Thief takes stolen bike to his grandmother’s – and gets caught thanks to her CCTV

13 views
Skip to first unread message

swldx...@gmail.com

unread,
Nov 1, 2021, 10:24:12 AM11/1/21
to
A court has heard that a bike thief was caught in Gateshead after he was filmed by his grandmother’s CCTV as he wheeled the bike into her home.

The hoodie that Matthew Herron, aged 21 and from South Shields, was wearing when he went to his gran’s house on Tuesday 28 September this year was identical to one worn by the person who stole a bike from a property in Stewartsfield, Rowlands Gill, reports Chronicle Live (link is external).

Herron, who three days earlier had stolen a television in a burglary from another premises in Rowlands Gill, pleaded guilty to burglary of a dwelling and theft, as well as theft of a pedal cycle.

He was also charged with two counts of attempted burglary with intent to steal from premises in Gateshead on 28 September, but did not enter a plea on either of those charges.

Becky Slade, prosecuting at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court, said: “He has taken the bike from a rear garden.

“CCTV in his grandmother’s house shows him with an Apollo bike. He also had on a hoodie top he was seen in when committing the offence.”

Herron will be sentenced on Thursday 25 November at Newcastle Crown Court and has been granted bail on the condition that he adheres to a curfew from 9pm to 7am.

https://road.cc/content/news/thief-takes-stolen-bike-grans-caught-her-cctv-287453

JNugent

unread,
Nov 1, 2021, 10:52:47 AM11/1/21
to
On 01/11/2021 02:24 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> A court has heard that a fairy-bike thief was caught in Gateshead after he was filmed by his grandmother’s CCTV as he wheeled the fairy-bike into her home.

Did he check the tyres for dog-droppings before wheeling the fairy-cycle
into his grandmother's abode?

> The hoodie that Matthew Herron, aged 21 and from South Shields, was wearing when he went to his gran’s house on Tuesday 28 September this year was identical to one worn by the person who stole a fairy-bike from a property in Stewartsfield, Rowlands Gill, reports Chronicle Live (link is external).
>
> Herron, who three days earlier had stolen a television in a burglary from another premises in Rowlands Gill, pleaded guilty to burglary of a dwelling and theft, as well as theft of a pedal fairy-cycle.
>
> He was also charged with two counts of attempted burglary with intent to steal from premises in Gateshead on 28 September, but did not enter a plea on either of those charges.
>
> Becky Slade, prosecuting at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court, said: “He has taken the fairy-bike from a rear garden.
>
> “CCTV in his grandmother’s house shows him with an Apollo fairy-bike. He also had on a hoodie top he was seen in when committing the offence.”

swldx...@gmail.com

unread,
Nov 1, 2021, 1:06:30 PM11/1/21
to
On Monday, November 1, 2021 at 2:24:12 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

wycombewheeler | 2649 posts | 3 hours ago
1 like


who steals an apollo bike? The tools required to cut the lock are probably worth more than the bike.

<g> LOL.

>
> https://road.cc/content/news/thief-takes-stolen-bike-grans-caught-her-cctv-287453

Rob Morley

unread,
Nov 26, 2021, 8:07:41 AM11/26/21
to
On Mon, 1 Nov 2021 10:06:27 -0700 (PDT)
"swldx...@gmail.com" <swldx...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> who steals an apollo bike? The tools required to cut the lock are
> probably worth more than the bike.
>
Clearly not the sharpest knife in the drawer - I expect the owner
didn't bother much with security because "who nicks an Apollo?"

jnuge...@gmail.com

unread,
Nov 27, 2021, 11:24:25 PM11/27/21
to
On Friday, November 26, 2021 at 7:07:41 AM UTC-6, Rob Morley wrote:

> "swldx...@gmail.com" <swldx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > who steals an apollo bike? The tools required to cut the lock are
> > probably worth more than the bike.
>
> Clearly not the sharpest knife in the drawer - I expect the owner
> didn't bother much with security because "who nicks an Apollo?"

Did they manage to catch him by noting the registration number on the bike?

Oh, hang on...
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages