R1100RS IS BEST

David Shaw

Nov 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/5/98
ANY BODY HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT BMW R1100RS.....
BEST ALL ROUND MOTORCYCLE FOR COMMUTING, SCRATCHING
AND TOURING
--
> David Shaw @ Omnigraphics
+27 11 472-6356
083 229 7328

Dan Nitschke

Nov 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/5/98
David Shaw wrote:

> ANY BODY HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT BMW R1100RS.....

I like the R1100S better. The seating position makes
more sense, and the engine makes more power.

/* dan: The Anti-Ged -- Scary Git, IY (tm) #1, YJP #1, LCDB (tm) #1 */

Dan Nitschke peDA...@best.com el...@redbrick.com
~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -
It makes me quite immobile, but it lets my feelings
show. -- Jimmy Buffett, "Brahma Fear"

Nighthawk MCC

Nov 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/5/98
In article <3641B936...@omnigraphics.co.za>, David Shaw
<ds...@omnigraphics.co.za> writes

>ANY BODY HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT BMW R1100RS.....
>BEST ALL ROUND MOTORCYCLE FOR COMMUTING,

>SCRATCHING

Scratching... BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA! Your arse maybe!

>AND TOURING
>--
>> David Shaw @ Omnigraphics
> +27 11 472-6356
> 083 229 7328

Badvoc
--
MICHAEL 'BADVOC' STUART Bad...@cifheo1b.demon.co.uk
NIGHTHAWK MCC Nighth...@writeme.com

http://members.xoom.com/NighthawkMCC/index.htm - Oh it's almost ready...

Jonathon Green

Nov 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/6/98
Nighthawk MCC wrote:

> In article <3641B936...@omnigraphics.co.za>, David Shaw
> <ds...@omnigraphics.co.za> writes
> >ANY BODY HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT BMW R1100RS.....
> >BEST ALL ROUND MOTORCYCLE FOR COMMUTING,
>
> >SCRATCHING
>
> Scratching... BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA! Your arse maybe!

Dunno about that actually, there was a guy on an R1100R (the
plain-vanilla unfaired version) at the Dutch Laverda Club trackday at
Croix-en-Ternois (no, it's not a Laverda, no, I'm not Dutch, and yes
Croix _is_ in France, but it made sense at the time, honest...), which
for those who haven't been there is twistier than a very twisty thing
indeed and it was going rather well.

> >AND TOURING
> >--
> >> David Shaw @ Omnigraphics

It's just a shame about some of the owners I guess...

--
Jonathon "JayGee" Green

"Death to all BMW owners who SHOUT pointless rubbish!"

Ian George

Nov 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/6/98
In article <3641B936...@omnigraphics.co.za>, David Shaw
<ds...@omnigraphics.co.za> writes
>ANY BODY HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT BMW R1100RS.....
>BEST ALL ROUND MOTORCYCLE FOR COMMUTING, SCRATCHING
>AND TOURING
IT NEEDS POWER STEERING FOR SCRATCHING

I felt I had to shout back. Sorry.

The RT makes a far better scratcher due to the seating position & wide
bars.
--
Ian George

R80RT, Funduro.
www.funduro.demon.co.uk

Windy

Nov 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/7/98
On Fri, 6 Nov 1998 23:27:36 +0000, Ian George
<i...@funduro.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>IT NEEDS POWER STEERING FOR SCRATCHING
>
>I felt I had to shout back. Sorry.

Shouting's one thing ...

BUT A BLOODY APOLOGY IS QUITE ANOTHER!

See me in my office.

--
~*~*~*~* " W I N D Y" *~*~*~*~
To Love Life You Have To Live It!

Ian George

Nov 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/7/98
In article <367883f3....@news.u-net.com>, Windy <sue@windfalls.u-
net.com> writes

>On Fri, 6 Nov 1998 23:27:36 +0000, Ian George
><i...@funduro.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>IT NEEDS POWER STEERING FOR SCRATCHING
>>
>>I felt I had to shout back. Sorry.
>
>Shouting's one thing ...
>
>BUT A BLOODY APOLOGY IS QUITE ANOTHER!
>
>See me in my office.

Sorry Windy, an unfortunate lapse. I'll ensure that it doesn't happen
again.

Donald Deasy

Nov 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/7/98
Ian George wrote:

> In article <3641B936...@omnigraphics.co.za>, David Shaw
> <ds...@omnigraphics.co.za> writes
> >ANY BODY HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT BMW R1100RS.....
> >BEST ALL ROUND MOTORCYCLE FOR COMMUTING, SCRATCHING
> >AND TOURING
> IT NEEDS POWER STEERING FOR SCRATCHING
>
> I felt I had to shout back. Sorry.
>
> The RT makes a far better scratcher due to the seating position & wide
> bars.

Yeah, the R80RT is the best bike in the whole world.

Kippis
Donald

Mike Hibbert

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
Ian George wrote in message <8J3T5EAd...@funduro.demon.co.uk>...

>In article <367883f3....@news.u-net.com>, Windy <sue@windfalls.u-
>net.com> writes
>>On Fri, 6 Nov 1998 23:27:36 +0000, Ian George
>><i...@funduro.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>IT NEEDS POWER STEERING FOR SCRATCHING
>>>
>>>I felt I had to shout back. Sorry.
>>
>>Shouting's one thing ...
>>
>>BUT A BLOODY APOLOGY IS QUITE ANOTHER!
>>
>>See me in my office.
>>
>Sorry Windy, an unfortunate lapse. I'll ensure that it doesn't happen
>again.

uh-oh a double apology, thats a serious offence, whats the punishment for
that Windy, and can I watch?
--
Mike Hibbert
GSX600F

Ian George

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
In article <3644AFA6...@intapp.co.uk>, Donald Deasy
<donald...@intapp.co.uk> writes

>Ian George wrote:
>>
>> In article <3641B936...@omnigraphics.co.za>, David Shaw
>> <ds...@omnigraphics.co.za> writes
>> >ANY BODY HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT BMW R1100RS.....
>> >BEST ALL ROUND MOTORCYCLE FOR COMMUTING, SCRATCHING
>> >AND TOURING
>> IT NEEDS POWER STEERING FOR SCRATCHING
>>
>> I felt I had to shout back. Sorry.
>>
>> The RT makes a far better scratcher due to the seating position & wide
>> bars.
>
>Yeah, the R80RT is the best bike in the whole world.

I meant the R1100RT! Mind you, now you come to mention it...

Ian George

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
In article <723ln8$rsq$1...@plug.news.pipex.net>, Mike Hibbert
<mike.h...@dial.pipex.com> writes

>uh-oh a double apology, thats a serious offence, whats the punishment for
>that Windy, and can I watch?

How much are you willing to pay?

:-()

Mike Hibbert

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
Ian George wrote in message <3yHh3EAf...@funduro.demon.co.uk>...

>In article <723ln8$rsq$1...@plug.news.pipex.net>, Mike Hibbert
><mike.h...@dial.pipex.com> writes
>
>>uh-oh a double apology, thats a serious offence, whats the punishment for
>>that Windy, and can I watch?
>
>How much are you willing to pay?

well, if its Windy administering the punishment.....

