Scammell engine info

k.wil...@rri.sari.ac.uk

May 23, 2005, 6:11:17 PM5/23/05
Hi everyone,
we were at a sale on Saturday and couldn't resist buying a tidy looking
Scammell engine.It has had something coupled onto it at some time in
the past and the first words to enter my head were of course "Fire
Pump".After the sale some friends and I had a bit of a chinwag about
the engine and there are a few theories being bandied about about it's
past.The thing which is causing debate to rage is it's colour,it is
green(obviously original)instead of the usual red.Military use was one
of the options but it is a lighter shade of green than the usual army
green.Another possible was that it powered a large mowing machine for
cricket pitches etc. The name plate has both an engine no. and a pump
no. so I still favour the pump option.If anyone has any info on these
engines/pumps I would be very interested.
Cheers,Kenny.

John Stevenson

May 23, 2005, 6:27:15 PM5/23/05

Pictures ?
Army green for engines wasn't olive green but a lighter green called
Eau-de-neal.

--
Regards,

John Stevenson
Nottingham, England.

http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/

Tom

May 23, 2005, 6:33:38 PM5/23/05

eau de nil, maybe? Get the mc pix, John?

Tom

Tim Leech

May 24, 2005, 2:24:21 AM5/24/05
On 23 May 2005 15:11:17 -0700, k.wil...@rri.sari.ac.uk wrote:

Are we talking petrol or diesel here?
If diesel, the pump no. could be the injector pump no.

Scammel did do a few marine engines, even their own marine gearboxes
though I think there was a certain abount of rebadging or use of
others' designs here.

Cheers
Tim

Dutton Dry-Dock
Vintage diesel engine service

Paul swindell

May 24, 2005, 7:48:48 AM5/24/05
This engine was designed for use with a fire pump and was called the
Scammell ultra-light weight fire pump. Bore and stroke of the engine 70mm x
76mm and 3hp, output of the pump is 54 gallons/minute. The pump is of the
centrifugal impeller type direct coupled to the engine via a long crank
shaft and a aluminium bell housing cast on to the side of the crankcase,
this bell housing is a weak point and will crack if the unit is not handled
carefully which is why you see engines minus the pump. I don't know if this
engine was ever sold on its own or fitted to anything other than the fire
pump, the usual colours are grey for military use and red for civil use, so
sorry no ideas on a green one.
- Paul.

"Tim Leech" <dutto...@onetel.com> wrote in message

philipte

May 24, 2005, 10:27:20 AM5/24/05
The unit was commonly referred to as a piddler pump, though it was a
lot more powerful than a man with a stirrup pump and a bucket.......
Actually, I've seen one at the late lamented Knowl Hill Rally , with
the suction pipe in the ornamental lake, and throwing a jet of water at
least 60-70 feet. Not bad for a little 'un, though its efforts were
rather overshadowed by a Shand Mason steam fire pump next to it, going
flat out, and taking two people to hold the hose :-)

Regards

Philip T-E

k.wil...@rri.sari.ac.uk

May 26, 2005, 7:01:12 PM5/26/05
Hi everyone,thanks to those of you who have given me pointers so far.
In order to give those who are interested photos I have joined Webshots
and
put 5 photos on there.Being a bit of a thicko as far as this sort of
thing is
concerned I have not worked out how to create a link for you to click
on
to take you there but if you go to their site and search my username
which is
woolsleley you will find the file scammell and be able to see the
photos.
Cheers for now,Kenny.

Dave Croft

May 26, 2005, 7:14:45 PM5/26/05
Hi Kenny The wild & Wolsley, Is
http://community.webshots.com/user/wolsley Your site?
If so have you made sure you have ticked Public Viewing?
--
Dave Croft
Warrington

k.wil...@rri.sari.ac.uk

May 27, 2005, 11:39:16 AM5/27/05
Hi David and all,
That is not my site but I can see why you got there.

Mine is http://community.webshots.com/user/woolseley

Kenny.

Listerd1950

Mar 19, 2016, 1:18:02 PM3/19/16
replying to k.williams, Listerd1950 wrote:
Hello there
Was just wondering if you know where I could find an online version of the
manual for a Scammell light weight pump engine !
Joshua

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/uk-engines/scammell-engine-info-11820-.htm

Neil Minto

Oct 15, 2021, 1:18:04 PM10/15/21
replying to Listerd1950, Neil Minto wrote:
I wondered that too. I am having difficulties reassembling our pump. Would
appear to have two large brass "gaskets"

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/uk-engines/scammell-engine-info-11820-.htm