ROT 13

shazzbat

Jun 20, 2008, 9:47:50 AM6/20/08
Some funny things do happen don't they? As was noted recently, the word
"wheelybin" becomes jurrylova, which is rather good.

Now I find that the word "nearly" becomes an anagram of itself when ROTted.

Any other fascinating[1] stuff like that?

[1] Admittedly, this may depend on how easily fascinated or how bored you
are at the time.

Steve

®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Jun 20, 2008, 10:10:57 AM6/20/08
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 14:47:50 +0100, "shazzbat"
<shaz...@spamlessness.fsnet.co.uk> wrote and included this (or some
of this):

CHERYL

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Don Stockbauer

Jun 20, 2008, 10:20:52 AM6/20/08
On Jun 20, 9:10 am, ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°² <r...@spamall.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 14:47:50 +0100, "shazzbat"
> <shazz...@spamlessness.fsnet.co.uk> wrote and included this (or some

> of this):
>
> >Some funny things do happen don't they? As was noted recently, the word
> >"wheelybin" becomes jurrylova, which is rather good.
>
> >Now I find that the word "nearly" becomes an anagram of itself when ROTted.
>
> >Any other fascinating[1] stuff like that?
>
> >[1] Admittedly, this may depend on how easily fascinated or how bored you
> >are at the time.
>
> >Steve
>
> CHERYL

scythe becomes chesty

Carl LHS Williams

Jun 20, 2008, 11:36:29 AM6/20/08

Obhtug is a rotogram, too. And fobs.

®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Jun 20, 2008, 12:44:12 PM6/20/08
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 07:20:52 -0700 (PDT), Don Stockbauer
<donsto...@hotmail.com> wrote and included this (or some of this):

>> >Any other fascinating[1] stuff like that?
>>
>> >[1] Admittedly, this may depend on how easily fascinated or how bored you
>> >are at the time.
>>
>> >Steve
>>
>> CHERYL
>>

>scythe becomes chesty

That's not a ROT

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Don Stockbauer

Jun 20, 2008, 2:47:21 PM6/20/08
On Jun 20, 11:44 am, ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°² <r...@spamall.com> wrote:

> >> CHERYL
>
> >scythe becomes chesty
>
> That's not a ROT
>
> --
> ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Who plays by the rules???????

Guy King

Jun 20, 2008, 2:57:27 PM6/20/08
The message <g3gce6$agq$1...@news.datemas.de>
from "shazzbat" <shaz...@spamlessness.fsnet.co.uk> contains these words:

> Some funny things do happen don't they? As was noted recently, the word
> "wheelybin" becomes jurrylova, which is rather good.

Talking of jurrylovas, I see the papers are crowing about some councils
returning to weekly refuse collections.

I'm quite[1] content with rubbish alternating with recycling - even over
Christmas our family of four doesn't fill a wheelybin. My only beef is
with the recycling blokes who throw the boxen off the back of the truck.
I don't use the standard box 'cos it's too big to go in the hole under
the gas meters. So I hfr another sort which break when thrown off a
lorry. So I have to decant it all into carrier bags, which I do not
have.

My /two/ chief beefs...I've been trying for a week to get them to take
my green bin away 'cos we have a compost heap. They promised last Friday
that it'd be gone in five days. Generously I took this to mean five
jbexing days and rang them today to ask why I still had it.
"Hang on, I'll ask the contractors"
<two minute moosick on hold>
"They'll collect it today"
Yeah - right. It's now 8pm and it still graces my front garden.

[1] In the sense of wholly, not partially.

--
Skipweasel

Jim Price

Jun 20, 2008, 3:07:35 PM6/20/08
shazzbat wrote:
> Some funny things do happen don't they? As was noted recently, the word
> "wheelybin" becomes jurrylova, which is rather good.
>
> Now I find that the word "nearly" becomes an anagram of itself when ROTted.
>
> Any other fascinating[1] stuff like that?

From rec.puzzles (google for attribution):
Abjurer is a ROT of nowhere
nag = ant
onyx = balk
pent = crag
snore = faber
vend = iraq
nor = abe
or = be
pyrex = clerk
tang = gnat
vex = irk
nyc = alp
orr = bee
rail = envy
terra = green
one = bar
ova = bin
she = fur
try = gel

Some compounds ones:

argentina = net rag van
barcelona = one pry ban
bushel = oh fury
celebrant = pry roe nag
chapel = pun cry
cheetah = purr gnu
irreverent = veer ire rag
nanking = an ax vat
oblong = boy bat
perjure = crew her
ungent = chat rag
shaven = fun ira
sherry = fur eel
tangent = gnat rag
thank = gun ax
thankful = gun ax shy

tang = gnat
Where not only is one word the rot13 transformation of the other, but
one is the palindrome of the other.

Personally, I refer to ROT13 as EeByGum13.

--
JimP
Copy from one person, its plagarism, copy from lots of people, its

Message has been deleted

Dr Ivan D. Reid

Jun 20, 2008, 3:36:45 PM6/20/08
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 20:07:35 +0100, Jim Price <d1ve...@hotmail.com>
wrote in <g3gv55$733$1...@aioe.org>:

> Personally, I refer to ROT13 as EeByGum13.

Is that how Yorkshiremen take a baker's dozen of filter papers
impregnated with methamphetamine?

--
Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Ivan.Reid@[brunel.ac.uk|cern.ch] Room 40-1-B12, CERN

Jim Price

Jun 20, 2008, 4:02:23 PM6/20/08
Dr Ivan D. Reid wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 20:07:35 +0100, Jim Price <d1ve...@hotmail.com>
> wrote in <g3gv55$733$1...@aioe.org>:
>
>> Personally, I refer to ROT13 as EeByGum13.
>
> Is that how Yorkshiremen take a baker's dozen of filter papers
> impregnated with methamphetamine?

If you do that much, you'd end up looking like this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40006000/jpg/_40006044_eebygum300x220.jpg

--
JimP
Knee dye same ore.

®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Jun 20, 2008, 4:22:53 PM6/20/08
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 11:47:21 -0700 (PDT), Don Stockbauer
<donsto...@hotmail.com> wrote and included this (or some of this):

Who polices the thought police?

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Guy King

Jun 20, 2008, 5:04:59 PM6/20/08
The message <g3h2bt$j0l$1...@aioe.org>
from Jim Price <d1ve...@hotmail.com> contains these words:

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40006000/jpg/_40006044_eebygum300x220.jpg

Rod Hull meets Rod Stewart!

Guy King

Jun 20, 2008, 5:05:41 PM6/20/08
The message <7c4o5457lagh07cgu...@4ax.com>
from ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°² <r...@spamall.com> contains these words:

> Who polices the thought police?

Cor - only this evening while watching Andrew Marr's history programme
Inky said "Quis custodiet..."

Just zis Guy, you know?

Jun 20, 2008, 5:12:48 PM6/20/08
<d1ve...@hotmail.com> said in <g3gv55$733$1...@aioe.org>:

>Personally, I refer to ROT13 as EeByGum13.

And, coinclidentally, Ebagum, the famous Yorkshire dictator, is much
in the news of late

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Frank Erskine

Jun 20, 2008, 5:31:33 PM6/20/08
wrote:

>one = bar

As in electric fire?

--
Frank Erskine
MJBC, OETKBC

Guy King

Jun 20, 2008, 5:58:03 PM6/20/08
The message <lb8o54lj4h5v9d1bf...@4ax.com>
from Frank Erskine <frank....@btinternet.com> contains these words:

> >one = bar

> As in electric fire?

The journounit of power.

