I rode...

Champ

Nov 23, 2023, 6:36:28 AM11/23/23
...my motorbuke yesterday

It was great!
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

chrisnd @ukrm

Nov 23, 2023, 9:10:15 AM11/23/23
On 23/11/2023 11:36, Champ wrote:
> ...my motorbuke yesterday
>
> It was great!

I managed to give both mine a 'pre-winter' run today - taking advantage
of this mornings fine weather before the wet and cold winds of the north
arrive...
...about now actually!

Its actually nice to have an on-topic post for a change!

Chris
--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t

Stephen Packer

Nov 23, 2023, 9:49:40 AM11/23/23
On Thursday, 23 November 2023 at 11:36:28 UTC, Champ wrote:
> ...my motorbuke yesterday
>
> It was great!

Been riding my old R1100 quite a bit recently. Also great.

What wasn't *quite* so great was being overtaken by a van which
was weaving around erratically while doing 90+ on the M4 at about
7AM.

After a while I pulled alongside and saw the driver(wearing a hoodie)
was watching his phone, held in his right hand while driving...
pornography on the M4 at 7AM. I almost wondered if he was steering
with his knees to keep his left hand free for 'other uses'.

I didn't get the number plate but I did 'log' the employer and I
*almost* gave them a call. Should have really; that guy clearly
shouldn't be in a job that involves driving.

Mark Olson

Nov 23, 2023, 10:06:16 AM11/23/23
Champ <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote:
> ...my motorbuke yesterday
>
> It was great!

They're ace, aren't they?

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

wessie

Nov 23, 2023, 10:34:36 AM11/23/23
Stephen Packer <stephen...@gmail.com> wrote in news:766b30e8-fad8-4c72-
bfca-78e0...@googlegroups.com:

> On Thursday, 23 November 2023 at 11:36:28 UTC, Champ wrote:
>> ...my motorbuke yesterday
>>
>> It was great!
>
> Been riding my old R1100 quite a bit recently. Also great.
>
> What wasn't *quite* so great was being overtaken by a van which
> was weaving around erratically while doing 90+ on the M4 at about
> 7AM.

WTF is a retiree doing on the M4 at such an hour?

> After a while I pulled alongside and saw the driver(wearing a hoodie)
> was watching his phone, held in his right hand while driving...
> pornography on the M4 at 7AM. I almost wondered if he was steering
> with his knees to keep his left hand free for 'other uses'.
>
> I didn't get the number plate but I did 'log' the employer and I
> *almost* gave them a call. Should have really; that guy clearly
> shouldn't be in a job that involves driving.

yes, driving erratically on the M4 is reserved for those commuting on a
motorcycle to Newbury from near Bath

Turby

Nov 23, 2023, 11:02:49 AM11/23/23
On 11/23/2023 3:36 AM, Champ wrote:
> ...my motorbuke yesterday It was great!

Oh yeah. (Whatever a motorbuke is.)

> -- Champ neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told You
never slow down, you never grow old

They lied.

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS & ST1100 (in memoriam)

Pete Fisher

Nov 23, 2023, 11:39:42 AM11/23/23
On 23/11/2023 11:36, Champ wrote:
> ...my motorbuke yesterday
>
> It was great!

I rode two of mine today. I concur.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen

Stephen Packer

Nov 23, 2023, 12:29:23 PM11/23/23
On Thursday, 23 November 2023 at 15:34:36 UTC, wessie wrote:
> Stephen Packer <stephen...@gmail.com> wrote in news:766b30e8-fad8-4c72-
> bfca-78e0...@googlegroups.com:
> > On Thursday, 23 November 2023 at 11:36:28 UTC, Champ wrote:
> >> ...my motorbuke yesterday
> >>
> >> It was great!
> >
> > Been riding my old R1100 quite a bit recently. Also great.
> >
> > What wasn't *quite* so great was being overtaken by a van which
> > was weaving around erratically while doing 90+ on the M4 at about
> > 7AM.
> >
> WTF is a retiree doing on the M4 at such an hour?

