tyres

angie

Feb 25, 2012, 5:07:48 PM2/25/12
hi
what tyres would you recommend for a family hatchback with 17" wheels? i
want something decent but i don't want to get ripped off paying extra for
a brand name if there's no real benefit from it.

i do pretty mixed driving, lots of country a/b roads but also a fair
amount of motorway travelling. probably 10k miles a year in total.

thanks!

A_Random_Bloke

Feb 25, 2012, 5:33:15 PM2/25/12
>"angie" wrote in message news:jibm3j$393$2...@speranza.aioe.org...
I would stick to the main brands, Michelin, Dunlop, Hancock, Firestone,
Pirelli etc. I don't trust the cheapo bargain brands.
What's the car?

Scott M

Feb 26, 2012, 4:13:17 AM2/26/12
A_Random_Bloke wrote:

> I would stick to the main brands, Michelin, Dunlop, Hancock, Firestone,
> Pirelli etc.

Add Kumho and Falken to that.

> I don't trust the cheapo bargain brands.

Anything that sounds crap: LingLong, RunWay, etc...

Scott

Silk

Feb 26, 2012, 4:41:46 AM2/26/12
A tyre's a tyre, for fuck's sake. If the car's being driven normally on
normal roads, save your money.

> What's the car?

Why does that matter?

Silk

Feb 26, 2012, 4:46:56 AM2/26/12
Big corporations spend millions on brand awareness in order to make the
gullable think they're getting something better when they're only really
paying for a name. Other brands only "sound crap" because they don't
spend the money require to make them "sound good".

You have a choice, with one brand you're contributing extra to an
advertising budget; with the other, you're not.

Roger Mills

Feb 26, 2012, 5:24:43 AM2/26/12
On 26/02/2012 09:41, Silk wrote:

> A tyre's a tyre, for fuck's sake. If the car's being driven normally on
> normal roads, save your money.

A tyre is your interface with the road - and has a significant effect on
overall safety. If you want to cut costs, tyres ain't the place to do it!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Steve Firth

Feb 26, 2012, 5:46:48 AM2/26/12
Silk <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> A tyre's a tyre, for fuck's sake. If the car's being driven normally on
> normal roads, save your money.

Thanks for the proof that you're a shit driver.

A_Random_Bloke

Feb 26, 2012, 7:53:07 AM2/26/12

"Silk" wrote in message news:jicund$gt3$1...@speranza.aioe.org...
why the need to swear ?

> What's the car?

>Why does that matter?
Because the speed rating of the tyres is important, maybe you are too thick
to realise?

Chris Bartram

Feb 26, 2012, 10:40:59 AM2/26/12
I'm sure you're just trolling as usual, but I'll bite.

The better half's Lupo was transformed when the cheap and nasty Nankang
ditchfinders came off (and they were well above the legal limit) and
mid-price Kumhos went on. The cheapos compromise on grip and can become
noisy. Some are positively dangerous (Wanli, for example), but popular
with drifters precisely because they don't grip well.

Kumho are a pretty good compromise IMO if you don't want to shell out
the price for the premium ranges like Michelin, Continental, Goodyear,
Dunlop etc. They're also now original equipment on a good few cars, so
they must at least be OK.

For prices, compare online at http://www.blackcircles.com and then phone
a local tyre dealer once you have an idea of cost.

Silk

Feb 26, 2012, 12:13:12 PM2/26/12
On 26/02/2012 12:53, A_Random_Bloke wrote:

> "Silk" wrote in message news:jicund$gt3$1...@speranza.aioe.org...

>> A tyre's a tyre, for fuck's sake. If the car's being driven normally
>> on normal roads, save your money.
>
> why the need to swear ?

Why not? Whenever the subject of tyres comes up, the usual suspects come
out of the woodwork and try to tell us we'll end up having a crash if we
use the "wrong" brand of tyre. The fact is, they've ended up in the
ditch because they're shit drivers, plain and simple. Nothing to do with
the tyres.

>> What's the car?
>
>> Why does that matter?
> Because the speed rating of the tyres is important, maybe you are too
> thick to realise?

You get the correct rating on a budget tyre, moron.

Silk

Feb 26, 2012, 12:15:40 PM2/26/12
The limits of safety are reached well before the limits of grip, even on
the cheapest modern tyre. I know this because I know how to drive.

Steve Firth

Feb 27, 2012, 5:17:29 AM2/27/12
You don't even know the difference between arse and elbow.

