OT: Fucking pixel phones, made of cheese!

YTC#1

Feb 25, 2023, 1:28:06 PM2/25/23
First up, I really really like my Pixel 4a.
But it is made of some brittle shite.

For the 3rd time, a low fall has broken it. This time it was fromthe arm
of the camping chair on to my foot FFS!

Last repair cost £150, fuck that not doing it again.

I know there are some other Pixel users out here, so before either drop
back to Motorola or go for a rugged phone [1] are the newer Pixels any
tougher?

[1] I should really go for one, so what is the latest rugged of choice?

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Stephen Packer

Feb 25, 2023, 1:45:41 PM2/25/23
On Saturday, 25 February 2023 at 18:28:06 UTC, YTC#1 wrote:
> First up, I really really like my Pixel 4a.
> But it is made of some brittle shite.
>
> For the 3rd time, a low fall has broken it. This time it was fromthe arm
> of the camping chair on to my foot FFS!
>
> Last repair cost £150, fuck that not doing it again.
>
> I know there are some other Pixel users out here, so before either drop
> back to Motorola or go for a rugged phone [1] are the newer Pixels any
> tougher?

I've used Pixels for the last five or so years. I always use one of the wrap
around wallet cases which might look a bit shit but do seem to protect
them. I didn't take the 'A' versions but bought the 'full' version when it
got discounted. In about six years I've broken one (cracked screen).

I guess your mileage varied!

YTC#1

Feb 25, 2023, 2:30:16 PM2/25/23
Yeah, the "a" because they ae smaller, and I probably should have spent
more on protection.

Andy Burns

Feb 25, 2023, 2:34:43 PM2/25/23
Stephen Packer wrote:

> YTC#1 wrote:
>
>> I know there are some other Pixel users out here, so before either drop
>> back to Motorola or go for a rugged phone [1] are the newer Pixels any
>> tougher?
>
> I've used Pixels for the last five or so years. I always use one of the wrap
> around wallet cases which might look a bit shit but do seem to protect
> them. I didn't take the 'A' versions but bought the 'full' version when it
> got discounted. In about six years I've broken one (cracked screen).

I've had multiple Nexus/Pixel devices from the N1, some of the material
choices are a bit odd, the N4 could detect a table top that was 0.001°
out of level by sliding slowly towards the edge, the P3 was the first
phone for decades that I actually bought a case for, now I have a P5a
and even though the phone isn't made of glass, I do still have a case
for it.

The only one I managed to kill was the N5X which didn't like being
washed and tumble dried.

YTC#1

Feb 25, 2023, 3:51:21 PM2/25/23
On 25/02/2023 18:45, Stephen Packer wrote:
Well, it looks like Pixel still has the edge on stuff I like (strangley
the baromter is in the list), and can get a 6a for £299.

What is the wrap around case you use?

(I still like the idea of a rugged, but not 100% sure Blackview counts
as "stock" android.... )

Mark Olson

Feb 25, 2023, 6:32:19 PM2/25/23
YTC#1 <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:
> First up, I really really like my Pixel 4a.
> But it is made of some brittle shite.
>
> For the 3rd time, a low fall has broken it. This time it was fromthe arm
> of the camping chair on to my foot FFS!
>
> Last repair cost £150, fuck that not doing it again.
>
> I know there are some other Pixel users out here, so before either drop
> back to Motorola or go for a rugged phone [1] are the newer Pixels any
> tougher?
>
> [1] I should really go for one, so what is the latest rugged of choice?

Did you have a case on your Pixel 4a?

I've had a few Pixels, a few Motorolas and a Nexus 5X. I prefer an
open faced case, with either soft rubbery material (TPU?) or similar
with a fabric covering for best hand feel. AFAIK I have never broken
any of my phones, despite many drops. But I have always had a case
on every phone.

The only handheld device I've broken didn't have a case at all, a Nexus
7 tablet that slipped out of its sleeve and hit a concrete sidewalk.

I can't figure out people who won't put a case on their phone and then
wonder why it cracks when it falls on a hard floor/ground. They're
mostly glass...