®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Jun 21, 2008, 2:58:48 AM6/21/08
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 22:05:41 +0100, Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk>

wrote and included this (or some of this):

>Cor - only this evening while watching Andrew Marr's history programme
>Inky said "Quis custodiet..."

I didn't know that that was a Quis show.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Message has been deleted

nev young

Jun 21, 2008, 8:39:57 AM6/21/08
Guy King wrote:

> My /two/ chief beefs...I've been trying for a week to get them to take
> my green bin away 'cos we have a compost heap. They promised last Friday
> that it'd be gone in five days. Generously I took this to mean five
> jbexing days and rang them today to ask why I still had it.
> "Hang on, I'll ask the contractors"
> <two minute moosick on hold>
> "They'll collect it today"
> Yeah - right. It's now 8pm and it still graces my front garden.

put it inside the grey bin.

Nev

Carl LHS Williams

Jun 21, 2008, 9:50:36 AM6/21/08

Or paint it grey and rent it out to wasteful people.

I considered repainting our green bin, 'cos, apparently,
we're not allowed to put kitchen waste[1] or weeds(!) in it.
Since that only seems to leave the things we're attempting
to grow in various pots scattered around the mostly paved
garden, it seems a bit pointless. Repainted grey, it'd
help with those occasions when we happen not to be in,
for the fortnightly rubbish collection (or forget),
and have to go a month with no rubbish collection.

'Cos woe betide you if you over-fill the grey bin...
one bloke got fined loads for that, he noted that the fine
for fly tipping was somewhat smaller and resolved to
do that next time he missed a rubbish collection.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=144086&in_page_id=34&expand=true
( http://tinyurl.com/6p586q )

(See also http://tinyurl.com/6zjdck and other
frothing from the Daily Mail)

The pathetic recycling box is similarly caught about with
restrictions sufficient to encourage you to avoid
it. It's not clear what's allowed in it, aside from,
I think, glass bottles. Since there's a glass, plastic,
paper and cardboard recycling place within easy walking
distance, I've been hfrvat the recycling box merely
as a temporary storage wossname, I haven't dared put
it out for collection lest I get fined for recycling
the wrong sort of bottle, or some kind of illegal jam
jar or something.

[1] I can see they don't want manky chicken carcases
and bits of old cow and nappies old mobile phones
and whatever else people might throw in if it were
"compost" rather than "garden waste", but at what
point does a spare lettuce wot you''ve grown cease
being garden waste and start being kitchen waste?
Is it only if you bring the grotty & caterpillar
chewed outer leaves in to the kitchen with the rest
of it? And what's a weed? The rationale is sound -
they don't want pernicious weeds growing in the
municipal composter - but many a decorative plant
is far worse than a bit of native british weed -
e.g. rhododendrondrondrons.

Guy King

Jun 21, 2008, 9:59:56 AM6/21/08
The message <g3iso9$k7d$2...@aioe.org>
from nev young <newsforpa...@yahoo.co.uk> contains these words:

If it doesn't go after my next phonecall I shall deliver it to the
council offices' foyer.

Guy King

Jun 21, 2008, 10:14:15 AM6/21/08
The message <g3j0vq$d9d$1...@registered.motzarella.org>
from Carl LHS Williams <ArK7prci...@spambox.us> contains these words:

> [1] I can see they don't want manky chicken carcases
> and bits of old cow and nappies old mobile phones
> and whatever else people might throw in if it were
> "compost" rather than "garden waste", but at what
> point does a spare lettuce wot you''ve grown cease
> being garden waste and start being kitchen waste?
> Is it only if you bring the grotty & caterpillar
> chewed outer leaves in to the kitchen with the rest
> of it? And what's a weed? The rationale is sound -
> they don't want pernicious weeds growing in the
> municipal composter - but many a decorative plant
> is far worse than a bit of native british weed -
> e.g. rhododendrondrondrons.

Bypass the whole problem and feed most organic[1] stuff to the compost
bin. Really all we put in the main bin is plastic wrappings and about
half the catpoo. Plastic bottles get recycled. Paper that's too grotty
to go in the recycler goes in the compost.

[1] Yeah, yeah, I know. I mean "recently alive".

®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Jun 21, 2008, 10:36:35 AM6/21/08
On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 14:50:36 +0100, Carl LHS Williams
<ArK7prci...@spambox.us> wrote and included this (or some of
this):

>And what's a weed? The rationale is sound -

> they don't want pernicious weeds growing in the
> municipal composter - but many a decorative plant
> is far worse than a bit of native british weed -
> e.g. rhododendrondrondrons.

Our orange-top big bin is for anything from your garden, ie grass,
weeds, flowers old tomato plants etc as long as you grew them.

Plus cardboard and card cartons. No kitchen waste, though, which I
take to mean anything greenery that you bought in.

Mind you, if you grow a lettuce, take it into the kitchen and remove
the outer leaves, is that then kitchen waste? I treat it as garden
waste.

Weeds should not be a problem in a decent composter which should
generate sufficient heat to inactivate them and their seeds. They
don't mind 2" thick branches off of trees nor neither.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

tersono

Jun 21, 2008, 11:47:55 AM6/21/08
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 20:07:35 +0100, Jim Price <d1ve...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

<big snip>

>Copy from one person, its plagarism, copy from lots of people, its
>research. Can't remember who I copied that from.

UR Raj Persaud AICM5zu
--
Only three people have ever understood the Schleswig-Holstein problem
One's dead, one's gone mad, and I've forgotten.

Dr Ivan D. Reid

Jun 21, 2008, 12:46:34 PM6/21/08
On 20 Jun 2008 15:48:31 GMT, Huge <Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid>
wrote in <g3gjgf$8g0$1...@anubis.demon.co.uk>:
> [...]

>>> CHERYL

>> scythe becomes chesty

> rot13 < /usr/share/lib/dict/words | more

Having subjected my word list (ukacd17.txt) to this awk script:

{ gsub("[,! '-?]",""); $0=tolower($0); gsub("ņ","n"); gsub("[éčÉęë]","e");
gsub("[áāâåÅĀã]","a"); gsub("[ôóōø]","o"); gsub("[íėîïÎ]","i");
gsub("į","c"); gsub("[úųû]","u"); gsub("[üÜ]","ue"); gsub("[öÖ]","oe");
gsub("ä","ae"); print;
}

to give nwsp.txt I then created a command file with:

BEGIN {from="abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz";
to="nopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklm";
for(i=1; i<=26; ++i) { tr[substr(from,i,1)]=substr(to,i,1)}
}
{ l=length($0); a="";
for (i=1; i<=l; ++i) { a = a tr[substr($0,i,1)];}
print "grep '^" a "$' nwsp.txt";
}

which produced this list (after wrapping):

n no non noon nor nowhere nob nu nun na nan nana navy naan nag ne nene neo
neon nep near o on ono onyx one oner ones oneer or orne orra ort orff ova
ob obo oban oho p pnyx pry pun puny pur purpura purs pure purer purely
pyrex pent pening penk perry pho phon q r roo roof ra raf rail re ren res
ret rex rear ree reef ref rin s sneb sync sen sent serr serre sel shool
shat she sheel t try trez tref tung tyrol tane tang tbar tenny tens terra
tehr tho the thea u un una ur ure urea uva v vena vend vex vina vibe w
what when whir x y z a an anna ant ana anan anil ar arne arar arb arba arc
ab abo aba abba abe abjurer ah aha b bo bona bob bub ba bar barre bare
barf bab balk be bess bear been beg bin c cravat crax crag creel cub cuba
calk cel cha chal che cher cheryl chere chechen chef clerk d e en ens envy
er erne err errs ers era erf erg erk eva ebb ebbs f fry fra frag free
freer fung fur furry fubby faro flap g gnar gnat gone grue graal graf
green gur gurn gub gers germ gel ghat gleby h ha han he her hern hin i
iran iraq irk ivor ivan j jung jura juve k l m

which, inter alia, showed that the word list contained all the individual
letters of the alphabet...

