Who has priority

Mike Collins

Sep 4, 2021, 7:12:25 AM9/4/21

You can clearly see

https://tinyurl.com/2huzjzmf

The A303 Zeals/Bourton bypass has been built across a public footpath that has been there for millennia. Yet 'law abiding' motorists continue to drive across it at an average speed of 85mph in the 70mph limit.
The only solution is to install a traffic crossing where the lights are green for pedestrians and motorvehiclists have to stop and press a button then wait 5 mins for a 10 second green light.

TMS320

Sep 4, 2021, 2:15:07 PM9/4/21
There are a number of similar crossings but as most roads were built by
dumping concrete and tarmac over old farm tracks, I expect this road
covers over quite a few.

A lot of this happened between the wars and footpaths were not properly
surveyed until 1948. So there is no record to help someone trying to
assert historic rights. The problem comes not so much from trying to
cross them but when trying to walk along them.

Mike Collins

Sep 4, 2021, 2:35:01 PM9/4/21
This bypass was built in the 90's, The residents of Zeals and Bourton held a street party when it was opened.
Doesn't change the fact that the footpath was there before the road and pedestrians have right of way
I suppose one solution would be to put the bypass in a tunnel under the footpath but that would cost millions and motorists are unwilling to pay for their anti social habit.

Mr Pounder Esquire

Sep 4, 2021, 2:53:40 PM9/4/21
Prick

Mike Collins

Sep 4, 2021, 3:14:02 PM9/4/21
Reasoned argument, logically presented.

JNugent

Sep 4, 2021, 8:49:11 PM9/4/21
On 04/09/2021 07:35 pm, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Saturday, 4 September 2021 at 19:15:07 UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
>> On 04/09/2021 12:12, Mike Collins wrote:
>>>
>>> You can clearly see
>>>
>>> https://tinyurl.com/2huzjzmf
>>>
>>> The A303 Zeals/Bourton bypass has been built across a public footpath
>>> that has been there for millennia. Yet 'law abiding' motorists
>>> continue to drive across it at an average speed of 85mph in the 70mph
>>> limit. The only solution is to install a traffic crossing where the
>>> lights are green for pedestrians and motorvehiclists have to stop and
>>> press a button then wait 5 mins for a 10 second green light.
>> There are a number of similar crossings but as most roads were built by
>> dumping concrete and tarmac over old farm tracks, I expect this road
>> covers over quite a few.
>>
>> A lot of this happened between the wars and footpaths were not properly
>> surveyed until 1948. So there is no record to help someone trying to
>> assert historic rights. The problem comes not so much from trying to
>> cross them but when trying to walk along them.
>
> This bypass was built in the 90's, The residents of Zeals and Bourton held a street party when it was opened.
> Doesn't change the fact that the footpath was there before the road and pedestrians have right of way

Correction: pedestrians *had* right of way until that bit of a footpath
was stopped up as part of the legal procedures involved in the planning
of the new road.

> I suppose one solution would be to put the bypass in a tunnel under the footpath but that would cost millions and motorists are unwilling to pay for their anti social habit.

The footpath has been diverted via the grade separated junction of the
A303 (with a B road) a little way to the west.

JNugent

Sep 4, 2021, 8:49:58 PM9/4/21
You obviously agree with the sentiment expressed.

Mike Collins

Sep 4, 2021, 9:26:47 PM9/4/21
So why are there steps on the embankment both sides of the bypass and a gap in the central barrier?

JNugent

Sep 5, 2021, 5:46:06 AM9/5/21
The more up-to-date maps show that the footpath has been extinguished in
that area. There is no gap in the central reservation Armco.

Anyone unwise enough to try to cross that road on foot or on a
fairy-bike would have to climb over the barrier.

Are you going to give it a go and report back?

Peter Keller

Sep 5, 2021, 5:48:34 AM9/5/21
On 5/09/21 06:53, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
>> This bypass was built in the 90's, The residents of Zeals and Bourton
>> held a street party when it was opened.
>> Doesn't change the fact that the footpath was there before the road
>> and pedestrians have right of way
>> I suppose one solution would be to put the bypass in a tunnel under
>> the footpath but that would cost millions and motorists are unwilling
>> to pay for their anti social habit.
>
> Prick

The body of mind set a treehouse on fire.