Nkosi (ama-ecosse)

Feb 27, 2012, 8:07:39 AM2/27/12
On Feb 26, 3:40 pm, Chris Bartram <n...@delete-me.piglet-net.net>
wrote:

> >> I would stick to the main brands, Michelin, Dunlop, Hancock, Firestone,
> >> Pirelli etc. I don't trust the cheapo bargain brands.
>
> > A tyre's a tyre, for fuck's sake. If the car's being driven normally on
> > normal roads, save your money.
>
> I'm sure you're just trolling as usual, but I'll bite.
>
> The better half's Lupo was transformed when the cheap and nasty Nankang
> ditchfinders came off (and they were well above the legal limit) and
> mid-price Kumhos went on. The cheapos compromise on grip and can become
> noisy. Some are positively dangerous (Wanli, for example), but popular
> with drifters precisely because they don't grip well.
>
> Kumho are a pretty good compromise IMO if you don't want to shell out
> the price for the premium ranges like Michelin, Continental, Goodyear,
> Dunlop etc. They're also now original equipment on a good few cars, so
> they must at least be OK.
>
> For prices, compare online athttp://www.blackcircles.comand then phone
> a local tyre dealer once you have an idea of cost.- Hide quoted text -

Toyo or Avon a family hatchback probably transporting children you
want it to stick to the road. The Avons will outlast the Toyo but the
Toyo will grip better, neither are as expensive as Michelin or
Pirrelli or Continental

Nkosi

Zimmy

Feb 27, 2012, 9:50:56 AM2/27/12
After considerable research, I just changed some shockingly bad Wanlis
for some Barum Bravuris 2s, which are only a few quid more and still
almost half the price of the premium brands (I have Bridgestones and
Goodyears on my other cars).

The reviews (eg Auto Express, TyreReviews.co.uk) concur with my
experience, the Barums (owned by Continental) are excellent value for
money, and get better reviews than many 'premium' brands. You can get
them at National and even cheaper through Tyre-Shopper with a code.

Nick Finnigan

Feb 27, 2012, 5:19:06 PM2/27/12
Where were my limits of safety when braking because an oncoming driver
lost control 50 yards away and was heading for the bank on my left?
(whilst driving normally on a normal road).

Silk

Feb 28, 2012, 2:37:08 AM2/28/12
Do you really think having a premium brand of tyre is going to help
much? Don't forget, even the cheapest brand has to meet a legal standard.

Just because the ad on Kwik Fit's waiting-room wall says a certain brand
is the best, doesn't mean you have to believe it.

Zimmy

Feb 28, 2012, 4:31:23 AM2/28/12
On 26/02/2012 09:41, Silk wrote:

> A tyre's a tyre, for fuck's sake. If the car's being driven normally on
> normal roads, save your money.

Not true. Think about stopping distances.
In a recent Auto Express test, they showed that given two identical cars
driving at motorway speeds, the one in front with the best tyres in
their test (Continentals) and one just behind with the worst (Wanlis).
If they both did an emergency stop at the same time, the second would
still be travelling at 30mph when the first had stopped.

I agree that many 'premium' brand tyres are way overpriced, but there
are some cheapys definitely worth avoiding, eg. Linglong, Wanlis, etc.
There are also some that are very good, eg Barums. Its worth checking
the reviews.

Mike P

Feb 28, 2012, 5:09:01 AM2/28/12
On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 07:37:08 +0000, Silk stammered:

> On 27/02/2012 22:19, Nick Finnigan wrote:

>>> The limits of safety are reached well before the limits of grip, even
>>> on the cheapest modern tyre. I know this because I know how to drive.
>>
>> Where were my limits of safety when braking because an oncoming driver
>> lost control 50 yards away and was heading for the bank on my left?
>> (whilst driving normally on a normal road).
>
> Do you really think having a premium brand of tyre is going to help
> much? Don't forget, even the cheapest brand has to meet a legal
> standard.

That standard is awfully poor.

> Just because the ad on Kwik Fit's waiting-room wall says a certain brand
> is the best, doesn't mean you have to believe it.

What sort of idiot uses Kwik-Fit? If that's you, it explains a lot.

--
Mike P

Steve Firth

Feb 28, 2012, 4:38:50 PM2/28/12
Silk <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> Do you really think having a premium brand of tyre is going to help
> much?

given that Auto Bild found an 11 metre difference in stopping distance
between the Ling Long type of tyres and brands such as Vredestein,
Goodyear and Michelin, what do you think[1]?

[1] I use the term in its loosest sense where you are concerned.

