This *has* to take the Lusers prize

Rope

Dec 4, 2004, 6:42:02 AM12/4/04
An Old Bloke called - "I've bought a new printer, could you
set it up for me?"

Went around on Wednesday evening, unpacked, assembled,
plugged in, installed Epson software, printed a test page,
all OK.

OB: "I need it to print out the book I am writing, and the
old one was no good - could you show me how it works?"

I ask where his book is, he puts in a floppy disk and opens
it up with Word - I print 1st 2 pages, everything
hunky-dory, off I toddle, and easy £20.

Picked up some voice-mails yesterday. 1st from the man with
the printer timed at 17:30 Thursday "This printer you
installed for me doesn't work - could you please come
around and fix it?"

then another at 08:30 Friday, more stroppy - "You haven't
got back to me, this printer is *still* not working, could
you send someone around to fix it properly!"

So I rang him and asked what was happening.....
"When I turn it on, it starts, then stops, and nothing
prints. And the light stays on. There is paper in it, but
it doesn't print my book!"

???

Me: "OK, what happens when you open a file and ask it to
print, do any messages pop up on the screen?"

OldBloke: "Heh? do I have to have the computer turned on?"

<thud>

--
Rob_P
UKRM(at)indqualtec.co.uk

Andy Bonwick

Dec 4, 2004, 7:00:15 AM12/4/04
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 11:42:02 GMT, Rope <sp...@ukrm.net> wrote:

>An Old Bloke called - "I've bought a new printer, could you
>set it up for me?"
>
>Went around on Wednesday evening, unpacked, assembled,
>plugged in, installed Epson software, printed a test page,
>all OK.
>
>OB: "I need it to print out the book I am writing, and the
>old one was no good - could you show me how it works?"
>
>I ask where his book is, he puts in a floppy disk and opens
>it up with Word - I print 1st 2 pages, everything
>hunky-dory, off I toddle, and easy £20.

You charged an old bloke £20 to set up his printer? You thieving
cunt.

--
Andy Bonwick
ZX9RE1

Ovenpaa

Dec 4, 2004, 6:58:29 AM12/4/04
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 11:42:02 +0000, Rope babbled on about:

I think we could all write a book on dim single users that are too stupid
to own a computer. My current favourite is when I get told someone has
been 'hacked' and they now have a GBP50 phone bill, a quick analysis
shows a porn dialler that just happened to appear for no reason.

All time low was trying to explain to my Mother over the phone how to use
a diskette.

--
/d

Ovenpaa

Dec 4, 2004, 7:00:14 AM12/4/04
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 12:00:15 +0000, Andy Bonwick babbled on about:

>>I ask where his book is, he puts in a floppy disk and opens
>>it up with Word - I print 1st 2 pages, everything
>>hunky-dory, off I toddle, and easy £20.
>
> You charged an old bloke £20 to set up his printer? You thieving
> cunt.

You work for free? come and do my headlight.

--
/d

Preston Kemp

Dec 4, 2004, 7:03:36 AM12/4/04
Rope wrote:

> Me: "OK, what happens when you open a file and ask it to
> print, do any messages pop up on the screen?"
>
> OldBloke: "Heh? do I have to have the computer turned on?"
>
> <thud>

Bless! Although to be fair, my new PC can play music CDs without being
booted up, & there are plenty of printers that can print from digital
cards without using a PC, so it's not really *that* fuckwitted a
mistake. He's just a little ahead of his time ;)

--
Preston.

http://www.muddystuff.co.uk
Off-road classifieds

'02 MV Senna '96 Tiger '79 Fantic 250

Andy Bonwick

Dec 4, 2004, 7:15:59 AM12/4/04

This is on the Triumph?

Actually I'd willingly come and help but someone nicked my van this
morning and no doubt it's sitting in a backstreet of Liverpool by
now having the wheels removed.

Mike

Dec 4, 2004, 7:11:29 AM12/4/04
Rope <sp...@ukrm.net> wrote:

>An Old Bloke called - "I've bought a new printer, could you
>set it up for me?"

<full story>

>So I rang him and asked what was happening.....
>"When I turn it on, it starts, then stops, and nothing
>prints. And the light stays on. There is paper in it, but
>it doesn't print my book!"
>
>???
>
>Me: "OK, what happens when you open a file and ask it to
>print, do any messages pop up on the screen?"
>
>OldBloke: "Heh? do I have to have the computer turned on?"
>
><thud>

And how many women have telephoned their computer supplier to ask
why "this damn pedal doesn't work"?

Ovenpaa

Dec 4, 2004, 7:17:16 AM12/4/04
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 12:15:59 +0000, Andy Bonwick babbled on about:

> Actually I'd willingly come and help but someone nicked my van this
> morning and no doubt it's sitting in a backstreet of Liverpool by
> now having the wheels removed.

Feck, this was from home?

--
/d

Sorby

Dec 4, 2004, 7:23:42 AM12/4/04
"Rope" <sp...@ukrm.net> wrote in message

> An Old Bloke called - "I've bought a new printer, could you
> set it up for me?"
<snip>

> OldBloke: "Heh? do I have to have the computer turned on?"

My favourite stupid-user anecdote concerns an old duffer employed as
personal secretary to a district council chief exec.
On receiving a 'TONER LOW' warning message on the laser printer's LCD he
decided to top up the toner cartridge with .... water.

Another incident was my fault entirely. A user asked me to change their
toner cartridge but I decided to give the cartridge the obligatory shake in
order to level out and use what little toner was left.
Unfortunately I dropped it, hittting the corner of the desk, whereupon it
cracked open and spilled its contents into ... the user's handbag lying open
on the floor!!
To compound our collective misery, when I attempted to vaccuum up the spilt
toner, the toner was so fine it just blew straight through the vaccuum bag
and covered the entire office and several staff with a fine layer of sooty
black stuff.

I'll save the shredder story for another day.

--
Sorby

Andy Bonwick

Dec 4, 2004, 7:31:26 AM12/4/04

Yeah. I'll kick Adies arse if she doesn't bring it back safely.

steve auvache

Dec 4, 2004, 7:25:29 AM12/4/04
Andy Bonwick wrote

>On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 12:00:14 +0000, Ovenpaa
><tagmignu*FOS*@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 12:00:15 +0000, Andy Bonwick babbled on about:

>>> You charged an old bloke £20 to set up his printer? You thieving
>>> cunt.
>>
>>You work for free? come and do my headlight.
>
>This is on the Triumph?
>
>Actually I'd willingly come and help but someone nicked my van this
>morning and no doubt it's sitting in a backstreet of Liverpool by
>now having the wheels removed.

Bastards.

Still, on the bright side, that is one less cuntinavan on the road for
the rest of us to worry about.

--
steve auvache <in...@vanityvideo.co.uk>
MZ TS150: (on holiday in the country) for sale.

Rope

Dec 4, 2004, 7:39:03 AM12/4/04
Andy Bonwick spoke:

> You charged an old bloke £20 to set up his printer? You thieving
> cunt.

Sniffs.... swims away.

