Ceramic Chip Forge

Charles

Aug 1, 2010, 4:42:21 PM8/1/10
A month or so ago I bought a very nice Flamefast ceramic chip forge
from a very nice chap.
With it came a bag of "ceramic chips" (in an old sack sealed with a
cable tie).
When I opened the bag today I thought that the chips looked rather
like the sweepings from a gravel drive rather than what I supposed
"ceramic chips" should look like. Are they supposed to look like that
(a bit like pea shingle but with less rounded shapes)

Thanks

Charles

Andrew Mawson

Aug 2, 2010, 2:51:11 AM8/2/10

"Charles" <char...@littlewrongs.org.uk> wrote in message

Yes Charles, they are spectacularly unimpressive but vastly expensive
if bought from Flamefast (iirc £80 when I got mine about ten year ago)
Anyone know another source as mine are getting thin on the ground now?

AWEM

Charles

Aug 2, 2010, 4:37:17 AM8/2/10
On Aug 2, 7:51 am, "Andrew Mawson"
<andrew@no_spam_please_mawson.org.uk> wrote:
> "Charles" <charl...@littlewrongs.org.uk> wrote in message

Thanks Andrew. That's what I hoped would be said.
I'll give them a try

Charles

DaveC

Aug 2, 2010, 4:58:10 AM8/2/10
Well ..The proof of the puddling is in the (h)eating...

"Charles" <char...@littlewrongs.org.uk> wrote in message

David Billington

Aug 2, 2010, 11:23:59 AM8/2/10
How many kg did you get for £80. I've been wondering about trying to
make some from refractory castable as I have 1600C and 1800C rated
castables. They cost about £25 and £50 per 25kg respectively but I
thought trying 5kg worth might be sufficient.

Andrew Mawson

Aug 2, 2010, 12:43:07 PM8/2/10

"David Billington" <d...@djbillington.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

Mark it was YEARS ago so can't quote weight due to the death of grey
cells - it was just enough to fill the bowl of the ceramic chip
furnace, and supplied as Charles says in a sack tied up with a
Ty-Wrap. I would guess at about half a bucket full so perhaps a
gallon. They are extremely hard and resist crushing (just like pea
shingle!!!)

AWEM

John Patterson

Nov 22, 2020, 11:18:04 PM11/22/20
replying to Andrew Mawson, John Patterson wrote:
sorry about the thread resurrection but.....
Has any one found a cheap supplier of the ceramic chips?
thanks in advance John

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/modelengineering/ceramic-chip-forge-15045-.htm