Insewerants

Tease'n'Seize

Feb 12, 2024, 11:31:11 AMFeb 12
InsCo have not yet sent my renewal quote, but have sent out a
pre-emptive "why prices have gone up" email, with an invite to send them
my thoughts.

The web form they linked to has a particularly small text field, so my
thoughts were modified to be

"IfYouWantMyThoughtsPleaseLetMeTypeMoreThan50Charac"

I suppose I could alter the maxlength=50 in their form ...

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Feb 12, 2024, 12:30:03 PMFeb 12
Ahbut there's 10 characters for the user ID, 20 for the policy
number and that only leaves 50 columns on the card innit.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Sam Plusnet

Feb 12, 2024, 1:45:23 PMFeb 12
On 12-Feb-24 17:05, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2024 16:31:00 +0000
> Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote:
>
>> InsCo have not yet sent my renewal quote, but have sent out a
>> pre-emptive "why prices have gone up" email, with an invite to send them
>> my thoughts.
>>
>> The web form they linked to has a particularly small text field, so my
>> thoughts were modified to be
>>
>> "IfYouWantMyThoughtsPleaseLetMeTypeMoreThan50Charac"
>>
>> I suppose I could alter the maxlength=50 in their form ...
>
> Ahbut there's 10 characters for the user ID, 20 for the policy
> number and that only leaves 50 columns on the card innit.

Are insurance companies still doing that
"Your renewal is now due, but we aren't allowed to tell you what the
renewal premium will be unless you contact us."
thing?

--
Sam Plusnet

Tease'n'Seize

Feb 12, 2024, 1:55:17 PMFeb 12
Sam Plusnet wrote:

> Are insurance companies still doing that
> "Your renewal is now due, but we aren't allowed to tell you what the
> renewal premium will be unless you contact us."
> thing?

No, they have to tell you what it was last year and what it'll be to
renew ...

<https://www.fca.org.uk/firms/transparency-insurance-renewals>

Mike Spencer

Feb 13, 2024, 1:49:29 AMFeb 13
If they're getting your input with a TEXTAREA rather than some arcane js:

Save a copy of the page. Put thye original URL in a BASE tag within
the HEAD block.

change the relevant TEXTAREA attributes to make it 80 cols by 24 lines
and no MAXLENGTH. Load it into your browser, fill and submit.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Thomas Prufer

Feb 13, 2024, 2:09:18 AMFeb 13
er, what could happen on their side?

https://xkcd.com/327/

Thomas Prufer

Tease'n'Seize

Feb 13, 2024, 3:37:23 AMFeb 13
Mike Spencer wrote:

> Tease'n'Seize writes:
>
>> InsCo have not yet sent my renewal quote, but have sent out a
>> pre-emptive "why prices have gone up" email

And today the quote arrives, +62% compared last year, replacement policy
found at +11% so far
>> I suppose I could alter the maxlength=50 in their form ...
>
> If they're getting your input with a TEXTAREA rather than some arcane js:
>
> Save a copy of the page. Put thye original URL in a BASE tag within
> the HEAD block.
>
> change the relevant TEXTAREA attributes to make it 80 cols by 24 lines
> and no MAXLENGTH. Load it into your browser, fill and submit.

It's not even a textarea, just an single line text field

input name="Answer" type="text" placeholder="" required=""
maxlength="50" class="ic-1dc10fi-ic-text-select eetyfzj0" value="">

I simply tweaked the length attribute with firefox developer tools, of
course it's possible the handler at their end truncates it, or crashes
with a buffer overflow.

chr...@privacy.net

Feb 13, 2024, 10:10:17 AMFeb 13
Hmm... well mine dropped by 12 quids and swmbo's rose by 2 squid.*

HTH

Chris
*Both with Post Office btw

Mike Fleming

Feb 13, 2024, 10:53:16 AMFeb 13
On 12/02/2024 16:31, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
My insco told me renewal would be £500. I went compare and got a quote
for the same level of cover for £300. Existing insco could only get down
to £400 so I switched, after about 20 years with the old one. I did get
my cracked windscreen replaced on the old insco before the cover ran
out, I thought it was about time I got something back from them.

Tease'n'Seize

Feb 13, 2024, 11:11:15 AMFeb 13
Mike Fleming wrote:

> I did get
> my cracked windscreen replaced on the old insco before the cover ran
> out, I thought it was about time I got something back from them.

Thassa good point, I did get an advisory on the last MOT for chips
(despite the same chips being present and given the nod by the same
tester for the last 2 years) So I have got a month to get the current
insurer to fork out for it ...

Mike Spencer

Feb 13, 2024, 5:09:02 PMFeb 13

Thomas Prufer <prufer...@mnet-online.de.invalid> writes:

> On 13 Feb 2024 02:49:27 -0400, Mike Spencer <m...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:
>
>>> [snip]
>
>> If they're getting your input with a TEXTAREA rather than some arcane js:
>>
>> Save a copy of the page. Put thye original URL in a BASE tag within
>> the HEAD block.
>>
>> change the relevant TEXTAREA attributes to make it 80 cols by 24 lines
>> and no MAXLENGTH. Load it into your browser, fill and submit.
>
> er, what could happen on their side?
>
> https://xkcd.com/327/

Um, yes, there is that.

Global generalization: Forms are not intender to *collect* information
but to exclude or limit it, explicitly and structurally excluding
everything the *you* may think/know is relevant to the matter at hand
and limiting submitted information to items for the processing of
which some bureau, agency or program is prepared.

BTW, xkcd 327 is perhaps the first case in which the (very young)
Winston Churchill anecdote has relevance:

Tutor: What is the vocative of mensa?

WC: When might I employ the vocative of mensa, Sir?

Tutor: Why, in addressing a table.

WC: I do not converse with tables.

nev young

Feb 14, 2024, 3:37:09 AMFeb 14
On 13/02/2024 22:08, Mike Spencer wrote:

> BTW, xkcd 327 is perhaps the first case in which the (very young)
> Winston Churchill anecdote has relevance:
>
> Tutor: What is the vocative of mensa?
> WC: When might I employ the vocative of mensa, Sir?
> Tutor: Why, in addressing a table.
> WC: I do not converse with tables.

Ah but you may one day address Mensa.

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse

Mike Fleming

Feb 14, 2024, 7:44:48 AMFeb 14
On 14/02/2024 08:37, nev young wrote:
> On 13/02/2024 22:08, Mike Spencer wrote:
>>
>> BTW, xkcd 327 is perhaps the first case in which the (very young)
>> Winston Churchill anecdote has relevance:
>>
>> Tutor: What is the vocative of mensa?
>> WC:    When might I employ the vocative of mensa, Sir?
>> Tutor: Why, in addressing a table.
>> WC:    I do not converse with tables.
>>
> Ah but you may one day address Mensa.

Shakespeare should have paid more attention in his Latin lessons and
used the vocative case: "Et te, Brute!"

Nicholas D. Richards

Feb 15, 2024, 5:28:14 AMFeb 15
In article <l33qtt...@mid.individual.net>, Mike Fleming
<mi...@tauzero.co.uk> on Wed, 14 Feb 2024 at 12:44:44 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
I thought he did, the text that I have is: "Et tu, Brute".
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"