Andy Bonwick

Dec 4, 2004, 7:44:04 AM12/4/04
On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 12:25:29 +0000, steve auvache
<dont...@thecow.me.uk> wrote:

>Andy Bonwick wrote
>>On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 12:00:14 +0000, Ovenpaa
>><tagmignu*FOS*@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 12:00:15 +0000, Andy Bonwick babbled on about:

>>>You work for free? come and do my headlight.
>>
>>This is on the Triumph?
>>
>>Actually I'd willingly come and help but someone nicked my van this
>>morning and no doubt it's sitting in a backstreet of Liverpool by
>>now having the wheels removed.
>
>Bastards.
>
>Still, on the bright side, that is one less cuntinavan on the road for
>the rest of us to worry about.

I'd better admit at this point that Adie borrowed the van to go to
Liverpool because her manky old Astra is currently being fixed by
that nice bloke with ginga hair.

steve auvache

Dec 4, 2004, 7:42:17 AM12/4/04
Andy Bonwick wrote

>On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 12:25:29 +0000, steve auvache
>>
>>Bastards.

>I'd better admit at this point that Adie borrowed the van to go to
>Liverpool because her manky old Astra is currently being fixed by
>that nice bloke with ginga hair.

Is that wise, has it been explained to him in grunts of one syllable or
less that he is not to be using any cutting tools?

Andy Bonwick

Dec 4, 2004, 7:54:05 AM12/4/04
On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 12:42:17 +0000, steve auvache
<dont...@thecow.me.uk> wrote:

>Andy Bonwick wrote
>>On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 12:25:29 +0000, steve auvache
>>>
>>>Bastards.
>>>
>>I'd better admit at this point that Adie borrowed the van to go to
>>Liverpool because her manky old Astra is currently being fixed by
>>that nice bloke with ginga hair.
>
>Is that wise, has it been explained to him in grunts of one syllable or
>less that he is not to be using any cutting tools?

It's a lot wiser than me doing it because I'd be giving it some with
a sledge hammer and an oxy-acetylene set. I'm not the best person to
let loose on important bits like brakes.

Andy Hewitt

Dec 4, 2004, 7:51:49 AM12/4/04
Sorby <sorby69_R...@gmail.com> wrote:

ROFLOL - class.

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Honda Civic 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)

Bear

Dec 4, 2004, 7:59:42 AM12/4/04
In article <g6c3r05245903ucm1...@4ax.com>, Andy Bonwick
says...

> I'd better admit at this point that Adie borrowed the van to go to
> Liverpool because her manky old Astra is currently being fixed by
> that nice bloke with ginga hair.

Even *I* worked that one out.
--
Bear
"Don't believe the hype"

Andy Bonwick

Dec 4, 2004, 8:08:13 AM12/4/04
On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 12:59:42 -0000, Bear <bastard...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>In article <g6c3r05245903ucm1...@4ax.com>, Andy Bonwick
>says...
>
>> I'd better admit at this point that Adie borrowed the van to go to
>> Liverpool because her manky old Astra is currently being fixed by
>> that nice bloke with ginga hair.
>
>Even *I* worked that one out.

It's bad when you have to spell it out clearly. The two muppets who
were confused know she goes to the football so they've no excuse.

jsp

Dec 4, 2004, 8:04:14 AM12/4/04
Rope wrote:

> An Old Bloke called - "I've bought a new printer, could you
> set it up for me?"
>
> Went around on Wednesday evening, unpacked, assembled,
> plugged in, installed Epson software, printed a test page,
> all OK.
>
> OB: "I need it to print out the book I am writing, and the

> old one was no good - *could you show me how it works?*"

> Me: "OK, what happens when you open a file and ask it to
> print, do any messages pop up on the screen?"
>
> OldBloke: "Heh? do I have to have the computer turned on?"

So, let's get this straight.

Some Oldbloke [1] asks you to set up a printer *and* show him how it
works. You instal it, print two pages and charge him £20.

Later, it transpires you *haven't* shown him how it works.

Shoddy service I say.

[1] presumably not of ukrm fame

--
John

SV650
Black it is
and naked

jsp

Dec 4, 2004, 8:05:50 AM12/4/04
Sorby wrote:

> Another incident was my fault entirely. A user asked me to change their
> toner cartridge but I decided to give the cartridge the obligatory shake in
> order to level out and use what little toner was left.
> Unfortunately I dropped it, hittting the corner of the desk, whereupon it
> cracked open and spilled its contents into ... the user's handbag lying open
> on the floor!!
> To compound our collective misery, when I attempted to vaccuum up the spilt
> toner, the toner was so fine it just blew straight through the vaccuum bag
> and covered the entire office and several staff with a fine layer of sooty
> black stuff.

Heh, this is so close to something which happened at my place, I'm going
to purloin it, if you don't object.

Muck

Dec 4, 2004, 8:07:48 AM12/4/04
Andy Bonwick wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 11:42:02 GMT, Rope <sp...@ukrm.net> wrote:
>

>>An Old Bloke called - "I've bought a new printer, could you
>>set it up for me?"
>>
>>Went around on Wednesday evening, unpacked, assembled,
>>plugged in, installed Epson software, printed a test page,
>>all OK.
>>
>>OB: "I need it to print out the book I am writing, and the
>>old one was no good - could you show me how it works?"
>>
>>I ask where his book is, he puts in a floppy disk and opens
>>it up with Word - I print 1st 2 pages, everything
>>hunky-dory, off I toddle, and easy £20.
>

> You charged an old bloke £20 to set up his printer? You thieving
> cunt.

That's good.. the cowboys I worked for would have charged £58.75 for the
same thing.

--
Bandit 600; CG125; FZR250RR; DS#1 ; DOMO#1 ; SH#2 ; SKoGA#7 ; BOMB#16
"CG125 the most fun you can have at Mach 0.08539"

Bear

Dec 4, 2004, 8:06:33 AM12/4/04
In article <31doj9F...@individual.net>, Sorby says...

> Another incident was my fault entirely. A user asked me to change their
> toner cartridge but I decided to give the cartridge the obligatory shake in
> order to level out and use what little toner was left.
> Unfortunately I dropped it, hittting the corner of the desk, whereupon it
> cracked open and spilled its contents into ... the user's handbag lying open
> on the floor!!
> To compound our collective misery, when I attempted to vaccuum up the spilt
> toner, the toner was so fine it just blew straight through the vaccuum bag
> and covered the entire office and several staff with a fine layer of sooty
> black stuff.

*applause*

My best effort, about 18 years ago, was getting some (admittedly very
poorly written) instructions mixed up in my head and confidently backing
up a fucked system onto the only good archive tape we had ...
particularly impressive considering the number of "there's data on this
FOAD reel of tape, are you *sure* you want to overwrite it? Really sure?
Super really sure?" ... with me sat there in dummy mode, pressing the
"Y" key like a lab rat after a food pellet.

Happy days, happy days :)

Andy Bonwick

Dec 4, 2004, 8:14:21 AM12/4/04

I'd describe it more as scandalous. I reckon it's ok to rip off
companies but if an old bloke (his words) asks for something as
simple as that then a cuppa or a can of beer while the jobs being
done would be about right.

Colonel Tupperware

Dec 4, 2004, 8:07:06 AM12/4/04
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 11:42:02 GMT, Rope <sp...@ukrm.net> wrote:

>An Old Bloke called - "I've bought a new printer, could you
>set it up for me?"