Going to a part time job. I found that working gave me a few things retirement
doesn't:
- Money
- Social Interaction
- Sense of purpose.

Money is the one I miss the least (although I'd not be getting out of bed
around six without it...)

Simon Wilson

Nov 23, 2023, 1:04:23 PM11/23/23
On 23/11/2023 17:29, Stephen Packer wrote:
> On Thursday, 23 November 2023 at 15:34:36 UTC, wessie wrote:
>> Stephen Packer <stephen...@gmail.com> wrote in news:766b30e8-fad8-4c72-
>> bfca-78e0...@googlegroups.com:

>>> Been riding my old R1100 quite a bit recently. Also great.
>>>
>>> What wasn't *quite* so great was being overtaken by a van which
>>> was weaving around erratically while doing 90+ on the M4 at about
>>> 7AM.
>>>
>> WTF is a retiree doing on the M4 at such an hour?
>
> Going to a part time job. I found that working gave me a few things retirement
> doesn't:
> - Money

Ok

> - Social Interaction

Ugh

> - Sense of purpose.

Didn't we do this one already?

--
/Simon

wessie

Nov 23, 2023, 1:10:14 PM11/23/23
Stephen Packer <stephen...@gmail.com> wrote in
I have been economically inactive since 1st March 2023 and I have yet to
consider being at a point where doing some paid work is necessary to
fulfil the criteria you list.

I have been considering some unpaid work as a local community centre
closed by the council has started up again through a charity, which
might fulfil a couple of them.

I recently renewed my mandatory registration, having to demonstrate CPD
[1] based on about 6 weeks working in the last registration year. As I
have only been in my new home for a month, I might need the option to do
some locum work if the running costs of the new place would need me to
draw down savings[2] at a faster pace than expected.

[1] continuous professional development
[2] released from selling the Cheltenham house and moving to Powys[3]
[3] the 65% equity gain over 9 years of ownership was always considered
part of the early retirement plan, not a legacy.

Champ

Nov 27, 2023, 12:23:47 PM11/27/23
On Thu, 23 Nov 2023 09:29:21 -0800 (PST), Stephen Packer
<stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> WTF is a retiree doing on the M4 at such an hour?

>Going to a part time job. I found that working gave me a few things retirement
>doesn't:
>- Money
>- Social Interaction
>- Sense of purpose.

Nicely put. Driving a bus occassionally gives me all of the above
too. I probably wouldn't use the phrase "sense of purpose" - I might
say something like "feeling like I'm doing something useful and
worthwhile". Today I had about 40~50 kids on the bus to school, and
that is definitely a job that *someone* has to do!

I might be getting old and mellow, but I do get a real sense of value
when I help a little old lady on and off the bus.

>Money is the one I miss the least (although I'd not be getting out of bed
>around six without it...)

I don't usually accept any shifts with that early a start. I was up
at 6:45 this morning for a 7:25 bus shift, and that's as early as I
go.

Champ

Nov 27, 2023, 12:24:38 PM11/27/23
On Thu, 23 Nov 2023 08:02:46 -0800, Turby <xs...@xmail.com> wrote:

>On 11/23/2023 3:36 AM, Champ wrote:

>>I don't know, but I been told You never slow down, you never grow old

>They lied.

heh.

Take it up with Tom Petty. Oh.

Colin Irvine

Nov 28, 2023, 4:31:23 AM11/28/23
On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 17:23:50 +0000, Champ <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Nov 2023 09:29:21 -0800 (PST), Stephen Packer
><stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> WTF is a retiree doing on the M4 at such an hour?
>
>>Going to a part time job. I found that working gave me a few things retirement
>>doesn't:
>>- Money
>>- Social Interaction
>>- Sense of purpose.
>
>Nicely put. Driving a bus occassionally gives me all of the above
>too. I probably wouldn't use the phrase "sense of purpose" - I might
>say something like "feeling like I'm doing something useful and
>worthwhile". Today I had about 40~50 kids on the bus to school, and
>that is definitely a job that *someone* has to do!
>
>I might be getting old and mellow, but I do get a real sense of value
>when I help a little old lady on and off the bus.

