Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Dave Eades

ungelesen,
16.04.2004, 11:46:4616.04.04
an

"Simon Atkinson" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:i3bv70p1so8v26bst...@4ax.com...
> Or any home in fact...
>
> Anyone want a SO Citroen AX11E 1.1 litres of Citroen fun...
>
> MOT till mid-May - will get another with a bit of TLC I'd have thought.
> Engine is good, bodywork a bit battered looking, but not rusty at all.
>
> Taxed till end of August - if you give us 40 quid for the whole shooting
> match, otherwise I'll cash in the tax.
>
> It's red, and in Raunds (Northants).
>
> A few beers in exchange would be wonderful.
> --
> Simes
> Return address ROT'd...

<waves>

Dave Eades

ungelesen,
16.04.2004, 13:26:3916.04.04
an

"Dave Eades" <daveg...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
<unwaves>
her indoors just pointed out how far away from us Northants is (Doh!)

Timo Geusch

ungelesen,
16.04.2004, 15:03:3216.04.04
an
Simon Atkinson was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

> Or any home in fact...
>
> Anyone want a SO Citroen AX11E 1.1 litres of Citroen fun...
>
> MOT till mid-May - will get another with a bit of TLC I'd have thought.
> Engine is good, bodywork a bit battered looking, but not rusty at all.
>
> Taxed till end of August - if you give us 40 quid for the whole shooting
> match, otherwise I'll cash in the tax.
>
> It's red, and in Raunds (Northants).
>
> A few beers in exchange would be wonderful.

What's necessary to get it through the MOT? Might well be interested,
I need *something* driveable.
--
Timo Geusch
Morini Corsaro 125 | Bimota YB7 | Honda Pan European ABS/CBS/TCS

SteveH

ungelesen,
16.04.2004, 15:26:2816.04.04
an
Timo Geusch <tn...@unixconsult.co.uk> wrote:

> Simon Atkinson was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:
> > Or any home in fact...
> >
> > Anyone want a SO Citroen AX11E 1.1 litres of Citroen fun...
> >
> > MOT till mid-May - will get another with a bit of TLC I'd have thought.
> > Engine is good, bodywork a bit battered looking, but not rusty at all.
> >
> > Taxed till end of August - if you give us 40 quid for the whole shooting
> > match, otherwise I'll cash in the tax.
> >
> > It's red, and in Raunds (Northants).
> >
> > A few beers in exchange would be wonderful.
>
> What's necessary to get it through the MOT? Might well be interested,
> I need *something* driveable.

I'm currently looking to replace the Primera.... can't think of a more
ideal vehicle for you, even _you_ couldn't break one of those ;-)

Will be cheap, too.
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Nissan Primera 2.0SLXi - COSOC KOTL

petrolcan

ungelesen,
16.04.2004, 15:41:3416.04.04
an
In article <1gccrew.hql9mg1e2khepN%st...@italiancar.co.uk>, SteveH
says...
> Timo Geusch <tn...@unixconsult.co.uk> wrote:

> > > A few beers in exchange would be wonderful.
> >
> > What's necessary to get it through the MOT? Might well be interested,
> > I need *something* driveable.
>
> I'm currently looking to replace the Primera....

Too reliable for you?

> can't think of a more ideal vehicle for you, even _you_ couldn't break
> one of those ;-)

This I definitely agree with.

--
Michael
r1100rs|cb350sg|pc50|mk2 16v|

SteveH

ungelesen,
16.04.2004, 15:47:3216.04.04
an
petrolcan <colmREMO...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> In article <1gccrew.hql9mg1e2khepN%st...@italiancar.co.uk>, SteveH
> says...

> > > What's necessary to get it through the MOT? Might well be interested,
> > > I need *something* driveable.
> >
> > I'm currently looking to replace the Primera....
>
> Too reliable for you?

I'm bored of it, to be honest. It's a devastatingly quick cross-country
car, but, if anything, it's _too_ competent. I'm driving it like a cunt,
and so far have got away with it, but the complete lack of decent
feedback from the chassis is worrying - it'll get me into trouble one
day. Did I mention that I find it boring?

> > can't think of a more ideal vehicle for you, even _you_ couldn't break
> > one of those ;-)
>
> This I definitely agree with.

--

Timo Geusch

ungelesen,
16.04.2004, 15:49:2516.04.04
an
SteveH was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

> Timo Geusch <tn...@unixconsult.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> What's necessary to get it through the MOT? Might well be interested,
>> I need *something* driveable.
>
> I'm currently looking to replace the Primera.... can't think of a more
> ideal vehicle for you, even _you_ couldn't break one of those ;-)

Famous last words, as posted to ukrm...

> Will be cheap, too.

Ah, cheap and nasty, oi loikes that :-)

Pip

ungelesen,
16.04.2004, 16:36:3916.04.04
an
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 20:47:32 +0100, st...@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH)
wrote:

>petrolcan <colmREMO...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <1gccrew.hql9mg1e2khepN%st...@italiancar.co.uk>, SteveH
>> says...