Mike Collins

Sep 5, 2021, 6:15:14 AM9/5/21
https://tinyurl.com/4vs4rpsn

Steps down the embankment on both sides and a gap in the barrier aligning with each steps. It could be not any clearer.

JNugent

Sep 5, 2021, 12:43:04 PM9/5/21
There is no gap in the barrier (at least, not according to the
photography on Google Streetview, which you posted).

If you are insistent to the contrary, don't be so timid. Give it a go,
preferably on your fairy-cycle, and let us all have a report.

Mike Collins

Sep 5, 2021, 1:23:37 PM9/5/21
Apart from the gap in the barrier.

> fairy-cycle

And lost the argument.

JNugent

Sep 5, 2021, 6:59:13 PM9/5/21
There is no gap in the barrier.

>> fairy-cycle
>
> And lost the argument.

<shrug>

Mike Collins

Sep 5, 2021, 7:22:29 PM9/5/21
Apart from the gap in the barrier which conveniently lines up with the steps on the embankment which conveniently line up with the footpath
Are you suggesting the Highways Agency decided to build steps down both embankments for fun?

JNugent

Sep 5, 2021, 7:47:46 PM9/5/21
There is no gap in the (Armco) barrier.

If there were, you could ride a fairy-cycle across that road.

Mike Collins

Sep 5, 2021, 11:48:33 PM9/5/21
Apart from the gap in the (Armco) barrier.

RJH

Sep 6, 2021, 2:53:57 AM9/6/21
I'm afraid I'm not seeing it either.

I'd guess those steps are from the footpath that now lies underneath the
bypass. Looks to be a crazy state of affairs.
--
Cheers, Rob

Mike Collins

Sep 6, 2021, 3:39:17 AM9/6/21
https://tinyurl.com/4vs4rpsn

> I'd guess those steps are from the footpath that now lies underneath the
> bypass.

No, the steps were only build when the bypass was built. Previously the footpath was on level land.

> Looks to be a crazy state of affairs.

Which does not change the fact pedestrians have right of way over traffic using the bypass.

colwyn

Sep 6, 2021, 3:51:27 AM9/6/21
Space (gap) between 'Armco'. Just takes a bit of meandering to cross!

Mike Collins

Sep 6, 2021, 4:52:09 AM9/6/21
ttps://tinyurl.com/4vs4rpsn
There is a paved walkway between the barriers that lines up with the footpath steps.
I am not sure why Pnugs can't see it.

Mike Collins

Sep 6, 2021, 4:55:49 AM9/6/21
Here is the view from the opposite carriageway for those who can't see it.

https://tinyurl.com/yua4j9df
Rotate the image and you will see the steps.

colwyn

Sep 6, 2021, 5:12:58 AM9/6/21
Well, once a statement has been made, some find it impossible to concede
that they have made a mistake.

TMS320

Sep 6, 2021, 5:15:59 AM9/6/21
On 05/09/2021 11:15, Mike Collins wrote:

> https://tinyurl.com/4vs4rpsn
>
> Steps down the embankment on both sides and a gap in the barrier
> aligning with each steps. It could be not any clearer.

The date on Google Earth shows it as a recent view. A scan along the
road shows several similar crossings. There is one that takes the
pedestrian onto one carriageway but there is no path leading off the
other. There is also at least one single track road that was turned into
two cul-de-sacs.

I drove this way when at Exeter University in the 70s and remember
driving through Mere and Wincanton before the bypass was finished. Yet,
45 years later, the people of Winterbourne-Stoke still have a village
that is cut in two.

TMS320

Sep 6, 2021, 5:20:24 AM9/6/21
On 06/09/2021 09:52, Mike Collins wrote:

> ttps://tinyurl.com/4vs4rpsn There is a paved walkway between the
> barriers that lines up with the footpath steps. I am not sure why
> Pnugs can't see it.

His screen is constantly being sprayed with spittle and his glasses are
permanently steamed up.