What a strange name, even for an old bloke.

--
ColonelTupperware,
spouting bollocks on Usenet since 1997

jsp

Dec 4, 2004, 8:09:45 AM12/4/04
Bear wrote:

> My best effort, about 18 years ago, was getting some (admittedly very
> poorly written) instructions mixed up in my head and confidently backing
> up a fucked system onto the only good archive tape we had ...
> particularly impressive considering the number of "there's data on this
> FOAD reel of tape, are you *sure* you want to overwrite it? Really sure?
> Super really sure?" ... with me sat there in dummy mode, pressing the
> "Y" key like a lab rat after a food pellet.

:-) I like the lab rat bit.

I did much the same when trying to amend an entire menu system on a
school network (back in the days of Dos and Basic)

I got confused and wiped out the original, and only currenlty working
version and ended up almost having to start it all again from scratch.

What made it worse was the fact I wasn't supposed to be fiddling with it
in the first place :(

Lozzo

Dec 4, 2004, 8:11:08 AM12/4/04
Andy Bonwick said...

> I'd describe it more as scandalous. I reckon it's ok to rip off
> companies but if an old bloke (his words) asks for something as
> simple as that then a cuppa or a can of beer while the jobs being
> done would be about right.

It's even more scandalous when you take into account that this happened
up north, where 20 quid is two weeks wages.

--
Lozzo: The SpeedySpic
In cunnis confidimus

Bear

Dec 4, 2004, 8:14:10 AM12/4/04
In article <MPG.1c1bc7c3...@news.individual.net>, Lozzo
says...

> Andy Bonwick said...
>
> > I'd describe it more as scandalous. I reckon it's ok to rip off
> > companies but if an old bloke (his words) asks for something as
> > simple as that then a cuppa or a can of beer while the jobs being
> > done would be about right.
>
> It's even more scandalous when you take into account that this happened
> up north, where 20 quid is two weeks wages.

*waves*

Andy Bonwick

Dec 4, 2004, 8:20:13 AM12/4/04
On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 13:11:08 -0000, Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk>
wrote:

>Andy Bonwick said...
>
>> I'd describe it more as scandalous. I reckon it's ok to rip off
>> companies but if an old bloke (his words) asks for something as
>> simple as that then a cuppa or a can of beer while the jobs being
>> done would be about right.
>
>It's even more scandalous when you take into account that this happened
>up north, where 20 quid is two weeks wages.

The average wage up there has increased dramatically since they
started bringing in the much needed skills from south of Watford
Gap.

jsp

Dec 4, 2004, 8:24:26 AM12/4/04
Bear wrote:
> Lozzo says...

>>It's even more scandalous when you take into account that this happened
>>up north, where 20 quid is two weeks wages.
>
> *waves*

Are you waving because you're 'up north', or because you consider Ł20 to
be two week's wages?

Lozzo

Dec 4, 2004, 8:29:58 AM12/4/04
jsp said...

> Bear wrote:
> > Lozzo says...
>
> >>It's even more scandalous when you take into account that this happened
> >>up north, where 20 quid is two weeks wages.
> >
> > *waves*
>
> Are you waving because you're 'up north', or because you consider £20 to
> be two week's wages?

Andy's rich. He gets 20 quid *each* week.

Andy Bonwick

Dec 4, 2004, 8:40:48 AM12/4/04
On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 13:29:58 -0000, Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk>
wrote:

>jsp said...
>> Bear wrote:
>> > Lozzo says...

>> > *waves*
>>
>> Are you waving because you're 'up north', or because you consider £20 to
>> be two week's wages?
>
>Andy's rich. He gets 20 quid *each* week.

Yeah but I fiddle an extra tenner on my expenses which bumps it up
to a reasonable level.

Bear

Dec 4, 2004, 8:36:56 AM12/4/04
In article <MPG.1c1bcc31b...@news.individual.net>, Lozzo
says...

> jsp said...
> > Bear wrote:
> > > Lozzo says...

> > > *waves*
> >
> > Are you waving because you're 'up north', or because you consider £20 to
> > be two week's wages?
>
> Andy's rich. He gets 20 quid *each* week.

Read the attributes, YTC.

Rope

Dec 4, 2004, 8:39:02 AM12/4/04
Andy Bonwick spoke:

> >Later, it transpires you *haven't* shown him how it works.
> >
> >Shoddy service I say.
> >
> I'd describe it more as scandalous. I reckon it's ok to rip off
> companies but if an old bloke (his words) asks for something as
> simple as that then a cuppa or a can of beer while the jobs being
> done would be about right.

OK, I hate playing this game, it is basically stupid, but just in
case you are not fishing:

a) I didn't just 'show him how it works', I spent the best part of
1.1/2 hours, setting up the printer, explaining how to turn it on,
load paper, change ink, open files and printing them. I did what I
usually to with these people, and had him then actually do what I
had just shown him to make sure he understood.

b) - I am self employed. This is a part of how I make my living.
Charging Ł20 is not scandalous, if anything it was not enough, but
I was standing in for a colleague who normally does this sort of
thing, but is on holiday.

Do you do whatever it is you do for your employer for a cuppa or a
can of beer?

Mike

Dec 4, 2004, 8:44:32 AM12/4/04
Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> wrote:

>jsp said...
>> Bear wrote:
>> > Lozzo says...

>>=20
>=20

>> >=20
>> > *waves*
>>=20
>> Are you waving because you're 'up north', or because you consider =A320 t=
>o=20

>> be two week's wages?
>
>Andy's rich. He gets 20 quid *each* week.
>

>--=20

>Lozzo: The SpeedySpic
>In cunnis confidimus
>ZX-9R

Lozzo, do us a favour mate.. Change this...

to this..

Cheers.

Message has been deleted

Andy Bonwick

Dec 4, 2004, 8:54:41 AM12/4/04
On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 13:42:35 +0000, genuine_froggie
<genuine...@zeouane.org> wrote:

>Rope <sp...@ukrm.net> wrote:
>> Andy Bonwick spoke:

>>> I'd describe it more as scandalous. I reckon it's ok to rip off
>>> companies but if an old bloke (his words) asks for something as
>>> simple as that then a cuppa or a can of beer while the jobs being
>>> done would be about right.
>>
>> OK, I hate playing this game, it is basically stupid, but just in
>> case you are not fishing:
>>
>> a) I didn't just 'show him how it works', I spent the best part of
>> 1.1/2 hours, setting up the printer, explaining how to turn it on,
>> load paper, change ink, open files and printing them. I did what I
>> usually to with these people, and had him then actually do what I
>> had just shown him to make sure he understood.
>>
>> b) - I am self employed. This is a part of how I make my living.

>> Charging £20 is not scandalous, if anything it was not enough, but

>> I was standing in for a colleague who normally does this sort of
>> thing, but is on holiday.
>>
>> Do you do whatever it is you do for your employer for a cuppa or a
>> can of beer?
>

>Well I fixed my burd's cousin's PC, and didn't ask for any dosh. She even
>offered me 'a present', but I sort of backed out of the flat, insisting,
>'no, it's OK ...'

Had she just stepped off the ugly bus or was there a deeper reason?

