Not really the same anymore...

Stephen Packer

Mar 25, 2023, 11:28:27 AM3/25/23
Went to the Kempton Park autojumble today.

Kept expecting to see a beardy bloke selling gaskets and Honda parts.

Well, there were certainly a lot of people that fitted the description, but not the particular beardy bloke I was thinking of.

Gyp

Mar 25, 2023, 1:33:48 PM3/25/23
I saw a chap riding a beautiful 400/4 today. Reminded me of someone.
--
Gyp

wessie

Mar 25, 2023, 2:26:02 PM3/25/23
Gyp <a@b.c> wrote in news:tvnb9p$297vq$1...@dont-email.me:
Blaney?

YTC#1

Mar 25, 2023, 2:47:29 PM3/25/23
On 25/03/2023 15:28, Stephen Packer wrote:
That reminds me. For those that went on the SOB to the Bol run, a number
of years ago an old gent gave me the slides that went to the press.

I came across them recently (while hunting out my tall ship ones) and
have sent them to be digitised.

I'll make them available to any interested SOB to the Bol runners.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Stephen Packer

Mar 25, 2023, 3:21:36 PM3/25/23
On Saturday, 25 March 2023 at 18:26:02 UTC, wessie wrote:
> Gyp <a@b.c> wrote in news:tvnb9p$297vq$1...@dont-email.me:

> > I saw a chap riding a beautiful 400/4 today. Reminded me of someone.
> Blaney?

I'm not convinced he rides them, just polishes them a little.

wessie

Mar 25, 2023, 6:00:33 PM3/25/23
Stephen Packer <stephen...@gmail.com> wrote in news:c2fe8a39-515e-40d0-
87c6-a9a5...@googlegroups.com:
it was the adjective choice, implying garage queen not a bike with a patina
like TOG would have

Ben Blaney

Mar 25, 2023, 8:18:07 PM3/25/23
Actually, I was just saying to the kids at dinner that I want to get mine out on Saturday. A friend of mine says that in Upstate New York 1 April marks the start of motorcycle season (indeed, he counts down to it in the colder, darker times). But I see we might have rain, so it might be a short ride. Plus I need to get home and pack as am leaving for Mexico at 7am on Sunday.

YTC#1

Mar 26, 2023, 5:16:50 AM3/26/23
On 26/03/2023 00:18, Ben Blaney wrote:
> On Saturday, March 25, 2023 at 3:21:36 PM UTC-4, Stephen Packer wrote:
>>> Blaney?
>> I'm not convinced he rides them, just polishes them a little.
>
> Actually, I was just saying to the kids at dinner that I want to get mine out on Saturday. A friend of mine says that in Upstate New York 1 April marks the start of motorcycle season (indeed, he counts down to it in the colder, darker times).

One of those phrases that I hate. "motorcycle season".

wessie

Mar 26, 2023, 5:53:34 AM3/26/23
YTC#1 <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote in

> On 26/03/2023 00:18, Ben Blaney wrote:
>> On Saturday, March 25, 2023 at 3:21:36 PM UTC-4, Stephen Packer
>> wrote:
>>> I'm not convinced he rides them, just polishes them a little.
>>
>> Actually, I was just saying to the kids at dinner that I want to get
>> mine out on Saturday. A friend of mine says that in Upstate New York
>> 1 April marks the start of motorcycle season (indeed, he counts down
>> to it in the colder, darker times).
>
> One of those phrases that I hate. "motorcycle season".

it's not entirely unreasonable in many contexts e.g. many of us here
have stayed in the Hotel Enzian in Landeck, Austria. They have a ski
season and a motorcycle season.

A cafe at the nexus of the A44 & A49 just outside Leominster has a
distinct season and opens next month, as Dom's is almost entirely
reliant on motorcycle riders. Plus Dom is a farmer who will be lambing
earlier in the year, so he very much has seasons to his work.

It's not surpsising that many riders and journalists have adopted the
term which reflects their preference for only riding in warmer weather.

I am assuming you don't like the idea that some people consider riding a
bike as something other than an all year practice? Some sort of RTB
snobbery?

