Dune

Peter

Dec 1, 2022, 7:59:15 AM12/1/22
I've just re-read Dune. Wonderful! I first read it sometime in the '70s,
when I was reading all things Herbert. I saw the film on the WWP recently -
a pale imitation of the book but it rekindled my interest. The book was much
easier to follow second time around. I'll read summat else now and then
continue with the next Dune book.

--
Peter
-----

Chris Elvidge

Dec 1, 2022, 8:14:41 AM12/1/22
Dune Legends?
The Butlerian Jihad, The Machine Crusade, The Battle of Corin
Dune prequels?
House Atreides, House Harkonnen, House Corin

--
Chris Elvidge
England

Peter

Dec 1, 2022, 10:38:27 AM12/1/22
Chris Elvidge <ch...@mshome.net> wrote in
I think that Dune Messiah comes next - I'll stick to the original trilogy
and maybe the three FH sequels but probably ignore the prequels.

--
Peter
-----

Mike Fleming

Dec 1, 2022, 11:02:43 AM12/1/22
Dune Messiah, then Children of Dune. I've read the six FH ones - they do
get weaker towards the end but they're still good.

Was it the 1984 Dune that you saw? That was crap. The 2000 miniseries
was pretty good, as was the followup 2003 miniseries which combines Dune
Messiah and Children of Dune, and the 2021 film (which just covers half
of the book) is very good - I'm eagerly awaiting the second part of that
(just a year to go). Unlike The Hobbit, it's a book which can easily
stretch over more than one film.

Peter

Dec 1, 2022, 11:19:23 AM12/1/22
Mike Fleming <mi...@tauzero.co.uk> wrote in

> Was it the 1984 Dune that you saw? That was crap.

Not sure, I didn't notice the date. I wouldn't call it crap but it was only
an excerpt of the book.

> The 2000 miniseries
> was pretty good, as was the followup 2003 miniseries which combines
> Dune Messiah and Children of Dune, and the 2021 film (which just
> covers half of the book) is very good - I'm eagerly awaiting the
> second part of that (just a year to go).

I'll watch out for the others that you mention.

> Unlike The Hobbit, it's a
> book which can easily stretch over more than one film.

Yes, a one-film verson of the Hobbit would have been better. And I reckon
they could have cut out much of the second LOTR film.

--
Peter
-----

greymaus

Dec 1, 2022, 12:01:21 PM12/1/22
Don't bother. The next books are not near as good.

AFAIK, the 'native` language in Dune is not Arabic, (I presume the story
was based on some sort of struggle between Byzantium and rise of islam,
transferred to out space) but Arabic is so diverse, its hard to be sure)

`Sidneys Planet' is fun. The thought of a gigantic ball of refuse
returning to Earth is attractive.

--
grey...@mail.com

Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the stench of an Influencer.
Where is our money gone, Dude?

Mike Spencer

Dec 1, 2022, 12:54:09 PM12/1/22
When I read _Dune_ circa 1970, it was a single fat paperback volume.
I never figured out where the "trilogy" came from unless it was broken
up by the publisher into 3 volumes for a second edition. I could
never jbex up much interest in the sequals.

FWIW, I just last week watched the recent film version. I thought the
casting and role interprtations were weak -- e.g. Baron Harkonen is
presented as just a stupid thug rather than an utterly depraved
madman, Duncan Idaho isn't nearly weird enough and Jessica is a wimp
-- and the cinematography uninspiring.

I liked the much earlier film version better despite it being slagged
by the critics and even denounced by Herbert.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Dec 1, 2022, 1:00:02 PM12/1/22
On Thu, 1 Dec 2022 16:02:39 +0000
Mike Fleming <mi...@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:

> Was it the 1984 Dune that you saw? That was crap.

Rumour has it that a very good film was left on the cutting room
floor.

> The 2000 miniseries
> was pretty good, as was the followup 2003 miniseries which combines Dune
> Messiah and Children of Dune,

Yes it is, vastly better than that awful film.

> and the 2021 film (which just covers half
> of the book) is very good - I'm eagerly awaiting the second part of that
> (just a year to go).

Ooh I haven't seen that one.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Mark P. Nelson

Dec 2, 2022, 11:54:18 AM12/2/22
Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote in

>> Was it the 1984 Dune that you saw? That was crap.
>
> Rumour has it that a very good film was left on the cutting room
> floor.

Rumour is corrrect. At the West Coast Science Fiction convention (aka
Westercon) in 1984 I saw the uncut version. It was ten hours long and it made
sense, although Patrick Stewart was still awfully wooden.