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

sweller

Feb 26, 2023, 2:28:37 AM2/26/23
YTC#1 wrote:

> I know there are some other Pixel users out here, so before either
> drop back to Motorola or go for a rugged phone [1] are the newer
> Pixels any tougher?

I've got a Pixel 5 - I've dropped it quite a bit and it's fine.

It's got a Google case (the strange textile feel one) and a screen
protector (to defend it from the keys that it always end up in the same
pocket as).

--
Simon

YTC#1

Feb 26, 2023, 4:27:58 AM2/26/23
On 25/02/2023 23:32, Mark Olson wrote:
> YTC#1 <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:
>> First up, I really really like my Pixel 4a.
>> But it is made of some brittle shite.
>>
>> For the 3rd time, a low fall has broken it. This time it was fromthe arm
>> of the camping chair on to my foot FFS!
>>
>> Last repair cost £150, fuck that not doing it again.
>>
>> I know there are some other Pixel users out here, so before either drop
>> back to Motorola or go for a rugged phone [1] are the newer Pixels any
>> tougher?
>>
>> [1] I should really go for one, so what is the latest rugged of choice?
>
> Did you have a case on your Pixel 4a?
Not a full case, just a sides and back one.
Obvioulsy not a good enugh one.

> I've had a few Pixels, a few Motorolas and a Nexus 5X. I prefer an
> open faced case, with either soft rubbery material (TPU?) or similar
> with a fabric covering for best hand feel. AFAIK I have never broken
> any of my phones, despite many drops. But I have always had a case
> on every phone.

I only ever broke 1 phone before this, a Moto 5g. And that wasn't me, it
was a friend who knocked it off a table onto a solid stone floor.

I usually abuse my phones, and all my previous Moto phones have survived me.

> The only handheld device I've broken didn't have a case at all, a Nexus
> 7 tablet that slipped out of its sleeve and hit a concrete sidewalk.
>
> I can't figure out people who won't put a case on their phone and then
> wonder why it cracks when it falls on a hard floor/ground. They're
> mostly glass...

I'm open to case recommendations, but like you prefer an open front as I
don;t want to faff about with cases when transfering from pocket to push
bike mount or car mount.

YTC#1

Feb 26, 2023, 4:30:54 AM2/26/23

sweller

Feb 26, 2023, 5:00:16 AM2/26/23
YTC#1 wrote:

> > It's got a Google case (the strange textile feel one) and a screen
> > protector (to defend it from the keys that it always end up in the
> > same pocket as).
> >

> This case? https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2155939

That's for a 6 - I've got a 5.

This case:
https://store.google.com/gb/product/pixel_5_case_fabric?hl=en-GB&pli=1

--
Simon

YTC#1

Feb 26, 2023, 5:32:35 AM2/26/23
Decision made.
Pixel 6a, with Google case.
They seem to be made of less brittle material than the 4a.

As always, thanks for listening to me and my purchasing angst :-)

After mulling over my requirements and phone choice the rugged (BV7200)
lost out despite being stock android due to being imported via Chinese
ownened companies[1].

[1] Yeah, I appreciate that most phones are made out there but I really
object to the loophole of imports from China, I go out of my way to
avoid buying products via Ebay and Amazon etc when the supplier is
ultimately in China.

Andy Burns

Feb 26, 2023, 5:39:38 AM2/26/23
YTCYTC#1 wrote:

> I'm open to case recommendations, but like you prefer an open front

For my Pixel3 I had the official fabric one, but since they don't sell
the Pixel5a here they don't sell the case either, I got a Spigen one
that's rubber but the same open front, it does have a slightly taller
'lip' which is a mixed blessing

Ace

Feb 26, 2023, 5:45:16 AM2/26/23
On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 18:28:02 +0000, YTC#1 <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk>
wrote:

>I know there are some other Pixel users out here, so before either drop
>back to Motorola or go for a rugged phone [1] are the newer Pixels any
>tougher?
>
>[1] I should really go for one, so what is the latest rugged of choice?

