paging the current/former orange army riders

siwilson

Mar 4, 2023, 11:28:34 AM3/4/23
How the heck do/did you manage to keep your licence?

--
/Simon

wessie

Mar 4, 2023, 12:20:02 PM3/4/23
siwilson <siwi...@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com> wrote in news:k6h9tgFgnv6U2
@mid.individual.net:

> How the heck do/did you manage to keep your licence?

pervert the course of justice using trigonometry if you are Hog

Pete Fisher

Mar 4, 2023, 1:19:53 PM3/4/23
On 04/03/2023 16:28, siwilson wrote:
> How the heck do/did you manage to keep your licence?

Never have a road legal machine of that ilk (or a near cousin) over 390cc?

--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen

siwilson

Mar 4, 2023, 1:34:16 PM3/4/23
On 04/03/2023 18:19, Pete Fisher wrote:
> On 04/03/2023 16:28, siwilson wrote:
>> How the heck do/did you manage to keep your licence?
>>

> Never have a road legal machine of that ilk (or a near cousin) over 390cc?

I think that makes a lot of sense. I went out for a little practice
today. Got home, fidgetted around for a bit, then went out for another one.

It's mad, especially with one tooth few-lesser on the front sprocket.

--
/Simon

Pete Fisher

Mar 4, 2023, 2:21:07 PM3/4/23
Quite. Even the lardy French tart became fairly lively running hill
climb gearing.

What's that saying about 'cubes'?

Do you reckon it will 'crack the ton' through the finish speed trap at
Shelsley?

Just as well I was never tempted to nail race plates on to the Corsaro
1200, I think.

siwilson

Mar 4, 2023, 2:46:51 PM3/4/23
On 04/03/2023 19:21, Pete Fisher wrote:
> On 04/03/2023 18:34, siwilson wrote:
>>>>

>>> Never have a road legal machine of that ilk (or a near cousin) over
>>> 390cc?
>>>

>> I think that makes a lot of sense. I went out for a little practice
>> today. Got home, fidgetted around for a bit, then went out for another
>> one.
>>
>> It's mad, especially with one tooth few-lesser on the front sprocket.
>>

> Quite. Even the lardy French tart became fairly lively running hill
> climb gearing.
>
> What's that saying about 'cubes'?
>
> Do you reckon it will 'crack the ton' through the finish speed trap at
> Shelsley?

Looking at PJ's times it looks like it could be possible, but I don't
think I quite match his ability and weigh a load more. I was getting ~85
on the 450 so we'll see...

--
/Simon

Pipl

Mar 5, 2023, 9:40:35 AM3/5/23
On Sat, 4 Mar 2023 19:21:03 +0000, Pete Fisher
<pe...@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On 04/03/2023 18:34, siwilson wrote:
>>>>

>>> Never have a road legal machine of that ilk (or a near cousin) over
>>> 390cc?
>>>

>> I think that makes a lot of sense. I went out for a little practice
>> today. Got home, fidgetted around for a bit, then went out for another one.
>>
>> It's mad, especially with one tooth few-lesser on the front sprocket.
>>

>Quite. Even the lardy French tart became fairly lively running hill
>climb gearing.
>
>What's that saying about 'cubes'?

The only one I can remember is "There's no replacement for
displacement", which I thought was attributed to Stirling Moss, but it
seems it's widely used.

--

-Pip

wessie

Mar 5, 2023, 10:48:10 AM3/5/23
Pipl <plus...@live.co.uk> wrote in
did you ignore Merkania?

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15141789/heating-up-the-hot-one/

Originally published in Sports Car Illustrated in February 1957.
"There's no substitute for cubic inches."

Hog

Mar 13, 2023, 9:50:53 AM3/13/23
Hmm perhaps https://flic.kr/p/2jQs4RF
Of course the law stipulates a number plate LED, two will be even better, something helpfully bright.
https://flic.kr/p/2omPY5t

ogden

Mar 13, 2023, 11:30:51 AM3/13/23
On Saturday, 4 March 2023 at 16:28:34 UTC, siwilson wrote:
> How the heck do/did you manage to keep your licence?

Part of the reason I bought mine was to help me keep my licence. It had 2/3 the power and 2/3 the top speed (and even less, with luggage) of the bike it was replacing.

And it still made 20% more power than the one you're talking about.

WUN

Mar 15, 2023, 2:31:09 PM3/15/23
On Monday, March 13, 2023 at 1:50:53 PM UTC, Hog wrote:

> Of course the law stipulates a number plate LED, two will be even better, something helpfully bright.
> https://flic.kr/p/2omPY5t

"It is an offence to show a red light to the front of a vehicle (including a reflector) and a white light to
the rear unless reversing."

Giving the janitors a free pass for a pull seems a little... unwise?

--
WUN

sweller

Mar 16, 2023, 5:48:26 AM3/16/23
WUN wrote:

> > Of course the law stipulates a number plate LED, two will be even
> > better, something helpfully bright. https://flic.kr/p/2omPY5t
>
> "It is an offence to show a red light to the front of a vehicle
> (including a reflector) and a white light to the rear unless
> reversing."
>
> Giving the janitors a free pass for a pull seems a little... unwise?

I was charged with and found guilty of "showing other than a red light
to the rear" when I was pulled for having a crash damaged DT100 many
years ago.

--
Simon

Eddie

Mar 16, 2023, 6:38:30 PM3/16/23
On 04/03/2023 16:28, siwilson wrote:
> How the heck do/did you manage to keep your licence?

Observation, observation, observation. Plus, living in one of the
least-densely populated areas of England, so there's nobody about to see
the naughty things you're doing anyway.

--
Eddie ed...@deguello.org

Hog

Mar 20, 2023, 1:36:40 PM3/20/23
Of course it would be irresponsible to remove the red rear facing light and brake light, fortunately it is an integral part of the Superduke tail unit.
https://flic.kr/p/2jQs4VJ

White number plate lighting is a requirement (4.7.1) and these LED lights did not display directly to the rear.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-motorcycles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment

A thing has to be done properly, looking kosher to the eyeballs of a police rider or driver following, or the regular checks going into Matlock.