Yet another car question

Champ

Dec 19, 2004, 10:47:43 AM12/19/04
My employers, in their infinite wisdom, have decided that they are
going to phase out company cars, and replace them with a car
allowance. So, I have to decide what to do.

The car allowance is worth around 4.8k quid a year. On top of that,
I'm taxed about 3k on my current Saab. Doing the sums (allowance
after tax, plus the current taxable benefit) gives a figure of around
400 quid a month. Setting aside something for insurance & servicing,
I'm looking at 300~350 per month to use for a car purchase (having
just moved house, I've got no capital available for this, so it's
going to have to be some form of finance).

Requirements: Any car I get must be up to long motorway pounding,
swallow loads of gear (essentially dictating a hatchback or small
estate), be reliable and not require much time or attention from me.
It would also be nice if it is fun to drive - reasonable power and
decent enough handling.

There are several options:

1. Buy my current car.
I've been offered my current car (Saab 9-3t SE) for 7k. It's just
coming up to 3 years old and got 35k miles on it, and is generally in
good nick. This seems like a good-ish price according to the online
price guides. And I do really like it. On the plus side, I've had it
since new, and know its history. On the down side, *I've* had it
since new, and know its history. It also just so happens that 7k over
two years costs about £350 per month.

2. Buy something 'sporting'
I've always wanted a Scooby-do. Just the cooking WRX would do me ok -
200 and something bhp. There was a new version in 2000, and a brief
look shows these as sort of affordable now, tho the finance would
probably have to be 3+ years Problem is, I'd have to get the 'wagon'
version, and they're much rarer.

3. Buy something brand new
What can you get on PCP, contract lease, and other finance plans of
the devil? Any recommendations?

4. Stop being so silly
Just buy a middle-aged Eurobox (e.g. Mondeo 2.0) and spend the money
saved on motorbikes.

5. Something else completely
What haven't I thought of?

I throw myself at your mercy.
--
Champ

Dr Zoidberg

Dec 19, 2004, 10:58:00 AM12/19/04
Champ wrote:
> My employers, in their infinite wisdom, have decided that they are
> going to phase out company cars, and replace them with a car
> allowance. So, I have to decide what to do.
>
> The car allowance is worth around 4.8k quid a year. On top of that,
> I'm taxed about 3k on my current Saab. Doing the sums (allowance
> after tax, plus the current taxable benefit) gives a figure of around
> 400 quid a month.

Are you sure you have that right?
Assuming 40% tax you will end up with Ł240 P/M allowance plus the Ł250 P/M
that you were paying in tax , so just shy of Ł500 a month.

> Requirements: Any car I get must be up to long motorway pounding,
> swallow loads of gear (essentially dictating a hatchback or small
> estate), be reliable and not require much time or attention from me.
> It would also be nice if it is fun to drive - reasonable power and
> decent enough handling.
>
> There are several options:
>

> 5. Something else completely
> What haven't I thought of?

Skoda Octavia VRS.
The old shape octy based on the Golf mk4 can be had new for about 13.5k
which would be well within your budget on one of the final payment finance
deals , or under Ł400 per month for the whole thing over 4 years.
It has a huge boot , is very comfy for long journeys , and is pretty brisk
by car standards (noticably more so when remapped).
They also don't go wrong a great deal.
--
Alex

YZF 600

"I laugh in the face of danger"

"Then I hide until it goes away"

www.upce.org.uk
www.drzoidberg.co.uk

jsp

Dec 19, 2004, 11:03:59 AM12/19/04
Champ wrote:

> My employers, in their infinite wisdom, have decided that they are
> going to phase out company cars, and replace them with a car
> allowance. So, I have to decide what to do.

[snip tale and options 1 -4]

> 5. Something else completely
> What haven't I thought of?

Goldwing and trailer?

Get a sidecar for the Gixxer?

> I throw myself at your mercy.

Dangerous move.

--
John

SV650
Black it is
and naked

Mark Olson

Dec 19, 2004, 11:07:23 AM12/19/04
Champ wrote:

> My employers, in their infinite wisdom, have decided that they are
> going to phase out company cars, and replace them with a car
> allowance. So, I have to decide what to do.

[snip]

> There are several options:

[snip boring options 1-3]

> 4. Stop being so silly
> Just buy a middle-aged Eurobox (e.g. Mondeo 2.0) and spend the money
> saved on motorbikes.

4) No, remain silly and buy a motorbike, the sillier the better[1].

--
Mark '01 SV650S [1]'86 GL1200A '81 CM400T '99 EX250-F13

Grimly Curmudgeon

Dec 19, 2004, 11:08:27 AM12/19/04
It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember Champ <ne...@champ.org.uk> saying
something like:

>4. Stop being so silly
>Just buy a middle-aged Eurobox (e.g. Mondeo 2.0) and spend the money
>saved on motorbikes.
>
>5. Something else completely
>What haven't I thought of?

Get a Blandomobile, as above, and spend the rest on something
interesting, like motorcycles, as you suggest; but may I offer -
cocaine, whores, classic cars. You could get a very nice old bus for
occasional use - say a Scimitar that's had lots of money spent on it for
just a couple of grand. It'd still be a business car.

--

Dave

GS 850 x2 / SE 6a
SbS#6 DIAABTCOD#16 APOSTLE#6 FUB#3
FUB KotL OSOS#12? UKRMMA#19 COSOC#10

Champ

Dec 19, 2004, 11:30:33 AM12/19/04
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 10:07:23 -0600, Mark Olson <ols...@tiny.invalid>
wrote:

>Champ wrote:
>>
>> My employers, in their infinite wisdom, have decided that they are
>> going to phase out company cars, and replace them with a car
>> allowance. So, I have to decide what to do.
>
>[snip]
>
>> There are several options:
>
>[snip boring options 1-3]
>
>> 4. Stop being so silly
>> Just buy a middle-aged Eurobox (e.g. Mondeo 2.0) and spend the money
>> saved on motorbikes.
>
>4) No, remain silly and buy a motorbike, the sillier the better[1].

Thanks very much for your time, but I've already got 3 motorcycles,
all of which can be classed as at least fairly silly.
--
Champ

Champ

Dec 19, 2004, 11:35:21 AM12/19/04
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 15:58:00 -0000, "Dr Zoidberg"
<AlexNOOOOOOO!!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote:

>Champ wrote:
>> My employers, in their infinite wisdom, have decided that they are
>> going to phase out company cars, and replace them with a car
>> allowance. So, I have to decide what to do.
>>
>> The car allowance is worth around 4.8k quid a year. On top of that,
>> I'm taxed about 3k on my current Saab. Doing the sums (allowance
>> after tax, plus the current taxable benefit) gives a figure of around
>> 400 quid a month.

I knew I'd get this wrong (and now I've looked at my working, I think
my original post was wrong, but still different from you). My sums
are:
- £4.8k on my salary, taxed at 40%, gives me is £2880pa.
- 3k taxable benefit on current car means I pay £1200pa in tax.
- Total increase in net salary is £4080, which equals £340 pm.

What am I doing wrong?
--
Champ

Stonge

Dec 19, 2004, 11:38:47 AM12/19/04
"Dr Zoidberg" wrote:

> Skoda Octavia VRS.
> is pretty brisk by car standards...

It's *very* brisk for a car, and handles like it's on rails - excellent fun.

--
Stonge

Rasman99

Dec 19, 2004, 11:39:47 AM12/19/04

"Champ" <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote in message

Champ

I left a company car scheme and went PCP a few years ago and found it worked
out pretty well.
Have your company got an age limit on the cars? Ours is set at 5 years
presumeably to stop the SOC merchants not being available for work due to
said SOC self destructing, going on fire etc. Will your car be worth
anything 5 years old?
Does your current car need anything? tyres, zosts etc. Tyres,tax and
insurance add up quickly when you are paying and always need renewed /sorted
simultaneously.
Other things to consider with your current car against new Road tax,
breakdown cover and sometimes insurance can be tied into a new car deal and
business insurance is dearer, if you are insuring anyone else and they have
points on their licence you get shafted for them as well!!
Does your curent motor need anything? tyres, zosts etc. Tyres Tax and
insurance add up quickly when you are paying and sods law will state they
need renewed /sorted simultaneously.
My company restricts certain cars, sports cars, 2 door stuff and off
roaders, GTi's etc are acceptable any limits there?. Some people went for 0%
forecourt deals and took what they got (Euroboxes etc) all with 3 year
warranty and pocketed the rest, one guy managed to work 2 cars at 0% and
give one to his good lady as a pressie!
My PCP needed a downpayment and a final settlement (due next fecking month)
if Sir is stretched I would stick with 0% deals.
You should do pretty well with the IR fuel allowance as you will get 40p per
mile for the 10K miles a year you do, so add that into your calculations,
this where oil burners LPG machines come in handy.