Reassuringly, 'sort <rotted.worms | r13 | diff - rotted.worms'
produces no output.

I didn't realise I was the ROT -- and anagram -- of "an Indian
stringed instrument with fretted fingerboard over two gourds" (Chambers).

Jim Price

Jun 21, 2008, 12:52:51 PM6/21/08
tersono wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 20:07:35 +0100, Jim Price <d1ve...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> <big snip>
>
>> Copy from one person, its plagarism, copy from lots of people, its
>> research. Can't remember who I copied that from.
>
> UR Raj Persaud AICM5zu

I'll be pseud if I'm paying that!

--
JimP
I used to be an ankle biter. Now I'm a sig knee chewer.

Carl LHS Williams

Jun 21, 2008, 1:59:35 PM6/21/08

The only problem there is that we have a mostly paved
"garden" and no compost bin. Though SWLB has been
going broody over them recently. I guess we could convert
the green wheelie bin. 'Course, if we don't unforget
the collection one of these weeks, it'll convert itself...

Fortunately, we don't have catpoo, and I don't wanna know wot
happens to the other half...

Guy King

Jun 21, 2008, 2:23:04 PM6/21/08
The message <g3jfik$qiq$1...@registered.motzarella.org>

from Carl LHS Williams <ArK7prci...@spambox.us> contains these words:

> The only problem there is that we have a mostly paved

> "garden" and no compost bin. Though SWLB has been
> going broody over them recently. I guess we could convert
> the green wheelie bin. 'Course, if we don't unforget
> the collection one of these weeks, it'll convert itself...

Just lift a paving slab and park the compost bin on the hole.

Steve O'Hara-Smith

Jun 21, 2008, 3:59:41 AM6/21/08
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 19:36:45 +0000 (UTC)
"Dr Ivan D. Reid" <Ivan...@brunel.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 20:07:35 +0100, Jim Price <d1ve...@hotmail.com>
> wrote in <g3gv55$733$1...@aioe.org>:
>
> > Personally, I refer to ROT13 as EeByGum13.
>
> Is that how Yorkshiremen take a baker's dozen of filter papers
> impregnated with methamphetamine?

I thought E was supposed to be MDMA not just methamphetamine,
although what gets sold in nightclubs could be almost anything I suppose.

--
C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
| http://www.sohara.org/

Carl LHS Williams

Jun 21, 2008, 4:34:00 PM6/21/08
Dr Ivan D. Reid wrote:

[snip awk word munger]

> n no non noon nor nowhere nob nu nun na nan nana navy naan nag ne nene neo
> neon nep near o on ono onyx one oner ones oneer or orne orra ort orff ova
> ob obo oban oho p pnyx pry pun puny pur purpura purs pure purer purely
> pyrex pent pening penk perry pho phon q r roo roof ra raf rail re ren res
> ret rex rear ree reef ref rin s sneb sync sen sent serr serre sel shool
> shat she sheel t try trez tref tung tyrol tane tang tbar tenny tens terra
> tehr tho the thea u un una ur ure urea uva v vena vend vex vina vibe w
> what when whir x y z a an anna ant ana anan anil ar arne arar arb arba arc
> ab abo aba abba abe abjurer ah aha b bo bona bob bub ba bar barre bare
> barf bab balk be bess bear been beg bin c cravat crax crag creel cub cuba
> calk cel cha chal che cher cheryl chere chechen chef clerk d e en ens envy
> er erne err errs ers era erf erg erk eva ebb ebbs f fry fra frag free
> freer fung fur furry fubby faro flap g gnar gnat gone grue graal graf
> green gur gurn gub gers germ gel ghat gleby h ha han he her hern hin i
> iran iraq irk ivor ivan j jung jura juve k l m

I'm not convinced that 'n' is a proper word. Or 'graal' or 'tenny' for
that matter. What's 'tenny'? The quality of being a bit like ten?

And I suppose 'n' is as in Fish'n'Chips ?

What with having to strip all those accented characters out, I
suspect your word list of failing its British citizenship test.

Also as well, wot with brute force being freely available,
I just did this hfrvat yer bash shell:

rot13 </usr/share/dict/words | while read w ; do
grep "^$w$" /usr/share/dict/words ; done | tee rottedwords.txt

Funny, mine's got 'n' in it taaw. But not "abba", apparently.

Took it a while, mind - I suspect my rot13 isn't the most
efficient of all rot13s, being a 30 second need-a-rot13
jobbie involving getc() and putc() (thobut not awk).

I got:

N n non nowhere nu nun nub na Nan nan nana navy naa nag ne neon
nep nea nib O o on onyx Ona ona Onan one oner or orna orphan ort
ory ora ore orf ova ovey obe oh oho P p pun puny pung pur purr
purre purrel pub pyrex pent pern perry pho Q q qubba R r ra rail
re ret rear ree ref S s snag sneb sync sen serra serve sh sho
shool sha shag she T t try tra trag trah tref tung turr tane tang
ten teng terral tee thy tha than thaw the they thee U u un ur ura
ure urea uva V v vat Vend vex viva W w whar X x Y y yn Z z A a an
ann ant Ana ana anan anil ar arn arba arc avo aba abjurer ah aho
aha B b bor bu bub ba Ban ban Bana bar bare balk be ben ber bes
bean becuna beg bel bin birl C c crag crea creel cub cho cha chat
chal che chee cheer cheery clerk D d dhoon E e en envy er erne
err ers erg F f fra freen freir fu fun funt fur fub fubby fant
faro flap G g gnar gnat grr gra grat greeny gun guna gunj gur
gurr gurl gul gen gent genu gers gel ghat ghee H h ha he hen her
hern hin I i ing Iraq irk ivin J j june K k L l la M m

I don't see that K, L, M etc are "words" in any meaningful sense,
feck knows what they're doing in the dict.

Iraq is a good 'un... tho my dict doesn't offer Iran (more likely
it doesn't offer "vena", actually)

To list "perfect rots" or self-anagramming rots, I resorted
to a snatch o' the auld C:

#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
int lf[26],i,c,sum;
char buf[512],*p;

for(i=0;i<26;i++)lf[i]=0;

while(fgets(buf,511,stdin))
{
for(p=buf;c=(*p)&223;p++)
{
if((c>='A')&&(c<='Z'))
lf[c-'A']++,c+=(c>'M')?-13:13,lf[c-'A']--;
}
for(i=0,sum=0;i<26;i++){sum+=(lf[i]!=0);lf[i]=0;}
if(!sum)fputs(buf,stdout);
}
return(0);
}

And came up with this list from my /usr/share/dict/words:

an anan anerly Anna anna argent argenter averin baboon banovina
betrough bo bobo Boer boob bore borean bought earn earner
emblazonry er flushy forebush gant garnet garneter garten gnat
gorbet grivet Hu huer hure hurley intergrave Ivan livery ly
lyre na Nahuan Nana nana naught navigant nearly oban parcener
paunch perruche prance rane Ranere ravine re rebore regret
reiver rely reprobance rerobe rive robe serf Tang tang
tangantangan tanger tangly thug unpreach vaginant vain vainly
Vannai veri verily vier vina vintager vire Viverrinae

(That was rather a lot quicker to arrive at)

I was very impressed with "emblazonry" - not only a perfect
rot, but a good scrabble score too... And I wonder if Hurley
knows she's a perfect rot? And not just "bought" but "earn"
and "earner" too... "Forebush" is a ice evocative word, innit?

And WTF is a "tangantangan" ?

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Carl LHS Williams

Jun 21, 2008, 6:07:49 PM6/21/08
I writ:

> To list "perfect rots" or self-anagramming rots, I resorted
> to a snatch o' the auld C:
>
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> int main(int argc, char **argv)
> {
> int lf[26],i,c,sum;
> char buf[512],*p;
>
> for(i=0;i<26;i++)lf[i]=0;
>
> while(fgets(buf,511,stdin))
> {
> for(p=buf;c=(*p)&223;p++)
> {
> if((c>='A')&&(c<='Z'))
> lf[c-'A']++,c+=(c>'M')?-13:13,lf[c-'A']--;
> }
> for(i=0,sum=0;i<26;i++){sum+=(lf[i]!=0);lf[i]=0;}
> if(!sum)fputs(buf,stdout);
> }
> return(0);
> }

Ackshirly that's a bit longwinded. There's prolly some cunninger
approach than counting each letter then uncounting each rotted
letter, as 'twere, then checking for zero in total, but the
above can be made smaller and harder to understand (a primary
goal in all sorts of programming) just by tidying up excess
a bit. Like the wasteful non re-hfr of variables wot yer've
finished with, f'rexample.

#include <stdio.h>

int main(int c, char **argv)
{
int f[26],i;
char buf[512],*p;

for(i=0;i<26;f[i++]=0);

while(fgets(p=buf,511,stdin))
{
while(c=(*p++)&223)

{
if((c>='A')&&(c<='Z'))

f[c-'A']++,c+=(c>'M')?-13:13,f[c-'A']--;
}
for(i=c=0;i<26;f[i++]=0)c|=f[i];
if(!c)fputs(buf,stdout);
}
return(0);
}

Carlton Miniott

Jun 21, 2008, 6:13:26 PM6/21/08
Costing the net hundreds if not thousands of dollars, Carl LHS Williams
said:

> I writ:
>
> > To list "perfect rots" or self-anagramming rots, I resorted
> > to a snatch o' the auld C:
[...]

> Ackshirly that's a bit longwinded.
[...]

Given that Perl can ROT any string in a single op (written if not
executed) I suspect it can detect pROTs more elegantly (written, at
least) aslo - however I don't care to attempt the coding.
I'll guess somebody somewhere has a Perl function that orders a string
alphabetically, which would likely let you do the whole thing in one
statement.

--
teh internets is populated by eggshells armed with hammers

Dr Ivan D. Reid

Jun 21, 2008, 6:55:21 PM6/21/08
On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 22:16:06 +0100, Sn!pe <sn...@spambin.fsnet.co.uk>
wrote in <1iiwoe6.p5dbwe1e40inzN%sn...@spambin.fsnet.co.uk>:

> Dr Ivan D. Reid <Ivan...@brunel.ac.uk> wrote:

>> I didn't realise I was the ROT -- and anagram -- of "an Indian
>> stringed instrument with fretted fingerboard over two gourds" (Chambers).

> Agranams are good.

In today's Grauniad they clepe "Ivan the Terrible" as "Ivan Grozny",
leaving me to wonder if that was the translation or his familial name.

Ah, wiki sez it's a translation; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grozny

I'm tempted to change my .sig. Our OIC in Antarctica tried to
bestow on me the nickname of "Terrible", but he was only partially
successful.

Carl LHS Williams

Jun 21, 2008, 7:46:04 PM6/21/08

Yes, yes, OK, something like:

while(<STDIN>){
$o=$_;$_=lc;$s=join('',sort(split//));
tr/n-za-m/a-mn-z/;$r=join('',sort(split //));
($s eq $r) and print $o;}

...only in one (rather long) line, obviously.

But (a) I don't really know perl and
(b) where's the fun in that, eh?, and
(c) It's loads slower [2] and
(d) it's far more unintelligible - oh hangon, that's a point
in its favour and
(e) if you count the perl interpreter, it's huge, and
(f) and...
(g) and...
(h) and...

and *ninethly*, I bet somewhere in the SETI mailbox is an
email from someone saying "Ah but you can do that in one line of
perl".

[2] I rest my case:

Shiny:~/src carl$ time ./pr </usr/share/dict/words >perfectrot_1.txt

real 0m0.052s
user 0m0.043s
sys 0m0.008s

Shiny:~/src carl$ time ./pr.pl </usr/share/dict/words >perfectrot_1.txt

real 0m4.287s
user 0m4.254s
sys 0m0.016s

(Feck me that's quick. I'm guessing all two hundred and something
thousand words are lurking in a buffer somewhere.)

Carl LHS Williams

Jun 21, 2008, 8:07:10 PM6/21/08
I writ:

> while(<STDIN>){
> $o=$_;$_=lc;$s=join('',sort(split//));
> tr/n-za-m/a-mn-z/;$r=join('',sort(split //));
> ($s eq $r) and print $o;}

But obviously that tr containeth un-necessary wossname,
and I meant:

while(<STDIN>){$o=$_;$_=lc;$s=join('',sort(split

//));tr/n-za-m/a-z/;$r=join('',sort(split //));($s eq $r) and print $o;}

An important distinction, innit. I'm sure a proper perl programmer
could reduce that to thirty bytes which are indistinguishable from
line noise, using cunning string operators and so on.

'Course *now* I realise there's a "tr" command available
as part of yer unix toolkit TAAW, and I needn't have written a
rot13 in c or owt, last time I did. I could have just defined
a shell function to do:

tr /a-zA-Z/ /n-za-mN-ZA-M/a-zA-Z/

I've lost track of the number of times I've written some
utility or other only to discover some other hooter has
not only done it already (which is unsurprising) but
sneaked a general-purpose form of it onto me pooter under
a name cunningly designed to be just too obscure to guess,
but just obvious enough to have me kicking myself.

Andy Burns

Jun 22, 2008, 4:27:07 AM6/22/08
On 22/06/2008 00:46, Carl LHS Williams wrote:

> it's far more unintelligible

's wot perl does innit?

shazzbat

Jun 22, 2008, 4:53:37 AM6/22/08

"Dr Ivan D. Reid" <Ivan...@brunel.ac.uk> wrote in message

> On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 22:16:06 +0100, Sn!pe <sn...@spambin.fsnet.co.uk>
> wrote in <1iiwoe6.p5dbwe1e40inzN%sn...@spambin.fsnet.co.uk>:
>> Dr Ivan D. Reid <Ivan...@brunel.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>> I didn't realise I was the ROT -- and anagram -- of "an Indian
>>> stringed instrument with fretted fingerboard over two gourds"
>>> (Chambers).
>
>> Agranams are good.
>
> In today's Grauniad they clepe "Ivan the Terrible" as "Ivan Grozny",
> leaving me to wonder if that was the translation or his familial name.
>
> Ah, wiki sez it's a translation; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grozny
>
> I'm tempted to change my .sig. Our OIC in Antarctica tried to
> bestow on me the nickname of "Terrible", but he was only partially
> successful.

Yebbut, which would you rather be, Ivan the terrible, or Ivan the a bit
iffy?

Steve

Lister

Jun 22, 2008, 6:20:25 AM6/22/08
On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 21:34:00 +0100, Carl LHS Williams
<ArK7prci...@spambox.us> wrote:

>I'm not convinced that 'n' is a proper word. Or 'graal' or 'tenny' for
>that matter. What's 'tenny'? The quality of being a bit like ten?
>
>And I suppose 'n' is as in Fish'n'Chips ?