Windy

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
On Sun, 8 Nov 1998 08:42:29 -0000, "Mike Hibbert"
<mike.h...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

>Ian George wrote in message <8J3T5EAd...@funduro.demon.co.uk>...
>>In article <367883f3....@news.u-net.com>, Windy <sue@windfalls.u-
>>net.com> writes

>>>Shouting's one thing ...
>>>
>>>BUT A BLOODY APOLOGY IS QUITE ANOTHER!
>>>
>>>See me in my office.
>>>
>>Sorry Windy, an unfortunate lapse. I'll ensure that it doesn't happen
>>again.
>

>uh-oh a double apology, thats a serious offence,

No, no Mike.

You have to learn the difference between a real
apology and someone who's just being bloody
facetious! ;o)

barry

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98

>> The RT makes a far better scratcher due to the seating position & wide
>> bars.
>
>Yeah, the R80RT is the best bike in the whole world.
This may be true, but it's not in *this* world.

--
Barry Richards
BOF #13

Mervyn

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
Have you tried the R1100S yet? You will want one!!!!!!!!

Mervyn

David Shaw wrote in message <3641B936...@omnigraphics.co.za>...

>ANY BODY HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT BMW R1100RS.....
>BEST ALL ROUND MOTORCYCLE FOR COMMUTING, SCRATCHING
>AND TOURING

>--
>> David Shaw @ Omnigraphics

Philip Luke

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
>ANY BODY HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT BMW R1100RS.....

Its a fine & interesting motorcycle! I had a very nice test ride on one.
(could do with a better fairing/screen design)

>BEST ALL ROUND MOTORCYCLE FOR COMMUTING, SCRATCHING
>AND TOURING

I wouldn't go that far & BTW you seem to still have your earplugs in cos
your SHOUTING!

Also it has the worst indicator switch layout!

--
Phil luke (MAG 97236) Rockape #1 Dorset Old Fart FAB#12 BOF#15 RTMiB#??
Portland Dorset 3rd cave from the left! remove <.NOSPAM> to email me!

laboratory2010.freeserve.co.uk

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98

Mervyn wrote in message <724hji$n9s$1...@nclient1-gui.server.virgin.net>...

>Have you tried the R1100S yet? You will want one!!!!!!!!

heheh sounds like a Ducati owner I met today. He'd tested a R1100S a few
weeks ago and has complained ever since about the lack of power in his Duc.

--
Mad Dog Dexter

BMW R1100S

Donald Deasy

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
barry wrote:

> >> The RT makes a far better scratcher due to the seating position & wide
> >> bars.
> >
> >Yeah, the R80RT is the best bike in the whole world.
> This may be true, but it's not in *this* world.

Donalds World, Donalds World, Excellent, Excellent.

Kippis
Donald

Doc Gonz0

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98

This would, presumably, be an owner of the little known Ducati 50SPS?
--
The Doctor.

"It's just a ride" Bill Hicks, RIP.

Andy McClelland

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Windy wrote:

>You have to learn the difference between a real
>apology and someone who's just being bloody
>facetious! ;o)

Which is why, no mater how hard I try[1],
I never get invited into Windy's ori^H^Hffice.

[1] That's right, I am very trying.

John Malpass

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98

Donald Deasy wrote in message <364606EC...@intapp.co.uk>...

You're not worthy.

--
John

john_s...@hotmail.com

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
In article <364e78fa...@news.freeserve.co.uk>,

Not like the scooter that Foggy has then??

Good guess though, but no prizes as yet.

--
JAS

BMW R1100S

Donald Deasy

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98

I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy,
Because I'm easy come, easy go, Little high, little low,
Any way the wind blows doesn't really matter to me, to me

Kippis
Donald

Dan Nitschke

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Donald Deasy wrote:

> I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy,
> Because I'm easy come, easy go, Little high, little low,
> Any way the wind blows doesn't really matter to me, to me

Mama, just killed this man, put a gun [1] against
his head, pulled the trigger, now he's dead...

[1] Usenet Rule #306a.

/* dan: The Anti-Ged -- Scary Git, IY (tm) #1, YJP #1, LCDB (tm) #1 */

Dan Nitschke |==| peDA...@best.com |==| nits...@redbrick.com
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
In this world there are only two tragedies. One is not getting
what one wants, and the other is getting it. - Oscar Wilde

Dan Nitschke

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Philip Luke wrote:

> Also it has the worst indicator switch layout!

It has the layout that makes the most sense.

/* dan: The Anti-Ged -- Scary Git, IY (tm) #1, YJP #1, LCDB (tm) #1 */

Dan Nitschke / peDA...@best.com / el...@redbrick.com
My charade is the event of the season. And if I claim to be
a wise man, it surely means that I don't know. -- Kansas

Dan Nitschke

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Mervyn wrote:

> Have you tried the R1100S yet?

Yes.

> You will want one!!!!!!!!

Perhaps. Perhaps not.

ObPedant: Exclamation points, being solitary
animals, do not travel in herds. One will
suffice.

/* dan: The Anti-Ged -- Scary Git, IY (tm) #1, YJP #1, LCDB (tm) #1 */

Dan Nitschke !! peDA...@best.com !! el...@redbrick.com
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
This life is but a doomed journey of misery and loneliness,
punctuated by moments of suffering, and ending in total
annihilation. -- Zippy the Pinhead

Paul Matthews

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Dan Nitschke wrote:

>> Also it has the worst indicator switch layout!
>
>It has the layout that makes the most sense.

It is surprising that once you get the hang of BMW indicators (does not take
long) you wonder whose stupid idea it was to put everything on one tiny button
on every other bike.
--
Paul Matthews
paul...@triton.u-net.com

laboratory2010.freeserve.co.uk

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98

Paul Matthews wrote in message <364d2434...@news.u-net.com>...

>Dan Nitschke wrote:
>
>>> Also it has the worst indicator switch layout!
>>
>>It has the layout that makes the most sense.
>>
>It is surprising that once you get the hang of BMW indicators (does not
take
>long) you wonder whose stupid idea it was to put everything on one tiny
button
>on every other bike.

Yep, it's much much better, also I find that I'm doing more lfesavers when
using the BMW. It's like look left, push left, look right, push right.
Simple. Also you are 100% sure that you're indicating the right way.

--
Mad Dog Dexter

BMW R1100S - Fat & Black.

Windy

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
On Mon, 9 Nov 1998 10:53:46 GMT, "Andy McClelland"
<mccle...@lls.leica.co.uk> wrote:

>Windy wrote:
>
>>You have to learn the difference between a real
>>apology and someone who's just being bloody
>>facetious! ;o)
>
>Which is why, no mater how hard I try[1],
>I never get invited into Windy's ori^H^Hffice.

There's just never been the right opening.

--
~*~*~*~* " W I N D Y" *~*~*~*~
To Love Life You Have To Live It!
NGG #13 - The Iron(ic) Maiden[tm]

Zephyr 1100 (Mr Al), Z550 (Kevin)
http://www.windfalls.u-net.com
http://www.ziplink.net/~holm/ngg/ngg.html

John Malpass

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98

Dan Nitschke wrote in message <364720...@best.com>...

>Donald Deasy wrote:
>
>> I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy,
>> Because I'm easy come, easy go, Little high, little low,
>> Any way the wind blows doesn't really matter to me, to me
>
>Mama, just killed this man, put a gun [1] against
>his head, pulled the trigger, now he's dead...
>

>[1] Usenet Rule #306a.

I'm getting better.

