Flat filing

Peter Fairbrother

Jun 29, 2020, 8:00:44 AM6/29/20
I recently had to deburr a number of parts by flat filing then Noga-ing
them. Unsurprisingly I got better as I went on, but one thing made a
surprising difference - the order of hands and part on the file.

I started off using the driving hand - part - other hand order you see
everywhere, but I found that it was a lot easier to get a flat action
using a driving hand - other hand - part order.

Is this common/well known? Usual? Or am I just weird?

Peter Fairbrother

Clifford Coggin

Jun 29, 2020, 8:40:49 AM6/29/20
On 29/06/2020 13:00, Peter Fairbrother wrote:

> I started off using the driving hand - part - other hand order you see
> everywhere, but I found that it was a lot easier to get a flat action
> using a driving hand - other hand - part order.
>

> Peter Fairbrother

I don't understand your description of techniques. Can you elaborate?

--
Clifford Coggin
Kent

Peter Fairbrother

Jun 29, 2020, 8:58:00 AM6/29/20
Normally you would have the part in the vice, and grasp the file with
your hands at the ends of the file. The part would be filed in the
middle of the file, between the hands.

I was holding the file with both hands together and the file end
sticking out, with the part being filed at the end of the file.

HTH,

Peter

David Billington

Jun 29, 2020, 3:10:43 PM6/29/20
When I was doing a metalsmithing course I was shown draw filing of the
edges of sheet metal to get them straight by clamping the file in the
vice and drawing the sheet along it.