Driver – in untaxed, SORN-registered car with expired MOT – mounts pavement on wrong side of the road… then chastises six-year-old for cycling on same footpath

swldx...@gmail.com

Oct 4, 2022, 5:19:42 AM10/4/22
It’s been quite the start to Cycle to School week.

Yesterday on the blog, a Northern Ireland government site was accused of “victim blaming” after encouraging schoolchildren to “be bike smart” – and illustrated this important road safety message with a photograph of an extremely narrow, painted cycle lane…

Then, in the afternoon, a parent and child were cycling home on the School Street on the Leahurst Road in Lewisham when an approaching motorist parked his car by mounting the pavement on the wrong side of the road:

As he exited his vehicle – which is comfortably taking up half the footpath – the driver casually remarks in the direction of the young cyclist and his father, “Shouldn’t be on the pavement, should he?”

Unsurprisingly, both the cycling parent in the video and Twitter were highly critical of the irony-free driver, accusing him of “entitlement”, “cognitive dissonance”, “hypocrisy”, and of embodying “car culture”.

“The drivers are at it again,” wrote Mark Hodson, one of the two officers who devised West Midlands Police’s renowned close pass operation, in response to the video. “Having committed the offences of driving on the pavement and obstruction, objects to the child cycling on the pavement, for which there is a specific discretion to allow due to the danger posed by offending drivers.”

It gets worse, however…

A number of inquisitive souls decided to check the parked car’s tax and MOT details. It turns out that the driver – unhappy at the thought of a six-year-old riding his bike on the pavement – is nevertheless quite content to drive and park on that very same pavement a vehicle with an expired MOT and one which is currently registered as off the road:

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-4-october-2022-296369

JNugent

Oct 4, 2022, 5:27:16 AM10/4/22
How does the driver's alleged behaviour excuse the fairy-cyclist's
behaviour?

swldx...@gmail.com

Oct 4, 2022, 6:29:54 AM10/4/22
Wow, pavement driver needs an attitude adjustment, maybe a bump to the head would realign his cognitive processes to the real world.

QUITE.

swldx...@gmail.com

Oct 4, 2022, 9:16:26 AM10/4/22
That Honda is also showing as uninsured today.

I hope that driver has been reported. Car needs crushing and he needs a big fine.

Spike

Oct 4, 2022, 9:19:17 AM10/4/22
swldx...@gmail.com <swldx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That Honda is also showing as uninsured today.

> I hope that driver has been reported. Car needs crushing and he needs a big fine.

Uninsured pedal cyclists also kill and injure people.

--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

Oct 4, 2022, 11:51:32 AM10/4/22

Brian

Oct 4, 2022, 4:51:37 PM10/4/22
Another cyclist promoting violence against motorists.

Brian

Oct 4, 2022, 4:52:09 PM10/4/22

Brian

Oct 4, 2022, 4:52:46 PM10/4/22

swldx...@gmail.com

Oct 4, 2022, 4:54:13 PM10/4/22
QUOTE: “The drivers are at it again,” wrote Mark Hodson, one of the two officers who devised West Midlands Police’s renowned close pass operation, in response to the video. “Having committed the offences of driving on the pavement and obstruction, objects to the child cycling on the pavement, for which there is a specific discretion to allow due to the danger posed by offending drivers.”ENDS

What a sensible and clued-up police officer!

Spike

Oct 4, 2022, 5:22:39 PM10/4/22
Normally you slag off the police; what went wrong?

--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

Oct 4, 2022, 5:27:30 PM10/4/22
On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 9:54:13 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: “The drivers are at it again,” wrote Mark Hodson, one of the two officers who devised West Midlands Police’s renowned close pass operation, in response to the video. “Having committed the offences of driving on the pavement and obstruction, objects to the child cycling on the pavement, for which there is a specific discretion to allow due to the danger posed by offending drivers.”ENDS

Note he correctly spotted that pavement driving is an offence.

Spike

Oct 4, 2022, 5:49:59 PM10/4/22
No sh*t, Sherlock.

--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2022, 2:42:10 AM10/5/22
Plenty of you had something to say about this morning’s story on the motorist – driving a car with no insurance, MOT or tax, and which is currently registered as off the road – who mounted the pavement on the wrong side of the road, only to chastise a six-year-old child cycling home from school for riding on the same, now-greatly diminished footpath.

(And breathe…)

road.cc reader gazza_d argued that the “car needs crushing” and the entitled motorist in question “needs a big fine”, while ChrisB200SX noted that the driver “needs an attitude adjustment”.

Over on Facebook, David wrote: “Hopefully the untaxed and expired MOT vehicle is clamped and removed soon, with the driver gaining points on their licence for that error. And additional points plus fine for poor driving/behaviour.

