Annie Versary

Richard Robinson

Feb 9, 2024, 11:45:55 AMFeb 9

I just noticed ... I signed up with Demon in Jan. 1993.

30 years. How time flies [1] when you're occasionally enjoying yourself.

[1] Be very careful not to think about bananas.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Peter

Feb 9, 2024, 1:19:24 PMFeb 9
Richard Robinson <ric...@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote in news:uq5ks1$2n5nu$1
@dont-email.me:

> I just noticed ... I signed up with Demon in Jan. 1993.
>
> 30 years. How time flies [1] when you're occasionally enjoying yourself.
>
> [1] Be very careful not to think about bananas.

Oh, many happy bananas.

--
Peter
-----

Jeff Gaines

Feb 9, 2024, 1:23:02 PMFeb 9
On 09/02/2024 in message <XnsB113BA68ED...@135.181.20.170>
And a happy New year :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Did you know on the Canary Islands there is not one canary?

Jeff Gaines

Feb 9, 2024, 1:25:20 PMFeb 9
On 09/02/2024 in message <uq5ks1$2n5nu$1...@dont-email.me> Richard Robinson
wrote:

>I just noticed ... I signed up with Demon in Jan. 1993.
>
>30 years. How time flies [1] when you're occasionally enjoying yourself.
>
>[1] Be very careful not to think about bananas.

Was Malcolm Muir the very helpful techie at Demon?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
How does a gender neutral bog differ from a unisex bog ?

Nicholas D. Richards

Feb 9, 2024, 1:29:50 PMFeb 9
In article <uq5ks1$2n5nu$1...@dont-email.me>, Richard Robinson
<ric...@qualmograph.org.uk> on Fri, 9 Feb 2024 at 16:45:53 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

>I just noticed ... I signed up with Demon in Jan. 1993.
>
>30 years. How time flies [1] when you're occasionally enjoying yourself.
>
>[1] Be very careful not to think about bananas.

Your well ahead of me, June 1996 (subject to the Biden defence).
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Tease'n'Seize

Feb 9, 2024, 2:08:50 PMFeb 9
Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Was Malcolm Muir the very helpful techie at Demon?

Yes, from Sunderland IIRC?

Richard Robinson

Feb 9, 2024, 5:16:11 PMFeb 9
Nicholas D. Richards said:
> In article <uq5ks1$2n5nu$1...@dont-email.me>, Richard Robinson
><ric...@qualmograph.org.uk> on Fri, 9 Feb 2024 at 16:45:53 awoke
> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>>
>>I just noticed ... I signed up with Demon in Jan. 1993.
>>
>>30 years. How time flies [1] when you're occasionally enjoying yourself.
>>
>>[1] Be very careful not to think about bananas.
>>
> Your well ahead of me, June 1996 (subject to the Biden defence).

I was lucky. My brother had got hold of Steve Jobs' next box (with daft
cApitaLs), which more or less required a connection. So he'd asked and
they'd told him about this new company ... I think he claims to be a
single-number customer.

In 1986, the first thing that happened when he fired the machine up was
that it received an email from Mr. J. Which played a video.

Richard Robinson

Feb 9, 2024, 5:20:33 PMFeb 9
And many returns to you too, and may they not be just left on the doorstep.

Richard Robinson

Feb 9, 2024, 5:20:49 PMFeb 9
Jeff Gaines said:
> On 09/02/2024 in message <XnsB113BA68ED...@135.181.20.170>
> Peter wrote:
>
>>Richard Robinson <ric...@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote in news:uq5ks1$2n5nu$1
>>@dont-email.me:
>>

>>>I just noticed ... I signed up with Demon in Jan. 1993.
>>>
>>>30 years. How time flies [1] when you're occasionally enjoying yourself.
>>>
>>>[1] Be very careful not to think about bananas.
>>
>>Oh, many happy bananas.
>
> And a happy New year :-)

Thank you.

me9

Feb 9, 2024, 9:32:04 PMFeb 9
A fiend of ArFrank. RIP.