Silk

Feb 29, 2012, 2:18:50 PM2/29/12
On 28/02/2012 10:09, Mike P wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 07:37:08 +0000, Silk stammered:

>>> Where were my limits of safety when braking because an oncoming driver
>>> lost control 50 yards away and was heading for the bank on my left?
>>> (whilst driving normally on a normal road).
>>
>> Do you really think having a premium brand of tyre is going to help
>> much? Don't forget, even the cheapest brand has to meet a legal
>> standard.
>
> That standard is awfully poor.

I doubt there's a lot in it, in practice. I'm guessing there's more of a
problem with bald tyres, incorrect pressures and general poor driving.

>> Just because the ad on Kwik Fit's waiting-room wall says a certain brand
>> is the best, doesn't mean you have to believe it.
>
> What sort of idiot uses Kwik-Fit? If that's you, it explains a lot.

If you have a maintenance contract, then Kwik-Fit tends to be the
preferential supplier. If they're good enough for the big boys, I'm sure
they're good enough for the man on the street. At the moment, I don't
have a maintenance contract, so I'll be shopping around.

Silk

Feb 29, 2012, 2:19:52 PM2/29/12
On 28/02/2012 21:38, Steve Firth wrote:
> Silk<m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Do you really think having a premium brand of tyre is going to help
>> much?
>
> given that Auto Bild found an 11 metre difference in stopping distance
> between the Ling Long type of tyres and brands such as Vredestein,
> Goodyear and Michelin, what do you think?

I think it matters very little to a shit driver such as yourself.

Mike P

Feb 29, 2012, 4:24:54 PM2/29/12
On Feb 29, 7:18 pm, Silk <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> On 28/02/2012 10:09, Mike P wrote:

> >> Do you really think having a premium brand of tyre is going to help
> >> much? Don't forget, even the cheapest brand has to meet a legal
> >> standard.
>
> > That standard is awfully poor.
>
> I doubt there's a lot in it, in practice. I'm guessing there's more of a
> problem with bald tyres, incorrect pressures and general poor driving.

IME there is a considerable difference between some of the budget
tyres and good, branded tyres. I bought a Citroen Xsara a couple of
years ago with new "Matador" tyres on it all round. They were
positively dangerous in the wet, it felt like I was driving on ice.
The car felt very twitchy and nervous. I fitted a set of Avons to it,
it was a completely different car after that, lovely to drive and
surefooted in the wet.

My current toy Puma has Toyo Proxes on it, CF1s. They are so much
better than the Pirelli 6000s I had on my last Puma - similar mileage,
great condtion, nothing worn out, that it is hard to put into words..

The Berlingo has some horrible chinese tyres on it at the moment. They
do actually grip ok, and it never gets driven hard anyway. Sadly they
are so badly made it's made the vehicle impossible to drive in a
straight line. I had a full alignment check on it yesterday because it
was wandering to the left. Nothing worn, nothing broken. They checked
it twice after I took it back.

It was only after swapping the cheap nasty tyres side-to-side that it
started to go the other way.

It's having a pair of Toyos fitted on Friday.

> >> Just because the ad on Kwik Fit's waiting-room wall says a certain brand
> >> is the best, doesn't mean you have to believe it.
>
> > What sort of idiot uses Kwik-Fit? If that's you, it explains a lot.
>
> If you have a maintenance contract, then Kwik-Fit tends to be the
> preferential supplier. If they're good enough for the big boys, I'm sure
> they're good enough for the man on the street.

That means nothing, and you know it. It's like saying the droids at PC
world know about PCs and aren't just trying to box-shift.

Mike P

Feb 29, 2012, 4:27:55 PM2/29/12
I once had a Citroen XM with Nankangs on it, they were actually rather
good!

Silk

Feb 29, 2012, 4:43:13 PM2/29/12
Mike P <mikewp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> If you have a maintenance contract, then Kwik-Fit tends to be the
>> preferential supplier. If they're good enough for the big boys, I'm sure
>> they're good enough for the man on the street.
>
> That means nothing, and you know it. It's like saying the droids at PC
> world know about PCs and aren't just trying to box-shift.

I'm not sure what you mean. I can't see how one particular tyre fitter is
better than any other. The only difference is the price. The big fleet
companies don't seem to have a problem with Kwik Fit, so they must be doing
something right. When it comes to PCs, if PC World do what I want at the
right price, what's wrong with buying from them?

At the moment, I'm having to pay for my tyres out of my own pocket
(although I was paying the maintenance contract out of my own pocket as
well, but I'm sure you know what I mean), so I can shop around.