HTH

Bear

Dec 19, 2004, 11:37:30 AM12/19/04
In article <32lmoaF...@individual.net>, Dr Zoidberg says...
> Champ wrote:

> > 5. Something else completely
> > What haven't I thought of?
>
> Skoda Octavia VRS.

Ho yuss. I think Champ's probably a bit image conscious for one, but
good call :) JP's mob had one on test and it held up *very* well,
compared to Scoobies and the like. Test drives freely available, so
Champ could check it out, but be aware most Skoda dealers are, IME,
utterly shite.

> The old shape octy based on the Golf mk4 can be had new for about 13.5k
> which would be well within your budget on one of the final payment finance

> deals , or under £400 per month for the whole thing over 4 years.

> It has a huge boot , is very comfy for long journeys , and is pretty brisk
> by car standards (noticably more so when remapped).
> They also don't go wrong a great deal.

If you're allowed to buy something used, I'd say get one 18 months old
with minimal miles, where you'll have a bit of warrantee left ... they
depreciate like crazy the first 2 years or so, so would be an even
better buy.

There were, last year, some very good deals on Mercs for company leasing
too. You won't get as much for your money (assuming you're allowed to
buy used), but the residuals are fairly bombproof, and they do miles
very nicely.
--
Bear
"Don't believe the hype"

Dr Zoidberg

Dec 19, 2004, 11:41:10 AM12/19/04

I've been a passenger in a remapped one and it did indeed go like stink.
I have the more sensible TDI version which is still a very nice car.

Dr Zoidberg

Dec 19, 2004, 11:48:36 AM12/19/04

Well the £2880 is correct figure for your allowance , and your 3k taxable
benefit looks about right as well , so your £340 p/m seems right.
That's quite a stingy allowance if they expect you to run a car equivalent
to your saab.

I get a £7k per year allowance instead of (I think) an £18k company car.

Dr Zoidberg

Dec 19, 2004, 11:53:10 AM12/19/04
Bear wrote:
> In article <32lmoaF...@individual.net>, Dr Zoidberg says...
>> Champ wrote:
>
>>> 5. Something else completely
>>> What haven't I thought of?
>>
>> Skoda Octavia VRS.
>
> Ho yuss. I think Champ's probably a bit image conscious for one, but
> good call :) JP's mob had one on test and it held up *very* well,
> compared to Scoobies and the like.

Quite a few impreza owners have defected to get essentially the same
performance with much lower running costs and a more spacious car.

> Test drives freely available, so
> Champ could check it out, but be aware most Skoda dealers are, IME,
> utterly shite.

They do well on top gear's surveys and I've been pretty happy with the one's
I've used.

_Ginge

Dec 19, 2004, 11:56:47 AM12/19/04
In article <pk8bs0511cjf87s24...@4ax.com>, Champ says...

> My employers, in their infinite wisdom, have decided that they are
> going to phase out company cars, and replace them with a car
> allowance. So, I have to decide what to do.

First thing, and do this *right now* is to get them to write you a
letter stating your insurance history, then shop around and find
insurers that recognise it and get some quotes on a range of things.

You might find getting business insurance coverage a bit interesting
without NCB.

4.8K is actually quite good. I'm toying with doing the same thing next
year, again for tax reasons, only I get about 2/3 of your allowance.
Everyone at my place who wants a decent car has opted out or
contributes.. and I don't like the idea of giving my own money to PHH..

In your position I'd buy a run of the mill 3 year old TDI estate and run
it for 2 years, squirelling away a bit of a contingency fund, chop it in
on the sporty toy your really want a few year from now.

Also, remember to start keeping a log of your mileages - your employer
will pay you a nominal figure for petrol (mine pays 12.9p/mile) but the
taxman says you're entitled to 40p/mile for running your own car, so
claim the difference back against your tax code each year.

HTH

The Older Gentleman

Dec 19, 2004, 12:00:38 PM12/19/04
Champ <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote:

> 2. Buy something 'sporting'
> I've always wanted a Scooby-do.

You *might* consider a Forester. Essentially the same engine (lower
state of tune, mind!), permanent (I think) 4WD, bloody good performance
specs (0-60 in 8 seconds, IIRC), and as it's an estate, rather a lot of
space inside.

I considered one before I bought the Silver Tuddy, but it was out of my
budget. Within yours, though, I think.

--
Trophy 1200 (Doctored) 750SS CB400F CD200 ST70 DT50MX
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06 YTC#3

The Older Gentleman

Dec 19, 2004, 12:01:46 PM12/19/04
Stonge <stong...@HotPOP.com> wrote:

Our printers have got one and I've been a passenger in it. Indeed, it
shifteth. The interior fabrics and trim take a bit of getting used to,
mind.

_Ginge

Dec 19, 2004, 11:59:53 AM12/19/04
In article <c5bbs09fi8ttktbo9...@4ax.com>, Champ says...

Not budgeting for servicing & wear and tear
(you really need to split some of that fund out)

Not budgeting for businesss insurance.

Not allowing for claiming back the difference between your fuel expenses
and the IR mileage allowance.

Sorby

Dec 19, 2004, 12:01:06 PM12/19/04
"Champ" <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote in message
> My employers, in their infinite wisdom, have decided that they are
> going to phase out company cars, and replace them with a car
> allowance. So, I have to decide what to do.
<snip>

> 2. Buy something 'sporting'
> I've always wanted a Scooby-do. Just the cooking WRX would do me ok -
> 200 and something bhp. There was a new version in 2000, and a brief
> look shows these as sort of affordable now, tho the finance would
> probably have to be 3+ years Problem is, I'd have to get the 'wagon'
> version, and they're much rarer.

My BiL is intending to sell his Scooby 2L turbo 'estate'. 'R' reg though,
too old for you?
Here's pic : http://www.robdunsford.com/scooby.jpg
I can let you have the details if you want. It's had all the 'sensible'
engine & exhaust mods.

But the main reason he's selling it is it's dire fuel economy. Would that be
a problem for you?

--
Sorby

Bear

Dec 19, 2004, 12:11:12 PM12/19/04
In article <32lpvoF...@individual.net>, Dr Zoidberg says...
> Bear wrote:

> > Test drives freely available, so
> > Champ could check it out, but be aware most Skoda dealers are, IME,
> > utterly shite.
>
> They do well on top gear's surveys and I've been pretty happy with the one's
> I've used.

I've had experience of 3, and they've been universally hopeless.

Of course, it helps if you don't have a girlfriend who seems to crash
cars every 5 minutes. The repair shops at Skoda dealers seem *awful*. I
sent one paintwork repair back twice before they did it even halfway
right.

Helps even more if your girlfriend doesn't then smash up the courtesy
car too ... jesus these blondes are expensive to run :)

Champ

Dec 19, 2004, 1:11:36 PM12/19/04
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:59:53 -0000, _Ginge <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

>In article <c5bbs09fi8ttktbo9...@4ax.com>, Champ says...

>> What am I doing wrong?

>Not budgeting for servicing & wear and tear
> (you really need to split some of that fund out)

See initial post (yes, I realise it was a bit long and boring)

>Not budgeting for businesss insurance.

Yersh. Wonder how much that will add.

>Not allowing for claiming back the difference between your fuel expenses
>and the IR mileage allowance.

Oh, I can't be arsed with hard sums like that.

--
Champ

Champ

Dec 19, 2004, 1:16:40 PM12/19/04
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:37:30 -0000, Bear <bastard...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>In article <32lmoaF...@individual.net>, Dr Zoidberg says...
>> Champ wrote:
>
>> > 5. Something else completely
>> > What haven't I thought of?
>>
>> Skoda Octavia VRS.
>
>Ho yuss. I think Champ's probably a bit image conscious for one

I find it very hard to admit, but this is in fact true :-/
--
Champ

steve robinson

Dec 19, 2004, 1:16:31 PM12/19/04

"Dr Zoidberg" <AlexNOOOOOOO!!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote in message
don't forget that all your costs associated with work apart from going to
and from become tax deductible and you can claim a right down value of 25%
per year on your car less a percentage for private use

you can set all service costs and insurance too against your tax again less
a percentage for private use

Champ

Dec 19, 2004, 1:15:00 PM12/19/04
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:48:36 -0000, "Dr Zoidberg"
<AlexNOOOOOOO!!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote:

>> I knew I'd get this wrong (and now I've looked at my working, I think
>> my original post was wrong, but still different from you). My sums
>> are:
>> - £4.8k on my salary, taxed at 40%, gives me is £2880pa.
>> - 3k taxable benefit on current car means I pay £1200pa in tax.
>> - Total increase in net salary is £4080, which equals £340 pm.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>
>Well the £2880 is correct figure for your allowance , and your 3k taxable
>benefit looks about right as well , so your £340 p/m seems right.