Andy Bonwick

Dec 4, 2004, 8:57:03 AM12/4/04
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 13:39:02 GMT, Rope <sp...@ukrm.net> wrote:
snip>

>Do you do whatever it is you do for your employer for a cuppa or a
>can of beer?

Nope. I work for them for money and nothing else.

I do favours for other people for free or a few beers because I
work on the principle that one day they might help someone else for
the same sort of charge.

Do you pay tax on these "earners" of yours?

Lozzo

Dec 4, 2004, 8:52:02 AM12/4/04
Mike said...
> Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> wrote:

> Lozzo, do us a favour mate.. Change this...

> to this..

How and why should I do that with Gravity?

I've set this version up exactly the same as every other version I've
used, is it a fault at my end or Mike's?

Bear

Dec 4, 2004, 9:10:05 AM12/4/04
In article <MPG.1c1bd1621...@news.individual.net>, Lozzo
says...

> Mike said...
> > Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Lozzo, do us a favour mate.. Change this...

> > to this..

> How and why should I do that with Gravity?
>
> I've set this version up exactly the same as every other version I've
> used, is it a fault at my end or Mike's?

Looks fine to me, but then I use gravity too.

Catman

Dec 4, 2004, 9:19:48 AM12/4/04
Rope wrote:

> Andy Bonwick spoke:
>> >Later, it transpires you *haven't* shown him how it works.
>> >
>> >Shoddy service I say.
>> >
>> I'd describe it more as scandalous. I reckon it's ok to rip off
>> companies but if an old bloke (his words) asks for something as
>> simple as that then a cuppa or a can of beer while the jobs being
>> done would be about right.
>
> OK, I hate playing this game, it is basically stupid, but just in
> case you are not fishing:
>
> a) I didn't just 'show him how it works', I spent the best part of
> 1.1/2 hours, setting up the printer, explaining how to turn it on,
> load paper, change ink, open files and printing them. I did what I
> usually to with these people, and had him then actually do what I
> had just shown him to make sure he understood.

He just didn't listen. BTDT

> b) - I am self employed. This is a part of how I make my living.

> Charging £20 is not scandalous, if anything it was not enough, but

> I was standing in for a colleague who normally does this sort of
> thing, but is on holiday.

I'd say it was a bloody good deal, depending on how far you had to travel
to do it.
Try getting a plumber out for that kind of money.
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk

Statto

Dec 4, 2004, 9:21:31 AM12/4/04
On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 13:52:02 -0000, Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk>
wrote:

>From: Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk>
>Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
>Subject: Re: This *has* to take the Lusers prize
>Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 13:52:02 -0000

>Mike said...
>> Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Lozzo, do us a favour mate.. Change this...

>> to this..

>How and why should I do that with Gravity?

You don't need to, according to the full set of headers up there,

--
Statto
ZRX1200S GT750 VFR750

John Higgins

Dec 4, 2004, 9:22:31 AM12/4/04
Bear wrote:

> In article <MPG.1c1bd1621...@news.individual.net>, Lozzo
> says...
> > Mike said...
> > > Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > Lozzo, do us a favour mate.. Change this...

> > > to this..

> > How and why should I do that with Gravity?
> >
> > I've set this version up exactly the same as every other version
> > I've used, is it a fault at my end or Mike's?
>
> Looks fine to me, but then I use gravity too.

Fine on Xananews, looks like Mike may have the problem.

--
John
'00 SV650S

Catman

Dec 4, 2004, 9:25:06 AM12/4/04
Andy Bonwick wrote:

> On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 13:39:02 GMT, Rope <sp...@ukrm.net> wrote:
> snip>
>>
>>Do you do whatever it is you do for your employer for a cuppa or a
>>can of beer?
>
> Nope. I work for them for money and nothing else.
>
> I do favours for other people for free or a few beers because I
> work on the principle that one day they might help someone else for
> the same sort of charge.

There's a huge difference between doing a favour for someone, and making
your own living.

Had I been contaced by a client to come and install a printer, I'd have
certainly made a similar charge that Rope did. I probably would have
thrown in 12 months support as well, and not charged for any return visits
because he didn't understand me though. (Not saying that Rope did)

Also, bear in mind that whiel doing this work for this 'old bloke' (which
doesn't inherently mean that he is in any way poor, or unable to pay) I'm
not able to work for clients that require larger / more profitable / more
complex jobs. I'd have done it cos I hate turning down any kind of
portential client. Small jobs well done lead to larger jobs and so on.

> Do you pay tax on these "earners" of yours?

Well, I can't speak for Rope, but if it was me the company will be paying
tax at the end of the year (well it won't but it would have if it had made
more than 10k profit) and *I* will pay tax on the money that the company
pays me, together with NIC as calculated by the handy little disc the IRS
sends us each year.

Catman

Dec 4, 2004, 9:24:57 AM12/4/04
Bear wrote:

Did that with Ghost recently and a misplaced BIOS disk detection recently,
followed my format....

OTOH I can thoroughly recommend 'Recover my files' as a nifty bit of
software that is very aptly named, and resonably priced.

Champ

Dec 4, 2004, 9:39:18 AM12/4/04
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 13:44:32 +0000, Mike <n...@privacy.net> wrote:

>Lozzo, do us a favour mate.. Change this...

>to this..

Why? It's fine with Agent.
--
Champ
I don't know, but I've been told, never slow down, you never grow old

Tim

Dec 4, 2004, 9:37:04 AM12/4/04
In message <ofb3r01ktjoc6a972...@4ax.com>, Andy Bonwick
<nos...@bonwick.me.uk> writes
>On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 12:17:16 +0000, Ovenpaa
><tagmignu*FOS*@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 12:15:59 +0000, Andy Bonwick babbled on about:
>>

>>> Actually I'd willingly come and help but someone nicked my van this
>>> morning and no doubt it's sitting in a backstreet of Liverpool by
>>> now having the wheels removed.
>>

>>Feck, this was from home?
>
>Yeah. I'll kick Adies arse if she doesn't bring it back safely.

Rather depends on the footie result doesn't it?
--
Tim
http://www.stopharlownorth.com/

jsp

Dec 4, 2004, 9:41:13 AM12/4/04
Lozzo wrote:

> Mike said...
>
>>Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Lozzo, do us a favour mate.. Change this...

>>to this..

> How and why should I do that with Gravity?
>
> I've set this version up exactly the same as every other version I've
> used, is it a fault at my end or Mike's?

Looks and works fine for me, using Netscape.

jsp

Dec 4, 2004, 9:47:38 AM12/4/04
Rope wrote:

> Andy Bonwick spoke:
>
>>>Later, it transpires you *haven't* shown him how it works.
>>>
>>>Shoddy service I say.
>>>

>>I'd describe it more as scandalous. I reckon it's ok to rip off
>>companies but if an old bloke (his words) asks for something as
>>simple as that then a cuppa or a can of beer while the jobs being
>>done would be about right.
>

> OK, I hate playing this game, it is basically stupid, but just in
> case you are not fishing:

Hey, can you *say* that? "just in case you are not fishing"?

> a) I didn't just 'show him how it works',

You've missquoted me here. I didn't say "just", I saud "*and*"

> I spent the best part of
> 1.1/2 hours, setting up the printer, explaining how to turn it on,
> load paper, change ink, open files and printing them. I did what I
> usually to with these people, and had him then actually do what I
> had just shown him to make sure he understood.