I switched from my Blackview to an Oukitel WP6 two years back, so not
the "latest" by any means, still on Android 9. But it's built like a
brick, weighs almost as much as one[1] and lasts a good week or more
between recharges, even with moderate to high use.

I see their latest is the WP21. https://oukitel.com/pages/oukitel-wp21
Looks pretty nice, although it costs about twice what I paid for mine.
I guess it's still a lot cheaper than the main known brands' offerings
though.

[1] Actually I don't find the weight an issue.
--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Ace

Feb 26, 2023, 5:48:26 AM2/26/23
On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 20:51:19 +0000, YTC#1 <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk>
wrote:

>(I still like the idea of a rugged, but not 100% sure Blackview counts
>as "stock" android.... )

I'm not sure there's really any such thing, but I never had any
problems with their Android build, just as I don't with my current
Oukitel.

Neither of them were overloaded with un-removable bloatware, both of
them allow me to use and customise the launcher of my choice (Apex
Launcher) and get rid of horrible stuff like the google app and search
bars from the main screen.

--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

YTC#1

Feb 26, 2023, 6:10:10 AM2/26/23
On 26/02/2023 10:45, Ace wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 18:28:02 +0000, YTC#1 <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> I know there are some other Pixel users out here, so before either drop
>> back to Motorola or go for a rugged phone [1] are the newer Pixels any
>> tougher?
>>
>> [1] I should really go for one, so what is the latest rugged of choice?
>
> I switched from my Blackview to an Oukitel WP6 two years back, so not
> the "latest" by any means, still on Android 9. But it's built like a

I don't mind being behind the curve, just maybe not that far :-)

> brick, weighs almost as much as one[1] and lasts a good week or more
> between recharges, even with moderate to high use.
>
> I see their latest is the WP21. https://oukitel.com/pages/oukitel-wp21

Never came up on my searches.

I'm sure I will be repeating this exercise again in about 2 years :-)

Mike Fleming

Feb 26, 2023, 6:49:38 AM2/26/23
On 25/02/2023 18:28, YTC#1 wrote:
> First up, I really really like my Pixel 4a.
> But it is made of some brittle shite.
>
> For the 3rd time, a low fall has broken it. This time it was fromthe arm
> of the camping chair on to my foot FFS!
>
> Last repair cost £150, fuck that not doing it again.
>
> I know there are some other Pixel users out here, so before  either drop
> back to Motorola or go for a rugged phone [1] are the newer Pixels any
> tougher?
>
> [1] I should really go for one, so what is the latest rugged of choice?

Pixel 6 Pro here, after a Nexus 5, Nexus 6 (all these moments lost in
time, like tears in rain), and after an LG and a Samsung returned to the
Google fold. I have always put cheap TPU/silicone/whatever cases on mine
and generally screen protectors (haven't put a protector on the 6 Pro)
and have never broken one - the cases are partly for protection and
partly to reduce the chance of the phone slipping out of a pocket as per
Moss in The IT Crowd. No breakages.

Bruce Horrocks

Feb 26, 2023, 7:54:59 AM2/26/23
On 25/02/2023 20:51, YTC#1 wrote:
> On 25/02/2023 18:45, Stephen Packer wrote:
>> On Saturday, 25 February 2023 at 18:28:06 UTC, YTC#1 wrote:
>>> First up, I really really like my Pixel 4a.
>>> But it is made of some brittle shite.
>>>
>>> For the 3rd time, a low fall has broken it. This time it was fromthe arm
>>> of the camping chair on to my foot FFS!
>>>
>>> Last repair cost £150, fuck that not doing it again.
>>>
>>> I know there are some other Pixel users out here, so before either drop
>>> back to Motorola or go for a rugged phone [1] are the newer Pixels any
>>> tougher?
>>
>> I've used Pixels for the last five or so years.  I always use one of
>> the wrap
>> around wallet cases which might look a bit shit but do seem to protect
>> them.   I didn't take the 'A' versions but bought the 'full' version
>> when it
>> got discounted.  In about six years I've broken one (cracked screen).
>>
>> I guess your mileage varied!
>

> Well, it looks like Pixel still has the edge on stuff I like (strangley
> the baromter is in the list), and  can get a 6a for £299.
>
> What is the wrap around case you use?
>
> (I still like the idea of a rugged, but not 100% sure Blackview counts
> as "stock" android.... )

If you like gadgets then Cat's rugged phones might be worth a look.
Latest (pre-order only at the moment) can use satellite data and texting
when out of signal. No price yet, though.

