Photographic scales - references in photographs and not for weighing!

MB

Jul 25, 2021, 4:30:47 AM7/25/21
I like to have a scale to put alongside objects in photographs and did a
very useful one that I have lost.

It was like the carpenters' ruler with three rulers about a foot long.
It had Imperial and Metric scales but also alternate black and yellow
scales 10 cm long show up clearly on a photograph.

It might yet turn up but I have been looking through catalogues and
can't see a similar one.

Archaeological suppliers have plenty of the long stripey ranging poles
and smaller credit card sized one and six inch ones. Also suppliers of
forensic equipment though they tend to be expensive. But this one was
handy because it would in a bag or even pocket, and was not very expensive..

Any ideas?

Nick Odell

Jul 25, 2021, 6:25:44 AM7/25/21
As you say, there are plenty of folding rules about on Amazon and
eBay, Toolstation and Screwfix etc, but the nearer they come to your
specification, the more expensive they become. There is this novelty
keyring.... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174713222775 Any good?

Nick

MB

Jul 25, 2021, 12:00:17 PM7/25/21
On 25/07/2021 11:25, Nick Odell wrote:
> As you say, there are plenty of folding rules about on Amazon and
> eBay, Toolstation and Screwfix etc, but the nearer they come to your
> specification, the more expensive they become. There is this novelty
> keyring....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174713222775 Any good?

I want something with alternate black "strips" to make more visible in a
photograph. I have modified several things with black tape, my walking
poles both have blac stripes so they can be used if nothing else
available though I made them more robust by enclosing each in
transparent heatshrink tubing.

I will dig out some of my old photographs and see I can see a maker's name.

MB

Jul 29, 2021, 4:37:20 AM7/29/21
On 25/07/2021 09:31, MB wrote:
> I like to have a scale to put alongside objects in photographs and did a
> very useful one that I have lost.

The scale that I used to have seems to be

Sirchie 90cm Long Tri-Fold Scale

Or is very similar to that but I have not found a British supplier yet

Adam Funk

Aug 3, 2021, 12:30:03 PM8/3/21
Maybe try antique/junk shops, auctions, eBay for used archaeological
or surveying versions?

MB

Aug 3, 2021, 1:02:50 PM8/3/21
On 03/08/2021 17:15, Adam Funk wrote:
> Maybe try antique/junk shops, auctions, eBay for used archaeological
> or surveying versions?

Fortunately my ruler / scale turned up, it had fallen behind something.

It was made by Armor Forensics #6-3835

I get the impression that their website might have been taken over by
someone else.

Several sites show but all marked "unavailable"

Adam Funk

Aug 4, 2021, 7:15:04 AM8/4/21
On 2021-08-03, MB wrote:

> On 03/08/2021 17:15, Adam Funk wrote:
>> Maybe try antique/junk shops, auctions, eBay for used archaeological
>> or surveying versions?
>

> Fortunately my ruler / scale turned up, it had fallen behind something.

Lucky find!

> It was made by Armor Forensics #6-3835
>
> I get the impression that their website might have been taken over by
> someone else.
>
> Several sites show but all marked "unavailable"

Looks like an American product that can be shipped (though "soon" is
vague):

Price: $31.29 + No Import Fees Deposit & $6.73 Shipping to United
Kingdom

In stock soon.
Order it now.

<https://www.amazon.com/Armor-Forensics-3-Part-Folding-Metric/dp/B0087761MO>

MB

Aug 4, 2021, 7:31:40 AM8/4/21
On 04/08/2021 12:08, Adam Funk wrote:
> Lucky find!

It is what usually happens, I found a propelling pencil last night that
has been missing for some time - it was behind my desk.