Except turn the computer on, it seems ;)

> b) - I am self employed. This is a part of how I make my living.
> Charging Ł20 is not scandalous, if anything it was not enough, but
> I was standing in for a colleague who normally does this sort of
> thing, but is on holiday.
>
> Do you do whatever it is you do for your employer for a cuppa or a
> can of beer?

This bit seems to pertain to Andy's post.

Nigel Eaton

Dec 4, 2004, 9:51:14 AM12/4/04
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 12:39:03 GMT, Rope <sp...@ukrm.net> wrote:

>Andy Bonwick spoke:
>> You charged an old bloke £20 to set up his printer? You thieving
>> cunt.
>
>Sniffs.... swims away.

Damned right. Don't respond to that unless you're getting paid.

--
Nigel - Manufacturer of the "Champion-105" range of rearsets

WS* GHPOTHUF#24 APOSTLE#14 DLC#1 COFF#20 BOTAFOT#150 HYPO#0(KoTL) IbW#41
ZZR1100, Enfield 500 Curry House Racer "The Basmati Rice Burner",
Honda GL1000K2 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager "Oh, Oh, It's so big"

Pip

Dec 4, 2004, 9:57:47 AM12/4/04
Andy Bonwick <nos...@bonwick.me.uk> struggled to ejaculate:

>I'd better admit at this point that Adie borrowed the van to go to
>Liverpool because her manky old Astra is currently being fixed by
>that nice bloke with ginga hair.

Can you break it to her that she'd best add a pair of discs to the
bill? That "noise like an aeroplane" was the outer n/s/r pad
self-destructing and it took the disc with it. Those cunts that
serviced it could have fucking mentioned that.

<hears kettle click, fucks off back outside with steaming coffee>

--
Pip, Ex - Hairy Gfedcker. RF 900RR, Ruff and Rattly.
WS* DFWAG#0 IbW#27* DIAABTCOD#15 GP#0 EKP FUB#4 MKA+E#3

Pip

Dec 4, 2004, 9:59:11 AM12/4/04
Andy Bonwick <nos...@bonwick.me.uk> struggled to ejaculate:

>On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 11:42:02 GMT, Rope <sp...@ukrm.net> wrote:

>>I ask where his book is, he puts in a floppy disk and opens
>>it up with Word - I print 1st 2 pages, everything
>>hunky-dory, off I toddle, and easy £20.

>You charged an old bloke £20 to set up his printer? You thieving
>cunt.

I hope the old bloke keeps chickens.

Andy Bonwick

Dec 4, 2004, 10:39:20 AM12/4/04

Well yes but I'm entitled to a little bit of bravado don't you
think?

Andy Bonwick

Dec 4, 2004, 10:45:38 AM12/4/04
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 14:25:06 GMT, Catman
<cat...@cuore-rustsportivo.co.uk> wrote:

>Andy Bonwick wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 13:39:02 GMT, Rope <sp...@ukrm.net> wrote:
>> snip>
>>>
>>>Do you do whatever it is you do for your employer for a cuppa or a
>>>can of beer?
>>
>> Nope. I work for them for money and nothing else.
>>
>> I do favours for other people for free or a few beers because I
>> work on the principle that one day they might help someone else for
>> the same sort of charge.
>>

>There's a huge difference between doing a favour for someone, and making
>your own living.

So because I'm (allegedly) some kind of a mechanical engineer I
should start charging if someone asks for a hand to do what I look
on as a simple task? There'd be a few people around here owe me some
money if that was the case. The same goes for one or two others I
could name.

>Had I been contaced by a client to come and install a printer, I'd have
>certainly made a similar charge that Rope did. I probably would have
>thrown in 12 months support as well, and not charged for any return visits
>because he didn't understand me though. (Not saying that Rope did)

He didn't really make it clear if the bloke was someone that had
answered an advert advertising "sevices" or if it was someone who
just asked if he could help out.

>Also, bear in mind that whiel doing this work for this 'old bloke' (which
>doesn't inherently mean that he is in any way poor, or unable to pay) I'm
>not able to work for clients that require larger / more profitable / more
>complex jobs. I'd have done it cos I hate turning down any kind of
>portential client. Small jobs well done lead to larger jobs and so on.

I'm a great believer that small jobs lead to larger jobs but setting
up someones printer isn't likely to lead to a retirement fund is it?

Tim

Dec 4, 2004, 10:50:54 AM12/4/04
In message <vfm3r0ltpnct4uap3...@4ax.com>, Andy Bonwick
<nos...@bonwick.me.uk> writes
>On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 14:37:04 +0000, Tim
><t...@nospam.osvif.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>In message <ofb3r01ktjoc6a972...@4ax.com>, Andy Bonwick
>><nos...@bonwick.me.uk> writes

>>>Yeah. I'll kick Adies arse if she doesn't bring it back safely.
>>
>>Rather depends on the footie result doesn't it?
>
>Well yes but I'm entitled to a little bit of bravado don't you
>think?

I think you should deserve a nice quiet afternoon with a beer and the
rugby on tv.
--
Tim
http://www.stopharlownorth.com/

Catman

Dec 4, 2004, 10:58:51 AM12/4/04
Andy Bonwick wrote:

> On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 14:25:06 GMT, Catman
> <cat...@cuore-rustsportivo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Andy Bonwick wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 13:39:02 GMT, Rope <sp...@ukrm.net> wrote:
>>> snip>

>>> Nope. I work for them for money and nothing else.
>>>
>>> I do favours for other people for free or a few beers because I
>>> work on the principle that one day they might help someone else for
>>> the same sort of charge.
>>>

>>There's a huge difference between doing a favour for someone, and making
>>your own living.
>>
> So because I'm (allegedly) some kind of a mechanical engineer I
> should start charging if someone asks for a hand to do what I look
> on as a simple task? There'd be a few people around here owe me some
> money if that was the case. The same goes for one or two others I
> could name.

There is nothing wrong with helping out for free, if you so choose.
Equally, I can't see anything wrong with charging a fair price for a
service. I have frequently performed bits of support for free, dunt mean
I'm always going to. I have to make a profit to pay my mortgage.

>>Had I been contaced by a client to come and install a printer, I'd have
>>certainly made a similar charge that Rope did. I probably would have
>>thrown in 12 months support as well, and not charged for any return visits
>>because he didn't understand me though. (Not saying that Rope did)
>>
> He didn't really make it clear if the bloke was someone that had
> answered an advert advertising "sevices" or if it was someone who
> just asked if he could help out.

This is true. IME though, when I've done work for people that asked me to
help out, they've nearly always tried to pay me anyway, even though I'd
already decided to work gratis. If they really press it, I ask them to give
it to their favourite charity.

>>Also, bear in mind that whiel doing this work for this 'old bloke' (which
>>doesn't inherently mean that he is in any way poor, or unable to pay) I'm
>>not able to work for clients that require larger / more profitable / more
>>complex jobs. I'd have done it cos I hate turning down any kind of
>>portential client. Small jobs well done lead to larger jobs and so on.
>>
> I'm a great believer that small jobs lead to larger jobs but setting
> up someones printer isn't likely to lead to a retirement fund is it?