Mark.

--
Clotho, Lachesis, Atropos -- the only sysadmins that matter

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Dec 2, 2022, 12:30:07 PM12/2/22
On Fri, 2 Dec 2022 16:54:17 -0000 (UTC)
"Mark P. Nelson" <markp...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote in
>
> >> Was it the 1984 Dune that you saw? That was crap.
> >
> > Rumour has it that a very good film was left on the cutting room
> > floor.
>
> Rumour is corrrect. At the West Coast Science Fiction convention (aka
> Westercon) in 1984 I saw the uncut version. It was ten hours long and it

Hmm that would have been hard to sell to the cinema audience. If it
still exists it would be interesting to be able stream it.

> made sense, although Patrick Stewart was still awfully wooden.

Some things remained the same then

Mike Spencer

Dec 2, 2022, 1:18:36 PM12/2/22

Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> writes:

> On Fri, 2 Dec 2022 16:54:17 -0000 (UTC)
> "Mark P. Nelson" <markp...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote in

>>> Rumour has it that a very good film was left on the cutting room
>>> floor.
>>
>> Rumour is corrrect. At the West Coast Science Fiction convention (aka
>> Westercon) in 1984 I saw the uncut version. It was ten hours long and it
>
> Hmm that would have been hard to sell to the cinema audience. If it
> still exists it would be interesting to be able stream it.

Does it or any other version exist on DVD? Wikipedia says:

...Koch Films has also released a more definitive multi-disc
edition (available only in Germany) containing three of the four
versions -- theatrical, TV, and "SpiceDiver" fan edits -- plus
supplemental materials (some not available on the Arrow release)
and the CD soundtrack.

Anyone know if there's a way around "only available" and f that's
limited by a region designation?

Mike Fleming

Dec 2, 2022, 8:12:29 PM12/2/22
On 01/12/2022 17:54, Mike Spencer wrote:
> Peter <mys...@prune.org.uk> writes:
>
>> Chris Elvidge <ch...@mshome.net> wrote in

>>> Dune Legends?
>>> The Butlerian Jihad, The Machine Crusade, The Battle of Corin
>>> Dune prequels?
>>> House Atreides, House Harkonnen, House Corin
>>
>> I think that Dune Messiah comes next - I'll stick to the original trilogy
>> and maybe the three FH sequels but probably ignore the prequels.
>
> When I read _Dune_ circa 1970, it was a single fat paperback volume.
> I never figured out where the "trilogy" came from unless it was broken
> up by the publisher into 3 volumes for a second edition. I could
> never jbex up much interest in the sequals.

It's a single fat paperback volume. Why do you assume that it was broken
up into three, rather than there being two sequels to it?

> FWIW, I just last week watched the recent film version. I thought the
> casting and role interprtations were weak -- e.g. Baron Harkonen is
> presented as just a stupid thug rather than an utterly depraved
> madman, Duncan Idaho isn't nearly weird enough and Jessica is a wimp
> -- and the cinematography uninspiring.
>
> I liked the much earlier film version better despite it being slagged
> by the critics and even denounced by Herbert.

The earlier film version was far worse. The complete reworking of the
"weirding way" is dreadful.

Bernard Peek

Dec 5, 2022, 12:31:25 PM12/5/22
On 2022-12-01, Peter <mys...@prune.org.uk> wrote:
Chacun etc. Personally I would stop there.

Bernard Peek

Dec 5, 2022, 12:43:27 PM12/5/22
On 2022-12-01, greymaus <grey...@dmaus.org> wrote:
> On 2022-12-01, Peter <mys...@prune.org.uk> wrote:
>> I've just re-read Dune. Wonderful! I first read it sometime in the '70s,
>> when I was reading all things Herbert. I saw the film on the WWP recently -
>> a pale imitation of the book but it rekindled my interest. The book was much
>> easier to follow second time around. I'll read summat else now and then
>> continue with the next Dune book.
>>

> Don't bother. The next books are not near as good.
>
> AFAIK, the 'native` language in Dune is not Arabic, (I presume the story
> was based on some sort of struggle between Byzantium and rise of islam,
> transferred to out space) but Arabic is so diverse, its hard to be sure)

Herbert was living in Norh Africa. I heard him talking about the book in
about '73. He said it was about the spread of Islam up through Africa.
Much later he denied that but he might well have had one eye on the
Jihadists.

b...@shrdlu.com