Germinating Sequoia seeds?

Michael Bell

Aug 20, 2015, 7:17:23 AM8/20/15
A friend of mine wants to become a kind of "Johnny Appleseed"
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Appleseed) only his target tree
is Sequoia and he wants to plant them in Northumberland. There are
many obstacles to be overcome, one of which is to make sure that the
seedlings are recognised for what they are and they are protected. But
the first step is to get seedlings to plant, and we have had problems
with that. How do you germinate them?

There is a plentiful supply of seeds from the trees at the
Minsteracres retreat centre, but he and I cannot get them to germinate
and grow. The cones with the seeds in them will start falling soon, so
now is the time to think about how to do it and get any materials and
equipment. We would be grateful for good advice.

Michael Bell

--

---

David B

Aug 20, 2015, 7:55:30 AM8/20/15
"Michael Bell" wrote in message

> A friend of mine wants to become a kind of "Johnny Appleseed"
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Appleseed) only his target tree
> is Sequoia and he wants to plant them in Northumberland.

Why on Earth would he want to do that?

> There are many obstacles to be overcome,

Good.

> one of which is to make sure that the
> seedlings are recognised for what they are and they are protected.

Why would a non-native species be protected?

> But the first step is to get seedlings to plant, and we have had problems
> with that. How do you germinate them?

Plant them in North America.

> There is a plentiful supply of seeds from the trees at the
> Minsteracres retreat centre, but he and I cannot get them to germinate
> and grow. The cones with the seeds in them will start falling soon, so
> now is the time to think about how to do it and get any materials and
> equipment. We would be grateful for good advice.

Plant them in North America.

--
David B

Malcolm Ogilvie

Aug 20, 2015, 8:54:43 AM8/20/15

A local landowner has just planted c.25,000 trees on some old pastureland under a carbon
sesquestration scheme which means that the deerproof fencing, most of the planting costs
and, I think, the cost of the trees were grant-aided.

I assumed that it would all be native trees, and there are indeed a good majority of
birch, Scot's pine, hawthorn, oak, ash and alder, but also Sequoia, Eucalyptus (only a
few), and Japanese Red Oak!

Malcolm

Asha Santon

Aug 20, 2015, 12:38:46 PM8/20/15
On 20/08/15 12:17, Michael Bell wrote:
> A friend of mine wants to become a kind of "Johnny Appleseed"

Tell him to become himself instead. He'll be much happier.

Never introduce alien species just because some fool did it back in the
old days when no one knew better or cared. It isn't cool. If in doubt,
go cane toad hunting in Australia.

Tell your friend to have a (sensible) idea of his own instead.

--
http://nature.opcop.org.uk
http://pictures.opcop.org.uk

David B