Steve Firth

Feb 29, 2012, 4:57:17 PM2/29/12
Silk <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> On 28/02/2012 21:38, Steve Firth wrote:
>> Silk<m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Do you really think having a premium brand of tyre is going to help
>>> much?
>>
>> given that Auto Bild found an 11 metre difference in stopping distance
>> between the Ling Long type of tyres and brands such as Vredestein,
>> Goodyear and Michelin, what do you think?
>
> I think

There's no evidence for that.

> it matters very little to a shit driver such as yourself.

Someone who thinks tyres have no effect on the primary safety of a car is a
shit driver. For the avoidance of doubt, that's you.

Mike P

Feb 29, 2012, 8:06:36 PM2/29/12
On Feb 29, 9:43 pm, Silk <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> Mike P <mikewpears...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> If you have a maintenance contract, then Kwik-Fit tends to be the
> >> preferential supplier. If they're good enough for the big boys, I'm sure
> >> they're good enough for the man on the street.
>
> > That means nothing, and you know it. It's like saying the droids at PC
> > world know about PCs and aren't just trying to box-shift.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean. I can't see how one particular tyre fitter is
> better than any other.

Some are staffed by people who actually know about tyres, wheels (and
exhausts) and will check items properly and advise what might need to
be done, without ripping you off or trying to scare you into buying
other items.

>The only difference is the price. The big fleet
> companies don't seem to have a problem with Kwik Fit, so they must be doing
> something right.

Convenience of adminstration and paying on account. That's all it is.
Value doesn't come into it.

Silk

Mar 1, 2012, 8:19:25 AM3/1/12
On 29/02/2012 21:57, Steve Firth wrote:

> Someone who thinks tyres have no effect on the primary safety of a car is a
> shit driver. For the avoidance of doubt, that's you.

I didn't say they had no effect, you moron, only that the effect is
exaggerated. Anyone who drives in such a manner that they rely on having
a certain brand of tyre to get them out of trouble is a stupid twat who
shouldn't be on the road.

The obvious question is: should YOU be on the road? Probably not, based
on the shit you post on here.

bolta...@boltar.world

Mar 1, 2012, 8:45:45 AM3/1/12
On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 13:19:25 +0000
Silk <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>On 29/02/2012 21:57, Steve Firth wrote:
>
>> Someone who thinks tyres have no effect on the primary safety of a car is a
>> shit driver. For the avoidance of doubt, that's you.
>
>I didn't say they had no effect, you moron, only that the effect is
>exaggerated. Anyone who drives in such a manner that they rely on having
>a certain brand of tyre to get them out of trouble is a stupid twat who
>shouldn't be on the road.

I don't agree with Firth about much but he's right in this case. If someone
walks out in front of your car without looking and you have to do an emergency
stop then the brand of tyres you have on your car could decide whether you end
up spending the night in a police cell having put them in hospital or not.

And don't say you never drive fast enough or it'll never happen to you, I've
seen a senile pensioner get out of a car and walk straight out onto a 40mph
road right in front of the traffic. Luckily for the stupid old bag the driver
managed to swerve around her.

B2003

Silk

Mar 1, 2012, 9:17:31 AM3/1/12
On 01/03/2012 13:45, bolta...@boltar.world wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 13:19:25 +0000
> Silk<m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>> On 29/02/2012 21:57, Steve Firth wrote:
>>
>>> Someone who thinks tyres have no effect on the primary safety of a car is a
>>> shit driver. For the avoidance of doubt, that's you.
>>
>> I didn't say they had no effect, you moron, only that the effect is
>> exaggerated. Anyone who drives in such a manner that they rely on having
>> a certain brand of tyre to get them out of trouble is a stupid twat who
>> shouldn't be on the road.
>
> I don't agree with Firth about much but he's right in this case. If someone
> walks out in front of your car without looking and you have to do an emergency
> stop then the brand of tyres you have on your car could decide whether you end
> up spending the night in a police cell having put them in hospital or not.

That's only correct up to a point and assumes that there is a massive
difference between brands of tyre, which there isn't. Skill/alertness of
the driver, efficiency of the brakes and depth of tread have at least as
much effect. It can also be the case that one brand of tyre may score
well in one test and badly in another.

> And don't say you never drive fast enough or it'll never happen to you, I've
> seen a senile pensioner get out of a car and walk straight out onto a 40mph
> road right in front of the traffic. Luckily for the stupid old bag the driver
> managed to swerve around her.