>> > I'm currently looking to replace the Primera....

>> Too reliable for you?
>
>I'm bored of it, to be honest. It's a devastatingly quick cross-country
>car, but, if anything, it's _too_ competent. I'm driving it like a cunt,
>and so far have got away with it, but the complete lack of decent
>feedback from the chassis is worrying - it'll get me into trouble one
>day. Did I mention that I find it boring?

Oh, so fuck off, Steve. Devastatingly quick? In comparison to what,
FFS? You, on the Viffer, perhaps, but that SOPrimera is _not_ quick.
It may handle tolerably well, even go a little bit, but as it has a 2
litre engine in a light shell, it would, wouldn't it? But it ain't
"devastating".

You're driving it like a cunt, you say - but there's no "feedback".
So you have no idea what you're doing, do you? It will get you into
trouble, I'll agree with you there - and soon, if you keep on doing
what you're doing (which is believing that you're some tarmac rally
star, obviously).

Of course it's boring. If it was devastatingly quick it wouldn't be
boring though, would it? It was made to be boring, in an anodyne,
massively understated and yes, competent fashion that only the
Japanese excel at. It is shite - but it will do its job for thousand
miles after thousand miles. Boringly but adequately - certainly not
devastatingly though, FFS. Miles better at doing what you need than
yet another POS "collectable", R@RE, bio-degrading Alfa cunting Romeo.

Get back on your bike, Steve. FFS.

--
Pip, Ex - Hairy Gfedcker. RF 900RR, Ruff and Rattly.
WS* DFWAG#0 IbW#27* DIAABTCOD#15 GP#0 EKP FUB#4 MKA+E#3

Timo Geusch

ungelesen,
16.04.2004, 16:32:3216.04.04
an
Simon Atkinson was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:
> As I can see at the moment, the main thing would be that the headlights
> would need adjusting - one of them is pointing a bit out of line.
> Otherwise it's OK.

Doesn't sound too bad - if that's all that's required, fine, if not,
well, it's not that it's an expensive car...

> If you want it come and get it - I can pick you up from the local
> station (if that's how you want to get here), and we can look at my Pan
> and compare it (mentally) to yours...

Sounds good - would you be in Sunday? Oh, and do you still have a
certain Pan rear wheel?

SteveH

ungelesen,
16.04.2004, 16:49:1316.04.04
an
Pip <p...@ukrm.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 20:47:32 +0100, st...@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH)
> wrote:
>
> >petrolcan <colmREMO...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> In article <1gccrew.hql9mg1e2khepN%st...@italiancar.co.uk>, SteveH
> >> says...

> >> Too reliable for you?
> >
> >I'm bored of it, to be honest. It's a devastatingly quick cross-country
> >car, but, if anything, it's _too_ competent. I'm driving it like a cunt,
> >and so far have got away with it, but the complete lack of decent
> >feedback from the chassis is worrying - it'll get me into trouble one
> >day. Did I mention that I find it boring?
>
> Oh, so fuck off, Steve. Devastatingly quick? In comparison to what,
> FFS? You, on the Viffer, perhaps, but that SOPrimera is _not_ quick.
> It may handle tolerably well, even go a little bit, but as it has a 2
> litre engine in a light shell, it would, wouldn't it? But it ain't
> "devastating".

Well, it has pretty amazing roadholding for a family saloon - certainly
way ahead of any other similar class of car I've driven. OK, so it's not
all that rapid in a straight line, but I corners unbelievably well, and
very flat, so you don't really get the feeling that you've just taken a
bend at *cough* mph.

> You're driving it like a cunt, you say - but there's no "feedback".
> So you have no idea what you're doing, do you? It will get you into
> trouble, I'll agree with you there - and soon, if you keep on doing
> what you're doing (which is believing that you're some tarmac rally
> star, obviously).

I've certainly been the fastest cage out there on the A465 from
Abergavenny to Hereford. The only stuff that's gone past me has been the
cunts that catch me and re-overtake in the 50 and 40 zones. But they're
soon dispatched once we go past the GLF sign.

The lack of feedback is worrying - you can take massive liberties with
the car, and get absolutely zero feedback from the chassis. As
demonstrated when I covered god knows how many miles on a deflating
rear, and didn't notice until it stepped out on a damp roundabout. This
is not a good thing, IMHO.

> Of course it's boring. If it was devastatingly quick it wouldn't be
> boring though, would it? It was made to be boring, in an anodyne,
> massively understated and yes, competent fashion that only the
> Japanese excel at. It is shite - but it will do its job for thousand
> miles after thousand miles. Boringly but adequately - certainly not
> devastatingly though, FFS. Miles better at doing what you need than
> yet another POS "collectable", R@RE, bio-degrading Alfa cunting Romeo.