--
John

John Malpass

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98

Dan Nitschke wrote in message <364720...@best.com>...
>Philip Luke wrote:
>
>> Also it has the worst indicator switch layout!
>
>It has the layout that makes the most sense.

If your head is wired up wrong.

--
John

Dan Nitschke

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
John Malpass wrote:

> Dan Nitschke wrote...

> >Philip Luke wrote:
> >
> >> Also it has the worst indicator switch layout!
> >
> >It has the layout that makes the most sense.
>
> If your head is wired up wrong.

It's a shaft drive, so I suppose "push left, go
left" is a bit confusing.

BTW, my head isn't wired up. It's been upgraded
to fully cellular technology. No wires.

/* dan: The Anti-Ged -- Scary Git, IY (tm) #1, YJP #1, LCDB (tm) #1 */

Dan Nitschke :~: peDA...@best.com :~: nits...@redbrick.com
|\-_|\-_|\-_|\-_|\-_|\-_|\-_|\-_|\-_|\-_|\-_|\-_|\-_|\-_|\-_|\
Scratch! Dressed in red; pointed tail, and a horn-rimmed head.
And a widow's peak like Eddie Munster. -- Steve Taylor

Philip Luke

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
In article <364d2434...@news.u-net.com>, Paul Matthews
<paul...@triton.u-net.com> writes

>It is surprising that once you get the hang of BMW indicators (does not take
>long) you wonder whose stupid idea it was to put everything on one tiny button
>on every other bike.

Try winding the throttle to pull away from a RH turn & cancel the
winkies at the same time. Your RH is busy but your LH does practically
nothing.

Dan Nitschke

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Philip Luke wrote:

> Try winding the throttle to pull away from a RH turn & cancel the
> winkies at the same time.

I do it all the time. No problem. A flick of the
thumb is all it takes.

Now, on a Japanese bike with the indicator switch
on the right...

> Your RH is busy but your LH does practically
> nothing.

I, uh, don't want that much detail on the business
of your hands, if you don't mind.

/* dan: The Anti-Ged -- Scary Git, IY (tm) #1, YJP #1, LCDB (tm) #1 */

dan nitschke --- peda...@best.com --- el...@redbrick.com
and it's 1,2,3,4 what are we diving for? * no guru * no mother * no
method * no smile * nice style * bad form * is the body still warm?
-- steve taylor, 'the moshing floor' (whatever, whatever)

Bastard Bear

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Windy wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Nov 1998 10:53:46 GMT, "Andy McClelland"
> <mccle...@lls.leica.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Windy wrote:
> >
> >>You have to learn the difference between a real
> >>apology and someone who's just being bloody
> >>facetious! ;o)
> >
> >Which is why, no mater how hard I try[1],
> >I never get invited into Windy's ori^H^Hffice.
>
> There's just never been the right opening.

Ah! *That's* why they call it SOHO (hohoho [1])

[1] Well, it is *nearly* crimble time
--
Regards,
Bastard Bear

Neil Murray

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Bastard Bear <joh...@globalnet.loadsabeers.co.uk> wrote:

<snip>

> [1] Well, it is *nearly* crimble time

Jeez, don't remind me.

<sentimental bit>

Jamie's belief in Santa is wavering. Helen's is still firm. Last year
she worked out that it would be quicker, easier and more productive
than writing a letter if she simply ticked everything she wanted in the
Gamley's catalogue and posted that. We had to explain that FC demands
*letters* and only brings *one* present.(1)

Did you know that the Post Office replies to every Dear Santa letter, as
long as there's a return address on the letter? You get a printed card
telling you that your request is being processed and will be delivered
if you're good. Someone, somewhere in the PO has a heart. Somehow I
can't imagine it happening in the States.

Helen caused real problems a couple of years ago when Santa (aka me) had
already bought one of this huge FOAD Georgian style doll's houses that
you have to assemble and paint etc. She wanted some pink plastic
confection from Gamleys called, IKYN, Goo-Goo Land. A friend mailed a
reply from Santa saying she was going to get a doll's house because
Santa thought it more appropriate. Anyway, it took a week to build and
paint the thing, and it all had to be done after 9pm when the kids were
asleep, and then carted next door so they wouldn't find it. Santa
finished it at 12.15am on Christmas Day and had a large slug of Scotch
to celebrate. A shriek like a steam whistle on Christmas Day, when she
found it under the tree, signalled that Santa had definitely got it
right. She was so excited that she wet herself....

Kids, eh? Somehow it won't be quite the same once they've rumbled the
whole whole Santa Claus thing...

</sentimental bit>

--
Neil B120 750S S GT750 CB400F CD175
The Older Gentleman

Antony Espindola

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Neil Murray wrote:

> <sentimental bit>
[snip]

Oh Neil. <sniff> How proud you must feel. That was loverly. <sniff>

As I have no children myself, I usually bait my sister's instead.
I find that drums and waterpistols are the weapons of choice or
toys that make high-pitched screaming noise *very* loudly. :-)

--
Antony. Far Up! Far Out! Far More!
RVF400RR :-) Nobody Does it Better

Andy McClelland

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Neil Murray wrote:

[snipped nice little story of father's love and child's excitement]

This was a nice little tale once I had cleared my mind of the image
of an inebriated Mr Murray building a doll's house from remaindered
bike spares.

Neil Murray

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Antony Espindola <Ant...@Netscape.net> wrote:

> Neil Murray wrote:
> >
> > <sentimental bit>
> [snip]
>
> Oh Neil. <sniff> How proud you must feel. That was loverly. <sniff>
>
> As I have no children myself, I usually bait my sister's instead.
> I find that drums and waterpistols are the weapons of choice or
> toys that make high-pitched screaming noise *very* loudly. :-)

I do this with my nieces and nephews. Tin drums are brill.

My favourite was a repeating rubber band gun I gave to one of my
sister's kids. That got confiscated by 1030am on Xmas morning.

Result!

Antony Espindola

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Neil Murray wrote:

> My favourite was a repeating rubber band gun I gave to one of my
> sister's kids. That got confiscated by 1030am on Xmas morning.

One of the nephews is into his action figures and the like,
especially Spiderman (which was partly my fault :-) but he saw
an advert on the TV where you can buy a wrist thingy that shoots
webs just like Spidey's. It works with one of those cans of silly
string (i.e. nice and messy) so you can easily get refills.
He originally asked for one for his birthday way back in July but
was refused and all relatives were banned from buying it for
obvious reasons.
Little does my sister know that last month I spotted a large
stack in a local shop all marked down to half price ;-}

Mike Gleavy

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
In article <1di9uyf.tja...@host5-99-43-222.btinternet.com>, Neil
Murray <neil.an...@btinternet.com> writes

<snip sentimental bit about father Christmas>

Yes, Rachel (at 8) won't be believing in FC for much longer I think.
She started to ask about buying presents for Sarah and me. Nick (at 3)
hasn't quite worked out what or who FC is but has cottoned onto the fact
that it means presents for him.

But why, oh why, no matter what you buy him, does he prefer to play with
the box it came in? OTOH, it could be a very cheap Christmas <g>
--
Mike Gleavy

You must look out in Britain that you are not cheated by the charioteers

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 - 43 BC)
For info about sidecars see:
http://www.sidecars.demon.co.uk

Mike Gleavy

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
In article <7279lj$rd$1...@newsreader2.core.theplanet.net>,
laboratory2010.freeserve.co.uk <DeeDee@Noooooooo!!!!!.com> writes

>Yep, it's much much better, also I find that I'm doing more lfesavers when
>using the BMW. It's like look left, push left, look right, push right.
>Simple. Also you are 100% sure that you're indicating the right way.

I used to like the indicator switch on my old R100S. it moved up and
down which, if you think about it, is the logical way for your thumb to
move i.e in an arc not sideways.

Bastard Bear

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Neil Murray wrote:

> Bastard Bear <joh...@globalnet.loadsabeers.co.uk> wrote:
>
> <snip>

SANTA SNIP

With kids, they do say the first 35 years are the worst :-)

(Not that I'd know - I don't mind practising the conception bit, but the
having of them you can keep, thank you)

P.S. Neil, you are *such* a softy :-)

Bastard Bear

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98

Oh good. It wasn't just me that thought this, then :-)

"And here's where Daddy put the bathroom, and here's where Daddy put
the kitchen; see the little pots and pans?"
"Yes, Daddy! It's super" [1]
"Daddy"
"Yes, darling."
"What's this bit?"
"Er ... that's the minibar"
"It's jolly big" [1]
"Yes, I've based it on daddy's own"
"Are those real miniatures?"
"Yes ... just in case Daddy gets ... er ... thirsty one night"

[1] All right, so I watch too much "Comic Strip Presents ..."

Paul Matthews

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Mike Gleavy wrote:

>But why, oh why, no matter what you buy him, does he prefer to play with
>the box it came in? OTOH, it could be a very cheap Christmas <g>

This could make for an excellent christmas, buy yourself the toys you want, and
let the kids have the boxes.

Jack

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Antony Espindola <Ant...@Netscape.net> said:

>As I have no children myself, I usually bait my sister's instead.
>I find that drums and waterpistols are the weapons of choice or
>toys that make high-pitched screaming noise *very* loudly. :-)

When I was 12 I had a cage full of white mice. My mother told me in
no uncertain terms to get rid of them or she'd feed them to the cat.
My best friend was having a birthday party, so I wrapped the cage and
all and gave it to him. He absolutely loved them. His mother was
moved, as well. ;-)

--
Road Dog
Just *do* it.

Andy McClelland

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Paul Matthews wrote:

>Mike Gleavy wrote:
>
>>But why, oh why, no matter what you buy him, does he prefer to play
>>with the box it came in? OTOH, it could be a very cheap Christmas <g>
>This could make for an excellent christmas, buy yourself the toys you
>want, and let the kids have the boxes.

An imaginative child could have endless fun with a bike transit crate.
Do not let the washer-upper in your life fool you into believing that
a dishwasher packing case would be better; you owe it to your kids to
provide the best possible toys to feed their imagination and creativity.

I expect that Neil's kids have had a lot of fun with wine cases. One
could build great castles with those kinds of numbers of sturdy boxes.

Mike Gleavy

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
In article <F27K6z.FL...@leica.co.uk>, Andy McClelland
<mccle...@lls.leica.co.uk> writes

>Paul Matthews wrote:
>
>>Mike Gleavy wrote:
>>
>>>But why, oh why, no matter what you buy him, does he prefer to play
>>>with the box it came in? OTOH, it could be a very cheap Christmas <g>
>>This could make for an excellent christmas, buy yourself the toys you
>>want, and let the kids have the boxes.
>
>An imaginative child could have endless fun with a bike transit crate.
>Do not let the washer-upper in your life fool you into believing that
^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's I.

>a dishwasher packing case would be better; you owe it to your kids to
^^^^^^^^^^
When we bought our house this summer, the people before offered to
leave their dishwasher if we gave them a small sum of money. We didn't
like to tell them that we would have given them a *large* sum of money
to leave it behind.

>provide the best possible toys to feed their imagination and creativity.
>
>I expect that Neil's kids have had a lot of fun with wine cases. One
>could build great castles with those kinds of numbers of sturdy boxes.

You can provided you don't do what I did one night when I was working in
a pub. I very cleverly left the tap running in the sink with the plug
in. Needless to say the sink overflowed, running into the hall where
half a dozen wine boxes were sitting waiting to go down to the cellar.

I managed to get all the water cleared up before the landlord came back
from his evening out and thought I'd got away with it. Until the next
night that is, when he asked me to help carry the wine down to the
cellar. We both picked up a box of wine, which was followed seconds
later by the sounds of 24 bottles hitting the floor, of which 23 broke.
So not only did I have to clean the floor again, he found out what I had
done the night before and I had to pay for twenty-four bottles of wine
which I hadn't even drunk. <sigh>

It was twenty years ago and I can still remember, vividly, the
expression on his face as he stood there holding a box within no bottom
whilst up to the top of his shoes in wine.

Bastard Bear

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Don't read this, Neil, it's too traumatic for you!!

Mike Gleavy wrote:

SNIP, CRASH, BIG BILL

> It was twenty years ago and I can still remember, vividly, the
> expression on his face as he stood there holding a box within no bottom
> whilst up to the top of his shoes in wine.

Aaaarrggghhhh!!
Too late! He's gone into toxic shock ...

Neil Murray

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Bastard Bear <joh...@globalnet.loadsabeers.co.uk> wrote:

> Neil Murray wrote:
> >
> > Bastard Bear <joh...@globalnet.loadsabeers.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> > >
> SANTA SNIP
>
> With kids, they do say the first 35 years are the worst :-)
>
> (Not that I'd know - I don't mind practising the conception bit, but the
> having of them you can keep, thank you)
>
> P.S. Neil, you are *such* a softy :-)

I know. My parents should have christened me Walter.

The odd thing is that I can't remember when I stopped believing in
Father Christmas. Somewhere about seven or eight, I suppose.

(You'll be telling me there isn't an Easter Bunny next).

Alan W. Frame

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Doc Gonz0 <DocG...@TheClinic.Freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

[]
> This would, presumably, be an owner of the little known Ducati 50SPS?

Hmm,

Cucciolo.

HTH, Alan
--
95 Ducati 600SS, 85 Guzzi V65TT, 74 MV Agusta 350 SI # 3.386
"Ride to Work, Work to Ride" DoD#1930

Mike Hibbert

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Bastard Bear wrote in message
<3648A071...@globalnet.loadsabeers.co.uk>...

>Andy McClelland wrote:
>>
>> Neil Murray wrote:
>>
>> [snipped nice little story of father's love and child's excitement]
>>
>> This was a nice little tale once I had cleared my mind of the image
>> of an inebriated Mr Murray building a doll's house from remaindered
>> bike spares.
>
>Oh good. It wasn't just me that thought this, then :-)
>
>"And here's where Daddy put the bathroom, and here's where Daddy put
>the kitchen; see the little pots and pans?"
>"Yes, Daddy! It's super" [1]
>"Daddy"
>"Yes, darling."
>"What's this bit?"
>"Er ... that's the minibar"
>"It's jolly big" [1]
>"Yes, I've based it on daddy's own"
>"Are those real miniatures?"
>"Yes ... just in case Daddy gets ... er ... thirsty one night"

Cheers Bear, I enjoyed that!
--
Mike Hibbert
GSX600F
Gloucester
(remove 'mypants' before replying to me)

Mike Hibbert

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Mike Gleavy wrote in message ...

