soup

Peter

Nov 2, 2022, 5:48:59 AM11/2/22
A few years ago swmbo gave me a soup maker. It's rather good. Chuck in a
bag of frozen vegetables (any will do), a couple of spuds, peeled and
roughly chopped, stock cube, seasoning and water to the mark. Set it going
and 20 minutes later I have 1.5 litres of thick, tasty hot soup. That's
lunch for a few days (though after the first day I need to reheat portions
in the tinywobbler - obvs). Just right for this time of year.

I'm not sure it will last much longer though. The cogs that drive the
macerator blade are starting to grate.

--
Peter
-----

Richard Robinson

Nov 2, 2022, 7:32:44 AM11/2/22
An electric pressure cooker will have them ready for macerating in v.
little time, and you can get a spinning blade onna stick to pulp them.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Julian Macassey

Nov 2, 2022, 7:49:06 AM11/2/22
On Wed, 2 Nov 2022 09:48:58 -0000 (UTC), Peter <mys...@prune.org.uk> wrote:

[Soup making gadget]
> Set it going
> and 20 minutes later I have 1.5 litres of thick, tasty hot soup. That's
> lunch for a few days (though after the first day I need to reheat portions
> in the tinywobbler - obvs). Just right for this time of year.
>
> I'm not sure it will last much longer though. The cogs that drive the
> macerator blade are starting to grate.

I'm making soup at the mo'. I use a "crock pot". First I
throw in bones and some celery etc. Boil it for a while, then
after a while, throw the bones and veg in the compost heap. Then
using the broth throw in veggies, meat etc. cook for an hour or
more and soup is ready. Should you wany it smooth, throw it in
the food processor, or use stick blender, I'm chunky soup fan
myself.

I like barley or rice in my soup, but today its beans.

--
"He that wishes to see his country robbed of its rights cannot be
a patriot. - Samuel Johnson: The Patriot

Kerr-Mudd, John

Nov 2, 2022, 8:45:54 AM11/2/22
On Wed, 2 Nov 2022 11:32:43 -0000 (UTC)
Richard Robinson <ric...@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:

> Peter said:
> > A few years ago swmbo gave me a soup maker. It's rather good. Chuck in a
> > bag of frozen vegetables (any will do), a couple of spuds, peeled and
> > roughly chopped, stock cube, seasoning and water to the mark. Set it going
> > and 20 minutes later I have 1.5 litres of thick, tasty hot soup. That's
> > lunch for a few days (though after the first day I need to reheat portions
> > in the tinywobbler - obvs). Just right for this time of year.
> >
> > I'm not sure it will last much longer though. The cogs that drive the
> > macerator blade are starting to grate.
>
> An electric pressure cooker will have them ready for macerating in v.
> little time, and you can get a spinning blade onna stick to pulp them.

That's what I do. (no leccy though, it goes on either the gas hob or
WBS, if lit.)

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Tone

Nov 2, 2022, 9:38:36 AM11/2/22

RustyHinge

Nov 2, 2022, 9:28:59 PM11/2/22
On 02/11/2022 11:49, Julian Macassey wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Nov 2022 09:48:58 -0000 (UTC), Peter <mys...@prune.org.uk> wrote:
>
> [Soup making gadget]
>> Set it going
>> and 20 minutes later I have 1.5 litres of thick, tasty hot soup. That's
>> lunch for a few days (though after the first day I need to reheat portions
>> in the tinywobbler - obvs). Just right for this time of year.
>>
>> I'm not sure it will last much longer though. The cogs that drive the
>> macerator blade are starting to grate.
>
> I'm making soup at the mo'. I use a "crock pot". First I
> throw in bones and some celery etc. Boil it for a while, then
> after a while, throw the bones and veg in the compost heap. Then
> using the broth throw in veggies, meat etc. cook for an hour or
> more and soup is ready. Should you wany it smooth, throw it in
> the food processor, or use stick blender, I'm chunky soup fan
> myself.
>
> I like barley or rice in my soup, but today its beans.

