PLEASE HELP! Richmond No. 1 horizontal milling machine???

92 views
Skip to first unread message

murfs_mallard

unread,
Jan 2, 2005, 7:03:41 PM1/2/05
to

Hello all,

I live here in the United States and I just purchased a horizontal
milling machine that I think is of european origin. I can't seem to
find any information on this machine at all and was wondering if any of
you have ever heard of it? Description as follows.

Facing the front of the machine on the top left hand side, it says
Richmond in the casting. Below that there is an aluminum plate that
says Atlas Engineering Company, London.

On the right hand side of the machine there is an aluminum plate
that says the following, Type 11, Serial# 4822, Richmond, No. 1 Milling
Machine, and a graphical chart for speeds. Right below that there is a
smaller aluminum plate that has a graphical chart for feeds.

On the bottom right and left sides of the machine in the casting,
it says the following, Midgley & Sutcliffe Ltd, Hunslet Leeds 10

I would greatly appreciate any knowledge of this machine. If you
have manuals, specifications etc. or any information at all please let
me know. Thank you in advance for any help!


Sincerely,

Audie Murphy
MURF'S MALLARD
2140 Hooper Road
Yuba City, CA 95993
Phone: 866-426-8737
Fax: 530-822-7988
Email: au...@murfsmallard.com


--
murfs_mallard
------------------------------------------------------------------------
murfs_mallard's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=52027
View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=316971

Nigel Eaton

unread,
Jan 2, 2005, 7:38:53 PM1/2/05
to
In article <murfs_mall...@rcgroups.com>, murfs_mallard
<murfs_mall...@rcgroups.com> writes

>
>Hello all,
>
>I live here in the United States and I just purchased a horizontal
>milling machine that I think is of european origin. I can't seem to
>find any information on this machine at all and was wondering if any of
>you have ever heard of it? Description as follows.
>
>Facing the front of the machine on the top left hand side, it says
>Richmond in the casting. Below that there is an aluminum plate that
>says Atlas Engineering Company, London.
>
>On the right hand side of the machine there is an aluminum plate
>that says the following, Type 11, Serial# 4822, Richmond, No. 1 Milling
>Machine, and a graphical chart for speeds. Right below that there is a
>smaller aluminum plate that has a graphical chart for feeds.
>
>On the bottom right and left sides of the machine in the casting,
>it says the following, Midgley & Sutcliffe Ltd, Hunslet Leeds 10
>
>I would greatly appreciate any knowledge of this machine. If you
>have manuals, specifications etc. or any information at all please let
>me know. Thank you in advance for any help!

Audie,

Without knowing any better, it sounds to me like you might have bought a
"Bitza" milling machine[1].

I'd recommend a good look around www.lathes.co.uk. If it's not on there,
it probably doesn't exist. Ignore the half-ton of metal in your
workshop, it doesn't exist. ;^)

Good luck.

[1] "Bitza" this, "bitza" that...

--
Nigel

When the only tools you have are a Bridgeport, a CNC Taig Mill, a Colchester
and assorted other stuff, every problem looks like a steam engine.

Tom

unread,
Jan 3, 2005, 11:26:55 PM1/3/05
to

Your machne was made by Midgley & Sutcliffe in 1952.
Yell if you want a scan of the specs, I'm not into
typing screeds..

Tom

Andrew Mawson

unread,
Jan 3, 2005, 4:38:29 AM1/3/05
to

"murfs_mallard" <murfs_mall...@rcgroups.com> wrote in message
news:murfs_mall...@rcgroups.com...

Years back (maybe 15) I had a Richmond No 1. It was a true universal
in that the table swivled as well as going in X & Y, and was suposed
to have a vertical head though I never got one. The spindle was No 3
morse with flats on the bigger end for positive dirve, and the overarm
was dovetails. Very nice machine. Sorry don't (nor ever did) have any
technical literature on it.

There was someone asking similar questions recently re: a Richmond No1
on either rec.crafts.metalworking or the Chaski board I don't recall
which.