Quite. Not in the same league, but I get a similar feeling when an
Associate passes their IAM advanced test.

--
Colin Irvine
R1250RS

Stephen Packer

Nov 29, 2023, 5:02:06 AM11/29/23
On Monday, 27 November 2023 at 17:23:47 UTC, Champ wrote:

> I might be getting old and mellow, but I do get a real sense of value
> when I help a little old lady on and off the bus.

Oh, so you're not driving like the Nightrider, licking your lips and aiming
the bus at the little old ladies?

Whatever happened to UKRM?

Stephen Packer

Nov 29, 2023, 5:03:08 AM11/29/23
On Thursday, 23 November 2023 at 18:04:23 UTC, Simon Wilson wrote:
> On 23/11/2023 17:29, Stephen Packer wrote:
> > - Sense of purpose.
>
> Didn't we do this one already?

Probably, but I like to repeat myself.

Turby

Nov 29, 2023, 6:38:35 AM11/29/23
Yeah. So I was scrolling through the random stuff on facebook and an
image popped up of a hot babe on a Harley, leaning into a turn. She was
wearing a skimpy open-face helmet, a sexy tank-top, and high heels. The
caption included the words "Ride Safe." I had to make a comment,
something to the effect that, to me, riding safe would include a
full-face helmet and an armoured jacket. I got a couple of likes, but in
the days since, I've been inundated with photos of beautiful women
posing on Harleys. I wonder how the old UKRM might have handled it.

wessie

Nov 29, 2023, 8:05:43 AM11/29/23
Turby <xs...@xmail.com> wrote in news:uk77qd$qe0f$1...@dont-email.me:
told them to fuck off back to rec,harleyridingmisogynisticwankers where
their sort are tolerated

ogden

Nov 29, 2023, 1:30:55 PM11/29/23
Turby wrote:
> I was scrolling through the random stuff on facebook and an
> image popped up of a hot babe on a Harley, leaning into a turn. She was
> wearing a skimpy open-face helmet, a sexy tank-top, and high heels. The
> caption included the words "Ride Safe." I had to make a comment,
> something to the effect that, to me, riding safe would include a
> full-face helmet and an armoured jacket.

You didn't have to, though, did you?

ogden

Nov 29, 2023, 1:32:08 PM11/29/23
Champ wrote:
> ...my motorbuke yesterday
>
> It was great!

Pfft. I rode mine in August. Months ahead of you.

Turby

Nov 29, 2023, 1:57:01 PM11/29/23
Hell, I don't do anything else but read the internet nowadays, so...

Simon Wilson

Nov 29, 2023, 3:21:32 PM11/29/23
Me too, in Scarborough.

Nothing since.

--
/Simon

Ben Blaney

Dec 1, 2023, 7:19:36 AM12/1/23
On Thursday, November 23, 2023 at 6:36:28 AM UTC-5, Champ wrote:
> ...my motorbuke yesterday

I did not, but I did walk past it in the garage yesterday.

We've had our first snow, and the roads salted, so all the old stuff is away for the winter, or - as I call it - "the boring season".

ogden

Dec 1, 2023, 10:44:12 AM12/1/23
Simon Wilson wrote:
> ogden wrote:
> > Champ wrote:
> >> ...my motorbuke yesterday
> >>
> >> It was great!
> >
> > Pfft. I rode mine in August. Months ahead of you.
>
> Me too, in Scarborough.

Oh, I wasn't even thinking of that kind of riding.

> Nothing since.

You are the new Trollen.