Colin Irvine

Mar 26, 2023, 6:34:47 AM3/26/23
On Sun, 26 Mar 2023 09:53:32 -0000 (UTC), wessie
<willn...@tesco.net> wrote:

>YTC#1 <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> One of those phrases that I hate. "motorcycle season".
>>

>it's not entirely unreasonable in many contexts e.g. many of us here
>have stayed in the Hotel Enzian in Landeck, Austria. They have a ski
>season and a motorcycle season.
>
>A cafe at the nexus of the A44 & A49 just outside Leominster has a
>distinct season and opens next month, as Dom's is almost entirely
>reliant on motorcycle riders. Plus Dom is a farmer who will be lambing
>earlier in the year, so he very much has seasons to his work.
>
>It's not surpsising that many riders and journalists have adopted the
>term which reflects their preference for only riding in warmer weather.

Nice straight bat there.

>I am assuming you don't like the idea that some people consider riding a
>bike as something other than an all year practice? Some sort of RTB
>snobbery?

That'd be my guess.

--
Colin Irvine
FJR1300A

chrisnd @ukrm

Mar 26, 2023, 6:50:46 AM3/26/23
On 26/03/2023 10:16, YTC#1 wrote:
> On 26/03/2023 00:18, Ben Blaney wrote:
>>> I'm not convinced he rides them, just polishes them a little.
>>
>> Actually, I was just saying to the kids at dinner that I want to get
>> mine out on Saturday.  A friend of mine says that in Upstate New York
>> 1 April marks the start of motorcycle season (indeed, he counts down
>> to it in the colder, darker times).
>
> One of those phrases that I hate. "motorcycle season".

I also hate it (nearly as much as 'boating season').
However, sadly, I recognise that age has forced me into recognising both :-(

Chris
--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t

chrisnd @ukrm

Mar 26, 2023, 6:51:52 AM3/26/23
On 26/03/2023 10:53, wessie wrote:
> YTC#1 <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> On 26/03/2023 00:18, Ben Blaney wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually, I was just saying to the kids at dinner that I want to get
>>> mine out on Saturday. A friend of mine says that in Upstate New York
>>> 1 April marks the start of motorcycle season (indeed, he counts down
>>> to it in the colder, darker times).
>>
>> One of those phrases that I hate. "motorcycle season".
>>

> it's not entirely unreasonable in many contexts e.g. many of us here
> have stayed in the Hotel Enzian in Landeck, Austria. They have a ski
> season and a motorcycle season.
>
> A cafe at the nexus of the A44 & A49 just outside Leominster has a
> distinct season and opens next month, as Dom's is almost entirely
> reliant on motorcycle riders. Plus Dom is a farmer who will be lambing
> earlier in the year, so he very much has seasons to his work.

(bookmarked for possible future use)

wessie

Mar 26, 2023, 7:24:31 AM3/26/23
"chrisnd @ukrm" <chr...@privacy.net> wrote in

>> A cafe at the nexus of the A44 & A49 just outside Leominster has a
>> distinct season and opens next month, as Dom's is almost entirely
>> reliant on motorcycle riders. Plus Dom is a farmer who will be
>> lambing earlier in the year, so he very much has seasons to his work.
>
> (bookmarked for possible future use)

make sure it's this one, not the "American Diner" a mile down the road
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DomsBikeStop/
https://goo.gl/maps/M5KWe3MRG681ef4z9

there is a campsite with shower block & licensed bar

it's very handy as a meeting/separation point for trips to Wales

chrisnd @ukrm

Mar 26, 2023, 7:42:36 AM3/26/23
Useful, ta

Paul Carmichael

Mar 26, 2023, 10:44:22 AM3/26/23
El Sun, 26 Mar 2023 09:53:32 +0000, wessie escribió:

> I am assuming you don't like the idea that some people consider riding a
> bike as something other than an all year practice? Some sort of RTB
> snobbery?

Does anyone remember this used to crop up every Spring when MCN announced
the start of the season.

Quite a few here used to go very quiet...

