Wheelbarrow wheel puncture repair

usenet2012

Dec 21, 2012, 2:18:19 PM12/21/12

I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.

The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.

How do I get it repaired? Kwik-Fit? Or will a set of bicycle tyre irons
and patches do the trick?

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.

Phil Cook

Dec 21, 2012, 2:40:34 PM12/21/12
On 21/12/2012 19:18, usenet2012 wrote:

> I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.
>
> The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.
>
> How do I get it repaired? Kwik-Fit? Or will a set of bicycle tyre irons
> and patches do the trick?

You might need bigger irons than bicycle ones. Motorcycle place?
--
Phil Cook

The Original Jake

Dec 21, 2012, 3:11:11 PM12/21/12
I gave up trying to fix a puncture on my tubeless wheelbarrow tyre,
which turned out to be glued fast to the hub, and went for the
"solid" type. My supplier (chosen because they're Welsh!) was
http://www.wheelforwheelbarrow.co.uk/. Might work out cheaper than
getting all the stuff to repair an existing tyre.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

David Hill

Dec 21, 2012, 3:28:32 PM12/21/12
On 21/12/2012 19:18, usenet2012 wrote:

> I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.
>
> The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.
>
> How do I get it repaired? Kwik-Fit? Or will a set of bicycle tyre irons
> and patches do the trick?

Yes to both.
Depends on how ham fisted you are.

David Hill

Dec 21, 2012, 3:29:44 PM12/21/12
Solid are hard work on soft ground and mud

rbel

Dec 21, 2012, 3:31:24 PM12/21/12
On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 19:18:19 +0000, usenet2012
<usene...@invalid2012.org.uk> wrote:

>I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.
>
>The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.
>
>How do I get it repaired? Kwik-Fit? Or will a set of bicycle tyre irons
>and patches do the trick?

Having had to repair the tyre on our barrow (I say 'our' advisedly as
it was a birthday present for SWMBO) every year as the result of thorn
punctures someone, possibly here, recommended the use of Slime.

Slime is a wonderful product, expensive but worth every penny IMHO.
One application and we have had no punctures at all in the last 5
years.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slime-SL-SDS500-Tubeless-Sealant-473ml/dp/B000C11PYW

--
rbel

The Original Jake

Dec 21, 2012, 4:07:32 PM12/21/12
I put "solid" in inverted commas. There is as much bounce in the tyre
as there was in my former pneumatic one and I have no problems with it
even when carrying a heavy load. In relation to the site I quote
above, check out their "superior" range.

usenet2012

Dec 22, 2012, 2:54:56 AM12/22/12
In message <3ch9d85i9dsq024oh...@4ax.com>,
rbel@?.?.invalid writes
Ahhh yes, Slime. I've used it in bicycle tyres but my brain didn't
transfer the idea across. Halfords sell Holts Tyreweld but oddly in a
Q&A their staff don't recommend it for wheelbarrows??

http://tinyurl.com/dy5nryt

Pete

Dec 22, 2012, 3:50:34 AM12/22/12

>>>I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.
>>>
>>>The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.
>>>
>>>How do I get it repaired?

I take all my gardening puncture repairs to Kevin at D and D Tyres
in Nantwich. I have about 15 tyres on the ground surrounded by thorn hedges.
At between £5 and £10 per visit it is just not worth all the faffing about
with
home remedies, I have found.

Regards and All the Best
Pete

usenet2012

Dec 22, 2012, 4:17:27 AM12/22/12
In message <Y-Sdnd0ZFPTH6UjN...@bt.com>, Pete
<peter....@btopenworld.com> writes
a bit far from Kent though :-)

shazzbat

Dec 22, 2012, 4:48:39 AM12/22/12

"usenet2012" <usene...@invalid2012.org.uk> wrote in message

> I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.
>
> The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.
>
> How do I get it repaired? Kwik-Fit? Or will a set of bicycle tyre irons
> and patches do the trick?

If it's a tube type, you can do it exactly like a bicycle inner tube. The
sidewalls of a wheelbarrow tyre are very pliable, so easy to get over the
rim. If it's tubeless it's even easier, you can just put a blob of silicone
sealer on the inside, or even take out the valve and squirt builder's foam
inside. Or stick a puncture patch on the tyre itself, thepossibilities are
endless. It's not going to crash and kill you if anything goes wrong.

