OT: Science on TV

Charlie

Sep 12, 2014, 7:58:22 AM9/12/14
Early this morning, I watched last night's special on the new Stonehenge
research. At the end of the programme, there was a link to selected
episodes celebrating 50 years of 'Horizon', with one entitled
'Strangeness Minus Three' about Murray Gell-Mann's research.

It was astounding to compare the austere and adult 1964 approach to
complex particle physics - with extended interviews with Gell-Mann and
Yuval Ne'eman, and immensely detailed and demanding brief lectures by
Richard Feynman and A. N. Other - with the infantilised way in which
science is presented on TV nowadays.

There was no tricksy time-lapse photography of sunrises or intrusive
background music, no interminable tracking shots of Michio Kaku or Brian
Cox walking through New York or driving through the desert; just
intelligent people talking with humility, enthusiasm and humour to an
audience which they assumed to be composed of intelligent people. How
very refreshing, and a real work-out for the brain compared to the
undemanding pap that is so often served up 50 years on.

CT

Sep 12, 2014, 8:11:39 AM9/12/14
I frequently start watching science documentaries and give up half way
through, usually due to the way the information is presented, i.e. as to
a primary school child.

Whilst I can see the merit in getting the information across to, let's
say, "less sciency" people, where are the documentaries for people that
aren't completely stupid?

--
Chris

JeremyR

Sep 12, 2014, 8:19:34 AM9/12/14
"CT" <m...@christrollen.co.uk> wrote in news:c7g67rFk0joU1
@mid.individual.net:
I refer the above correspondents to the film "Idiocracy".
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

Prophetic innit..

ogden

Sep 12, 2014, 8:40:54 AM9/12/14
CT wrote:

> Whilst I can see the merit in getting the information across to, let's
> say, "less sciency" people, where are the documentaries for people that
> aren't completely stupid?

They're called books.

Peasant.

--
ogden

990SMT - bouncy orange tractor
GSXR1000 - vintage sports-tourer

CT

Sep 12, 2014, 8:58:37 AM9/12/14
ogden wrote:

> CT wrote:
> >
> > Whilst I can see the merit in getting the information across to,
> > let's say, "less sciency" people, where are the documentaries for
> > people that aren't completely stupid?
>
> They're called books.

Well, yes, as my collection of books by Richard Feynman, Brian Greene,
etc. attest to.

> Peasant.

Again, yes.

Ever seen the film Limitless? There's a quote by one of the
characters:

"I read the Elegant Universe by Brian Greene in 45 minutes, and I
understood all of it!"

It took me several weeks to get through ir and I still didn't get it
all. I must try it again sometime soon.

--
Chris

Thomas

Sep 12, 2014, 10:14:20 AM9/12/14
On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 04:58:22 -0700, Charlie <nos...@all.ta> wrote:

> Early this morning, I watched last night's special on the new Stonehenge
> research. At the end of the programme, there was a link to selected
> episodes celebrating 50 years of 'Horizon', with one entitled
> 'Strangeness Minus Three' about Murray Gell-Mann's research.
>
> It was astounding to compare the austere and adult 1964 approach to
> complex particle physics - with extended interviews with Gell-Mann and
> Yuval Ne'eman, and immensely detailed and demanding brief lectures by
> Richard Feynman and A. N. Other - with the infantilised way in which
> science is presented on TV nowadays.

A couple of days ago I watched a PBS (Public Broadcasting) program on MI6
- "Secrets of HMSS." Rather than simple rational images to support the
voiceover, there were a ton of fake spy-y images. Closeups of suitcases
changing hands, chalk marks on phoneboxes, people looking surreptitious.
etc. The script wasn't bad, but the imagery was enough to make you gag.

OTOH, Carl Sagan, in his book, Intelligent Life in the Universe, was kind
enough to put delimiters around the hard math stuff, so us non-PhDs could
skip over it.

Tim

Sep 12, 2014, 12:44:15 PM9/12/14
On 12/09/2014 12:58, Charlie wrote:
> Early this morning, I watched last night's special on the new Stonehenge
[snip]
> undemanding pap that is so often served up 50 years on.

+1

PipL

Sep 12, 2014, 3:02:34 PM9/12/14
On 12 Sep 2014 12:58:37 GMT, "CT" <m...@christrollen.co.uk> wrote:

>Ever seen the film Limitless? There's a quote by one of the
>characters:
>
>"I read the Elegant Universe by Brian Greene in 45 minutes, and I
>understood all of it!"

"Apes don't read philosophy."
"Yes they do, Otto. They just don't understand it"
--

Pip

ogden

Sep 12, 2014, 3:49:16 PM9/12/14
I don't think they've ever managed to top The Ascent of Man.

Colin Irvine

Sep 12, 2014, 6:01:24 PM9/12/14
+1.

--
Colin Irvine
ZZR1400 BOF#33 BONY#34 COFF#06 BHaLC#5

Thomas

Sep 12, 2014, 6:11:36 PM9/12/14
On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 12:49:16 -0700, ogden <og...@pre.org> wrote:

> I don't think they've ever managed to top The Ascent of Man.

I'd like to see Da Scent of Woman, though.

ogden

Sep 12, 2014, 7:17:20 PM9/12/14
Wooha!

Eiron

Sep 13, 2014, 9:55:30 PM9/13/14
On 12/09/2014 20:49, ogden wrote:

> I don't think they've ever managed to top The Ascent of Man.

It might only have seemed good because you were young and inexperienced
at the time. I'll have to look for it on youtube to find out,
especially as apparently there was some Pink Floyd in it.

There was an entertaining documentary series not so long ago
with Brian Sewell bumming around Europe. :-)

--
Eiron.

ogden

Sep 14, 2014, 7:07:29 AM9/14/14
Eiron wrote:

> On 12/09/2014 20:49, ogden wrote:
>
> > I don't think they've ever managed to top The Ascent of Man.
>
> It might only have seemed good because you were young and inexperienced
> at the time.

I watched it last year, having missed it when originally broadcast due
to a minor case of "not being born yet".

> There was an entertaining documentary series not so long ago
> with Brian Sewell bumming around Europe. :-)

Sewell's Grand Tour? That was brilliant.

Charlie

Sep 15, 2014, 9:27:46 AM9/15/14
On 14/09/2014 02:55, Eiron wrote:

> There was an entertaining documentary series not so long ago
> with Brian Sewell bumming around Europe. :-)

What is the French for 'double entendre'?

Syd Rumpo

Sep 15, 2014, 10:21:13 AM9/15/14
Dunno, but a French woman came into my bar and asked for a double
entendre, so I gave her one.

Cheers
--
Syd

Grimly Curmudgeon

Sep 15, 2014, 8:08:00 PM9/15/14
On 12 Sep 2014 12:11:39 GMT, "CT" <m...@christrollen.co.uk> wrote:

>Whilst I can see the merit in getting the information across to, let's
>say, "less sciency" people, where are the documentaries for people that
>aren't completely stupid?

http://forums.mvgroup.org/

Grimly Curmudgeon

Sep 15, 2014, 8:09:38 PM9/15/14
On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 20:49:16 +0100, ogden <og...@pre.org> wrote:

>I don't think they've ever managed to top The Ascent of Man.

7ft 2in?

Alfonso

Sep 19, 2014, 9:09:40 AM9/19/14
You've noticed. I'm afraid Brain Cox and the off switch are
automatically linked. There are 4 BBC channels you would have thought
that one might be used occasionally for people with more than a 5 minute
attention span.

I'm also pissed of with theories presented as fact to say nothing of
interminable background music.