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es

CT

Mar 26, 2023, 11:12:27 AM3/26/23
I used to be a warm weather only rider[1] and then became an all-year
commuter[2].

Now, I'm a *mainly* warm-weather rider. I do ride all year round (if I
feel like it) but I certainly don't do the mileage during Dec, Jan &
Feb that I do in the other months. I've done about 400 miles so far
this year but mostly through short-ish journeys.

[1] And had quite a reputation for not doing many miles at all
[2] See [1]

--
Chris

YTC#1

Mar 26, 2023, 12:37:06 PM3/26/23

On 26/03/2023 10:53, wessie wrote:
> YTC#1 <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> On 26/03/2023 00:18, Ben Blaney wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually, I was just saying to the kids at dinner that I want to get
>>> mine out on Saturday. A friend of mine says that in Upstate New York
>>> 1 April marks the start of motorcycle season (indeed, he counts down
>>> to it in the colder, darker times).
>>
>> One of those phrases that I hate. "motorcycle season".

<snip>
> I am assuming you don't like the idea that some people consider riding a
> bike as something other than an all year practice? Some sort of RTB
> snobbery?

Nope.
A bit like there is no such thing as a seagull :-)

YTC#1

Mar 26, 2023, 12:39:03 PM3/26/23

On 26/03/2023 11:50, chrisnd @ukrm wrote:
> On 26/03/2023 10:16, YTC#1 wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually, I was just saying to the kids at dinner that I want to get
>>> mine out on Saturday.  A friend of mine says that in Upstate New York
>>> 1 April marks the start of motorcycle season (indeed, he counts down
>>> to it in the colder, darker times).
>>
>> One of those phrases that I hate. "motorcycle season".
>
> I also hate it (nearly as much as 'boating season').
> However, sadly, I recognise that age has forced me into recognising both
> :-(

You can only go on a boat after Spring?

wessie

Mar 26, 2023, 12:50:11 PM3/26/23

> Nope.
> A bit like there is no such thing as a seagull :-)

you are making as much sense as Eric Cantona

Pete Fisher

Mar 26, 2023, 1:11:11 PM3/26/23
Jonathan Livingston Seagull doesn't really exist?
Tell me it ain't so!

--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen

Ben Blaney

Mar 26, 2023, 6:49:16 PM3/26/23
On Sunday, March 26, 2023 at 5:16:50 AM UTC-4, YTC#1 wrote:
> On 26/03/2023 00:18, Ben Blaney wrote:

> > Actually, I was just saying to the kids at dinner that I want to get mine out on Saturday. A friend of mine says that in Upstate New York 1 April marks the start of motorcycle season (indeed, he counts down to it in the colder, darker times).
> One of those phrases that I hate. "motorcycle season".

Well, there are months and months where there's snow on the ground here, so not unreasonable.

RustyHinge

Mar 26, 2023, 7:33:22 PM3/26/23
On 26/03/2023 10:53, wessie wrote:
> YTC#1 <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> On 26/03/2023 00:18, Ben Blaney wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually, I was just saying to the kids at dinner that I want to get
>>> mine out on Saturday. A friend of mine says that in Upstate New York
>>> 1 April marks the start of motorcycle season (indeed, he counts down
>>> to it in the colder, darker times).
>>
>> One of those phrases that I hate. "motorcycle season".
>>

> it's not entirely unreasonable in many contexts e.g. many of us here
> have stayed in the Hotel Enzian in Landeck, Austria. They have a ski
> season and a motorcycle season.
>
> A cafe at the nexus of the A44 & A49 just outside Leominster has a
> distinct season and opens next month, as Dom's is almost entirely
> reliant on motorcycle riders. Plus Dom is a farmer who will be lambing
> earlier in the year, so he very much has seasons to his work.
>
> It's not surpsising that many riders and journalists have adopted the
> term which reflects their preference for only riding in warmer weather.
>
> I am assuming you don't like the idea that some people consider riding a
> bike as something other than an all year practice? Some sort of RTB
> snobbery?

Well, I was around 30 when I got a more-than-3-wheeler licence, and the
only reason I got that was as a teacher in a boarding-school, it was
more than handy.

