Weed torcch - anyone used these?

285 vues

sweetheart

non lue,
23 juin 2012, 02:21:5123/06/2012
Hello,

A quick question really. Has anyone used one of those weed torch gadgets ? -
they have a gas can and are like a blow torch on a long handle

I would like to know if they are worth getting , are effective and on what
kind and how big a weed ( or weeds). Are they easy to use?

I have tried countless times to get rid of all sorts of weeds in my garden
with weed killer but the stuff seems to lack guts these days and was
wondering if fire might be the answer.

Thanks for any advice.

Le message a été supprimé

sweetheart

non lue,
23 juin 2012, 03:21:5723/06/2012

"Chris Hogg" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
> The general consensus expressed here in the past has been that the
> lightweight ones using a gas canister aren't much use, although the
> big paraffin-powered flame-thrower types are effective against
> shallow-rooted weeds (great fun to use if you're a closet
> pyromaniac!). The important point to remember is that you're not
> attempting to burn the weeds away, just to singe them lightly, to cook
> them, in other words, after which they will collapse and die.
>
> You say weed-killer these days seems to lack guts. Are you being too
> impatient? Glyphosate is a very effective weed-killer, but you have to
> allow it two or three weeks to take effect, and it does kill right to
> the roots, whereas a blast with a flame gun may not deal with the
> deep-rooted weeds and they will sprout again.

Thanks for the davice, I am not being impatient. The weedkiller simply
isnt working. This year so far I have poured several gallons of the stuff
over my weeds. They havent even died and they are growing more vigorously
than ever now ( since the rains). I always do the weed killing job when it
is dry and no rain in sight, so that is not the problem. I just think weed
killer is getting weak. EU rule about not letting oprdinary people use nasty
pestasides ( or a UK rule) - like the one which has given us gutless ,
slimey compost?

Martin Brown

non lue,
23 juin 2012, 03:38:0523/06/2012
Glyphosate will kill any green plant it touches roots included. Takes
about two weeks for full effect so be patient - longer in the cold and
damp summer we are having at the moment. Faster acting things like
Weedol or Pathclear will do specific jobs more quickly and completely.

ISTR one of the more potent persistent weedkillers has been withdrawn
from use in the likes of Pathclear, but that doesn't affect its
immediate effect only how long the path stays weed free.

> Thanks for any advice.

They are a complete waste of time and money unless you are an
Organic(TM) freak and subscribe to the all chemicals are bad scam.
Double irony is that burning weeds *will* make dioxins.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Pete C

non lue,
23 juin 2012, 04:37:0823/06/2012
I have to differ from other opinions. I've had one for three years (Wilco
about 20 quid) and think it's great.
Pete C

Dave Liquorice

non lue,
23 juin 2012, 05:26:0523/06/2012
On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 08:38:05 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

> They are a complete waste of time and money unless you are an
> Organic(TM) freak and subscribe to the all chemicals are bad scam.
> Double irony is that burning weeds *will* make dioxins.

You don't burn the plants with a weed burner though you just waft the flame
over them enough to cause a visble change in colour and/or wilt. The heat
damages the cell structure and the top growth dies. Depending on the plant
that may or may not be enough to kill it.

The small gas cannister "walking stick" things are fine for small weeds
between paving or in gravel but not so good for big weeds or large well
vegitated areas.

Glyphosate is considered "safe" though the stronger concentrates have been
removed from retail sale. They are still available from agri merchants etc.
Cheap generic "Weed killer" you get from a shed will have as much water
(cheap) and as little active ingredient (expensive) in it that they think
they can get away with. Look at the lables...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Jake

non lue,
23 juin 2012, 07:16:1923/06/2012
On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 08:38:05 +0100, Martin Brown
I have one that I picked up in Lidl for under a tenner a few years
ago. It only gets used a couple of times a year but it's great for
cleaning between pavers on the patio and also for a quick belt over
the gravel paths (which are laid on top of membrane so nothing is deep
rooted). I wouldn't use it over soil.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Ethiopian proverb: When spiders unite they can tie down a lion!

Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay. We don't yet have a
"dah dah dah dah dah dah dee" theme tune but we're working on it.

I can't tell an astilbe from an aranthus
but I can from an acanthus!

sweetheart

non lue,
23 juin 2012, 10:01:2523/06/2012

"Dave Liquorice" <allsortsn...@howhill.com> wrote in message
I have been using roundup and weedol even tried the 24 hr fast acting stuff
but its all useless.

I started off with nettles a couple of feet high across the back and was
trying to get at them early b ut now they are 10ft high and have started to
"march" across the lawn as the get bigger and more widespread.

Nothing has worked. I know putting a bonfire on the ground clears it for a
time ( and then they start again.

I have tried smothering the ground with thick carpet but they grow through.

This isn't a few dandelions in the patio - so what is there that will work?
And the green wellie chemical free brigade can come and hike in my stinging
nettles and see how they like it, if they want to object - I am pro anything
that will do the job.

Janet

non lue,
23 juin 2012, 10:15:4223/06/2012
In article <ZcGdnXej4YeoUXjS...@bt.com>, "sweetheart" says...

> I have been using roundup and weedol even tried the 24 hr fast acting stuff
> but its all useless.

Are you following the dilution and application rates accurately?

> I have tried smothering the ground with thick carpet but they grow
through.

What kind of time frame?

Janet

Pete

non lue,
23 juin 2012, 10:35:4923/06/2012

>"Janet" wrote in message
Nettles 10ft high ??????????? !!!!!!!!!!!! -well they will flower then, and
spread by seed.
Sounds like you are in the range of the mini excavator and skip solution.

Pete

Martin Brown

non lue,
23 juin 2012, 12:58:2423/06/2012
The 24 hour fast acting stuff is particularly useless. You want a slow
kill over 2-3 weeks to have maximum effect using a translocating
weedkiller like glyphosate with the least amount of chemicals used.

I have cleared acres of stinging nettle and brambles with glyphosate
followed after it is tinder dry with a slash and burn. Doesn't look
pretty with scorched earth but it gets the job done. The you can pick
off any seedlings as they come up against the dark earth.

> I started off with nettles a couple of feet high across the back and was
> trying to get at them early b ut now they are 10ft high and have started
> to "march" across the lawn as the get bigger and more widespread.

Dunno what you are doing then. I allow nettles to grow in the wilder
parts of my garden as butterfly habitat. Seldom more than 8' high. They
stay put and are relatively easy to prize out with a fork when unwanted
(although I have broken a fork once doing exactly that).

> Nothing has worked. I know putting a bonfire on the ground clears it for
> a time ( and then they start again.
>
> I have tried smothering the ground with thick carpet but they grow through.

It should take them a couple of years though.

> This isn't a few dandelions in the patio - so what is there that will
> work? And the green wellie chemical free brigade can come and hike in my
> stinging nettles and see how they like it, if they want to object - I am
> pro anything that will do the job.

For a small area I would just go for physical removal they are fairly
shallow rooted and the roots are bright yellow so hard to miss.

You don't give any indication of the scale. A few square metres to an
acre I would use a hit of generic B&Q glyphosate (the stuff you buy as
concentrate and dilute to use) with a wand sprayer or backpack.

Do not buy the prediluted stuff. It is vastly overpriced impure water
with a huge profit margin. There is no real skill to mixing your own
weedkiller although failure to mix it up properly might explain your
failures. I am pretty certain everything apart from holly and ivy that I
spray with glyphosate will be dead within three weeks.

Nettles show yellow new growth just after a week and in their weakened
state physical removal becomes fairly easy.Wear gloves and chop the tops
off first to avoid getting stung unnecessarily.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Ophelia

non lue,
23 juin 2012, 13:07:0423/06/2012

"sweetheart" <hotmail.com> wrote in message
I hope not, I just bought glyphosate !

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Jake

non lue,
23 juin 2012, 14:12:0723/06/2012
On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 18:07:04 +0100, "Ophelia" <Oph...@elsinore.me.uk>
wrote:
If anyone wants the super-strength stuff try:

http://tinyurl.com/6ofepdt

Bigger sizes are available. This eBay shop is "owned" by a company up
north somewhere but I can't remember it's name.

Ophelia

non lue,
23 juin 2012, 14:52:1323/06/2012

"Jake" <Nos...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 18:07:04 +0100, "Ophelia" <Oph...@elsinore.me.uk>
> wrote:
>

>>"sweetheart" <hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> A quick question really. Has anyone used one of those weed torch gadgets
>>> ? - they have a gas can and are like a blow torch on a long handle
>>>
>>> I would like to know if they are worth getting , are effective and on
>>> what kind and how big a weed ( or weeds). Are they easy to use?
>>>
>>> I have tried countless times to get rid of all sorts of weeds in my
>>> garden
>>> with weed killer but the stuff seems to lack guts these days and was
>>> wondering if fire might be the answer.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any advice.
>>
>>I hope not, I just bought glyphosate !
>>--
>
> If anyone wants the super-strength stuff try:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6ofepdt
>
> Bigger sizes are available. This eBay shop is "owned" by a company up
> north somewhere but I can't remember it's name.