Like I say, it seems to have higher limits than my other recent cages,
but that's only because you can't feel what's happening really.
Although, the chassis is very competent. Just not my kind of thing. If
you're spending 2.5 hours in a car, then it needs some sort of character
or you rapidly get bored of driving it.

> Get back on your bike, Steve. FFS.

I'm waiting for the temperature at 7am to rise above zero, and for the
rain to stop. Then the bike will come out.

SteveH

ungelesen,
16.04.2004, 16:55:3916.04.04
an
Simon Atkinson <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> SteveH said:
>
> >The lack of feedback is worrying - you can take massive liberties with
> >the car, and get absolutely zero feedback from the chassis. As
> >demonstrated when I covered god knows how many miles on a deflating
> >rear, and didn't notice until it stepped out on a damp roundabout. This
> >is not a good thing, IMHO.
>

> That says rather more about you and how observant you are of the feel of
> the car and road, than it does about the car TBH.

No, it says they've engineered out _all_ the feedback to the extent
that, IMHO, it's actually dangerous. I'd certainly notice (and have) if
the Alfa had a deflating tyre, becuase you get loads of feeback about
what's going on around you.

> >I'm waiting for the temperature at 7am to rise above zero, and for the
> >rain to stop. Then the bike will come out.
>

> That was about 2 months ago old chap. At 6:30 in the morning it's been
> very pleasant recently.

Not here it isn't. Scraping ice off the car a couple of times last week.

Pip

ungelesen,
16.04.2004, 17:03:5916.04.04
an
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:49:13 +0100, st...@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH)
wrote:

>Pip <p...@ukrm.net> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 20:47:32 +0100, st...@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH)
>> wrote:

>> >I'm bored of it, to be honest. It's a devastatingly quick cross-country
>> >car, but, if anything, it's _too_ competent. I'm driving it like a cunt,
>> >and so far have got away with it, but the complete lack of decent
>> >feedback from the chassis is worrying - it'll get me into trouble one
>> >day. Did I mention that I find it boring?
>>
>> Oh, so fuck off, Steve. Devastatingly quick? In comparison to what,
>> FFS? You, on the Viffer, perhaps, but that SOPrimera is _not_ quick.
>> It may handle tolerably well, even go a little bit, but as it has a 2
>> litre engine in a light shell, it would, wouldn't it? But it ain't
>> "devastating".
>
>Well, it has pretty amazing roadholding for a family saloon - certainly
>way ahead of any other similar class of car I've driven. OK, so it's not
>all that rapid in a straight line, but I corners unbelievably well, and
>very flat, so you don't really get the feeling that you've just taken a
>bend at *cough* mph.

Hardly "devastating" though, eh? No necksnapping acceleration,
grey-out brakes, or eye-popping G-force cornering. That would be
devastating, Steve.

>> You're driving it like a cunt, you say - but there's no "feedback".
>> So you have no idea what you're doing, do you? It will get you into
>> trouble, I'll agree with you there - and soon, if you keep on doing
>> what you're doing (which is believing that you're some tarmac rally
>> star, obviously).
>
>I've certainly been the fastest cage out there on the A465 from
>Abergavenny to Hereford. The only stuff that's gone past me has been the
>cunts that catch me and re-overtake in the 50 and 40 zones. But they're
>soon dispatched once we go past the GLF sign.

Not difficult though, is it? Fuckall goes past the SORenault
cross-country and I'm hardly pushing that to its limits.

>The lack of feedback is worrying - you can take massive liberties with
>the car, and get absolutely zero feedback from the chassis. As
>demonstrated when I covered god knows how many miles on a deflating
>rear, and didn't notice until it stepped out on a damp roundabout. This
>is not a good thing, IMHO.

Lack of feedback is one thing, lack of sensitivity from the pilot
another. I've driven Primeras and they do handle in an easy, neutral
manner - they are very competent - for a cooking cage. You should
still be able to tell what is going on, though.

>> Of course it's boring. If it was devastatingly quick it wouldn't be
>> boring though, would it? It was made to be boring, in an anodyne,
>> massively understated and yes, competent fashion that only the
>> Japanese excel at. It is shite - but it will do its job for thousand
>> miles after thousand miles. Boringly but adequately - certainly not
>> devastatingly though, FFS. Miles better at doing what you need than
>> yet another POS "collectable", R@RE, bio-degrading Alfa cunting Romeo.
>
>Like I say, it seems to have higher limits than my other recent cages,
>but that's only because you can't feel what's happening really.
>Although, the chassis is very competent. Just not my kind of thing. If
>you're spending 2.5 hours in a car, then it needs some sort of character
>or you rapidly get bored of driving it.

You're commuting. Hang on, WTF are you commuting 2.5 hours - you've
moved to Wales, FFS. Anyway, you're driving a car. It isn't
involving unless you're wondering/worrying what is going to drop off
next, what that rattle/buzz/squeak is - unless you're piloting an
RS200 through Clocaenog on the way to the shop, that is.

