Beware the 20mph limit in the City of London

TOG@Toil

Feb 20, 2015, 5:41:42 AM2/20/15
No, I didn't know it had one either, and the signs for it are the size of sodding saucers. And it applies to the bridges too. Came in just a few months ago.

Just been tugged for 25mph on Blackfriars Bridge. Speed awareness course (speed???!?!) and no points, but still....

YTC#1

Feb 20, 2015, 6:30:11 AM2/20/15
On 20/02/2015 10:41, TOG@Toil wrote:
> No, I didn't know it had one either, and the signs for it are the
> size of sodding saucers. And it applies to the bridges too. Came in
> just a few months ago.

Sounds like it is not worth riding/driving in London any more

> Just been tugged for 25mph on Blackfriars Bridge. Speed awareness
> course (speed???!?!) and no points, but still....

A very worthwhile thing, one of the big lessons I learnt was "At a
junction there is a good chance of a speed change" :-)

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Champ

Feb 20, 2015, 6:36:59 AM2/20/15
On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 02:41:40 -0800 (PST), "TOG@Toil"
<totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Speed awareness course

Ooh, I'm looking forward to you report on that! Let's see if you can
keep your mouth shut and not argue with the copper taking the course.

I managed it. *Just*.
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

Scion

Feb 20, 2015, 6:55:06 AM2/20/15
TOG@Toil put finger to keyboard:
Brighton's the same. Give the Greens another term and they'll probably
bring back the man with the red flag.

Eiron

Feb 20, 2015, 6:58:40 AM2/20/15
A flag? In Brighton it would be a red handkerchief in the back pocket.

--
Eiron.

ogden

Feb 20, 2015, 7:14:13 AM2/20/15
b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk wrote:

> On 20/02/2015 10:41, TOG@Toil wrote:
> > No, I didn't know it had one either, and the signs for it are the
> > size of sodding saucers. And it applies to the bridges too. Came in
> > just a few months ago.
>
> Sounds like it is not worth riding/driving in London any more

There's a bit more to London than just the City.

--
ogden

GSXR1000 | 990SMT | YZF-R6

Simon Wilson

Feb 20, 2015, 7:25:10 AM2/20/15
On 20/02/2015 10:41, TOG@Toil wrote:
> No, I didn't know it had one either, and the signs for it are the size of sodding saucers. And it applies to the bridges too. Came in just a few months ago.
>
> Just been tugged for 25mph on Blackfriars Bridge. Speed awareness course (speed???!?!) and no points, but still....

According to the City of London website, the speed limit won't cause any
hardship, because the average speed in London is only 21.9 mph anyway.
<facepalm>

--
/Simon

Eiron

Feb 20, 2015, 7:38:22 AM2/20/15
Some strange sort of average. Probably biased towards 3am speeds.

--
Eiron.

TOG@Toil

Feb 20, 2015, 8:20:07 AM2/20/15
What's odd is that the entireto of Blackfriars and London bridges is 20mph now, but Southwark bridge is 30mph until the very middle and then 20mph thereafter.

It's the pushbikers who've brought this on - I wonder how many of those wankers get stopped for doing 25mph?
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

YTC#1

Feb 20, 2015, 8:47:55 AM2/20/15
Like ?

Eiron

Feb 20, 2015, 8:50:44 AM2/20/15
On 20/02/2015 13:27, UKRM's Man Back in Israel wrote:
> TOG@Toil <totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> It's the pushbikers who've brought this on - I wonder how many of those
>> wankers get stopped for doing 25mph?
>
> Since speed limits don't apply to bicycles, I'd say the answer was 'zero'.

You expect police constables to know the law?

--
Eiron.

Rick

Feb 20, 2015, 8:55:51 AM2/20/15
On 20/02/2015 13:37, UKRM's Man Back in Israel wrote:
> UKRM's Man Back in Israel <genuine...@des.net> wrote:
>> TOG@Toil <totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> It's the pushbikers who've brought this on - I wonder how many of those
>>> wankers get stopped for doing 25mph?
>
>> Since speed limits don't apply to bicycles, I'd say the answer was
>> 'zero'.
>
> Oh, sorry. Almost forgot: could someone post a follow-up to this, so that
> that tosser can add the usual anti-Semitic insult, and still maintain the
> pretence that he has me killfiled?
>
> Thanks.
>
> D.

