Ford launches ‘Park the Car’ initiative

swldx...@gmail.com

May 17, 2022, 1:28:42 PM5/17/22
In an unexpected turn of events, American automobile manufacturer Ford has launched its ‘Park the Car’ initiative, which aims to encourage motorists to swap the car for active travel for short journeys of up to five kilometres.

In a statement released last week, Ford of Europe’s President Stuart Rowley announced that the company will be supporting and investing in active travel schemes, and has set a target of one million urban “journey swaps” over the next 12 months.

Rowley says that encouraging active travel is essential for both “securing a greener future for everyone” and helping people “live a healthier, longer life”.

While the West Midlands Cycling and Walking Commissioner Adam Tranter is prepared to give Ford the benefit of the doubt, others were dubious about the car maker’s motives:

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-17-may-2022-292815#live-blog-item-34117

Spike

May 18, 2022, 4:30:34 AM5/18/22
On 17/05/2022 17:28, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> encouraging active travel is essential for both “securing a greener future for everyone” and helping people “live a healthier, longer life”.

"We cannot point to a single cyclist that has been saved"

--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

May 18, 2022, 5:59:00 AM5/18/22
Automaker Ford have launched a new campaign “Park The Car”, acknowledging that, even with EVs, “a traffic jam with no emissions is still a traffic jam”.

Ford’s President describes driving short journeys as a habit “many of us must change”, suggesting walking or cycling instead.

(((APPLAUSE)))

Spike

May 18, 2022, 9:28:39 AM5/18/22
must change”, quite possibly before getting into the chauffeur'd limo?

--
Spike

JNugent

May 18, 2022, 9:32:09 AM5/18/22
I wonder what John "Chauffeur-driven limo for 100 yards from hotel to
conference centre" Prescott would say about it?

Other than that it was alright as long as it only applied to little
people, I mean.

Spike

May 18, 2022, 9:59:17 AM5/18/22
Quite. And the little people fall for it.

--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

May 18, 2022, 11:49:05 AM5/18/22
We are already working hard to bring about the electrification revolution – targeting 600,000 all-electric vehicle sales by 2026. By 2035, we will achieve zero emissions for all vehicle sales and carbon neutrality across our European footprint of facilities, logistics and suppliers.

But there is something else we can all do, right now. Park the car.

https://www.ford.co.uk/experience-ford/ford-blog/new-initiative-park-the-car

Mike Collins

May 21, 2022, 4:52:45 AM5/21/22
He would turn around, identify his target and punch someone. The victim would be arrested and charged with something the Police later made up after searching through the law books to see what they could charge the victim with.

JNugent

May 21, 2022, 10:05:50 AM5/21/22
I fear that you are correct.

swldx...@gmail.com

May 21, 2022, 10:24:23 AM5/21/22
Saw loads of cyclists and electric cars in London today - ULEZ must be working!

Mike Collins

May 21, 2022, 12:54:28 PM5/21/22
In what way? A tax payer threw an egg on a taxpayer owned jacket and the freeloading parasite punched him.
The victim was arrested and the assailant walked away with tax payer funded Police protection.

Spike

May 22, 2022, 4:52:13 AM5/22/22
On 21/05/2022 14:24, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Saw loads of cyclists and electric cars in London today - ULEZ must be working!

But what is London's ULEZ working at, apart from filling coffers?

--
Spike

JNugent

May 22, 2022, 7:12:28 AM5/22/22
My reading of that incident was that rather than making a political
point, the egg-thrower was seeking local notoriety and "kudos", which
was hardly praiseworthy.

But Prescott's reaction was well OTT.

They were as bad as each other.
Message has been deleted

swldx...@gmail.com

May 22, 2022, 8:32:26 AM5/22/22
My car is ULEZ exempt and I didn't drive into the Congestion Charge zone - win win.

Spike

May 22, 2022, 12:29:29 PM5/22/22
On 22/05/2022 12:22, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, May 21, 2022 at 3:24:23 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> My car is ULEX exempt and I didn't drive into the Congestion Charge zone - win win.

And what pollution did your trip produce? You do know, don't you?

--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

May 22, 2022, 12:32:04 PM5/22/22
We even walked a mile to the car parking instead of taking a taxi.

Spike

May 22, 2022, 12:34:10 PM5/22/22
On 22/05/2022 12:32, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> My car is ULEZ exempt and I didn't drive into the Congestion Charge zone - win win.

How much better for the environment had you not made the journey at all.

--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

May 22, 2022, 12:37:05 PM5/22/22

> In a statement released last week, Ford of Europe’s President Stuart Rowley announced that the company will be supporting and investing in active travel schemes, and has set a target of one million urban “journey swaps” over the next 12 months.

Good to know that I made the choice of car that I did with that sort of positive policy.

Spike

May 22, 2022, 12:52:48 PM5/22/22
So you avoided the delights of London's public transport?

--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

May 22, 2022, 12:55:29 PM5/22/22
On Sunday, May 22, 2022 at 5:32:04 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Saw loads of cyclists and electric cars in London today - ULEZ must be working!
> > My car is ULEZ exempt and I didn't drive into the Congestion Charge zone - win win.
> We even walked a mile to the car parking instead of taking a taxi.

Might as well make use of the "cleaner" air - ho ho.

Spike

May 22, 2022, 12:56:30 PM5/22/22
On 22/05/2022 16:37, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> In a statement released last week, Ford of Europe’s President Stuart Rowley announced that the company will be supporting and investing in active travel schemes, and has set a target of one million urban “journey swaps” over the next 12 months.

> Good to know that I made the choice of car that I did with that sort of positive policy.

Careful - Elaine Robinson was conceived on the back seat of a Ford.

--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

May 22, 2022, 12:58:08 PM5/22/22
Despite this tragedy:
A coroner has called for a change in the law after air pollution led to the death of a nine-year-old girl. Ella Adoo-Kissi-Debrah, who lived near the South Circular Road in Lewisham, south-east London, died in 2013. An inquest had found air pollution "made a material contribution" to her death.

Spike

May 22, 2022, 1:03:22 PM5/22/22
On 22/05/2022 16:58, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> An inquest had found air pollution "made a material contribution" to her death.

The London smog of 1952 killed quite a few as well, much of it covered up.

--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

May 22, 2022, 1:06:56 PM5/22/22
On Tuesday, May 17, 2022 at 6:28:42 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> In an unexpected turn of events, American automobile manufacturer Ford has launched its ‘Park the Car’ initiative, which aims to encourage motorists to swap the car for active travel for short journeys of up to five kilometres.

Can your average obese car occupant walk as far as 5km though?
It's a tough ask.