Mike Collins

Sep 6, 2021, 5:48:11 AM9/6/21
I went to Duchy Manor Middle School Mere in the 70's and remember both the Mere and Wincanton bypasses being built.
When they were linked in the 90's the people of Zeals had a street party.
The Zeals/ Bourton bypass was built across existing public footpaths which some unwashed Northerners still deny in spite of the evidence.

JNugent

Sep 6, 2021, 6:16:45 AM9/6/21
A scandal.

At the very least, a bypass of that village should have been completed
decades ago, even if only a mile long, single-carriageway and requiring
a quarter-mile link road at either end.

RJH

Sep 6, 2021, 6:20:32 AM9/6/21
Yes, I see/saw the steps. It was how the crossing continued over the
carriageway Armco barrier that I couldn't see. The bit of concrete standing
makes it a little clearer, but it still looks to me as though a degree of
clambering would be needed to get over the thing.

> Well, once a statement has been made, some find it impossible to concede
> that they have made a mistake.

Oh more than happy to concede if needed :-)

--
Cheers, Rob

JNugent

Sep 6, 2021, 6:21:42 AM9/6/21
Armco is installed in predetermined lengths (like railway lines), but
they are not laid out butted end-to-end like railway lines. They overlap
at each end in order to provide a stronger barrier and to prevent (as
far as possible) out of control vehicles from crashing through the
barrier onto the opposite carriageway *or* hitting the end of a section.
This has nothing to do with providing gaps" for crossing traffic. There
is no gap for crossing traffic at the place you cited. If there were
(there isn't), you would be able to ride your fairy-cycle across the
road (you couldn't).

JNugent

Sep 6, 2021, 6:22:44 AM9/6/21
You are absolutely sure that the footpath was not legally extinguished
and physically closed, are you?

Mike Collins

Sep 6, 2021, 7:38:19 AM9/6/21

Mike Collins

Sep 6, 2021, 7:42:37 AM9/6/21
Why would steps be build into the embankment on both sides if the footpath was not still active?
I suppose it is just a coincidence the gap in the barrier just happens to line up with the closed footpath on both carriageways and the paved walkway between the barriers was put there for fun.

Mike Collins

Sep 6, 2021, 7:49:31 AM9/6/21
I am aware motorists think Public Footpath is pronounced 'short cut' or 'free car park' but I do not ride my bicycle on them. I could easily walk on that footpath with my bicycle if motorists followed the Highway Code.

JNugent

Sep 6, 2021, 10:23:30 AM9/6/21
Who knows?

If you had a point to try to make, you would try to make it.

JNugent

Sep 6, 2021, 10:24:58 AM9/6/21
Maintenance access?

> I suppose it is just a coincidence the gap in the barrier just happens to line up with the closed footpath on both carriageways and the paved walkway between the barriers was put there for fun.

There is no gap in the central reservation barrier. If there were one,
you would be able to ride your fairy-cycle through it.

Have you checked an up to date map to trace the route of the current
footpath?

JNugent

Sep 6, 2021, 10:26:05 AM9/6/21
That's gibberish, isn't it?

TMS320

Sep 6, 2021, 12:34:56 PM9/6/21
On 06/09/2021 11:21, JNugent wrote:

> Armco is installed in predetermined lengths (like railway lines), but
> they are not laid out butted end-to-end like railway lines. They
> overlap at each end in order to provide a stronger barrier and to
> prevent (as far as possible) out of control vehicles from crashing
> through the barrier onto the opposite carriageway *or* hitting the
> end of a section. This has nothing to do with providing gaps" for
> crossing traffic.

Blimey.

> There is no gap for crossing traffic at the place
> you cited. If there were (there isn't),

Then it can only be a coincidence that an overlap has been placed at
all such footpath crossing points along that road.

> you would be able to ride your fairy-cycle across the road (you
> couldn't).

Would this be by law or through the normal desire to remain alive?

JNugent

Sep 6, 2021, 1:03:52 PM9/6/21
Neither of those.

TMS320

Sep 6, 2021, 1:07:15 PM9/6/21
Oh, I did not realise that it had been done in two sections with a
middle section added sometime later. No wonder I can't connect what is
there now with what I remember.