<https://www.catphones.com/en-gb/>

--
Bruce Horrocks
FJR1300AS

YTC#1

Feb 26, 2023, 11:32:51 AM2/26/23
On 26/02/2023 11:49, Mike Fleming wrote:
> On 25/02/2023 18:28, YTC#1 wrote:
>> First up, I really really like my Pixel 4a.
>> But it is made of some brittle shite.
>>
>> For the 3rd time, a low fall has broken it. This time it was fromthe
>> arm of the camping chair on to my foot FFS!
>>
>> Last repair cost £150, fuck that not doing it again.
>>
>> I know there are some other Pixel users out here, so before  either
>> drop back to Motorola or go for a rugged phone [1] are the newer
>> Pixels any tougher?
>>
>> [1] I should really go for one, so what is the latest rugged of choice?
>
> Pixel 6 Pro here, after a Nexus 5, Nexus 6 (all these moments lost in
> time, like tears in rain), and after an LG and a Samsung returned to the
> Google fold. I have always put cheap TPU/silicone/whatever cases on mine

As per previous post, once all the boxes were checked and dealt with, I
arrived back at the Pixel (6a) to give them another chance.

One of my main issues is how fucking big phones have become. The 4a was
just right. The 6a is at the edge of how large a phone should be. I
don't want to have to hold a phone in 2 hands.

> and generally screen protectors (haven't put a protector on the 6 Pro)
> and have never broken one - the cases are partly for protection and

Don't speak too soon.....

> partly to reduce the chance of the phone slipping out of a pocket as per
> Moss in The IT Crowd. No breakages.

YTC#1

Feb 26, 2023, 11:44:56 AM2/26/23
I'd considered Cat, but kept hitting the size issue again. (this one is
6.5")

Pipl

Feb 26, 2023, 5:22:38 PM2/26/23
On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 23:32:17 -0000 (UTC), Mark Olson
<ols...@tiny.invalid> wrote:

>The only handheld device I've broken didn't have a case at all, a Nexus
>7 tablet that slipped out of its sleeve and hit a concrete sidewalk.

The last phone I broke was because I stepped onto it, while hopping on
one leg in a damp grassy paddock and trying to put on MX boots. I
wondered why the usually creaky plastic made a strange "crack" at the
time. Don't think a case would have helped.

--

-Pip

Pipl

Feb 26, 2023, 5:25:00 PM2/26/23
On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 11:45:16 +0100, Ace <A...@ch.com> wrote:

>I switched from my Blackview to an Oukitel WP6 two years back, so not
>the "latest" by any means, still on Android 9. But it's built like a
>brick, weighs almost as much as one[1] and lasts a good week or more
>between recharges, even with moderate to high use.

I've seen it. I was wondering where the strange gravitational flux was
coming from last year. Think I was skiing at a slight angle.

--

-Pip

Cyril Motiti

Feb 26, 2023, 5:31:26 PM2/26/23
BUY LIBERTY CAPS - LIBERTY CAPS FOR SALE ONLINE-LIBERTY CAPS FOR SALE

buy liberty caps online, liberty caps for sale online, best liberty caps for sale, liberty caps magic mushrooms for sale online, buy liberty caps online in USA, buy liberty caps online at a cheap price.

What is a liberty cap? Put simply, it is a species of psilocybin mushroom, known as Psilocybe semilanceata.