>> Get back on your bike, Steve. FFS.
>
>I'm waiting for the temperature at 7am to rise above zero, and for the
>rain to stop. Then the bike will come out.

You're in Wales. It will never happen (except for August 12th, of
course) and that day your battery will be flat. Not that you'll
notice.

Salad Dodger

ungelesen,
16.04.2004, 17:09:1516.04.04
an

No need to keep grousing on about it.

--
| ___ Salad Dodger
|/ \
_/_____\_ GL1500SEV/CBR1100XXX/KH500A8/TS250C
|_\_____/_| ..63642../..15196.../..3157./.19406
(>|_|_|<) TPPFATUICG#7 DIAABTCOD#9 YTC#4 PM#5
|__|_|__| BOTAFOT #70 BOTAFOF #09 two#11 WG*
\ |^| / IbW#0 & KotIbW# BotTOS#6 GP#4
\|^|/ ANORAK#17
'^' RBR-Visited:11 Pts: 190 Miles: 580

petrolcan

ungelesen,
16.04.2004, 17:09:1716.04.04
an
In article <59i080562rhqshftm...@4ax.com>, Simon Atkinson
says...

> The Japs are bloody good at what they do - they have made a pleasant
> family saloon that handles to modern standards. No more.

That was my opinion when I owned that car.

Pip

ungelesen,
16.04.2004, 17:10:2616.04.04
an
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:09:15 +0100, Salad Dodger
<salad....@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:03:59 +0100, Pip <p...@ukrm.net> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:49:13 +0100, st...@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH)
>>wrote:

>>>I'm waiting for the temperature at 7am to rise above zero, and for the
>>>rain to stop. Then the bike will come out.
>>
>>You're in Wales. It will never happen (except for August 12th, of
>>course) and that day your battery will be flat. Not that you'll
>>notice.
>
>No need to keep grousing on about it.

It's Glorious. And Famous, come to that.

SteveH

ungelesen,
16.04.2004, 17:11:3916.04.04
an
Pip <p...@ukrm.net> wrote:

> >The lack of feedback is worrying - you can take massive liberties with
> >the car, and get absolutely zero feedback from the chassis. As
> >demonstrated when I covered god knows how many miles on a deflating
> >rear, and didn't notice until it stepped out on a damp roundabout. This
> >is not a good thing, IMHO.
>
> Lack of feedback is one thing, lack of sensitivity from the pilot
> another. I've driven Primeras and they do handle in an easy, neutral
> manner - they are very competent - for a cooking cage. You should
> still be able to tell what is going on, though.

Maybe I'm not sensitive enough, but I find the steering over-assisted,
and the suspension too compliant, IYSWIM. Maybe I'm further from the
limits of it than I think, as I've never managed to get it to do
anything to bite back (the front runs wide on damp roads, but it's done
nothing silly so far - can't even provoke the rear to kick out if I lift
off as I turn in, IYSWIM)

> >> Of course it's boring. If it was devastatingly quick it wouldn't be
> >> boring though, would it? It was made to be boring, in an anodyne,
> >> massively understated and yes, competent fashion that only the
> >> Japanese excel at. It is shite - but it will do its job for thousand
> >> miles after thousand miles. Boringly but adequately - certainly not
> >> devastatingly though, FFS. Miles better at doing what you need than
> >> yet another POS "collectable", R@RE, bio-degrading Alfa cunting Romeo.
> >
> >Like I say, it seems to have higher limits than my other recent cages,
> >but that's only because you can't feel what's happening really.
> >Although, the chassis is very competent. Just not my kind of thing. If
> >you're spending 2.5 hours in a car, then it needs some sort of character
> >or you rapidly get bored of driving it.
>
> You're commuting. Hang on, WTF are you commuting 2.5 hours - you've
> moved to Wales, FFS. Anyway, you're driving a car. It isn't
> involving unless you're wondering/worrying what is going to drop off
> next, what that rattle/buzz/squeak is - unless you're piloting an
> RS200 through Clocaenog on the way to the shop, that is.

It's about an hour each way - Caerphilly to Hereford is about 50 miles.

> >> Get back on your bike, Steve. FFS.
> >
> >I'm waiting for the temperature at 7am to rise above zero, and for the
> >rain to stop. Then the bike will come out.
>
> You're in Wales. It will never happen (except for August 12th, of
> course) and that day your battery will be flat. Not that you'll
> notice.

It's getting warmer, and the rain hasn't been too bad. The only thing
that's stopped me using the bike is the groundfrost early in the
morning, which gets worse as I climb up to the top of the Heads of the
Valleys. Once this has gone, then I will use the bike lots more.

petrolcan

ungelesen,
16.04.2004, 17:14:4016.04.04
an
In article <1gccw5a.52x7ue1iib1w3N%st...@italiancar.co.uk>, SteveH
says...

> but I find the steering over-assisted

True

> and the suspension too compliant, IYSWIM.

It does what it's supposed to do.

