Ants, ants and more ants, can anyone lend me thier pet ant eater?

R6 Biker

Jul 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/3/00

I'm not much of a gardener but do like to keep it looking nice.

However my biggest problem is ants (red ones) spoiling my lawn and creating
nests bringing up the soil.

Can anyone offer any good advice as to how I could get rid of them once and
for all?

I've tried powder which didn't seen to have any affect and it looked
unsightly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Ian

trevor.appleton

Jul 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/3/00
This area (Driffield , East Yorkshire) is notorious for ants. I spent 10
minutes planting out gypsophila on Sunday and dug up three nests. Every pot
or paving slab has a nest under it, but they tell me however many I kill,
more will just come in to replace them. It just makes sitting on the lawn
out of the question from Apriol to October.

Would also like to hear of remedies.

(I was told they dislike lemon and will move away from it, has anyone with a
bad ant problem tried it?)

"R6 Biker" <Ijho...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

M K Rogerson

Jul 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/3/00

R6 Biker <Ijho...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm not much of a gardener but do like to keep it looking nice.
>
> However my biggest problem is ants (red ones) spoiling my lawn and
creating
> nests bringing up the soil.
>
> Can anyone offer any good advice as to how I could get rid of them once
and
> for all?
>
> I've tried powder which didn't seen to have any affect and it looked
> unsightly.
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Powders like Nippon will control numbers to an acceptable level but you will
not rid your garden of them, which is probably, on balance, a good thing.
Many will tell you to leave them alone they're doing you no harm. I'm afraid
having been bitten many times after accidentally disturbing their nests in
my own garden I advocate the use of deadly force in any area you want to
sit/lie during the summer months. Black ants I leave alone unless they are
raising the soil through my much loved Alpine cushion plants.

Martin R

Alan Gabriel

Jul 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/3/00

R6 Biker <Ijho...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm not much of a gardener but do like to keep it looking nice.
>
> However my biggest problem is ants (red ones) spoiling my lawn and
creating
> nests bringing up the soil.
>
> Can anyone offer any good advice as to how I could get rid of them once
and
> for all?
>
> I've tried powder which didn't seen to have any affect and it looked
> unsightly.
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated
>
> Regards
>
> Ian

If ants survived the bomb on Hiroshima, what chance do we have with ant
powder? I have tried for years to get rid of them with limited success.

If possible break open the nest and use ant powder or boiling water.

--
Alan Gabriel

Judith Lea

Jul 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/4/00
In article <8jqjep$sm1$1...@neptunium.btinternet.com>, R6 Biker
<Ijho...@btinternet.com> writes

>Can anyone offer any good advice as to how I could get rid of them once and
>for all?

I don't think you really mean to get rid of them completely as the are
quite a necessary addition to your garden.

However, as one who has been bitten and crawled over many time, I find
the easiest way is to just lift a bit of turf with a spade, pout boiling water
into the nest and then pop the turf back on again. You won't get rid of
ants completely but at least you will be able to lay on the lawn again.

--
Judith Lea

Jill Bell

Jul 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/4/00
In article <ll5PfGAk...@demon.co.uk>, Judith Lea
<l...@nanime.demon.co.uk> writes

> pout boiling water
>into the nest and then pop the turf back on again.

My Dad used to swear by a dose of lighter fuel and a match.

(New twist on the old joke...how do you make a cat/ant go woof!)

Jill
--
ji...@bellsbarn.demon.co.uk

cormaic

Jul 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/5/00
'Twas Tue, 4 Jul 2000 10:47:16 +0100, when Judith Lea
<l...@nanime.demon.co.uk> enriched all our lives with these words:

>However, as one who has been bitten and crawled over many time,

Are we still talking ants, here, Judith? I have this mental
image of you, prostrate on the deck after another of your little
mishaps, writhing in agony, calling for Edward and then an army of
ants marches across your face.....It could only happen to you! :~)

--
cormaic Garden - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/garden/
Culcheth Paving - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/paving/

cormaic CAN BE FOUND AT tmac.clara.co.uk

Judith Lea

Jul 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/5/00
In article <n5o4msgupg2m8n73u...@4ax.com>,
cormaic <cor...@NOSPAMTODAYTHANKStmac.clara.net> writes

> Are we still talking ants, here, Judith?

Naughty!

> I have this mental
>image of you, prostrate on the deck after another of your little
>mishaps,

You are not far off the mark there. Some years ago we were on a little
uninhabited island off the Cote D'Azure and there were naturists there.
Well says I with my best prude voice, "tut, tut, honestly they deserve to
get a burnt bottom exposing it like that!!" At that EXACT moment, I
absentmindedly scrated my upper leg which had a slight itch and found
my bottom heaving with ants, big ones that bit.

To cut a short story even shorter, a very pink in the face prude woman
was seen running with an even redder behind, quite bare for all to view.
In my effort to get the heaving hoard off me, I took off my bikini and
legged it into the sea.

Moral, never tut tut again.

--
Judith Lea

John Neale Baraclough

Jul 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/5/00
The message <ccuRhTA52yY5Ew$6...@demon.co.uk>
from Judith Lea <l...@nanime.demon.co.uk> contains these words:

> cormaic <cor...@NOSPAMTODAYTHANKStmac.clara.net> writes

> > I have this mental
> >image of you, prostrate on the deck after another of your little
> >mishaps,

> To cut a short story even shorter, a very pink in the face prude woman

> was seen running with an even redder behind, quite bare for all to view.
> In my effort to get the heaving hoard off me, I took off my bikini and
> legged it into the sea.

an even more vivid mental picture, Judith :-) One of many to treasure.

Janet

--
janet.a...@zetnet.co.uk

Clive Lea-Swain

Jul 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/6/00

R6 Biker wrote in message <8jqjep$sm1$1...@neptunium.btinternet.com>...

>Hi,
>
>I'm not much of a gardener but do like to keep it looking nice.
>
>However my biggest problem is ants (red ones) spoiling my lawn and creating
>nests bringing up the soil.
>
>Can anyone offer any good advice as to how I could get rid of them once and
>for all?
>
>I've tried powder which didn't seen to have any affect and it looked
>unsightly.
>
>Any advice would be greatly appreciated
>
>Regards
>
>Ian

If you water the nest with a solution of Jeyes Fluid they with leave you
alone. I don't know weather they die just b**r off but it does shift them
and it does not harm the lawn. I have tried it and it has worked for me. I
bought a tin and the instructions for use were great, I now use it to clean
my greenhouse, sterilise soil and wash my Dahlia tubers, there are many
other uses too.
Cheers Clive.>

Karen.Mountford

Jul 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/7/00
"trevor.appleton" wrote:

> This area (Driffield , East Yorkshire) is notorious for ants. I spent 10
> minutes planting out gypsophila on Sunday and dug up three nests. Every pot
> or paving slab has a nest under it, but they tell me however many I kill,
> more will just come in to replace them. It just makes sitting on the lawn
> out of the question from Apriol to October.
>
> Would also like to hear of remedies.
>
> (I was told they dislike lemon and will move away from it, has anyone with a
> bad ant problem tried it?)
>

> "R6 Biker" <Ijho...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm not much of a gardener but do like to keep it looking nice.
> >
> > However my biggest problem is ants (red ones) spoiling my lawn and
> creating
> > nests bringing up the soil.
> >
> > Can anyone offer any good advice as to how I could get rid of them once
> and
> > for all?
> >
> > I've tried powder which didn't seen to have any affect and it looked
> > unsightly.
> >
> > Any advice would be greatly appreciated
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Ian

Does vaseline smeared around each leg of chairs etc deter them? Maybe you need
to give up on the blanket/towel and invest in a lounger or two. In Africa they
are recommending washing mosquito nets in a solution of pyrethrum, I wonder if
this would work on a blanket?