>In article <1di9uyf.tja...@host5-99-43-222.btinternet.com>, Neil
>Murray <neil.an...@btinternet.com> writes
>
><snip sentimental bit about father Christmas>
>
>Yes, Rachel (at 8) won't be believing in FC for much longer I think.

I can't believe how cruel you lot can be! Jamie W is still reading this NG
and he will be sooooo upset when he hears FC is not real,

Mick Whittingham

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
In article <1diahjm.t23...@host5-99-45-211.btinternet.com>, Neil
Murray <neil.an...@btinternet.com> writes

>Bastard Bear <joh...@globalnet.loadsabeers.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Neil Murray wrote:
>> >
>> > Bastard Bear <joh...@globalnet.loadsabeers.co.uk> wrote:
>> >
>> > <snip>
>> > >
>> SANTA SNIP
>>
>> With kids, they do say the first 35 years are the worst :-)
>>
>> (Not that I'd know - I don't mind practising the conception bit, but the
>> having of them you can keep, thank you)
>>
>> P.S. Neil, you are *such* a softy :-)
>
>I know. My parents should have christened me Walter.
>
>The odd thing is that I can't remember when I stopped believing in
>Father Christmas. Somewhere about seven or eight, I suppose.
>
>(You'll be telling me there isn't an Easter Bunny next).

When my lad had started primary school he came home just before
one Christmas with the "I don't believe in Father Christmas, it's really
your own dad dressed up."

So come Christmas day, the kids had had some of their presents at the
foot of their beds etc. But come 10oc in the morning there was a lot of
skidding noises and a lot of animal noises (all pre recorded) and this
Father Christmas (Absolute full regalia) standing at the front door
(Good old friend Philip.) next to a ladder leading up to the roof.

My lad opens the door (lots of deer noises still coming from tape
recorder.) "Don't mind if I park my slay on the roof" says Philip in a
very deep voice. "Bit late with deliveries around here, fog you
understand" In he comes, big sack of presents emptied out. Son and
daughter with mouths wide open. Phil then climbs up ladder with the "if
you look out the back you'll see me leave" That gave him time get down
the ladder and run round the corner.

Even today my lad says that was the best Christmas ever.

--
Mick Whittingham
'and I will make it a felony to drink small beer.'

goth...@usa.net

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Mike Gleavy wrote:

> 24 bottles hitting the floor, of which 23 broke.
<snip>

> I had to pay for twenty-four bottles of wine

He ripped you off by one bottle!

Love,

Jayne.
--
Z650 (Mr.Z), GSX600F GBC#1, MAG, WIMA
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Dunes/9960/

Dan Nitschke

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Mike Hibbert wrote:

> I can't believe how cruel you lot can be! Jamie W is still reading this NG
> and he will be sooooo upset when he hears FC is not real,

What's so unreal about 252?

/* dan: The Anti-Ged -- Scary Git, IY (tm) #1, YJP #1, LCDB (tm) #1 */

Dan Nitschke ?? peDA...@best.com ?? nits...@redbrick.com
-+/*-+/*-+/*-+/*-+/*-+/*-+/*-+/*-+/*-+/*-+/*-+/*-+/*-+/*-+/*-+
Dividing and multiplying; exchanging with ease. When times are
mysterious, serious numbers are eager to please. -- Paul Simon

Martin Sheil

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
Neil Murray wrote:

> The odd thing is that I can't remember when I stopped believing in
> Father Christmas. Somewhere about seven or eight, I suppose.
>
> (You'll be telling me there isn't an Easter Bunny next).

For some reason everyone around here has started believing in the Gasket
Goblin. :-)

Martin
UKMC

Nighthawk MCC

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
In article <3648D7...@best.com>, Dan Nitschke <peDA...@best.com>
writes

>Mike Hibbert wrote:
>
>> I can't believe how cruel you lot can be! Jamie W is still reading this NG
>> and he will be sooooo upset when he hears FC is not real,
>
>What's so unreal about 252?

There's always one isn't there........ I'm going to put a HEX on you!!!!
;o)
Badvoc I'm leaving 20/11/98 BYE! ... BUT I'LL BE BACK!!!
--
MICHAEL 'BADVOC' STUART Bad...@cifheo1b.demon.co.uk
NIGHTHAWK MCC Nighth...@writeme.com
NORTHERN IRELAND SOBR#1 Bad...@Mindless.com

http://members.xoom.com/NighthawkMCC/index.htm - Oh it's almost ready...

Bastard Bear

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98

Mr Spanky, The Gasket Goo?

Andy McClelland

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
Martin Sheil wrote:

>For some reason everyone around here has started believing in the Gasket
>Goblin. :-)

... and the West-country Witch.

Andy the Anglian A***hole.

Philip Luke

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
In article <36477C...@best.com>, Dan Nitschke <peDA...@best.com>
writes
>Now, on a Japanese bike with the indicator switch
>on the right.

I don't know any with winkie switch on the right! But there again me
experiance only goes back to 1971!

Yamaha indicator switch gear is brill especially the 'self canceling
stuff from the early '80's!

Modern Yamaha is mostly 'left thum nudge in direction of travel & stab
middle to cancel' stuff.
--
Phil luke (MAG 97236) Rockape #1 Dorset Old Fart FAB#12 BOF#15 RTMiB#??
Portland Dorset 3rd cave from the left! remove <.NOSPAM> to email me!
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion & TRX850 <http://www.lukep.demon.co.uk/>
'Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast'!

Dan Nitschke

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
Nighthawk MCC wrote:

> Dan Nitschke <peDA...@best.com> writes
>
> >Mike Hibbert wrote:
> >
> >> Jamie W is still reading this NG
> >> and he will be sooooo upset when he hears FC is not real,
> >
> >What's so unreal about 252?
> >
> There's always one isn't there........

But is that one in decimal, or base sixteen?

> I'm going to put a HEX on you!!!!

BAD CAD, BABE. BE DEAD, ACE.

/* dan: The Anti-Ged -- Scary Git, IY (tm) #1, YJP #1, LCDB (tm) #1 */

Dan Nitschke == peDA...@best.com == el...@redbrick.com
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
If you don't believe in the power of the waffle, let me
show you just what I mean! -- Weird Al, "Waffle King"

Mike Hibbert

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
Dan Nitschke wrote in message <3648D7...@best.com>...
>Mike Hibbert wrote:
>
>> I can't believe how cruel you lot can be! Jamie W is still reading this

NG
>> and he will be sooooo upset when he hears FC is not real,
>
>What's so unreal about 252?

Stop it Dan, you're scaring me :o)

Dan Nitschke

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
Mike Hibbert wrote:

> Dan Nitschke wrote...

> >Mike Hibbert wrote:
> >
> >> Jamie W is still reading thisNG
> >> and he will be sooooo upset when he hears FC is not real,
> >
> >What's so unreal about 252?
> >
> Stop it Dan, you're scaring me :o)

Would it scare you worse if I told you I knew
that FF was 255, and did the counting back in my
head on the fly as I typed?

Thought so.

[Dumb tangentially-related story: A few years
ago [1] I heard a radio commercial for the TV
show "Married, With Rabie^H^H^H^H^HChildren."
One of the jokes was: "What's your favorite
number?" "C."

My thought was: "But C's a language, not a num...
oh, yes, it is... oh, I bet they intended that
to be funny."]