Big, hairy walloper 'n' baw sack </CTF>

Lister

Jun 22, 2008, 6:21:27 AM6/22/08
On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 22:16:07 +0100, sn...@spambin.fsnet.co.uk (Sn!pe)
wrote:

>Carl LHS Williams <ArK7prci...@spambox.us> wrote:
>

>> And WTF is a "tangantangan" ?
>

>It's tangetial to the circumference of an orang-utan.

OOK

Dr Ivan D. Reid

Jun 22, 2008, 7:35:29 AM6/22/08
On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 01:07:10 +0100, Carl LHS Williams
<ArK7prci...@spambox.us>
wrote in <g3k53t$ebi$1...@registered.motzarella.org>:

> a name cunningly designed to be just too obscure to guess,
> but just obvious enough to have me kicking myself.

You do know how biff got its name? or fctsc? (The latter doesn't
seem to be in general distribution. Hint: it's a lint-alike.)

Dr Ivan D. Reid

Jun 22, 2008, 7:41:02 AM6/22/08
wrote in <g3jok7$3a4$1...@registered.motzarella.org>:

> Dr Ivan D. Reid wrote:

>> n no non noon nor nowhere nob nu nun na nan nana navy naan nag ne nene neo
>> neon nep near o on ono onyx one oner ones oneer or orne orra ort orff ova
>> ob obo oban oho p pnyx pry pun puny pur purpura purs pure purer purely
>> pyrex pent pening penk perry pho phon q r roo roof ra raf rail re ren res
>> ret rex rear ree reef ref rin s sneb sync sen sent serr serre sel shool
>> shat she sheel t try trez tref tung tyrol tane tang tbar tenny tens terra
>> tehr tho the thea u un una ur ure urea uva v vena vend vex vina vibe w
>> what when whir x y z a an anna ant ana anan anil ar arne arar arb arba arc
>> ab abo aba abba abe abjurer ah aha b bo bona bob bub ba bar barre bare
>> barf bab balk be bess bear been beg bin c cravat crax crag creel cub cuba
>> calk cel cha chal che cher cheryl chere chechen chef clerk d e en ens envy
>> er erne err errs ers era erf erg erk eva ebb ebbs f fry fra frag free
>> freer fung fur furry fubby faro flap g gnar gnat gone grue graal graf
>> green gur gurn gub gers germ gel ghat gleby h ha han he her hern hin i
>> iran iraq irk ivor ivan j jung jura juve k l m

> I'm not convinced that 'n' is a proper word. Or 'graal' or 'tenny' for
> that matter. What's 'tenny'? The quality of being a bit like ten?

grail or (archaic) _graal_ or grayle
n (often holy grail or Holy Grail) in medieval legend, the platter
(sometimes supposed to be a cup) used by Christ at the Last Supper, in
which Joseph of Arimathaea caught his blood at the Cross, said to have
been brought by Joseph to Glastonbury, and the object of quests by King
Arthur's Knights; a cherished ambition or goal.
[OFr graal or grael a flat dish, from LL grad\-alis a flat dish,
ult from Gr kr\-at\-er a bowl]

tenné (heraldry)
adj and n (of) an orange-brown colour (also _tenny_).
[Obs Fr; cf tawny]

-- both Chambers

bobharvey

Jun 22, 2008, 11:31:11 AM6/22/08
On 22 Jun, 09:53, "shazzbat" <shazz...@spamlessness.fsnet.co.uk>
wrote:

> Yebbut, which would you rather be, Ivan the terrible, or Ivan the a bit
> iffy?

IRTA sniffy, or perhaps Whiffy

Dr Ivan D. Reid

Jun 22, 2008, 12:56:47 PM6/22/08
On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:53:37 +0100, shazzbat <shaz...@spamlessness.fsnet.co.uk>
wrote in <g3l3uh$6p5$1...@inews.gazeta.pl>:

> "Dr Ivan D. Reid" <Ivan...@brunel.ac.uk> wrote in message

>> I'm tempted to change my .sig. Our OIC in Antarctica tried to

>> bestow on me the nickname of "Terrible", but he was only partially
>> successful.

> Yebbut, which would you rather be, Ivan the terrible, or Ivan the a bit
> iffy?

Is Ivan the kind and considerate lover not one of the options?

Jim Price

Jun 22, 2008, 1:26:07 PM6/22/08
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 20:07:35 +0100, Jim Price
> <d1ve...@hotmail.com> said in <g3gv55$733$1...@aioe.org>:

>> Personally, I refer to ROT13 as EeByGum13.
>
> And, coinclidentally, Ebagum, the famous Yorkshire dictator, is much
> in the news of late

For a minute there I gooved you might be referring to Fpnetvyy taking
leave of his union (inna shed-obit sorta way). Then the Zc dropped.

In udder arjf, I suppose we didn't get a shed obit for Syd Charisse as
it might have been a bit difficult to to avoid a leggy doublon tundra.

--
JimP
Lembit Optik - the man who invented the drink dispenser which

Guy King

Jun 22, 2008, 12:32:32 PM6/22/08
The message <g3k3sb$d77$1...@registered.motzarella.org>

from Carl LHS Williams <ArK7prci...@spambox.us> contains these words:

> and *ninethly*,

Ah, the shed. Some days it's just too good.

Message has been deleted

Lizz Holmans

Jun 22, 2008, 2:53:22 PM6/22/08
On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 16:56:47 +0000 (UTC), "Dr Ivan D. Reid"
<Ivan...@brunel.ac.uk> wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:53:37 +0100, shazzbat <shaz...@spamlessness.fsnet.co.uk>
> wrote in <g3l3uh$6p5$1...@inews.gazeta.pl>:
>> "Dr Ivan D. Reid" <Ivan...@brunel.ac.uk> wrote in message
>
>>> I'm tempted to change my .sig. Our OIC in Antarctica tried to
>>> bestow on me the nickname of "Terrible", but he was only partially
>>> successful.
>
>> Yebbut, which would you rather be, Ivan the terrible, or Ivan the a bit
>> iffy?
>
> Is Ivan the kind and considerate lover not one of the options?

Depends, Are you famous?

LizzH.
--

Well, it certainly may be necessary that a woman should shoot a man-- especially in Oregon. Anthony Trollope, _The Way We Live Now

Carl LHS Williams

Jun 22, 2008, 7:55:20 PM6/22/08
Lizz Holmans wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 16:56:47 +0000 (UTC), "Dr Ivan D. Reid"
> <Ivan...@brunel.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:53:37 +0100, shazzbat <shaz...@spamlessness.fsnet.co.uk>
>> wrote in <g3l3uh$6p5$1...@inews.gazeta.pl>:
>>> "Dr Ivan D. Reid" <Ivan...@brunel.ac.uk> wrote in message
>>> Yebbut, which would you rather be, Ivan the terrible, or Ivan the a bit
>>> iffy?
>> Is Ivan the kind and considerate lover not one of the options?
>
> Depends, Are you famous?

(heh!)

But... are you *sure* that's a good idea? I mean,
aren't *famous* people more likely to, y'know, have caught
something from some wannabe 18 year old starlet or something?
Though, granted, that Johnny Depp and whatisiface, that other
one, Orlando Bloom, and that Winona Ryder, Melissa Etheridge...
I mean they're pretty easy on the eye, and have a certain
allure... but there are so very many attractive people,
surely "famous" isn't much help? Aren't the famous ones simply
more likely to be self-obsessed or messed-up?

