22
On 17/01/2022 16:36, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 13:14:14 +0000
> nev young <newsforpa...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Yer ununforgot Terrorhawks
>
> Yet another one I'd never heard of <fwse> ah 1980 vintage, no
> wonder <lwks> oh boy Sgt Major Zero - how did I guess it was voiced by
> Windsor Davies ?

The Grove Family

Dixon of Dock Green

Tone

maus

Jan 17, 2022, 2:02:32 PM1/17/22
On 2022-01-17, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 12:07:32 +0000
> John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> A lot of taxi drivers, whether hackney carriage or minicabs, have Gurgle
>> Mops (Or one of the other mapping apps) always on display. They still
>> have trouble finding places.
>
> Don't they still have "The Knowledge" in that nodnoL ?

I was in Berlin in the years after the reunification. I was booked into
a hotel in Krutzberg (sp), near the telecom Tower, and admired it as it
appeared in the window of my taxi, right window, back window, and left
window. It happens all over.

An American visitor got a taxi out of dublin to the stephen's green area
and remarked to the driver, "I thought the mountains are to the South of
the city?"

In a kenyan city, the taxi driver stopped the taxi, and declared told
the passengers, "I cannot drive down this street, you will have to walk
two sections, and another driver will pick you up over there.", so the
people did that, and the same driver picked them up again. In that part
of the world, you do not question.

--
grey...@mail.com
That's not a mousehole!

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jan 17, 2022, 3:00:01 PM1/17/22
On 17 Jan 2022 19:02:30 GMT
maus <ma...@dmaus.org> wrote:

> In a kenyan city, the taxi driver stopped the taxi, and declared told
> the passengers, "I cannot drive down this street, you will have to walk
> two sections, and another driver will pick you up over there.", so the
> people did that, and the same driver picked them up again. In that part
> of the world, you do not question.

I don't know how much it has changed since a friend of mine did VSO
there in the late 1970s - it seems at the time that stowing away on ships
in that region was not an effective way of travelling because on
discovering a stowaway, rather than enter port with an unregistered person
on board they ensure that the person is not on board when they reach land,
and to avoid any complaints the stowaway is usually treated to a bullet in
the head before they disembark mid ocean.

The thing is that at the time my fiend arrived there was a bit of a
fuss about this practice - apparently the problem was that some captains
weren't waiting until they were far enough off shore and there had been
bodies where tourists might see them.

I put the area on my list of places I don't want to go - it's quite
a long list this is a pretty nasty planet - when's the next ship to Riser ?

RustyHinge

Jan 17, 2022, 3:19:22 PM1/17/22
On 17/01/2022 09:40, Chr...@privacy.net wrote:
Richard Hearn IIRC. I unforget him on the tellybox.

I got telly in the mid 1940s - well, 1945 'cos we were renting a
bungalow in Upminster, 1944-5, close to where my grandmother lived. When
the house in Hornchurch which we *had* been renting was put up for sale
(cheap, because that Herr Hitler was aiming his doodle-bugs at
Hornchurch Aerodrome) and the parents decided to take the risk, ohling
the house just before the end of hostilities when GI beganagin, my
TV-savvy began, but was swiftly shot down 'cos I was sent off to bawdy
fpubby while my mother trained as a physioterrorist.

I can't unforget what I did during the holidays, but there was no telly.

--
Rusty Hinge

RustyHinge

Jan 17, 2022, 3:23:02 PM1/17/22
Not with Mr. Pastry. He was sort-of funny with mild slapstick

Sam Plusnet

Jan 17, 2022, 6:02:22 PM1/17/22
On 17-Jan-22 12:44, Mike Fleming wrote:
> On 17/01/2022 11:42, Richard Robinson wrote:
>> Mike Fleming said:
>>>
>>> Yes, I unforget his existence but can't unforget what he actually did.
>>
>> Likewise
>
> But I did find an example of him in the role.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVu3khlA8ME

How do you think the US got the idea for Kentucky Fried Chicken?

It weren't no Colonel Sanders.

--
Sam Plusnet

Sam Plusnet

Jan 17, 2022, 6:12:03 PM1/17/22
On 17-Jan-22 19:01, Tone wrote:

> Dixon of Dock Green

I've been whistling that theme snog for the last three days.
Drives SWMBO mad.

80 year-old Police sergeant? Of course, no problem with that.

