"So assault isn't assault?": Reaction to aggressive driver attacking group ride

swldx...@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2021, 9:24:52 AM9/13/21
That video of a driver assaulting a Swindon Wheelers member and knocking off another rider picked up a lot of attention over the weekend. The motorist became enraged by having to wait a few seconds behind the group riding two abreast, brake checking them before punching ride leader Ady Short as he tried to calmly explain why they ride in that formation.

The reaction has been a mixture of anger and disbelief that the driver was only given a caution for the attack. Questions have also been asked about Ady's explanation that Wiltshire Police ignored the camera footage of his wife being knocked over as the police "couldn't actually see her".

Under our story, the comments rolled in...Shades wondered what's the point of even bothering carrying a camera..."Camera evidence AND witnesses; only a caution! Next time I'm riding I'll save the weight and leave the cameras at home; normally if I'm riding with someone else I'll leave them behind as I've (hopefully) got a witness in an incident."

OldRidgeback summed the whole situation up nicely: "So assault isn't assault?"

On Twitter, Detective Chief Superintendent Andy Cox commented on the story: "Road rage has appalling traits and is never a good look. How many seconds did waiting to pass safely cost him? Hardly any but his reaction cost time! Glad the headcam proved a deterrent when he spotted it. The assault is a crime but so was his driving, putting other lives at risk."

We also updated our story with links to contact the office for Wiltshire's Police and Crime Commissioner due to the extremely strong reaction to the article...

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-13-september-2021-286293#live-blog-item-27723

TMS320

Sep 14, 2021, 4:21:31 AM9/14/21
On 13/09/2021 14:24, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> That video of a driver assaulting a Swindon Wheelers member and
> knocking off another rider picked up a lot of attention over the
> weekend. The motorist became enraged by having to wait a few seconds
> behind the group riding two abreast, brake checking them before
> punching ride leader Ady Short as he tried to calmly explain why they
> ride in that formation.

Watching the original clip, I note a couple of things.

Avoid overtaking a live motor vehicle when it has open space ahead: if
you do, don't hover alongside to have a chat with the driver and don't
hold on it. Particularly after the driver has just overtaken and is
behaving like a twat.