> Maybe I'm further from the limits of it than I think, as I've never managed to
> get it to do anything to bite back (the front runs wide on damp roads, but it's
> done nothing silly so far - can't even provoke the rear to kick out if I lift
> off as I turn in, IYSWIM)

The front running wide when damp is because of cheap tyres.

SteveH

ungelesen,
16.04.2004, 17:17:5716.04.04
an
petrolcan <colmREMO...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> In article <1gccw5a.52x7ue1iib1w3N%st...@italiancar.co.uk>, SteveH
> says...
>
> > but I find the steering over-assisted
>
> True
>
> > and the suspension too compliant, IYSWIM.
>
> It does what it's supposed to do.
>
> > Maybe I'm further from the limits of it than I think, as I've never
> > managed to get it to do anything to bite back (the front runs wide on
> > damp roads, but it's done nothing silly so far - can't even provoke the
> > rear to kick out if I lift off as I turn in, IYSWIM)
>
> The front running wide when damp is because of cheap tyres.

This I know. It's just odd that it doesn't affect the rear in the same
way.

What I do know is that if I abused the handling of either my old 33 or
the 75 in the same way I do the Primera it would have been 'exit stage
left, backwards' before I knew it. Ultimately, the 75 would probably be
quicker, but you'd have to be more 'refined' in doing it, IYSWIM.

petrolcan

ungelesen,
16.04.2004, 17:19:5116.04.04
an
In article <1gccwiv.c3ffeaetladvN%st...@italiancar.co.uk>, SteveH
says...

> What I do know is that if I abused the handling of either my old 33 or
> the 75 in the same way I do the Primera it would have been 'exit stage
> left, backwards' before I knew it. Ultimately, the 75 would probably be
> quicker, but you'd have to be more 'refined' in doing it, IYSWIM.

So what you are really saying is that the Nissan is a better handling
car that your Alfa?

SteveH

ungelesen,
16.04.2004, 17:22:5516.04.04
an
petrolcan <colmREMO...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> In article <1gccwiv.c3ffeaetladvN%st...@italiancar.co.uk>, SteveH
> says...
>
> > What I do know is that if I abused the handling of either my old 33 or
> > the 75 in the same way I do the Primera it would have been 'exit stage
> > left, backwards' before I knew it. Ultimately, the 75 would probably be
> > quicker, but you'd have to be more 'refined' in doing it, IYSWIM.
>
> So what you are really saying is that the Nissan is a better handling
> car that your Alfa?

Yup, that's most likely the case. I'm not saying that the Alfa couldn't
be made to go quicker, but it would bite you for things the Nissan lets
you get away with.

However, the 75 feels alive, and certainly makes me smile when I drive
it, so I'm getting the refurb gearbox sorted and taking it back as my
daily driver by the looks of things.

Pip

ungelesen,
16.04.2004, 17:37:0616.04.04
an
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:11:39 +0100, st...@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH)
wrote:

>Pip <p...@ukrm.net> wrote:

>> Lack of feedback is one thing, lack of sensitivity from the pilot
>> another. I've driven Primeras and they do handle in an easy, neutral
>> manner - they are very competent - for a cooking cage. You should
>> still be able to tell what is going on, though.
>
>Maybe I'm not sensitive enough, but I find the steering over-assisted,
>and the suspension too compliant, IYSWIM. Maybe I'm further from the
>limits of it than I think, as I've never managed to get it to do
>anything to bite back (the front runs wide on damp roads, but it's done
>nothing silly so far - can't even provoke the rear to kick out if I lift
>off as I turn in, IYSWIM)

It is engineered to be SAFE. Numpty-resistant, if you will - and
you're proving that it works. If you're really trying to _kick_ the
back _out_ on a FWD medium saloon, you're being pretty brutal; but
evidentially, not brutal enough.

>> You're commuting. Hang on, WTF are you commuting 2.5 hours - you've
>> moved to Wales, FFS. Anyway, you're driving a car. It isn't
>> involving unless you're wondering/worrying what is going to drop off
>> next, what that rattle/buzz/squeak is - unless you're piloting an
>> RS200 through Clocaenog on the way to the shop, that is.
>
>It's about an hour each way - Caerphilly to Hereford is about 50 miles.

Right. So either you pass through a timezone or your original
assertion was some way off, then. I'm sure most people could live
with dead-heading it for 50 miles before and after work: put some
music on, spark a fag up and off you go - before you know it, you're
home.

FWIW, I used to commute from Aylesbury to CMK on a daily basis - in a
MKI Golf GTi. That wasn't devastatingly quick, but it was a most
entertaining little car - but the trip still got on my tits. So, IME,
your basic preposition is unfounded.

petrolcan

ungelesen,
16.04.2004, 17:37:1716.04.04
an
In article <1gccwry.1b3xqo55e6a7zN%st...@italiancar.co.uk>, SteveH
says...

