Question about plastic under gravel

JoeC

Aug 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/22/99
I'm creating some paths which will be about 3 or 4 inches deep of gravel. To
discourage weeds I plan to put plastic sheeting underneath.
Is there a special type of plastic recommended and if so, would I typically
be able to find it in a garden centre, or should I be looking at the diy
stores?

I know the plastic should be porous to stop water accumulating, but I am
looking for a better and hopefully longer-lived solution than bin liners
with holes punched through them. Unless someone can tell me that is a good
way to go!
Something like pond liner has occurred to me, but as that is meant to hold
water in, it seems like an expensive solution to buy that and then puncture
it!

Thanks
Joe

Badger

Aug 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/22/99
Hi
We use a product called terram (not sure about the spelling) which is a
woven plastic sheet designed for just this sort of use but it comes on rolls
about 10 or 12 feet wide and 50 or 100 feet long so there might be a bit
more than you need :-) You could try some of your local landscapers and
nurseries to see if they have a spare bit nocking about. It wont stop all
the weeds because some root in the gravel but it sure makes life easier.

--
Pete The Gardener
A room without books is like a body without a soul.

pete_the...@yahoo.co.uk

JoeC <joeci...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Jackie McGuire

Aug 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/22/99
Another type of sheeting is called mypex.
Jackie

abacusnurseries.freeserve.co,uk

Aug 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/22/99
Try LBS they do some of these products by the meter.
www.lbs-group.co.uk
If you put polythene down, not only will it not let water through but it
can be very slippery with gravel on top.

--
David.....S.Wales
For Quality dahlias have a look at:- http://www.swig-online.co.uk/abacus/

Robert Hobden

Aug 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/22/99
Garden Centres do a similar thing (of very inferior quality to that) and
only a metre wide which could fit the bill.

Bob

Badger <pe...@gardenernospam18.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

r4ssf66d5e

Aug 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/22/99
When you have your grav delivered in one of those one ton plastic/nylon
sacks cut that up and use as weed barrier. they are porous so you wont get
puddles but stop the weeds. it may be that you paid a deposit on it . my
suppliers bags are now non returnable

Cheaper then pond liner
Russell

Chris French and Helen Johnson

Aug 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/23/99
In article <7ppi95$4ec$1...@news4.svr.pol.co.uk>, JoeC
<joeci...@hotmail.com> writes

>I'm creating some paths which will be about 3 or 4 inches deep of gravel. To
>discourage weeds I plan to put plastic sheeting underneath.
>Is there a special type of plastic recommended a

Well Cormaic will probably say it isn't necessary, but we've found it
useful under the paths around the veg beds (underneath home made
chippings)

It's called permeable membrane.
we bought ours from Plastics by Post, I think LBS probably sell it as
well. Both in the FAQ (see sig)
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

Pat Brookes

Aug 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/23/99
In article <7ppi95$4ec$1...@news4.svr.pol.co.uk>, joeci...@hotmail.com says...

>I'm creating some paths which will be about 3 or 4 inches deep of gravel. To
>discourage weeds I plan to put plastic sheeting underneath.
>Is there a special type of plastic recommended .....

Two words.

LBS and Phormisol.

That's LBS horticultural supplies
And Phormisol woven horticultural membrane - water passes straight through
and prevents weeds coming up.
Expect to pay around forty quid for a hundred metres of the one metre wide
stuff. Okay I know that with a good depth of gravel you shouldn't need it but
that depends on the nature of plants bordering your paths ....
You can buy it from "garden centres" by the metre but as some one else has said
ask at a local nursery for offcuts or even used stuff.

HTH

Pat

r4ssf66d5e

Aug 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/23/99
use the large one ton plastic bags they deliver your gravel in-theyre strong
and porous and will keep your path weedfree
even if yoiu have to pay a deposit for it it's cheaper than the proper liner

Russell

JoeC wrote in message <7ppi95$4ec$1...@news4.svr.pol.co.uk>...

>I'm creating some paths which will be about 3 or 4 inches deep of gravel.
>discourage weeds I plan to put plastic sheeting underneath.

JoeC

Aug 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/23/99

JoeC <joeci...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm creating some paths which will be about 3 or 4 inches deep of gravel.
> discourage weeds I plan to put plastic sheeting underneath.
> Is there a special type of plastic recommended and if so, would I
typically
> be able to find it in a garden centre, or should I be looking at the diy
> stores?
>
> I know the plastic should be porous to stop water accumulating, but I am
> looking for a better and hopefully longer-lived solution than bin liners
> with holes punched through them. Unless someone can tell me that is a good
> way to go!
> Something like pond liner has occurred to me, but as that is meant to hold
> water in, it seems like an expensive solution to buy that and then
puncture
> it!

Thanks to all, I found some woven permeable fabric at a garden centre, just
for this purpose, Didnt have a trade name on it, but it was aimed at exactly
this type of use.
Now, all I have to do is hope I wont be plagued with the other problem I saw
mentioned here, 'cat poo on gravel' !
Hopefully my gravel is large and sharp enough to be a deterrent.
If not, its either chicken wire, or my patent shotgun, piece of string and
can of whiskas setup!

cormaic

Aug 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/23/99
'Twas Mon, 23 Aug 1999 00:15:46 +0100, when Chris French and Helen
Johnson <news...@spennithorne.demon.co.uk> enriched all our lives
with these words:

>Well Cormaic will probably say it isn't necessary, but we've found it
>useful under the paths around the veg beds (underneath home made
>chippings)

It *isn't* necessary. It has it's uses on large, commercial or
public lanscape jobs, but is nowt but over-engineering in a garden.