--
Rusty Hinge

RustyHinge

Mar 26, 2023, 7:44:41 PM3/26/23
On 26/03/2023 17:37, YTC#1 wrote:

> On 26/03/2023 10:53, wessie wrote:
>> YTC#1 <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote in

>>> One of those phrases that I hate. "motorcycle season".
>>>

> <snip>
>> I am assuming you don't like the idea that some people consider riding a
>> bike as something other than an all year practice? Some sort of RTB
>> snobbery?
>
> Nope.
> A bit like there is no such thing as a seagull :-)

<Puts snotrag in polythene bag> Oh yes? <shakes fist>

<Pat> "Have you got a tissue?"
<MICK> "Forget it: it'll be miles away by now." </political incorrectitude>

RustyHinge

Mar 26, 2023, 7:52:06 PM3/26/23
Point taken - I once toured the Highlands of Scotland in the winter on a
solo WD DR G3 Matchless (Without falling off, I might add), but still,
point taken.

chrisnd @ukrm

Mar 27, 2023, 4:42:25 AM3/27/23
On 26/03/2023 17:39, YTC#1 wrote:

> On 26/03/2023 11:50, chrisnd @ukrm wrote:

>>> One of those phrases that I hate. "motorcycle season".
>>
>> I also hate it (nearly as much as 'boating season').
>> However, sadly, I recognise that age has forced me into recognising
>> both :-(
>>

> You can only go on a boat after Spring?

Living on one is fine anytime - but it's not actually boatING!
IYSWIM?

YTC#1

Mar 27, 2023, 4:43:26 AM3/27/23
On 26/03/2023 18:11, Pete Fisher wrote:
> On 26/03/2023 17:50, wessie wrote:
>> YTC#1 <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote in
>>

>>> Nope.
>>> A bit like there is no such thing as a seagull :-)
>>>

>> you are making as much sense as Eric Cantona
>
> Jonathan Livingston Seagull doesn't really exist?
> Tell me it ain't so!

You need to realise there is a barrier between fiction and reality

YTC#1

Mar 27, 2023, 4:45:11 AM3/27/23
On 26/03/2023 23:49, Ben Blaney wrote:
Pah, wusses !
:-)

Pete Fisher

Mar 27, 2023, 4:58:55 AM3/27/23
On 27/03/2023 09:43, YTC#1 wrote:
> On 26/03/2023 18:11, Pete Fisher wrote:
>> On 26/03/2023 17:50, wessie wrote:
>>> YTC#1 <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote in

>>> you are making as much sense as Eric Cantona
>>
>> Jonathan Livingston Seagull doesn't really exist?
>> Tell me it ain't so!
>>
> You need to realise there is a barrier between fiction and reality

Artistic licence is OK though.
Jonathan Livingston Lesser Black-backed Gull isn't a very catchy title.

chrisnd @ukrm

Mar 27, 2023, 5:03:46 AM3/27/23
On 27/03/2023 09:58, Pete Fisher wrote:
> On 27/03/2023 09:43, YTC#1 wrote:

>>> Jonathan Livingston Seagull doesn't really exist?
>>> Tell me it ain't so!
>>>
>> You need to realise there is a barrier between fiction and reality
>>>

> Artistic licence is OK though.
> Jonathan Livingston Lesser Black-backed Gull isn't a very catchy title.

Jonathan Livingston Hawk might be better?

(Jonathan Livingston 12-bore(d)?)

RustyHinge

Mar 27, 2023, 5:26:47 AM3/27/23
On 27/03/2023 09:58, Pete Fisher wrote:
> On 27/03/2023 09:43, YTC#1 wrote:

>>> Jonathan Livingston Seagull doesn't really exist?
>>> Tell me it ain't so!
>>>
>> You need to realise there is a barrier between fiction and reality
>>>

> Artistic licence is OK though.
> Jonathan Livingston Lesser Black-backed Gull isn't a very catchy title.

And IMO not a very catchy performer.

Give me St. John's College (Cantab) any time...

