£300 MIG welder

Peter Fairbrother

Sep 22, 2020, 12:04:42 PM9/22/20
Got about £300 spare and was thinking of buying a MIG welder.
Can I get a semi-decent welder for this price?

I have gas gloves helmet apron etc already. Never done MIG, but I TIG
and stick from time to time.

Won't be used much, maximum thickness about 5mm though I want to eg butt
welding 2mm sheet to 5mm sheet, so a bit tricky. Mostly/only steel or
perhaps nickel alloys.

TIA

Peter Fairbrother

noth...@aolbin.com

Sep 22, 2020, 12:50:11 PM9/22/20
Although slightly more expensive than that (isn't that always the case!)
but I've been very pleased with the R-Tech Mig180. Don't forget to allow
for gas and bottle in your budgeting.

Peter Fairbrother

Sep 22, 2020, 4:49:05 PM9/22/20
A bit too expensive for now. Maybe in a month or two.. but then I need
another 3D printer, and I am sniffing around a milling machine ..

BTW I have gas - well I have 5 argon cylinders, and I can put some CO2
into an empty cylinder and then top it up with argon.

(yes they are proper refillable in-date cylinders)

(apart from one which is about a year out of in date but I only fill it
to about 200 bar bar and it is a 300 bar cylinder. I could get it tested
as it is in great condition, but there is no legal requirement to do so
as it is for my private use only.)

No, I never found a source of reasonably-priced stub drill sets. Jobbers
aplenty, but no stubbies.

Peter Fairbrother