No problem.

From https://www.eta.co.uk/cycling-and-the-law/;

Can cyclists be booked for speeding?

Cyclists can’t be booked for speeding, but might be fined for ‘cycling
furiously’ or ‘riding furiously’ which is an offence under the 1847 Town
Police Clauses Act. However, cyclists can be convicted for ‘wanton and
furious driving’ under the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 (as
amended by the Criminal Justice Act 1948 (c. 58), s. 1(2)) if they cause
bodily harm to any person. They are then guilty of a misdemeanour and
could, at the discretion of the court, be imprisoned for up to two years.

--
Rick Brown

SprintRS R100RT
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Rick

Feb 20, 2015, 9:19:54 AM2/20/15
On 20/02/2015 13:58, UKRM's Man Back in Israel wrote:

> Which part of 'speed limits don't apply to bicycles' is causing you
> difficulty..?

Are you a moron?
Message has been deleted

c...@post.netunix.com

Feb 20, 2015, 9:28:55 AM2/20/15
Champ <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 02:41:40 -0800 (PST), "TOG@Toil"
> <totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Speed awareness course
>
> Ooh, I'm looking forward to you report on that! Let's see if you can
> keep your mouth shut and not argue with the copper taking the course.
>
> I managed it. *Just*.

Like the lecturer who insisted that everyone should be in second gear
in a 30 limit.

YTC#1

Feb 20, 2015, 9:29:28 AM2/20/15
Everyone knows it should be 3rd

Rick

Feb 20, 2015, 9:37:23 AM2/20/15
On 20/02/2015 14:22, UKRM's Man Back in Israel wrote:
> Rick <richardhenley...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 20/02/2015 13:58, UKRM's Man Back in Israel wrote:
>
>>> Which part of 'speed limits don't apply to bicycles' is causing you
>>> difficulty..?
>
>> Are you a moron?
>
> *snort*
>
> Piss off, son.

You first.

AstroSpanner

Feb 20, 2015, 10:47:04 AM2/20/15
In article <mc7fp1$50i$1...@dont-email.me>,
richardhenley...@tiscali.co.uk says...

> On 20/02/2015 13:58, UKRM's Man Back in Israel wrote:
> >
> > Which part of 'speed limits don't apply to bicycles' is causing you
> > difficulty..?
> >

> Are you a moron?

Great, I've not got "gordon is a moron" going round my head.

--
Will
ZRX1200

AstroSpanner

Feb 20, 2015, 10:55:06 AM2/20/15
In article <m5rjrb-...@server.com.il>, genuine...@des.net
says...

> Rick <richardhenley...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> > From https://www.eta.co.uk/cycling-and-the-law/;
> >
> > Can cyclists be booked for speeding?
> >
> > Cyclists can???t be booked for speeding, but might be fined for ???cycling
> > furiously??? or ???riding furiously??? which is an offence under the 1847 Town
> > Police Clauses Act. However, cyclists can be convicted for ???wanton and
> > furious driving??? under the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 (as
> > amended by the Criminal Justice Act 1948 (c. 58), s. 1(2)) if they cause
> > bodily harm to any person. They are then guilty of a misdemeanour and
> > could, at the discretion of the court, be imprisoned for up to two years.
>
> Which part of 'speed limits don't apply to bicycles' is causing you
> difficulty..?
>
> D.

That is really quite special. Someone kindly follows your
of-look-at-me request, and adds a bit of information with
some an actual verifiable link (other than just a
statement that could be pulled from the head of an
errorprone legal students), and you
remonstrate with them. <fx: golf clap>

--
Will
ZRX1200

ogden

Feb 20, 2015, 10:58:15 AM2/20/15
b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk wrote:

> On 20/02/2015 12:13, ogden wrote:
> > b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk wrote:

> >> Sounds like it is not worth riding/driving in London any more
> >
> > There's a bit more to London than just the City.
> >
> Like ?

The other 605 square miles of Greater London.
Message has been deleted

Scion

Feb 20, 2015, 11:25:31 AM2/20/15
sweller put finger to keyboard:

> Scion wrote:
>
>> Brighton's the same. Give the Greens another term and they'll probably
>> bring back the man with the red flag.
>
> Just ignore it, I do.
>
> In the housing areas you can't do much more than 20 anyway, everywhere
> else they don't even try to enforce it - the cameras in Brighton are on
> the 30mph bits anyway.