Steve

Broadback

Dec 22, 2012, 5:15:25 AM12/22/12
I repair mine with a cycle repair outfit. Make sure though that there
are no thorns embedded in the tyre. After a few repairs I took it to
Vantage and had the tyre replaced, it has been a while now since I had a
puncture. Having said that I bet when I go to use it after a Christmas I
will be punctured. Sod's law don't yo know!

--
Remember the early bird may catch the worm but the second mouse gets the
cheese.

rbel

Dec 22, 2012, 5:16:31 AM12/22/12
On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 07:54:56 +0000, usenet2012
<usene...@invalid2012.org.uk> wrote:

>>Having had to repair the tyre on our barrow (I say 'our' advisedly as
>>it was a birthday present for SWMBO) every year as the result of thorn
>>punctures someone, possibly here, recommended the use of Slime.
>>
>>Slime is a wonderful product, expensive but worth every penny IMHO.
>>One application and we have had no punctures at all in the last 5
>>years.
>>http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slime-SL-SDS500-Tubeless-Sealant-473ml/dp/B000C11PYW
>>
>Ahhh yes, Slime. I've used it in bicycle tyres but my brain didn't
>transfer the idea across. Halfords sell Holts Tyreweld but oddly in a
>Q&A their staff don't recommend it for wheelbarrows??
>
>http://tinyurl.com/dy5nryt

Another (admittedly minor) advantage of the Slime is that there is
virtually none of the usual very slow deflation that occurs during the
course of time. Instead of topping up the air a couple of times a
year it is now once every two years!
--
rbel

Pete

Dec 22, 2012, 6:05:11 AM12/22/12

--
>Simon

Well - I really thought Kent was nearby - just
shows I live to be corrected (:-(

Pete

nm...@cam.ac.uk

Dec 22, 2012, 6:11:27 AM12/22/12
In article <eq1bd89em0cvtrnk8...@4ax.com>, <rbel> wrote:

>Another (admittedly minor) advantage of the Slime is that there is
>virtually none of the usual very slow deflation that occurs during the
>course of time. Instead of topping up the air a couple of times a
>year it is now once every two years!

Quite often, the original tyre is tubeless. You can usually fit
a tube inside it, and that is a near-permanent solution. The
main risk of slime is that you may jam the valve.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Charlie Pridham

Dec 22, 2012, 7:11:27 AM12/22/12

"usenet2012" <usene...@invalid2012.org.uk> wrote in message

First time I just put an inner tube under the tubeless tyre, when that went
I used slime, cured the problem and it was coping with quite big holes! not
had a problem since the old dog went (he used to attack the wheel while we
used the barrow)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

damdu...@yahoo.co.uk

Dec 22, 2012, 7:23:02 AM12/22/12
On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 07:54:56 +0000, usenet2012
<usene...@invalid2012.org.uk> wrote:

>Imended the use of Slime.
>>
>>Slime is a wonderful product, expensive but worth every penny IMHO.
>>One application and we have had no punctures at all in the last 5
>>years.
>>http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slime-SL-SDS500-Tubeless-Sealant-473ml/dp/B000C11PYW
>>
>Ahhh yes, Slime. I've used it in bicycle tyres but my brain didn't
>transfer the idea across. Halfords sell Holts Tyreweld but oddly in a
>Q&A their staff don't recommend it for wheelbarrows??
>
>http://tinyurl.com/dy5nryt

As a schoolboy 50 years ago I found old fashioned wall paper paste did
a similar thing on my Bike,perhaps it was an idea I should have
followed up but when you are swiping dads decorating material you tend
to keep quiet about it. Saved endless repairs from cycling along a
Devon lanes to school. Only snag was in winter when the mixture would
freeze so the wheels would have a bump at the bottom.

G.Harman

Baz

Dec 22, 2012, 8:05:40 AM12/22/12
usenet2012 <usene...@invalid2012.org.uk> wrote in

> I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.
>
> The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.
>
> How do I get it repaired? Kwik-Fit? Or will a set of bicycle tyre irons
> and patches do the trick?