I tend to put in pearl barley, lentils, split peas, various dry beans -
choice is vast, but I usually use haricots, pinto, flageolet and chick peas.

I don't chuck the veg (On!ons, celery and a clove or three of garlic) I
cook with the boneses; they get whopped-up in the blender, then I dice
finely carrots, swede, parsnip and beetroot.

Got some on the go at the moment - chicken bones, skin &c. I'll go a bit
light on the pulses, except for some extra butter beans. I'll probably
add some mustard seed TAAAW

--
Rusty Hinge

Don Stockbauer

Nov 3, 2022, 9:41:00 AM11/3/22
Is RustyHinge his real name, or is it an alias?

Richard Robinson

Nov 3, 2022, 11:33:10 AM11/3/22
Until a few days ago, I'd have claimed to be much in favour of the
electric ones[1]. But then I tbg gur cbjre ovyy.

[1] Pressure cookers, not soups.

Tone

Nov 3, 2022, 1:33:15 PM11/3/22
On 03/11/2022 13:40, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> Is RustyHinge his real name, or is it an alias?

It's in brackets

Tone

Nicholas D. Richards

Nov 3, 2022, 3:15:22 PM11/3/22
In article <tk0u0k$1f7fq$1...@dont-email.me>, Tone <to...@email.com> on
Thu, 3 Nov 2022 at 17:33:08 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
I have often wondered whether it was 'RustyHinge and LooseBracket'.
Sadly LooseBracket finally came away from the wall in 2002.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

RustyHinge

Nov 3, 2022, 8:03:25 PM11/3/22
On 03/11/2022 19:10, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> In article <tk0u0k$1f7fq$1...@dont-email.me>, Tone <to...@email.com> on
> Thu, 3 Nov 2022 at 17:33:08 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>> On 03/11/2022 13:40, Don Stockbauer wrote:
>>> Is RustyHinge his real name, or is it an alias?
>>
>> It's in brackets
>>
>> Tone
> I have often wondered whether it was 'RustyHinge and LooseBracket'.
> Sadly LooseBracket finally came away from the wall in 2002.

I seldom use falsetto to communicate, but have been called 'Rusty' for
longer than I care to unforget 'cos of the colour of my hair and beard,
thobut both have now been bleached by clockwork marches.

Brian

Nov 4, 2022, 4:07:07 AM11/4/22
Richard Robinson <ric...@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:
> Peter said:
>> A few years ago swmbo gave me a soup maker. It's rather good. Chuck in a
>> bag of frozen vegetables (any will do), a couple of spuds, peeled and
>> roughly chopped, stock cube, seasoning and water to the mark. Set it going
>> and 20 minutes later I have 1.5 litres of thick, tasty hot soup. That's
>> lunch for a few days (though after the first day I need to reheat portions
>> in the tinywobbler - obvs). Just right for this time of year.
>>
>> I'm not sure it will last much longer though. The cogs that drive the
>> macerator blade are starting to grate.
>
> An electric pressure cooker will have them ready for macerating in v.
> little time, and you can get a spinning blade onna stick to pulp them.

I’m a convert to electric pressure cookers / Instant Pots- fantastic. I use
mine to make stock, soups, …. It also does Sous Vide - almost the exact
opposite of pressure cooking, long time, low temp in a water bath. Great
for steak etc

That said, while they claim to also be slow cookers, I’ve not had much
success using mine as one. I gave my slow cooker away when I bought the IP
and recently decided to buy another one. Some things I like to do in the
slow cooker. In fact, I made a batch ( 4+ litres) of soup in it recently,
using home made stock, previously made in the Instant Pot. I put the
ingredients in, left it 8 hrs or so, (on low) and used the hand blender to
liquidise it, then adding the final ingredients ( already cooked), before
freezing in serving sized portions (once cool).

greymaus

Nov 4, 2022, 5:22:44 AM11/4/22
On 2022-11-04, Brian <no...@lid.org> wrote:
> Richard Robinson <ric...@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:
>> Peter said:
>>> A few years ago swmbo gave me a soup maker. It's rather good. Chuck in a
>>> bag of frozen vegetables (any will do), a couple of spuds, peeled and
>>> roughly chopped, stock cube, seasoning and water to the mark. Set it going
>>> and 20 minutes later I have 1.5 litres of thick, tasty hot soup. That's
>>> lunch for a few days (though after the first day I need to reheat portions
>>> in the tinywobbler - obvs). Just right for this time of year.

