Grey squirrels

Asha Santon

Feb 26, 2016, 2:22:07 PM2/26/16
Is it legal to shoot them?

I think my area is largely free of them these days but just wondered,
as one does.

MJC

Feb 26, 2016, 2:29:38 PM2/26/16
In article <naq8fa$fnd$1...@dont-email.me>, as...@santon.invalid says...

> Is it legal to shoot them?
>
> I think my area is largely free of them these days but just wondered,
> as one does.

In the UK, presumably? You could check with the police, but I think that
"humane" killing is OK. I know that capture and release is not legal,
though I know (ahem) people who have done that...

Probably the gun is of more sensitive legality than the squirrel!

Mike.

Asha Santon

Feb 26, 2016, 3:15:14 PM2/26/16
Ah thanks for that.
Locally, grey squirrels have been captured in traps (by 'the
authorities') and what happens to them afterwards is rather vague.
As I know of no place which is a net importer of grey squirrels, I
assume they take them out the back and exterminate them.
As I said, there seem to be none left here but I am just curious.
The gun is only an issue in the absence of a licence :) That said, I
am not quite daft enough to walk into the local police office and ask
if I can wander about shooting stuff.
Licensing of air guns will begin here this year, never mind those that
go 'bang'.

--
Asha
nature.opcop.org.uk

MJC

Feb 26, 2016, 6:57:43 PM2/26/16
In article <naqbit$s4c$1...@dont-email.me>, as...@santon.invalid says...

> The gun is only an issue in the absence of a licence :)

I have no interest in guns, but I hope there are all sorts of
constraints on where you can go wandering around firing them off, even
if licensed.

Mike.

Asha Santon

Feb 27, 2016, 5:27:41 AM2/27/16
Of course there are, yes. Not in public places, obviously.
They are very common in farming communities so nothing special.

--
Asha
nature.opcop.org.uk

MJC

Feb 27, 2016, 11:31:58 AM2/27/16
In article <narth8$d5e$1...@dont-email.me>, as...@santon.invalid says...
> nature.opcop.org.uk

Thanks for the gallery link.

Mike.

Christina Websell

Feb 27, 2016, 12:30:58 PM2/27/16

"Asha Santon" <as...@santon.invalid> wrote in message
> Is it legal to shoot them?
>
> I think my area is largely free of them these days but just wondered, as
> one does.

Yes, it's legal in the UK. Although do google the law on it for welfare
standards.