Though I expect the street parties were a bit premature because local
traffic on its own is probably higher now than off season traffic was
back then.

Mike Collins

Sep 6, 2021, 1:49:37 PM9/6/21
And maintenance access requirements just happed to line up with the public footpath and the convenient gap in the barrier.
Not sure what sort of highway maintenance you could perform with steps on the embankment and a gap in the central barrier.

Mike Collins

Sep 6, 2021, 1:51:53 PM9/6/21
No, it's English.
I could have in translated into Thieving Scally for you.

Mr Pounder Esquire

Sep 6, 2021, 2:08:42 PM9/6/21
Prick.

TMS320

Sep 6, 2021, 2:28:23 PM9/6/21
Then, apart from care and patience, there is nothing to stop it from
being crossed.

JNugent

Sep 6, 2021, 8:21:40 PM9/6/21
You can't do any unless you can get down onto the carriageway. That
would include litter-picking, mowing of verges, etc.

JNugent

Sep 6, 2021, 8:23:35 PM9/6/21
There are physical.. er... barriers to that.

Peter Keller

Sep 7, 2021, 5:16:47 AM9/7/21
On 7/09/21 06:08, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

> Prick.

A glittering gem is like a painted flower; it never wilts.

TMS320

Sep 7, 2021, 8:27:34 AM9/7/21
What a daft comment. If you can't see lorries with yellow livery and a
barrage of flashing lights, please hand in your driving license immediately.

TMS320

Sep 7, 2021, 8:34:44 AM9/7/21
I am sure it could be done without putting feet on the ground.

JNugent

Sep 7, 2021, 8:58:31 AM9/7/21
:-)

Where do you get these from, Peter?

You respond so quickly and surely.

JNugent

Sep 7, 2021, 9:04:11 AM9/7/21
Eh?

Litter-picking in these parts (on a nearby 70mph dual carriageway bypass
with an A-number with steep verges because built in a cutting - like the
one cited) does not involve lorries. How would a lorry pick litter?

Mowing is done by a special vehicle with an extending "jib" with the
mower attached, but even that requires other people working on foot to
mow the bits the vehicle can't reach. It's done by workers on foot with
petrol mowers and battery-powered "strimmer" tools.

There, are, of course, other sorts of necessary maintenance, including
the clearance of drains and gulleys.

JNugent

Sep 7, 2021, 9:05:13 AM9/7/21
Would you confidently send your 12-yr-old child on such a bicycle "route"?

colwyn

Sep 7, 2021, 9:35:47 AM9/7/21
What's the problem with your very own Fairy-Cycle?

Fairy paths and dwellings

In some parts of Ireland, Brittany and Germany[2] there were fairy or
spirit paths that while being invisible nevertheless had such perceived
geographical reality in the minds of the country people that building
practices were adapted to ensure they were not obstructed. A significant
number of the characteristics of fairy paths are shared in common with
ley lines. In many parts of Northern Europe the round barrows were the
traditional homes of the fairies, elves, or trolls and were avoided by
the country folk. Such places were Fairy Toot in Somerset, Elf Howe
barrow near Folkton, Yorkshire, and a round barrow at Beedon in
Berkshire. Cornwall was and is a stronghold of fairy lore: fairies are
said to dance on Carn Gluze, near St Just in Penwith.[3] In Danish
Jutland there was a belief that "Barrow-folk" dwelt in barrows and were
descendants of fallen angels cast out of Heaven.[4] Likewise, it was
considered bad luck to let cattle graze on any place where the Elf-folk
have been, or to let the cattle mingle with the large blue cattle of the
elves. However, all evils may be averted if one were to ask at an
"Elf-barrow" for permission to graze cattle on their mound.[4] Some
Danish "Elf-barrows" included one near Galtebjerg, another not far from
Kalundborg; one between Thisted and Aalborg that was said to be the home
of an elfin smith; two near Sundby where a troll-smith would ride from
one to the other followed by his apprentices and journeymen; and one at
Tröstrup where according to legend a giant was buried, and it was said
his daughter wandered across the fields and one day met a ploughman whom
she took back to her father who then set the man free, fearing that
they'd be driven out of their barrow.[4] In Sweden similar beliefs
existed and one barrow called Helvetesbacke ("Hell's mouth") that lies
near Kråktorps gård, Småland, was claimed to be the burial mound of
Odin.[5] In Germany the Wild Troop of Rodenstein was said to ride a
straight path between the castles of Rodenstein and Schnellert. Also
throughout Europe are Corpse roads, which are generally believed to be
of the same basic belief as fairy paths and most likely share an
origin.[6] In Germany and the Netherlands in particular, these tend to
be straight invisible lines and are known by a variety of names
including Geisterweg ("ghost-way" or "ghost-road") and Helweg
("hell-way" or "hell-road") in German[7] and Doodweg ("death-way" or
"death-road") in Dutch.[8] A similarly straight road did however run
straight over various burial mounds at Rösaring, Lassa in southern
Sweden.[9]