Our place is a sort of community now. We have occasional votes for what
is useful and what aint, That George forman grill is gone, the aircooker
is on probation (too noisy) the tiny deep fryer is gone, the slow cooker
(turns meat into mush), the microwave is needed, and so on. All electric
stuff is useless when the power is gone, as it more frequently is.

There is talk of banning turf, cutting down on coal, and limiting
firewood.

Maus

soup

Nov 4, 2022, 6:01:21 AM11/4/22
Thought this was a ping, ah well back to my lonesome.

Kerr-Mudd, John

Nov 4, 2022, 6:30:33 AM11/4/22
Well? soup, give us yer recipes!

Peter

Nov 4, 2022, 8:22:40 AM11/4/22
soup <inv...@invalid.com> wrote in news:tk2ntf$1o23p$1...@dont-email.me:

> On 02/11/2022 09:48, Peter wrote:
>> A few years ago swmbo gave me a soup maker. It's rather good. Chuck
>> in a bag of frozen vegetables (any will do), a couple of spuds,
>> peeled and roughly chopped, stock cube, seasoning and water to the
>> mark. Set it going and 20 minutes later I have 1.5 litres of thick,
>> tasty hot soup. That's lunch for a few days (though after the first
>> day I need to reheat portions in the tinywobbler - obvs). Just right
>> for this time of year.
>
> Thought this was a ping, ah well back to my lonesome.

Oh yes, sorry. should perhaps have titled it "soup (not Soup)".

--
Peter
-----

soup

Nov 4, 2022, 9:00:21 AM11/4/22
Still would have looked, as I am a wishful thinker (and it's not
capitalised).

Julian Macassey

Nov 4, 2022, 10:20:24 AM11/4/22
On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 08:07:07 -0000 (UTC), Brian <no...@lid.org> wrote:

> I’m a convert to electric pressure cookers / Instant Pots- fantastic. I use
> mine to make stock, soups, …. It also does Sous Vide - almost the exact
> opposite of pressure cooking, long time, low temp in a water bath. Great

Sous-vide is little more than boil-in-the-bag with a physics
degree. - Bob Granleese, Guardian 3 May 2019

--
Hitler, no doubt, will soon disappear, but only at the expense of
strengthening (a) Stalin, (b) the Anglo-American millionaires and

Julian Macassey

Nov 4, 2022, 10:29:49 AM11/4/22
On 4 Nov 2022 09:22:42 GMT, greymaus <grey...@dmaus.org> wrote:

> Our place is a sort of community now. We have occasional votes for what
> is useful and what aint, That George forman grill is gone, the aircooker
> is on probation (too noisy)

Air fryers tend to be loaded with PTFE (Teflon), this is
ungood.

> the slow cooker (turns meat into mush),

That's the point, it tenderises tough cuts of meat.

> There is talk of banning turf, cutting down on coal, and limiting
> firewood.

Works for me.