I must admit, I look out for cameras more than I look out for speed limit
signs.

> In the centre of town getting to 20mph is a fucking bonus.

Troodat. They want the buses to be a viable alternative to driving, after
all. Which is why I was surprised that there was free parking in the town
centre on the Sundays in the run up to Christmas.

Boots

Feb 20, 2015, 11:37:04 AM2/20/15
If they're in a Royal Park then the limits do apply and it would appear
that Southwark have framed their legislation in the same manner so it
may well apply to cycles. There's also the old catchall of riding
furiously.

--
Ian
To open a shop is easy, to keep it open is an art

Jeremy

Feb 20, 2015, 11:52:50 AM2/20/15
In article <MPG.2f5167988...@nntp.aioe.org>,
willgr...@gmail.com says...
What do you have instead?

Moron.

--
jeremy
Message has been deleted

Colin Irvine

Feb 20, 2015, 1:01:36 PM2/20/15
He's just very narrow-minded. Always has been.

--
Colin Irvine
ZZR1400 BOF#33 BONY#34 COFF#06 BHaLC#5

Champ

Feb 20, 2015, 1:07:11 PM2/20/15
On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 15:56:12 -0000, AstroSpanner
<willgr...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

Will, really? Do you have to?
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

The Older Gentleman

Feb 20, 2015, 1:29:01 PM2/20/15
Rick <richardhenley...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> Cyclists can't be booked for speeding, but might be fined for 'cycling
> furiously' or 'riding furiously' which is an offence under the 1847 Town
> Police Clauses Act. However, cyclists can be convicted for 'wanton and
> furious driving' under the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 (as
> amended by the Criminal Justice Act 1948 (c. 58), s. 1(2)) if they cause
> bodily harm to any person. They are then guilty of a misdemeanour and
> could, at the discretion of the court, be imprisoned for up to two years.

Little Bruvver got nicked on a bicycle for being drunk in charge of a
bicycle on the descent of Headington Hill in Oxford.

What alerted Plod was that there were three of them on the bicycle at
the time. One on the seat, one on the crossbar, and the third sitting on
the handlebars.

They nicked LB because he was holding the bars and was deemed to be 'in
charge', for evry loose values of that phrase.

Fined £10, some 35 years ago.

--
Honda CB400 Four CB250 CB125 CG125 Triumph Street Triple
Yamaha XJ600S 660 Tenere Suzuki TS250ERx3 BMW R60/6

Eiron

Feb 20, 2015, 2:11:45 PM2/20/15
On 20/02/2015 18:28, The Older Gentleman wrote:
> Rick <richardhenley...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Cyclists can't be booked for speeding, but might be fined for 'cycling
>> furiously' or 'riding furiously' which is an offence under the 1847 Town
>> Police Clauses Act. However, cyclists can be convicted for 'wanton and
>> furious driving' under the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 (as
>> amended by the Criminal Justice Act 1948 (c. 58), s. 1(2)) if they cause
>> bodily harm to any person. They are then guilty of a misdemeanour and
>> could, at the discretion of the court, be imprisoned for up to two years.
>
> Little Bruvver got nicked on a bicycle for being drunk in charge of a
> bicycle on the descent of Headington Hill in Oxford.
>
> What alerted Plod was that there were three of them on the bicycle at
> the time. One on the seat, one on the crossbar, and the third sitting on
> the handlebars.
>
> They nicked LB because he was holding the bars and was deemed to be 'in
> charge', for evry loose values of that phrase.
>
> Fined £10, some 35 years ago.

How did they establish that he was drunk?
No breathalyzer for cyclists....

--
Eiron.

Pete Fisher

Feb 20, 2015, 2:18:49 PM2/20/15
Perhaps he couldn't walk in a straight line?

--
KTM 250 EXC - back to the Dark Side
Gilera GFR * 2, Moto Morini 2C/375

"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in the reality"

The Older Gentleman

Feb 20, 2015, 2:26:02 PM2/20/15
Same way as they did before the bags, I imagine.

Charlie

Feb 20, 2015, 2:28:36 PM2/20/15
Congratulations. You have encountered ukrm's (non-uk, non-biking)
visiting charm-bypass.