--
Sam Plusnet

Nicholas D. Richards

Jan 18, 2022, 4:31:49 AM1/18/22
In article <4JmFJ.105025$Xrb5....@fx01.ams1>, Sam Plusnet
<n...@home.com> on Mon, 17 Jan 2022 at 23:12:00 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
Of course, to enjoy drama, you have to suspend disbelief.

If you cannot disbelief then Jack becomes a very boring boy(girl).

On the other hand if you cannot then un-suspend disbelief you become a
Trumpff supporter and storm the Capitol in Washington DC.

--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

soup

Jan 18, 2022, 7:34:04 AM1/18/22
On 16/01/2022 14:18, Absurd Burd wrote:
> nev young <newsforpa...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Believing Percy Thrower was "the man who worked in the garden"
>> that Bill and Ben had to hide from when he came back from lunch.
>
> [...]
>
> Bill: "Aw, flobble-ob!"
> Ben: "Sbe tubq'f fnxr, Ovyy, rvgure fcvg vg bhg be fjnyybj vg."
> Little Weed: "Wee-ee-eed..."

Bill: "Aw, flobble-ob!"
Ben; "Ab V'yy trg gurfr lbh ner gbb cvffrq "

Sam Plusnet

Jan 18, 2022, 4:10:52 PM1/18/22
On 18-Jan-22 9:24, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> In article <4JmFJ.105025$Xrb5....@fx01.ams1>, Sam Plusnet
> <n...@home.com> on Mon, 17 Jan 2022 at 23:12:00 awoke Nicholas from his
> slumbers and wrote
>> On 17-Jan-22 19:01, Tone wrote:
>>
>>> Dixon of Dock Green
>>
>> I've been whistling that theme snog for the last three days.
>> Drives SWMBO mad.
>>
>> 80 year-old Police sergeant? Of course, no problem with that.
>>
> Of course, to enjoy drama, you have to suspend disbelief.

Well, the light from that blue lamp is quite flattering.
Takes years off you.

--
Sam Plusnet

Mike Fleming

Jan 18, 2022, 5:25:39 PM1/18/22
Yes and no - I never saw it, and it was glove puppets.

Mike Fleming

Jan 18, 2022, 5:28:55 PM1/18/22
How old was David Jason when DI Frost retired? (gwgls) Ah, a mere
stripling of 70.

Mike Fleming

Jan 18, 2022, 5:29:45 PM1/18/22
And I don't unforget it. Nor Torchy.

Nicholas D. Richards

Jan 18, 2022, 6:16:10 PM1/18/22
In article <j4ot94...@mid.individual.net>, Mike Fleming
<mi...@tauzero.co.uk> on Tue, 18 Jan 2022 at 22:28:51 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
In reverse a 48 year old playing a 70 year old Corporal Jones.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Tone

Jan 18, 2022, 7:23:43 PM1/18/22
David Jason aged 35 playing an old man in Porridge. 1.39 in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJj1wJ1Ymc8

Tone

Nicholas D. Richards

Feb 3, 2022, 4:09:47 AM2/3/22
In article <ss1t4t$qo7$1...@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.
girolle.co.uk> on Sun, 16 Jan 2022 at 19:54:05 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>On 16/01/2022 12:26, nev young wrote:
>> On 16/01/2022 11:58, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>>> I'm still thinking about the other puppet shows. I mean twizzle?
>>> Torchy the
>>> Battery Boy?
>>>
>> I unforget all of them.
>> I unforget watching Rag, Tag and Bobtail as I snuggled up next to mum on
>> the couch.
>> As well as not understanding why Maid Marion[1] read the Picture Book[2].
>> Believing Percy Thrower was "the man who worked in the garden" that Bill
>> and Ben had to hide from when he came back from lunch. [3]
>>
>> [1] Robin Hood with Richard Greene.
>> [2] Watch with mother.
>> [3] [because 2] was followed by a gardening program.
>>
>Most of these I haven't heard of, but i used to watch Muffin the Mule on
>my grandmother's pre-war console set (9" CRT screen), Hank et al, In
>Town Tonight, etc (Once again we still the mighty roar of Lodnol Traffic...)

Pre-war television. Your grandmother must have spent a shed load of
money on it and she must have lived very close to Ally Pally. Hanging on
to a costly piece of, at that time, useless electronics for 8 years must
have taken quite a lot of confidence that eventually it would become
useful.