No, but when he wants a new PC, who's he going to ask? Then he tells his
mates, then they call up and so on. In all seriousness, this is how much
of my business comes about, albeit on a larger scale. I reckon that a
happy punter is worth their weight in gold when it comes to publicity.

Rope

Dec 4, 2004, 11:09:10 AM12/4/04
Andy Bonwick spoke:

> >There's a huge difference between doing a favour for someone, and making
> >your own living.
> >
> So because I'm (allegedly) some kind of a mechanical engineer I
> should start charging if someone asks for a hand to do what I look
> on as a simple task? There'd be a few people around here owe me some
> money if that was the case. The same goes for one or two others I
> could name.

What part of "There's a huge difference between doing a favour for someone,
and making your own living." don't you understand?

> >Had I been contaced by a client to come and install a printer, I'd have
> >certainly made a similar charge that Rope did. I probably would have
> >thrown in 12 months support as well, and not charged for any return visits
> >because he didn't understand me though. (Not saying that Rope did)
> >
> He didn't really make it clear if the bloke was someone that had
> answered an advert advertising "sevices" or if it was someone who
> just asked if he could help out.

From the OP:
An Old Bloke called - "I've bought a new printer, could you
set it up for me?"

Sorry if I missed out reams of stuff about our local marketing strategies.

Rope

Dec 4, 2004, 11:09:09 AM12/4/04
Andy Bonwick spoke:

> >Do you do whatever it is you do for your employer for a cuppa or a
> >can of beer?
>
> Nope. I work for them for money and nothing else.
>
> I do favours for other people for free or a few beers because I
> work on the principle that one day they might help someone else for
> the same sort of charge.

Fairy nuff - but this was not a 'favour', this was what I do for a
living.

> Do you pay tax on these "earners" of yours?

Do you pay tax on your wages?

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Andy Bonwick

Dec 4, 2004, 11:26:08 AM12/4/04
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:09:10 GMT, Rope <sp...@ukrm.net> wrote:

>Andy Bonwick spoke:
snip>

>> He didn't really make it clear if the bloke was someone that had
>> answered an advert advertising "sevices" or if it was someone who
>> just asked if he could help out.
>
>From the OP:
>An Old Bloke called - "I've bought a new printer, could you
>set it up for me?"
>
>Sorry if I missed out reams of stuff about our local marketing strategies.

So was the work carried out because someone asked for a favour or
was it someone who phoned because he'd seen an advert or had you
recommended to him as an IT expert?

Bear

Dec 4, 2004, 11:38:37 AM12/4/04
In article <dbnEQkLe...@nospam.osvif.demon.co.uk>, Tim says...

> In message <vfm3r0ltpnct4uap3...@4ax.com>, Andy Bonwick
> <nos...@bonwick.me.uk> writes

> >>Rather depends on the footie result doesn't it?

> >Well yes but I'm entitled to a little bit of bravado don't you
> >think?
>
> I think you should deserve a nice quiet afternoon with a beer and the
> rugby on tv.

That's sort of what I'm doing ... smoking some excellent grass, watching
the footie scores on Sky, some Voyager, copying the last episode of
"Long Way Round" for some mates, bread-ruining and generally chilling
out :)

Mike

Dec 4, 2004, 11:40:36 AM12/4/04
Statto <statto...@ukrm.net> wrote:

Odd, checking the message I reoplied to...

...using Agent 1.93 and snipping the irrelivant bits...

From: Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk>
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles

...using Agent v2.0 via diff server ...

From: Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk>
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles

...using Xananews via ~another~ diff server...

From: Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk>
Subject: Re: This has to take the Lusers prize
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 13:29:58 GMT
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles

Interestingly, Lozzo's reply to my request looks like this...

...and is also formatted correctly.

Bear

Dec 4, 2004, 11:39:40 AM12/4/04
In article <r5p3r09auajmrd1th...@4ax.com>, Andy Bonwick
says...

> On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:09:10 GMT, Rope <sp...@ukrm.net> wrote:
>
> >Andy Bonwick spoke:
> snip>
>
> >> He didn't really make it clear if the bloke was someone that had
> >> answered an advert advertising "sevices" or if it was someone who
> >> just asked if he could help out.
> >
> >From the OP:
> >An Old Bloke called - "I've bought a new printer, could you
> >set it up for me?"
> >
> >Sorry if I missed out reams of stuff about our local marketing strategies.
>
> So was the work carried out because someone asked for a favour or
> was it someone who phoned because he'd seen an advert or had you
> recommended to him as an IT expert?

Jesus christ you're bored this afternoon, eh? :)

Message has been deleted

Andy Bonwick

Dec 4, 2004, 11:51:00 AM12/4/04
On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 16:39:40 -0000, Bear <bastard...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Yep. I really should do something constructive but instead I've just
lobbed some unknown frozen stuff in the microwave and opened another
can of Stella.

Bear

Dec 4, 2004, 11:50:05 AM12/4/04
In article <cospgg$1fr$1$8300...@news.demon.co.uk>, Alex Ferrier
says...

> Andy Bonwick wrote:
> >
> > Well yes but I'm entitled to a little bit of bravado don't you
> > think?
>
> <fx: shakes head and tuts>
> How the mighty are fallen.

Indeed. Not tricky to work out who wears the trousers in *that*
household.

Mike

Dec 4, 2004, 11:50:57 AM12/4/04
Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> wrote:

>Mike said...
>> Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Lozzo, do us a favour mate.. Change this...

>> to this..

>How and why should I do that with Gravity?

Dunno how mate, but in your last eply it now looks like this..

And your post looks much better so either you changed something
or it's doing it on the fly. I have seen this problem previously
with Gravity.

As for the "why", my understanding is that "quoted-printable" is
exactly that, and will display the full raw text base, including
carriage returns etc. Hence posts formatted this way display an
"=20" at the end of each line etc.

Lozzo

Dec 4, 2004, 11:52:23 AM12/4/04
Bear said...
> In article <MPG.1c1bd1621...@news.individual.net>, Lozzo
> says...

> > Mike said...
> > > Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Lozzo, do us a favour mate.. Change this...

> > > to this..

> > How and why should I do that with Gravity?
> >

> > I've set this version up exactly the same as every other version I've
> > used, is it a fault at my end or Mike's?
>

> Looks fine to me, but then I use gravity too.

I'll leave it alone as many others have said the same thing.

--
Lozzo: The SpeedySpic
In cunnis confidimus

Rope

Dec 4, 2004, 11:54:06 AM12/4/04
Andy Bonwick spoke:

> >From the OP:
> >An Old Bloke called - "I've bought a new printer, could you
> >set it up for me?"
> >
> >Sorry if I missed out reams of stuff about our local marketing strategies.
>
> So was the work carried out because someone asked for a favour or
> was it someone who phoned because he'd seen an advert or had you
> recommended to him as an IT expert?

He had been recommended to us by another (satisfied) client. OK?

Andy Bonwick

Dec 4, 2004, 11:59:56 AM12/4/04
On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 16:39:46 -0000, "Alex Ferrier" <x@x.x> wrote:

>Andy Bonwick wrote:
>>
>> Well yes but I'm entitled to a little bit of bravado don't you
>> think?
>

><fx: shakes head and tuts>
>How the mighty are fallen.