So, where did you get 500 quid a month from.

>That's quite a stingy allowance if they expect you to run a car equivalent
>to your saab.

Ah, there's the rub. When my current employers bought my previous
employers, my contract was fucked about such that I'm eligible for a
£14k car. We were all royally screwed over, to be frank, with a "sign
it or find a new job" ultimatum. I'd *just* got the Saab at the time,
so figured that I had 3 years to see what happened. But now that
particular chicken has just come home to roost.

>I get a £7k per year allowance instead of (I think) an £18k company car.

Cahn :-/
--
Champ

Champ

Dec 19, 2004, 1:16:10 PM12/19/04
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:53:10 -0000, "Dr Zoidberg"
<AlexNOOOOOOO!!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote:

>Bear wrote:

>>> Skoda Octavia VRS.
>>
>> Ho yuss. I think Champ's probably a bit image conscious for one, but
>> good call :) JP's mob had one on test and it held up *very* well,
>> compared to Scoobies and the like.
>
>Quite a few impreza owners have defected to get essentially the same
>performance with much lower running costs and a more spacious car.

Hang on a mo. If the Skoda is based on the Golf, how does it have the
same performance as a Scooby?
--
Champ

Champ

Dec 19, 2004, 1:20:02 PM12/19/04
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:01:06 -0000, "Sorby"
<sorby69_R...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Champ" <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote in message
>> My employers, in their infinite wisdom, have decided that they are
>> going to phase out company cars, and replace them with a car
>> allowance. So, I have to decide what to do.
><snip>
>
>> 2. Buy something 'sporting'
>> I've always wanted a Scooby-do. Just the cooking WRX would do me ok -
>> 200 and something bhp. There was a new version in 2000, and a brief
>> look shows these as sort of affordable now, tho the finance would
>> probably have to be 3+ years Problem is, I'd have to get the 'wagon'
>> version, and they're much rarer.
>
>My BiL is intending to sell his Scooby 2L turbo 'estate'. 'R' reg though,
>too old for you?

Hmm. A little.

>Here's pic : http://www.robdunsford.com/scooby.jpg
>I can let you have the details if you want. It's had all the 'sensible'
>engine & exhaust mods.

Ooh, go on then.

>But the main reason he's selling it is it's dire fuel economy. Would that be
>a problem for you?

Ah. Could be. I don't mind it being thirsty when I boot it, as long
as it's not too bad when motorway cruising.
--
Champ

Steve Brassett

Dec 19, 2004, 1:24:10 PM12/19/04

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:48:36 -0000, "Dr Zoidberg"
> <AlexNOOOOOOO!!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> I knew I'd get this wrong (and now I've looked at my working, I
>>> think
>>> my original post was wrong, but still different from you). My sums
>>> are:
>>> - £4.8k on my salary, taxed at 40%, gives me is £2880pa.
>>> - 3k taxable benefit on current car means I pay £1200pa in tax.
>>> - Total increase in net salary is £4080, which equals £340 pm.
>>>
>>> What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>Well the £2880 is correct figure for your allowance , and your 3k
>>taxable
>>benefit looks about right as well , so your £340 p/m seems right.
>
> So, where did you get 500 quid a month from.

I think he interpreted your original post as saying you paid
3K per year in tax, rather than being taxed on 3k per year.

--
Steve Brassett

Champ

Dec 19, 2004, 1:23:35 PM12/19/04
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:56:47 -0000, _Ginge <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

>In article <pk8bs0511cjf87s24...@4ax.com>, Champ says...
>> My employers, in their infinite wisdom, have decided that they are
>> going to phase out company cars, and replace them with a car
>> allowance. So, I have to decide what to do.
>
>First thing, and do this *right now* is to get them to write you a
>letter stating your insurance history, then shop around and find
>insurers that recognise it and get some quotes on a range of things.

Yeah - like I'm going to get anything out of HR the week before
Christmas.

>You might find getting business insurance coverage a bit interesting
>without NCB.

Quite.

>In your position I'd buy a run of the mill 3 year old TDI estate and run
>it for 2 years, squirelling away a bit of a contingency fund, chop it in
>on the sporty toy your really want a few year from now.

Sensible advice. Which I'm fairly sure I'm going to completely
ignore. :-)

>Also, remember to start keeping a log of your mileages - your employer
>will pay you a nominal figure for petrol (mine pays 12.9p/mile) but the
>taxman says you're entitled to 40p/mile for running your own car, so
>claim the difference back against your tax code each year.

Sure. Thing is, I don't do much business mileage nowadays (the tax
system changed in my favour at exactly the right time), so it won't
make a huge difference.
--
Champ

Steve Brassett

Dec 19, 2004, 1:25:03 PM12/19/04

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:59:53 -0000, _Ginge <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>In article <c5bbs09fi8ttktbo9...@4ax.com>, Champ
>>says...
>
>>> What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>Not budgeting for servicing & wear and tear
>> (you really need to split some of that fund out)
>
> See initial post (yes, I realise it was a bit long and boring)
>
>>Not budgeting for businesss insurance.
>
> Yersh. Wonder how much that will add.

About 10% for me. It's becoming more standard.

--
Steve Brassett

Champ

Dec 19, 2004, 1:25:42 PM12/19/04
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:39:47 GMT, "Rasman99"
<nos...@blooyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>I left a company car scheme and went PCP a few years ago and found it worked
>out pretty well.

Got any numbers? (i.e. pounds shillings and pence).

>Does your current car need anything? tyres, zosts etc.

No. I tried to wangle a service on it last month, and the wouldn't
wear it. And, despite my best efforts, the current set of tyres are
only half worn.

>My PCP needed a downpayment and a final settlement (due next fecking month)
>if Sir is stretched I would stick with 0% deals.

Which PCP company/deal do you use?
--
Champ

Lozzo

Dec 19, 2004, 1:24:40 PM12/19/04
Champ says...

> Hang on a mo. If the Skoda is based on the Golf, how does it have the
> same performance as a Scooby?

The Octavia VRS is a very very fast car.

Based on the Bora, and I don't give a fuck what SteveH says about the
Golf and Bora being the same car, they aren't. From the B post back, the
Golf and Bora have different bodies.

--
Lozzo
ZX-9R

_Ginge

Dec 19, 2004, 1:27:26 PM12/19/04
In article <64hbs0tp3c9gn3irt...@4ax.com>, Champ says...

> I'm eligible for a £14k car.

Erk. My £300ish/month lease allowance can just about scrape 17K's worth
of vehicle on a 4 year deal if I go for one of the mainstream brand
fleetmobiles. Even the 2.2 Astra cost 15.5K almost 4 years ago.

Sounds like you've been screwed.

Dr Zoidberg

Dec 19, 2004, 1:27:54 PM12/19/04
Champ wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:48:36 -0000, "Dr Zoidberg"
> <AlexNOOOOOOO!!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> I knew I'd get this wrong (and now I've looked at my working, I
>>> think my original post was wrong, but still different from you). My
>>> sums are:
>>> - £4.8k on my salary, taxed at 40%, gives me is £2880pa.
>>> - 3k taxable benefit on current car means I pay £1200pa in tax.
>>> - Total increase in net salary is £4080, which equals £340 pm.
>>>
>>> What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> Well the £2880 is correct figure for your allowance , and your 3k
>> taxable benefit looks about right as well , so your £340 p/m seems
>> right.
>
> So, where did you get 500 quid a month from.

I hadn't engaged brain fully so when you said you were taxed 3k on the saab
I assumed that was how much tax you were paying , and not the taxable value.
Plainly ridiculous unless Saabs were bloody expensive.

>> That's quite a stingy allowance if they expect you to run a car
>> equivalent to your saab.
>
> Ah, there's the rub. When my current employers bought my previous
> employers, my contract was fucked about such that I'm eligible for a
> £14k car. We were all royally screwed over, to be frank, with a "sign
> it or find a new job" ultimatum. I'd *just* got the Saab at the time,
> so figured that I had 3 years to see what happened. But now that
> particular chicken has just come home to roost.

Sounds about right.

>> I get a £7k per year allowance instead of (I think) an £18k company
>> car.
>
> Cahn :-/

Indeed.
It's generous enough to entirely pay for the loan for my Octy , plus the
insurance and servicing without having to take into account the amount of
tax I'd be paying on a company car.
Plus the 11p a mile fuel allowance means that I make about 25 quid profit on
a full tank of diesel used for business miles.

