Old US radio shows

Brian Gaff

Jan 31, 2024, 1:39:44 PMJan 31
have you noticed the number of radio stations on the internet, sorry
pedants, I know its not really radio, which have old US radio shows of all
kinds including dramas in vastly varying quality Some are clearly taken from
transcriptions from the AFN network, but others sound like they have no
clicks and have been recorded from an am radio. Historically though, tape
recording did not really appear until some time in the last war, and some of
the recordings date from the 30s. Its really interesting on the ones
recorded off air to hear the advertisements within them. Corny or what.
Just search for old time radio on Alexas my tuner radio skill. I found
around 7, including one in South Africa, which if nothing else is
interesting as it has their own take on series derived from other countries
like calling all cars and The Avengers.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Abandoned Trolley

Feb 1, 2024, 3:41:29 AMFeb 1
On 31/01/2024 18:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
> have you noticed the number of radio stations on the internet, sorry
> pedants, I know its not really radio, which have old US radio shows of all
> kinds including dramas in vastly varying quality Some are clearly taken from
> transcriptions from the AFN network, but others sound like they have no
> clicks and have been recorded from an am radio. Historically though, tape
> recording did not really appear until some time in the last war, and some of
> the recordings date from the 30s. Its really interesting on the ones
> recorded off air to hear the advertisements within them. Corny or what.
> Just search for old time radio on Alexas my tuner radio skill. I found
> around 7, including one in South Africa, which if nothing else is
> interesting as it has their own take on series derived from other countries
> like calling all cars and The Avengers.
> Brian

Theres quite a bit of that stuff on youtube as well, along with a lot of
old US tv shows.

I was watching an episode of Mr Edd recently with Clint Eastwood as a guest

Abandoned Trolley

Feb 1, 2024, 3:42:11 AMFeb 1

> Theres quite a bit of that stuff on youtube as well, along with a lot of
> old US tv shows.
>
> I was watching an episode of Mr Edd recently with Clint Eastwood as a guest

Sorry - "Mr Ed" !!

Brian Gaff

Feb 1, 2024, 9:33:29 AMFeb 1
Dragnet is one on the radio channels. Lots of adverts for cigarettes in
them, which considering they were smoking all the time was hardly surprising
I suppose.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Abandoned Trolley" <fr...@fred-smith.co.uk> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Feb 1, 2024, 9:34:55 AMFeb 1
Just horsing around. The radio has of course got The Lone Ranger as apposed
to the loan arranger which is something quite different.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Abandoned Trolley" <fr...@fred-smith.co.uk> wrote in message

maus

Feb 1, 2024, 10:41:42 AMFeb 1
On 2024-02-01, Brian Gaff <brian...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dragnet is one on the radio channels. Lots of adverts for cigarettes in
> them, which considering they were smoking all the time was hardly surprising
> I suppose.
> Brian

John Wayne, in "the Quite Man", had to light a gasper in every scene,
almost, and he died from cancer.

There was a radio thing once about Sir Walter Raleigh explaining to King
James, (I and extra) what tobacco was for.

--
grey...@mail.com
"Boris, our once and future PM."

John Williamson

Feb 1, 2024, 11:06:23 AMFeb 1
On 01/02/2024 15:41, maus wrote:
> On 2024-02-01, Brian Gaff <brian...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dragnet is one on the radio channels. Lots of adverts for cigarettes in
>> them, which considering they were smoking all the time was hardly surprising
>> I suppose.
>> Brian
>>

> John Wayne, in "the Quite Man", had to light a gasper in every scene,
> almost, and he died from cancer.
>
> There was a radio thing once about Sir Walter Raleigh explaining to King
> James, (I and extra) what tobacco was for.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ4-JFKAXVM

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

John Williamson

Feb 1, 2024, 11:11:14 AMFeb 1
A link to the full version.

https://youtu.be/j4ZLb4afIJw

maus

Feb 1, 2024, 12:22:56 PMFeb 1
Yup/. Still makes me laugh. In real life, AFAIK, James was very anti

tobacco

Brian Gaff

Feb 2, 2024, 5:24:55 AMFeb 2
Yes I remember the Bob Newhart one very well.
I was listing to a radio channel on Alexa last night called Sci Fi Old time
radio, and low and behold they played an old original Star trek, and a
next generation complete with audio description it said, done by the Sci Fi
Channel. This begs the question, then if these stations can get hold of AD
stuff, why do we not get it on the repeats of these shows on Freeview? There
is something broken here where it seems the AD does not travel with the
original shows. The fact that one assumes these tracks were done by UK
companies might well suggest that the place a lot of the Freeview channels
are getting them from is the original, and thus completely bypassing the AD
specifically done for the UK.
This sort of thing also goes on with films and other series as well. It
seems that not all freeview transmitters are even capable of AD as the flag
vanishes on my Samsung sets on film and legend channels, where as the ones
with AD do not always show AD except for the commercials where these exist.
I think the word shambles describes it well.

Brian

--

--:
"maus" <ma...@debian.org> wrote in message