Liberty caps are one of the most widely popular psilocybin mushrooms in nature and one of the most potent.

https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/index.php/product/liberty-caps-for-sale/

They have a recognizable appearance (reflected in the name “liberty cap”), and the first documented account of their psychoactive effects is an interesting one

LIBERTY CAPS FOR SALE

https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/index.php/product/liberty-caps-for-sale/

The cap of Psilocybe semilanceata is 5-30 mm in diameter and 6-22 mm tall.

They vary in shape from sharply conical to bell-shaped, often with a prominent papilla (the nipple-shaped structure).

https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/index.php/product/liberty-caps-for-sale/

https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/5-meo-dmt-cart-5ml-purecybin/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/albino-avery-magic-mushrooms/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/albino-penis-envy-mushrooms/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/ayahuasca-powder/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/b-magic-mushrooms/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/blue-meanie-magic-mushrooms/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/buy-4-aco-dmt-online/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/buy-5-meo-dmt/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/buy-ecstasy-pills-online/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/buy-lizard-king-mushrooms/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/buy-lsd-acid/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/buy-lsd-gel-tabs/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/buy-tidal-wave-shrooms/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/buy-wavy-cap-mushrooms/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/changa-dmt/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/dmt-carts/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/dmt-powder/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/dmt-vape-pens/https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/golden-teacher-magic-mushrooms/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/kratom-powder/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/liberty-caps-for-sale/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/lsd-liquid/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/magic-mushroom-microdose-capsules/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/melmac-penis-envy-mushrooms/
https://tripinpremiumsnacks.com/product/mimosa-hostilis-root-backmhrb/

Boots

Feb 26, 2023, 8:03:05 PM2/26/23
On 27/02/2023 06:22 Pipl penned these words:
I managed to break the screen on my P10+, don't know how but missed the last
step on the way to the lifts from the gym, stumbled couldn't recover and
launched myself into the wall opposite.Bashed my head, really cricked my neck
because I hit the wall at an angle and my cracked the screen on the phone.
--
Ian

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of
the last priest"

Mike Fleming

Feb 26, 2023, 9:14:15 PM2/26/23
On 26/02/2023 16:32, YTC#1 wrote:
> On 26/02/2023 11:49, Mike Fleming wrote:
>>
>> Pixel 6 Pro here, after a Nexus 5, Nexus 6 (all these moments lost in
>> time, like tears in rain), and after an LG and a Samsung returned to
>> the Google fold. I have always put cheap TPU/silicone/whatever cases
>> on mine
>
> As per previous post, once all the boxes were checked and dealt with, I
> arrived back at the Pixel (6a) to give them another chance.
>
> One of my main issues is how fucking big phones have become. The 4a was
> just right. The 6a is at the edge of how large a phone should be. I
> don't want to have to hold a phone in 2 hands.

My hands are only just larger than Donald Trump's and I can happily cope
with a 6.7" screen. You must have hands the size of Barbie, or maybe Ken.

Turby

Feb 26, 2023, 9:36:23 PM2/26/23
On 2/26/2023 6:14 PM, Mike Fleming wrote:

> My hands are only just larger than Donald Trump's

[applause]

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS & ST1100 (in memoriam)

YTC#1

Feb 27, 2023, 4:51:29 AM2/27/23
Horses for courses.

I remember 4" screens

RustyHinge

Feb 27, 2023, 5:01:39 AM2/27/23
On 27/02/2023 09:51, YTC#1 wrote:
> On 27/02/2023 02:14, Mike Fleming wrote:

>>> As per previous post, once all the boxes were checked and dealt with,
>>> I arrived back at the Pixel (6a) to give them another chance.
>>>
>>> One of my main issues is how fucking big phones have become. The 4a
>>> was just right. The 6a is at the edge of how large a phone should be.
>>> I don't want to have to hold a phone in 2 hands.
>>
>> My hands are only just larger than Donald Trump's and I can happily
>> cope with a 6.7" screen. You must have hands the size of Barbie, or
>> maybe Ken.
>>

> Horses for courses.
>
> I remember 4" screens

<mode=so what?> I remember 9" CRts on broadcast televisions.</mode>

--
Rusty Hinge

YTC#1

Feb 27, 2023, 6:56:17 AM2/27/23
That large?
Whippersnapper

Champ

Feb 27, 2023, 11:05:17 AM2/27/23
On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 19:34:37 +0000, Andy Burns <use...@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>The only one I managed to kill was the N5X which didn't like being
>washed and tumble dried.

