Protea shedding leaves

dg

Jun 24, 2002, 6:42:36 PM6/24/02
I bought a King Protea a few months ago and recently many of the larger
leaves are turning red/yellow and falling off the stems. This appears to be
affecting the leaves lower down at the moment, but newer leaves are not
affected. It is in a pot in full sun.

Is this normal? Is it a sign of too much/little water or lack of food?

I have not fed it yet as I am looking for the appropriate food.

cheers

dg

Clarke Brunt

Jun 25, 2002, 5:22:10 AM6/25/02
dg wrote in message ...

I haven't got the answer! They seem to be touchy things. Over the years,
I have grown a number from seed from Silverhill Seeds
http://www.silverhillseeds.co.za/, but most lacked the will to live
under my conditions. I still have 4 plants of the King Protea (P.
cynaroides) which are doing reasonably well, and 2 P. speciosa which are
struggling.

They are supposed to require fertiliser with almost zero Phosphate (the
'P' in the NPK constituents). Chempak (and no doubt others) sell one.
[Unless it's improved: not very good website at
http://www.chempak.co.uk/ - see especially mysterious link to 'Tracy' at
the bottom!] I've heard it said that truly zero Phosphate isn't any good
either, causing the plants to grow roots to seek out what there is, and
becoming over-sensitive the next time they get some. I pot mine in
mixtures involving e.g. peat, bark chips, Hydroleca granules, sand,
grit, pehaps a little John Innes soil (but not very much, because of
Phosphate content).

Perhaps the leaf-loss is natural (mine seem to have phases of doing
this). They don't seem to mind dryness within reason, so I doubt that it
is shortage of water.

So: does anyone out there actually really succeed with these things, and
what do you do?

--
Clarke Brunt

Natalie

Jun 26, 2002, 1:49:27 AM6/26/02

"Clarke Brunt" <cla...@lsl.co.uk> wrote in message

Trevena Cross in Cornwall are a Nursery that propagate & sell a whole
variety of Proteas. Maybe you should contact them and ask their advice?
I'll be interested to know their reaction as I am intending to visit their
nursery this summer with the view to purchasing a Protea or two.

http://www.trevenacross.co.uk

They'll also be showing at Hampton Court and Tatton.

Natalie

Natalie

Jun 26, 2002, 1:58:29 AM6/26/02

> > They are supposed to require fertiliser with almost zero Phosphate (the
> > 'P' in the NPK constituents). Chempak (and no doubt others) sell one.

> > Perhaps the leaf-loss is natural (mine seem to have phases of doing
> > this). They don't seem to mind dryness within reason, so I doubt that it
> > is shortage of water.
> >
> > So: does anyone out there actually really succeed with these things, and
> > what do you do?
>
> Trevena Cross in Cornwall are a Nursery that propagate & sell a whole
> variety of Proteas. Maybe you should contact them and ask their advice?
> I'll be interested to know their reaction as I am intending to visit their
> nursery this summer with the view to purchasing a Protea or two.
>
> http://www.trevenacross.co.uk
>
> They'll also be showing at Hampton Court and Tatton.

This is what Trevena Cross say on their website.

Protea cynaroides (King Protea)
Huge pink-crimson to cream flowers in the spring. An evergreen shrub with a
height 1.5 to 2m. Plant in full sun in a very well drained acid soil. Do not
use fertiliser. Can tolerate about minus 5 degrees C. One of the easiest
Proteas to grow. If frosted should regrow from the base. Can be grown in a
large tub and given protection in the winter. Normal size plants 8.95,
Medium 16.50, Large 25.00 We also have these plants in plastic terracotta
effect pots. Ideal for placing on the patio or for a gift. These plants
really look great. Three sizes available 10 litre 19.95, 18 litre 29.95, 36
litre 49.95
Price each - £16.50

Natalie

Chris Hogg

Jun 26, 2002, 1:11:18 PM6/26/02

I grow proteas etc. from seed from Chiltern and the SA Bot.Soc. The
g/h is full of seedlings of proteas, leucospermums and a couple of
leucodendrons at the moment, all about 4 inches high.

Not sure about the leaf-drop, but any evergreen will tend to drop its
lower leaves as it gets older.

Proteas like a very poor, free draining soil. A recommended mix is 3
parts very gritty sand (or a sand/perlite mix), 1 part peat, 1 part
acid soil. They will tolerate a certain amount of dryness at the
roots, but don't like being over-watered IME, so less water rather
than more is my rule. I find that many commercially supplied South
African plants are potted in the usual high-peat mix, which I find can
be too moisture retentive in some cases.