Now you tell us!!!

We had a look in B&Q and bought a 'Value' weedkiller. "8.4g/litre as a
ready to use aqueous solution"

and a concentrate "which contains 151.4 (13.4%w/w glyphosate as a soluble
concentrate"

(whatever that means)

Will they work or do we have to hire the flames from hell????

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

sweetheart

non lue,
23 juin 2012, 15:03:4123/06/2012

"Janet" <H...@invalid.net> wrote in message
> In article <ZcGdnXej4YeoUXjS...@bt.com>, "sweetheart" says...
>
>> I have been using roundup and weedol even tried the 24 hr fast acting
>> stuff
>> but its all useless.
>
> Are you following the dilution and application rates accurately?

yes, in fact I have even tried using a stronger solution.

>> I have tried smothering the ground with thick carpet but they grow
> through.
>
> What kind of time frame?

The carpet has been on the garden two years. It did supress some smaller
weeds and twitch grass but mostly they have just pushed their way through
in the summer. It was a thick carpet too. I really couldnt believe it.

The commercial ground cover is even more useless.

Since it is stinging nettles and they grow apace in the summer, its getting
out of hand now, I need drastic action.

sweetheart

non lue,
23 juin 2012, 15:06:0123/06/2012

"Pete" <peter....@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

>>"Janet" wrote in message
>
>>In article <ZcGdnXej4YeoUXjS...@bt.com>, "sweetheart" says...
>

> Nettles 10ft high ??????????? !!!!!!!!!!!! -well they will flower then,
> and spread by seed.

Tell me about it, thats how its spreading across the grass ( passes for
lawn) now.

I know they say nettles like a good soil and I guess the Tamar Valley has
some of the best.

> Sounds like you are in the range of the mini excavator and skip solution.

Not sure how that works?

sweetheart

non lue,
23 juin 2012, 15:15:1223/06/2012

"Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 23/06/2012 15:01, sweetheart wrote:
>>
>> "Dave Liquorice" <allsortsn...@howhill.com> wrote in message

> I have cleared acres of stinging nettle and brambles with glyphosate
> followed after it is tinder dry with a slash and burn. Doesn't look pretty
> with scorched earth but it gets the job done. The you can pick off any
> seedlings as they come up against the dark earth.

I have been trying to get this effect - but not succeeded .

> Dunno what you are doing then. I allow nettles to grow in the wilder parts
> of my garden as butterfly habitat. Seldom more than 8' high.

I suggest I have good soil. The kind that grows without even needing
coaxing.

You don't give any indication of the scale.

The majority of the problem is in an area around 100 feet across x 12 feet
deep at the back of the garden - but as I said, it is encroaching on the
rest now. The nettles are so lethel (?) that I cant even get into it at
the moment. Thats why I started earlier before they got a growing hold again
but it doesnt seem to have worked and the weeds are growing better than
ever. Sounds daft but its not a joking matter for me.

A few square metres to an
> acre I would use a hit of generic B&Q glyphosate (the stuff you buy as
> concentrate and dilute to use) with a wand sprayer or backpack.

I will try and have another go at it when the weather comes in dry again.
Thanks.

Janet

non lue,
23 juin 2012, 18:42:2023/06/2012
In article <F8WdnbkDGsGQjnvS...@bt.com>, "sweetheart" says...

> "Janet" <H...@invalid.net> wrote in message
> > In article <ZcGdnXej4YeoUXjS...@bt.com>, "sweetheart" says...
> >
> >> I have been using roundup and weedol even tried the 24 hr fast acting
> >> stuff
> >> but its all useless.
> >
> > Are you following the dilution and application rates accurately?
>
> yes, in fact I have even tried using a stronger solution.
>

> >> I have tried smothering the ground with thick carpet but they grow
> > through.
> >
> > What kind of time frame?
>
> The carpet has been on the garden two years. It did supress some smaller
> weeds and twitch grass but mostly they have just pushed their way through
> in the summer. It was a thick carpet too. I really couldnt believe it.

Frankly neither do I.

IME thick carpet does not degrade that fast, and IME nettle shoots do
not have that japanese knotweed ability to penetrate a solid barrier.

Janet.