Lizz Holmans

Jun 22, 2008, 8:55:05 PM6/22/08
On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 00:55:20 +0100, Carl LHS Williams
<ArK7prci...@spambox.us> wrote:

>But... are you *sure* that's a good idea? I mean,
>aren't *famous* people more likely to, y'know, have caught
>something from some wannabe 18 year old starlet or something?
>Though, granted, that Johnny Depp and whatisiface, that other
>one, Orlando Bloom, and that Winona Ryder, Melissa Etheridge...
>I mean they're pretty easy on the eye, and have a certain
>allure... but there are so very many attractive people,
>surely "famous" isn't much help? Aren't the famous ones simply
>more likely to be self-obsessed or messed-up?

We're not planning to *marry* them, for crissake. It's just that if
either of us actually can attract a Famous Person enough (a doubtful
proposition in and of itself, as I am nearly spherical and RSG, while
not looking like a horsefaced thug, is turning 50 next month), then it
would be criminal to say 'no', innit?

Of course, then sie has to come straight home and tell the other one
all about it.

Bu, naq fnsr frk znggref. V qba'g guebj zlfrys bss cresrpgyl tbbq
nvecynarf, naq V jbhyqa'g unir frk jvgu fbzrbar jvgubhg xabjvat uvf
frkhny uvfgbel naq hfvat n pbaqbz (tbg gb or n uvz, nf V nz ubcryrffyl
urgrebfrkhny. Rkprcg znlor Kate Winslett).

Guy King

Jun 22, 2008, 9:15:17 PM6/22/08
The message <jnst54p758outkgtk...@4ax.com>
from Lizz Holmans <di...@jackalope.demon.co.uk> contains these words:

> We're not planning to *marry* them, for crissake. It's just that if
> either of us actually can attract a Famous Person enough (a doubtful
> proposition in and of itself, as I am nearly spherical and RSG, while
> not looking like a horsefaced thug, is turning 50 next month), then it
> would be criminal to say 'no', innit?

I'd probably die of surprise long before I could perform, should someone
else find me sexually attractive. Squid and I have both long realised
that no one else would have either of us and are happy that way.

Don Stockbauer

Jun 22, 2008, 9:59:26 PM6/22/08
On Jun 22, 7:15 pm, Guy King <guy.k...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
> The message <jnst54p758outkgtkjl3oeql0at94vs...@4ax.com>

> from Lizz Holmans <di...@jackalope.demon.co.uk> contains these words:
>
> > We're not planning to *marry* them, for crissake. It's just that if
> > either of us actually can attract a Famous Person enough (a doubtful
> > proposition in and of itself, as I am nearly spherical and RSG, while
> > not looking like a horsefaced thug, is turning 50 next month), then it
> > would be criminal to say 'no', innit?
>
> I'd probably die of surprise long before I could perform, should someone
> else find me sexually attractive. Squid and I have both long realised
> that no one else would have either of us and are happy that way.

Sounds like a good arrangement.

Carl LHS Williams

Jun 22, 2008, 10:37:24 PM6/22/08
Lizz Holmans wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 00:55:20 +0100, Carl LHS Williams
> <ArK7prci...@spambox.us> wrote:
>

>> But... are you *sure* that's a good idea? I mean,
>> aren't *famous* people more likely to, y'know, have caught
>> something from some wannabe 18 year old starlet or something?
>> Though, granted, that Johnny Depp and whatisiface, that other
>> one, Orlando Bloom, and that Winona Ryder, Melissa Etheridge...
>> I mean they're pretty easy on the eye, and have a certain
>> allure... but there are so very many attractive people,
>> surely "famous" isn't much help? Aren't the famous ones simply
>> more likely to be self-obsessed or messed-up?
>
> We're not planning to *marry* them, for crissake. It's just that if
> either of us actually can attract a Famous Person enough (a doubtful
> proposition in and of itself, as I am nearly spherical and RSG, while
> not looking like a horsefaced thug, is turning 50 next month), then it
> would be criminal to say 'no', innit?
>
> Of course, then sie has to come straight home and tell the other one
> all about it.
>
> Bu, naq fnsr frk znggref. V qba'g guebj zlfrys bss cresrpgyl tbbq
> nvecynarf, naq V jbhyqa'g unir frk jvgu fbzrbar jvgubhg xabjvat uvf
> frkhny uvfgbel naq hfvat n pbaqbz (tbg gb or n uvz, nf V nz ubcryrffyl
> urgrebfrkhny. Rkprcg znlor Kate Winslett).

Oh her, yes, I just googled her and found a picture of her
starkers, and unforgot it was her in "Holy Smoke". Hhmm, well, as
you say, it'd be rude to say no, granted. That German woman
in that "Lexx" sci-fi series, (Eva Habermann) is she famous
enough to count as fair game? 'Cos I'd certainly be tempted
by her. Mind you, that goth bloke in the same thing is a bit
tasty, too. (Michael McManus).

Lizz Holmans

Jun 22, 2008, 10:56:08 PM6/22/08

They wouldn't work for us cos we've never heard of them, and we have
to agree beforehand about the famousness level. But if it works for
you...well, I'm not your mom.

RSG likes Amanda Redmond. I like David Tennant, Sean Bean, and George
Eads of 'CSI:Las Vegas', plus a whole lot of other pretty boys. I used
to quite fancy Rupert Everett but since I found out 1)he gossips, and
2) he's not half as clever as I thought, he's out. Yes, I know he
rides the other bus, but I don't care. All I want is a bit in a taxi.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Dr Ivan D. Reid

Jun 23, 2008, 7:32:43 AM6/23/08
On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 19:53:22 +0100, Lizz Holmans <di...@jackalope.demon.co.uk>
wrote in <pr7t54tvnhkbqndd5...@4ax.com>:

> On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 16:56:47 +0000 (UTC), "Dr Ivan D. Reid"
><Ivan...@brunel.ac.uk> wrote:

>>On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:53:37 +0100, shazzbat
<shaz...@spamlessness.fsnet.co.uk>
>> wrote in <g3l3uh$6p5$1...@inews.gazeta.pl>:
>>> "Dr Ivan D. Reid" <Ivan...@brunel.ac.uk> wrote in message

>>> Yebbut, which would you rather be, Ivan the terrible, or Ivan the a bit
>>> iffy?

>> Is Ivan the kind and considerate lover not one of the options?

> Depends, Are you famous?

Only in small circles.

Esra Sdrawkcab

Jun 23, 2008, 8:00:52 AM6/23/08
Huge wrote:

> On 2008-06-22, Carl LHS Williams <ArK7prci...@spambox.us> wrote:
>
>> I've lost track of the number of times I've written some
>> utility or other only to discover some other hooter has
>> not only done it already (which is unsurprising) but
>> sneaked a general-purpose form of it onto me pooter under
>> a name cunningly designed to be just too obscure to guess,
>> but just obvious enough to have me kicking myself.
>
> comm
>
> The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be
> ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces
> three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines
> only in file2; and lines in both files.

BTDTGTTS

Carl LHS Williams

Jun 23, 2008, 11:26:38 AM6/23/08
Sn!pe wrote:
> Carl LHS Williams <ArK7prci...@spambox.us> wrote:

[snip]

>> by her. Mind you, that goth bloke in the same thing is a bit
>> tasty, too. (Michael McManus).

> instead: "Iron Man" Steve Logan versus "The Man You Love To Hate"
> Mick McManus.

I don't think it's the same one? At least, I hope... nah,
it can't be...