Consequences of blocking fairy paths

A Fairy Ring of mushrooms
In Ireland, people who had illnesses or other misfortune, were said to
live in houses that were "in the way" or in a "contrary place",
obstructing a fairy path. An example is that of a family in which four
children sickened and died, leaving the doctors baffled. The fifth child
sickened and was near death, only to make a sudden and full recovery.
The father told the doctor that he had consulted a wise woman who
informed him that his new house extension blocked a fairy path between
two fairy forts, whereupon he demolished it and his child became healthy
again.[10]

Fairies of the meadow, by Nils Blommér
An example of this fairy path straightness is provided by an account
concerning a croft (now a cattle shed) at Knockeencreen, Brosna, County
Kerry. In an interview in the 1980s, the last human occupant told of the
troubles his grandfather had experienced there, with his cattle
periodically and inexplicably dying. The front door is exactly opposite
the back door. The grandfather was informed by a passing Gypsy that the
dwelling stands on a fairy path running between two hills. The Gypsy
advised the grandfather to keep the doors slightly ajar at night to
allow the fairies free passage. The advice was heeded and the problem
ceased. It so happens that the building is indeed on a straight line
drawn between two local hilltops, and is, moreover, at one end of a
long, straight track.[11][12]

The fairies processed from Rath Ringlestown in Ireland every night and
parents brought their children in before the fairies were due to pass.
The path passed round several bushes which were left undisturbed by the
locals. A man who cut down one bush could not get it to burn and
sickened and died within a short while as a supposed consequence of his
actions. The route also passed between two mud-wall houses and a man who
was out at the wrong time was found dead; the fairies having taken him
for getting in the way of the procession.[12] A traditional folk tale
from the Southern Shore of Newfoundland, Canada, concerns a young
married couple who discovered that they had built their house on a path
used by the good people, and the steps that couple take to rid
themselves of fairy mischief. It seems therefore that the fairy folk had
emigrated together with their human counterparts or had been in Canada
from time immemorial.[13]

Home-owners have knocked corners from houses because the corner blocked
the fairy path,[14] and cottages have been built with the front and back
doors in line, so that the owners could, in need, leave them both open
and let the fairies troop through all night.[15]

It was believed that a house built on a fairy path would suffer from
midnight noises or supernatural manifestations. Ill-luck in the form of
sick farm animals or personal illness could be the result and one remedy
was to build small fires in several places along the fairy path, using
fire from the blessed fire of Saint John's Eve that was lit every year
at sunset on 23 June.[16]

Detecting fairy paths and overcoming their influence

Some builders used to use a technique to see if the planned construction
was going to be on a fairy path; they would map out the floor plan in
the earth and place a pile of stones at each corner and leave it
overnight, if the stones were undisturbed it was safe to build,
otherwise the work would not continue. There is another theme that
states if one's house is on a fairy path, one must leave the doors and
windows open at night, front and back, to allow fairies to pass through.
Builders were also advised against using white quartz in their
stonework, as it is said to be a fairy stone.[17]

Wise-women were thought to be able to advise home builders of the
existence of fairy paths, however in most folk-tales they are only
consulted after the event and as a result of disturbances, bad luck, etc.

