OT:Paging Wessie

Alan Lee

Mar 15, 2023, 2:35:58 PM3/15/23
How is the house sale going?
The EA is coming round next Friday to do the photos, he still thinks it
should be marketed at last years level, I want a quick sale, so am going
a lot lower.
Any tips before he turns up?

French run - the OH spoke to CB at the weekend, they dont think they
will make it now, going instead to Normandy, I presume you are with them?

--
Remove the '+' and replace with 'plus' to reply by email

wessie

Mar 15, 2023, 3:13:38 PM3/15/23
Alan Lee <al...@darkroom.plus.com> wrote in

> How is the house sale going?
> The EA is coming round next Friday to do the photos, he still thinks
> it should be marketed at last years level, I want a quick sale, so am
> going a lot lower.
> Any tips before he turns up?

This place needs a bit of work. Nothing that stops someone moving in but
windows and doors are geriatric uPVC so not sealing well in places.
Floor upstairs are 50 year old chipboard and need some TLC. We pitched
the price at just above the lower value in Zoopla's range which spans
£24k.

I have had 7 viewings over the 2 weekends since listing.

2 offers so far at £10k below asking price. Not accepting those, yet at
least. I'm in no hurry as a couple of the others seem keen but have
technicalities to resolve before they can make an offer. Apparently they
have to demonstrate they have access to funds before they can make an
offer. One is self-employed so embroiled with a mortgage broker.

I note that some places in Shropshire and just across the border in
Wales that I have saved in Zoopla have had prices reduced. They are
mostly places that went on the market in 2022, so some adjustment not
surprising.

It's Cheltenham Festival until Friday so not expecting anyone coming
this week, and only the 3rd weekend on the market. From my perspective,
with Easter and the bank holidays coming, it would be convenient to move
mid May i.e. after the

> French run - the OH spoke to CB at the weekend, they dont think they
> will make it now, going instead to Normandy, I presume you are with
> them?

Yes. I visited C&T last month and we made the assumption that the trip
would be in Normandy so made plans to extend in Normandy & Brittany. We
had booked the Brittany Ferries crossing to Caen on the Friday, arriving
mid afternoon, so too far to travel to Givet. We have booked into a
Logis hotel for the Fri/Sat half way between Caen & Bayeux, then St
Malo, then Valognes before home from Cherbourg.

TMack

Mar 16, 2023, 10:00:19 AM3/16/23
On Wed, 15 Mar 2023 19:13:36 +0000, wessie wrote:

> Yes. I visited C&T last month and we made the assumption that the trip
> would be in Normandy so made plans to extend in Normandy & Brittany. We
> had booked the Brittany Ferries crossing to Caen on the Friday, arriving
> mid afternoon, so too far to travel to Givet. We have booked into a
> Logis hotel for the Fri/Sat half way between Caen & Bayeux, then St
> Malo, then Valognes before home from Cherbourg.

Boo! Sorry to hear you guys won't be at Givet. We will have to catch up
later in the year.

--
Tony
FJR1300, BSA Bantams x3, BSA C10L, Norton Electra, Suzuki ST400

wessie

Mar 26, 2023, 12:48:42 PM3/26/23
Alan Lee <al...@darkroom.plus.com> wrote in news:tut36c$10fmj$1@dont-
email.me:

> How is the house sale going?
> The EA is coming round next Friday to do the photos, he still thinks it
> should be marketed at last years level, I want a quick sale, so am going
> a lot lower.
> Any tips before he turns up?
>
> French run - the OH spoke to CB at the weekend, they dont think they
> will make it now, going instead to Normandy, I presume you are with them?

hot weekend for viewings after none last weekend presumably due to the
horse racing

previous offer[0] raised to within 3% of asking price so if none of the
viewings[1] this week result in an offer I will probably be accepting that
offer.

[0] buy to let chappie with several properties so not my preferred option
as a buyer

[1] including one from a couple who viewed 2 weeks ago. Local couple. He
likes the garage as he is a cabinet maker and luthier and wants a home
workshop. Would be nice if they decide to buy.

Alan Lee

Mar 26, 2023, 3:43:22 PM3/26/23
On 26/03/2023 17:48, wessie wrote:
> Alan Lee <al...@darkroom.plus.com> wrote in news:tut36c$10fmj$1@dont-
> email.me:
>
>> How is the house sale going?