Carl LHS Williams

Jun 23, 2008, 11:29:03 AM6/23/08
Huge wrote:

> On 2008-06-22, Carl LHS Williams <ArK7prci...@spambox.us> wrote:
>
>> I've lost track of the number of times I've written some
>> utility or other only to discover some other hooter has
>> not only done it already (which is unsurprising) but
>> sneaked a general-purpose form of it onto me pooter under
>> a name cunningly designed to be just too obscure to guess,
>> but just obvious enough to have me kicking myself.
>
> comm
>
> The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be
> ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces
> three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines
> only in file2; and lines in both files.

Ooh, yes, exactly that sort of thing.

your sig quote seems somehow well-tuned to the content here:

Richard Robinson

Jun 23, 2008, 11:47:06 AM6/23/08

He was the big one that was always the Baddy ?

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://www.qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Carl LHS Williams

Jun 23, 2008, 2:43:38 PM6/23/08
Huge wrote:
> On 2008-06-22, Carl LHS Williams <ArK7prci...@spambox.us> wrote:
>
>> I've lost track of the number of times I've written some
>> utility or other only to discover some other hooter has
>> not only done it already (which is unsurprising) but
>> sneaked a general-purpose form of it onto me pooter under
>> a name cunningly designed to be just too obscure to guess,
>> but just obvious enough to have me kicking myself.
>
> comm
>
> The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be
> ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces
> three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines
> only in file2; and lines in both files.

Right, so, for words-which-are-words-when-rotted:

tr /a-zA-Z/ /n-za-mN-ZA-M/a-za-z/ </usr/share/dict/words | sort | comm
-1 -2 - /usr/share/dict/words

Ho yus, that's *somewhat* faster :-)

Half a second, against 28 minutes for the rot13 | while read | grep
approach...

Is it just me who's still just a little staggered by any kind
of search through 250,000 words fetched out of a file taking
half a second? Or, in the case of the rots-which-are-anagrams
C proggie I posted before, fifty milliseconds(!)?

I'm beginning to wonder if the progs which slow down modern
computers might be written mostly in an interpreted language,
interpreted using an interpreter written in an interpreted
language, running on an emulated processor.

But of course that would be silly...

Carl LHS Williams

Jun 23, 2008, 3:11:22 PM6/23/08
Richard Robinson wrote:
> Carl LHS Williams said:
>> Sn!pe wrote:
>>> Carl LHS Williams <ArK7prci...@spambox.us> wrote:
>>>
>> [snip]

>>> instead: "Iron Man" Steve Logan versus "The Man You Love To Hate"
>>> Mick McManus.
>> I don't think it's the same one? At least, I hope... nah,
>> it can't be...
>
> He was the big one that was always the Baddy ?

Not this one, then?

http://www.lexxdomain.com/img/kai2.jpg

Message has been deleted

Carl LHS Williams

Jun 23, 2008, 3:29:50 PM6/23/08
> BWAHAHAHAHA! Just a bit different from the real one!
>
> <http://preview.tinyurl.com/5fl9fb>
> <http://www.wrestlingfurnace.com/galleries/m/mcmanus/mcmanus.htm>

Blimey, nah, I don't goov I'd go for that 'un...

Guy King

Jun 23, 2008, 3:29:48 PM6/23/08
The message <1ij087a.fhr0ajprk8evN%sn...@spambin.fsnet.co.uk>
from sn...@spambin.fsnet.co.uk (Sn!pe) contains these words:

> <http://preview.tinyurl.com/5fl9fb>
> <http://www.wrestlingfurnace.com/galleries/m/mcmanus/mcmanus.htm>

I used to like the wrestling. It had about the right amount of
razzamataz without being over the top.

Of course, if some arse tried to bring it back today (and it won't be
long) it'd be so shiny and commentator-centred it'd not be worth
watching. Though with hindsight perhaps it never was.

Carlton Miniott

Jun 23, 2008, 4:20:45 PM6/23/08
said:

> Huge wrote:
> > On 2008-06-22, Carl LHS Williams <ArK7prci...@spambox.us> wrote:
> >
> >> I've lost track of the number of times I've written some
> >> utility or other only to discover some other hooter has
> >> not only done it already (which is unsurprising) but
> >> sneaked a general-purpose form of it onto me pooter under
> >> a name cunningly designed to be just too obscure to guess,
> >> but just obvious enough to have me kicking myself.
> >
> > comm
> >
> > The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be
> > ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces
> > three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines
> > only in file2; and lines in both files.
> >

> Ooh, yes, exactly that sort of thing.

It's a bit like the OpenGL graphics library being installed on Windows
but never mentioned. Is it still there in Vista, anybody know?
--
teh internets is populated by eggshells armed with hammers

Carlton Miniott

Jun 23, 2008, 4:23:05 PM6/23/08
said:

> I'm beginning to wonder if the progs which slow down modern
> computers might be written mostly in an interpreted language,
> interpreted using an interpreter written in an interpreted
> language, running on an emulated processor.
>
> But of course that would be silly...

Mostly it's due to the bloat for fancy graphics you didn't want and
dealing with edge cases you don't care about and and and ...

Andy Burns

Jun 23, 2008, 4:31:38 PM6/23/08
On 23/06/2008 21:20, Carlton Miniott wrote:

> It's a bit like the OpenGL graphics library being installed on Windows
> but never mentioned. Is it still there in Vista, anybody know?

It was going to get the chop due to clashing with the shiny arj
aeroglass interface, but in the end I goove it survived - fire up Quake3
and find out ...

Guy King

Jun 23, 2008, 4:53:51 PM6/23/08
The message <MPG.22ca15f3b...@News.individual.net>
from Carlton Miniott <dave...@ukmisc.org.uk> contains these words:

> It's a bit like the OpenGL graphics library being installed on Windows
> but never mentioned. Is it still there in Vista, anybody know?

http://www.opengl.org/pipeline/article/vol003_9/

David Reid

Jun 23, 2008, 11:55:04 AM6/23/08
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²'s best pigeon dodged hawks and farmers' guns to bring me
the following:

>Weeds should not be a problem in a decent composter which should
>generate sufficient heat to inactivate them and their seeds. They
>don't mind 2" thick branches off of trees nor neither.

My parents went to an open day at Leicester County Councils composting
and recycling site a few years ago. Apparently the composting involved
putting the stuff in vast piles which were regularly turned over by
earth moving machines to prevent spontaneous combustion. I doubt much
could survive that.

--
David Reid Da...@disarray.org.uk http://www.disarray.org.uk

NEVER admit to knowing anything about computers.

Message has been deleted

Richard Robinson

Jun 23, 2008, 11:07:33 PM6/23/08
Guy King said:
> from sn...@spambin.fsnet.co.uk (Sn!pe) contains these words:
>
>> <http://preview.tinyurl.com/5fl9fb>
>> <http://www.wrestlingfurnace.com/galleries/m/mcmanus/mcmanus.htm>
>
> I used to like the wrestling. It had about the right amount of
> razzamataz without being over the top.

We used to giggle at it when we were kids. I think it was ar Mum got us
started. "But it's so _silly_, you can see they're only pretending".

Richard Bos

Jun 24, 2008, 4:40:53 AM6/24/08
Carlton Miniott <dave...@ukmisc.org.uk> wrote:

> Costing the net hundreds if not thousands of dollars, Carl LHS Williams
> said:
> >
> > I'm beginning to wonder if the progs which slow down modern
> > computers might be written mostly in an interpreted language,
> > interpreted using an interpreter written in an interpreted
> > language, running on an emulated processor.
> >
> > But of course that would be silly...
>
> Mostly it's due to the bloat for fancy graphics you didn't want and
> dealing with edge cases you don't care about and and and ...

...and mostly, Open Sores programmers wanting to add their bit for no
better reason than getting bragging rights in the Frea Software forums.