Ifs and maybes.

bolta...@boltar.world

Mar 1, 2012, 9:23:49 AM3/1/12
Silk <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>On 29/02/2012 21:57, Steve Firth wrote:
>
>> Someone who thinks tyres have no effect on the primary safety of a car is a
>> shit driver. For the avoidance of doubt, that's you.
>
>I didn't say they had no effect, you moron, only that the effect is
>exaggerated. Anyone who drives in such a manner that they rely on having
>a certain brand of tyre to get them out of trouble is a stupid twat who
>shouldn't be on the road.

I don't agree with Firth about much but he's right in this case. If someone
walks out in front of your car without looking and you have to do an emergency
stop then the brand of tyres you have on your car could decide whether you end
up spending the night in a police cell having put them in hospital or not.

And don't say you never drive fast enough or it'll never happen to you, I've
seen a senile pensioner get out of a car and walk straight out onto a 40mph
road right in front of the traffic. Luckily for the stupid old bag the driver
managed to swerve around her.

B2003

McKevvy

Mar 1, 2012, 11:14:18 AM3/1/12
On Feb 26, 9:46 am, Silk <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> On 26/02/2012 09:13, Scott M wrote:
>
> > A_Random_Bloke wrote:
>
> >> I would stick to the main brands, Michelin, Dunlop, Hancock,
> >> Firestone, Pirelli etc.
>
> > Add Kumho and Falken to that.
>
> >> I don't trust the cheapo bargain brands.
>
> > Anything that sounds crap: LingLong, RunWay, etc...
>
> Big corporations spend millions on brand awareness in order to make the
> gullable think they're getting something better when they're only really
> paying for a name. Other brands only "sound crap" because they don't
> spend the money require to make them "sound good".
>
> You have a choice, with one brand you're contributing extra to an
> advertising budget; with the other, you're not.

Nah, I'm not totally convinced of that. I've always bought the cheap
tyres cos I've alway ran cheap car but I had a hire car for a week
when a twit reversed into mine in a car park.
I wish I'd looked at the name of the tyres because, compared to my
usual rubbish, these were VERY good. Probably cos the car was only 1
year old.

McK.

McKevvy

Mar 1, 2012, 11:56:04 AM3/1/12
But remoulds have to meet that requirement and we all know how shite
they are in the wet :-/

McK.

Steve Firth

Mar 1, 2012, 12:17:57 PM3/1/12
Silk <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> That's only correct up to a point and assumes that there is a massive
> difference between brands of tyre, which there isn't.

Bollocks. As previously posted Auto Bild showed a difference of 11 metres
in stopping distance on the same car fitted with best performance tyres vs
the Teflon Fred's loved by those who rant here that tyres make no (or an
insignificant) distance. Even 1 metre difference in stopping distance means
the difference between someone in front of a car or under it.

You talk absolute balderdash but appear to be too fucking stupid to realise
it.

Nick Finnigan

Mar 1, 2012, 12:44:08 PM3/1/12
On 28/02/2012 07:37, Silk wrote:
> On 27/02/2012 22:19, Nick Finnigan wrote:

>>> The limits of safety are reached well before the limits of grip, even on
>>> the cheapest modern tyre. I know this because I know how to drive.
>>
>> Where were my limits of safety when braking because an oncoming driver
>> lost control 50 yards away and was heading for the bank on my left?
>> (whilst driving normally on a normal road).
>
> Do you really think having a premium brand of tyre is going to help much?

No, I'm quite sure that my cheaper tyres have more grip in all conditions
than the Michelins they replaced. Not that that is relevant.

Silk

Mar 1, 2012, 1:31:01 PM3/1/12
On 01/03/2012 17:17, Steve Firth wrote:

> You talk absolute balderdash but appear to be too fucking stupid to realise
> it.

I do it to wind you up, you moron.

Steve Firth

Mar 1, 2012, 3:03:40 PM3/1/12
That statement would be wonderful if it were me that you replied to,
however your cockwitted repetition of balderdash is made to anyone and
everyone. All it demonstrates is that you're fucking stupid.

Silk

Mar 1, 2012, 4:00:30 PM3/1/12
You're the only one biting.

Steve Firth

Mar 2, 2012, 5:06:44 PM3/2/12
I'm the one laughing at the loon covered in crap with straws in his hair.

Silk

Mar 3, 2012, 4:33:27 AM3/3/12
Steve Firth <%steve%@malloc.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm the one laughing at the loon covered in crap with straws in his hair.

Have you considered taking a bath?

Steve Firth

Mar 4, 2012, 8:02:36 AM3/4/12
Have you considered not being a lame jerk? Because all the years of your
posts to Usenet say "no".