Champ

Dec 19, 2004, 1:27:56 PM12/19/04
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:08:27 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon
<grimlycur...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
>drugs began to take hold. I remember Champ <ne...@champ.org.uk> saying
>something like:

>>4. Stop being so silly
>>Just buy a middle-aged Eurobox (e.g. Mondeo 2.0) and spend the money
>>saved on motorbikes.
>>

>>5. Something else completely
>>What haven't I thought of?
>

>Get a Blandomobile, as above, and spend the rest on something
>interesting, like motorcycles, as you suggest; but may I offer -
>cocaine, whores, classic cars.

I like the way you think :-) 'cept the classic cars bit. I like old
bikes (a bit), but I haven't the faintest interest in old cars.

>You could get a very nice old bus for
>occasional use - say a Scimitar that's had lots of money spent on it for
>just a couple of grand. It'd still be a business car.

Ugh. I don't want anything that I even have to *think* spending time
and money on. I simply cannot abide working on cars (one of the
reasons I've had company motors for the last 14 years).
--
Champ

Champ

Dec 19, 2004, 1:30:04 PM12/19/04
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:38:47 -0000, "Stonge" <stong...@HotPOP.com>
wrote:

>"Dr Zoidberg" wrote:
>
>> Skoda Octavia VRS.
>> is pretty brisk by car standards...
>
>It's *very* brisk for a car, and handles like it's on rails - excellent fun.

Anyone got any figures for this vehicle?
--
Champ

Dr Zoidberg

Dec 19, 2004, 1:29:38 PM12/19/04

1.8 Turbo engine making 180 bhp as standard instead of the 150 that the Golf
GTI gets.
Add a 400 quid remap to get 235 bhp.

Also the 4wd system in the scooby saps a fair bit of power

Cane

Dec 19, 2004, 1:32:13 PM12/19/04
"Champ" <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote in message

> 2. Buy something 'sporting'

I fancy a 911 next but I'm a bit younger than you so it'll look less MLC
for me.

--
cane Ś fireblade
Aquila non captat muscas

Bear

Dec 19, 2004, 1:36:11 PM12/19/04
In article <dbhbs052ri2equfr9...@4ax.com>, Champ says...

heh, knew it :)

Tell you what, why not *try* one?

There's also the giggle to be had in comprehensively destroying Scooby
owner's egos with one. The VRS is quick (not supercar quick, but
certainly fast in the right hands; great "point-to-point" car), handles
well, is *very* well (and solidly) built, and would be *ideal* for what
you want.

I double-dare you to try one and give us a review afterwards :)

Dr Zoidberg

Dec 19, 2004, 1:36:11 PM12/19/04

0-60 in 8 seconds as standard.
143 top speed.

A supposedly standard one was timed at 6.7 seconds to 60 buy Autocar
magazine , but it had probably been remapped.

Champ

Dec 19, 2004, 1:36:26 PM12/19/04
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:32:13 -0000, "Cane"
<dontfuck...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Champ" <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote in message
>
>> 2. Buy something 'sporting'
>
>I fancy a 911 next but I'm a bit younger than you so it'll look less MLC
>for me.

You're not *that* much younger than me
--
Champ

SteveH

Dec 19, 2004, 1:39:31 PM12/19/04
Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> wrote:

> > Hang on a mo. If the Skoda is based on the Golf, how does it have the
> > same performance as a Scooby?
>
> The Octavia VRS is a very very fast car.
>
> Based on the Bora, and I don't give a fuck what SteveH says about the
> Golf and Bora being the same car, they aren't. From the B post back, the
> Golf and Bora have different bodies.

It's all in the floorpan, you numpty.

In the same way a MkI A4, MkII A6 and previous shape Passat all share
the same platform.

HTH.

VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - VW Passat 1.8T 20V SE - COSOC KOTL

The Older Gentleman

Dec 19, 2004, 1:38:11 PM12/19/04
Dr Zoidberg <AlexNOOOOOOO!!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote:

> A supposedly standard one was timed at 6.7 seconds to 60

That sounds like the ultimate Q-car IMHO, especially if debadged.

Champ

Dec 19, 2004, 1:38:05 PM12/19/04

Er, no. Don't be so suspcious. Our contracts are worded such that
those eligible for a car have the value of the car defined. If you
choose to take an allowance instead, it's simple 1/3rd of the stated
car value.
--
Champ

Champ

Dec 19, 2004, 1:38:40 PM12/19/04

Oh, ok - shouldn't be a problem then.
--
Champ

Champ

Dec 19, 2004, 1:39:40 PM12/19/04
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:29:38 -0000, "Dr Zoidberg"
<AlexNOOOOOOO!!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote:

>Champ wrote:
>> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:53:10 -0000, "Dr Zoidberg"
>> <AlexNOOOOOOO!!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Quite a few impreza owners have defected to get essentially the same
>>> performance with much lower running costs and a more spacious car.
>>
>> Hang on a mo. If the Skoda is based on the Golf, how does it have the
>> same performance as a Scooby?
>
>1.8 Turbo engine making 180 bhp as standard instead of the 150 that the Golf
>GTI gets.
>Add a 400 quid remap to get 235 bhp.

Ah! That's the significant bit

>Also the 4wd system in the scooby saps a fair bit of power

Yeah, I knew that, but didn't know how much,
--
Champ

SteveH

Dec 19, 2004, 1:40:43 PM12/19/04
Dr Zoidberg <AlexNOOOOOOO!!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote:

> > Hang on a mo. If the Skoda is based on the Golf, how does it have the
> > same performance as a Scooby?
>
> 1.8 Turbo engine making 180 bhp as standard instead of the 150 that the Golf
> GTI gets.
> Add a 400 quid remap to get 235 bhp.

Don't you have to be a bit careful with this - the 150 and 180bhp cars
share the same internals, so no issue chipping a Golf / Passat to
180bhp, however, the 225(?) bhp version in the TT had modified internals
to cope with the extra power.

platypus

Dec 19, 2004, 1:43:04 PM12/19/04
Champ wrote:

> 5. Something else completely
> What haven't I thought of?

You want a nice Multipla, you do.

> I throw myself at your mercy.

*BWAHAHAHA! CRAWL, WORM!*

--
platypus

mean old daddy

Bear

Dec 19, 2004, 1:44:32 PM12/19/04
In article <32m00tF...@individual.net>, Dr Zoidberg says...

> Champ wrote:
> > On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:38:47 -0000, "Stonge" <stong...@HotPOP.com>
> > wrote:

> >> It's *very* brisk for a car, and handles like it's on rails -
> >> excellent fun.
> >
> > Anyone got any figures for this vehicle?
>
> 0-60 in 8 seconds as standard.
> 143 top speed.
>
> A supposedly standard one was timed at 6.7 seconds to 60 buy Autocar
> magazine , but it had probably been remapped.

JP described the test one to me as "as fast as the Scooby with only 2WD
on tap, and *none* of the bits fall off, which for a car thrashed by
plod is a miracle. I'd buy with with my own money [1]"

They only do them in 2 colours though ... maybe 3 this year.

[1] the ultimate compliment for someone as ... er ... "bargain
conscious" as JP ;)

Champ

Dec 19, 2004, 1:45:53 PM12/19/04
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:36:11 -0000, Bear <bastard...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>In article <dbhbs052ri2equfr9...@4ax.com>, Champ says...
>> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:37:30 -0000, Bear <bastard...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >In article <32lmoaF...@individual.net>, Dr Zoidberg says...

>> >Ho yuss. I think Champ's probably a bit image conscious for one
>>
>> I find it very hard to admit, but this is in fact true :-/
>
>heh, knew it :)

One of the things I like about owning a Saab is that it's very
diffcult for people to 'judge' you on it.

>Tell you what, why not *try* one?

Sure.

>There's also the giggle to be had in comprehensively destroying Scooby
>owner's egos with one. The VRS is quick (not supercar quick, but
>certainly fast in the right hands; great "point-to-point" car), handles
>well, is *very* well (and solidly) built, and would be *ideal* for what
>you want.
>
>I double-dare you to try one and give us a review afterwards :)

ok ok already. I shall.
--
Champ

Dr Zoidberg

Dec 19, 2004, 1:47:30 PM12/19/04
SteveH wrote:
> Dr Zoidberg <AlexNOOOOOOO!!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> Hang on a mo. If the Skoda is based on the Golf, how does it have
>>> the same performance as a Scooby?
>>
>> 1.8 Turbo engine making 180 bhp as standard instead of the 150 that
>> the Golf GTI gets.
>> Add a 400 quid remap to get 235 bhp.
>
> Don't you have to be a bit careful with this - the 150 and 180bhp cars
> share the same internals, so no issue chipping a Golf / Passat to
> 180bhp, however, the 225(?) bhp version in the TT had modified
> internals to cope with the extra power.