--
cormaic Garden - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/cormaic/garden/garden.htm
Culcheth Paving - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/paving2.htm

cormaic CAN BE FOUND AT tmac.clara.co.uk

Michael `Mike` Crowe

Aug 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/24/99
In article <7ppi95$4ec$1...@news4.svr.pol.co.uk>, JoeC
<joeci...@hotmail.com> writes
>I'm creating some paths which will be about 3 or 4 inches deep of gravel.

So far no-one has picked up on the depth of gravel. I did a drive in one
of my houses at this depth and it was terrible to walk on and to push a
wheel barrow over. However I have just within the last few weeks
converted most of my paths to gravel, (few more yards to do) by putting
2 inches of hardcore well rolled, layer of soft stuff, [sand gravel and
brick dust which went through the seive], raked and rolled, raked and
rolled, raked and rolled, then less 1 inch of pea gravel, raked and
rolled and raked again. Very firm to walk on and no problem with the
wheel barrow.
Weeds will not be a problem for a while, and even then they pull out
easily and/or spray, CAREFULLY. No plastic.

But I still think the depth quoted is too deep for comfort.

Mike

Michael `Mike` Crowe R.N. Shipmates
Never been to a Royal Navy reunion since leaving the `Andrew`?
Email me for details of one where you will be made very welcome.
Meet like minded `oppos`. Come round for `Grounders`

cormaic

Aug 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/24/99
'Twas Tue, 24 Aug 1999 09:06:16 +0100, when Michael `Mike` Crowe
<mike...@mikecrowe.demon.co.uk> enriched all our lives with these
words:

>So far no-one has picked up on the depth of gravel.
8<---S-N-I-P--->8

>But I still think the depth quoted is too deep for comfort.

The construction spec. I give, and the one shown on my site,
suggest 30-50mm of gravel over a suitable sub-base. Anything over 50mm
is a trap, leads to spraying and is tiring to walk across.

JoeC

Aug 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/25/99

cormaic <cor...@NOSPAMTODAYTHANKStmac.clara.net> wrote in message

> 'Twas Tue, 24 Aug 1999 09:06:16 +0100, when Michael `Mike` Crowe
> <mike...@mikecrowe.demon.co.uk> enriched all our lives with these
> words:
>
> >So far no-one has picked up on the depth of gravel.
> 8<---S-N-I-P--->8
> >
> >But I still think the depth quoted is too deep for comfort.
> >
> The construction spec. I give, and the one shown on my site,
> suggest 30-50mm of gravel over a suitable sub-base. Anything over 50mm
> is a trap, leads to spraying and is tiring to walk across.

Thanks for the advice. This is a very infrequently travelled area & path, so
a bit of depth will probably not be a problem. My main reasoning was to make
it esay toi pull weeds up by keeping them away from the soil, and I
certainly will not be moving wheelbarrows or anything else with wheels
across it. I've got the gravel so it all depends how deep it spreads,
usually it never goes as far as you think!

Joe

cormaic

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
'Twas Wed, 25 Aug 1999 20:43:03 +0100, when "JoeC"
<joeci...@hotmail.com> enriched all our lives with these words:

>Thanks for the advice. This is a very infrequently travelled area & path, so
>a bit of depth will probably not be a problem. My main reasoning was to make
>it esay toi pull weeds up by keeping them away from the soil, and I
>certainly will not be moving wheelbarrows or anything else with wheels
>across it. I've got the gravel so it all depends how deep it spreads,
>usually it never goes as far as you think!

12-17 m2 per tonne at 40mm.

Anthony Milne

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
You might consider weed exclusion matting. This is a porous membrane which is
black and has a random weave which lets the water and air into the soil but
prevents weeds growing through.

You can buy it in pre pack lengths of 5 or 10 metres or we have it featured in
our mail order catalogue (1.5m wide sold by the linear metre).

If you would like a catalogue please email me at sa...@queenswood.co.uk.

Tony Milne BSc MBA
(Managing Director - Queenswood Garden Products)

JoeC wrote:

> I'm creating some paths which will be about 3 or 4 inches deep of gravel. To

> discourage weeds I plan to put plastic sheeting underneath.
> Is there a special type of plastic recommended and if so, would I typically
> be able to find it in a garden centre, or should I be looking at the diy
> stores?
>
> I know the plastic should be porous to stop water accumulating, but I am
> looking for a better and hopefully longer-lived solution than bin liners
> with holes punched through them. Unless someone can tell me that is a good
> way to go!
> Something like pond liner has occurred to me, but as that is meant to hold
> water in, it seems like an expensive solution to buy that and then puncture
> it!
>
> Thanks

> Joe

Mary Sinclair

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99
The material you are looking comes under various names but the one I know is
phormisol and it comes in several different widths starting at 1 metre wide
. A garden centre or D I Y store could stock it .
It is a woven material so lets the water through. If you have a problem
obtaining it get in touch and I will try to help you. Mary