AWEM


Charles Ping

unread,
Jan 3, 2005, 7:37:29 AM1/3/05
to


>
>There was someone asking similar questions recently re: a Richmond No1
>on either rec.crafts.metalworking or the Chaski board I don't recall
>which.
>

'Twas Mark Jones

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Forum1/HTML/009537.html

Since he's over here you can't both have been after the same machine!

Charles


murfs_mallard

unread,
Jan 3, 2005, 7:28:48 AM1/3/05
to

Tom

If you would please email me a scan of the specs. you have for
this machine I would greatly appreciate it. I have been searching high
and low for weeks, you are a true life saver.
Thank you, Thank you and Thank you again! :)

murfs_mallard

unread,
Jan 3, 2005, 7:39:38 AM1/3/05
to

Andrew Mawson,

Thank you for your input also. Every time I ask somebody about
Morse Taper 3 tooling with the drive flats, they look at me like I am
crazy or something. It's nice to know I am not the only one.
My machine does have the swiveling table, but the ram for the
arbor support is round not a dovetail like yours was. I got two end
mill holders with it, one was made with the flats and the other
somebody custom ground their own flats on and I also have a 1" dia.
arbor for saws, shells etc... I also have a power feed on this
machine, there is a drive line on the right hand side looking at the
machine that runs from underneath the table down to a gear-box towards
the back.
Thank you for your help!

Tom

unread,
Jan 4, 2005, 9:21:48 AM1/4/05
to
murfs_mallard wrote:
>
> Tom
>
> If you would please email me a scan of the specs. you have for
> this machine I would greatly appreciate it. I have been searching high
> and low for weeks, you are a true life saver.
> Thank you, Thank you and Thank you again! :)
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Audie Murphy
> MURF'S MALLARD
> 2140 Hooper Road
> Yuba City, CA 95993
> Phone: 866-426-8737
> Fax: 530-822-7988
> Email: au...@murfsmallard.com
>

On way..

Tom

murfs_mallard

unread,
Jan 3, 2005, 2:52:21 PM1/3/05
to

Tom,

I got it. Thank you so very much. Now I just need to find out if
the maker is still in business or if any parts are still available, do
you know off hand?


Sincerely,

Audie Murphy
MURF'S MALLARD

www.murfsmallard.com


2140 Hooper Road
Yuba City, CA 95993
Phone: 866-426-8737
Fax: 530-822-7988
Email: au...@murfsmallard.com

Tom

unread,
Jan 4, 2005, 1:03:13 PM1/4/05
to
murfs_mallard wrote:
>
> Tom,
>
> I got it. Thank you so very much. Now I just need to find out if
> the maker is still in business or if any parts are still available, do
> you know off hand?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Audie Murphy
> MURF'S MALLARD
> www.murfsmallard.com
> 2140 Hooper Road
> Yuba City, CA 95993
> Phone: 866-426-8737
> Fax: 530-822-7988
> Email: au...@murfsmallard.com
>

Further to my mail to you, Richmond Machine Tool Co became
part of the George Cohen 600 Group in 1955. The Co appears to
have a chequered career and the name was resurrected again
in 2002 to market VMCs. If parts were available, which I doubt,
going on other 600 Group parts prices, a Ca lottery win would be
inadequate! :-)

Tom

mark

unread,
Jan 5, 2005, 4:40:04 PM1/5/05
to

I'm still waiting for the chap to send me some pics before I think
about going 93 miles to pick it up or even look at it .
I've still no idea what this machine looks like.
The guy who is selling it does not even know how it works.
In the mean time I missed this one here ...The Herbert no1 £50
SOME OTHER BARGAINS HERE AS WELL
http://tool-making.co.uk/forsale.html
ALL THE BEST....MARK

Nigel Bown

unread,
May 30, 2021, 6:10:52 AMMay 30
to
Hi just came across this conversation I have just got a Richmond mill too from what I can see its a model 0 with the single round overarm support, does any one have a user manual for this machine ??
Regards Nigel ( in the UK)

Alan Dawes

unread,
May 31, 2021, 5:29:00 AMMay 31
to
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages