Steel and diamond

Peter Fairbrother

Nov 1, 2007, 11:58:52 AM11/1/07
I have to grind some steel using a diamond tool. Any tips on extending
tool life?

Thanks,

-- Peter Fairbrother

Tony Jeffree

Nov 1, 2007, 12:10:49 PM11/1/07
On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 15:58:52 +0000, Peter Fairbrother
<zenad...@zen.co.uk> wrote:

>I have to grind some steel using a diamond tool. Any tips on extending
>tool life?

Use a CBN tool instead?

Regards,
Tony

Cliff Coggin

Nov 1, 2007, 1:28:17 PM11/1/07
If you are referring to diamond impregnated resin wheels, keep the pressure
very low to avoid tearing up the resin, and clean the steel powder off the
wheel frequently. I use meths for the latter.

Cliff Coggin.

"Peter Fairbrother" <zenad...@zen.co.uk> wrote in message

Peter Fairbrother

Nov 1, 2007, 3:09:47 PM11/1/07
Cliff Coggin wrote:
> If you are referring to diamond impregnated resin wheels, keep the pressure
> very low to avoid tearing up the resin, and clean the steel powder off the
> wheel frequently. I use meths for the latter.

No, it's metal bonded. I was more concerned about the diamond dissolving
in the steel. Presumably it should be kept cool, so a slowish speed and
coolant - suds or perhaps water.

I thought about using graphite as a lubricant - would that do anything?
Any other ideas?

Ta,

-- Peter Fairbrother

pent...@yahoo.com

Nov 1, 2007, 6:41:46 PM11/1/07
On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 15:58:52 +0000, Peter Fairbrother
<zenad...@zen.co.uk> wrote:

The main diamond attrition process is chemical and
temperature sensitive. It's no longer a problem at hand honing
surface speeds. Run the wheel at the lowest surface speed that
removes metal an acceptable rate.

Darex drill sharpeners use a single low speed diamond
wheel for sharpening both carbide and HSS drills.

Jim

Cliff Coggin

Nov 2, 2007, 7:03:47 AM11/2/07

"Peter Fairbrother" <zenad...@zen.co.uk> wrote in message

The following is quoted from a email sent by Greg Brookes of Eternal Tools.
It refers to diamond drills, but I daresay the same priciples apply to your
tool.

"Remember that like all diamond drills pressure must remain light and have
plenty of water circulating in and around the work."

Cliff.

sa Masoud

Dec 12, 2022, 10:34:51 PM12/12/22
1. First of all, you should ensure that the adhesive for diamond tools is good enough, because the steel being ground may also absorb diamond particles. Here I recommend the adhesive made of alloy powder: https://www.dymend.com/research-status-of-pre-alloyed-powders-for-diamond-tools;
2. There should be enough good cooling devices. Common water cooling may affect the steel material, which you need to pay attention to;
3. Select the appropriate diamond particle size. Select the appropriate particle size according to the grinding effect you want to achieve. Generally, the life of diamond tools with large particle size will be longer.

--
For full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/modelengineering/steel-and-diamond-48882-.htm