Flower identification

Asha Santon

Jun 22, 2017, 7:32:18 AM6/22/17
The flower below is:

20cm tall (approx)
Not noticeably aromatic

http://nature.opcop.org.uk/eyren/flower2206.jpg

The location is not important as it grew from a packet of Suttons
Wildlife Garden Annual Mix sown in a container. The packet contains
"Cornflower, Corn Marigold, Poppy and other Wild Flowers"

This will be an 'other' then but it seems not to quite fit in with
descriptions in Blamey, Fitter, Fitter (or indeed with the earlier
Fitter, Fitter, Blamey)

Suggestions appreciated. I have two of my own but cannot agree with
myself, hence this post
Image is reduced in size but otherwise unedited so colour etc is 'as
is' on a cloudy but fairly bright day

--
Asha
minnies.opcop.org.uk

Bob Hobden

Jun 22, 2017, 11:35:07 AM6/22/17
On 22 Jun 2017 12:32, Asha Santon wrote:
> The flower below is:
>
> 20cm tall (approx)
> Not noticeably aromatic
>
> http://nature.opcop.org.uk/eyren/flower2206.jpg
>
> The location is not important as it grew from a packet of Suttons
> Wildlife Garden Annual Mix sown in a container. The packet contains
> "Cornflower, Corn Marigold, Poppy and other Wild Flowers"
>
> This will be an 'other' then but it seems not to quite fit in with
> descriptions in Blamey, Fitter, Fitter (or indeed with the earlier
> Fitter, Fitter, Blamey)
>
> Suggestions appreciated. I have two of my own but cannot agree with
> myself, hence this post
> Image is reduced in size but otherwise unedited so colour etc is 'as
> is' on a cloudy but fairly bright day

Looks like a "Dead Nettle" to me, do a search and look at the photos.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Asha Santon

Jun 22, 2017, 11:50:24 AM6/22/17
Thanks for the response.
I have been through the releveant pages of both the above mentioned books.

I was torn between Ground Ivy and Cut-leaved Dead Nettle but they
didn't quite fit.

I posted because if it is a dead-nettle then I couldn't decide which
one it might be.

Someone (elsewhere) has suggested Henbit Dead Nettle which is promising.
There is also a Northern Dead Nettle which is possible.

I resisted doing web searches as it yields generic results unless I
search for every possible species individually and there was always a
chance that someone may know.

Richard Torrens (News)

Jul 18, 2017, 9:27:03 AM7/18/17
In article <oig9l3$icl$1...@dont-email.me>,
Asha Santon <as...@santon.invalid> wrote:
> The flower below is:

> 20cm tall (approx)
> Not noticeably aromatic

> http://nature.opcop.org.uk/eyren/flower2206.jpg

> The location is not important as it grew from a packet of Suttons
> Wildlife Garden Annual Mix sown in a container. The packet contains
> "Cornflower, Corn Marigold, Poppy and other Wild Flowers"

> This will be an 'other' then but it seems not to quite fit in with
> descriptions in Blamey, Fitter, Fitter (or indeed with the earlier
> Fitter, Fitter, Blamey)

> Suggestions appreciated. I have two of my own but cannot agree with
> myself, hence this post
> Image is reduced in size but otherwise unedited so colour etc is 'as
> is' on a cloudy but fairly bright day

Looks like red dead nettle - Lamium purpureum.

You can usually easily contact your local flora recorder for plant id
http://bsbi.org/local-botany
they are generally interested and helpful.

Richard Torrens. News email address is valid - for a limited time only.
You must use the full News+...@Torrens.org as in the From address.
http://www.Torrens.org for genealogy, natural history, wild food, walks, cats
and more!

Tina

Aug 15, 2018, 2:24:38 PM8/15/18
It's not that, Bob, see the leaves. Nothing like.

Mike Coon

Aug 15, 2018, 2:37:16 PM8/15/18
In article <ftj9f2...@mid.individual.net>,
christin...@gmail.com says...
Has he been patiently waiting for more than a year????

Mike.