Genuine LOL!
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Champ

Feb 27, 2023, 11:15:58 AM2/27/23
On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 11:49:34 +0000, Mike Fleming <mi...@tauzero.co.uk>
wrote:

>Pixel 6 Pro here, after a Nexus 5, Nexus 6 (all these moments lost in
>time, like tears in rain)

<polite applause>

chrisnd @ukrm

Feb 28, 2023, 5:07:22 AM2/28/23
On 27/02/2023 10:01, RustyHinge wrote:
"9"? We used to dream of having 9""

Chris
--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t

Andy Burns

Feb 28, 2023, 5:46:13 AM2/28/23
YTC#1 wrote:

> Mike Fleming wrote:
>
>> YTC#1 wrote:
>>
>>> One of my main issues is how fucking big phones have become. The 4a
>>> was just right. The 6a is at the edge of how large a phone should be.
>>> I don't want to have to hold a phone in 2 hands.
>>
>> My hands are only just larger than Donald Trump's and I can happily
>> cope with a 6.7" screen. You must have hands the size of Barbie, or
>> maybe Ken.
>
> Horses for courses.
> I remember 4" screens

The Nexus1 was my first smartphone (still have it and it still works,
but hates modern SSL) 3.7" and at the time that felt ok.

Every newer phone I've had since then has come with an unwanted larger
screen, but the manufacturers seem to think people keep buying the
bigger ones so they must want even bigger ...

Mark Olson

Feb 28, 2023, 8:30:52 AM2/28/23
chrisnd @ukrm <chr...@privacy.net> wrote:

> "9"? We used to dream of having 9""

That's what _she_ said.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Ace

Feb 28, 2023, 8:42:40 AM2/28/23
Funny how much has changed in a year or two. J's just had here work
iPhone replaced with an 11+ or somesuch, which is very nearly the same
size as my brick. Comes (from her employer) with both a protective
clip-on round the edges rubber case and a 'fold over the top including
tab to prop it up with' case which adds a bit more weight, so in
practice there's not much between them.

Just checked, hers comes to 311g all in, mine is 394g.

Anyway, if you were skiing with a slight angle at any point I must
have missed it. I mean, with only a slight angle...

--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

YTC#1

Feb 28, 2023, 11:43:39 AM2/28/23
I presume a lot is to do with the battery size, but even at 6.1" I find
it a stretch for my thumb to pull down something from the top while
holding it at the bottom where I type.

Mike Fleming must have a mutant thumb.

BORG

Feb 28, 2023, 1:45:21 PM2/28/23
On 26/02/2023 12:54, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
Love the 'You can use it UNDERWATER ,

then it's only 5 m for 35 mins cravat

wessie

Feb 28, 2023, 1:51:10 PM2/28/23
YTC#1 <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote in

> On 28/02/2023 10:46, Andy Burns wrote:
>> YTC#1 wrote:

>>> Horses for courses.
>>> I remember 4" screens
>>
>> The Nexus1 was my first smartphone (still have it and it still works,
>> but hates modern SSL) 3.7" and at the time that felt ok.
>>
>> Every newer phone I've had since then has come with an unwanted
>> larger screen, but the manufacturers seem to think people keep buying
>> the bigger ones so they must want even bigger ...
>>

> I presume a lot is to do with the battery size, but even at 6.1" I
> find it a stretch for my thumb to pull down something from the top
> while holding it at the bottom where I type.
>
> Mike Fleming must have a mutant thumb.

or just accustomed to pulling down on something that has always been a
two hand job. I hold mine in my right hand and swipe, prod and pull with
fingers on the left.

YTC#1

Feb 28, 2023, 4:27:20 PM2/28/23
Being old fashioned, I prefer to just use the one hand :-)

Mike Fleming

Mar 1, 2023, 6:26:37 AM3/1/23
I wouldn't recommend any form of neckwear underwater.