I'm also careful not to have the _pot_ in full sun, as I don't think
the roots like being baked, although the foliage is quite happy in
sunshine. I plunge the larger pots I have in a sunny flowerbed, with a
generous handful of grit into the hole before I put the pot in, to
help the drainage.

You're right to mention fertiliser. Proteas hate phosphate, and it can
kill them. They don't like too much of anything, having roots
specially designed to take up the minute traces of nourishment in
their very lean soils. It's easy to burn these roots. I occasionally
give mine a small pinch of sulphate of ammonia, potassium sulphate and
magnesium sulphate (the last because mine sometimes show chlorosis),
and a sparse sprinkle of granular sequestered iron and trace elements
about twice a year (Chempak do the granulated form).

Trevena Cross nurseries in Cornwall (www.trevenacross.co.uk , e-mail
sa...@trevenacross.co.uk) used to sell a granular slow-release
fertiliser specifically for proteaceae of all types. Looks like
Osmocote. They sell plants by mail order, so you should be able to get
the fertiliser that way, if they still sell it. You can but ask. They
also do a couple of booklets on growing proteas.
--
Chris
De-* virgin for e-mail reply

Natalie

Jun 26, 2002, 1:38:54 PM6/26/02

> Trevena Cross nurseries in Cornwall (www.trevenacross.co.uk , e-mail
> sa...@trevenacross.co.uk) used to sell a granular slow-release
> fertiliser specifically for proteaceae of all types. Looks like
> Osmocote. They sell plants by mail order, so you should be able to get
> the fertiliser that way, if they still sell it. You can but ask. They
> also do a couple of booklets on growing proteas.

I noticed that Trevena Cross Nurseries do sell a Protea fertiliser...but
they don't recommend any fertiliser for King Proteas.

Natalie

dg

Jun 26, 2002, 2:15:51 PM6/26/02
"Natalie" <ha...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

That's where I bought it from, and I can recommend their mail order service
for speed, service and the quality of the plants.

I will mail them and ask - I just thought I would get some "independent"
opinion first.

cheers
dg

dg

Jun 26, 2002, 2:24:47 PM6/26/02
"Chris Hogg" <christopher.hogg@*virgin.net> wrote in message

I bought it from Trevena Cross about two months ago and it was repotted into
a 16" pot with the recommended compost/grit/perlite. It is in sun (when we
get it) from sunrise till about 4 pm.

I know I have been quite zealous with the hose as I hate to see dry soil, so
I wondered if this was the cause.
However I thought it odd that the leaves should shed in this manner at this
time of year.

I just hope the leaf drop does not continue up the stem leading to an early
demise, as I am eagerly awaiting those beautiful flowers

cheers

dg

dg

Jun 26, 2002, 2:29:32 PM6/26/02
"Clarke Brunt" <cla...@lsl.co.uk> wrote in message

Cheers.

Have yours ever got to the flowering stage? That's what I am really waiting
for.

I just hope I have not done some damage with overwatering. I will refrain
from feeding it though until I know that it is not in any distress .

dg

Chris Hogg

Jun 27, 2002, 3:46:55 PM6/27/02
On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 18:38:54 +0100, "Natalie" <ha...@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

>I noticed that Trevena Cross Nurseries do sell a Protea fertiliser...but
>they don't recommend any fertiliser for King Proteas.

Not sure I understand their logic.

Incidentally, I got two Leucospermums from Eden last year. They
promptly suffered die-back, with the tips of the leaves going brown
and papery (over half of the leaf in most cases) and new growth dying
back. I thought I'd lost them, but I see they're putting out new
shoots now, so there's hope yet.

Apparently they're imported from Israel; maybe that's where Trevena
Cross get theirs, although I know they get other stuff from South
Africa (e.g. Kniphofia Amargstrocus, which I've never heard of and can
find no reference to anywhere on the web. Not in Silverhill's list
either). They're about a mile up the road from me, BTW.

Marta Wiliams

Feb 3, 2024, 11:03:34 PMFeb 3
✅🔴▶️▶ Really Amazing ️You Can Try This ◀️◀️🔴✅

✅▶️▶️ CLICK HERE Full HD✅720p✅1080p✅4K✅

WATCH ✅💻📺📱👉https://co.fastmovies.org

ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ ✅📺📱💻👉https://co.fastmovies.org

🔴WATCH>>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org

✅WATCH>>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org

💚WATCH>>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org

💚 Really Amazing ️You Can Try This💚WATCH>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>LINK>
👉https://co.fastmovies.org

💚CLICK HERE Full HD>720p>1080p>4K💚WATCH>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>LINK>
👉https://co.fastmovies.org

🔴ALL>VIDEOS>WATCH>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org