Karen (Coastal Suffolk)
Remove "Greenweed" to e-mail

Julie White

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00
On Thu, 6 Jul 2000 20:02:19 +0100, "Clive Lea-Swain"
<cl...@lea-swain.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>If you water the nest with a solution of Jeyes Fluid they with leave you
>alone. I don't know weather they die just b**r off but it does shift them
>and it does not harm the lawn. I have tried it and it has worked for me. I
>bought a tin and the instructions for use were great, I now use it to clean
>my greenhouse, sterilise soil and wash my Dahlia tubers, there are many
>other uses too.

I have been advised to use Jeyes fluid (in winter) on the soil
surrounding my roses and pyracantha (I think they both have black
spot).

Trouble is, there are ivies as ground cover, and bluebell bulbs
underneath - how will they appreciate me pouring Jeyes fluid over
them?

Julie White
Īø,ļ_ļ,øĪ°`°Īø,ļ_ļ,øĪ°°Īø,ļ_ļ,øĪ°`°Īø,ļ_ļ,øĪ°°Īø,ļ_ļ,øĪ°`°Īø,ļ
Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere !!
Īø,ļ_ļ,øĪ°`°Īø,ļ_ļ,øĪ°°Īø,ļ_ļ,øĪ°`°Īø,ļ_ļ,øĪ°°Īø,ļ_ļ,øĪ°`°Īø

Robert Davies

Jul 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/11/00
In article <9jbjms0oimp5q9kn6...@4ax.com>, Julie White
<ju...@kitefliers.co.uk> wrote:

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000 20:02:19 +0100, "Clive Lea-Swain"
<cl...@lea-swain.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>If you water the nest with a solution of Jeyes Fluid they with leave
you
>alone. I don't know weather they die just b**r off but it does shift
them
>and it does not harm the lawn. I have tried it and it has worked for
me. I
>bought a tin and the instructions for use were great, I now use it to
clean
>my greenhouse, sterilise soil and wash my Dahlia tubers, there are
many
>other uses too.

I have been advised to use Jeyes fluid (in winter) on the soil
surrounding my roses and pyracantha (I think they both have black
spot).

Trouble is, there are ivies as ground cover, and bluebell bulbs
underneath - how will they appreciate me pouring Jeyes fluid over
them?

Julie White
óÀ,Ÿ_Ÿ,ÀóÁ`ÁóÀ,Ÿ_Ÿ,ÀóÁÁóÀ,Ÿ_Ÿ,ÀóÁ`ÁóÀ,Ÿ_Ÿ,ÀóÁÁóÀ,Ÿ_Ÿ,ÀóÁ`ÁóÀ,Ÿ

Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere !!

óÀ,Ÿ_Ÿ,ÀóÁ`ÁóÀ,Ÿ_Ÿ,ÀóÁÁóÀ,Ÿ_Ÿ,ÀóÁ`ÁóÀ,Ÿ_Ÿ,ÀóÁÁóÀ,Ÿ_Ÿ,ÀóÁ`ÁóÀ

I read somewhere that Jeyes Fluid is deadly poison to cats, which has
put me off using it to clean the patio any more (though I did in years
past and the moggy always survived). Any truth in this, does anyone
know?

Martyn R Arnold

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
I don't know the answer, but decendents of the Mr.Jeyes who invented it
and are still chemists and live in Earls barton. You can email them at
jeyes_ea...@yahoo.com. They have lots of old books etc. about the
product.

Earls Barton is at
http://www.northamptonshire.co.uk/guides/earlsbarton/

Martyn

who always lurks but never posts 'cos he just digs where he's told to
and mows the grass

--
Martyn R Arnold
Arnold & Co Internet

Helena Moone

Jan 31, 2024, 3:45:08 AMJan 31

✅🔴▶️▶ Really Amazing ️You Can Try This ◀️◀️🔴✅

✅▶️▶️ CLICK HERE Full HD✅720p✅1080p✅4K✅

WATCH ✅💻📺📱👉https://co.fastmovies.org

ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ ✅📺📱💻👉https://co.fastmovies.org

🔴WATCH>>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org

✅WATCH>>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org

💚WATCH>>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org

🔴💚 Really Amazing ️You Can Try This💚ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ LINK
👉https://co.fastmovies.org

🔴💚CLICK HERE Full HD✅720p✅1080p✅4K💚WATCH💚ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ LINK