The first time I saw a television was at my grandmother's house on 2nd
June 1953. What I remember was boredom, I did not understand what was so
fascinating about the event. Eventually 3 bored children were put on the
naughty step. (Actually they weren't, they had their ears boxed; how
times have changed). They were lucky, the naughty step at my
grandmother's was the coal hole, unlit with a hole in the street where
the coal man deposited the coal and a door in the cellar. So granny did
not store her coal in the bath!

We never had a television at home. Not long afterwards I discovered a
neighbour, who had a television, and missed having young children about.
I was able to nip round there and watch children's TV. Her television
was a monstrosity, the CRT tube was tiny but the image was reflected
onto a quite (for those days) large translucent screen. The curtains had
to be drawn closed to see the picture. I used to watch the Test matches
with a strict understanding that I would call her when Fred Trueman came
in to bat; "Now we will see some fireworks" she would see.

--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

RustyHinge

Feb 3, 2022, 9:59:28 PM2/3/22
On 03/02/2022 09:01, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:

> Pre-war television. Your grandmother must have spent a shed load of
> money on it and she must have lived very close to Ally Pally. Hanging on
> to a costly piece of, at that time, useless electronics for 8 years must
> have taken quite a lot of confidence that eventually it would become
> useful.

Grandfather was a society bookie as well as racehorse breeder and owner.
Dodgy - he died being owed what today would amount to £millions, mdebts
which were never honoured.

It *was* also a radio...

She knew who was going to win the war: her youngest son was a Royal
Marine Commando.

> The first time I saw a television was at my grandmother's house on 2nd
> June 1953. What I remember was boredom, I did not understand what was so
> fascinating about the event. Eventually 3 bored children were put on the
> naughty step. (Actually they weren't, they had their ears boxed; how
> times have changed). They were lucky, the naughty step at my
> grandmother's was the coal hole, unlit with a hole in the street where
> the coal man deposited the coal and a door in the cellar. So granny did
> not store her coal in the bath!

People who did tended to be those whose houses had been provided with
bathrooms, but no connection to a water main.

> We never had a television at home.

We didn't have one until 1956, by which time I had found better ways to
occupy my time.

> Not long afterwards I discovered a
> neighbour, who had a television, and missed having young children about.
> I was able to nip round there and watch children's TV. Her television
> was a monstrosity, the CRT tube was tiny but the image was reflected
> onto a quite (for those days) large translucent screen. The curtains had
> to be drawn closed to see the picture. I used to watch the Test matches
> with a strict understanding that I would call her when Fred Trueman came
> in to bat; "Now we will see some fireworks" she would see.

Sure it was a CRT sounds rather like the Baird spinning disc arrangement.

Jonathan Harston

Feb 5, 2022, 7:22:53 PM2/5/22
Brian Gaff wrote:
> Do you remember those magic sets a misguided relative always got you for
> Christmas? Total Junk. Give me Radionics parts any day, build a transistor
> radio, with 6Ba nuts, bolts and brass strips to connect the bits together
> then learn how to line it up and get very distant stations.

Radionics X24 electronics kit was my first. I still have the manual.
Followed by Ladybird Build A Transistor Radio.
Message has been deleted

Don Stockbauer

Feb 6, 2022, 2:43:31 PM2/6/22
What is the Ladybird "build a transistor radio " named after Lady Bird Johnson?

John Williamson

Feb 6, 2022, 2:52:59 PM2/6/22
Ladybird was the trademark of a series of books aimed at children. They
covered a very wide range of material ranging from fiction to some
fairly technical science and engineering, all simplified to suit their
audience.

You can download the "How to build..." book here, and the radio
described can still be built from commercially available components at a
price....

https://worldradiohistory.com/BOOKSHELF-ARH/Author-Groups/G.C.Dobbs/Making-a-Transistor-Radio-Dobbs.pdf

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

ChrisND @UKRM

Feb 7, 2022, 9:19:34 AM2/7/22
On 06/02/2022 19:52, John Williamson wrote:
> On 06/02/2022 19:43, Don Stockbauer wrote:
>> On Saturday, February 5, 2022 at 6:22:53 PM UTC-6, Jonathan Harston
>> wrote:
>>> Radionics X24 electronics kit was my first. I still have the manual.
>>> Followed by Ladybird Build A Transistor Radio.
>>
>> What is the Ladybird "build a transistor radio " named after Lady Bird
>> Johnson?
>>
> Ladybird was the trademark of a series of books aimed at children. They
> covered a very wide range of material ranging from fiction to some
> fairly technical science and engineering, all simplified to suit their
> audience.