--
"If you are going to tell people the truth, you have to make them
laugh, or they'll kill you." - Attributed to Oscar Wilde

Peter

Nov 4, 2022, 11:15:19 AM11/4/22
Julian Macassey <jul...@n6are.com> wrote in

> On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 08:07:07 -0000 (UTC), Brian <no...@lid.org> wrote:
>>
>> I’m a convert to electric pressure cookers / Instant Pots-
>> fantastic. I use mine to make stock, soups, …. It also does Sous
>> Vide - almost the exact opposite of pressure cooking, long time, low
>> temp in a water bath. Great
>
> Sous-vide is little more than boil-in-the-bag with a physics
> degree. - Bob Granleese, Guardian 3 May 2019

Hoorah! (TFD)

--
Peter
-----

soup

Nov 4, 2022, 1:07:36 PM11/4/22
On 04/11/2022 14:20, Julian Macassey wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 08:07:07 -0000 (UTC), Brian <no...@lid.org> wrote:
>>
>> I’m a convert to electric pressure cookers / Instant Pots- fantastic. I use
>> mine to make stock, soups, …. It also does Sous Vide - almost the exact
>> opposite of pressure cooking, long time, low temp in a water bath. Great
>
> Sous-vide is little more than boil-in-the-bag with a physics
> degree. - Bob Granleese, Guardian 3 May 2019

Wish I'd said that.

RustyHinge

Nov 4, 2022, 4:20:35 PM11/4/22
You you will, Soup, you will.

greymaus

Nov 4, 2022, 6:58:58 PM11/4/22
Python, "Beautiful Soup", before I changed to Ruby.

Maus

Brian

Nov 6, 2022, 1:11:52 PM11/6/22
Julian Macassey <jul...@n6are.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 08:07:07 -0000 (UTC), Brian <no...@lid.org> wrote:
>>
>> I’m a convert to electric pressure cookers / Instant Pots- fantastic. I use
>> mine to make stock, soups, …. It also does Sous Vide - almost the exact
>> opposite of pressure cooking, long time, low temp in a water bath. Great
>
> Sous-vide is little more than boil-in-the-bag with a physics
> degree. - Bob Granleese, Guardian 3 May 2019

Hmm, except water boils at 100C and Sous Vide tends to use 50 to 60C or so.
A medium rare steak would be around 54C.

True you sear it after in a frying pan ( not essential, the Sous Vide cooks
it fully).

Julian Macassey

Nov 6, 2022, 3:47:02 PM11/6/22
On Sun, 6 Nov 2022 18:11:51 -0000 (UTC), Brian <no...@lid.org> wrote:
> Julian Macassey <jul...@n6are.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sous-vide is little more than boil-in-the-bag with a physics
>> degree. - Bob Granleese, Guardian 3 May 2019
>>

> Hmm, except water boils at 100C and Sous Vide tends to use 50 to 60C or so.
> A medium rare steak would be around 54C.

As noted, with a physics degree, also a micro-biology
degree maybe.

> True you sear it after in a frying pan ( not essential, the Sous Vide cooks
> it fully).

Just fry the fucking steak, beats waiting around
while dinner is floating in a poly bag.

--
Anyone who has ever struggled with poverty knows how extremely
expensive it is to be poor. - James Baldwin

Tim+

Nov 6, 2022, 3:57:04 PM11/6/22
Julian Macassey <jul...@n6are.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Nov 2022 18:11:51 -0000 (UTC), Brian <no...@lid.org> wrote:
>> Julian Macassey <jul...@n6are.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sous-vide is little more than boil-in-the-bag with a physics
>>> degree. - Bob Granleese, Guardian 3 May 2019
>>>

>> Hmm, except water boils at 100C and Sous Vide tends to use 50 to 60C or so.
>> A medium rare steak would be around 54C.
>
> As noted, with a physics degree, also a micro-biology
> degree maybe.
>>
>> True you sear it after in a frying pan ( not essential, the Sous Vide cooks
>> it fully).
>
> Just fry the fucking steak, beats waiting around
> while dinner is floating in a poly bag.

