Cinnabar moths

Christina Websell

Aug 7, 2015, 4:01:18 PM8/7/15
I know there is some debate about ragwort, as I heard you are obliged to
pull it up on your land if you have any, but a quick search online doesn't
make it clear.
However I always do, as I have a friend whose horse died from ragwort
poisoning. I have seen very angry online debates about it, some people
claiming that cinnabar caterpillars will eat nothing else.
Down on my veggie patch today, there were quite a few cinnabar caterpillars
chomping away on groundsel so the claim that ragwort is their only food
plant is not true.

Asha Santon

Aug 7, 2015, 5:23:19 PM8/7/15
This may help:
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=299

All five of the 'injurious weeds' grow happily in vast quatities in this
area (NE Scotland). There's lots of groundsel here too.

As for the moths, wiki has this (for what it's worth)
"Cinnabar moths can be found ... wherever its larval foodplant, ragwort
and groundsel, are present"
Both plants are Senecio spp (or were).

I can confirm I've never seen the moth or its caterpillar although I'll
probably do a double take on every 6 spot burnet for a while just in case.

--
A S #WE
http://nature.opcop.org.uk/fauna/483216583.htm

Bob Hobden

Aug 7, 2015, 5:57:07 PM8/7/15
"Christina Websell" wrote
My understanding is that Ragwort is only a problem if it is allowed to grow
where you are going to use the grass for hay/silage. Otherwise Horses will
not eat the fresh growing plant.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

MJC

Aug 7, 2015, 6:40:19 PM8/7/15
In article <d2knth...@mid.individual.net>, Bo...@invalid.com says...

> My understanding is that Ragwort is only a problem if it is allowed to
grow
> where you are going to use the grass for hay/silage. Otherwise Horses will
> not eat the fresh growing plant.

Not only is that my understanding too, but only the other week I noticed
a number of horses chomping away in a field that was liberally dotted
with ragwort. Which re-inforced my belief...

Mike.

Christina Websell

Aug 9, 2015, 12:11:29 PM8/9/15

"Bob Hobden" <Bo...@invalid.com> wrote in message
Yes, that is true but if you let it grow unchecked it seeds into hay
meadows.

Christina Websell

Aug 9, 2015, 12:20:00 PM8/9/15

"MJC" <gra...@mjcoon.plus.com> wrote in message
Your belief is quite correct, horses will not eat the growing plant but once
it's dried in hay they will and then they can get liver problems and die.
http://www.redwings.org.uk/welfare-horse-care-advice-ragwort.php