A building placed on a fairy path would be demolished by the fairy folk,
at least twice, often remaining standing however on the third attempt.[18]

Walking along fairy paths
Paths that the fairies travel along are usually stated as being best
avoided, however they also had certain benefits to humans, such as with
'trods' in the West of England. These are a straight-line fairy path in
the grass of a field with a different shade of green to the rest. People
with rheumatism sought relief by walking along these tracks, though
animals avoid them. Great danger was still very much associated with
using these paths at times when a supernatural procession might be using
them. Fairy rings have certain elements in common with this phenomenon
and were seen as 'gateways' into the realm of supernatural beings.[19]

The Tylwyth teg of Wales have paths on which it is death for a mortal to
walk.[20]

The Breton Ankou, who is king of the dead, and his subjects have their
own particular paths along which they process.[21]

Underwater fairy paths
Irish fairy paths are said to also exist under water, reminiscent of
causeways in marshes at sacred sites and those to crannogs and other
islands. These paths, only used by the fairy folk, ran from one island
to another and were paved with coral, making them and their travellers
visible to fishermen in their boats above.[22]

JNugent

Sep 7, 2021, 12:18:23 PM9/7/21
;-)

Now you're being ridiculous!

TMS320

Sep 9, 2021, 8:51:34 AM9/9/21
On 07/09/2021 14:04, JNugent wrote:
> On 07/09/2021 01:27 pm, TMS320 wrote:

>>> You can't do any unless you can get down onto the carriageway. That
>>> would include litter-picking, mowing of verges, etc.
>>
>> What a daft comment. If you can't see lorries with yellow livery and a
>> barrage of flashing lights, please hand in your driving license
>> immediately.
>
> Eh?
>
> Litter-picking in these parts (on a nearby 70mph dual carriageway bypass
> with an A-number with steep verges because built in a cutting - like the
> one cited) does not involve lorries. How would a lorry pick litter?

Sigh. The lorry carries and protects the pickers.

JNugent

Sep 9, 2021, 8:59:42 AM9/9/21
Not everywhere.

TMS320

Sep 9, 2021, 9:01:58 AM9/9/21
On 07/09/2021 14:05, JNugent wrote:
What does that have to with your claim that it couldn't be done?

JNugent

Sep 9, 2021, 9:16:40 AM9/9/21
Do you really insist that the narrow gap between two lengths of Armco
running closely in parallel for an overlap is a "cycle route"?

Yes / No?

And if you do (it does, after all, take all sorts), would you
confidently send your 12-yr-old child on such a bicycle "route"?

Yes / No?

colwyn

Sep 9, 2021, 2:57:13 PM9/9/21
Has he ever claimed, that it is more than a "public footpath" or "right
of way"?
He never mentioned fairy-cycles.

TMS320

Sep 9, 2021, 3:34:43 PM9/9/21
How do the workers get from the depot to the road? Have you ever noticed
how much rubbish gets dumped alongside a main road (clue, it is more
than will fit in a bin bag)? How is all this rubbish carried away after
it has been collected?

TMS320

Sep 9, 2021, 4:20:04 PM9/9/21
On 09/09/2021 14:16, JNugent wrote:
> [...]

<...>

<...>
>>> Would you confidently send your 12-yr-old child on such a
>>> bicycle "route"?
>>
>> What does that have to with your claim that it couldn't be done?
>
> Do you really insist that the narrow gap between two lengths of
> Armco running closely in parallel for an overlap is a "cycle route"?
>
> Yes / No?
>
> And if you do (it does, after all, take all sorts), would you
> confidently send your 12-yr-old child on such a bicycle "route"?
>
> Yes / No?

Your claim (on 6/9/21 11:21, at the top) was that it would not be
possible to cycle across the road. Why do you insist on following up
with completely irrelevant questions?