> hot weekend for viewings after none last weekend presumably due to the
> horse racing
>
> previous offer[0] raised to within 3% of asking price so if none of the
> viewings[1] this week result in an offer I will probably be accepting that
> offer.

I'd grab it if he is a cash buyer. Another interest rate rise last week,
worries about Banks failing, get it sold. I CBA who buys ours so long as
they pay.
Ours goes on the market tomorrow. Pictures done, we've agreed on a price
below what he recommended. I want £215k in my hand (minus fees, so ~210
irl), he reckons he could get £235k, maybe more. He wanted to market it
at £250k, we've settled on £230k guide price, he says he'll book as many
viewings as possible into a 2 hour window. That makes the buyers think
they have competition,when thye see other people viewing it, so they
make offers sooner than after a single viewing. It sounds bollocks to
me, but, it's not my line of business.
He did say the first few offers will be £10-15k below the asking price.
I've told him, if they are cash/quick buyers, then they are welcome to
have it at anything from 215-220k, but, the deal is, no fucking about,
it's reduced for a quickish sale, twat about and they will be fucked off.

wessie

Mar 26, 2023, 5:04:19 PM3/26/23
Alan Lee <al...@darkroom.plus.com> wrote in
your figures sound similar to mine - Zoopla has a top estimate of £250k
but I imagine that would be with recent windows and a more modern
kitchen, and fewer resident spiders. Put up for £230k.

they have used the same 20 minute window in a 2 hour block for visits,
11 in total over 3 of the last 4 weekends. Generated 2 offers at £220k
and one revised to £223k. Bit of luck and the luthier will come in at
£225k or more and I can start looking at new places so there is not too
big a gap where I am homeless.

apparently conveyancing is taking forever, even with a cash buyer, 3
months is quick locally. Vass is stuck in a chain and has posted on Fb
about being 6 months post offer and little sign of movement.

wessie

Mar 27, 2023, 3:40:33 PM3/27/23
Alan Lee <al...@darkroom.plus.com> wrote in

> On 26/03/2023 17:48, wessie wrote:
>> Alan Lee <al...@darkroom.plus.com> wrote in news:tut36c$10fmj$1@dont-
>> email.me:
>>
>>> How is the house sale going?
>
>> hot weekend for viewings after none last weekend presumably due to
>> the horse racing
>>
>> previous offer[0] raised to within 3% of asking price so if none of
>> the viewings[1] this week result in an offer I will probably be
>> accepting that offer.
>
> I'd grab it if he is a cash buyer. Another interest rate rise last
> week, worries about Banks failing, get it sold. I CBA who buys ours so
> long as they pay.

and he's come back at £225k, so accepted

now the wait for him to prove his ID and financials

plus he has made offers on other places then changed his mind, hence the
hope someone else would make an offer

trying to put together a shortlist of places to view and cross
referencing Rightmove with the actual websites of the estate agents.
Either they do not list all properties on Rightmove or we get presented
with a curated list. Added two more to the list.

Trying to steer clear of leashold but the coach house flat above a
garage is tempting. There are 2 on corner plots so have a bit of garden,
which is rare. Plus they back onto countryside yet only half a mile from
a big supermarket. Need to check the ground rent and annual fees but the
price advantage offsets these compared to a freehold house.

YTC#1

Mar 28, 2023, 4:14:47 AM3/28/23
On 27/03/2023 20:40, wessie wrote:
> Alan Lee <al...@darkroom.plus.com> wrote in
>
>> On 26/03/2023 17:48, wessie wrote:
>>> Alan Lee <al...@darkroom.plus.com> wrote in news:tut36c$10fmj$1@dont-
>>> email.me:

>>> hot weekend for viewings after none last weekend presumably due to
>>> the horse racing
>>>
>>> previous offer[0] raised to within 3% of asking price so if none of
>>> the viewings[1] this week result in an offer I will probably be
>>> accepting that offer.
>>
>> I'd grab it if he is a cash buyer. Another interest rate rise last
>> week, worries about Banks failing, get it sold. I CBA who buys ours so
>> long as they pay.
>
> and he's come back at Ł225k, so accepted

fingers crossed

> Trying to steer clear of leashold but the coach house flat above a
Wayyy back in the '90s we were offered the chance to buy our leashold
for the grand sum of £440, all in, including fees.
Bit their arm off. :-)

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Alan Lee

Mar 28, 2023, 5:01:01 AM3/28/23
On 26/03/2023 22:04, wessie wrote:
> will come in at
> Ј225k or more and I can start looking at new places so there is not too
> big a gap where I am homeless.
>
> apparently conveyancing is taking forever, even with a cash buyer, 3
> months is quick locally. Vass is stuck in a chain and has posted on Fb
> about being 6 months post offer and little sign of movement.