Martin Brown

non lue,
24 juin 2012, 03:45:5724/06/2012
On 23/06/2012 20:03, sweetheart wrote:

> "Janet" <H...@invalid.net> wrote in message
>> In article <ZcGdnXej4YeoUXjS...@bt.com>, "sweetheart"
>> says...
>>
>>> I have been using roundup and weedol even tried the 24 hr fast acting
>>> stuff
>>> but its all useless.
>>
>> Are you following the dilution and application rates accurately?
>
> yes, in fact I have even tried using a stronger solution.

It is there that you are going wrong. Paradoxically to get optimum kill
on perennial weeds with big root systems you want to slightly 10-20%
over dilute the glyphosate so that the time for final kill is longer.
That allows more time for the stuff to work its way down to the roots.

If you use it too strong you just burn the tops off without killing any
of the roots and it will quickly regenerate at this time of year. Wastes
chemicals and has exactly the opposite effect of what you intend.

>>> I have tried smothering the ground with thick carpet but they grow
>> through.
>>
>> What kind of time frame?
>
> The carpet has been on the garden two years. It did supress some smaller
> weeds and twitch grass but mostly they have just pushed their way
> through in the summer. It was a thick carpet too. I really couldnt
> believe it.
>
> The commercial ground cover is even more useless.
>
> Since it is stinging nettles and they grow apace in the summer, its
> getting out of hand now, I need drastic action.

I'd suggest a scythe (dangerous to work with) or a sickle. I really
don't understand why you are struggling with nettles so much once you
hack them down any new growth is easily managed with glyphosate.

Horsetails, convolvulus and ground elder are much harder to eradicate.

On the plus side nettles are host to some very pretty butterfly larvae
which is why I do not completely eradicate them from my garden.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Ophelia

non lue,
24 juin 2012, 06:40:0424/06/2012

> It is there that you are going wrong. Paradoxically to get optimum kill on
> perennial weeds with big root systems you want to slightly 10-20% over
> dilute the glyphosate so that the time for final kill is longer. That
> allows more time for the stuff to work its way down to the roots.
>
> If you use it too strong you just burn the tops off without killing any of
> the roots and it will quickly regenerate at this time of year. Wastes
> chemicals and has exactly the opposite effect of what you intend.

Ahh I Didn't Know That!!! Very timely advice:) Thank you!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Janet Tweedy

non lue,
24 juin 2012, 07:29:5024/06/2012
In article <OLKdnS2WrMcJ83jS...@bt.com>, sweetheart
<hotmail.com@?.?.invalid> writes
>>although the
>> big paraffin-powered flame-thrower types are effective against
>> shallow-rooted weeds (great fun to use if you're a closet
>> pyromaniac!).

Oh I do so agree :)

You need a long leg and stout shoe though so you can bash out the flames
if they get a bit carried away on the grass though of course the idea is
to just pass over the weeds and not cremate them.

It's whizzo on dandelion clocks and if you have to go near the back of a
large compost heap where there 'might' be rats :)
--
Janet Tweedy

Baz

non lue,
24 juin 2012, 08:05:0524/06/2012
"sweetheart" <hotmail.com> wrote in
The nettles have most likely been in seed and the seed has blown in the
wind all over the place. They will grow again. When they grow it is VITAL
not to let them seed again. Hoe(not the best idea yet),Dab or spray with
glyphosate when you see any new ones. I think I am right in saying that
some nettles also grow from underground root system so just keep on top
of them with the chemical attack. You will kill the root system, but the
seeds are viable for 20+ years, so next year you can hoe them out in the
knowledge that the root system is dead.

Martin Brown within this thread has suggested over diluting the
glyphosate 10-20%, and I agree, but up to 50%.
Overdosing by my experience is a waste of money and time. I have done it
too!

Baz

Janet

non lue,
24 juin 2012, 08:05:5824/06/2012
In article <pn78FpEu...@lancedal.demon.co.uk>, j...@lancedal.net
says...
I learnt the hard way, to always have a bucket of water on hand before I
fire up the flame gun :-)

Janet B.
Le message a été supprimé
Le message a été supprimé

Janet

non lue,
24 juin 2012, 11:53:2924/06/2012
In article <91deu71n0thmgvlno...@4ax.com>,
Nos...@invalid.invalid says...

> I agree with Chris that the strong likelihood is that Sweetheart is
> doing something wrong.

I suspect Sweetheart's insurmountable, multiple problems are the price
paid for gardening in deep shade under a bridge.