[1] I was still *thinking* about buying a Harley (tm)
in a year or so.

/* dan: The Anti-Ged -- Scary Git, IY (tm) #1, YJP #1, LCDB (tm) #1 */

Dan Nitschke * peDA...@best.com * el...@redbrick.com
0=[0=[0=[0=[0=[0=[0=[0=[0=[0=[0=[0=[0=[0=[0=[0=[0=[0=
You lock the door and throw away the key; there's
someone in my head but it's not me. -- Pink Floyd

Doc Gonz0

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 10:17:56 -0800, Bastard Bear
<joh...@globalnet.loadsabeers.co.uk> wrote:

>Martin Sheil wrote:
>>
>> Neil Murray wrote:
>> >
>> > The odd thing is that I can't remember when I stopped believing in
>> > Father Christmas. Somewhere about seven or eight, I suppose.
>> >
>> > (You'll be telling me there isn't an Easter Bunny next).
>>

>> For some reason everyone around here has started believing in the Gasket
>> Goblin. :-)
>>

>Mr Spanky, The Gasket Goo?

Aha, a fellow follower of the ways of the South Park. Somehow I *knew*
it would be you, BB.
Now I've managed to make uk.sport.football an unofficial SP group,
shall we have a crack at this lot?
--
The Doctor.

Welcome to reality, Bubba. I told you it was wrong.

Nighthawk MCC

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
In article <364e6234...@news.freeserve.co.uk>, Doc Gonz0 <DocGonz0@
TheClinic.Freeserve.co.uk> writes

_ __________ _,
_.-(_)._ ." ". .--""--. _.-{__}-._
.'________'. | .--------. | .' '. .:-'`____`'-:.
[____________] /` |________| `\ / .'``'. \ /_.-"`_ _`"-._\
/ / .\/. \ \| / / .\/. \ \ || .'/.\/.\'. | /` / .\/. \ `\
| \__/\__/ |\_/ \__/\__/ \_/| : |_/\_| ; | | \__/\__/ |
\ / \ / \ '.\ /.' / .-\ /-.
/'._ -- _.'\ /'._ -- _.'\ /'. `'--'` .'\/ '._-.__--__.-_.'
\
/_ `""""` _\/_ `""""` _\ /_ `-./\.-' _\'. `""""""""`
.'`\
(__/ '| \ _)_| |_)_/ \__)| ' |

|_____'|_____| \__________/ |
|;`_________'________`;-'
'----------' '----------' '--------------'`--------------------`

Dr Ivan D Reid, muSR Facility

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
In article <3649D6...@best.com>, Dan Nitschke wrote:
>Nighthawk MCC wrote:

>> Dan Nitschke <peDA...@best.com> writes

>> >What's so unreal about 252?

>> There's always one isn't there........

>But is that one in decimal, or base sixteen?

>> I'm going to put a HEX on you!!!!

>BAD CAD, BABE. BE DEAD, ACE.

<GED>
You're DEADBEEF, you are!
</GED>

--
Ivan Reid, Paul Scherrer Institute, CH. http://musr0.psi.ch/ re...@psi.ch
GSX600F, RG250WD. SI=2.66 "You Porsche. Me pass!" DoD #484

Alan W. Frame

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
Dan Nitschke <peDA...@best.com> wrote:

> Nighthawk MCC wrote:
[]

> > I'm going to put a HEX on you!!!!
>
> BAD CAD, BABE. BE DEAD, ACE.

-21524111

Andy McClelland

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
Dan Nitschke wrote:

>Nighthawk MCC wrote:
>
>> I'm going to put a HEX on you!!!!
>
>BAD CAD, BABE. BE DEAD, ACE.

Does anyone remember the food processor ad on tv back in the
eighties, with a 'Frenchman' explaining how simply it worked?
Well, at that time I was working for a well known manufacturer
of submarines, and was testing the communications with a french
sonar set. The froggy engineers had come over for the trials
and were set up on the other side of the lab. As an initial
test I sent over three 16-bit words, and asked them to call them
out to me. They couldn't understand the roar of laughter from
the guys in the lab when one of them called out ,in a heavy french
accent: "Ah, you 'ave sent to me :'Biff, baff, boff'."
I explained the joke to them over un 'CAFE'.

Yeah, it's the labcoat with the pocket full of pens.

Mike Hibbert

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
Dan Nitschke wrote in message <364A1A...@best.com>...

>Mike Hibbert wrote:
>>
>> Dan Nitschke wrote...

>> >What's so unreal about 252?
>> >
>> Stop it Dan, you're scaring me :o)
>
>Would it scare you worse if I told you I knew
>that FF was 255, and did the counting back in my
>head on the fly as I typed?

More than you could imagine! I thought I was the only one who actually
enjoyed reading dumps.

Andy McClelland

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
Mike Hibbert wrote:

>I thought I was the only one who actually
>enjoyed reading dumps.

The Dutch and the Germans seem to enjoy this too,
they even design their loos to make the task easier.

Mick Whittingham

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
In article <F2Cq7K.35...@leica.co.uk>, Andy McClelland
<mccle...@lls.leica.co.uk> writes
When I was working in Germany the Brits refered to them as
'sh*t shelves'.

Andy McClelland

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
Simon Atkinson wrote:

>Mike Gleavy said in <wuwSFVAj...@sidecars.demon.co.uk>:
>
>>I used to like the indicator switch on my old R100S. it moved up and
>>down which, if you think about it, is the logical way for your thumb
>>to move i.e in an arc not sideways.
>
>Although some of the more fortunate among us have a joint halfway down
>our thumb to make this operation simple.

You must one of the elite few in this ng with an opposable thumb.

Mike Gleavy

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
In article <F2Cq7K.35...@leica.co.uk>, Andy McClelland
<mccle...@lls.leica.co.uk> writes
>Mike Hibbert wrote:
>
>>I thought I was the only one who actually
>>enjoyed reading dumps.
>
>The Dutch and the Germans seem to enjoy this too,
>they even design their loos to make the task easier.

LOL!
--
Mike Gleavy

You must look out in Britain that you are not cheated by the charioteers

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 - 43 BC)
For info about sidecars see:
http://www.sidecars.demon.co.uk

Bastard Bear

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
Doc Gonz0 wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 10:17:56 -0800, Bastard Bear
> <joh...@globalnet.loadsabeers.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Martin Sheil wrote:

> >> For some reason everyone around here has started believing in the Gasket
> >> Goblin. :-)
> >>

> >Mr Spanky, The Gasket Goo?
>
> Aha, a fellow follower of the ways of the South Park. Somehow I *knew*
> it would be you, BB.
> Now I've managed to make uk.sport.football an unofficial SP group,
> shall we have a crack at this lot?

Follow you dreams.
You can reach your goals.
I'm living proof.
Beefcake! BEEFCAKE!!

--
Regards,
Bastard Bear
Remove "loadsabeers" for reply.
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Bears

"It's all a bunch of tree hugging hippy crap".

Trevor Dennis

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
Simon Atkinson said

>Although some of the more fortunate among us have a joint halfway down
>our thumb to make this operation simple.

So you need to be built like a hippo to ride a BMW.

Just proves our point matey.

