OT: Anybody here interested in looking after a work server?

Paul Carmichael

Mar 10, 2023, 10:42:14 AM3/10/23
Offsite server with MS and Sage products. Three people log onto it to
work. Need usual stuff - backups and updates etc.

Not my area of expertise.

Give me a shout.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

siwilson

Mar 10, 2023, 1:10:05 PM3/10/23
On 10/03/2023 15:42, Paul Carmichael wrote:
> Offsite server with MS and Sage products. Three people log onto it to
> work. Need usual stuff - backups and updates etc.
>
> Not my area of expertise.
>
> Give me a shout.

What, like a real piece of tin, with wires and flashing lights and
on/off switches and dust and shiznit?

No thanks.

--
/Simon

Champ

Mar 12, 2023, 6:42:18 AM3/12/23
On Fri, 10 Mar 2023 18:10:04 +0000, siwilson
<siwi...@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 10/03/2023 15:42, Paul Carmichael wrote:
>> Offsite server with MS and Sage products. Three people log onto it to
>> work. Need usual stuff - backups and updates etc.

>What, like a real piece of tin, with wires and flashing lights and
>on/off switches and dust and shiznit?
>
>No thanks.

heh

"There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer" :-)
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

chrisnd @ukrm

Mar 12, 2023, 10:17:15 AM3/12/23
On 12/03/2023 10:42, Champ wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Mar 2023 18:10:04 +0000, siwilson
> <siwi...@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/03/2023 15:42, Paul Carmichael wrote:
>>> Offsite server with MS and Sage products. Three people log onto it to
>>> work. Need usual stuff - backups and updates etc.
>
>> What, like a real piece of tin, with wires and flashing lights and
>> on/off switches and dust and shiznit?
>>
>> No thanks.
>
> heh
>
> "There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer" :-)

Yes, and part of me hopes that somewhere a major part of it is still a
monstrous barn filled with valve flip-flops...

Chris
--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t

Paul Carmichael

Mar 12, 2023, 10:54:37 AM3/12/23
El Sun, 12 Mar 2023 14:17:10 +0000, chrisnd @ukrm escribió:

> On 12/03/2023 10:42, Champ wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Mar 2023 18:10:04 +0000, siwilson
>> <siwi...@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> What, like a real piece of tin, with wires and flashing lights and
>>> on/off switches and dust and shiznit?
>>>
>>> No thanks.
>>
>> heh
>>
>> "There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer" :-)
>
> Yes, and part of me hopes that somewhere a major part of it is still a
> monstrous barn filled with valve flip-flops...

Absolutely. A friend of mine was always wibbling about building a
supercomputer with a zillion Z80s.

A thermionic version may not be considered environmentally friendly right
now. 8,500 filaments per Z80.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

chrisnd @ukrm

Mar 12, 2023, 11:24:14 AM3/12/23
These days one would of course use the heat generated in a socially
conscious, environmentally friendly, eco-home heating project...
It would not go to waste like it used to.

Mark Olson

Mar 12, 2023, 11:40:24 AM3/12/23
Paul Carmichael <wibble...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Absolutely. A friend of mine was always wibbling about building a
> supercomputer with a zillion Z80s.
>
> A thermionic version may not be considered environmentally friendly right
> now. 8,500 filaments per Z80.

As few as that? I'm surprised, but perhaps there's a way to put
multiple circuit elements in a single envelope since one filament
can heat more than one cathode.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Paul Carmichael

Mar 12, 2023, 1:14:50 PM3/12/23
El Sun, 12 Mar 2023 15:40:22 +0000, Mark Olson escribió:

> Paul Carmichael <wibble...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Absolutely. A friend of mine was always wibbling about building a
>> supercomputer with a zillion Z80s.
>>
>> A thermionic version may not be considered environmentally friendly
>> right now. 8,500 filaments per Z80.
>
> As few as that? I'm surprised, but perhaps there's a way to put multiple
> circuit elements in a single envelope since one filament can heat more
> than one cathode.

An integrated thermionic valve? Or thermally enclosed chip? No, can't
call it a chip as there would be no silicon. Integrated thermally
enclosed multi-cathode array. That trips off the tongue...

We are seeing the future.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Pipl

Mar 13, 2023, 2:38:12 PM3/13/23
On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 15:40:22 -0000 (UTC), Mark Olson
<ols...@tiny.invalid> wrote:

>Paul Carmichael <wibble...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Absolutely. A friend of mine was always wibbling about building a
>> supercomputer with a zillion Z80s.
>>
>> A thermionic version may not be considered environmentally friendly right
>> now. 8,500 filaments per Z80.
>
>As few as that? I'm surprised, but perhaps there's a way to put
>multiple circuit elements in a single envelope since one filament
>can heat more than one cathode.

Mny years ago an electronics engineer told me of a missile system that
supposedly used the heat from the rocket motor to head a plate that
had loads of thermionic valves on its surface. I guess it had to fly
unguided for a few seconds from launch. Could have been a development
project that went nowhere though. In more ways than one.

--

-Pip

Higgins

Mar 13, 2023, 4:19:33 PM3/13/23
Pipl <plus...@live.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 15:40:22 -0000 (UTC), Mark Olson
> <ols...@tiny.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Paul Carmichael <wibble...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Absolutely. A friend of mine was always wibbling about building a
>>> supercomputer with a zillion Z80s.
>>>
>>> A thermionic version may not be considered environmentally friendly right
>>> now. 8,500 filaments per Z80.
>>
>> As few as that? I'm surprised, but perhaps there's a way to put
>> multiple circuit elements in a single envelope since one filament
>> can heat more than one cathode.
>
> Mny years ago an electronics engineer told me of a missile system that
> supposedly used the heat from the rocket motor to head a plate that
> had loads of thermionic valves on its surface. I guess it had to fly
> unguided for a few seconds from launch.

I don’t know about that but I have seen a nuclear device that was kept warm
by a chicken.

RustyHinge

Mar 13, 2023, 8:37:00 PM3/13/23
And what did it hatch into?