Shut it.

Nigel Eaton

Dec 4, 2004, 11:57:28 AM12/4/04
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:59:56 +0000, Andy Bonwick
<nos...@bonwick.me.uk> wrote:

>On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 16:39:46 -0000, "Alex Ferrier" <x@x.x> wrote:
>
>>Andy Bonwick wrote:
>>>
>>> Well yes but I'm entitled to a little bit of bravado don't you
>>> think?
>>
>><fx: shakes head and tuts>
>>How the mighty are fallen.
>
>Shut it.

Ooh. Raw-nerve / posting interface event there, I think.

Well batted, Shrek.

Mo Childs

Dec 4, 2004, 11:57:34 AM12/4/04
"jsp" <jat...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Bear wrote:
> I did much the same when trying to amend an entire menu system on a school
> network (back in the days of Dos and Basic)
>
> I got confused and wiped out the original, and only currenlty working
> version and ended up almost having to start it all again from scratch.
>
> What made it worse was the fact I wasn't supposed to be fiddling with it
> in the first place :(

Let's be fair tho' if the people who weren't supposed to be fiddling with it
didn't fiddle then things would never get ay better and we'd all be using
punch cards or an Abacus.

--
Mo - SV650
"Your life is a leaf that the seasons tear off and condemn"

Mike

Dec 4, 2004, 12:04:12 PM12/4/04
Champ <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 13:44:32 +0000, Mike <n...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>Lozzo, do us a favour mate.. Change this...

>>to this..

>Why? It's fine with Agent.

You're using version 2.0 and I agree it looks ok with that.
Unfortunately v1.xx is less tolerant of "quoted-printable"
encoding used for "mailing list" communication.

http://www.landfield.com/usefor/2001/Jun/0319.html

Bear

Dec 4, 2004, 12:07:46 PM12/4/04
In article <q7r3r0ldos004uvc3...@4ax.com>, Andy Bonwick
says...

> On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 16:39:46 -0000, "Alex Ferrier" <x@x.x> wrote:
>
> >Andy Bonwick wrote:
> >>
> >> Well yes but I'm entitled to a little bit of bravado don't you
> >> think?
> >
> ><fx: shakes head and tuts>
> >How the mighty are fallen.
>
> Shut it.

Oh shaddup and put yer dress on.

Message has been deleted

Bear

Dec 4, 2004, 12:08:57 PM12/4/04
In article <31e90iF...@individual.net>, Mike says...

> Champ <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 13:44:32 +0000, Mike <n...@privacy.net> wrote:
> >
> >>Lozzo, do us a favour mate.. Change this...

> >>to this..

> >Why? It's fine with Agent.
>
> You're using version 2.0 and I agree it looks ok with that.
> Unfortunately v1.xx is less tolerant of "quoted-printable"
> encoding used for "mailing list" communication.

So get a current version or use something decent.

Like gravity :)

Nigel Eaton

Dec 4, 2004, 12:10:01 PM12/4/04
On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 17:07:46 -0000, Bear <bastard...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>In article <q7r3r0ldos004uvc3...@4ax.com>, Andy Bonwick
>says...

>> ><fx: shakes head and tuts>
>> >How the mighty are fallen.
>>
>> Shut it.
>
>Oh shaddup and put yer dress on.

Yes.

Thanks.

There goes tonight's sleep then.

You cunt.

The Older Gentleman

Dec 4, 2004, 12:12:43 PM12/4/04
Ovenpaa <tagmignu*FOS*@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> I think we could all write a book on dim single users that are too stupid
> to own a computer.

More than a few who are too dim to own a motorcycle, as well.

--
Trophy 1200 (Doctored) 750SS CB400F CD200 ST70 DT50MX
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06 YTC#3

Andy Bonwick

Dec 4, 2004, 12:32:28 PM12/4/04
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:57:28 +0000, Nigel Eaton <ni...@eaton.me.uk>
wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:59:56 +0000, Andy Bonwick
><nos...@bonwick.me.uk> wrote:

>>><fx: shakes head and tuts>
>>>How the mighty are fallen.
>>
>>Shut it.
>
>Ooh. Raw-nerve / posting interface event there, I think.
>
>Well batted, Shrek.

I know where you live.

Andy Bonwick

Dec 4, 2004, 12:35:25 PM12/4/04
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:54:06 GMT, Rope <sp...@ukrm.net> wrote:

>Andy Bonwick spoke:
>> >From the OP:
>> >An Old Bloke called - "I've bought a new printer, could you
>> >set it up for me?"
>> >
>> >Sorry if I missed out reams of stuff about our local marketing strategies.
>>
>> So was the work carried out because someone asked for a favour or
>> was it someone who phoned because he'd seen an advert or had you
>> recommended to him as an IT expert?
>
>He had been recommended to us by another (satisfied) client. OK?

Sure. I suppose he'll be ok when he realises he just has to put it
down to being a Friday afternoon job.

Mike

Dec 4, 2004, 12:30:48 PM12/4/04
Bear <bastard...@gmail.com> wrote:

>In article <31e90iF...@individual.net>, Mike says...
>> Champ <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote:

>> >Why? It's fine with Agent.
>>
>> You're using version 2.0 and I agree it looks ok with that.
>> Unfortunately v1.xx is less tolerant of "quoted-printable"
>> encoding used for "mailing list" communication.

Actually, that should have read "quoted-printable"
encoding which is not used for "mailing list" communication.

>So get a current version or use something decent.

You'll be suggesting we post in html next.

>Like gravity :)

Tried it years ago.. My pal the notorious Chris Buckley swears
its the best. I'm still using Agent. Interesting that Gravity is
now unsupported while Agent goes from strength to strength. :-p

Bear

Dec 4, 2004, 12:39:18 PM12/4/04
In article <31eaifF...@individual.net>, Mike says...
> Bear <bastard...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tried it years ago.. My pal the notorious Chris Buckley swears
> its the best. I'm still using Agent. Interesting that Gravity is
> now unsupported while Agent goes from strength to strength. :-p

That'll be because Agent's a commercial product, whereas gravity's just
someone's hobby, IIRC.

Still, no reason not to get an up to date copy of Agent, you ChavScum
pillock :)

Nigel Eaton

Dec 4, 2004, 12:39:33 PM12/4/04
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 17:32:28 +0000, Andy Bonwick
<nos...@bonwick.me.uk> wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:57:28 +0000, Nigel Eaton <ni...@eaton.me.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:59:56 +0000, Andy Bonwick
>><nos...@bonwick.me.uk> wrote:

>>>Shut it.
>>
>>Ooh. Raw-nerve / posting interface event there, I think.
>>
>>Well batted, Shrek.
>
>I know where you live.

Fortunately, so does your "management".

I sleep well.

Andy Bonwick

Dec 4, 2004, 12:46:00 PM12/4/04
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 17:39:33 +0000, Nigel Eaton <ni...@eaton.me.uk>
wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 17:32:28 +0000, Andy Bonwick
><nos...@bonwick.me.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:57:28 +0000, Nigel Eaton <ni...@eaton.me.uk>
>>wrote:

>>>Ooh. Raw-nerve / posting interface event there, I think.
>>>
>>>Well batted, Shrek.
>>
>>I know where you live.
>
>Fortunately, so does your "management".
>
>I sleep well.