--
braind

Mike Fleming

Feb 13, 2024, 10:40:26 AMFeb 13
On 09/02/2024 22:16, Richard Robinson wrote:
> Nicholas D. Richards said:
>> In article <uq5ks1$2n5nu$1...@dont-email.me>, Richard Robinson
>> <ric...@qualmograph.org.uk> on Fri, 9 Feb 2024 at 16:45:53 awoke
>> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>>>
>>> I just noticed ... I signed up with Demon in Jan. 1993.
>>>
>>> 30 years. How time flies [1] when you're occasionally enjoying yourself.
>>>
>>> [1] Be very careful not to think about bananas.
>>>
>> Your well ahead of me, June 1996 (subject to the Biden defence).
>
> I was lucky. My brother had got hold of Steve Jobs' next box (with daft
> cApitaLs), which more or less required a connection. So he'd asked and
> they'd told him about this new company ... I think he claims to be a
> single-number customer.
>
> In 1986, the first thing that happened when he fired the machine up was
> that it received an email from Mr. J. Which played a video.

December 1994 for me, when I got made redundant from ICL (just in time
for Christmas).

Richard Robinson

Feb 13, 2024, 11:19:21 AMFeb 13
Brain fart, sorry. I should have said '92.

> December 1994 for me, when I got made redundant from ICL (just in time
> for Christmas).

Sam Plusnet

Feb 13, 2024, 2:37:00 PMFeb 13
Surprising how many firms decide to celebrate Christmas by 'Letting
people go'. Sentimental old sods.

(Yes I know the feeling)

--
Sam Plusnet

Julian Macassey

Feb 13, 2024, 3:48:59 PMFeb 13
I think I have lost count of the number of times I have been sacked
right before Crimbo.

There was one time I was fired right before Christmas that was a
relief, the company had decided that as a special treat they were flyimg the
staff out to Las Vegas for a couple of days.

Over another Christmas I was working for a company staffed and
managed by Mormons. What a terrible party, bad food and no booze, I have
attended more cheerful funerals.

--
"Our men and women in uniform are fighting terrorists in Iraq so
we do not have to face them here at home." G. W. Bush State of

John Williamson

Feb 13, 2024, 4:06:56 PMFeb 13
On 13/02/2024 20:48, Julian Macassey wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 19:36:56 +0000, Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com> wrote:
>> Surprising how many firms decide to celebrate Christmas by 'Letting
>> people go'. Sentimental old sods.
>>
>> (Yes I know the feeling)
>
> I think I have lost count of the number of times I have been sacked
> right before Crimbo.
>
> There was one time I was fired right before Christmas that was a
> relief, the company had decided that as a special treat they were flyimg the
> staff out to Las Vegas for a couple of days.
>
> Over another Christmas I was working for a company staffed and
> managed by Mormons. What a terrible party, bad food and no booze, I have
> attended more cheerful funerals.

In my industry it is common as business drops off drastically after New
Year, so they can't afford the wage bill, so they give their drivers
notice just before Christmas. Many businesses go out of business
completely in March, when they can't afford the fuel bills when they get
busy again after the lull.

The surviving companies re-hire the drivers in the Spring. Rinse and repeat.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Simon

Feb 13, 2024, 5:23:44 PMFeb 13
I am on a summer contract, April to October, sometimes extra winter
work is offered and then I do January - October. It suits me at the
moment.
--
Simon

RLU: 222126

Sam Plusnet

Feb 14, 2024, 2:44:30 PMFeb 14
On 13-Feb-24 20:48, Julian Macassey wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 19:36:56 +0000, Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com> wrote:
>> On 13-Feb-24 15:40, Mike Fleming wrote:
>>>
>>> December 1994 for me, when I got made redundant from ICL (just in time
>>> for Christmas).
>>
>> Surprising how many firms decide to celebrate Christmas by 'Letting
>> people go'. Sentimental old sods.
>>
>> (Yes I know the feeling)
>
> I think I have lost count of the number of times I have been sacked
> right before Crimbo.
>
> There was one time I was fired right before Christmas that was a
> relief, the company had decided that as a special treat they were flyimg the
> staff out to Las Vegas for a couple of days.
>
> Over another Christmas I was working for a company staffed and
> managed by Mormons. What a terrible party, bad food and no booze, I have
> attended more cheerful funerals.

Odd that. Y'd think they would sort of compensate for the lack of
alcohol by having decent food.

--
Sam Plusnet

Richard Robinson

Feb 14, 2024, 4:29:53 PMFeb 14
or for the lack of good parties by having cheerful funerals ?

Julian Macassey

Feb 16, 2024, 2:43:53 AMFeb 16
Had they been Moslems that would tend to be true, but the Mormons
tend to be somewhat abstemious. The muslems at least enjoy coffee, tea and
cola, but not the Mormons.

--
The barbarous custom of having men beaten who are suspected of
having important secrets to reveal must be abolished. - Napoléon