Glad you have the offer, now the exasperating wait begins.
We don't know what we're doing when we leave here, we can't stay here,
as I have to be near the new build plot to do various things, but, there
seems to be very few properties up for rent in the area. There are
holiday parks not too far away, we may have to end up on one of those
for a few months in a caravan.

wessie

Mar 28, 2023, 5:22:45 AM3/28/23
Alan Lee <al...@darkroom.plus.com> wrote in news:tvuacb$3mamr$1@dont-
email.me:
I'm hoping there won't be too much of a gap between completing here and on
the new place, but that will largely depend on if the vendor is in a chain.

I get the feeling in my price band that a lot of the properties are ex-buy
to lets, so advertised as no chain. One landlord seems to have several
properties up for sale and a batch of them had the price dropped yesterday.

As for temporary accommodation, I have a kind offer from good friends and
I'll just rent a shipping container for chattels.

jeremy

Mar 28, 2023, 5:49:35 AM3/28/23
On 28 Mar 2023 at 10:22:42 BST, "wessie" <willn...@tesco.net> wrote:

> As for temporary accommodation, I have a kind offer from good friends and
> I'll just rent a shipping container for chattels.

I'm really hoping that isn't your nickname for a loved one.
--
jeremy

Pete Fisher

Mar 28, 2023, 6:13:24 AM3/28/23
On 28/03/2023 10:22, wessie wrote:
> Alan Lee <al...@darkroom.plus.com> wrote in news:tvuacb$3mamr$1@dont-
> email.me:
>
>> On 26/03/2023 22:04, wessie wrote:
>>> will come in at
>>> Ј225k or more and I can start looking at new places so there is not too
>>> big a gap where I am homeless.
>>>
>>> apparently conveyancing is taking forever, even with a cash buyer, 3
>>> months is quick locally. Vass is stuck in a chain and has posted on Fb
>>> about being 6 months post offer and little sign of movement.

24 April to 11 July from offer acceptance to completion on our move.

Possibly quicker because a lot of the work on our sale was already in
place because we pulled out of a previous purchase.

No upward chain though and we sold to a first time buyer. Factors in our
acceptance of offer and deciding to buy a property that wasn't
'perfect'. After our last experience of a chain we just didn't fancy
getting embroiled in one and I was reluctant (but persuaded by SWMBO) to
move anyway.

Just glad we took the plunge when we did. Pretty certain, however, that
the bungalow is now worth less than we paid for it (particular if the
cost of the improvements we have had done so far are factored in). Still
some of the sale proceeds slush fund left, but scaling back on the less
important enhancements.

It is definitely cheaper to run though (lower council tax band for a
start), even after the energy price hike. A water meter makes a
difference, though if we get another baking hot summer I certainly won't
be topping up the pond.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen

Champ

Mar 28, 2023, 7:15:18 AM3/28/23
On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 19:40:31 -0000 (UTC), wessie
<willn...@tesco.net> wrote:

>trying to put together a shortlist of places to view and cross
>referencing Rightmove with the actual websites of the estate agents.
>Either they do not list all properties on Rightmove or we get presented
>with a curated list. Added two more to the list.

It can also be worth doing a comparison between RightMove and Zoopla
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

wessie

Mar 28, 2023, 7:27:28 AM3/28/23
Champ <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote in news:f1j52i1bof4htfkd88qi0nu0fs04tq500g@
4ax.com:

> On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 19:40:31 -0000 (UTC), wessie
> <willn...@tesco.net> wrote:
>
>>trying to put together a shortlist of places to view and cross
>>referencing Rightmove with the actual websites of the estate agents.
>>Either they do not list all properties on Rightmove or we get presented
>>with a curated list. Added two more to the list.
>
> It can also be worth doing a comparison between RightMove and Zoopla

yes, have a couple of searches set up on both platforms

Pete Fisher

Mar 28, 2023, 8:01:46 AM3/28/23
All so different from those late 80's gazumping days when we used to
visit the agents offices in town to see what was new in the window, in
advance of adverts in the local rag. Tales of people following agents
vans to see where they were putting up 'For Sale' signs to get ahead of
the game.

