Beetles on sage

Tina

Jul 12, 2019, 3:41:43 PM7/12/19
Larva almost identical to ladybird but instead of yellow bits on the
back,red. Pupa are red and spotted, I watched one hatch out today, it
was bright yellow, exactly the size/shape of a ladybird. Any ideas
what it is?

Tina

Jul 15, 2019, 6:08:49 PM7/15/19
I identified it myself online today. Harlequin ladybird. All larva and
pupa will be squished tomorrow.

Bob Hobden

Jul 17, 2019, 5:54:31 PM7/17/19
Why? They have invaded the whole country and nothing will eradicate
them. They do the same job anyway.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Tina

Jul 18, 2019, 7:11:12 PM7/18/19
Because they carry a disease that they are immune to that can harm our
native ladybirds - somewhat like grey squirrels, and we all know what
happened there. Have a google.
So as much as I don't like harming anything, I picked off every sage
leaf that had a pupa or larva on, put them in a paper bag and into the
woodburner. For the sake of our native ladybirds.