> petrolcan <colmREMO...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <1gccwiv.c3ffeaetladvN%st...@italiancar.co.uk>, SteveH
> > says...
> >
> > > What I do know is that if I abused the handling of either my old 33 or
> > > the 75 in the same way I do the Primera it would have been 'exit stage
> > > left, backwards' before I knew it. Ultimately, the 75 would probably be
> > > quicker, but you'd have to be more 'refined' in doing it, IYSWIM.
> >
> > So what you are really saying is that the Nissan is a better handling
> > car that your Alfa?
>
> Yup, that's most likely the case.

See, you are geeing cured :-)

SteveH

ungelesen,
16.04.2004, 17:39:4416.04.04
an
Pip <p...@ukrm.net> wrote:

> >It's about an hour each way - Caerphilly to Hereford is about 50 miles.
>
> Right. So either you pass through a timezone or your original
> assertion was some way off, then. I'm sure most people could live
> with dead-heading it for 50 miles before and after work: put some
> music on, spark a fag up and off you go - before you know it, you're
> home.

It's roughly 2.5 hours total - an hour-ish each way, plus sitting in
traffic for 15 mins to get in and out of Hereford.

petrolcan

ungelesen,
16.04.2004, 17:41:3016.04.04
an
In article <MPG.1aea622cf...@news.individual.net>, petrolcan
says...

> In article <1gccwry.1b3xqo55e6a7zN%st...@italiancar.co.uk>, SteveH
> says...
> > petrolcan <colmREMO...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > In article <1gccwiv.c3ffeaetladvN%st...@italiancar.co.uk>, SteveH
> > > says...

> > > So what you are really saying is that the Nissan is a better handling
> > > car that your Alfa?
> >
> > Yup, that's most likely the case.
>
> See, you are geeing cured :-)

'being' obviously, and I've not even had a drink.

Molly

ungelesen,
16.04.2004, 17:58:2916.04.04
an
Simon Atkinson wrote:

> Timo Geusch said:
>
>> Simon Atkinson was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:
>>> As I can see at the moment, the main thing would be that the
>>> headlights would need adjusting - one of them is pointing a bit
>>> out of line. Otherwise it's OK.
>>
>> Doesn't sound too bad - if that's all that's required, fine, if
>> not, well, it's not that it's an expensive car...
>>
>>> If you want it come and get it - I can pick you up from the local
>>> station (if that's how you want to get here), and we can look at
>>> my Pan and compare it (mentally) to yours...
>>
>> Sounds good - would you be in Sunday? Oh, and do you still have a
>> certain Pan rear wheel?
>
> Yes to both... Is the addy you use a real one? If not - email me on
> simes at wafer dot org dot uk and we'll sort something out...

I emailed you this morning.

--
Molly
Who am I? http://www.MollyG.net/intro2molly/about-me.htm

Timo Geusch

ungelesen,
17.04.2004, 02:31:1417.04.04
an
Simon Atkinson was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:
> Yes to both... Is the addy you use a real one? If not - email me on
> simes at wafer dot org dot uk and we'll sort something out...

Yep, that's my real address. It's just allergic to email from forged
domains to keep the amount of spam down.

Ben Blaney

ungelesen,
17.04.2004, 03:46:4117.04.04
an
SteveH wrote:

>No, it says they've engineered out _all_ the feedback

So they've sanitised a devastatingly quick vehicle so it's boring?
You and Dr Gower should get together. You'd have lots to talk about.

--
Ben Blaney

Ben Blaney

ungelesen,
17.04.2004, 03:48:2017.04.04
an
SteveH wrote:

>can't even provoke the rear to kick out if I lift
>off as I turn in, IYSWIM)

I'm not saying that it's not possible to rear-wheel slide a FWD car,
but I will say that if rear-wheel slides are what you want, then you
want a rear-wheel drive car.

--
Ben Blaney

Ginge

ungelesen,
17.04.2004, 04:43:1817.04.04
an
In article <34k080tsi7n2ckkgm...@4ax.com>, Pip says...

> >It's about an hour each way - Caerphilly to Hereford is about 50 miles.
>
> Right. So either you pass through a timezone or your original
> assertion was some way off, then. I'm sure most people could live
> with dead-heading it for 50 miles before and after work: put some
> music on, spark a fag up and off you go - before you know it, you're
> home.
>
> FWIW, I used to commute from Aylesbury to CMK on a daily basis - in a
> MKI Golf GTi. That wasn't devastatingly quick, but it was a most
> entertaining little car - but the trip still got on my tits. So, IME,
> your basic preposition is unfounded.

For 9 months+ I used to commute Chesterfield -> Oldham. I actually
enjoyed the hours I spent listening to CD's or Radio 4, but I ended up
buying 2 or 3 CD's every week...

--
Ginge [at] stopthevoices [dot] org [dot] uk
- ZRX1200R, SZR660

I hope you know this will go down on your permanent record.

Ginge

ungelesen,
17.04.2004, 04:43:4817.04.04
an
In article <1gccxkt.ttxmxvinaz58N%st...@italiancar.co.uk>, SteveH
says...