The 210 and 225 bhp versions had a larger turbo to get the extra power as
well as some stronger components , but the 180 will quite happily cope with
235bhp while otherwise completely standard.
A friend did have a piston choose an alternative route to the more
conventional up/down , but that was at 130k miles in two and a half years
including at least half a dozen track days a year. His was more heavily
modified than just a remap ( I think close to 250 bhp)

Dr Zoidberg

Dec 19, 2004, 1:49:48 PM12/19/04
Bear wrote:

> JP described the test one to me as "as fast as the Scooby with only
> 2WD on tap, and *none* of the bits fall off, which for a car thrashed
> by plod is a miracle. I'd buy with with my own money [1]"

West Mids use quite a few of them now , marked and unmarked.

> They only do them in 2 colours though ... maybe 3 this year.

4 actually.
Black , Red , Yellow and Silver.

Bear

Dec 19, 2004, 1:50:27 PM12/19/04
In article <l0jbs01c3f6knudv5...@4ax.com>, Champ says...

heh. This should be fun :)

Cane

Dec 19, 2004, 1:50:46 PM12/19/04

>>> 2. Buy something 'sporting'
>>
>>I fancy a 911 next but I'm a bit younger than you so it'll look less
>>MLC
>>for me.
>
> You're not *that* much younger than me

:-) I knew you'd say that.

--
cane ¦ fireblade
Aquila non captat muscas

Bear

Dec 19, 2004, 1:53:37 PM12/19/04
In article <32m0qeF...@individual.net>, Dr Zoidberg says...

> Bear wrote:
>
> > JP described the test one to me as "as fast as the Scooby with only
> > 2WD on tap, and *none* of the bits fall off, which for a car thrashed
> > by plod is a miracle. I'd buy with with my own money [1]"
>
> West Mids use quite a few of them now , marked and unmarked.
>
> > They only do them in 2 colours though ... maybe 3 this year.
>
> 4 actually.
> Black , Red , Yellow and Silver.

Ah right, cool ... when I was looking at one last year they only came in
2 colours ... black and yellow :) The black looked nice; very Q-car, the
yellow looked ... er ... a bit gash [1]

[1] might suit Champ though ;)

Lozzo

Dec 19, 2004, 2:08:18 PM12/19/04
SteveH says...

> Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > Hang on a mo. If the Skoda is based on the Golf, how does it have the
> > > same performance as a Scooby?
> >
> > The Octavia VRS is a very very fast car.
> >
> > Based on the Bora, and I don't give a fuck what SteveH says about the
> > Golf and Bora being the same car, they aren't. From the B post back, the
> > Golf and Bora have different bodies.
>
> It's all in the floorpan, you numpty.
>
> In the same way a MkI A4, MkII A6 and previous shape Passat all share
> the same platform.

But the floorpan is different from the B post back too, the Bora is
longer bumper to bumper than the Golf. Sure they share the same
wheelbase, but the saloon is different in floorpan and body from the B
post backwards. Having ripped the rear seats from all of them and seen
the differences with my own eyes I can comment on this.

SteveH

Dec 19, 2004, 2:11:50 PM12/19/04
Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> wrote:

> > In the same way a MkI A4, MkII A6 and previous shape Passat all share
> > the same platform.
>
> But the floorpan is different from the B post back too, the Bora is
> longer bumper to bumper than the Golf. Sure they share the same
> wheelbase, but the saloon is different in floorpan and body from the B
> post backwards. Having ripped the rear seats from all of them and seen
> the differences with my own eyes I can comment on this.

Yes, Lozzo, whatever you say.

I think you need to go away and do some reading on the subject.

platypus

Dec 19, 2004, 2:25:42 PM12/19/04
Champ wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:08:27 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon
> <grimlycur...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Get a Blandomobile, as above, and spend the rest on something
>> interesting, like motorcycles, as you suggest; but may I offer -
>> cocaine, whores, classic cars.
>
> I like the way you think :-) 'cept the classic cars bit. I like old
> bikes (a bit), but I haven't the faintest interest in old cars.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/c2000z_review/images/races05.jpg
http://www.web-cars.com/miura/blue.html
http://www-users.kawo2.rwth-aachen.de/~inad/Lancia/lancia_stratos_open.jpg
http://www.whatodo.ru/bestcars/cars/bmw/m1/b3.jpg
http://www.lynxmotors.co.uk/lynxxkss.htm
http://www.renault.fm.interia.pl/renault/alpine/k2.jpg
http://www.andersonguitars.com/customcontent/Inca%20Silver-Corvette.jpg
http://www.michaelp.org/photos/pebble2000/laguna/maserati_khamsin_rear.jpg

...etc

Lozzo

Dec 19, 2004, 2:28:08 PM12/19/04
SteveH says...

> Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > In the same way a MkI A4, MkII A6 and previous shape Passat all share
> > > the same platform.
> >
> > But the floorpan is different from the B post back too, the Bora is
> > longer bumper to bumper than the Golf. Sure they share the same
> > wheelbase, but the saloon is different in floorpan and body from the B
> > post backwards. Having ripped the rear seats from all of them and seen
> > the differences with my own eyes I can comment on this.
>
> Yes, Lozzo, whatever you say.
>
> I think you need to go away and do some reading on the subject.

My saving grace is that I can, will and have looked for myself, rather
than contend with reading someone elses view on things.

Having had the chance to work on all the cars you mention and see the
differences with my own eyes, I know exactly what I'm on about. I know
it's a far cry from being able to sack people for dunking mobile phone
batteries in coffee, but hey, it keeps me happy.

When was the last time you personally had an Audi A4, or A6, VW Passat
or Golf with the interior seating spread across your workshop so you
could actually see the differences in the floorpans first hand? I think
I could probably list around 70 to 80 occasions when I had the
opportunity.

SteveH

Dec 19, 2004, 2:33:39 PM12/19/04
Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> wrote:

> > I think you need to go away and do some reading on the subject.
>
> My saving grace is that I can, will and have looked for myself, rather
> than contend with reading someone elses view on things.

VW themselves say:

' Based on the same A platform that has produced the Golf, Beetle and
Audi's TT VW, chiefs are at pains to point out that the Bora is more
than just a Golf with a boot.

Shared components include front and rear axles, brakes, steering, fuel
tanks, wheels and tyres, floorpan, beams and bumpers, but the body has
been made stiffer. '

In what way is that not a shared floorpan with a Golf MkIV?

platypus

Dec 19, 2004, 2:34:12 PM12/19/04
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
> Bear wrote:
>
>> JP described the test one to me as "as fast as the Scooby with only
>> 2WD on tap, and *none* of the bits fall off, which for a car thrashed
>> by plod is a miracle. I'd buy with with my own money [1]"
>
> West Mids use quite a few of them now , marked and unmarked.
>
>> They only do them in 2 colours though ... maybe 3 this year.
>
> 4 actually.
> Black , Red , Yellow and Silver.

"Any colour you like, as long as it's red-shifted..."

Bear

Dec 19, 2004, 2:39:03 PM12/19/04
In article <WAkxd.3094$Ar5....@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, platypus
says...

Gorgeous ... I could see Champ in an Alpine, as it happens.

_Ginge

Dec 19, 2004, 2:41:12 PM12/19/04
In article <MPG.1c2fe6a1f...@news.individual.net>, Lozzo
says...

Having just had a look myself I think Steve is looking at this a bit too
simply, there are several cars *BASED* on the same floor pan, but that's
not the same as having exactly the same floor pan down to individual
mounting points. Or in the case of the Bora the floor plan being
extended beyond the length of the standard golf one. [1]

In the same way one can say the honda X11 is based on the blackbird,
because it shares about 95% of the components. Bet you can't fit a
blackbird fairing straight onto it though.

The fact all the cars share core common elements like mounting points
for suspension, engine, etc. then they are modified befond that to fit a
specific requirement is just common sense in manufacturing and keeps the
amount of tooling and setting up to a minimum.

[1] Feel free to check the web Steve, that's where I read it.. it's an
Extended .

_Ginge

Dec 19, 2004, 2:42:15 PM12/19/04
In article <1gp23ms.txk7hr1d98ahfN%st...@italiancar.co.uk>, SteveH
says...

> Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > I think you need to go away and do some reading on the subject.
> >
> > My saving grace is that I can, will and have looked for myself, rather
> > than contend with reading someone elses view on things.
>
> VW themselves say:
>
> ' Based on the same A platform that has produced the Golf, Beetle and
> Audi's TT VW, chiefs are at pains to point out that the Bora is more
> than just a Golf with a boot.
>
> Shared components include front and rear axles, brakes, steering, fuel
> tanks, wheels and tyres, floorpan, beams and bumpers, but the body has
> been made stiffer. '
>
> In what way is that not a shared floorpan with a Golf MkIV?