I remember having a lovable one called 'Magnets, Bulbs & Batteries'
Utter magic :-)

Chris

--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Feb 7, 2022, 10:00:03 AM2/7/22
On Mon, 7 Feb 2022 14:19:31 +0000
"ChrisND @UKRM" <chr...@privacy.net> wrote:

> I remember having a lovable one called 'Magnets, Bulbs & Batteries'
> Utter magic :-)

A wonderful book, I think I made everything in it at least twice -
the motor rather more often once I got my hands on a suitable magnet.

Mike Fleming

Feb 9, 2022, 7:46:47 AM2/9/22
On 06/02/2022 19:52, John Williamson wrote:
"Take a ... piece of washed coke about the size of a pea". Damn. I don't
know any dealers these days.

OC71s seem to be about the same price as they were when Uncle Clive
Sinclair wrote his transistor circuit booklets (1962).
http://vintageradio.me.uk/oas/sinclairtranccts.htm

I built a similar crystal set to the first version, only with a coil
wrapped on a length of dowel rather than a ferrite core. Same variable
capacitor though. I had an aerial running the length of the garden to
the oak tree - https://goo.gl/maps/pjsKYe4W4ixXT112A and my old house is
in the middle, with the loft conversion which was my bedroom (and the
other end of the aerial) visible.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Feb 9, 2022, 10:00:02 AM2/9/22
On Wed, 9 Feb 2022 12:46:44 +0000
Mike Fleming <mi...@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:

> OC71s seem to be about the same price as they were when Uncle Clive
> Sinclair wrote his transistor circuit booklets (1962).
> http://vintageradio.me.uk/oas/sinclairtranccts.htm

I'll bet they don't come with clear goop inside so you can scrape
the paint off and use them as phototransistors - I was most put out when I
first found opaque, blue goop in an OC71 - the OCP71s were nearly ten times
the cevpr.

Peter

Feb 9, 2022, 10:05:25 AM2/9/22

> On Wed, 9 Feb 2022 12:46:44 +0000
> Mike Fleming <mi...@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> OC71s seem to be about the same price as they were when Uncle Clive
>> Sinclair wrote his transistor circuit booklets (1962).
>> http://vintageradio.me.uk/oas/sinclairtranccts.htm
>
> I'll bet they don't come with clear goop inside so you can scrape
> the paint off and use them as phototransistors - I was most put out
> when I first found opaque, blue goop in an OC71 - the OCP71s were
> nearly ten times the cevpr.

A little nick (not Nick) with a glass cutter near the base and the glass
cover would come off. I usteruse meths to dissolve out the goo (which in
my exerience was opaque white) and then glue the cover back on again.

--
Peter
-----

John Williamson

Feb 9, 2022, 10:05:31 AM2/9/22
On 09/02/2022 14:53, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2022 12:46:44 +0000
> Mike Fleming <mi...@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> OC71s seem to be about the same price as they were when Uncle Clive
>> Sinclair wrote his transistor circuit booklets (1962).
>> http://vintageradio.me.uk/oas/sinclairtranccts.htm
>
> I'll bet they don't come with clear goop inside so you can scrape
> the paint off and use them as phototransistors - I was most put out when I
> first found opaque, blue goop in an OC71 - the OCP71s were nearly ten times
> the cevpr.

I remember when they worked that one out.... Gur fjvarf...

Mike Fleming

Feb 11, 2022, 3:36:43 PM2/11/22
On 09/02/2022 14:53, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2022 12:46:44 +0000
> Mike Fleming <mi...@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> OC71s seem to be about the same price as they were when Uncle Clive
>> Sinclair wrote his transistor circuit booklets (1962).
>> http://vintageradio.me.uk/oas/sinclairtranccts.htm
>
> I'll bet they don't come with clear goop inside so you can scrape
> the paint off and use them as phototransistors - I was most put out when I
> first found opaque, blue goop in an OC71 - the OCP71s were nearly ten times
> the cevpr.

If you look for OC71 on That Ebay, the first thing you'll find is a
couple of OC71s which have had their black paint removed, being sold as
phototransistors.

chr...@privacy.net

Feb 12, 2022, 9:09:32 AM2/12/22
That is just so 1971!
Most people had upgraded to ORP12s by then...

Chris

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Feb 12, 2022, 11:00:03 AM2/12/22
Only because we couldn't get clear OC71s.