--
Trevor Dennis /`\ .(o~)-(o~). /`\ tre...@tdennnis.demon.co.uk
The Polite Brit / , \( _______ )/ , \ tden...@ford.com

Mike Fleming

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
DocG...@TheClinic.Freeserve.co.uk (Doc Gonz0) writes:

> On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 10:17:56 -0800, Bastard Bear
> <joh...@globalnet.loadsabeers.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Mr Spanky, The Gasket Goo?
>
> Aha, a fellow follower of the ways of the South Park. Somehow I *knew*
> it would be you, BB.
> Now I've managed to make uk.sport.football an unofficial SP group,
> shall we have a crack at this lot?

I've worked out the guitar part for the theme music if that helps. Top
three strings, TAB:

O 5
4 4
3 3

Lovely^W kewl, d00d.

--
Mike (DF) Fleming MAG #79794 DoD #4446 OT #3 UKMC #9 FAB #10
GAGARPHOF #6 JKLO #004 KotWP7 RotRotRotKotL

sai...@wenet.net

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
In article <3CIhLDAg...@funduro.demon.co.uk>,
Ian George <i...@funduro.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <3644AFA6...@intapp.co.uk>, Donald Deasy
> <donald...@intapp.co.uk> writes
> >Ian George wrote:
> >>
> >> In article <3641B936...@omnigraphics.co.za>, David Shaw
> >> <ds...@omnigraphics.co.za> writes
> >> IT NEEDS POWER STEERING FOR SCRATCHING
> >>
> >> I felt I had to shout back. Sorry.
> >>
> >> The RT makes a far better scratcher due to the seating position & wide
> >> bars.
> >
> >Yeah, the R80RT is the best bike in the whole world.
>
> I meant the R1100RT! Mind you, now you come to mention it...
> --
> Ian George
>
> R80RT, Funduro.
> www.funduro.demon.co.uk

Ian:

Do you mean this? (About the R11RT, that is...) I've ridden an '87 R80RT for
3.5 years, now, and I'd love to get more power, better suspension, better
handling, and better fairing coverage (around jugs, esp.), but the R11RT is
SO much heavier (wet weights, US units: ~500 lbs vs roughly 650-675 lbs,
IIRC). Could you describe how the 2 models compare to one another? (I take
it that you own an R80RT but have some experience with the R11RT.)

TIA,
-Sean Streiff

Dan Nitschke

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
sai...@wenet.net wrote:

> I've ridden an '87 R80RT for
> 3.5 years, now, and I'd love to get more power, better suspension, better
> handling, and better fairing coverage (around jugs, esp.), but the R11RT is
> SO much heavier (wet weights, US units: ~500 lbs vs roughly 650-675 lbs,
> IIRC). Could you describe how the 2 models compare to one another? (I take
> it that you own an R80RT but have some experience with the R11RT.)

I can't do a comparison of the two, not having ridden
the R80RT, but I can tell you from more than two years
of first-hand experience that the R1100RT [1] will hide
its weight *extremely* well, and the fairing is great.
It's suspension is extremely good, and the brakes (dual
Brembos up front, single rear, with ABS) are outstanding.
It doesn't ride like a tourer at all, but it has gobs
of storage space.

BTW, the dry weight of the R1100RT is ~560 lbs., and it
has a 7 (US) gallon gas tank, which gives it around a
300-mile touring range.

Ask the man who owned one. [2]

[1] Mine was the semi-legendary Little Hans.
[2] Anyone recognize that as a paraphrase of an old
carmaker's slogan?

/* dan: The Anti-Ged -- Scary Git, IY (tm) #1, YJP #1, LCDB (tm) #1 */

Dan Nitschke |__| peDA...@best.com |__| nits...@redbrick.com
-==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==-
Out on the road today, I saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac. A
little voice inside my head said "Don't look back. You can never
look back." -- Don Henley, 'The Boys of Summer'

Ian George

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
In article <7301vd$ar5$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, sai...@wenet.net writes

>> I meant the R1100RT! Mind you, now you come to mention it...

>Do you mean this? (About the R11RT, that is...) I've ridden an '87 R80RT for

>3.5 years, now, and I'd love to get more power, better suspension, better
>handling, and better fairing coverage (around jugs, esp.), but the R11RT is
>SO much heavier (wet weights, US units: ~500 lbs vs roughly 650-675 lbs,
>IIRC). Could you describe how the 2 models compare to one another? (I take
>it that you own an R80RT but have some experience with the R11RT.)

I have had my R80RT for 9 years and have insisted on riding it 'briskly'
for that time. But time moves on & although the R80RT has not got worse,
the rest of the biking world has got better

The R11 doesn't wobble, weave or white-line like the R80 does. It
basically feels more stable and more planted on the road.

Yes it is heavier, but it seems to hide it (in the way the K bikes do
not). It can be a bit daunting when stationary, but as soon as the
clutch goes out it's no problem at all.

On the negative side, the R11 needs to be going much faster before it
feels quick. Where you can feel that you are really shifting on the R80
at 70-80mph on backroads, the R11 needs 90-110 to feel as fast.

Neil Murray

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
Ian George <i...@funduro.demon.co.uk> wrote:

Worst thing about the R80 is that given the performance, it's amazingly
fuel-inefficient...

--
Neil Jawa Combo 750S S GT750 CB400F CD175
The Older Gentleman
BOF #30 GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1
Rambling free

Ian George

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
In article <1dit2ya.38...@host5-99-51-41.btinternet.com>, Neil
Murray <neil.an...@btinternet.com> writes

>Worst thing about the R80 is that given the performance, it's amazingly
>fuel-inefficient...

Given the weather protection I don't care!

Let the abuse begin.

Dan Nitschke

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98
John Malpass wrote:

> Okelydokely.

Ned? Ned Flanders, is that you?

> If you want weather protection buy a fucking sierra.

I thought those were made by *Ford*.

> Happy?

Sneezy? Bashful? Doc? Sleepy? Gropey? Dumpy?

/* dan: The Anti-Ged -- Scary Git, IY (tm) #1, YJP #1, LCDB (tm) #1 */

Dan Nitschke ^**^ peDA...@best.com ^**^ nits...@redbrick.com
Planet Earth is blue, and there's nothing I can do. -- David Bowie

John Malpass

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98
i...@funduro.demon.co.uk wibbled...

> In article <1dit2ya.38...@host5-99-51-41.btinternet.com>, Neil
> Murray <neil.an...@btinternet.com> writes
>
> >Worst thing about the R80 is that given the performance, it's amazingly
> >fuel-inefficient...
>
> Given the weather protection I don't care!
>
> Let the abuse begin.

Okelydokely. If you want weather protection buy a fucking sierra. Happy?

--
Name Motorbike
Where I Live

Ian George

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98
In article <MPG.10c189a6a...@news.globalnet.co.uk>, John
Malpass <jmal...@globalnet.co.uk> writes

>> Given the weather protection I don't care!
>>
>> Let the abuse begin.
>>

>Okelydokely. If you want weather protection buy a fucking sierra. Happy?

I expect better than that! With that sort of reply you should expect a
telling off from Windy ;-)

Windy

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98
On Sun, 22 Nov 1998 08:39:01 +0000, Ian George
<i...@funduro.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I expect better than that! With that sort of reply you should expect a
>telling off from Windy ;-)

I prefer to call them "chastisements" or (in the
more severe cases) "castrations".