In that it's "based on", but not "identical".

HTH

Lozzo

Dec 19, 2004, 2:44:38 PM12/19/04
SteveH says...

> Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > I think you need to go away and do some reading on the subject.
> >
> > My saving grace is that I can, will and have looked for myself, rather
> > than contend with reading someone elses view on things.
>
> VW themselves say:
>
> ' Based on the same A platform that has produced the Golf, Beetle and
> Audi's TT VW, chiefs are at pains to point out that the Bora is more
> VW, chiefs are at pains to point out that the Bora is more
> than just a Golf with a boot. .

I'll tell you what Steve, if you manage to get a Bora body on a standard
unmodified Golf floorpan without about a foot of body overhanging the
rear of the Golf floorpan, then I'll buy the fucking car off you for
three times its market value. How's that? They are very different from B
post back, that is not what I would call sharing a platform.

Now, there's another thing to question. why do you insist on saying the
Octavia, which shares a very similar body shape with the Bora, is the
same as a Golf. I'll just quote from above where you posted that "VW

chiefs are at pains to point out that the Bora is more than just a Golf
with a boot".

I see you dodged my question about whether you've actually seen any of
these cars stripped with your own eyes. Why am I not surprised.

SteveH

Dec 19, 2004, 2:43:37 PM12/19/04
_Ginge <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> > Shared components include front and rear axles, brakes, steering, fuel
> > tanks, wheels and tyres, floorpan, beams and bumpers, but the body has
> > been made stiffer. '
> >
> > In what way is that not a shared floorpan with a Golf MkIV?
>
> In that it's "based on", but not "identical".

Which part of 'shared components include........ floorpan' are you
having problems with?

SteveH

Dec 19, 2004, 2:45:39 PM12/19/04
Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> wrote:

> > ' Based on the same A platform that has produced the Golf, Beetle and
> > Audi's TT VW, chiefs are at pains to point out that the Bora is more
> > VW, chiefs are at pains to point out that the Bora is more
> > than just a Golf with a boot. .
>
> I'll tell you what Steve, if you manage to get a Bora body on a standard
> unmodified Golf floorpan without about a foot of body overhanging the
> rear of the Golf floorpan, then I'll buy the fucking car off you for
> three times its market value. How's that? They are very different from B
> post back, that is not what I would call sharing a platform.

*sigh*

You seem to be confusing floorpans with bodywork.

Lozzo

Dec 19, 2004, 2:56:44 PM12/19/04
SteveH says...

> Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > ' Based on the same A platform that has produced the Golf, Beetle and
> > > Audi's TT VW, chiefs are at pains to point out that the Bora is more
> > > VW, chiefs are at pains to point out that the Bora is more
> > > than just a Golf with a boot. .
> >
> > I'll tell you what Steve, if you manage to get a Bora body on a standard
> > unmodified Golf floorpan without about a foot of body overhanging the
> > rear of the Golf floorpan, then I'll buy the fucking car off you for
> > three times its market value. How's that? They are very different from B
> > post back, that is not what I would call sharing a platform.
>
> *sigh*
>
> You seem to be confusing floorpans with bodywork.

*sigh*

You seem to be bereft of a clue.

I am referring to floorpans, Steve, the bits under the seats that go
from front to back. I know the differences having worked on car seating
for many years while you were telling Sharon to go to checkout number 4.
When the seats are out of a car, you see all the differences below them.
Floorpans run from bulkhead to rear bumper. A Bora is a longer car than
a Golf from bumper to bumper.

I see you're still dodging the question about whether you've had any of
these cars apart yourself. When you've got the necessary experience I'll
listen to your opinions. What limited experience you have seems to run
to alot of reading about cars, yet you are completely clueless when it
comes to working on them.

Bear

Dec 19, 2004, 2:58:18 PM12/19/04
In article <MPG.1c2fe9b45...@news.individual.net>, _Ginge
says...

> Having just had a look myself I think Steve is looking at this a bit too
> simply

Wow and that *never* happens, eh?

wessie

Dec 19, 2004, 3:01:07 PM12/19/04
SteveH emerged from their own little world to say

> _Ginge <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> > Shared components include front and rear axles, brakes, steering,
>> > fuel
>> > tanks, wheels and tyres, floorpan, beams and bumpers, but the body
>> > has been made stiffer. '
>> >
>> > In what way is that not a shared floorpan with a Golf MkIV?
>>
>> In that it's "based on", but not "identical".
>
> Which part of 'shared components include........ floorpan' are you
> having problems with?

I think Ginge & Lozzo have a better grip of the way modern production
works, Steve.

You are interpreting the word "floorpan" too literally. For VAG it is
the "base floorpan" which is common too all models. They will design
that base floorplan to accept various added value [1] sub-assemblies to
increase the model range. These subs will be things like an extension
for the Bora that Lozzo mentions. I would imagine that there will be
options to add other bits and pieces too such as the stiffening that
Ginge mentioned.

We did a very similar thing with electronics at Xerox. One common bare
printed circuit board which we populated according to the depth of the
customer's pocket.

[1] you should understand this term working in retail

--
BMW R1150GS

Statto

Dec 19, 2004, 2:59:40 PM12/19/04
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:16:40 +0000, Champ <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:37:30 -0000, Bear <bastard...@gmail.com>
>wrote:

>>> Skoda Octavia VRS.
>>
>>Ho yuss. I think Champ's probably a bit image conscious for one
>
>I find it very hard to admit, but this is in fact true :-/

What about the Seat versions - Leon Cupra R which comes in 180 and 225
bhp flavours?

--
Statto
ZRX1200S GT750 VFR750

SteveH

Dec 19, 2004, 3:08:36 PM12/19/04
Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> wrote:

> I am referring to floorpans, Steve, the bits under the seats that go
> from front to back. I know the differences having worked on car seating
> for many years while you were telling Sharon to go to checkout number 4.
> When the seats are out of a car, you see all the differences below them.
> Floorpans run from bulkhead to rear bumper. A Bora is a longer car than
> a Golf from bumper to bumper.

The only difference is a bit of metal grafted into the boot floor.

Track, wheelbase are identical.

> I see you're still dodging the question about whether you've had any of
> these cars apart yourself. When you've got the necessary experience I'll
> listen to your opinions. What limited experience you have seems to run
> to alot of reading about cars, yet you are completely clueless when it
> comes to working on them.

It seems you only think you know as much as you do.

Tell me about the naturally aspirated turbocharged car again.

SteveH

Dec 19, 2004, 3:07:16 PM12/19/04
wessie <putmyn...@tesco.net> wrote:

> SteveH emerged from their own little world to say

> >> In that it's "based on", but not "identical".
> >
> > Which part of 'shared components include........ floorpan' are you
> > having problems with?
>
> I think Ginge & Lozzo have a better grip of the way modern production
> works, Steve.
>
> You are interpreting the word "floorpan" too literally. For VAG it is
> the "base floorpan" which is common too all models. They will design
> that base floorplan to accept various added value [1] sub-assemblies to
> increase the model range. These subs will be things like an extension
> for the Bora that Lozzo mentions. I would imagine that there will be
> options to add other bits and pieces too such as the stiffening that
> Ginge mentioned.

The stiffening comes from the 4-door shell, rather than the hatch. It's
a known fact that a saloon is stiffer than an equivalent hatch. With a 5
door hatch being stiffer than a 3 door.

The wheelbase is the same, the front and rear tracks are the same and
the bodies are an identical width. Even the height only differs by 2mm.

Is that similar enough for you?

Yes, there are modifications - namely the extended boot floor behind the
rear axle.

Rope

Dec 19, 2004, 3:09:06 PM12/19/04
Champ spoke:
> Not budgeting for businesss insurance.
>
> Yersh. Wonder how much that will add.

My FC insurance for a 2.5l V6 Galant for (self employed)
business use (excluding 'commercial travelling') is around
£450 pa

Last round of car purchases, I bought the Galant (a £24k
car (new), ex-lease, FSH, with 30k on it ) *plus* a Scooby
(albeit a bog-standard 5-door) for iro £350/month over 3
years.

--
Rob_P
UKRM(at)indqualtec.co.uk

Steve Uzochukwu

Dec 19, 2004, 3:14:12 PM12/19/04
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:39:47 GMT, "Rasman99"
<nos...@blooyonder.co.uk> wildly wibbled thus:

>You should do pretty well with the IR fuel allowance as you will get 40p per
>mile for the 10K miles a year you do, so add that into your calculations,
>this where oil burners LPG machines come in handy.