Mike Fleming

Mar 1, 2023, 6:29:00 AM3/1/23
On 28/02/2023 16:43, YTC#1 wrote:

> On 28/02/2023 10:46, Andy Burns wrote:
>> YTC#1 wrote:

>>> Horses for courses.
>>> I remember 4" screens
>>
>> The Nexus1 was my first smartphone (still have it and it still works,
>> but hates modern SSL) 3.7" and at the time that felt ok.
>>
>> Every newer phone I've had since then has come with an unwanted larger
>> screen, but the manufacturers seem to think people keep buying the
>> bigger ones so they must want even bigger ...
>>

> I presume a lot is to do with the battery size, but even at 6.1" I find
> it a stretch for my thumb to pull down something from the top while
> holding it at the bottom where I type.
>
> Mike Fleming must have a mutant thumb.

I hold the phone in one hand, and perform activity on it with the other
hand. Left thumb gets used for the fingerprint scanner and that's it.

YTC#1

Mar 1, 2023, 6:37:59 AM3/1/23
Not sure people understand that I think phones should be used in just
one hand.

wessie

Mar 1, 2023, 10:54:58 AM3/1/23

> Not sure people understand that I think phones should be used in just
> one hand.

you can use a phone in one hand but we are not really talking about
exclusively telephonic devices are we?

perhaps you need to get over calling it a phone if you cannot assign a new
meaning to the word like most people manage

RustyHinge

Mar 1, 2023, 11:02:39 AM3/1/23
Yes, but I expect ou were only 9 or 10 at te time

Mike Fleming

Mar 1, 2023, 11:22:43 AM3/1/23
You said "I don't want to have to hold a phone in 2 hands.". At the risk
of a protracted YTC argument, "hold" and "operate" (or "use") are
different terms. I hold the phone in one hand and press things on it
with the other.

YTC#1

Mar 1, 2023, 1:55:55 PM3/1/23
Maybe I was being modern, and dropping the 1st part of the word, you
know like rents :-)

YTC#1

Mar 1, 2023, 1:57:00 PM3/1/23
No argument here.
You are wrong, and that is enough for me :-)

> different terms. I hold the phone in one hand and press things on it
> with the other.

Mike Fleming

Mar 1, 2023, 3:17:17 PM3/1/23
I have never been known to be wrong in an argument with you, and this is
no exception. Did you know you can even use the internet as a dictionary
these days? Still, I shall leave this to the readership to decide.

Pipl

Mar 1, 2023, 4:55:18 PM3/1/23
On Tue, 28 Feb 2023 18:45:24 +0000, BORG <montagu...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>Love the 'You can use it UNDERWATER ,
>
>then it's only 5 m for 35 mins cravat

Might be related to IP ratings or a similar scale, though I can't
easily find an up-to-date list to confirm that.

--

-Pip

Pipl

Mar 1, 2023, 4:58:15 PM3/1/23
On Tue, 28 Feb 2023 18:51:08 -0000 (UTC), wessie
<willn...@tesco.net> wrote:

>YTC#1 <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote in
>> I presume a lot is to do with the battery size, but even at 6.1" I
>> find it a stretch for my thumb to pull down something from the top
>> while holding it at the bottom where I type.
>>
>> Mike Fleming must have a mutant thumb.
>>

>or just accustomed to pulling down on something that has always been a
>two hand job. I hold mine in my right hand and swipe, prod and pull with
>fingers on the left.

This sounds disturbingly like a "how I watch porn on my phone" thread.

--

-Pip

Pipl

Mar 1, 2023, 5:01:00 PM3/1/23
On Tue, 28 Feb 2023 14:42:39 +0100, Ace <A...@ch.com> wrote:

>Anyway, if you were skiing with a slight angle at any point I must
>have missed it. I mean, with only a slight angle...

<narrows eyes>

You dissin' ma style?