HTH

--
~*~*~*~* " W I N D Y" *~*~*~*~
To Love Life You Have To Live It!
NGG #13 - The Iron(ic) Maiden[tm]
Zephyr 1100 (Mr Al), Z550 (Kevin)
http://www.windfalls.u-net.com
http://www.ziplink.net/~holm/ngg/ngg.html

Antony Espindola

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98
Windy wrote:

> I prefer to call them "chastisements" or (in the
> more severe cases) "castrations".
_____________________^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's Floyd's department innit?

--
Antony. Far Up! Far Out! Far More!
RVF400RR :-) Nobody Does it Better
I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins
-----------> http://www.Horrible.Demon.co.uk/ <-----------

John Malpass

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
i...@funduro.demon.co.uk wibbled...

> In article <MPG.10c189a6a...@news.globalnet.co.uk>, John
> Malpass <jmal...@globalnet.co.uk> writes
>
> >> Given the weather protection I don't care!
> >>
> >> Let the abuse begin.
> >>
> >Okelydokely. If you want weather protection buy a fucking sierra. Happy?
>
> I expect better than that!

How about:

A Funduro AND an R80, that's twice as stupid as any man (or woman) has a
right to be.

> With that sort of reply you should expect a telling off from Windy ;-)

Expect? I demand.

--
John *Johnno* Malpass
On a finely honed Mille GT

Windy

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
On Mon, 23 Nov 1998 03:36:10 -0000,
jmal...@globalnet.co.uk (John Malpass) wrote:

>Expect? I demand.

Don't you stamp your foot at me, Malpass!

Andy McClelland

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
Windy wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Nov 1998 08:39:01 +0000, Ian George
><i...@funduro.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>I expect better than that! With that sort of reply you should expect a

>>telling off from Windy ;-)
>

>I prefer to call them "chastisements" or (in the
>more severe cases) "castrations".

It is no wonder that I instinctively cross
my legs before opening any of Windy's posts.

John Malpass

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
s...@windfalls.u-net.com wibbled...

> On Mon, 23 Nov 1998 03:36:10 -0000,
> jmal...@globalnet.co.uk (John Malpass) wrote:
>

> >Expect? I demand.
>
> Don't you stamp your foot at me, Malpass!

In that case I'll bite my thumb.

Ian George

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
In article <MPG.10c2d4598...@news.globalnet.co.uk>, John
Malpass <jmal...@globalnet.co.uk> writes

>How about:
>
>A Funduro AND an R80, that's twice as stupid as any man (or woman) has a
>right to be.

A little bit better. I suppose if that's the best you can do it'll have
to be OK ;-)

>> With that sort of reply you should expect a telling off from Windy ;-)
>>

>Expect? I demand.

Brave lad!

seans...@my-dejanews.com

Nov 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/29/98
In article <qYlpoBAq...@funduro.demon.co.uk>,
Ian George <i...@funduro.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <7301vd$ar5$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, Sean <sai...@wenet.net> writes

> >> I meant the R1100RT! Mind you, now you come to mention it...
>
> >Do you mean this? (About the R11RT, that is...) I've ridden an '87 R80RT for
> >3.5 years, now, and I'd love to get more power, better suspension, better
> >handling, and better fairing coverage (around jugs, esp.), but the R11RT is
> >SO much heavier (wet weights, US units: ~500 lbs vs roughly 650-675 lbs,
> >IIRC). Could you describe how the 2 models compare to one another? (I take
> >it that you own an R80RT but have some experience with the R11RT.)
>
> I have had my R80RT for 9 years and have insisted on riding it 'briskly'
> for that time. But time moves on & although the R80RT has not got worse,
> the rest of the biking world has got better
>
> The R11 doesn't wobble, weave or white-line like the R80 does. It
> basically feels more stable and more planted on the road.
>
> Yes it is heavier, but it seems to hide it (in the way the K bikes do
> not). It can be a bit daunting when stationary, but as soon as the
> clutch goes out it's no problem at all.
>
> On the negative side, the R11 needs to be going much faster before it
> feels quick. Where you can feel that you are really shifting on the R80
> at 70-80mph on backroads, the R11 needs 90-110 to feel as fast.
>
> --
> Ian George
>
> R80RT, Funduro.
> www.funduro.demon.co.uk

I've been away for a bit, but thanks very much for your reply -- the fact
that you speak so highly of the RllRT after having ridden an R80RT for 9
years means alot to me. I, too, insist on riding briskly, and alot of my
brisk riding is around town: I don't ride like a maniac, but I do take
corners a bit aggressively, when and where that's safe and appropriate. I
would not describe myself as an *especially* skilled rider, but I do feel
constrained by the poor suspension more than anything else, and I'd hate to
get an expensive bike that improves (dramatically, I expect!) in that
department while simultaneously impeding my riding style with shear mass.

I've only spoken to one RllRT owner face-to-face, and he said essentially
what you have about the weight disappearing once he's underway, but he also
say that he finds it a bit much to handle for city riding. That's just one
rider, of course, and I didn't pursue the matter to find out, for example,
whether he actually disliked riding it in the city.

So, my new question for you, if I may, is: how much of *your* brisk riding is
around town, as opposed to out on backroads, etc., and do you find city riding
much different on the 11 as opposed to the 80?

Should you be so inclined, any other observations you can make about the
R11RT, especially in comparison w/ the 80, would also be extremely useful to
me: the 11 seems nearly perfect *except* for the weight. (My recent visit to
a dealer's web site indicates that the 11 has a wet weight of 622 lbs, not
the 650-675 I guessed at earlier, but that's still 122 lbs more than the
R80RT).

Thanks very much for sharing whatever you can!!

-- Sean Streiff

Ian George

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/30/98
In article <73smmo$ved$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, seanstreiff@my-
dejanews.com writes

>I've been away for a bit, but thanks very much for your reply -- the fact
>that you speak so highly of the RllRT after having ridden an R80RT for 9
>years means alot to me.

Don't - it'll go to my head!

>So, my new question for you, if I may, is: how much of *your* brisk riding is
>around town, as opposed to out on backroads, etc., and do you find city riding
>much different on the 11 as opposed to the 80?

Did I make it clear that I only had the big boxer for the weekend? I did
manage to cover approximately 160 motorway miles and about 200 country
road (mainly unclassified, in some cases single track country road)
miles. And only covered about 10 city miles (dealer to motorway,
motorway to dealer) so I can't really comment too much on city driving.
I can say that the R80RT is better around town than my F650 funduro,
though.

>Should you be so inclined, any other observations you can make about the
>R11RT, especially in comparison w/ the 80, would also be extremely useful to
>me: the 11 seems nearly perfect *except* for the weight. (My recent visit to
>a dealer's web site indicates that the 11 has a wet weight of 622 lbs, not
>the 650-675 I guessed at earlier, but that's still 122 lbs more than the
>R80RT).

The weight really wasn't a problem. Don't forget that the weight of the
11 includes panniers etc. - these were options on the R80RT & will not
be included in the specified weight. It's more realistic to compare the
weight of the R100RT (which had panniers, top box, clock, volt etc.)
which was 525lbs.

I suspect the 11 has a lower centre of gravity (the 37 lb of fairing is
carried rather high up on the 80) which adds to the feeling of
lightness, which would make it just as suitable about town.

I have found that BMW dealers are more than happy for you to have decent
length road tests on the bikes if there is a possibility that you might
buy one. Chat to your dealer and take one for a good long ride. You will
not regret it!