The Older Gentleman

Feb 20, 2015, 2:31:05 PM2/20/15
Seriously?

--
Honda CB400 Four CB250 CG125 Yamaha RXS100 XJ600S 660 Tenere
Suzuki TS250ERx3 BMW R60/6 Triumph Street Triple

c...@post.netunix.com

Feb 20, 2015, 2:56:12 PM2/20/15
The Older Gentleman <totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> > keep your mouth shut and not argue with the copper taking the course.
>> >
>> > I managed it. *Just*.
>>
>> Like the lecturer who insisted that everyone should be in second gear
>> in a 30 limit.
>
> Seriously?

Yes - and she got upset when I asked if that was in high range or
low range.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

ogden

Feb 20, 2015, 4:10:53 PM2/20/15
"Fair enough, it'll do 80 in first".

Boots

Feb 21, 2015, 12:11:00 PM2/21/15
Since you can still be charged without providing a breathalyser sample
or even if you pass as it's the opinion of the officer, just that a
breathalyser fail or refusal makes it a cast iron.

--
Ian
A political party is organised opinion

AstroSpanner

Feb 23, 2015, 6:49:05 AM2/23/15
In article <osteea9c7co5nd68c...@4ax.com>,
ne...@champ.org.uk says...

> On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 15:56:12 -0000, AstroSpanner
> <willgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> Will, really? Do you have to?

What, put insults in as acrostics? No, but it was amusing me.

--
Will
ZRX1200

Champ

Feb 23, 2015, 7:13:41 AM2/23/15
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 11:50:06 -0000, AstroSpanner
<willgr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> <snip>
>>
>> Will, really? Do you have to?

>What, put insults in as acrostics? No, but it was amusing me.

<looks again>

Oh yes. Very good. But really, are you that bored?

AstroSpanner

Feb 23, 2015, 7:48:52 AM2/23/15
In article <aa6meapubqmpidro3...@4ax.com>,
ne...@champ.org.uk says...

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 11:50:06 -0000, AstroSpanner
> <willgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> <snip>
> >>
> >> Will, really? Do you have to?
>
> >What, put insults in as acrostics? No, but it was amusing me.
>
> <looks again>
>
> Oh yes. Very good. But really, are you that bored?

It makes a change from writing technical docs.

--
Will
ZRX1200

Champ

Feb 23, 2015, 9:32:51 AM2/23/15
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 12:49:21 -0000, AstroSpanner
<willgr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Oh yes. Very good. But really, are you that bored?

>It makes a change from writing technical docs.

Well, I guess that's better than having to read technical docs

DC

Mar 4, 2015, 12:35:08 PM3/4/15
On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 11:36:56 +0000, Champ <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 02:41:40 -0800 (PST), "TOG@Toil"
><totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Speed awareness course
>
>Ooh, I'm looking forward to you report on that! Let's see if you can
>keep your mouth shut and not argue with the copper taking the course.
>
>I managed it. *Just*.

Really ? was it "a copper taking the course"

As in, the person that was lecturing, conducting the course ?

On my recent drivers awareness course (thank god, as I am up to 10 points - and
thanks to the 20 mph limit on tower bridge for the 4 points, and some other
sneaky roadside equipment) the "instructor" said that he was "not a policeman,
but employed by them.

Near the end of the course, he asked if there were any questions. I politley
asked if he had ever accrued points, to which he said yes, through "losing
concentration. Lovely.

I think they should make ALL of the city, or, ALL of central London 20,or 30
mph, not the wild west speed gotya ! - as has been noted, the reduction in speed
in certain parts seems to bare no relation to the traffic environment (Waterloo,
20 > 30 > 20 > 30) 1.

I do 100 - 1800 miles a month, over a massive area, trying to adjust a 2 litre
car to those finites is stressfull, quite fankly very bloody difficult.

In the 15 years, riding various bikes through outer and central London, I never
accrues any point through "speeding" - maybe the better control of velocity
was why.

1. Enviroment - what the driver awareness chap stressed over and over, I was
convicted 3 times, all 3 in early morning, dry, almost empty roads. Yes, I was
over the speed limit, yes I "lost concentration" but, I think that considering
my excact situation, of travelling at 78 mph, on a 70 mph dual carrigway, in
good conditions - dry, sunny, empty road, 47 mph in a 40 is contrary to the
idiom of " not being safe - able to stop in time, a danger to the whole of the
universe.