“Whether they’ll learn and change from such a self-entitled perspective is sadly unlikely.”

“The self-entitlement of motorists summed up in a 10 second clip,” wrote Rog. “Has a pop at a six-year-old while committing a very similar but far more dangerous crime without a hint of irony.”

Paul agreed, writing: “Yes, even those driving illegally have an extreme sense of entitlement.”

“Pretty much sums up driver entitlement and misguided post-war transport policy all in one go. ‘This bit is full so I'll drive over here now’,” said Andrew.

Meanwhile, on Twitter, the emojis were out in force:

imagine he’ll be getting a visit from the police quite soon.

Spike

Oct 5, 2022, 3:48:51 AM10/5/22
Totally ironic, of course, that self-entitled, hang ‘em, flog ‘em,
uninsured, untaxed, untested cyclists are accusing others of a
self-entitled attitude!
--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2022, 6:17:45 AM10/5/22
He’d probably have complained at you being a bad parent if you’d let your 6 year old cycle on that road too! Uh I’m so angry on your behalf. I’m glad you said something back to him.

Well said.

JNugent

Oct 5, 2022, 6:17:54 AM10/5/22
They can't help themselves. Violent, sociopathic people are drawn to
fairy-cycling. It's all co-causal.

swldx...@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2022, 6:21:43 AM10/5/22
Day 1 of #CycleToSchoolWeek. @LouiseKrupski it's still toxic on Leahurst Rd on the first day of the school street. Driver goes to the wrong side of the road onto the pavement and then chastises a 6yr old for cycling on the same pavement. You couldn't make it up @markandcharlie

Spike

Oct 5, 2022, 7:28:17 AM10/5/22
But cyclist-thugs even do it to their own!

Quote:

Video shows moment man left in critical condition after being kicked off
bike by cyclist

CCTV footage has been released of the moment a man was kicked from his bike
by another cyclist, leaving him in a critical condition.

A 30-year-old man was riding his bike in Hackney, East London, when the
male attacker kicked him from his bike and into a parked car.

“The victim was taken to hospital, where he remains in a critical
condition.”

<https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/video-shows-moment-man-left-critical-condition-kicked-off-bike-cyclist-410972>

Unquote

--
Spike

JNugent

Oct 5, 2022, 8:11:41 AM10/5/22
Cannibals?

swldx...@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2022, 9:43:12 AM10/5/22
Jesus Christ; also NOTICE the MASSIVE EMPTY MARKED PARKING BAY on the other side of the road, the side he was driving on, that he didn’t use. Saw the pavement, parked on it. Convinced this is parody.

Spike

Oct 5, 2022, 11:18:52 AM10/5/22
Similar to cycling in the centre of a lane and holding up traffic, rather
than use a cycle lane. Thinks: where have we seen that recently? 🙄

--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2022, 11:47:00 AM10/5/22
On Wednesday, October 5, 2022 at 2:43:12 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Jesus Christ; also NOTICE the MASSIVE EMPTY MARKED PARKING BAY on the other side of the road, the side he was driving on, that he didn’t use. Saw the pavement, parked on it. Convinced this is parody.

And then crossed the road back to that side on foot. They walk among us!

Spike

Oct 5, 2022, 5:58:17 PM10/5/22
It could be worse, they could cycle among us, usually on the pavement.

--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2022, 2:28:28 AM10/6/22
Good detective work 👍 people like this should be shouted out and stopped from driving and owning a car. They should be punished to write the whole highway code 100 times.

Spike

Oct 6, 2022, 3:47:19 AM10/6/22
That punishment could also be meted out to the 80?% of cyclists that jump
red lights.

--
Spike

Spike

Oct 6, 2022, 4:09:27 AM10/6/22
Or for that matter, also to those that fail to obey Highway Code Rule 160.

[Rule 160 of the Highway Code is aimed at all riders and drivers, which
includes cyclists:

"Once moving you should keep to the left, unless road signs or markings
indicate otherwise. The exceptions are when you want to overtake, turn
right or pass parked vehicles or pedestrians in the road”.]

--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2022, 6:36:07 AM10/6/22
You cannot keep a car on the highway without VED, a private driveway is fine. A friend of mine got DVLA fines, letters from the DVLA and council, etc. when his car was parked in the parking area for his block of flats, it wasn't actually on the road but it is publicly accessible so essentially still on a public highway. (Pretty sure the law was changed a few years back so you cannot even legally keep a vehicle without insurance, SORNED and not on public highway seems fine though.)

MoT... it's not allowed to be driven unless it's to/from a booked MoT appointment. (In which case it doesn't have to have VED because it may have expired and you cannot renew with a valid MoT, but it does have to be insured.)