Mike Fleming

Mar 27, 2023, 7:26:23 AM3/27/23
On 26/03/2023 17:37, YTC#1 wrote:

> A bit like there is no such thing as a seagull :-)

Rubbish.

https://www.britishseagull.com/

jeremy

Mar 27, 2023, 8:29:20 AM3/27/23
I wouldn't stay home if I had an arranged ride just because the weather was
inclement; however I popped out today specifically because the weather *is*
good for it - dry (though only around 9c). A very pleasant 40 or so miles.

--
jeremy

Sqirrel99

Mar 27, 2023, 10:40:40 AM3/27/23
"Oh no. Not again"

wessie

Mar 27, 2023, 10:55:37 AM3/27/23
jeremy <jerem...@gmail.com> wrote in

> I wouldn't stay home if I had an arranged ride just because the
> weather was inclement; however I popped out today specifically because
> the weather *is* good for it - dry (though only around 9c). A very
> pleasant 40 or so miles.

AOL

just did a lap of the Cotswolds taking a packed lunch to a favourite
viewpoint https://goo.gl/maps/nzpdDS4kTgeisFBr8

Adam's Cotswold Farm Park just along the road was very busy

I have ditched the muffs until Nov/Dec but one needed to use the heated
grips as it was a bit nippy on the top

chrisnd @ukrm

Mar 27, 2023, 11:02:54 AM3/27/23
<nostalgia mode>
Aaahhh! I used to have one of those - a rare 102+
It had this huge 3" diameter brass exhaust.
I always managed to get it going again within 5 minutes every time it
fell in the canal[1] :-/
Fantastic old thing - bit heavy on the 2-stroke oil but reliable as you
know what.
<nm>

Chris

[1] which was several. It was chained on to the back of my then boat -
but the bracket was not too good and prevented a shorter chain which
meant that on fast tight turns[2] it was prone to swivelling off.
[2]

YTC#1

Mar 27, 2023, 11:26:10 AM3/27/23
Wheras I got the push bike out. (11 miles)

YTC#1

Mar 27, 2023, 11:28:51 AM3/27/23
Nope, do tell.

jeremy

Mar 27, 2023, 11:35:01 AM3/27/23
On 27 Mar 2023 at 16:26:08 BST, "YTC#1" <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:

> Wheras I got the push bike out. (11 miles)

I could have done that too. Though I haven't ridden mine for (insufficient
fingers to calculate) years and I only recently retrieved it from the back of
the garage with the intention of taking it to the tip - it looked seriously
forlorn, flat tyres and a seat that appears to be disintegrating. But I
couldn't bring myself to discard it so it's now awaiting its turn to be given
some TLC.

--
jeremy

Champ

Mar 27, 2023, 11:46:11 AM3/27/23
On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 14:55:35 -0000 (UTC), wessie
<willn...@tesco.net> wrote:

>just did a lap of the Cotswolds taking a packed lunch to a favourite
>viewpoint https://goo.gl/maps/nzpdDS4kTgeisFBr8

Lovely

I have a mate who used to live in Guiting Power
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

chrisnd @ukrm

Mar 27, 2023, 11:53:04 AM3/27/23
Err, well if you're static and on a boat - you are just 'on a boat' - or
maybe even 'living afloat' - but that's not boatING.
You are only 'boatING' while you are in the process of moving about...
Clear now?

YTC#1

Mar 27, 2023, 1:21:14 PM3/27/23
On 27/03/2023 16:34, jeremy wrote:
> On 27 Mar 2023 at 16:26:08 BST, "YTC#1" <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> Wheras I got the push bike out. (11 miles)
>
> I could have done that too. Though I haven't ridden mine for (insufficient
> fingers to calculate) years and I only recently retrieved it from the back of
> the garage with the intention of taking it to the tip - it looked seriously

I've got my old push bike gathering dust in the garage, that reminds me,
I am meant to be donating it to a local charity bike shop.

> forlorn, flat tyres and a seat that appears to be disintegrating. But I
> couldn't bring myself to discard it so it's now awaiting its turn to be given
> some TLC.