Janet

sweetheart

non lue,
25 juin 2012, 04:24:1825/06/2012

> Virtually everyone on this NG is in agreement that glyphosate,
> correctly applied, will kill most weeds, including deep rooted ones.
> The obvious exception is yourself, which suggests you're doing
> something wrong.
>
> How do you apply the glyphosate? By watering-can or by spray? I ask,
> because the dilutions required are different, the spray requiring a
> significantly higher concentration. Are you by any chance making it up
> at watering-can strength and then spraying it on, although even then I
> would have expected some effect.

I am using a watering can. I do not have a sprayer . I followed the
instructions on the pack.

sweetheart

non lue,
25 juin 2012, 04:27:3225/06/2012

> In article <91deu71n0thmgvlno...@4ax.com>,
> Nos...@invalid.invalid says...
>
> I suspect Sweetheart's insurmountable, multiple problems are the price
> paid for gardening in deep shade under a bridge.

No, its on the side of a valley and its a large garden and I am probably
paying the price for having neglected it for three years through being ill.

I am trying to get it under control now. I did have a gardener in to repair
fences and cut everything down last autemn and earlier in the spring. I
would call him back but I really do not feel able to ask him to tackle the
jungle at the back. Hence I need it under control before I ask him to
maintain it for me.

Then I wont have a problem.

sweetheart

non lue,
25 juin 2012, 04:31:3425/06/2012

"Janet Tweedy" <j...@lancedal.net> wrote in message
> In article <OLKdnS2WrMcJ83jS...@bt.com>, sweetheart
> <hotmail.com@?.?.invalid> writes
>
> It's whizzo on dandelion clocks and if you have to go near the back of a
> large compost heap where there 'might' be rats :)

I have been told by my neighbour who keeps chickens that I have rats on the
back in this wild growth! I haven't seen any but I would reckon they know as
they have rats .I have seen the poison boxes they use when the gardener
fixed my fences.

The nettles here have always grown high. Its not a new thing for me. I just
cant seem to get on top of them. Cremating them would be good! I will
settle for trying another dose of weed killer.

Thanks

mogga

non lue,
25 juin 2012, 05:17:2125/06/2012
We have acquired a weed torch at a car boot yesterday.
The couple used to run a gardening business. They told us it runs on
petrol! It's definitely got petrol in it anyway!

Apart from looking very worn it's much like
http://www.mowermagic.co.uk/acatalog/SHEEN_X-300_Flame_Weeder.html

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Martin Brown

non lue,
25 juin 2012, 05:22:4425/06/2012
That is probably why you are getting lousy results then. And I very much
doubt that you have followed the instructions correctly. Glyphosate is
extremely effective if used properly you have to be doing something
incredibly stupid to prevent it from working.

Against large scale 10' high nettles unless you are standing on a high
step ladder with your watering can you are going to waste most of the
glyphosate on the ground. You did wet the leaves with it didn't you?

Glyphosate is deactivated on contact with the ground so unless it hits
green plant material on the way down you are completely wasting your
time. Invest in a decent shoulder carried sprayer with a wand and then
you can hit them effectively. You have probably already wasted a lot
more than the cost of a cheap sprayer in weedkiller. eg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Litre-Pressure-Sprayer-Shoulder-Strap/dp/B000TAWBBC/ref=pd_cp_lp_0

Or one from any of the sheds. Hozelock's is vastly overpriced. Don't use
too fine a spray or it will drift causing serious collateral damage.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Muddymike

non lue,
25 juin 2012, 05:35:3825/06/2012
>We have acquired a weed torch at a car boot yesterday.
>The couple used to run a gardening business. They told us it runs on
>petrol! It's definitely got petrol in it anyway!
>
>Apart from looking very worn it's much like
>http://www.mowermagic.co.uk/acatalog/SHEEN_X-300_Flame_Weeder.html

More like this perhaps, I run mine on a mix of 20% petrol 80% diesel. I
think its meant to run on paraffin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RMe6bh-zW8

I had a large nettle patch. Cleared it by cutting them down with the pole
hedge cutter, burning once dry, then just mowing the area regularly with a
rotary mower. I added a bit of grass seed in places and its now a reasonably
tidy bit of lawn. The nettles gave up after a seasons regular mowing.