You can do it with a spoon or fork. Your wheelbarrow tyre is(should be)
just a fatter yet smaller diamater cycle tyre. Not much psi. Not a car
tyre, very far from it. Just looks like a car tyre. That is where the
similarity ends.

Baz

damdu...@yahoo.co.uk

Dec 22, 2012, 9:04:31 AM12/22/12
On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 13:05:40 GMT, Baz <ba...@fawlty.com> wrote:

>usenet2012 <usene...@invalid2012.org.uk> wrote in
>

>> I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.
>>
>> The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.
>>

>You can do it with a spoon or fork. Your wheelbarrow tyre is(should be)
>just a fatter yet smaller diamater cycle tyre. Not much psi. Not a car
>tyre, very far from it. Just looks like a car tyre. That is where the
>similarity ends.
>
>Baz

Have you ever actually looked at the pressure on a pump fitted with a
gauge when inflating a bicycle tyre or are you just guessing?
Even one at the low end of Bicycle tyre pressure ranges at about 40
psi is getting towards the higher end of car tyre range and that'll be
on reasonably wide tyres fitted to mountain bike types. The thinner
tyres used by a lot of people on sportier type things will have tyres
inflated around the 70 to 120 psi range. Far higher than car tyres or
indeed wheel barrow ones which be around the same as car tyres in the
30 to 40 psi range. Inflating a wheelbarrow tyre to the majority of
bicycle pressures could risk either injury or being sued by James
Dyson for infringing his patent for the Ball barrow.

Perhaps he did it accidentally and got the idea.

G.Harman

Baz

Dec 22, 2012, 10:15:44 AM12/22/12
damdu...@yahoo.co.uk wrote in news:33ebd81len02l99e7hdlooc71rjhjm484a@
4ax.com:

> On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 13:05:40 GMT, Baz <ba...@fawlty.com> wrote:
>
>>usenet2012 <usene...@invalid2012.org.uk> wrote in
>>

>>> I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.
>>>
>>> The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.
>>>

>>You can do it with a spoon or fork. Your wheelbarrow tyre is(should be)
>>just a fatter yet smaller diamater cycle tyre. Not much psi. Not a car
>>tyre, very far from it. Just looks like a car tyre. That is where the
>>similarity ends.
>>
>>Baz
>
> Have you ever actually looked at the pressure on a pump fitted with a
> gauge when inflating a bicycle tyre or are you just guessing?

No I am not guessing.

Baz

usenet2012

Dec 22, 2012, 12:06:13 PM12/22/12
In message <kb44gv$sm0$1...@needham.csi.cam.ac.uk>, nm...@cam.ac.uk writes
Remembering to always park the wheel with the valve at the top minimises
this risk IME.

usenet2012

Dec 22, 2012, 12:17:00 PM12/22/12
In message <XnsA13185...@81.171.92.222>, Baz <ba...@fawlty.com>
writes
Useful - thanks. I'd assumed it would have a similar design to a car
tyre.

usenet2012

Dec 22, 2012, 12:20:56 PM12/22/12
In message <2eg9d8h0ogdrtcf2p...@4ax.com>, The Original
Jake <Nos...@invalid.invalid> writes
>On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 19:40:34 +0000, Phil Cook
><ph...@p-t-cook.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On 21/12/2012 19:18, usenet2012 wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.
>>>
>>> The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.
>>>
>>> How do I get it repaired? Kwik-Fit? Or will a set of bicycle tyre irons
>>> and patches do the trick?
>>
>>You might need bigger irons than bicycle ones. Motorcycle place?
>
>I gave up trying to fix a puncture on my tubeless wheelbarrow tyre,
>which turned out to be glued fast to the hub, and went for the
>"solid" type. My supplier (chosen because they're Welsh!) was
>http://www.wheelforwheelbarrow.co.uk/. Might work out cheaper than
>getting all the stuff to repair an existing tyre.

Having looked at them I am very tempted. Thank-you.

Trevor Appleton

Dec 27, 2012, 4:07:48 AM12/27/12
On 21/12/2012 19:18, usenet2012 wrote:

> I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.
>
> The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.
>
> How do I get it repaired? Kwik-Fit? Or will a set of bicycle tyre irons
> and patches do the trick?

Have always used a cycle repair kit.