Braces (for keeping your trousers up)

jeremy

Mar 19, 2023, 12:58:02 PM3/19/23
My HG trousers don't have a belt loop and I have recently lost a little off
the middle - braces seem like the obvious solution to helping to keep the
trousers in the desired position.

I don't think they have any specific attachment points so assume they just
clip to the waist. Any avoids / recommends?

ta

--
jeremy

Turby

Mar 19, 2023, 2:07:27 PM3/19/23
I bought some not long ago and am happy. Brand name George, cost $9.
They just clip on my trou, easily. Similar to these:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=suspenders+for+men&crid=3J4YZ71NUNAWP&sprefix=sus%2Caps%2C173&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_3

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS & ST1100 (in memoriam)

geoffC

Mar 19, 2023, 4:26:43 PM3/19/23
Suspenders :-)

--
Geoff
NTV 650

wessie

Mar 19, 2023, 6:21:49 PM3/19/23
jeremy <jerem...@gmail.com> wrote in
I use some Brimarc braces with a pair of textile "mesh" trousers.

Plenty of different styles available. I went for the 50mm wide jobs to give
a decent load spread on my shoulders.

Ebay, Amazon and many other online stores.

YTC#1

Mar 20, 2023, 5:17:38 AM3/20/23
<snigger>

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Colin Irvine

Mar 20, 2023, 5:22:29 AM3/20/23
Galluses.

--
Colin Irvine
FJR1300A

chrisnd @ukrm

Mar 20, 2023, 6:57:52 AM3/20/23
Is that because you have heavy trousers?
Or just lots of loose change?

Chris
--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t

Champ

Mar 20, 2023, 11:42:47 AM3/20/23
On Mon, 20 Mar 2023 09:22:28 +0000, Colin Irvine
<lo...@colinandpat.co.uk> wrote:

>>Suspenders :-)

>Galluses.

Interesting. The plural (galluses) does indeed mean suspenders in
Scotland, but the colloquial and equally Scottish word "gallus" means
"an act of boldness or daring".

Ain't language funny?
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

ogden

Mar 20, 2023, 11:57:18 AM3/20/23
Champ wrote:
> Interesting. The plural (galluses) does indeed mean suspenders in
> Scotland, but the colloquial and equally Scottish word "gallus" means
> "an act of boldness or daring".

Which I'm guessing you know because it's the title of a Gun album?

jeremy

Mar 20, 2023, 12:47:42 PM3/20/23
On 20 Mar 2023 at 10:57:49 GMT, "chr...@privacy.net" <chr...@privacy.net>
wrote:

>> I use some Brimarc braces with a pair of textile "mesh" trousers.
>>
>> Plenty of different styles available. I went for the 50mm wide jobs to give
>> a decent load spread on my shoulders.
>
> Is that because you have heavy trousers?
> Or just lots of loose change?

Could equally be that he has minute shoulders.
--
jeremy

Bruce Horrocks

Mar 20, 2023, 7:54:10 PM3/20/23
FWIW my HG trousers came with waistcoat + braces combined affair that
zips onto the trousers.

If there's no new-old stock available anywhere then at least go for
something that claims to be motorcycle specific, e.g.
<https://www.amazon.co.uk/VIPER-MOTO-Accessories-Braces-Elasticated/dp/B017UKP6W4/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=motorcycle+braces&qid=1679355928&sr=8-6>

TBH I don't think those clips would hold in an accident though.

--
Bruce Horrocks
FJR1300AS

wessie

Mar 20, 2023, 8:35:35 PM3/20/23
"chrisnd @ukrm" <chr...@privacy.net> wrote in

> On 19/03/2023 22:21, wessie wrote:
>>
>> I use some Brimarc braces with a pair of textile "mesh" trousers.
>>
>> Plenty of different styles available. I went for the 50mm wide jobs
>> to give a decent load spread on my shoulders.
>
> Is that because you have heavy trousers?
> Or just lots of loose change?

the former, BMW Rallye jobs with CE armour in hips & knees, meaning there
is a risk of doing a Brian Rix without the braces

I have some Rukka trousers as well. These came with braces, using their own
bespoke design for attachment, so unable to use them with the BMW trews.

Turby

Mar 21, 2023, 12:27:34 AM3/21/23
For once, the Merkin version actually seems more appropriate. Trousers
being suspended from the shoulders instead of braced somehow.

Champ

Mar 21, 2023, 5:31:45 AM3/21/23
On Mon, 20 Mar 2023 08:57:15 -0700 (PDT), ogden <eld...@gmail.com>
wrote:
<rumbled>

jeremy

Mar 21, 2023, 6:01:49 AM3/21/23
On 21 Mar 2023 at 04:27:33 GMT, "Turby" <xs...@xmail.com> wrote:

> For once, the Merkin version actually seems more appropriate. Trousers
> being suspended from the shoulders instead of braced somehow.

Except you actually use your suspenders to keep your pants up.

--
jeremy

Turby

Mar 21, 2023, 6:56:48 AM3/21/23
Yes. Your pants are suspended from your shoulders.
"to suspend: to hang so as to be free on all sides except at the point
of support "

chrisnd @ukrm

Mar 21, 2023, 7:09:20 AM3/21/23
On 21/03/2023 10:56, Turby wrote:
> On 3/21/2023 3:01 AM, jeremy wrote:
>> On 21 Mar 2023 at 04:27:33 GMT, "Turby" <xs...@xmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> For once, the Merkin version actually seems more appropriate. Trousers
>>> being suspended from the shoulders instead of braced somehow.
>>
>> Except you actually use your suspenders to keep your pants up.
>>
> Yes. Your pants are suspended from your shoulders.
> "to suspend: to hang so as to be free on all sides except at the point
> of support "

Surly if your trousers are hanging 'free on all sides' you either have
very thin legs or are wearing clown trousers?

(asking for a friend)

chrisnd @ukrm

Mar 21, 2023, 7:12:26 AM3/21/23
On 21/03/2023 00:35, wessie wrote:
> "chrisnd @ukrm" <chr...@privacy.net> wrote in
>
>> On 19/03/2023 22:21, wessie wrote:
>>>
>>> I use some Brimarc braces with a pair of textile "mesh" trousers.
>>>
>>> Plenty of different styles available. I went for the 50mm wide jobs
>>> to give a decent load spread on my shoulders.
>>
>> Is that because you have heavy trousers?
>> Or just lots of loose change?
>
> the former, BMW Rallye jobs with CE armour in hips & knees, meaning there
> is a risk of doing a Brian Rix without the braces

Now there is a name I had forgotten. As I child, I never understood
what was going on and why all the men ended up without their trousers
(but still with their pants on, obvs - it was the BBC after all!*).

Chris
*ITV was a new thing at the time and only embraced by the 'common
people' IIRC?

RustyHinge

Mar 21, 2023, 10:39:31 AM3/21/23
On 21/03/2023 10:56, Turby wrote:
> On 3/21/2023 3:01 AM, jeremy wrote:
>> On 21 Mar 2023 at 04:27:33 GMT, "Turby" <xs...@xmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> For once, the Merkin version actually seems more appropriate. Trousers
>>> being suspended from the shoulders instead of braced somehow.
>>
>> Except you actually use your suspenders to keep your pants up.
>>
> Yes. Your pants are suspended from your shoulders.
> "to suspend: to hang so as to be free on all sides except at the point
> of support "

*My* pants are kept up with an elastic waistband.

The use of the word pants for 'trousers' is pants.

--
Rusty Hinge

RustyHinge

Mar 21, 2023, 10:41:45 AM3/21/23
On 21/03/2023 11:09, chrisnd @ukrm wrote:
> On 21/03/2023 10:56, Turby wrote:

>>> Except you actually use your suspenders to keep your pants up.
>>>
>> Yes. Your pants are suspended from your shoulders.
>> "to suspend: to hang so as to be free on all sides except at the point
>> of support "
>>
> Surly if your trousers are hanging 'free on all sides' you either have
> very thin legs or are wearing clown trousers?
>
> (asking for a friend)

Or you have a pair of Belstaff waterproof trousers.

chrisnd @ukrm

Mar 21, 2023, 12:04:17 PM3/21/23
On 21/03/2023 14:41, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 21/03/2023 11:09, chrisnd @ukrm wrote:

>>> Yes. Your pants are suspended from your shoulders.
>>> "to suspend: to hang so as to be free on all sides except at the
>>> point of support "
>>>
>> Surly if your trousers are hanging 'free on all sides' you either have
>> very thin legs or are wearing clown trousers?
>>
>> (asking for a friend)
>
> Or you have a pair of Belstaff waterproof trousers.

:-)

wessie

Mar 21, 2023, 12:10:22 PM3/21/23
"chrisnd @ukrm" <chr...@privacy.net> wrote in news:k7thitFbr3nU1
@mid.individual.net:

> On 21/03/2023 10:56, Turby wrote:

>>> Except you actually use your suspenders to keep your pants up.
>>>
>> Yes. Your pants are suspended from your shoulders.
>> "to suspend: to hang so as to be free on all sides except at the point
>> of support "
>>
> Surly if your trousers are hanging 'free on all sides' you either have
> very thin legs or are wearing clown trousers?

I have seen Turby in his yellow overtrousers. He achieves both
characteristics.

chrisnd @ukrm

Mar 21, 2023, 12:23:43 PM3/21/23
LOL
I'm used to getting images in my mind's eye of people I've never met -
but that really does need a photo!

RustyHinge

Mar 21, 2023, 12:28:10 PM3/21/23
+1

Mike Fleming

Mar 21, 2023, 12:38:34 PM3/21/23
Or your stockings. Or your socks.

wessie

Mar 21, 2023, 12:50:09 PM3/21/23
"chrisnd @ukrm" <chr...@privacy.net> wrote in
I don't have one but it was as he left Jen's B&B near Rocamadour a few
years ago

Simon Wilson may be able to assist as he has seen him more than others
around here...