Mike

Martin Brown

non lue,
25 juin 2012, 05:40:2525/06/2012
On 25/06/2012 10:17, mogga wrote:
> We have acquired a weed torch at a car boot yesterday.
> The couple used to run a gardening business. They told us it runs on
> petrol! It's definitely got petrol in it anyway!
>
> Apart from looking very worn it's much like
> http://www.mowermagic.co.uk/acatalog/SHEEN_X-300_Flame_Weeder.html

Be careful! Whilst it might run on petrol I would be very surprised if
it was designed to do so. Petrol is far too volatile. They are usually
intended for a paraffin fuel. See if you can find a makers mark and look
up the instructions online.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

mogga

non lue,
25 juin 2012, 06:22:2025/06/2012
Yes my OH is concerned about the petrol.
Especially having watched a couple of vids!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Dave Liquorice

non lue,
25 juin 2012, 06:18:3225/06/2012
On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 10:22:44 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

> Against large scale 10' high nettles ...

When ever have you seen nettles 10'high? The ones growing around the fruit
bushes will get to 6' to find light but out in the open 3 or 4' is the
maximum.

Nettles don't like being cutdown, even the swathes of nothing but nettles and
a good root matt are much reduced(*) by strimming a couple of times a year.

ie. A few nettles amongst the grass, rather than 100% nettle.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Le message a été supprimé

Martin Brown

non lue,
25 juin 2012, 06:41:1225/06/2012
On 25/06/2012 11:18, Dave Liquorice wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 10:22:44 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:
>
>> Against large scale 10' high nettles ...
>
> When ever have you seen nettles 10'high? The ones growing around the fruit
> bushes will get to 6' to find light but out in the open 3 or 4' is the
> maximum.

I have seen them around 8' high in the shade of river banks. But the OPs
claim was for nettles 10' high. I suspect growing under a bridge ;-)

> Nettles don't like being cutdown, even the swathes of nothing but nettles and
> a good root matt are much reduced(*) by strimming a couple of times a year.
>
> ie. A few nettles amongst the grass, rather than 100% nettle.

I have never had any great bother with nettles myself. I allow them to
grow in the wilder part of the garden to encourage butterflies.

I do have a continuous war of attrition with ground elder which gets
into my herbaceous borders from a neighbouring field and convolvolus
from another but nettles really don't put up much fight if I want rid.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

sweetheart

non lue,
25 juin 2012, 06:46:0125/06/2012

> On 25/06/2012 09:24, sweetheart wrote:
>>
>> "Chris Hogg" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

> Against large scale 10' high nettles unless you are standing on a high
> step ladder with your watering can you are going to waste most of the
> glyphosate on the ground. You did wet the leaves with it didn't you?

Well that is the problem. It is difficult. I have been cutting them down in
patches( using sheers) and then using glyphosate. But the nettles have
almost lethal stings on them! well painful anyway if I get caught.

sweetheart

non lue,
25 juin 2012, 06:48:3025/06/2012

"Dave Liquorice" <allsortsn...@howhill.com> wrote in message
No its all nettles - and yes, they are taller than the average. Everything
grows oversized here. I have some astors I was told would grow three feet
high in the garden - they are giants at nearly six feet too. But that isn't
so bad.

The nettles have benefitted from the wet weather and the good soil I think.

Martin Brown

non lue,
25 juin 2012, 06:56:1425/06/2012
It sounds like you are managing to do just about everything wrong!

The combinations that will work are. Lop them off repeatedly at ground
level with a strimmer, machette or scythe. *Or* apply glyphosate to the
entire plant as is and leave it alone for three weeks to take effect.

Cutting them down and then applying glyphosate is just about the least
effective way of using it. Do one or the other but not both at the same
time. The fastest way is a glyphosate hit, then a slash and burn and
finally physical removal of anything that is left. Spot weeding as
needed to remove regrowth (and be aware there will be nettle seeds in
the ground for decades to come). So you will need to hit it every year
with a hoe or weedkiller to prevent new seedlings growing to big plants.

Once it is tinder dry torch it to zap any seed that has been set and
then keep at it with periodic applications of glyphosate to stop the
stuff growing back. Chrome leather gloves and no exposed bare skin makes
sense when fighting brambles and nettles physically.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

mogga

non lue,
25 juin 2012, 07:29:2325/06/2012
On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:35:14 +0200, Martin <m...@address.invalid> wrote:

>>Yes my OH is concerned about the petrol.
>>Especially having watched a couple of vids!
>
>I'd drain the tank and stick to paraffin or diesel if it will run on

He's looking at emptying the tank on it.
We have paraffin anyway for the greenhouse :)

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Le message a été supprimé

Baz

non lue,
25 juin 2012, 08:43:1625/06/2012
Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in news:imWFr.8587
$3z3....@newsfe01.iad:
I have a paraffin plumbers blowlamp which has to be warmed up with meths to
ignite. It's a bit of an art getting it started but it works nicely. If you
are prepared to get down on all fours to burn the weeds it works.
I have a week off work so after reading this thread thought it would be a
gas!
Aircraft use paraffin as fuel I hear, modified name as kerosene.(with nowt
taken out) and a bit of extra oil. If thats ok. for Concorde, then it's ok
with me.