Madness seems to have moved to the rental market - at least in that
London. The lad tells me that you are expected to offer above the
advertised monthly rate. TBF, it is effectively best and final offer
though, so not gazumping.

Plus one place (of several) he put an offer in for required 'bios' and
photos (he now has a SO who will cohabit), and reluctance to enter in to
a contract of only 12 months. Sorted now fortunately, for a one bedroom
penthouse apartment with two balconies. Though there is that question of
"location, location, location ..."

wessie

Mar 28, 2023, 8:22:56 AM3/28/23
Pete Fisher <pe...@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote in
hah, "I have reviewed your photos, you are too ugly to rent my flat."

I have looked at Spareroom to see if there is demand for such. One of my
options, especially if I end up buying a 3 bed place costing more than
originally planned, is to get a lodger. Many potential lodgers are now
posting photos, which was rare when I used the same website myself when
first moving to Cheltenham.

RustyHinge

Mar 28, 2023, 3:16:42 PM3/28/23
(Sunny position)-----(holein the ground covered with clear plastic sheet
with a weight in the middle, reservoir underneath ,fountain
pump/water-level switch and pipe to pond)

(low to no maintenance pond top-up.)

--
Rusty Hinge

RustyHinge

Mar 28, 2023, 3:21:21 PM3/28/23
On 28/03/2023 09:14, YTC#1 wrote:

>> Trying to steer clear of leashold but the coach house flat above a
> Wayyy back in the '90s we were offered the chance to buy our leashold
> for the grand sum of £440, all in, including fees.
> Bit their arm off. :-)

You don't say...

wessie

Apr 21, 2023, 11:47:56 AM4/21/23

> On 27/03/2023 20:40, wessie wrote:
>> plus he has made offers on other places then changed his mind, hence
>> the hope someone else would make an offer
>>
>> trying to put together a shortlist of places to view and cross
>> referencing Rightmove with the actual websites of the estate agents.
>> Either they do not list all properties on Rightmove or we get
>> presented with a curated list. Added two more to the list.
>
> No offers yet on mine, had a few viewings, they all seem to want a
> perfect house, of which this is not. The shitehole around the corner
> has sold now, which is a good sign, as mine is certainly better than
> that, and only £10k more for a clean house with an extra bedroom and
> a garden that isnt a jungle.

sat twiddling my thumbs waiting for the conveyancing to go through on
mine. Just had some queries from the buyer's solicitor. One of which was
answered in the questionnaire I completed and the other related to a
rail development on the heritage GWR line, not even in the same county!

I made an offer on a place after viewing several. A little further north
than is ideal but very little on the market in Oswestry or Welshpool.
Newish development north of Wrexham on the Flintshire border. A coach
house type place with garage and small garden. Need to wait for my
solicitor to check the land registry stuff as it was leasehold until
2012 and he has found many to be "complicated".

> And, going back on topic, the BMW R1200RS may be going. I've tried a
> Tiger 900 GT. and quite like it. I'm trying to get a test ride on the
> Low version, if that works out, the BM will be going.

having recently got rid of a chain driven bike, I don't fancy another

RustyHinge

Apr 22, 2023, 9:55:13 PM4/22/23
On 21/04/2023 16:47, wessie wrote:
> Alan Lee <al...@darkroom.plus.com> wrote in
>
>> On 27/03/2023 20:40, wessie wrote:
>>> plus he has made offers on other places then changed his mind, hence
>>> the hope someone else would make an offer
>>>
>>> trying to put together a shortlist of places to view and cross
>>> referencing Rightmove with the actual websites of the estate agents.
>>> Either they do not list all properties on Rightmove or we get
>>> presented with a curated list. Added two more to the list.
>>
>> No offers yet on mine, had a few viewings, they all seem to want a
>> perfect house, of which this is not. The shitehole around the corner
>> has sold now, which is a good sign, as mine is certainly better than
>> that, and only £10k more for a clean house with an extra bedroom and
>> a garden that isnt a jungle.
>
> sat twiddling my thumbs waiting for the conveyancing to go through on
> mine. Just had some queries from the buyer's solicitor. One of which was
> answered in the questionnaire I completed and the other related to a
> rail development on the heritage GWR line, not even in the same county!
>
> I made an offer on a place after viewing several. A little further north
> than is ideal but very little on the market in Oswestry or Welshpool.
> Newish development north of Wrexham on the Flintshire border. A coach
> house type place with garage and small garden. Need to wait for my
> solicitor to check the land registry stuff as it was leasehold until
> 2012 and he has found many to be "complicated".
>
>> And, going back on topic, the BMW R1200RS may be going. I've tried a
>> Tiger 900 GT. and quite like it. I'm trying to get a test ride on the
>> Low version, if that works out, the BM will be going.
>>

> having recently got rid of a chain driven bike, I don't fancy another

'Fraid I haven't got a belt-drive one in stock.