> Pip <p...@ukrm.net> wrote:
>
> > >It's about an hour each way - Caerphilly to Hereford is about 50 miles.
> >
> > Right. So either you pass through a timezone or your original
> > assertion was some way off, then. I'm sure most people could live
> > with dead-heading it for 50 miles before and after work: put some
> > music on, spark a fag up and off you go - before you know it, you're
> > home.
>
> It's roughly 2.5 hours total - an hour-ish each way, plus sitting in
> traffic for 15 mins to get in and out of Hereford.

So, nothing excessive then.

Ben Blaney

ungelesen,
17.04.2004, 05:19:2417.04.04
an
Ginge wrote:

>For 9 months+ I used to commute Chesterfield -> Oldham. I actually
>enjoyed the hours I spent listening to CD's or Radio 4, but I ended up
>buying 2 or 3 CD's every week...

More than paid for out of the profit from the IR mileage allowance,
I'd have thought.

--
Ben Blaney

Lozzo

ungelesen,
17.04.2004, 05:54:5917.04.04
an
Ben Blaney says...

Or a Transit van.

--
Lozzo : The Speedyspic
YZF1000R (Big boy's Power-Valve)

Ben Blaney

ungelesen,
17.04.2004, 06:15:4217.04.04
an
Lozzo wrote:

>Ben Blaney says...
>> SteveH wrote:
>>
>> >can't even provoke the rear to kick out if I lift
>> >off as I turn in, IYSWIM)
>>
>> I'm not saying that it's not possible to rear-wheel slide a FWD car,
>> but I will say that if rear-wheel slides are what you want, then you
>> want a rear-wheel drive car.
>
>Or a Transit van.

I've always had more success getting a transit van on two wheels
rather than sliding the back.

--
Ben Blaney

sweller

ungelesen,
17.04.2004, 06:50:0117.04.04
an
SteveH wrote:

> No, it says they've engineered out all the feedback to the extent

> that, IMHO, it's actually dangerous. I'd certainly notice (and have) if
> the Alfa had a deflating tyre, becuase you get loads of feeback about
> what's going on around you.

Interesting way of saying "about to crash"

--
Simon

Brighton | MYSOB: http://www.sweller.co.uk/sob/
England | MZSOB: http://www.mztech.fsnet.co.uk/

sweller

ungelesen,
17.04.2004, 06:51:0117.04.04
an
Ben Blaney wrote:

> > No, it says they've engineered out all the feedback

> So they've sanitised a devastatingly quick vehicle so it's boring?
> You and Dr Gower should get together. You'd have lots to talk about.

You're not being nice there, are you?

Ben Blaney

ungelesen,
17.04.2004, 07:02:5017.04.04
an
sweller wrote:

>Ben Blaney wrote:
>
>> > No, it says they've engineered out all the feedback
>>
>> So they've sanitised a devastatingly quick vehicle so it's boring?
>> You and Dr Gower should get together. You'd have lots to talk about.
>
>You're not being nice there, are you?

You're right. It's an insult.

--
Ben Blaney

Ginge

ungelesen,
17.04.2004, 07:21:2617.04.04
an
In article <6kt1809i9pjstfdq6...@4ax.com>, Ben Blaney
says...

Company car (2.5 V6) plus petrol card, so no.

I got my money's worth by averaging 18MPG and 100MPH on every journey,
without getting any points on my licence.

sweller

ungelesen,
17.04.2004, 07:55:4217.04.04
an
Ben Blaney wrote:

You see, nothing gets past me.

Wizard

ungelesen,
17.04.2004, 08:07:4017.04.04
an
In article <uof080tijakhculi8...@4ax.com>, Simon
Atkinson
(m...@privacy.net) says...

(To Timo):

> If you want it come and get it - I can pick you up from the local
> station (if that's how you want to get here),

For some reason, I've a feeling the train service is going to be
disrupted that day...

--
<8P Watford Wizard | Suzuki GS550 Golf GTi 16v
COSOC#8 COFF#24 BOTAFOT#138 STG#1 BREast#5 DFV#11 ANORAK#17

Back from Norwich after 21 weeks, and not at all like Alan
Partridge

Wizard

ungelesen,
17.04.2004, 08:47:1617.04.04
an
In article <dti0805kerun46011...@4ax.com>, Pip
(p...@ukrm.net) says...

> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:09:15 +0100, Salad Dodger
> <salad....@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:03:59 +0100, Pip <p...@ukrm.net> wrote:

> >>You're in Wales. It will never happen (except for August 12th, of
> >>course) and that day your battery will be flat. Not that you'll
> >>notice.
> >
> >No need to keep grousing on about it.
>
> It's Glorious. And Famous, come to that.

Go on, Steve! Give'em both barrels!

Ben Blaney

ungelesen,
17.04.2004, 09:12:3517.04.04
an
sweller wrote:

>> > You're not being nice there, are you?
>>
>> You're right. It's an insult.
>
>You see, nothing gets past me.

The thing is, if you hadn't pointed out, I doubt that Steve would have
noticed.

--
Ben Blaney

sweller

ungelesen,
17.04.2004, 09:18:3717.04.04
an
Ben Blaney wrote:

> >> You're right. It's an insult.
> >
> > You see, nothing gets past me.
>
> The thing is, if you hadn't pointed out, I doubt that Steve would have
> noticed.

Surely not?

Kiran

ungelesen,
17.04.2004, 12:20:1217.04.04
an
"sweller" <n...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in news:c5r26i$4p434$3@ID-
144385.news.uni-berlin.de:

>> So they've sanitised a devastatingly quick vehicle so it's boring?
>> You and Dr Gower should get together. You'd have lots to talk about.
>
> You're not being nice there, are you?

I thought he was being fairly polite. ;-)

--
Kiran D.Bot (Celeritas)
CBR1100XX

Andy Bonwick

ungelesen,
18.04.2004, 07:07:1018.04.04
an
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 13:15:42 +0300, Ben Blaney <benb...@ukrm.net>
wrote:
snip>

>I've always had more success getting a transit van on two wheels
>rather than sliding the back.

Try driving one of the flareside transits, they slide with no
provocation at all. I've managed a 360 in our works one exiting a
roundabout at about 30mph and it's not an experience I want to
repeat.
--
Andy Bonwick
ZX9RE1

Ben Blaney

ungelesen,
18.04.2004, 07:09:3818.04.04
an
Andy Bonwick wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 13:15:42 +0300, Ben Blaney <benb...@ukrm.net>
>wrote:
>snip>
>>
>>I've always had more success getting a transit van on two wheels
>>rather than sliding the back.
>
>Try driving one of the flareside transits, they slide with no
>provocation at all. I've managed a 360 in our works one exiting a
>roundabout at about 30mph and it's not an experience I want to
>repeat.

I've never driven a flareside. I've always thought they looked pretty
neat. For a transit van.

--
Ben Blaney

Andy Bonwick

ungelesen,
18.04.2004, 08:56:2218.04.04
an
On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 14:09:38 +0300, Ben Blaney <benb...@ukrm.net>
wrote:

>Andy Bonwick wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 13:15:42 +0300, Ben Blaney <benb...@ukrm.net>
>>wrote:
>>snip>
>>>
>>>I've always had more success getting a transit van on two wheels
>>>rather than sliding the back.
>>
>>Try driving one of the flareside transits, they slide with no
>>provocation at all. I've managed a 360 in our works one exiting a
>>roundabout at about 30mph and it's not an experience I want to
>>repeat.
>
>I've never driven a flareside. I've always thought they looked pretty
>neat. For a transit van.

They look ok but they *really* are crap. I couldn't believe how easy
it was to slide the bastard way past where it stopped being funny.

Champ

ungelesen,
18.04.2004, 10:05:1018.04.04
wrote:

>> > I'm currently looking to replace the Primera....
>>
>> Too reliable for you?
>
>I'm bored of it, to be honest. It's a devastatingly quick cross-country
>car, but, if anything, it's _too_ competent. I'm driving it like a cunt,
>and so far have got away with it, but the complete lack of decent
>feedback from the chassis is worrying - it'll get me into trouble one
>day. Did I mention that I find it boring?

My Primera was probably the best car I've owned, in, admitedly, a not
very glorious list of cars. I agree that it is competently quick
across country, but, unlike you, I got a lot of fun out of driving it
so. And, I thought the chassis feedback was great; although mine only
had 130bhp, I could balance it between oversteer and understeer on the
throttle in the wet quite nicely. I drove it like a cunt for 3
years/50+ k miles, and never had a spin or much of a moment in it.
--
Champ
GSX-R 1000, GPz 750 turbo, ZX7RR Endurance Racer x 2

Abso

ungelesen,
18.04.2004, 15:51:3218.04.04
an
Champ wrote:

> >> Too reliable for you?
> >
> > I'm bored of it, to be honest. It's a devastatingly quick

> > cross-country car, but, if anything, it's too competent. I'm

> > driving it like a cunt, and so far have got away with it, but the
> > complete lack of decent feedback from the chassis is worrying -
> > it'll get me into trouble one day. Did I mention that I find it
> > boring?
>
> My Primera was probably the best car I've owned, in, admitedly, a not
> very glorious list of cars. I agree that it is competently quick
> across country, but, unlike you, I got a lot of fun out of driving it
> so. And, I thought the chassis feedback was great; although mine only
> had 130bhp, I could balance it between oversteer and understeer on the
> throttle in the wet quite nicely. I drove it like a cunt for 3
> years/50+ k miles, and never had a spin or much of a moment in it.

I guess it's one of those cars that out performs its image. The
opposite of, say, a BMW 3 series.

--
Abso [at] ukrm [dot] net

CHI#1 WG*#3 PM#4 DFV#9 BOTAFOT#108