Baz

Janet

non lue,
25 juin 2012, 09:21:4025/06/2012
In article <f2bgu7d0vot9s29fp...@4ax.com>,
d...@NOSPAMPLEASEmogga.com says...

> We have acquired a weed torch at a car boot yesterday.
> The couple used to run a gardening business. They told us it runs on
> petrol! It's definitely got petrol in it anyway!
>
> Apart from looking very worn it's much like
> http://www.mowermagic.co.uk/acatalog/SHEEN_X-300_Flame_Weeder.html

OMG Do NOT use petrol in it, that would be very dangerous indeed.

They are made to burn parrafin only.

Janet

Janet

non lue,
25 juin 2012, 09:24:2425/06/2012
In article <8fjgu7diknf9koalk...@4ax.com>,
m...@address.invalid says...

> On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:29:23 +0100, mogga <d...@NOSPAMPLEASEmogga.com>
> wrote:

> >>I'd drain the tank and stick to paraffin or diesel if it will run on
> >
> >He's looking at emptying the tank on it.
> >We have paraffin anyway for the greenhouse :)
>
> I think people recommended diesel because it is cheaper than the
> paraffin sold in hardware stores in 4 litre plastic containers.

They recommended central heating oil.

Janet

Ophelia

non lue,
25 juin 2012, 10:07:0425/06/2012

> Cutting them down and then applying glyphosate is just about the least
> effective way of using it. Do one or the other but not both at the same
> time. The fastest way is a glyphosate hit, then a slash and burn and
> finally physical removal of anything that is left. Spot weeding as needed
> to remove regrowth (and be aware there will be nettle seeds in the ground
> for decades to come). So you will need to hit it every year with a hoe or
> weedkiller to prevent new seedlings growing to big plants.

I am learning about glyphosate and I have a question. If one cuts down all
the weeds, and waits for the new shoots and then spray those shoots, would
that be an effective way to treat them?

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Le message a été supprimé

Ophelia

non lue,
25 juin 2012, 10:26:5025/06/2012

"Martin" <m...@address.invalid> wrote in message
> If you wait until they have leaves, yes.

That was my plan <g>

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Le message a été supprimé

Martin Brown

non lue,
25 juin 2012, 11:31:3625/06/2012
It would work, but so would spraying the leaves and growing points of
the weeds and is less effort. You need to hit actively growing material
and the soft new growth absorbs more weedkiller. Cutting it down just
means you have to wait for some regrowth before using the weedkiller.

I have found that hitting stuff with glyphosate and then leaving them to
become tinder dry followed by a burn is about the most complete way to
regain control of wilderness. Talking waist high and above mixture of
brambles, nettles and miscellaneous thorny shrubs here.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Ophelia

non lue,
25 juin 2012, 16:33:0625/06/2012

"Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
Thanks, Martin. Noted with appreciation. Ours are not waist high so I
think your method might be easier:)

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Janet Tweedy

non lue,
25 juin 2012, 18:40:3825/06/2012
In article <us6dncWsxY1ovXXS...@bt.com>, sweetheart
<hotmail.com@?.?.invalid> writes
>I am trying to get it under control now. I did have a gardener in to
>repair fences and cut everything down last autemn and earlier in the
>spring. I would call him back but I really do not feel able to ask
>him to tackle the jungle at the back. Hence I need it under control
>before I ask him to maintain it for me.
>
>Then I wont have a problem.

Rather than weed killer why not hire a good strong strimmer, or rather a
petrol driven one. Then go in and cut all the vegetation down to ground
level. It will stop the seeds falling, the plant spreading very fast and
any young growth you can knock out much easier with wweedkiller then.

nettles make very good compost too.
--
Janet Tweedy
Le message a été supprimé

Janet Tweedy

non lue,
27 juin 2012, 17:40:2927/06/2012
In article <ifXFr.37324$hJ3....@newsfe14.iad>, Martin Brown
<|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> writes
>I do have a continuous war of attrition with ground elder

Oh I know the feeling !! gets everywhere and you can work really hard
for a whole season digging out every bit and it seems to come back as
healthy the following year.
--
Janet Tweedy

Janet Tweedy

non lue,
27 juin 2012, 17:42:1327/06/2012
In article <F6edndrbI6f03HXS...@bt.com>, sweetheart
<hotmail.com@?.?.invalid> writes
>Well that is the problem. It is difficult. I have been cutting them
>down in patches( using sheers) and then using glyphosate. But the
>nettles have almost lethal stings on them! well painful anyway if I get
>caught.