--

-Pip

Boots

Mar 1, 2023, 6:18:07 PM3/1/23
On 02/03/2023 05:55 Pipl penned these words:
> -7 I would guess, limited immersion, -6 is rainproof[1] I'd expect a phone to be
IP67 dust and immersion protected.

[1] Albeit the US mil spec on wind driven rain is way more comprehensive.
--
Ian

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of
the last priest"

wessie

Mar 1, 2023, 6:19:02 PM3/1/23
Pipl <plus...@live.co.uk> wrote in
thankyou Mr Murray

Ace

Mar 1, 2023, 6:31:31 PM3/1/23
On Thu, 2 Mar 2023 07:16:16 +0800, Boots
<ne...@millhouse-communications.co.uk> wrote:

>On 02/03/2023 05:55 Pipl penned these words:
>> On Tue, 28 Feb 2023 18:45:24 +0000, BORG <montagu...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Love the 'You can use it UNDERWATER ,
>>>
>>> then it's only 5 m for 35 mins cravat
>>
>> Might be related to IP ratings or a similar scale, though I can't
>> easily find an up-to-date list to confirm that.

> -7 I would guess, limited immersion, -6 is rainproof[1] I'd expect a phone to be
>IP67 dust and immersion protected.

5m for 35 minutes is _way_ more than IP68 spec, which is something
like 1.5m, with -7 being only .5m. Some of the tough phones do indeed
make claims far in excess of their IP ratings, given that the scale
only goes up to IP68.

I've certainly used my last two IP68-rated phones in the pool, but
haven't risked taking them down when snorkelling.
--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Turby

Mar 1, 2023, 6:31:35 PM3/1/23
On 3/1/2023 3:37 AM, YTC#1 wrote:

> Not sure people understand that I think phones should be used in just
> one hand.

Friggin' pervert.

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS & ST1100 (in memoriam)

Ace

Mar 1, 2023, 6:31:53 PM3/1/23
Angulation's good though, innit?
--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

YTC#1

Mar 2, 2023, 4:15:27 AM3/2/23
Again, you misread. So I will expand.
You are wrong in the way you use your phone.

You are wrong.
You are
You

YTC#1

Mar 2, 2023, 4:15:56 AM3/2/23
On 01/03/2023 23:31, Turby wrote:
> On 3/1/2023 3:37 AM, YTC#1 wrote:
>>

>> Not sure people understand that I think phones should be used in just
>> one hand.
>>
> Friggin' pervert.

Well, one hand has to remain free

Champ

Mar 2, 2023, 5:53:08 AM3/2/23
On Wed, 1 Mar 2023 11:26:35 +0000, Mike Fleming <mi...@tauzero.co.uk>
wrote:

>>> If you like gadgets then Cat's rugged phones might be worth a look.
>>> Latest (pre-order only at the moment) can use satellite data and
>>> texting when out of signal. No price yet, though.
>>>
>>> <https://www.catphones.com/en-gb/>
>>>
>> Love the 'You can use it UNDERWATER ,
>>
>> then it's only 5 m for 35 mins cravat

>I wouldn't recommend any form of neckwear underwater.

<aplause>
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Champ

Mar 2, 2023, 5:56:12 AM3/2/23
On Wed, 1 Mar 2023 20:17:14 +0000, Mike Fleming <mi...@tauzero.co.uk>
wrote:
<this reader casts vote....

... and it doesn't go towards YTC>

Ace

Mar 3, 2023, 4:41:24 AM3/3/23
On Thu, 02 Mar 2023 10:56:09 +0000, Champ <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote:

>On Wed, 1 Mar 2023 20:17:14 +0000, Mike Fleming <mi...@tauzero.co.uk>
>wrote:

>>> No argument here.
>>> You are wrong, and that is enough for me :-)
>
>>I have never been known to be wrong in an argument with you, and this is
>>no exception. Did you know you can even use the internet as a dictionary
>>these days? Still, I shall leave this to the readership to decide.
>
><this reader casts vote....
>
>... and it doesn't go towards YTC>

#Were you there, and tell me, did you notice?
#They were all out of step but Jim
--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/