Go on, you know you want to.

YTC#1

Mar 27, 2023, 1:23:51 PM3/27/23
So, if a yacht is becalmed you are just on a yacht? :-) Or is yachtING
boatING, or should that be sailING.

And if you are on a tanker moving freight are you shipping or shippING? :-)

Mark Olson

Mar 27, 2023, 2:24:19 PM3/27/23
Here to an even greater degree. There's just no sane way of riding on
the street when there's frozen stretches of rutted ice everywhere.
Even if studded tires were allowed (not since the 70s) I wouldn't
risk it.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Turby

Mar 27, 2023, 6:37:44 PM3/27/23
On 3/26/2023 9:37 AM, YTC#1 wrote:

> A bit like there is no such thing as a seagull :-)

I've heard that baloney here, too. There are gulls who live inland as
well as oceanic gulls, (Great Salt Lake in Utah is notorious for them,)
so differentiating them makes sense. Of course there are numerous
breeds, (the most common here is the Western,) but that's irrelevant.

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS & ST1100 (in memoriam)

YTC#1

Mar 28, 2023, 4:19:20 AM3/28/23
On 27/03/2023 23:37, Turby wrote:
> On 3/26/2023 9:37 AM, YTC#1 wrote:
>>
>> A bit like there is no such thing as a seagull :-)
>>
> I've heard that baloney here, too. There are gulls who live inland as
> well as oceanic gulls, (Great Salt Lake in Utah is notorious for them,)
> so differentiating them makes sense. Of course there are numerous

The issue is that people don't differentiate them.
They see gulls over Derby (near as damn middle of England) and call them
seagulls.

The phrase is only a "common practice" and not such species exists.

> breeds, (the most common here is the Western,) but that's irrelevant.

Herring gulls.
Black headed gulls
common gulls
Lesser black backed gull
Great black back gull

Apart from being gulls, the only think they have in common is being a
right cunt and trying to eat your chips!

Pete Fisher

Mar 28, 2023, 5:38:42 AM3/28/23
On 28/03/2023 09:19, YTC#1 wrote:
> On 27/03/2023 23:37, Turby wrote:
>> On 3/26/2023 9:37 AM, YTC#1 wrote:
>>>

> Apart from being gulls, the only think they have in common is being a
> right cunt and trying to eat your chips!

Or ice cream!

Mike Fleming

Mar 28, 2023, 5:52:44 AM3/28/23
On 28/03/2023 09:19, YTC#1 wrote:

> Herring gulls.
> Black headed gulls
> common gulls
> Lesser black backed gull
> Great black back gull
>
> Apart from being gulls, the only think they have in common is being a
> right cunt and trying to eat your chips!

Herring gulls can frequently be seen hunting shoals of herring across
landfill sites all over the UK.

chrisnd @ukrm

Mar 28, 2023, 6:50:52 AM3/28/23
Discarded kipper bap waste from IoM?

chrisnd @ukrm

Mar 28, 2023, 6:54:19 AM3/28/23
On 28/03/2023 09:19, YTC#1 wrote:
> On 27/03/2023 23:37, Turby wrote:
>> On 3/26/2023 9:37 AM, YTC#1 wrote:
>>>
>>> A bit like there is no such thing as a seagull :-)
>>>
>> I've heard that baloney here, too. There are gulls who live inland as
>> well as oceanic gulls, (Great Salt Lake in Utah is notorious for
>> them,) so differentiating them makes sense. Of course there are numerous
>
> The issue is that people don't differentiate them.
> They see gulls over Derby (near as damn middle of England) and call them
> seagulls.
>
> The phrase is only a "common practice" and not such species exists.

Good point. Here where I am ('near Derby' as it happens - at 'Long Eaton
by the sea') I see plenty of the common and black-headed varieties[1]
daily.

> Apart from being gulls, the only think they have in common is being a
> right cunt and trying to eat your chips!

Sounds like Ilkeston?

Chris
[cunningly avoiding the use of the word 'gull')

chrisnd @ukrm

Mar 28, 2023, 9:04:21 AM3/28/23