I thought that 40p figure was only up to 3,000 miles then much lower
after that.

Been awhile so I may be wrong and if so, sorry.

--
Steve Uzochukwu, Avian Amour and Windtech Quarx.
http://www.steveu.org/

_Ginge

Dec 19, 2004, 3:13:50 PM12/19/04
In article <1gp243y.o88ksz18uhwefN%st...@italiancar.co.uk>, SteveH
says...

> _Ginge <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> > > Shared components include front and rear axles, brakes, steering, fuel
> > > tanks, wheels and tyres, floorpan, beams and bumpers, but the body has
> > > been made stiffer. '
> > >
> > > In what way is that not a shared floorpan with a Golf MkIV?
> >
> > In that it's "based on", but not "identical".
>
> Which part of 'shared components include........ floorpan' are you
> having problems with?

Is that in VW's words or just a journalists?

The "A4 Platform" is the basic chassis design for the Golf, Jetta
(Bora), Beetle, Audi A3 and Audi TT, however the floorpans of these
vehicles are not 100% identical, the TT for example is several inches
shorter and the Bora is longer.

Likewise the Passat And Audi A4 are built on the "B Platform"

SteveH

Dec 19, 2004, 3:17:19 PM12/19/04
_Ginge <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> > Which part of 'shared components include........ floorpan' are you
> > having problems with?
>
> Is that in VW's words or just a journalists?
>
> The "A4 Platform" is the basic chassis design for the Golf, Jetta
> (Bora), Beetle, Audi A3 and Audi TT, however the floorpans of these
> vehicles are not 100% identical, the TT for example is several inches
> shorter and the Bora is longer.

Yes. Well done, a TT is shorter in wheelbase than the Golf.

However, the Golf and Bora are exactly the same size.

> Likewise the Passat And Audi A4 are built on the "B Platform"

B5 if you're getting technical. A platform which is also shared with the
A6.

_Ginge

Dec 19, 2004, 3:20:11 PM12/19/04
In article <1gp254r.499xplajka0mN%st...@italiancar.co.uk>, SteveH
says...

> Yes, there are modifications - namely the extended boot floor behind the
> rear axle.

Bolt it onto the shorter golf floorpan do they?

No.

They make the floorpan long enough in the first place. it's a different
floorpan built on the common A4 Platform.

<porl>
IF I WERE A TERMINATOR YOU WOULD BE DEAD BY NOW!
</porl>

SteveH

Dec 19, 2004, 3:22:07 PM12/19/04
_Ginge <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> In article <1gp254r.499xplajka0mN%st...@italiancar.co.uk>, SteveH
> says...
> > Yes, there are modifications - namely the extended boot floor behind the
> > rear axle.
>
> Bolt it onto the shorter golf floorpan do they?
>
> No.
>
> They make the floorpan long enough in the first place. it's a different
> floorpan built on the common A4 Platform.

I fucking give up.

Bear

Dec 19, 2004, 3:30:42 PM12/19/04
In article <27nbs0lqmc2e1rfni...@4ax.com>, Statto says...

Why pay £1,500 for a badge that isn't all that anyway? :)

Bear

Dec 19, 2004, 3:43:25 PM12/19/04
In article <cIlxd.3144$Ar5....@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, platypus
says...

> Bet he ends up with an Audi A3, though.

I think he'll stick with the Saab, but good call :)

platypus

Dec 19, 2004, 3:41:44 PM12/19/04

I've been trying to visualise Champ in a car, without much success.
Maclaren F1 or a hotted-up Focus possibly.

Twenty years ago, he'd have had a SAAB 99 Turbo - Euro-butch without being
too much of a medallion-man chariot. Now? <shrugs>

There's other factors to consider: Pittville is going a bit gay, but it's
embedded in the worst bit of Cheltenham. Anything nice left on the street
will be at risk, and the garage will be full of bikes. In Champ's shoes,
I'd have a nice old Series Landy for getting around town, and hire as needed
for long-distance work. Or maybe an old Volvo 240 estate.

Bet he ends up with an Audi A3, though.

--
platypus

mean old daddy

Lozzo

Dec 19, 2004, 3:51:03 PM12/19/04
SteveH says...

> _Ginge <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <1gp254r.499xplajka0mN%st...@italiancar.co.uk>, SteveH
> > says...
> > > Yes, there are modifications - namely the extended boot floor behind the
> > > rear axle.
> >
> > Bolt it onto the shorter golf floorpan do they?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > They make the floorpan long enough in the first place. it's a different
> > floorpan built on the common A4 Platform.
>
> I fucking give up.

Its about fucking time, you were showing yourself up to be the clueless
arse that you are.

Lozzo

Dec 19, 2004, 3:49:42 PM12/19/04
SteveH says...

> Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I am referring to floorpans, Steve, the bits under the seats that go
> > from front to back. I know the differences having worked on car seating
> > for many years while you were telling Sharon to go to checkout number 4.
> > When the seats are out of a car, you see all the differences below them.
> > Floorpans run from bulkhead to rear bumper. A Bora is a longer car than
> > a Golf from bumper to bumper.
>
> The only difference is a bit of metal grafted into the boot floor.

Wrong.

It is different from the B post back. You still haven't answered my
question about when you last saw both Golf and Bora with the rear seats
out. Give up Steve, you are very very wrong on this one, I have done my
research which extended to pulling the rear seat cushions[1] out of a
Bora and comparing the floor to my MK4 Golf after the last discussion we
had about this.

> Track, wheelbase are identical.

So fucking what? That means nothing, as I will prove later. Later
Vauxhall Vivas shared the same track and wheelbase, but HB and HC were
built on different floorpans.

> > I see you're still dodging the question about whether you've had any of
> > these cars apart yourself. When you've got the necessary experience I'll
> > listen to your opinions. What limited experience you have seems to run
> > to alot of reading about cars, yet you are completely clueless when it
> > comes to working on them.
>
> It seems you only think you know as much as you do.

I know a fucking sight more about the layout and seating of many modern
cars than you give me credit for. This subject brought me into close
observation of floorpans and the differences between similar models.
Mostly because we were forever being asked if seats from one model could
be fitted to a similar car. You might think a 2-door Coupe 3 series BMW
shares the same floorpan as the 4 door, they don't. They are very
different and the rear seat cushion from one will never fit the other
even though they share the same width and wheelbase.

I learned from experience, not from reading magazines written by
clueless journos, nor from the car companies own hype.

> Tell me about the naturally aspirated turbocharged car again.

I got one thing wrong and that was more a matter of English language,
rather than a technical question. How many times do you ever get it
right when it comes to technical stuff?

[1] Takes about 20 seconds

Simon Atkinson

Dec 19, 2004, 3:49:54 PM12/19/04
platypus wrote:

> Bear wrote:
> > In article <WAkxd.3094$Ar5....@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> > platypus says...

> cars.
> > >

> http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/c2000z_review/images/races05
> .jpg >> http://www.web-cars.com/miura/blue.html
> > >
> http://www-users.kawo2.rwth-aachen.de/~inad/Lancia/lancia_stratos_open

> .jpg >> http://www.whatodo.ru/bestcars/cars/bmw/m1/b3.jpg

> >> http://www.lynxmotors.co.uk/lynxxkss.htm
> >> http://www.renault.fm.interia.pl/renault/alpine/k2.jpg
> >>
> http://www.andersonguitars.com/customcontent/Inca%20Silver-Corvette.jp
> > >
> http://www.michaelp.org/photos/pebble2000/laguna/maserati_khamsin_rear
> .jpg
> > >
> >> ...etc
> >
> > Gorgeous ... I could see Champ in an Alpine, as it happens.
>
> I've been trying to visualise Champ in a car, without much success.
> Maclaren F1 or a hotted-up Focus possibly.
>

> Bet he ends up with an Audi A3, though.

He has a little of the Reliant Robin about him...

SteveH

Dec 19, 2004, 3:52:30 PM12/19/04
Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> wrote:

> > Tell me about the naturally aspirated turbocharged car again.
>
> I got one thing wrong and that was more a matter of English language,
> rather than a technical question. How many times do you ever get it
> right when it comes to technical stuff?

No, you showed yourself to be the clueless numpty you really are.

SteveH

Dec 19, 2004, 3:56:12 PM12/19/04
Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> wrote:

> SteveH says...

> > > I got one thing wrong and that was more a matter of English language,
> > > rather than a technical question. How many times do you ever get it
> > > right when it comes to technical stuff?
> >
> > No, you showed yourself to be the clueless numpty you really are.
>

> Yeah, me Wessie, Ginge, we're all wrong and you're right. I understand
> now.

