Motor start relay, Where to get one?

Ian Phillips

Mar 13, 2006, 7:38:05 AM3/13/06
I have a Naerok belt and disk sander that has a split phase motor mounted in
the base casting.

The motor is fine but the start relay contacts have disintegrated. The relay
is functionally similar to the ones used in fridge compressors, has 3
terminals and is marked ZE-604 10Amp, its was made by 'Zing Ear' but they no
longer make them.

I presume that I could use a relay off a similar size motor but all my
searches have drawn a blank.

At a guess I would say the motor is about 300-400W its a bit 'open frame'
and I have thought of making a centrifugal switch as a last resort but would
appreciate any ideas on finding a suitable relay.

Ian Phillips

Guy Griffin

Mar 15, 2006, 10:46:22 AM3/15/06
Ian Phillips wrote:
> The motor is fine but the start relay contacts have disintegrated. The relay
> is functionally similar to the ones used in fridge compressors, has 3
> terminals and is marked ZE-604 10Amp, its was made by 'Zing Ear' but they no
> longer make them.
>
> I presume that I could use a relay off a similar size motor but all my
> searches have drawn a blank.
>
> At a guess I would say the motor is about 300-400W its a bit 'open frame'
> and I have thought of making a centrifugal switch as a last resort but would
> appreciate any ideas on finding a suitable relay.

Starter relays work by switching the motor's start winding on when a
large current is flowing through the main winding, such as during
start-up. It should be possible - ie. I haven't tried it - to make an
electronic starter with 4 components: a power resistor (made of
resistance wire so it can be adjusted) to sense the main winding
current, a triac to switch the start winding, and a resistor & capacitor
in series across the triac to prevent it triggering at the wrong time.

If you don't fancy fiddling around to make that work, a 'fridge starter
relay would probably work if the motor current is similar. Appliance
repair shop?

Guy

Ian Phillips

Mar 15, 2006, 1:12:09 PM3/15/06
Thanks for the reply, I have all but given up trying to find a relay (all
the fridge ones I found are probably too low a current rating) so was
thinking of using second set of contacts on the start switch to energise the
start winding just whilst the switch is pressed. The switch would also latch
a 'run' relay so that it form a No-Volt switch arrangement.

I am sure the resistor/triac approach would work but would probably take a
bit of time to develop properly.

Ian Phillips

"Guy Griffin" <g...@griffin.co.uk> wrote in message

> Ian Phillips wrote:
>> The motor is fine but the start relay contacts have disintegrated. The
>> relay is functionally similar to the ones used in fridge compressors, has
>> 3 terminals and is marked ZE-604 10Amp, its was made by 'Zing Ear' but
>> they no longer make them.

malbenbut

Mar 16, 2006, 8:47:56 AM3/16/06

on small domestic fridg relay ad resistor between ends of coil to
desensify or ad timerto switch of starting winding
MBB

--
malbenbut
malbenbut's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=65670

Andrew Slaymaker

Mar 19, 2022, 12:18:31 PMMar 19
replying to Ian Phillips, Andrew Slaymaker wrote:
Philips, Can you make a Klixon 4CR series relay work? I have quite a few in
stock but not sure it will work for your application.
Let me know and we can go over. Thanks

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/modelengineering/motor-start-relay-where-to-get-one-32068-.htm