YTC#1

Mar 21, 2023, 2:48:23 PM3/21/23
Turby wears stockings? Does he have the matching basque?

Pipl

Mar 21, 2023, 4:06:23 PM3/21/23
Ahem. Some just need the extra support, OK?

--

-Pip

Turby

Mar 21, 2023, 4:57:59 PM3/21/23
On 3/21/2023 11:48 AM, YTC#1 wrote:

> On 21/03/2023 16:38, Mike Fleming wrote:

>>> Except you actually use your suspenders to keep your pants up.
>>
>> Or your stockings. Or your socks.
>>

> Turby wears stockings?

I used to. When I was a Boy Scout. And I had garters. Dunno what you
Brits might call them. They were cool, with coloured tags. Like these:
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/boy-scout-vintage-uniform-socks-2023838149
I went looking for them, but they've disappeared.

Does he have the matching basque?

(Basque? wazzat?)

YTC#1

Mar 21, 2023, 5:25:28 PM3/21/23
On 21/03/2023 20:57, Turby wrote:
> On 3/21/2023 11:48 AM, YTC#1 wrote:

>>> Or your stockings. Or your socks.
>>>

>> Turby wears stockings?
>
> I used to. When I was a Boy Scout. And I had garters. Dunno what you

We wore socks

> Brits might call them. They were cool, with coloured tags. Like these:
> https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/boy-scout-vintage-uniform-socks-2023838149

You Americans can be weird.

> I went looking for them, but they've disappeared.
>
> Does he have the matching basque?
>>
> (Basque? wazzat?)

What do you call them over the pond?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basque_(clothing)

wessie

Mar 21, 2023, 6:48:32 PM3/21/23
Turby <xs...@xmail.com> wrote in news:tvd5ol$9284$1...@dont-email.me:

> On 3/21/2023 11:48 AM, YTC#1 wrote:

>>> Or your stockings. Or your socks.
>>>

>> Turby wears stockings?
>
> I used to. When I was a Boy Scout. And I had garters. Dunno what you
> Brits might call them. They were cool, with coloured tags. Like these:
> https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/boy-scout-vintage-uniform-socks-
> 2023838149 I went looking for them, but they've disappeared.

garters are a UK thing as well. My mum used to make me use homemade ones
when I was wearing shorts to school, to keep my socks up.

Turby

Mar 21, 2023, 7:53:36 PM3/21/23
Any idea what year that was? OK, it only took a few hours of searching,
but I found the pix. 2013. But I don't think I had yellow trou. I did
have a yellow jacket and a big yellow duffel bag, (which might be
confused for trou from a distance.) Still do. Might have to post a few
more pix.

> Simon Wilson may be able to assist as he has seen him more than others
> around here...

Boots

Mar 21, 2023, 9:08:06 PM3/21/23
On 21/03/2023 19:09 chrisnd @ukrm penned these words:
> On 21/03/2023 10:56, Turby wrote:

>>> Except you actually use your suspenders to keep your pants up.
>>>
>> Yes. Your pants are suspended from your shoulders.
>> "to suspend: to hang so as to be free on all sides except at the point
>> of support "
>>
> Surly if your trousers are hanging 'free on all sides' you either have
> very thin legs or are wearing clown trousers?
>
> (asking for a friend)

Ha. mine are defo clown trousers now, I was a lot fatter when I bought them,
riding in the UK then I wanted room for extra clothes underneath and the inbuilt
lining.

--
Ian

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of
the last priest"

Dean Hoffman

Mar 21, 2023, 10:33:43 PM3/21/23
On Sunday, March 19, 2023 at 11:58:02 AM UTC-5, jeremy wrote:
> My HG trousers don't have a belt loop and I have recently lost a little off
> the middle - braces seem like the obvious solution to helping to keep the
> trousers in the desired position.
>
> I don't think they have any specific attachment points so assume they just
> clip to the waist. Any avoids / recommends?
>
> ta
>

> --
> Jeremy

Another alternative is the old farmer bib overall. Key was a popular brand.
<https://www.amazon.com/Key-Apparel-Garment-Washed-Overall/dp/B0011ULJXU/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=key+overalls+for+men&qid=1679451385&sr=8-2>

RustyHinge

Mar 22, 2023, 9:08:50 AM3/22/23
On 21/03/2023 18:48, YTC#1 wrote:

> On 21/03/2023 16:38, Mike Fleming wrote:

>>> Except you actually use your suspenders to keep your pants up.
>>
>> Or your stockings. Or your socks.
>>

> Turby wears stockings? Does he have the matching basque?

I wear stockings.

Stockings in my case are knitted knee-length socks.

These are worn with:
a) Plus fours;
b) Plus twos;
c) Knee breeches;