You'd be better off either going over them with a lawn mower or
walloping them down with a broom and damaging the stems, then when they
are trodden down and bruised apply the weed killer to them.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Janet Tweedy

non lue,
27 juin 2012, 17:43:5227/06/2012
In article <rKCdnbOTHb6ZrHXS...@brightview.com>, Muddymike
<mudd...@mattishall.org.uk> writes
>More like this perhaps, I run mine on a mix of 20% petrol 80% diesel. I
>think its meant to run on paraffin.

Yes Sheen guns run on paraffin

vi...@dinky.vm.bytemark.co.uk

non lue,
27 juin 2012, 18:04:0527/06/2012
Janet Tweedy <j...@lancedal.net> wrote:
>>I do have a continuous war of attrition with ground elder
>
> Oh I know the feeling !! gets everywhere and you can work really hard
> for a whole season digging out every bit and it seems to come back as
> healthy the following year.

I hate the fact that it (and creeping buttercup!) manages to blend in
really well with the strawberries

Alan Holmes

non lue,
3 juil. 2012, 13:51:5103/07/2012

"sweetheart" <hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> A quick question really. Has anyone used one of those weed torch gadgets
> ? - they have a gas can and are like a blow torch on a long handle
>
> I would like to know if they are worth getting , are effective and on
> what kind and how big a weed ( or weeds). Are they easy to use?
>
> I have tried countless times to get rid of all sorts of weeds in my garden
> with weed killer but the stuff seems to lack guts these days and was
> wondering if fire might be the answer.

I tried a blow torch which was a torch powered by a large gas cylinder, but
it did not do any permanent damage to the weeds, they just grew back again
after a while, I have put my faith in weedfillers, but you have to choose
the right one they do not all work very well, I'm currently using Roundup
which seems to have killed the couch grass down to the roots, so I shall
continue with that untill it all grows back again!

Alan

Alan Holmes

non lue,
3 juil. 2012, 14:12:5803/07/2012

> In article <F6edndrbI6f03HXS...@bt.com>, sweetheart
> <hotmail.com@?.?.invalid> writes
>>Well that is the problem. It is difficult. I have been cutting them down
>>in patches( using sheers) and then using glyphosate. But the nettles have
>>almost lethal stings on them! well painful anyway if I get caught.
>

> You'd be better off either going over them with a lawn mower or walloping
> them down with a broom and damaging the stems, then when they are trodden
> down and bruised apply the weed killer to them.

I don't think that would work very well as you need to soak the leaves to
make the weedkiller effective.

Alan

Janet Tweedy

non lue,
3 juil. 2012, 19:12:1503/07/2012
In article <ICGIr.338876$iR.2...@fx15.am4>, Alan Holmes
<alan.h...@virgin.net> writes
>I don't think that would work very well as you need to soak the leaves to
>make the weedkiller effective.
>
>Alan

Alan I've always been led to believe that bruising the leaves means the
weed killer gets into the system better?

Also she says that she can't get to them as they are so tall so at least
this way she can get to the back of them.

Janet

Martin Brown

non lue,
4 juil. 2012, 03:14:3304/07/2012
On 04/07/2012 00:12, Janet Tweedy wrote:
> In article <ICGIr.338876$iR.2...@fx15.am4>, Alan Holmes
> <alan.h...@virgin.net> writes
>> I don't think that would work very well as you need to soak the leaves to
>> make the weedkiller effective.
>>
>> Alan
>

> Alan I've always been led to believe that bruising the leaves means the
> weed killer gets into the system better?
>
> Also she says that she can't get to them as they are so tall so at least
> this way she can get to the back of them.

It only really matters for things that are water repellent and either
have very waxy outer coats (like ivy or holly) or a silica exoskeleton
(like equisetums).

Most normal green plants are toast when you hit them with glyphosate and
if you make a mistake you need to cut the affected part off PDQ.

The mistake the OP seemed to be making was chopping everything down and
then applying glyphosate to what was left. This is about the worst
possible way to use it and wastes most of the active ingredient.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

0 nouveau message