Long may that continue...

Rope

Dec 4, 2004, 12:54:06 PM12/4/04
Andy Bonwick spoke:

> Sure. I suppose he'll be ok when he realises he just has to put it
> down to being a Friday afternoon job.

Ppppppppppppppppppppppp!

marina

Dec 4, 2004, 2:24:24 PM12/4/04
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 11:42:02 GMT, Rope <sp...@ukrm.net> wrote:

>An Old Bloke called - "I've bought a new printer, could you
>set it up for me?"

<snip old bloke fuckwittery>

Sounds just like my Mum. I set up a new file for her new story and
save it. As I'm about to leave, she says "Don't worry, if I have
problems, I'll ask the man at the old people's computer centre - I'm
going there this week." Me: "Ah, shall I save it to the floppy then?
Mum: Well where is it now if it's not on the floppy then? Old people
eh?

--
Marina Mayes - Reading, UK. To email me remove XX from my address
SR250 - on the road again. BOTAFOT12, BOD#2, BOTAFOS#2

Champ

Dec 4, 2004, 2:11:29 PM12/4/04
On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 16:50:05 -0000, Bear <bastard...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>In article <cospgg$1fr$1$8300...@news.demon.co.uk>, Alex Ferrier
>says...
>> Andy Bonwick wrote:
>> >
>> > Well yes but I'm entitled to a little bit of bravado don't you
>> > think?
>>
>> <fx: shakes head and tuts>
>> How the mighty are fallen.
>
>Indeed. Not tricky to work out who wears the trousers in *that*
>household.

Was it ever in doubt?
--
Champ
I don't know, but I've been told, never slow down, you never grow old
GSX-R 1000, GPz 750 turbo, ZX7RR Endurance Racer x 2
GYASB#0 BotToS#2 BOTAFO(T|F)#35 WG*#1 DFV#8
Team UKRM Racing : www.team-ukrm.com

Champ

Dec 4, 2004, 2:14:24 PM12/4/04
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 17:04:12 +0000, Mike <n...@privacy.net> wrote:

>Champ <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 13:44:32 +0000, Mike <n...@privacy.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Lozzo, do us a favour mate.. Change this...

>>>to this..

>>Why? It's fine with Agent.
>
>You're using version 2.0 and I agree it looks ok with that.
>Unfortunately v1.xx is less tolerant of "quoted-printable"
>encoding used for "mailing list" communication.

V2.0 is a free upgrade for 1.xx users, isn't it?

Champ

Dec 4, 2004, 2:12:58 PM12/4/04
wrote:

>I sleep well.

'ang on - a few minutes ago you were saying that tonight's sleep was
likely to be disturbed by...unsavory images

_Ginge

Dec 4, 2004, 2:19:29 PM12/4/04
In article <bga3r0528na8180n8...@4ax.com>, Andy Bonwick
says...
> On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 12:00:14 +0000, Ovenpaa
> <tagmignu*FOS*@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 12:00:15 +0000, Andy Bonwick babbled on about:

> >> You charged an old bloke £20 to set up his printer? You thieving
> >> cunt.
> >
> >You work for free? come and do my headlight.
>
> This is on the Triumph?
>
> Actually I'd willingly come and help but someone nicked my van this
> morning and no doubt it's sitting in a backstreet of Liverpool by
> now having the wheels removed.

I'm there on Monday, what colour is it?

If I see any scousers fucking about with one that looks similar I'll run
them over. Better safe than sorry eh?

_Ginge

Dec 4, 2004, 2:20:20 PM12/4/04
In article <ofb3r01ktjoc6a972...@4ax.com>, Andy Bonwick
says...
> On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 12:17:16 +0000, Ovenpaa
> <tagmignu*FOS*@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 12:15:59 +0000, Andy Bonwick babbled on about:

> >> Actually I'd willingly come and help but someone nicked my van this
> >> morning and no doubt it's sitting in a backstreet of Liverpool by
> >> now having the wheels removed.
> >

> >Feck, this was from home?
>
> Yeah. I'll kick Adies arse if she doesn't bring it back safely.

Ahh should have read the rest of the thread.

Nevermind.

_Ginge

Dec 4, 2004, 2:21:10 PM12/4/04
In article <MPG.1c1bf860d...@news.zen.co.uk>, Bear says...
> In article <dbnEQkLe...@nospam.osvif.demon.co.uk>, Tim says...
> > In message <vfm3r0ltpnct4uap3...@4ax.com>, Andy Bonwick
> > <nos...@bonwick.me.uk> writes

> > >Well yes but I'm entitled to a little bit of bravado don't you
> > >think?
> >
> > I think you should deserve a nice quiet afternoon with a beer and the
> > rugby on tv.
>
> That's sort of what I'm doing ... smoking some excellent grass, watching
> the footie scores on Sky, some Voyager, copying the last episode of
> "Long Way Round" for some mates, bread-ruining and generally chilling
> out :)

Today I mostly installed a dishwasher.

I'm now listening to it making lovely theraputic slosh-slosh noises.

_Ginge

Dec 4, 2004, 2:22:00 PM12/4/04
In article <m3t3r05v1qm0qklng...@4ax.com>, Andy Bonwick
says...

> On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:57:28 +0000, Nigel Eaton <ni...@eaton.me.uk>
> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:59:56 +0000, Andy Bonwick
> ><nos...@bonwick.me.uk> wrote:

> >>Shut it.
> >
> >Ooh. Raw-nerve / posting interface event there, I think.
> >
> >Well batted, Shrek.
>
> I know where you live.

You might even be allowed out to visit him, if you're well behaved.

Andy Bonwick

Dec 4, 2004, 2:30:07 PM12/4/04

No chance of that happening. I'm off to the pub for an evening of
alcohol abuse.

_Ginge

Dec 4, 2004, 2:28:21 PM12/4/04
In article <31e7kaF...@individual.net>, Mike says...
> Interestingly, Lozzo's reply to my request looks like this...

> ...and is also formatted correctly.

The iso-8859-15 is probably what's causing the problems..

iso-8859-1 would fix it..

Andy Bonwick

Dec 4, 2004, 2:31:09 PM12/4/04

The thought was there anyway. Feel free to run over a few scousers
if you get the chance.

_Ginge

Dec 4, 2004, 2:30:51 PM12/4/04
In article <31eaifF...@individual.net>, Mike says...
> Interesting that Gravity is
> now unsupported while Agent goes from strength to strength.

Incorrect.

Gravity went opensource a while back..

http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/

Lozzo

Dec 4, 2004, 2:39:37 PM12/4/04
_Ginge said...

Is this better, Mike?

--
Lozzo: The SpeedySpic
In cunnis confidimus

Bear

Dec 4, 2004, 2:55:59 PM12/4/04
In article <MPG.1c1c1e81c...@news.individual.net>, _Ginge
says...

heh. I freaked the first time I heard the "CLONK" when the tablet drops
in ... thought something had broken off.

Message has been deleted
It is loading more messages.