Alan Lee

Apr 23, 2023, 2:46:15 AM4/23/23
On 21/04/2023 16:47, wessie wrote:
> I made an offer on a place after viewing several. A little further north
> than is ideal but very little on the market in Oswestry or Welshpool.
> Newish development north of Wrexham on the Flintshire border. A coach
> house type place with garage and small garden. Need to wait for my
> solicitor to check the land registry stuff as it was leasehold until
> 2012 and he has found many to be "complicated".

The S-i-L lives in Denbigh. It seems OK.

>> And, going back on topic, the BMW R1200RS may be going. I've tried a
>> Tiger 900 GT. and quite like it. I'm trying to get a test ride on the
>> Low version, if that works out, the BM will be going.
>>
> having recently got rid of a chain driven bike, I don't fancy another

Yes, there is that, but also comfort and weight, the Tiger is far more
comfortable, I've got risers and GS bars, but the bars are still a
little too far away, and the weight, although manageable, it can be a
pain moving it. I'm arranging a long test ride to see how the Tiger
feels, a go around a car park isnt enough. The warm feet will be missed too.

Higgins

Apr 23, 2023, 7:00:09 AM4/23/23
wessie <willn...@tesco.net> wrote:

> A coach
> house type place with garage and small garden. Need to wait for my
> solicitor to check the land registry stuff as it was leasehold until
> 2012 and he has found many to be "complicated".

Hah, yes, our house in Calne had the garage under a coach house and, when
we were selling, the buyer’s solicitor found an issue that, rather than
saying that the garage lease could only be sold with the house, it actually
said that it couldn’t be sold at all.

Apparently it was a common problem with Persimmon houses of the early
2000s.

wessie

Apr 23, 2023, 7:17:19 AM4/23/23
Higgins <the.best.na...@gmail.com> wrote in
presumably resolved?

The flat I have made an offer on is above 2 garages. One of those would be
mine but fuck knows who the other garage is owned or leased by. It could be
another flat above or one of the houses across the road.

Higgins

Apr 23, 2023, 7:54:48 AM4/23/23
wessie <willn...@tesco.net> wrote:
> Higgins <the.best.na...@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> wessie <willn...@tesco.net> wrote:
>>
>>> A coach
>>> house type place with garage and small garden. Need to wait for my
>>> solicitor to check the land registry stuff as it was leasehold until
>>> 2012 and he has found many to be "complicated".
>>>

>> Hah, yes, our house in Calne had the garage under a coach house and,
>> when we were selling, the buyer’s solicitor found an issue that,
>> rather than saying that the garage lease could only be sold with the
>> house, it actually said that it couldn’t be sold at all.
>>
>> Apparently it was a common problem with Persimmon houses of the early
>> 2000s.
>>

> presumably resolved?

Well enough that the transaction was completed but it was complex,
involving tracking down the landlord of the flat and his mortgage company.
I suspect that the new owner may still have had unresolved issues as I
recall a conversation with my solicitor along the lines of asking him “If
you don’t draw attention to this, does it leave you exposed to professional
risk?”

> The flat I have made an offer on is above 2 garages. One of those would be
> mine but fuck knows who the other garage is owned or leased by. It could be
> another flat above or one of the houses across the road.

If I recall the owner of the coach house was the owner of all the garages
and was responsible for insuring them, but it was some time ago.

wessie

Apr 23, 2023, 8:27:38 AM4/23/23

> wessie <willn...@tesco.net> wrote:

>> The flat I have made an offer on is above 2 garages. One of those
>> would be mine but fuck knows who the other garage is owned or leased
>> by. It could be another flat above or one of the houses across the
>> road.
>>

> If I recall the owner of the coach house was the owner of all the
> garages and was responsible for insuring them, but it was some time
> ago.

that would be the case if the row of garages with flats above were
leasehold. This was the case when they were built by Taylor Woodrow in the
1990s. A previous owner, not the current one, bought the freehold from TW
in 2012. The positive thing is that the current owner bought the property
in 2019 and has a Natwest mortgage on it, so one assumes it passed scrutiny
at that time.