Question to the House, or point of order:

Is there a correlation, between the number or miles, having, ridden/driven, and
the possibilty/likleyhood of accruing more than the average amount of
NIP's/Points. I think so.

In 3 months, 4 of those point become invalid, weeeeeee heeeeeeeeeeeeee

xAnthonyx

Mar 4, 2015, 3:41:46 PM3/4/15
On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 10:41:42 AM UTC, TOG@Toil wrote:
> No, I didn't know it had one either, and the signs for it are the size of sodding saucers. And it applies to the bridges too. Came in just a few months ago.
>
> Just been tugged for 25mph on Blackfriars Bridge. Speed awareness course (speed???!?!) and no points, but still....

Some people go too fast on that bridge. And you should stop ignoring the road signs.

Champ

Mar 4, 2015, 4:30:51 PM3/4/15
On Wed, 04 Mar 2015 17:42:50 +0000, DC <D...@NewPlanet.org> wrote:

>>>Speed awareness course
>>
>>Ooh, I'm looking forward to you report on that! Let's see if you can
>>keep your mouth shut and not argue with the copper taking the course.
>>
>>I managed it. *Just*.

>Really ? was it "a copper taking the course"
>
>As in, the person that was lecturing, conducting the course ?

Yes, it was a copper.

Thomas

Mar 4, 2015, 4:34:52 PM3/4/15
On Wed, 04 Mar 2015 09:42:50 -0800, DC <D...@newplanet.org> wrote:

> Question to the House, or point of order:
>
> Is there a correlation, between the number or miles, having,
> ridden/driven, and
> the possibilty/likleyhood of accruing more than the average amount of
> NIP's/Points. I think so.

IMHO, it's a reverse bell curve. Experience helps until senility takes its
toll.

Boots

Mar 5, 2015, 3:34:44 PM3/5/15
On Wed, 04 Mar 2015 17:42:50 +0000 in uk.rec.motorcycles, DC says:

>was it "a copper taking the course

The one I attended it was run by BSM on behalf of the police

--
Ian
To open a shop is easy, to keep it open is an art

DC

Mar 25, 2015, 7:21:49 PM3/25/15

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/cyclist-fined-after-being-clocked-riding-41mph-in-richmond-park-161628

DC

Mar 25, 2015, 7:23:05 PM3/25/15
On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 13:58:46 +0000, UKRM's Man Back in Israel
<genuine...@des.net> wrote:

>Rick <richardhenley...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>> From https://www.eta.co.uk/cycling-and-the-law/;
>>
>> Can cyclists be booked for speeding?
>>
>> Cyclists can???t be booked for speeding, but might be fined for ???cycling
>> furiously??? or ???riding furiously??? which is an offence under the 1847 Town
>> Police Clauses Act. However, cyclists can be convicted for ???wanton and
>> furious driving??? under the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 (as
>> amended by the Criminal Justice Act 1948 (c. 58), s. 1(2)) if they cause
>> bodily harm to any person. They are then guilty of a misdemeanour and
>> could, at the discretion of the court, be imprisoned for up to two years.
>
>Which part of 'speed limits don't apply to bicycles' is causing you
>difficulty..?
>
>D.

Dick > Head:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/cyclist-fined-after-being-clocked-riding-41mph-in-richmond-park-161628

DC

Mar 25, 2015, 7:25:31 PM3/25/15
Also known, as Mrs. Total C^^^^^

Eiron

Mar 26, 2015, 3:38:22 AM3/26/15
Have the Easter holidays started already?
Des is of course right: that case is dubious and will no doubt be
followed by a successful appeal.
It's only in Royal parks where there might possibly be a speed limit for
bicycles.
They should have gone for 'furious pedalling' instead.

--
Eiron.

The Older Gentleman

Mar 26, 2015, 4:16:29 AM3/26/15
Oh dear. Please don't tell me he was wrong? ;-)

--
Honda CB400 Four CB250 CG125 Suzuki TS250ERRx3 BMW R60/6
Yamaha RXS100 XJ600S 660 Tenere Triumph Street Triple