Indeed. Only makes sense for stuff that *needs* slow cooking.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Brian

Nov 7, 2022, 9:48:19 AM11/7/22
Julian Macassey <jul...@n6are.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Nov 2022 18:11:51 -0000 (UTC), Brian <no...@lid.org> wrote:
>> Julian Macassey <jul...@n6are.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sous-vide is little more than boil-in-the-bag with a physics
>>> degree. - Bob Granleese, Guardian 3 May 2019
>>>

>> Hmm, except water boils at 100C and Sous Vide tends to use 50 to 60C or so.
>> A medium rare steak would be around 54C.
>
> As noted, with a physics degree, also a micro-biology
> degree maybe.
>>
>> True you sear it after in a frying pan ( not essential, the Sous Vide cooks
>> it fully).
>
> Just fry the fucking steak, beats waiting around
> while dinner is floating in a poly bag.

If I say so myself, I can cook quite well - back in the day of the original
Master Chef some friends suggested I enter.

However, I have never mastered steak, until I tried Sous Vide. True, I’m
not a fan of steak - at least cooked as a slab of meat. Beef cooked other
ways yes. Gammon or Pork as a slab, yes, beef no.

73 G8OSN/W8OSN

Don Stockbauer

Nov 7, 2022, 10:40:20 AM11/7/22
On Monday, November 7, 2022 at 8:48:19 AM UTC-6, Brian wrote:
> Julian Macassey <jul...@n6are.com> wrote:

> >> Hmm, except water boils at 100C and Sous Vide tends to use 50 to 60C or so.
> >> A medium rare steak would be around 54C.
> >
> > As noted, with a physics degree, also a micro-biology
> > degree maybe.
> >>
> >> True you sear it after in a frying pan ( not essential, the Sous Vide cooks
> >> it fully).
> >
> > Just fry the fucking steak, beats waiting around
> > while dinner is floating in a poly bag.
> >
> If I say so myself, I can cook quite well - back in the day of the original
> Master Chef some friends suggested I enter.
>
> However, I have never mastered steak, until I tried Sous Vide. True, I’m
> not a fan of steak - at least cooked as a slab of meat. Beef cooked other
> ways yes. Gammon or Pork as a slab, yes, beef no.
>
> 73 G8OSN/W8OSN

so what it boils down to is I was having a great time posting here with Google groups and then one of your patrons decided that he didn't have enough games to play so he played the Google group card again and I just being of weak temperament and mind bought into it should've just ignored him like everyone else on earth ignores everyone else thus ensuring our extinction but so anyway I just blew it I responded to him in this I think he uses an alias instead of a real name and so then the misery went on a few more iterations like someone telling me I don't follow rules and then and then I'm a troll and all that so then it will do just a minute just a minute Dave the AE 35 and 10 uh appointing unit will fail in 72 hours.

Brian

Nov 7, 2022, 12:37:34 PM11/7/22
??

RustyHinge

Nov 7, 2022, 1:19:05 PM11/7/22
+1+1

Sam Plusnet

Nov 7, 2022, 3:07:06 PM11/7/22
On 06-Nov-22 18:11, Brian wrote:
> Julian Macassey <jul...@n6are.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 08:07:07 -0000 (UTC), Brian <no...@lid.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I’m a convert to electric pressure cookers / Instant Pots- fantastic. I use
>>> mine to make stock, soups, …. It also does Sous Vide - almost the exact
>>> opposite of pressure cooking, long time, low temp in a water bath. Great
>>
>> Sous-vide is little more than boil-in-the-bag with a physics
>> degree. - Bob Granleese, Guardian 3 May 2019
>>

> Hmm, except water boils at 100C

Your Altitude May Vary.

--
Sam Plusnet

Brian

Nov 7, 2022, 3:31:34 PM11/7/22
Even at the top of Everest, it would boil at around 72 degrees - above the
temp generally used for Sous Vide

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Nov 7, 2022, 4:00:02 PM11/7/22
Don't pressure him.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Julian Macassey

Nov 7, 2022, 8:27:37 PM11/7/22
Some people are literalists, these are the people who
tend not to get jokes.

--
“It never ceases to amaze me how money makes people think they
know things they don’t know." - Steven Colbert

Sam Plusnet

Nov 8, 2022, 2:38:02 PM11/8/22
But that would only make it worserer.

--