JNugent

Sep 10, 2021, 7:47:53 AM9/10/21
On 09/09/2021 07:57 pm, colwyn wrote:
> On 09/09/2021 14:16, JNugent wrote:

[ ... ]

>>> What does that have to with your claim that it couldn't be done?
>
>> Do you really insist that the narrow gap between two lengths of Armco
>> running closely in parallel for an overlap is a "cycle route"?
>
>> Yes / No?
>
>> And if you do (it does, after all, take all sorts), would you
> confidently send your 12-yr-old child on such a bicycle "route"?
>>
> Yes / No?
>
> Has he ever claimed, that it is more than a "public footpath" or "right
> of way"?
> He never mentioned fairy-cycles.

Well, actually... yes. It's there above. Note the bit about not having
to put one's feet on the ground.

JNugent

Sep 10, 2021, 7:49:19 AM9/10/21
You'd have to ask the people doing it. There is no lorry parked in the
nearside lane and there is no roadside terrain suitable for parking any
vehicle other than something like a fairy-cycle or a quad-bike.

JNugent

Sep 10, 2021, 8:08:44 AM9/10/21
That it may be (just) possible, for someone determined enough to prove a
flaky "point" and dismissive of their own safety and that of others, to
ride a fairy-cycle around the double U-bend of an Armco overlap,
including crossing each carriageway without putting their feet on the
ground (as you claimed) doesn't make it a fairy-cycle route.

I have seen video of fairy-cyclists cycling along the tops of walls, up
and down staircases and similar architectural features. That doesn't
make such things fairy-cycle-routes.

I have seen - many times - fairy-cyclists riding along footways. That
does not make footways fairy-cycle routes.

Mike Collins

Sep 10, 2021, 12:22:25 PM9/10/21
I am sure you would like to make some pedantic point about the difference in the gap between and in the Armco.

TMS320

Sep 10, 2021, 2:51:57 PM9/10/21
Your initial claim was that this is impossible. It was this that I
replied to.

> including crossing each carriageway without putting their feet on the
> ground (as you claimed) doesn't make it a fairy-cycle route.

Your initial claim said nothing about cycle routes. It is perfectly
obvious it is not a cycle route.

Mike Collins

Sep 11, 2021, 7:46:53 AM9/11/21
On Monday, 6 September 2021 at 11:21:42 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
> Armco is installed in predetermined lengths (like railway lines), but
> they are not laid out butted end-to-end like railway lines.

How long are these sections?
You admit they would have to be transported to site on a road vehicle which limits their length to that of a LGV.
Unlike railway lines the central barriers are transported in short lengths then bolted together on site to form a continuous barrier unless there is a reason to terminate the barrier such as a road junction or a footpath.

JNugent

Sep 11, 2021, 9:15:54 AM9/11/21
...and yet someone claimed that the "route" from one side of the road to
the other (verge to verge) could be negotiated (on a fairy-cycle)
without putting one's feet on the ground.

colwyn

Sep 11, 2021, 3:00:01 PM9/11/21
Well, you were the one introducing the concept of the fairy-cycle on
the 5th of Sept @ 10.46 am
Here it is for those with attention span deficiency:

TMS320

Sep 13, 2021, 8:38:37 AM9/13/21
Hindsight makes it easier to clutch at straws. You still claimed it was
not possible to ride a bicycle.

JNugent

Sep 13, 2021, 8:51:33 AM9/13/21
I still say that, albeit with the rider "safely" (which is why I asked
the question about a 12-yr-old, which you didn't answer).

I'd add in "considerately" if it were likely to make much difference.

And of course, I am only taking your word as to it being possible to
ride from verge to verge without setting a foot upon the ground.

But be that as it may. There *are* some modern dual-carriageway roads
built to such low standards, that there are at-grade pedestrian crossing
points. There are even some places where wheeled traffic has to turn
across the opposite carriageway because the design didn't cater for a
grade-separated junction and the bridge necessary for it. Signage
advising approaching road-users of such places (and the hazard thus
caused) is always provided.

Mike Collins

Sep 13, 2021, 8:15:18 PM9/13/21
You can only back pedal on a fixer unless you have a coaster brake.

JNugent

Sep 14, 2021, 8:36:13 AM9/14/21
Is that one of those "Beat The Clock" games where the contestant has to
re-arrange random words into a string that makes sense?