Cyclist: 'I'm going to kill you' then throws punch

Spike

Oct 5, 2022, 4:03:21 AM10/5/22

Cyclist shouted 'I'm going to kill you' at dad and punched him in the face
in 'vicious attack'

The dad, who is disabled, has been left 'incapacitated' by the attack

BySeren Hughes Reporter
19:29, 29 SEP 2022
UPDATED 20:37, 29 SEP 2022

A cyclist "shouted death threats" at a disabled man and "punched" him in
the face in a "vicious attack" that has left the victim "incapacitated" by
severe pain. Irfan Mahmood, 51, was on the way to an exhibition at the
Excel Centre with his wife Bushra on Sunday afternoon (September 25) when a
cyclist reportedly began swerving in and out of the lanes in front of their
car near Tower Bridge.

Irfan's daughter Elisa told MyLondon that the cyclist, who appeared to be a
delivery rider, appeared to be on the phone, so Irfan tried to alert him to
the fact they were behind him. The cyclist then became "aggressive" and
started "shouting" at Irfan and Bushra. Elisa, 19, said her parents thought
the cyclist might have hit the car, so they got out on on East Smithfield
Road to check and the cyclist also pulled over.

The cyclist was being "aggressive" so Irfan tried to calm him down, but the
cyclist reportedly began shouting: “I am going to kill you, I am going to
kill you.” Eventually, Irfan shouted at Bushra to call the police and at
that moment as he turned his head the cyclist punched him "very forcefully"
in the face.

Irfan's glasses were knocked off and he could barely stand. He tried to
stop the cyclist from leaving, but the attacker only repeated his death
threats, said the couple, and then got on his bike and left.

Elisa says Irfan has been left bedbound at their home in Wimbledon since
the attack. He is unable to move his neck because it has "gone into a
complete spasm", his face is swollen, he has blurred vision, and his eye
has become dark purple.

Irfan suffers from Myofascial pain syndrome, a chronic pain disorder, since
a series of car accidents in 2004, and uses a walking stick for support.
The assault has "amplified" his pain, preventing him from sleeping and
leaving him "incapacitated".

The family are left shaken and "extremely upset" by the assault. Elisa, who
is a university student, wasn't in the country when the attack happened,
but her and her brother rushed home immediately.

"We knew it was going to put a hole in our lives," she told MyLondon. "This
is not something that we can handle. Its a huge deal. My dad has been
through so much, his condition is not easy to manage. He can’t bounce back
like other people."

To make matters worse, Elisa says the police aren't optimistic of the
chances of finding the attacker to bring him to justice. Wimbledon police
told Elisa to use social media to raise awareness and try to track him
down.

A Met Police spokesperson confirmed the incident was reported. They said:
"Police were called at 14:49hrs on 25 September to East Smithfield Street
E1 after a man aged in his 50s was allegedly assaulted and threatened by
another man. There have been no arrests; enquiries continue."

If you have any information about the attack, you can email Elisa at
elisam...@gmail.com.

<https://www.mylondon.news/news/zone-1-news/cyclist-shouted-im-going-kill-25138751>

--
Spike