As it happens, yes.

> Twat.

Ooooh, temper.

Lozzo

Dec 19, 2004, 3:54:51 PM12/19/04
SteveH says...

> Lozzo <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > Tell me about the naturally aspirated turbocharged car again.
> >
> > I got one thing wrong and that was more a matter of English language,
> > rather than a technical question. How many times do you ever get it
> > right when it comes to technical stuff?
>
> No, you showed yourself to be the clueless numpty you really are.

Yeah, me Wessie, Ginge, we're all wrong and you're right. I understand
now.

Twat.

JackH

Dec 19, 2004, 4:04:15 PM12/19/04

"Lozzo" <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> wrote in message

> ...not from reading magazines written by
> clueless journos

Paging TOG

--
JackH

Nigel Eaton

Dec 19, 2004, 4:13:35 PM12/19/04
Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, Lozzo
<lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> typed

>I am referring to floorpans, Steve, the bits under the seats that go
>from front to back. I know the differences having worked on car seating
>for many years while you were telling Sharon to go to checkout number 4.

She'd tell him to fuck off. Trust Me on this.

--
Nigel - Manufacturer of the "Champion-105" range of rearsets

WS* GHPOTHUF#24 APOSTLE#14 DLC#1 COFF#20 BOTAFOT#150 HYPO#0(KoTL) IbW#41
ZZR1100, Enfield 500 Curry House Racer "The Basmati Rice Burner",
Honda GL1000K2 (On its hols) Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager "Oh, Oh, It's so big"

Grimly Curmudgeon

Dec 19, 2004, 4:16:20 PM12/19/04
It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember "platypus"
<mono...@blueyonder.co.uk> saying something like:

>http://www.web-cars.com/miura/blue.html

I say; got any Kleenex?

One of my fave cars of all time, that.

--

Dave

GS 850 x2 / SE 6a
SbS#6 DIAABTCOD#16 APOSTLE#6 FUB#3
FUB KotL OSOS#12? UKRMMA#19 COSOC#10

JackH

Dec 19, 2004, 4:16:10 PM12/19/04

"Lozzo" <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> wrote in message

I think you're both right, in different ways.

Fact is, the Bora has as much in common with the Mk4 Golf hatch, floorpan
wise, as the Mk4 Golf estate has.

They're all based around the same, *basic* floorpan, when all is said and
done - if they hadn't have restyled the front end to help give the Bora more
of an identity in its own right than they did in the past with stuff like
the Vento and Jetta, you'd not think twice about it, if it had been badged a
Golf.

--
JackH

SteveH

Dec 19, 2004, 4:19:04 PM12/19/04
Nigel Eaton <nig...@rcav8r.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, Lozzo
> <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> typed
> >
> >I am referring to floorpans, Steve, the bits under the seats that go
> >from front to back. I know the differences having worked on car seating
> >for many years while you were telling Sharon to go to checkout number 4.
>
> She'd tell him to fuck off. Trust Me on this.

Erm, have you been frequenting my shop?

To know so much about it's layout suggests you have.

Salad Dodger

Dec 19, 2004, 4:19:39 PM12/19/04
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:25:42 GMT, "platypus"
<mono...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>http://www.web-cars.com/miura/blue.html

"Dear Santa ... "
--
| ___ Salad Dodger
|/ \
_/_____\_ GL1500SEV/CBR1100XXX/KH500A8/TS250C
|_\_____/_| ..73063../..17250.../..3180./.19406
(>|_|_|<) TPPFATUICG#7 DIAABTCOD#9 YTC#4 PM#5
|__|_|__| BOTAFOT #70 BOTAFOF #09 two#11 WG*
\ |^| / IbW#0 & KotIbW# BotTOS#6 GP#4
\|^|/ ANORAK#17 IbB#4
'^'

Champ

Dec 19, 2004, 4:18:15 PM12/19/04
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:09:06 GMT, Rope <sp...@ukrm.net> wrote:

>Champ spoke:
>> Not budgeting for businesss insurance.
>>
>> Yersh. Wonder how much that will add.
>
>My FC insurance for a 2.5l V6 Galant for (self employed)
>business use (excluding 'commercial travelling') is around
>£450 pa

Ta.

>Last round of car purchases, I bought the Galant (a £24k
>car (new), ex-lease, FSH, with 30k on it ) *plus* a Scooby
>(albeit a bog-standard 5-door) for iro £350/month over 3
>years.

Crikey! Sunds like I should be able to do ok.
--
Champ

Statto

Dec 19, 2004, 4:21:05 PM12/19/04
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:30:42 -0000, Bear <bastard...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>In article <27nbs0lqmc2e1rfni...@4ax.com>, Statto says...
>> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:16:40 +0000, Champ <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote:

>> >I find it very hard to admit, but this is in fact true :-/
>>
>> What about the Seat versions - Leon Cupra R which comes in 180 and 225
>> bhp flavours?
>

>Why pay Ł1,500 for a badge that isn't all that anyway? :)

The 180 bhp Leon is almost the same price as the Octavia VRS. The 225
bhp Leon is around Ł18k, which makes the Octavia + ECU upgrade look
good value.

Nigel Eaton

Dec 19, 2004, 4:20:34 PM12/19/04
Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, SteveH
<st...@italiancar.co.uk> typed

>Nigel Eaton <nig...@rcav8r.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, Lozzo
>> <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> typed
>> >
>> >I am referring to floorpans, Steve, the bits under the seats that go
>> >from front to back. I know the differences having worked on car seating
>> >for many years while you were telling Sharon to go to checkout number 4.
>>
>> She'd tell him to fuck off. Trust Me on this.
>
>Erm, have you been frequenting my shop?
>
>To know so much about it's layout suggests you have.
^
Oops.

No, that was by way of a joke. My missus being called Sharon, you see.

Nigel Eaton

Dec 19, 2004, 4:21:28 PM12/19/04
Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, Salad Dodger
<salad....@gmail.com> typed

>On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:25:42 GMT, "platypus"
><mono...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>http://www.web-cars.com/miura/blue.html
>
>"Dear Santa ... "

Paging Mick Whittingham. Mick to the Grotto, please.

Champ

Dec 19, 2004, 4:21:25 PM12/19/04
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:59:40 +0000, Statto <statto...@ukrm.net>
wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:16:40 +0000, Champ <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:37:30 -0000, Bear <bastard...@gmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>In article <32lmoaF...@individual.net>, Dr Zoidberg says...

>>>Ho yuss. I think Champ's probably a bit image conscious for one
>>
>>I find it very hard to admit, but this is in fact true :-/
>
>What about the Seat versions - Leon Cupra R which comes in 180 and 225
>bhp flavours?

Does it have reasonable load space? All the Leon's I've seen have
looked pretty small to me.
--
Champ

_Ginge

Dec 19, 2004, 4:21:14 PM12/19/04
In article <1gp28io.1phyl1qj5t2q4N%st...@italiancar.co.uk>, SteveH
says...

> Nigel Eaton <nig...@rcav8r.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, Lozzo
> > <lo...@speedyspic.co.uk> typed
> > >
> > >I am referring to floorpans, Steve, the bits under the seats that go
> > >from front to back. I know the differences having worked on car seating
> > >for many years while you were telling Sharon to go to checkout number 4.
> >
> > She'd tell him to fuck off. Trust Me on this.
>
> Erm, have you been frequenting my shop?
>
> To know so much about it's layout suggests you have.

You've got *FOUR* checkouts? FFS!

SteveH

Dec 19, 2004, 4:23:19 PM12/19/04
Nigel Eaton <nig...@rcav8r.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> >To know so much about it's layout suggests you have.
> ^
> Oops.

Fucking punctuation Nazi....

> No, that was by way of a joke. My missus being called Sharon, you see.

Heh.

Works on so many levels, what with me only having 3 checkouts.

Champ

Dec 19, 2004, 4:22:33 PM12/19/04
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:50:27 -0000, Bear <bastard...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>In article <l0jbs01c3f6knudv5...@4ax.com>, Champ says...
>> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:36:11 -0000, Bear <bastard...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>
>> >There's also the giggle to be had in comprehensively destroying Scooby
>> >owner's egos with one. The VRS is quick (not supercar quick, but
>> >certainly fast in the right hands; great "point-to-point" car), handles
>> >well, is *very* well (and solidly) built, and would be *ideal* for what
>> >you want.
>> >
>> >I double-dare you to try one and give us a review afterwards :)
>>
>> ok ok already. I shall.
>
>heh. This should be fun :)

Why? I'm sure it's a great, fun car. The question is whether I'm big
enough to be seen driving a Skoda, and I don't need a test drive to
try and answer that question.
--
Champ

It is loading more messages.