Richard

Karen Davies

Jun 24, 2008, 5:09:09 AM6/24/08

D'you reckon, it sounded more like a challenge to me. A prelude to
naughty shedmoot hankypanky. I'm deeply shocked.

Kran

Karen Davies

Jun 24, 2008, 5:20:26 AM6/24/08

> BWAHAHAHAHA! Just a bit different from the real one!
>
> <http://preview.tinyurl.com/5fl9fb>
> <http://www.wrestlingfurnace.com/galleries/m/mcmanus/mcmanus.htm>

Could be his grandad?

Kran

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Carl LHS Williams

Jun 24, 2008, 6:19:56 AM6/24/08
Huge wrote:

> Oh, indeed. I'd actually started writing it when someone mentionfd "comm" in
> Another Place. I've been using Unix for over 20 years, and I still come across
> new things.

MTAAW. Alarmingly. The 20 years bit is alarming, I mean. 'Ardly
seems possible. Sigh.

Carl LHS Williams

Jun 24, 2008, 6:37:55 AM6/24/08
Huge wrote:

> On 2008-06-23, Carl LHS Williams <ArK7prci...@spambox.us> wrote:
>
>> Is it just me who's still just a little staggered by any kind
>> of search through 250,000 words fetched out of a file taking
>> half a second?
>
> Youse need a faster pooter;
>
> [huge@anubis ~]: time tr /a-zA-Z/ /n-za-mN-ZA-M/a-za-z/ < \
> /usr/share/lib/dict/words | sort | \
> comm -12 - /usr/share/lib/dict/words > /dev/null
>
> real 0m0.088s
> user 0m0.075s
> sys 0m0.027s
>
> [huge@anubis ~]: uname -a
> SunOS anubis 5.10 Generic_118833-33 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-2000

I haven't used a Sun since those little almost cubic sparc
stations were contemporary, I see they've moved on a bit since
then. Mind you, the disc subsystems were always quite snappy.

Mine is a mere Macbook flaptop, though, 2.16GHz core 2, with
a relatively slow 2.5" drive, which might be what slows it
down. Then again, with 2G of ram and an 8MB buffer in the
"slow" drive, probably not - I goov the dict is only 2M or
so. Clearly it's inadequate and I shall have to ohl an
arj one...

> (But yes. Although the jaw-dropping in my case started when a PC could emulate a
> PDP11 faster than a real PDP11, some years ago, and has been going on ever
> since.)

Quite. I still haven't got around to getting my OpenVMS
license to run on me emulated VAX for nostalgia[1], style of
thing - I got as far as joining the Trezna DECUS group,
so in gurbel I could, if I could unlose the welcome pack
and membership number. Though I prolly can't get REAL
VMS (4.something) only some modern upstart version.

Thatssa point, I had a box of the microfiche source
code for VMS4.something, wonder wot happened to that?
It was all in Bliss or summat.

Ah, them were't days...

Me mate Vas has a bunch of wireless/computer mags from the
70s and 80s, I love all the adverts for things which lasted
about a year saying "THIS system is *modular*, so it will never
become obsolete". It's also a bit sobering to see how
much the early 10MB mini-winchesters were fryyvat for,
when taken in the context of yer 4GB compact flash
card for a tenner.

[1] But, arguably even sadder, I do have a jbexvat
Commodore PET emulator[2]... Mi First Computer,
wonnit, if you don't count the Sinclair Scientific
Programmable, which I wish I still had 'cos
they're quite collectable these days, allegedly...

[2] Doesn't have the *smell*, though, and the nice
satisfying smoothing-capacitor "whomp" and zingy
screen-coming-to-life noises. Nostalgia just
ain't wot it used to be.

Guy King

Jun 24, 2008, 6:38:01 AM6/24/08
The message <g3qf2i$2tb$2...@anubis.demon.co.uk>
from Huge <Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid> contains these words:

> Our compst heap gets so hot inside that you cannot put your hand in theor. I
> doubt much could survivbe that, either.

We used to get a good crop of potatoes from our of our heaps, and cook
'em in the grass cuttings on the other.

Carl LHS Williams

Jun 24, 2008, 6:42:48 AM6/24/08
Huge wrote:

> On 2008-06-23, Carl LHS Williams <ArK7prci...@spambox.us> wrote:
>> I'm beginning to wonder if the progs which slow down modern
>> computers might be written mostly in an interpreted language,
>> interpreted using an interpreter written in an interpreted
>> language, running on an emulated processor.
>>
>> But of course that would be silly...
>
> Hang on, are you the boke I used to work with who wrote an APL interpreter in
> MUMPS?

I'm not admitting to anything like that. But no, I've never
to my knowledge[1] written anything in MUMPS.

[1] This doesn't mean I've never written anything in MUMPS,
necessarily, even though I presently have no idea of
what MUMPS is or was... I unforget the rather unsettling
experience of finding some hand-written code, in my
handwriting, which I couldn't fathom out at all and
which I had no recollection of writing. Eventually
remembered it was in FORTH, all reverse-Polish and
stacky, whereupon it all made perfect sense and I
gradually unforgot what it was for. Most disconcerting.

Carl LHS Williams

Jun 24, 2008, 6:44:35 AM6/24/08
Huge wrote:

> On 2008-06-23, Carl LHS Williams <ArK7prci...@spambox.us> wrote:
>> I'm beginning to wonder if the progs which slow down modern
>> computers might be written mostly in an interpreted language,
>> interpreted using an interpreter written in an interpreted
>> language, running on an emulated processor.
>>
>> But of course that would be silly...
>
> Hang on, are you the boke I used to work with who wrote an APL interpreter in
> MUMPS?

Wot I was imagining was the possibility that hefty
chunks of things like Word might just be written in
some kind of BASIC or LISP, interpreted by summat in
Java...

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

bobharvey

Jun 24, 2008, 7:40:24 AM6/24/08
On 24 Jun, 12:14, Huge <H...@nowhere.much.invalid> wrote:
> I believe the Visual Basic for Apps stuff is done thuswise. One of the reasons
> it was so hard (impossible) to port to MacOS/X.

And people wonder why I rant against Dozysoft. Obviously some fresh-
faced nitwit was allowed to do a major part of a major project in his
toy-of-the-month, and no-one was managing the process or giving any
thought at all to the consequences wrt maintainability etc. Morons.
Why should we give them money?

Karen Davies

Jun 24, 2008, 7:47:35 AM6/24/08

S'all a question of perspective. Don't sigh over the hastily wotsitting
years, preen over the accumulated wisdom of years and practice being
venerable.

Kran, practicing like hootery.

Richard Robinson

Jun 24, 2008, 7:56:57 AM6/24/08

Because they allow you to cnl zbarl for a helpdesk that gives you irritating
music to listen to when you think you've found a bug. You can't get that
with things you haven't cnvq for. <My experience of such things is manymany
years old, by now, so in an ideal wordl this would be an obsolete stereotrype.
Whether the wordl is indeed ideal in this respect, I wotnot>

®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Jun 24, 2008, 8:20:38 AM6/24/08
On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:47:35 +0100, Karen Davies
<oior...@hotmail.com> wrote and included this (or some of this):

> practice being venerable.

IRTA summat similar

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Message has been deleted

Andrew Marshall

Jun 24, 2008, 8:48:33 AM6/24/08
In message <g3qkkm$4ba$1...@anubis.demon.co.uk>, Huge
<Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid> writes

>Blimey, I've been Using Computers since, er, 1970 and Doing It For a Living
>since 1975.

>Eek.

1973 and 1977 respectively for me, in various ways.
--
Regards,
Andrew Marshall, G8BUR, M0MAA.

Message has been deleted